SQL Server 2008

Hi:

I realize that these newsgroups are mostly for technical discussions.  So,
if it's more appropriate to point me to another site for answers to the
questions that I'm about to ask, then please do so.

I just learned that there is going to be a SQL Server 2008.  I am a
certified DBA (MCITP) for SQL Server 2005.  Will there be an exam upgrade
path from 2005 to 2008?  Does anyone out there have any certification
information for 2008, even though 2008 is not out yet?  Will the SQL Server
2005 MCITP certification expire anytime soon?

More importantly, will there be compatibility issues with GP?

Thanks!

childofthe1980s

Hmmm....lets see...compatibility issues of non-existant software with new
untested software (SQL2008 vs GP V10).  Anyone want to offer a guarantee?

Child, Im sure MS will work to minimize problems like this, the MBS team or
what ever they call themselves now have a vested intersted in selling MS
products like 2008.  But there are never guarantees in SW.

As for certs, Im fairly certian MS will have a new test for 2008.  and a new
certification.  And as for expirations, as far as I know, Im still certified
for the OSI-65U operating system, but who has used it in the last 30 years?
If you value certifications, you will want to take the new test when
available.  Im sure someone will have a study guide (not us, its not our
line!)

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"childofthe1980s" wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I realize that these newsgroups are mostly for technical discussions.  So,
> if it's more appropriate to point me to another site for answers to the
> questions that I'm about to ask, then please do so.
>
> I just learned that there is going to be a SQL Server 2008.  I am a
> certified DBA (MCITP) for SQL Server 2005.  Will there be an exam upgrade
> path from 2005 to 2008?  Does anyone out there have any certification
> information for 2008, even though 2008 is not out yet?  Will the SQL Server
> 2005 MCITP certification expire anytime soon?
>
> More importantly, will there be compatibility issues with GP?
>
> Thanks!
>
> childofthe1980s
0
info4071 (3004)
6/24/2007 2:49:00 PM
Okay, okay!!!

I was just asking some questions.  There was no need to belittle me or to
offer sarcasm, especially to someone who could be (or was!) a potential
purchaser of your books.

MG!  Your sarcasm really was not appreciated!

childofthe1980s

"Richard L. Whaley" wrote:

> Hmmm....lets see...compatibility issues of non-existant software with new
> untested software (SQL2008 vs GP V10).  Anyone want to offer a guarantee?
>
> Child, Im sure MS will work to minimize problems like this, the MBS team or
> what ever they call themselves now have a vested intersted in selling MS
> products like 2008.  But there are never guarantees in SW.
>
> As for certs, Im fairly certian MS will have a new test for 2008.  and a new
> certification.  And as for expirations, as far as I know, Im still certified
> for the OSI-65U operating system, but who has used it in the last 30 years?
> If you value certifications, you will want to take the new test when
> available.  Im sure someone will have a study guide (not us, its not our
> line!)
>
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "childofthe1980s" wrote:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > I realize that these newsgroups are mostly for technical discussions.  So,
> > if it's more appropriate to point me to another site for answers to the
> > questions that I'm about to ask, then please do so.
> >
> > I just learned that there is going to be a SQL Server 2008.  I am a
> > certified DBA (MCITP) for SQL Server 2005.  Will there be an exam upgrade
> > path from 2005 to 2008?  Does anyone out there have any certification
> > information for 2008, even though 2008 is not out yet?  Will the SQL Server
> > 2005 MCITP certification expire anytime soon?
> >
> > More importantly, will there be compatibility issues with GP?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > childofthe1980s
sorry Cot80s....Ive been in a strange mood the past few days....busy writing
another one.....never knew writing could be sooooo tiring....it was meant
tongue in cheek.....guess I should leave the comedy to the pros.

--

"childofthe1980s" wrote:

> Okay, okay!!!
>
> I was just asking some questions.  There was no need to belittle me or to
> offer sarcasm, especially to someone who could be (or was!) a potential
> purchaser of your books.
>
> MG!  Your sarcasm really was not appreciated!
>
> childofthe1980s
>
> "Richard L. Whaley" wrote:
>
> > Hmmm....lets see...compatibility issues of non-existant software with new
> > untested software (SQL2008 vs GP V10).  Anyone want to offer a guarantee?
> >
> > Child, Im sure MS will work to minimize problems like this, the MBS team or
> > what ever they call themselves now have a vested intersted in selling MS
> > products like 2008.  But there are never guarantees in SW.
> >
> > As for certs, Im fairly certian MS will have a new test for 2008.  and a new
> > certification.  And as for expirations, as far as I know, Im still certified
> > for the OSI-65U operating system, but who has used it in the last 30 years?
> > If you value certifications, you will want to take the new test when
> > available.  Im sure someone will have a study guide (not us, its not our
> > line!)
> >
> > --
> > Richard L. Whaley
> > Author / Consultant / MVP
> > Documentation for Software Users
> >
> > Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
> > http://www.AccoladePublications.com
> >

> > "childofthe1980s" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > I realize that these newsgroups are mostly for technical discussions.  So,
> > > if it's more appropriate to point me to another site for answers to the
> > > questions that I'm about to ask, then please do so.
> > >
> > > I just learned that there is going to be a SQL Server 2008.  I am a
> > > certified DBA (MCITP) for SQL Server 2005.  Will there be an exam upgrade
> > > path from 2005 to 2008?  Does anyone out there have any certification
> > > information for 2008, even though 2008 is not out yet?  Will the SQL Server
> > > 2005 MCITP certification expire anytime soon?
> > >
> > > More importantly, will there be compatibility issues with GP?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > childofthe1980s
0
info4071 (3004)
6/24/2007 9:59:00 PM
Child,

As an experienced Microsoft product user, you know yourself there are no
answers this early in the game. Additionally, you know there are other
newsgroups that specialize in SQL Server that would probably be a better
place to ask questions regarding new versions.

Once MBS announces support for 2008, they'll tell you which versions of GP
are supported. My money's on v10 only.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"Richard L. Whaley" wrote:

> sorry Cot80s....Ive been in a strange mood the past few days....busy writing
> another one.....never knew writing could be sooooo tiring....it was meant
> tongue in cheek.....guess I should leave the comedy to the pros.
>
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "childofthe1980s" wrote:
>
> > Okay, okay!!!
> >
> > I was just asking some questions.  There was no need to belittle me or to
> > offer sarcasm, especially to someone who could be (or was!) a potential
> > purchaser of your books.
> >
> > MG!  Your sarcasm really was not appreciated!
> >
> > childofthe1980s
> >
> > "Richard L. Whaley" wrote:
> >
> > > Hmmm....lets see...compatibility issues of non-existant software with new
> > > untested software (SQL2008 vs GP V10).  Anyone want to offer a guarantee?
> > >
> > > Child, Im sure MS will work to minimize problems like this, the MBS team or
> > > what ever they call themselves now have a vested intersted in selling MS
> > > products like 2008.  But there are never guarantees in SW.
> > >
> > > As for certs, Im fairly certian MS will have a new test for 2008.  and a new
> > > certification.  And as for expirations, as far as I know, Im still certified
> > > for the OSI-65U operating system, but who has used it in the last 30 years?
> > > If you value certifications, you will want to take the new test when
> > > available.  Im sure someone will have a study guide (not us, its not our
> > > line!)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Richard L. Whaley
> > > Author / Consultant / MVP
> > > Documentation for Software Users
> > >
> > > Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
> > > http://www.AccoladePublications.com

0
callen (2505)
6/24/2007 10:49:01 PM
I agree with everything Charles said except I would have to think that GP 9
will be (eventually) supported on SQL 2008 since GP 9 is supported through
Jan 2011.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message
> Child,
>
> As an experienced Microsoft product user, you know yourself there are no
> answers this early in the game. Additionally, you know there are other
> newsgroups that specialize in SQL Server that would probably be a better
> place to ask questions regarding new versions.
>
> Once MBS announces support for 2008, they'll tell you which versions of GP
> are supported. My money's on v10 only.
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP
>

> "Richard L. Whaley" wrote:
>
>> sorry Cot80s....Ive been in a strange mood the past few days....busy
>> writing
>> another one.....never knew writing could be sooooo tiring....it was meant
>> tongue in cheek.....guess I should leave the comedy to the pros.
>>
>> --
>> Richard L. Whaley
>> Author / Consultant / MVP
>> Documentation for Software Users
>>
>> Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
>> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>>

>> "childofthe1980s" wrote:
>>
>> > Okay, okay!!!
>> >
>> > I was just asking some questions.  There was no need to belittle me or
>> > offer sarcasm, especially to someone who could be (or was!) a potential
>> > purchaser of your books.
>> >
>> > MG!  Your sarcasm really was not appreciated!
>> >
>> > childofthe1980s

0
victoria (3340)
6/25/2007 12:50:17 PM
apology accepted

"Richard L. Whaley" wrote:

> sorry Cot80s....Ive been in a strange mood the past few days....busy writing
> another one.....never knew writing could be sooooo tiring....it was meant
> tongue in cheek.....guess I should leave the comedy to the pros.
>
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "childofthe1980s" wrote:
>
> > Okay, okay!!!
> >
> > I was just asking some questions.  There was no need to belittle me or to
> > offer sarcasm, especially to someone who could be (or was!) a potential
> > purchaser of your books.
> >
> > MG!  Your sarcasm really was not appreciated!
> >
> > childofthe1980s
> >
> > "Richard L. Whaley" wrote:
> >
> > > Hmmm....lets see...compatibility issues of non-existant software with new
> > > untested software (SQL2008 vs GP V10).  Anyone want to offer a guarantee?
> > >
> > > Child, Im sure MS will work to minimize problems like this, the MBS team or
> > > what ever they call themselves now have a vested intersted in selling MS
> > > products like 2008.  But there are never guarantees in SW.
> > >
> > > As for certs, Im fairly certian MS will have a new test for 2008.  and a new
> > > certification.  And as for expirations, as far as I know, Im still certified
> > > for the OSI-65U operating system, but who has used it in the last 30 years?
> > > If you value certifications, you will want to take the new test when
> > > available.  Im sure someone will have a study guide (not us, its not our
> > > line!)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Richard L. Whaley
> > > Author / Consultant / MVP
> > > Documentation for Software Users
> > >
> > > Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
> > > http://www.AccoladePublications.com

Calling Dex Procedures from SQL

Cannot install the 3rd Exchange 2003 Server
Hi All, Please help me. I cannot install the 3rd exchange Server 2003 on windows server 2003 Std with SP1 and without SP1. My AD is Server 2003 with SP1. The other 2 Exchange Server is 2003 std with SP2. During installing a new Exchange computer into the organization, I receive the following error message: Setup failed while installing sub-component Site Replication Service with error code 0xC007054B (please consult the installation logs for a detailed description). You may cancel the installation or try the failed step again. And the log is have the following error: [19:50:13] DS or RPC is b...

Computerworld article on Mac Office 2008
Computerworld has a story giving a preview of Mac Office 2008. They have quotes from some key people at Microsoft who were involved in Mac Office 2008's development. The story can be read at this link: http://tinyurl.com/3be8p6 ...

SQL 'for xml' and C# example??

sql summarizing help

Update multivalue field in table from form with SQL
Access 2007 on Vista I am using a form to establish the variables for a report before it is created. One field on the underlying table is a multivalue field, and the form includes a multi-select combo box control. After selections are made and the OK button on the multi-select combo drop down is clicked, focus moves to the next control. I have discovered though, that the underlying table does not update immediately, but does so correctly when I close the form. This sequence does not deliver the proper report data, so I need a way to immediately update the underlying table (m...

Project Server Cube Build Issue
I think I screwed up the install order on the SQL DMO components. According to MSDN: " At this time, do not use the feature packs for SQL Server 2008 to install and download these components, as those files will not allow you to build cubes in SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services with Project Server 2007." However, I didn't read that carefully enough and installed the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Objects Collection instead of the 2005 version. Now I can't install the 2005 version even if I uninstall the 2008 version. The setup fails with the "highe...

Refer to SQL statements globally
I have two large SQL statements that I need to use across several forms, reports, etc. Rather than repeat them in each form, I'm trying to store and reference them globally. For example, I'd like to store strSQL1 and strSQL2 in a global module, so I can use either like this in a form: Random form: Me!lstResults.RowSource = strSQL1 Random report: Me.Report.RecordSource = strSQL2 Would I just store the SQL statements in a global module like: Public Function SQLSource() As String Dim strSQL1 As String Dim strSQL2 As String strSQL1 = "SELECT blah blah...

WSUS 3.0 on SBS 2008 Best Practise
Is there any way to get the WSUS 3.0 databse on SBS 2008 to just contain updates that are required? When I install WSUS 3.0 on SBS 2008 I find myself having to decline thousands of un approved updates just to get WSUS 3.0 to a point where it only show updates that require approval for the machines on the SBS 2008 domain. I`d like if WSUs 3.0 only displayed updates that require approval. any suggestions gladly welcome. thanks, This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_004F_01CAE77F.3B3AE9E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"...

To SQL or not to SQL?
I have a very vertical product developed 100% in M/S Access. I developed it myself in 1993 in the initial release of Access and been with it ever since. It is currently very stable and running in Access 2003. My big question is how or even *if* we should move it to SQL. My customers are getting bigger all the time with more users. Typically our customers run one or two workstations generally never more than 5. Performance, however, is starting to slow with database sizes passing 500 meg. We also have a LOT of code behind forms so are bound tightly to the Access development environ...

writeback to SQL 2005
hello! I use excel 2007 iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table. In my workbook i can now see this data from this table. if i change a value in some cell i wish to writeback to table in SQL server. Is this possible? It's possible through the use of VBA and ADO, but not simply using the data connection you've already established. Ross "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D54EC521-0DD5-4B3D-971B-4FF3394D6FA8@microsoft.com... > hello! I use excel 2007 > iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table...

Server
Working in a large office we have recently replaced our exchange server. The new server has a different name fom the old one. For the vast majority of users this has not caused a problem. One user about once a week cannot open hois Outlook and the server name reverts back to the old server name. Please help ! ...

Project Server 2007 Hotfix dated 2/23/10
Need help in trying to determine what is actually being fixed in the newest hotfix they are the following first and second items in the kb article. Also, could someone let me know what the note applies to as well (that is the first item or the second item or both). Thanks!!!! 1. You accept updates for assignments in Microsoft Office Project 2007. In this case, the values for actual work and for actual overtime work differ from the values submitted by the resources. When you save and then publish the project, the resource timesheet on the My Tasks page shows the same incorrect...

Can someone tell me some newsgroup server about AI or datamining?
Hi, all I am sorry to post my question here, but i really need help from everyone here. I have googled for newsgroup talking about AI or dataming for a long time, however, it ends no result. Can someone show me any newsgroup servers just like msnews.microsoft.com, then I would post my question there and gather helps from those experts. Best wishes Hi, there are endless resources in the internet, you just have to look for the right words and places: http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/ http://dir.yahoo.com/Science/computer_science/artificial_intelligence/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artif...

Outlook access to mail servers blocked
For last two days I suddently been unable to down load any email via either my talk tal broadband or my vodaphone mobile connection the message i get is the same across 5 different POP3 servers Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' past post suggest the firewalls but had tried disabling them and its still the same - i know there is mail as i have it on my balckberry account - any ideas folks? I am r...

Running server reporting errors
Hi Anyone seen this before - taken from the application log on an SBS 2003 server. Server does recover from this but this seems to be happening regularly. A process serving application pool 'CRMAppPool' terminated unexpectedly Appreciate any help or pointers. Regards After moveing to v3 mine did this too... and recovered.. after rebooting itself! PeteC wrote: > Hi > > Anyone seen this before - taken from the application log on an SBS 2003 > server. Server does recover from this but this seems to be happening > regularly. > > A process serving application po...

PostgreSQL or other SQL servers in RMS
Has anyone successfully implemented RMS with one of the free SQL servers? Theoretically, is there any reason why we have to use MS SQL Server 2000 for large databases? David "dh" <dh@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:1783A90D-AF3E-4D91-A445-0039D4E7E379@microsoft.com... > Has anyone successfully implemented RMS with one of the free SQL servers? > Theoretically, is there any reason why we have to use MS SQL Server 2000 > for > large databases? RMS has implemented only for MS SQL Server (2000/MSDE) and isn't possible to work with ano...

Outlook without Exchange Server
I am new to outlook. I am trying to find out if Outlook 2003 can be used with pier-to-pier sertup in a small office with leass than 5 employees. The functionality desired would be to be able to forward and recieve messages, tasks, appointments, share and view calendar etc. I was wondering if outlook can be used within a workgroup in a LAN setup without having exchange server. Thanks, Athiff In news:1ad6001c423e0$2a80b120$a601280a@phx.gbl, Athiff <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: || I am new to outlook. I am trying to find out if Outlook || 2003 can be used with pier-...

Management Studio
I have both a named instance of SQL Server 2008 and Express 2008 installed. When I try to connect with Management Studio, neither of those instances appears in the list of local servers. But I can see them in the list of network servers. In Local, I can see Integration Services only. Under the Network Servers tab, I see my server with the two database engines listed. In both cases, I have protocols Shared Memory, Named Pipes, and TCP/IP enabled, and VIA disabled. Is that the way it should be? I checked HideInstance in the Configuration Manager and it is set to No for both ins...

Error in money 2008 when try open my file
I have a great possession, when I try to open my file in Money 2008, he gives a mistake and clamor. I have these file from the money 98, 99, 2002, 2004, 2007 and now 2008. Before yesterday it was working 100%. The mistake is soon in the opening of the file. Can it be when he collects the data for the screen My Money (home)? Thanks, Fernando Rodrigues My Moneys is Home and Business "Fernando Rodrigues - Fersoft" wrote: > I have a great possession, when I try to open my file in Money 2008, he gives > a mistake and clamor. > > I have these file fr...

sql.request #2
Does anyone have a comprehensible guide on how to use it that a dolt like me can follow? Every time I try I get a #N/A. The only guide I can find is at http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/zipfiles/UsingSqlRequest.zip but it's really hard to follow. From the MSDN Library: http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/office97/html/SEC41.asp Not sure how familiar you are with ODBC; but if you are getting #N/A as a result, it is usually because of problems either with the SQL syntax or the connection string. There are a few examples of connection strings in the re...

I did a reset account of a computer account in AD which is an exchange server
How can I get the exchange to talk back to the AD again ... Thanks Andy ...