SQL 2005 Data Encryption

We are upgrading our DB Server to SQL 2005 next year and want to take
advantage of Database Encryption for sensitive data in GP such and SSN and
Banking Accounts.

Has anyone attempted this?  Not sure where to start.
0
Amanda (82)

On Dec 9, 5:18=A0pm, Amanda <Ama...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> We are upgrading our DB Server to SQL 2005 next year and want to take
> advantage of Database Encryption for sensitive data in GP such and SSN an=
> Banking Accounts.
>
> Has anyone attempted this? =A0Not sure where to start.

This will not work with GP because you have to encrypt on the write to
the db and decrypt on selects.
0
katelinn53 (17)
12/10/2008 3:40:50 AM
Transparent Data Encryption is not a feature in SQL Server 2005, rather SQL
Server 2008. Please take a look at:

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/security.aspx

Best regards,
--
MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP

"katelinn53@gmail.com" wrote:

> On Dec 9, 5:18 pm, Amanda <Ama...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > We are upgrading our DB Server to SQL 2005 next year and want to take
> > advantage of Database Encryption for sensitive data in GP such and SSN and
> > Banking Accounts.
> >
> > Has anyone attempted this?  Not sure where to start.
>
> This will not work with GP because you have to encrypt on the write to
> the db and decrypt on selects.

0
MarianoGomez (3440)
12/10/2008 3:58:15 PM
GP 10.0 is not supported on SQL 2008 is what I was told by Microsoft.  I know
I've heard of people doing this with GP 10.0 and SQL 05; it was  more of a
manual process though I believe.

"Mariano Gomez" wrote:

> Transparent Data Encryption is not a feature in SQL Server 2005, rather SQL
> Server 2008. Please take a look at:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/security.aspx
>
> Best regards,
> --
> MG.-
> Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> Maximum Global Business, LLC
> http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
>

> "katelinn53@gmail.com" wrote:
>
> > On Dec 9, 5:18 pm, Amanda <Ama...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > We are upgrading our DB Server to SQL 2005 next year and want to take
> > > advantage of Database Encryption for sensitive data in GP such and SSN and
> > > Banking Accounts.
> > >
> > > Has anyone attempted this?  Not sure where to start.
> >
> > This will not work with GP because you have to encrypt on the write to
> > the db and decrypt on selects.

0
Amanda (82)
12/10/2008 4:47:01 PM
>GP 10.0 is not supported on SQL 2008 [sic] is what I was told by Microsoft
[sic]<.

Where do you even get this information from? Have you even taken a look at
the System Requirements page?

PartnerSource
https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/documentation/systemrequirements/system_requirements_gp10.htm?printpage=false

CustomerSource
https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/documentation/systemrequirements/system_requirements_gp10.htm?printpage=false

>I know I've heard [sic] of people doing this with GP 10.0 and SQL 05; it was  more of a manual process though I believe. [sic]<

I cannot begin to imagine how you would manually encrypt data on a database.

I can understand technology changes and it is hard to keep up with it, but I
suggest you try to get up to speed with the technology that sorrounds
Dynamics GP. On the other hand, if you are receiving bad advice from your
partner, or you are "being told" all these things by Microsoft employees,
then you are in all your rights to fire your partner, or complain with
Microsoft officials.

Best regards,
--

"Amanda" wrote:

> GP 10.0 is not supported on SQL 2008 is what I was told by Microsoft.  I know
> I've heard of people doing this with GP 10.0 and SQL 05; it was  more of a
> manual process though I believe.
>
> "Mariano Gomez" wrote:
>
> > Transparent Data Encryption is not a feature in SQL Server 2005, rather SQL
> > Server 2008. Please take a look at:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/security.aspx
> >
> > Best regards,
> > --
> > MG.-
> > Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> > Maximum Global Business, LLC
> > http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> > The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com

> > > This will not work with GP because you have to encrypt on the write to
> > > the db and decrypt on selects.

0
MarianoGomez (3440)
12/10/2008 5:34:06 PM
I miss spoke I meant 8.0 is not supported on 2008.  We are currnetly on 8.0
looking to do a DB upgrade and then a 10.0 uograde.  Am i understanding you
correctly when you say that with SQL 2008 we would have the ability to do
data encryption?

"Mariano Gomez" wrote:

> >GP 10.0 is not supported on SQL 2008 [sic] is what I was told by Microsoft
> [sic]<.
>
> Where do you even get this information from? Have you even taken a look at
> the System Requirements page?
>
> PartnerSource
> https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/documentation/systemrequirements/system_requirements_gp10.htm?printpage=false
>
> CustomerSource
> https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/documentation/systemrequirements/system_requirements_gp10.htm?printpage=false
>
> >I know I've heard [sic] of people doing this with GP 10.0 and SQL 05; it was  more of a manual process though I believe. [sic]<
>
> I cannot begin to imagine how you would manually encrypt data on a database.
>
> I can understand technology changes and it is hard to keep up with it, but I
> suggest you try to get up to speed with the technology that sorrounds
> Dynamics GP. On the other hand, if you are receiving bad advice from your
> partner, or you are "being told" all these things by Microsoft employees,
> then you are in all your rights to fire your partner, or complain with
> Microsoft officials.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> MG.-
> Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> Maximum Global Business, LLC
> http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
>

> "Amanda" wrote:
>
> > GP 10.0 is not supported on SQL 2008 is what I was told by Microsoft.  I know
> > I've heard of people doing this with GP 10.0 and SQL 05; it was  more of a
> > manual process though I believe.
> >
> > "Mariano Gomez" wrote:
> >
> > > Transparent Data Encryption is not a feature in SQL Server 2005, rather SQL
> > > Server 2008. Please take a look at:
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/security.aspx
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > --
> > > MG.-
> > > Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> > > Maximum Global Business, LLC
> > > http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> > > The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com

0
Amanda (82)
12/10/2008 5:44:03 PM
Amanda,

Now your question makes perfect sense and here is what you can do to upgrade
to SQL Server 2008:

1) Make sure you are on Microsoft Business Solutions Great Plains 8.0 with
Service Pack 5 prior to begin any upgrade process.

If you are unsure what service pack level you are at go to Help > About ...
in GP then read my blog article for the upgrade paths at
http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2008/10/dynamics-gp-upgrade-path.html.

2) Download Microsoft Dynamics GP 10 Feature Pack 1 DVD image from
CustomerSource
https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/downloads/servicepacks/mdgp10_featurepackreleasedownload_eng.htm?printpage=false

PartnerSource
https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/downloads/releases/mdgp10_featurepackreleasedownload_eng.htm?printpage=false

Feature Pack 1 contains a number of important fixes that will make your
installation smoother and is also comprehensive of Service Pack 2. You may
also want to take advantage of some new features provided under this pack for
free.

3) After you complete the Dynamics GP application upgrade, you can then
proceed to upgrade the database server application. You can take advantage of
SQL Server 2008 upgrade Advisor to help you with the process. It's a wizard
application that run some tests on your current server and performs
recommendations prior to attempting the server application upgrade. I suggest
you pay close attention to these recommendations.

NOTE: These steps are the 50 thousand-foot version of what must be done. You
need to carefully plan for a test upgrade, performing all backups at all
stages, inventory all third party modules, contact your third party solution
providers for product updates or visit their sites, inventory all reports
that will not upgrade, plan to rebuild these reports if still necessary,
etc., etc., etc.

Now, to the second part of your question.

When Microsoft says that GP8 will not run on SQL Server 2008, what they mean
is 1) they will not provide any support if you choose to do so, and 2) that
they have not made changes to the database objects to take full advantage of
SQL Server 2008 features. All in all, this does not mean GP will not work. If
you upgrade to SQL Server 2008 and maintain a database compatibility level of
8.0 if on SQL 2000, or 9.0 if on SQL 2005, the Dynamics GP should continue to
work just fine.

You need to outweigh the risk of not being able to get support versus your
customer's desire to upgrade their database engine. If you are only upgrading
the database engine, it will make no sense at all since in the end you are
not taking any advantages of 2008 capabilities.

Now, if you already planning to perform an upgrade to GP 10 and also have
encryption capabilities on your data then it all makes perfect sense to
upgrade to SQL Server 2008. And yes! SQL Server 2008 will allow you to have
application-agnostic Transparent Data Encryption.

Best regards,
--

"Amanda" wrote:

> I miss spoke I meant 8.0 is not supported on 2008.  We are currnetly on 8.0
> looking to do a DB upgrade and then a 10.0 uograde.  Am i understanding you
> correctly when you say that with SQL 2008 we would have the ability to do
> data encryption?
>
> "Mariano Gomez" wrote:
>
> > >GP 10.0 is not supported on SQL 2008 [sic] is what I was told by Microsoft
> > [sic]<.
> >
> > Where do you even get this information from? Have you even taken a look at
> > the System Requirements page?
> >
> > PartnerSource
> > https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/documentation/systemrequirements/system_requirements_gp10.htm?printpage=false
> >
> > CustomerSource
> > https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/documentation/systemrequirements/system_requirements_gp10.htm?printpage=false
> >
> > >I know I've heard [sic] of people doing this with GP 10.0 and SQL 05; it was  more of a manual process though I believe. [sic]<
> >
> > I cannot begin to imagine how you would manually encrypt data on a database.
> >
> > I can understand technology changes and it is hard to keep up with it, but I
> > suggest you try to get up to speed with the technology that sorrounds
> > Dynamics GP. On the other hand, if you are receiving bad advice from your
> > partner, or you are "being told" all these things by Microsoft employees,
> > then you are in all your rights to fire your partner, or complain with
> > Microsoft officials.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > --
> > MG.-
> > Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> > Maximum Global Business, LLC
> > http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> > The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com
> >

> > "Amanda" wrote:
> >
> > > GP 10.0 is not supported on SQL 2008 is what I was told by Microsoft.  I know
> > > I've heard of people doing this with GP 10.0 and SQL 05; it was  more of a
> > > manual process though I believe.

0
MarianoGomez (3440)
12/10/2008 6:15:01 PM
On Dec 10, 12:15=A0pm, Mariano Gomez
<MarianoGo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]
ve
> application-agnostic Transparent Data Encryption.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> MG.-
> Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> Maximum Global Business, LLChttp://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> The Dynamics GP Blogster athttp://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com
>
> "Amanda" wrote:
> > I miss spoke I meant 8.0 is not supported on 2008. =A0We are currnetly =
on 8.0
> > looking to do a DB upgrade and then a 10.0 uograde. =A0Am i understandi=
ng you
> > correctly when you say that with SQL 2008 we would have the ability to =
do
> > data encryption?

> > > [sic]<. =A0
>
> > > Where do you even get this information from? Have you even taken a lo=

; it was =A0more of a manual process though I believe. [sic]<

> > > I cannot begin to imagine how you would manually encrypt data on a da=
tabase.

> > > I can understand technology changes and it is hard to keep up with it=
, but I
> > > suggest you try to get up to speed with the technology that sorrounds
> > > Dynamics GP. On the other hand, if you are receiving bad advice from =
your
> > > partner, or you are "being told" all these things by Microsoft employ=
ees,
> > > then you are in all your rights to fire your partner, or complain wit=
> > > Microsoft officials.
>
> > > Best regards,
> > > --
> > > MG.-
> > > Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> > > Maximum Global Business, LLC
> > >http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> > > The Dynamics GP Blogster athttp://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com

Amanda,

Even on SQL 2008 using the SQL encryption is not advisable with GP.
There are ways to manually mask CC#s and SSN #s but in order to
encrypt the data you would need to use triggers on the database writes
to encrypt the data.  When its being selected by GP there is really no
good way to decrypt the data unless you are going to alter the
standard delivered stored procedures.   This is definitely not
recommended.

Are you trying to encrypt the data or mask end users from seeing it in
GP and in the SQL tables?
0
katelinn53 (17)
12/11/2008 4:36:14 AM
We need to encrypt on the DB not mask that data from the UI.

"katelinn53@gmail.com" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > "Amanda" wrote:
> > > I miss spoke I meant 8.0 is not supported on 2008.  We are currnetly on 8.0
> > > looking to do a DB upgrade and then a 10.0 uograde.  Am i understanding you
> > > correctly when you say that with SQL 2008 we would have the ability to do
> > > data encryption?

> Amanda,
>
> Even on SQL 2008 using the SQL encryption is not advisable with GP.
> There are ways to manually mask CC#s and SSN #s but in order to
> encrypt the data you would need to use triggers on the database writes
> to encrypt the data.  When its being selected by GP there is really no
> good way to decrypt the data unless you are going to alter the
> standard delivered stored procedures.   This is definitely not
> recommended.
>
> Are you trying to encrypt the data or mask end users from seeing it in

0
Amanda (82)
12/11/2008 5:46:01 PM

"Amanda" wrote:

> [...]
> > > application-agnostic Transparent Data Encryption.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > --
> > > MG.-
> > > Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> > > Maximum Global Business, LLChttp://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> > > The Dynamics GP Blogster athttp://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com

> > Amanda,
> >
> > Even on SQL 2008 using the SQL encryption is not advisable with GP.
> > There are ways to manually mask CC#s and SSN #s but in order to
> > encrypt the data you would need to use triggers on the database writes
> > to encrypt the data.  When its being selected by GP there is really no
> > good way to decrypt the data unless you are going to alter the
> > standard delivered stored procedures.   This is definitely not
> > recommended.
> >
> > Are you trying to encrypt the data or mask end users from seeing it in

0
MarianoGomez (3440)
12/12/2008 2:28:10 PM
On Dec 12, 8:28=A0am, Mariano Gomez
<MarianoGo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/security.aspx
>
> --
> Best regards,
> --
> MG.-
> Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> Maximum Global Business, LLChttp://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> The Dynamics GP Blogster athttp://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com
>
> "Amanda" wrote:
> > We need to encrypt on the DB not mask that data from the UI. =A0
>
> > "katelin...@gmail.com" wrote:

micsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2008/10/dynamics-gp-upgrade-pa....

You may

 I suggest

SQL 05; it was =A0more of a manual process though I believe. [sic]<

GP such and SSN and

> > > Amanda,
>
> > > Even on SQL 2008 using the SQL encryption is not advisable with GP.
> > > There are ways to manually mask CC#s and SSN #s but in order to
> > > encrypt the data you would need to use triggers on the database write=
> > > to encrypt the data. =A0When its being selected by GP there is really=
 no
> > > good way to decrypt the data unless you are going to alter the
> > > standard delivered stored procedures. =A0 This is definitely not
> > > recommended.
>
> > > Are you trying to encrypt the data or mask end users from seeing it i=
> > > GP and in the SQL tables?

Mariano,

Have you ever encrypted or tried to encrypt GP data with the SQL
encryption?  If so, please indicate a successful methodology.   If
not, please do not link to sites that explain encrypting data in MS
SQL Server.  Just because it is possible in SQL Server does not mean
it is possible or recommend with GP.
0
katelinn53 (17)
12/12/2008 4:38:17 PM
Kate,

Please do not shoot the messenger. In fact, we are in the process of testing
(we've been doing it for a month now) this at my current client, since they
are a global security company, and so far, we have not found or hit any
issues.

I am not sure why you take offense to the link, but SQL Server 2008 offers
this capability as part of the product. The ability to transparently encrypt
data at the database level is application agnostic. This means that
developers need not to introduce any special code in their already coded
applications to encrypt or decrypt data. Since the encryption and decryption
is shielded from the application accessing the database, TDE is relatively
simple to implement.

At my client, we have based our implementation on the following steps:

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1514

I will be writing a case-study and an MSDynamicsWorld.com article pretty
soon on the subject.

One final note: I rarely comment on something I do not know, haven't tested,
or having implemented.

Best regards,
--

"katelinn53@gmail.com" wrote:

> On Dec 12, 8:28 am, Mariano Gomez
> <MarianoGo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/security.aspx
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > --
> > MG.-
> > Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> > Maximum Global Business, LLChttp://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> > The Dynamics GP Blogster athttp://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com
> >
> > "Amanda" wrote:
> > > We need to encrypt on the DB not mask that data from the UI.

> Mariano,
>
> Have you ever encrypted or tried to encrypt GP data with the SQL
> encryption?  If so, please indicate a successful methodology.   If
> not, please do not link to sites that explain encrypting data in MS
> SQL Server.  Just because it is possible in SQL Server does not mean
> it is possible or recommend with GP.

0
MarianoGomez (3440)

Calling Dex Procedures from SQL

encryption 02-24-10
Hi, I remember there're some products for encrypting the VBA codes (Excel macros). Have anyone ever used that? Bst Rgds, HuaMin ...

How do you sort the data by the month of the data?
Hi, The file has date formate as MM/DD/YYYY and I want to keep it that way. Is there anyway the file can be sorted by only MM? I am trying to sort by Jan, Feb, March...... November, December together. Thanks, Saz You should create a new column, let's say G, with the formula G2: =MONTH(A2), where A is the column containing the date. Then you can sort according to this column. But if you have dates for more than one year, all the entries for January 2006 and January 2007 will be sorted together. Use instead G2=YEAR(A2)*100+MONTH(A2) to avoid this situation. Stephane. -- Message posted ...

Moving Data From One Form To Another
Hi all, I have a form that shows student information (primary key = student ID). I have buttons on this form to bring up other forms that can be used to register student for certain events. The first form is data from a student table, while the ones for registering the student are connected to a table s called Students Registered for an event (primary key = Student ID + Event ID). The problem is, then when you open the registration form, you have to manually put in the Student ID as input. I would like to pull whatever Student ID was currently showing in the Student form to be automatically p...

I have a hyper-v machine protected to a 250GB disk volume with co-location enabled, 74GB is in use. I then created a new protection group to backup a second hyper-v machine and ticked the co-location option. It seems DPM is going to create a new co-locate volume on the disk. Can't DPM use the same volumes accross protection groups? Chris Co-location is limited to the same datasource under the same Protection Group. You cannot co-locate datasources across of Protection Groups. You cannot co-locate datasources of different types in the same volume either. Thanks, --A...

money 2005
Just a recommendation to all potential money 2005 purchasers...don't do it! Look around the message boards and you'll see countless examples of the program ruining peoples data; unfortunately, I'm one of those people to. Ever since i installed the program it has been updating my information on MSN Money as well. Everything was fine until I wanted to stop doing this and use Money 2005 independently of the web service. When I tried to erase the data from MSN server I couldn't. Then, when Money 2005 opens up my file it connects to the server and all hell breaks lose. My...

Free & Busy Data messed up.. Plz Help!!
We have exchange v5.5. Recently one of the exchange admins was in the public folders messing around with permissions. He said he didn't change anything but something had to have changed because now all free and busy data, public address book, tasks, notes, etc are not accessible to new users. Any time we create a new email account they can't view there calendar (says it doesn't exist), nothing shows up in the global address list. Anytime they receive an email to accept a meeting it says unable to open item. I've done the usual things like reset the server. I loo...

Comparing two sets of data, and outputting the matches to another location
Hello. I have a problem I've been working on for a few days now, and I can't seem to come up with a solution. I have two columns of data. The first is a list of company employees sorted by last name (about 10,000 names), followed by the department they work in. The second is a sample list of the employees (about 200 names), also sorted by last name, and the computer systems access level they have. What I want to do is compare the second list to the first list, and where the names appear on both lists, output the data from both columns (for that name) to a third location. The goal...

Capturing data
I am working on a registration form for a meeting. I currently have a sheet set up as a registration form with cells for various fees to be paid by the registrant. My current plan is to use a seperate sheet for each registrant (approx 100 - 150) all within the same workbook. The question is: What would be the best way to summarize the various amounts paid and the numbers of people registered for each event all onto one sheet? I looked at using a Pivot Table, but apparently my data on the registration form is not arranged correctly. I have been looking at using a summary sheet with...

SQL 'for xml' and C# example??

Import data to pivottable
Hi Is it possible to create a pivot with reference to several data from diffent sheets in the same excel file. I am trying to manage data on money transactions. These transactions are different in their nature (grouped into the different types) and I would prefer if they were in seperate sheets. Next problem... In these sheets I want to manage transaction from an account to an other account, therefore I got 2 colloms with the name "account name". This curses some problems because I want the "Row" of the pivottable to be "Account name". I want the pivottab...

sql summarizing help

Data Conversion Expression returns #Error
Objective: Convert txt data representing a time stamp on a particular activity into DateTime format. 1. If the data field contains any data convert it to the DateTime format 2. If data field is Null or a zero length string would like to return a null. 3. The data usually come in 0000 format but it could be 000 or 00 or 0 or “ “. CutT_temp: CDate(IIf(IsError(FormatDateTime(IIf(Len([Cut_Time])<1,"",Left([Cut_Time],2)+":"+Right([Cut_Time],2)),0)),"",FormatDateTime(IIf(Len([Cut_Time])<1,"",Left([Cut_Time],2)+":"+Right([Cut_Time],2)...

Publisher 2003 should be fixed to accept previous versions data.
Pages with pictures on them that worked just fine in Office 2000 versions are distorted when opened in Publisher 2003...is there a fix yet as I am aware this has been reported before? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...

kb971117 report viewer redistributable 2005
I am having a problem getting this update installed. Have a 2003 Server Enterprise edition sp2. This guy became available a couple of weeks ago I believe. When it installs it prompts me for a location by saying this: Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2005 The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK or enter an alternative path to the folder containing the installation package ReportViewer.msi. So I do a search for this file and it is located in C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft Report Viewer Red...

Update multivalue field in table from form with SQL
Access 2007 on Vista I am using a form to establish the variables for a report before it is created. One field on the underlying table is a multivalue field, and the form includes a multi-select combo box control. After selections are made and the OK button on the multi-select combo drop down is clicked, focus moves to the next control. I have discovered though, that the underlying table does not update immediately, but does so correctly when I close the form. This sequence does not deliver the proper report data, so I need a way to immediately update the underlying table (m...

pattern of data
I have a table in the below format- For example Customer A and Dzip 678 is being served from ozip 099 twice and 011 once ozip dzip customer 099 678 A 011 678 A 099 678 A 121 875 B 122 875 B 122 875 B I need the below format for the above table. the data in the brackets indicate the no of times ozip appears in the table for a particular set of dzip,customer ozip dzip customer 099(2),011(1) 678 A 121(1),122(2) 875 B Please let me know the query which will give the data in the above format. Thanks in...

Refer to SQL statements globally
I have two large SQL statements that I need to use across several forms, reports, etc. Rather than repeat them in each form, I'm trying to store and reference them globally. For example, I'd like to store strSQL1 and strSQL2 in a global module, so I can use either like this in a form: Random form: Me!lstResults.RowSource = strSQL1 Random report: Me.Report.RecordSource = strSQL2 Would I just store the SQL statements in a global module like: Public Function SQLSource() As String Dim strSQL1 As String Dim strSQL2 As String strSQL1 = "SELECT blah blah...

Uninstall CRM, but retain data?
I'm having so many problems with CRM (too many crazy asp.net errors) that instead of spending all my time troubleshooting, I'd like to uninstall and reinstall. However, I have data in my CRM. Not a huge amount of data, but I have 4 userss in there with say, 100 contacts and other information in there each. I know all that info resides in the SQL DB too. Is there a way, that if I uninstall CRM, can I preserve that data and possibly import it back in once I get a new CRM running? Never created any custom anything. Our CRM was pretty much default all the way. I'd hate to ...

To SQL or not to SQL?
I have a very vertical product developed 100% in M/S Access. I developed it myself in 1993 in the initial release of Access and been with it ever since. It is currently very stable and running in Access 2003. My big question is how or even *if* we should move it to SQL. My customers are getting bigger all the time with more users. Typically our customers run one or two workstations generally never more than 5. Performance, however, is starting to slow with database sizes passing 500 meg. We also have a LOT of code behind forms so are bound tightly to the Access development environ...

writeback to SQL 2005
hello! I use excel 2007 iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table. In my workbook i can now see this data from this table. if i change a value in some cell i wish to writeback to table in SQL server. Is this possible? It's possible through the use of VBA and ADO, but not simply using the data connection you've already established. Ross "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D54EC521-0DD5-4B3D-971B-4FF3394D6FA8@microsoft.com... > hello! I use excel 2007 > iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table...

Filling in blank rows in a Table of data
I have a table of data with the following layout Flag Name Service 1 mike service 1 service 2 service 3 1 dave service 1 service 5 1 jeff service 7 service 5 service 4 1 eric service 1 service 9 I am wondering if there is a fomula that will allow me to fill in the blanks (i.e., the missing names) in the name column. I would imagine t...