SQL Server 2008

Hi:

I realize that these newsgroups are mostly for technical discussions.  So,
if it's more appropriate to point me to another site for answers to the
questions that I'm about to ask, then please do so.

I just learned that there is going to be a SQL Server 2008.  I am a
certified DBA (MCITP) for SQL Server 2005.  Will there be an exam upgrade
path from 2005 to 2008?  Does anyone out there have any certification
information for 2008, even though 2008 is not out yet?  Will the SQL Server
2005 MCITP certification expire anytime soon?

More importantly, will there be compatibility issues with GP?

Thanks!

childofthe1980s

Hmmm....lets see...compatibility issues of non-existant software with new
untested software (SQL2008 vs GP V10).  Anyone want to offer a guarantee?

Child, Im sure MS will work to minimize problems like this, the MBS team or
what ever they call themselves now have a vested intersted in selling MS
products like 2008.  But there are never guarantees in SW.

As for certs, Im fairly certian MS will have a new test for 2008.  and a new
certification.  And as for expirations, as far as I know, Im still certified
for the OSI-65U operating system, but who has used it in the last 30 years?
If you value certifications, you will want to take the new test when
available.  Im sure someone will have a study guide (not us, its not our
line!)

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"childofthe1980s" wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I realize that these newsgroups are mostly for technical discussions.  So,
> if it's more appropriate to point me to another site for answers to the
> questions that I'm about to ask, then please do so.
>
> I just learned that there is going to be a SQL Server 2008.  I am a
> certified DBA (MCITP) for SQL Server 2005.  Will there be an exam upgrade
> path from 2005 to 2008?  Does anyone out there have any certification
> information for 2008, even though 2008 is not out yet?  Will the SQL Server
> 2005 MCITP certification expire anytime soon?
>
> More importantly, will there be compatibility issues with GP?
>
> Thanks!
>
> childofthe1980s
0
info4071 (3004)
6/24/2007 2:49:00 PM
Okay, okay!!!

I was just asking some questions.  There was no need to belittle me or to
offer sarcasm, especially to someone who could be (or was!) a potential
purchaser of your books.

MG!  Your sarcasm really was not appreciated!

childofthe1980s

"Richard L. Whaley" wrote:

> Hmmm....lets see...compatibility issues of non-existant software with new
> untested software (SQL2008 vs GP V10).  Anyone want to offer a guarantee?
>
> Child, Im sure MS will work to minimize problems like this, the MBS team or
> what ever they call themselves now have a vested intersted in selling MS
> products like 2008.  But there are never guarantees in SW.
>
> As for certs, Im fairly certian MS will have a new test for 2008.  and a new
> certification.  And as for expirations, as far as I know, Im still certified
> for the OSI-65U operating system, but who has used it in the last 30 years?
> If you value certifications, you will want to take the new test when
> available.  Im sure someone will have a study guide (not us, its not our
> line!)
>
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "childofthe1980s" wrote:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > I realize that these newsgroups are mostly for technical discussions.  So,
> > if it's more appropriate to point me to another site for answers to the
> > questions that I'm about to ask, then please do so.
> >
> > I just learned that there is going to be a SQL Server 2008.  I am a
> > certified DBA (MCITP) for SQL Server 2005.  Will there be an exam upgrade
> > path from 2005 to 2008?  Does anyone out there have any certification
> > information for 2008, even though 2008 is not out yet?  Will the SQL Server
> > 2005 MCITP certification expire anytime soon?
> >
> > More importantly, will there be compatibility issues with GP?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > childofthe1980s
sorry Cot80s....Ive been in a strange mood the past few days....busy writing
another one.....never knew writing could be sooooo tiring....it was meant
tongue in cheek.....guess I should leave the comedy to the pros.

--

"childofthe1980s" wrote:

> Okay, okay!!!
>
> I was just asking some questions.  There was no need to belittle me or to
> offer sarcasm, especially to someone who could be (or was!) a potential
> purchaser of your books.
>
> MG!  Your sarcasm really was not appreciated!
>
> childofthe1980s
>
> "Richard L. Whaley" wrote:
>
> > Hmmm....lets see...compatibility issues of non-existant software with new
> > untested software (SQL2008 vs GP V10).  Anyone want to offer a guarantee?
> >
> > Child, Im sure MS will work to minimize problems like this, the MBS team or
> > what ever they call themselves now have a vested intersted in selling MS
> > products like 2008.  But there are never guarantees in SW.
> >
> > As for certs, Im fairly certian MS will have a new test for 2008.  and a new
> > certification.  And as for expirations, as far as I know, Im still certified
> > for the OSI-65U operating system, but who has used it in the last 30 years?
> > If you value certifications, you will want to take the new test when
> > available.  Im sure someone will have a study guide (not us, its not our
> > line!)
> >
> > --
> > Richard L. Whaley
> > Author / Consultant / MVP
> > Documentation for Software Users
> >
> > Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
> > http://www.AccoladePublications.com
> >

> > "childofthe1980s" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > I realize that these newsgroups are mostly for technical discussions.  So,
> > > if it's more appropriate to point me to another site for answers to the
> > > questions that I'm about to ask, then please do so.
> > >
> > > I just learned that there is going to be a SQL Server 2008.  I am a
> > > certified DBA (MCITP) for SQL Server 2005.  Will there be an exam upgrade
> > > path from 2005 to 2008?  Does anyone out there have any certification
> > > information for 2008, even though 2008 is not out yet?  Will the SQL Server
> > > 2005 MCITP certification expire anytime soon?
> > >
> > > More importantly, will there be compatibility issues with GP?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > childofthe1980s
0
info4071 (3004)
6/24/2007 9:59:00 PM
Child,

As an experienced Microsoft product user, you know yourself there are no
answers this early in the game. Additionally, you know there are other
newsgroups that specialize in SQL Server that would probably be a better
place to ask questions regarding new versions.

Once MBS announces support for 2008, they'll tell you which versions of GP
are supported. My money's on v10 only.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"Richard L. Whaley" wrote:

> sorry Cot80s....Ive been in a strange mood the past few days....busy writing
> another one.....never knew writing could be sooooo tiring....it was meant
> tongue in cheek.....guess I should leave the comedy to the pros.
>
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "childofthe1980s" wrote:
>
> > Okay, okay!!!
> >
> > I was just asking some questions.  There was no need to belittle me or to
> > offer sarcasm, especially to someone who could be (or was!) a potential
> > purchaser of your books.
> >
> > MG!  Your sarcasm really was not appreciated!
> >
> > childofthe1980s
> >
> > "Richard L. Whaley" wrote:
> >
> > > Hmmm....lets see...compatibility issues of non-existant software with new
> > > untested software (SQL2008 vs GP V10).  Anyone want to offer a guarantee?
> > >
> > > Child, Im sure MS will work to minimize problems like this, the MBS team or
> > > what ever they call themselves now have a vested intersted in selling MS
> > > products like 2008.  But there are never guarantees in SW.
> > >
> > > As for certs, Im fairly certian MS will have a new test for 2008.  and a new
> > > certification.  And as for expirations, as far as I know, Im still certified
> > > for the OSI-65U operating system, but who has used it in the last 30 years?
> > > If you value certifications, you will want to take the new test when
> > > available.  Im sure someone will have a study guide (not us, its not our
> > > line!)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Richard L. Whaley
> > > Author / Consultant / MVP
> > > Documentation for Software Users
> > >
> > > Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
> > > http://www.AccoladePublications.com

0
callen (2505)
6/24/2007 10:49:01 PM
I agree with everything Charles said except I would have to think that GP 9
will be (eventually) supported on SQL 2008 since GP 9 is supported through
Jan 2011.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message
> Child,
>
> As an experienced Microsoft product user, you know yourself there are no
> answers this early in the game. Additionally, you know there are other
> newsgroups that specialize in SQL Server that would probably be a better
> place to ask questions regarding new versions.
>
> Once MBS announces support for 2008, they'll tell you which versions of GP
> are supported. My money's on v10 only.
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP
>

> "Richard L. Whaley" wrote:
>
>> sorry Cot80s....Ive been in a strange mood the past few days....busy
>> writing
>> another one.....never knew writing could be sooooo tiring....it was meant
>> tongue in cheek.....guess I should leave the comedy to the pros.
>>
>> --
>> Richard L. Whaley
>> Author / Consultant / MVP
>> Documentation for Software Users
>>
>> Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
>> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>>

>> "childofthe1980s" wrote:
>>
>> > Okay, okay!!!
>> >
>> > I was just asking some questions.  There was no need to belittle me or
>> > offer sarcasm, especially to someone who could be (or was!) a potential
>> > purchaser of your books.
>> >
>> > MG!  Your sarcasm really was not appreciated!
>> >
>> > childofthe1980s

0
victoria (3340)
6/25/2007 12:50:17 PM
apology accepted

"Richard L. Whaley" wrote:

> sorry Cot80s....Ive been in a strange mood the past few days....busy writing
> another one.....never knew writing could be sooooo tiring....it was meant
> tongue in cheek.....guess I should leave the comedy to the pros.
>
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "childofthe1980s" wrote:
>
> > Okay, okay!!!
> >
> > I was just asking some questions.  There was no need to belittle me or to
> > offer sarcasm, especially to someone who could be (or was!) a potential
> > purchaser of your books.
> >
> > MG!  Your sarcasm really was not appreciated!
> >
> > childofthe1980s
> >
> > "Richard L. Whaley" wrote:
> >
> > > Hmmm....lets see...compatibility issues of non-existant software with new
> > > untested software (SQL2008 vs GP V10).  Anyone want to offer a guarantee?
> > >
> > > Child, Im sure MS will work to minimize problems like this, the MBS team or
> > > what ever they call themselves now have a vested intersted in selling MS
> > > products like 2008.  But there are never guarantees in SW.
> > >
> > > As for certs, Im fairly certian MS will have a new test for 2008.  and a new
> > > certification.  And as for expirations, as far as I know, Im still certified
> > > for the OSI-65U operating system, but who has used it in the last 30 years?
> > > If you value certifications, you will want to take the new test when
> > > available.  Im sure someone will have a study guide (not us, its not our
> > > line!)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Richard L. Whaley
> > > Author / Consultant / MVP
> > > Documentation for Software Users
> > >
> > > Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
> > > http://www.AccoladePublications.com

outlook/server
is there a way to set outlook so that i can have it delete messages from the server after a certain amount of days like outlook express? thank you for your help... In Outlook, Open the email properties, click the advanced button. Look at the option to leave a copy of the mail on the server for 10 days. "chris" <chingchanlee@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:03db01c3553c$6efefff0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > is there a way to set outlook so that i can have it > delete messages from the server after a certain amount of > days like outlook express? thank you for your hel...

Pass-through SQL problem
I have a Passthrough-SQL routine that reads a text file (a collection of DROP and CREATE statements for Stored Procedures) and runs the statements to create the Stored Procedures in the proper company. I have been using this for a while without any errors. I just added a new Stored Procedure to the file. When I run it in development, it runs fine and creates the SP. When I run it in production, it will not create the stored procedure. First, is there a size limitation in the a "string" local variable? I accumulate all of the procedure before running it (I have to or it fa...

for just a particular mail server communication is not even going out
Internally I've managed to set up communication between exchange 2003 servers in two different internal forests. I was new to DNS and the like, so I was pretty hyped up because I had to do some funky stuff for that; HOWEVER, I now need to set up internal communication between one of the previous exchange servers and an internal FreeBSD machine. For the exchange machine I know that all the necessary records are ok because otherwise it wouldn't have even communicated with the other exchange server (and exchange is pretty particular about that). I typed nslookup on both machines and th...

SSRS 2008 and "ReportServer and Reports" IIS Virtual Directories
Hello All, I'm in the process of learning SSRS 2008. I installed SQLServer 2008 on my "Windows 7 Professional" laptop and decided to configure SSRS 2008 later as I had not setup IIS. I enabled IIS v7.5 and configured SSRS with "http://patriot/ReportServer" as the WebService URL and "http://patriot/Reports" as the Report Manager URL. I created a sample report and I'm able to run the report from the Browser. Going by the configuration, I expected two virtual directories to be created (ReportServer and Reports) in the IIS Server but when I c...

Changing SQL Servers
I am trying to change the instance of SQL Server that my dev environment points to, When I goto DM, select the server and click Configure Sql Server - I select the new SQL server, click next and get "SQL Server Agent is not running". I have verified that the SQL Agent is running on both the current and new sql servers but this does not help. Any help of where to look would be great ...

XL File On File Server
I have a unique problem. We have Windows 2003 domain. All workstations are Xp professional. One user when try to access an XL file. MIcrosoft XL hangs up. Everybody else can access this file any where on the network. BUt when this user try to access this file from any computer Microsoft XL just hangs up. All computers are using same version of XL 2000. I have re-installed office suite and installed again but it did not solve the problem. I also installled all office updates. The user is a domain user. Any Ideas why it is heapening. ...

SystemState backup after upgrading Windows Server 2008 to 2008 R2
Just thought I would post this to help anyone else that come across the same issue. I recently upgraded a DPM protected server running Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2008 R2. The upgrade went smooth apart from that the when I tried to backup the systemstate of the upgraded server it failed. After checking the event log on the protected server I could see that it was complaining about trying to backup to the system volume which was included in the systemstate backup. After a bit of searching I found this KB Article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944530 I had seen...

Server Error 403-Forbidden: Access Denied
Not sure if this is the right place or not. Went to microsoft update and got the following message Server Error 403-Forbidden: Access Denied You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied. OS is WinXP pro/SP3. Is Automatic Updates enabled? If not, can you enable it, reboot & find it still enabled? What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a(another) Norton or McAfee applicatio...

Server that can accept many simultaneous connections
I would like to try to implement a server in Visual C++ .NET which can handle many simultaneous connections. I know the concept of threads and sockets, but I don't know how to combine these to create a server that can accept many concurrent connect ions. Any code samples, tutorials, etc on this? Joachim wrote: > I would like to try to implement a server in Visual C++ .NET which can handle > many simultaneous connections. I know the concept of threads and sockets, but > I don't know how to combine these to create a server that can accept many > concurrent connect ions...

Forced Removal of Failed Exchange 5.5 Server
A failing Exchange 5.5 infrastructure prompted a rapid migration to Exchange 2000. A mixed mode environment was created and all security principals and data was moved to the new servers before the old server failed. Exchange 2000 is functioning and about to be integrated into an Exchange 2003 environment. However, there is still a grayed-out reference to the now failed/non-existent Exchange 5.5 computer. How can this be resolved? You can delete the server object from ADSI Edit. ADSI edit comes with windows 2000/2003 support tools. Open ADSIEdit and navigate down to the servers lev...

DPM RC 2010 Agent Install on Windows Server 2008 R2
We are having trouble installing the DPM agent on a terminal server running Windows Server 2008 R2. If we install the agent manually, it installs fine and then gives this error when we try to attach it: 0x80004005 We removed all group policies from the server and turned off the firewall, but we still get this error. When I uninstalled the agent and tried to re-install through the console, this is what was in the error log: 12BC 0E94 04/06 14:07:08.824 03 agentcfg.cpp(475) [000000000076C200] NORMAL Cound not find configuration for DPMRA 12BC 0E94 04/06 14:07:08.824 03 run...

3rd party server for connection okay?
We had a network guy come in and try to configure our network - 3 stores and HQ in seperate locations. Because of our router and dsl configuration, vpn would not work. He set up an outside ip address (dnsdyn.org) in order to have the stores and HQ talk. Still not working! ARGH!!!!!!! In the store it shows a connection but then states invalid store id. The store id is correct. In the HQ client the address is the ip address of the outside source and the port? Anyone know why this isn't working and have any suggestions???? Thank you! Are you sure the Store ID is correct? Does the messa...

SQL server problem
Customer just installed Sophos Anti Virus software on their SBS 2003 server that was running CRM, and now there is a problem with the SFO clients. The Sophos software installs a SQL svr instance. Is there any way of connecting the SFO clients to find the default crm sql svr instance on the server. When I try to run the server sql instance from the client sql svr manager, I get an "access denied" error - presumably because it is unable to cope with the second sql svr instance on the server. I recommended the Sophos to the customer - so don't want to have to now uninstall...

SMTP traffic when adding a second Exchange server
Hi, We are running an Exchange 2000 server and I have added a new Exchange 2003 on another server in the same organisation. Everything went fine. The idea was to replicate the public folder and move manually all the mailboxes little by little (there is 150Gb of data to migrate, so it is not easy to stop everything and do it in one go). So far, I have been able to move one mailbox sucessfully from the 'old' server to the new one. I can access the mailbox, and send email out, but cannot received any emails (internally or externally). In front our Exchanges boxes, we have a SMTP ...

Error message when deleting with attached SQL Server view
Hello, I have an Access application that links to SQL Server. One part of the application allows for building lists of contacts. As you're building the list it stores the person id (ContactID) in a front end table. When I try running this line of code DELETE TLB.* FROM TLB LEFT JOIN vwTLBProspectiveBuyerDevelopment ON TLB.ContactID = vwTLBProspectiveBuyerDevelopment.ContactID I get this error message "Could not delete from specified table". I'm sure it's because I link to the SQL Server view "vwTLBProspectiveBuyerDevelopment" to figure out which rows...

Import data from Access to SQL
Hello everyone. I have an instance of SQL Server 2008 Express on my PC, I have need to export tables from Access 2007 to SQL. I did successfully migrate (table access with unique ID field primary key) with SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access 2008, I rechecking the tables in SQL and it's all ok. Linking tables in Access. I have saved import (from text files) that work without problems with Access tables, when I go to do one of these imports, at some point the message "Unable to register changes. The entered value violates the settings for the table or the list...

integrate web page form with sql and crm
Is it possible to edit the "case" form using front Page. If so how do i set it up to access the sql database. These forms are not designed to be edited in frontpage. "Dana" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:e28701c3f0e5$21e37e40$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to edit the "case" form using front Page. > If so how do i set it up to access the sql database. ...

VSS troubles on SBS 2008 with backup built-in tool
Hi all, I have an issue on Windows SBS 2008 Premium edition. The backup is not working with the windows built-in tool. I receive error messages on eventviewer when the backup starts like that one: "A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Unknown error (0x800423f4)" I've already checked on other forums for this error message but unfortunately no solution really fixed it. I found a procedure that fix the problem temporary until the server restarts. Here it is: net stop "System Event Notification Service" net stop "COM+ Event System&qu...

SQL 2005 on SBS with CRM
Question: We will be running CRM 3 along with the Integration link to Great Plains on a Small Business Server 2003 box. Is it a supported setup to run all this on top of SQL 2005 Standard (purchased separately) instead of the SQL 2005 workgroup edition which comes with SBS R2. -- Brandon Presentations Direct - "Document Finishing Solutions" http://www.presentationsdirect.com I am not sure what you will do. I just want to remind: If you install SQL server 2005 and MSCRM in the same server, you would get problem. SQL server 2005 is based on .Net Framework 2+, and CRM 3.0 i...

Contents of Report Server Database
Could somebody please tell me what are the contents of that database ? SQL-2005 Report Server Database for Reporting Services. Cordially, Reporting services stores pretty much everything in the database. For instance, search the hard drive on the server. You won't find a single report. That is because the reports themselves are stored in the database when you deploy a report. Security roles, subscriptions, and more are all stored in the database. -- Bruce Loehle-Conger MVP SQL Server Reporting Services "gatox" <gatox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

move Exchange 2003 server to new hardware
OK, so I have upgraded to the paid version of Exchange Server 2003 standard running on Win2003 server on an old Dell workstation. I've run the best practices analyzer tool and everything is copacetic. What I would like to do now is to move this setup over to new, more robust hardware. I want to make sure that all of the settings in Exchange are migrated over, not just the mailbox stores. When my colleague first set up this test box with trial software, the box was an open relay and I had to get my server off of 3 or 4 blacklists. I don't want to repeat that scenario when mo...

Posting a Journal Entry directly Into SQL?
Currently, we using Integration Assistant 8.0 for Excel to import about 6 Simple Journal Entries per day. This was fairly easy for the first few weeks, but now it's just getting boring. Our process goes something like this: Run a custom SQL Query (that operates on both Great Plains and other data sources) that produces a result set that is cut and pasted as a formatted Journal Entry into Excel. Then, from Excel, we just run our already-built integration package which imports the batch into Great Plains. We've already figured out how to get some basic transaction data out of Gr...

IIS vs Exchange as relay server
Hi guys, Our company's IIS got errors in sending mails to yahoo.com (only this server)(happens from time to time and solved everytime after restart the machine). We opened a case in Mircosoft's support but still no solution yet. the error mails was relayed from from Notes server to mail relay (IIS) but nothing happens (the logs seems like that) 2005-03-21 01:30:36 192.168.2.15 xxxx.xxxx.com SMTPSVC1 ABNTMR1 192.168.1.14 0 EHLO - +xxxx.xxxx.com 250 0 247 20 0 SMTP - - - - 2005-03-21 01:30:36 192.168.2.15 xxxx.xxxx.com SMTPSVC1 ABNTMR1 192.168.1.14 0 MAIL - +FROM:<sunny@xxxx.com&g...

Upgrade from MSDE to SQL Server 2005 Express?
Are we going to be able to upgrade our MSDE installations to SQL Server Express? If so, some step-by-step instructions will be highly beneficial, since I don't think it's going to be as simple as installing using the default instance. Bud Izen Scrapbook Fever Salem OR I have done it using the default instance...somewhere it tells you instances it can upgrade, and I've done so without drama. I did some testing beforehand, and found that the uninstall for Express worked quite well - it put me back to the old version of SQL. I can't remember exactly where the option wa...

Forgot Exchange server organization.
Hi, I forgot the exchange server organization name I had provided during Installation of Exchange Server 2000. Where can I find the organization name? I am first time using the exchange server. So please help me. Thank you. --Prem Not 100% sure, but you could see what AD has by using ADSIedit (on the Windows server CD in the Support tools area) and going to the configuration partition (right click Connect to Naming Context configuration container) drill down under Services, Microsoft Exchange and you should see the Org name. Certainly after a complete install it is there, and I assume that ...