Smartlist exporting error

I have a user who is trying to export a list to Excel and gets a error
message that it cannot start up excel.Has anyone encountered this before, if
so please advise how to proceed?
0
Olivia (7)

Olivia,

Can you post the exact error message you are getting? Can you start Excel
from the shortcut? If so, it may be an issue with the Office DLL not being
registered properly.

Best regards,
--
MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP

"Olivia" wrote:

> I have a user who is trying to export a list to Excel and gets a error
> message that it cannot start up excel.Has anyone encountered this before, if
> so please advise how to proceed?
Olivia,

If you log onto Windows on that computer as the local administrator, do you
still have the same issue?

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"Olivia" <Olivia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a user who is trying to export a list to Excel and gets a error
> message that it cannot start up excel.Has anyone encountered this before,
> if
> so please advise how to proceed?

0
victoria (3340)
7/9/2008 3:56:18 PM
This will occur if one person with one set of rights on the workstation
installs GP and another person with different rights installs Excell (or
Office).  The two applications are owned by different people and frequently
cannot talk.

We had to delete both applications from the machine, log in with local
administrator rights, and reinstall both applications.  One machine was so
messed up we had to completely reformat it.

There is a workarround but it sometimes takes more time.  We ran an
application that listed the registry keys that were being accessed.  When the
export was attempted, we could see some keys blocked.  We changed the
security rights to those keys and repeated the process.  After about 2 hours,
the export worked.

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Olivia" wrote:

> I have a user who is trying to export a list to Excel and gets a error
> message that it cannot start up excel.Has anyone encountered this before, if
> so please advise how to proceed?
0
info4071 (3004)
7/9/2008 8:55:02 PM
All the user sent me was this "unable to start Excel".Unfortunately we sit at
different sites.Both applications work independantly but together they are
not.How would you check if the Office DLL is registered properly?

"Mariano Gomez <MVP>" wrote:

> Olivia,
>
> Can you post the exact error message you are getting? Can you start Excel
> from the shortcut? If so, it may be an issue with the Office DLL not being
> registered properly.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> MG.-
> Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> Maximum Global Business, LLC
> http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
>

> "Olivia" wrote:
>
> > I have a user who is trying to export a list to Excel and gets a error
> > message that it cannot start up excel.Has anyone encountered this before, if
> > so please advise how to proceed?
0
Olivia (7)
7/10/2008 6:18:01 AM
Hi

The user and i are not on the same site,when i log onto the server it works
perfectly.It seems to be a problem on her computer.Any ideas?

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Olivia,
>
> If you log onto Windows on that computer as the local administrator, do you
> still have the same issue?
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports
> http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
>

> "Olivia" <Olivia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a user who is trying to export a list to Excel and gets a error
> > message that it cannot start up excel.Has anyone encountered this before,
> > if
> > so please advise how to proceed?

0
Olivia (7)
7/10/2008 6:19:00 AM
Hi

We are currently reformatting the users computer as there were a number of
system errors.If the reformat doesnt work, where to then?

"Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:

> This will occur if one person with one set of rights on the workstation
> installs GP and another person with different rights installs Excell (or
> Office).  The two applications are owned by different people and frequently
> cannot talk.
>
> We had to delete both applications from the machine, log in with local
> administrator rights, and reinstall both applications.  One machine was so
> messed up we had to completely reformat it.
>
> There is a workarround but it sometimes takes more time.  We ran an
> application that listed the registry keys that were being accessed.  When the
> export was attempted, we could see some keys blocked.  We changed the
> security rights to those keys and repeated the process.  After about 2 hours,
> the export worked.
>
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "Olivia" wrote:
>
> > I have a user who is trying to export a list to Excel and gets a error
> > message that it cannot start up excel.Has anyone encountered this before, if
> > so please advise how to proceed?
0
Olivia (7)
7/10/2008 6:21:02 AM
Olivia,

Since this is typically a computer specific issue, you're going to need to
either be onsite or have someone onsite help you troubleshoot this.  Unless
you're referring to a terminal or Citrix server which both you and the user
are accessing for this?  Doesn't sound like it from your post but just
wanted to make sure.

If the user is running this locally on their computer, as Richard said in
his post, this is typically an issue of how either GP, Excel, or both were
installed.  The other possibility is that it's user permissions, but that is
much less frequent (if this is a terminal/cirtix server, this is probably
the answer, though).

We have seen many cases where Excel simply was not initialized and once it
is, the GP to Excel import will work with no problems.  This is what logging
into Windows as the local administrator and trying the export would
accomplish.  If the local administrator can export to Excel from GP, then
log back into Windows as the original user and see if it still gives you an
error.  (By the way, I mean THE local administrator, not a user who happens
to be in the local administrators group.)

If you still have the error, here is some additional information that would
help to troubleshoot this:
The exact and complete error message
GP version and service pack
Excel version and service pack
Operating System and service pack

--

> Hi
>
> The user and i are not on the same site,when i log onto the server it
> works
> perfectly.It seems to be a problem on her computer.Any ideas?
>
> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Olivia,
>>
>> If you log onto Windows on that computer as the local administrator, do
>> you
>> still have the same issue?
>>
>> --
>> Victoria Yudin
>> Dynamics GP MVP
>> Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports
>> http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
>>

>> "Olivia" <Olivia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a user who is trying to export a list to Excel and gets a error
>> > message that it cannot start up excel.Has anyone encountered this
>> > before,
>> > if
>> > so please advise how to proceed?

0
victoria (3340)
7/10/2008 9:01:53 AM
Just make sure the admin user installs all of the software and you will be ok
--

"Olivia" wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are currently reformatting the users computer as there were a number of
> system errors.If the reformat doesnt work, where to then?
>
> "Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:
>
> > This will occur if one person with one set of rights on the workstation
> > installs GP and another person with different rights installs Excell (or
> > Office).  The two applications are owned by different people and frequently
> > cannot talk.
> >
> > We had to delete both applications from the machine, log in with local
> > administrator rights, and reinstall both applications.  One machine was so
> > messed up we had to completely reformat it.
> >
> > There is a workarround but it sometimes takes more time.  We ran an
> > application that listed the registry keys that were being accessed.  When the
> > export was attempted, we could see some keys blocked.  We changed the
> > security rights to those keys and repeated the process.  After about 2 hours,
> > the export worked.
> >
> > --
> > Richard L. Whaley
> > Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> > Documentation for Software Users
> >
> > Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
> > http://www.AccoladePublications.com
> >

> > "Olivia" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a user who is trying to export a list to Excel and gets a error
> > > message that it cannot start up excel.Has anyone encountered this before, if
> > > so please advise how to proceed?
0
info4071 (3004)
7/11/2008 5:32:00 PM
Hi Victoria,

We are having this same issue.  We are running GP on a Citrix server.  When
we try to export a SmartList to Excel, we get "unable to start Microsoft
Excel".  Do you have any suggestions for me?  I did see the posts about
trying it the local administrator, which we're going to try tomorrow.

Thank you!

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Olivia,
>
> Since this is typically a computer specific issue, you're going to need to
> either be onsite or have someone onsite help you troubleshoot this.  Unless
> you're referring to a terminal or Citrix server which both you and the user
> are accessing for this?  Doesn't sound like it from your post but just
> wanted to make sure.
>
> If the user is running this locally on their computer, as Richard said in
> his post, this is typically an issue of how either GP, Excel, or both were
> installed.  The other possibility is that it's user permissions, but that is
> much less frequent (if this is a terminal/cirtix server, this is probably
> the answer, though).
>
> We have seen many cases where Excel simply was not initialized and once it
> is, the GP to Excel import will work with no problems.  This is what logging
> into Windows as the local administrator and trying the export would
> accomplish.  If the local administrator can export to Excel from GP, then
> log back into Windows as the original user and see if it still gives you an
> error.  (By the way, I mean THE local administrator, not a user who happens
> to be in the local administrators group.)
>
> If you still have the error, here is some additional information that would
> help to troubleshoot this:
> The exact and complete error message
> GP version and service pack
> Excel version and service pack
> Operating System and service pack
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports
> http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
>

> "Olivia" <Olivia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > The user and i are not on the same site,when i log onto the server it
> > works
> > perfectly.It seems to be a problem on her computer.Any ideas?
> >
> > "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Olivia,
> >>
> >> If you log onto Windows on that computer as the local administrator, do
> >> you
> >> still have the same issue?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Victoria Yudin
> >> Dynamics GP MVP
> >> Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports
> >> http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
> >>

> >> "Olivia" <Olivia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Elaine (443)
8/25/2009 8:52:09 PM
Elaine,

If trying it as the local administrator (and by this I mean 'the built-in
account for administering the computer') works, try it after that as a
regular user.  It may just start working once initialized by the local
administrator.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"Elaine" <Elaine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Victoria,
>
> We are having this same issue.  We are running GP on a Citrix server.
> When
> we try to export a SmartList to Excel, we get "unable to start Microsoft
> Excel".  Do you have any suggestions for me?  I did see the posts about
> trying it the local administrator, which we're going to try tomorrow.
>
> Thank you!
>
> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Olivia,
>>
>> Since this is typically a computer specific issue, you're going to need
>> either be onsite or have someone onsite help you troubleshoot this.
>> Unless
>> you're referring to a terminal or Citrix server which both you and the
>> user
>> are accessing for this?  Doesn't sound like it from your post but just
>> wanted to make sure.
>>
>> If the user is running this locally on their computer, as Richard said in
>> his post, this is typically an issue of how either GP, Excel, or both
>> were
>> installed.  The other possibility is that it's user permissions, but that
>> is
>> much less frequent (if this is a terminal/cirtix server, this is probably
>> the answer, though).
>>
>> We have seen many cases where Excel simply was not initialized and once
>> it
>> is, the GP to Excel import will work with no problems.  This is what
>> logging
>> into Windows as the local administrator and trying the export would
>> accomplish.  If the local administrator can export to Excel from GP, then
>> log back into Windows as the original user and see if it still gives you
>> an
>> error.  (By the way, I mean THE local administrator, not a user who
>> happens
>> to be in the local administrators group.)
>>
>> If you still have the error, here is some additional information that
>> would
>> help to troubleshoot this:
>> The exact and complete error message
>> GP version and service pack
>> Excel version and service pack
>> Operating System and service pack
>>
>> --
>> Victoria Yudin
>> Dynamics GP MVP
>> Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports
>> http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
>>

>> "Olivia" <Olivia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > The user and i are not on the same site,when i log onto the server it
>> > works
>> > perfectly.It seems to be a problem on her computer.Any ideas?

0
victoria (3340)

SmartList Security for New SmartLists
I'm having a problem with version 9 SmartList Security. I create a SmartList and then open SmartList and let it add the new object. I go to Advanced Security and the SmartList is marked automatically but nobody that is marked for it can see it. I have to unmark and remark the checkbox. Is there a setup issue or a software issue? -- Charles Allen, MVP Hi Charles, I have you gone into Smart list Security. I have found that even though the New Smartlist object is checked in Advanced Security, it will not be checked in the Smart List Security. I believe that this has been writt...

Error #9
What have I done? My outlook will not open. I get an error message: OUTLOOK .exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. What do I do??? Carol cogitated deeply and scribbled thusly: > What have I done? My outlook will not open. I get an > error message: OUTLOOK .exe has generated errors and will > be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. > What do I do??? Detect and Repair. -- gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk To email me replace the obvious! Gordon wrote: > Carol cogitated deeply and scribbled thusl...

Excel error message #9
Hi All: When one particular user tries to access a network shared directory containing Excel .xlt files, she receives the following message: Excel cannot access 'file...'file may be read-only or encrypted. (Excel 2003) If I log on with her credentials, I receive the above error. While logged in as myself on the same pc, no problems. All other users are not experiencing any issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It appears to be something with her NT profile but I do not know what. TIA BillT ...

Access External Tables Using SmartList Builder
Can I access external SQL tables in SmartList Builder? We want to query tables in the Tensoft Fabless Semiconductor Manufacturing (FSM) software module that is bolted to GP. Thank you. You certainly can! If your tables reside in another database, you will need to create views from within your GP company database as follow: create view vwTensoftTable as select field1, field2,...,fieldN from YourTensoftDatabase.dbo.tensofttable You will need to then grant permissions to DYNGRP on those views. From there on, you can pull into SLB. Best regards, -- Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, ...

Error 339 in FRx for Drilldown viewer on Citrix.
First of all they are running FRx 6.7 with the latest service pack and the are using FRx in a Citrix environment. FRx Designer runs fine. Generating report to Drilldown viewer Component TList32p.ocx or one of its dependencies is not registered. I installed the latest patch and I tried to manually register the ocx file. Everything worked properly two days ago. According to the client, nothing was changed, but now there is an error. Please not they also re-installed the program and were still getting the error. Thanks, Scott ...

Error adding shared mailbox OUTLOOK 2003
Hi im unable to add a shared mailbox, as soon as i click the ADD button i recieve this error:- The name could not be resolved. The action could not be completed. Thing is i cant add a name the error appears as soon as i click ADD. It will work on a few machines though? Any clues please. Logged in as you, using your Outlook profile you can add this mailbox with out issue? The reason I ask is because this is a common response/error if you do not have permissions to a mailbox. Another possibility is that the mailbox is offline and can not communicate with the Exchange server. Check ...

Error 1402.Setup--Cannot Repair--Code 57A Errors During Updates
Windows 7 64-bit, Office 2007 Enterprise edition Many people have reported this issue, but after 3 days and a dozen (wasted) hours, none of the sugestions I've read so far, have yet worked. Suite apps all work fine...it is just that for some of the "important updates", the install fails (Code 57A). When I try to repair off the DVD, I get the "...cannot open the registry key UNKNOWN\Components\(...)\(...) Verify that you have sufficient permissions..." Then I am directed to a file for instructions on how to contact Microsoft PSS--only the file...

MSPUB.exe generates system errors
I attempt to launch a Publisher documnent and it gives an error "MSPUB.exe has generated errors and will shut down". What would cause this? I am running Windows 2000 sp4 and Office 2000 Professional sp3???? kevin wrote: > I attempt to launch a Publisher documnent and it gives an > error "MSPUB.exe has generated errors and will shut > down". What would cause this? I am running Windows 2000 > sp4 and Office 2000 Professional sp3???? ============================= Maybe the following KB article will offer some ideas: (243820) PUB2000 Errors When Saving Publication...

SmartList/SmartList builder
Hello, I was training a group of customers today on SmartList builder and they were creating trying to create a SmartList report. Everything goes well until at least 4 or 5 of them were having errors saving the SmartList in the SmartList Builder window. The error was something about a duplicate key being created on the SLB11000 and the SLB 11100 tables (I cannot recall which users have errors on which tables) but after attempting to save the SmartList ID and building the SmartList ID on the actual SmartList view, I cannot see the favorite there. (They say they may have, at one point in...

Access Violation (0xc000005) Error
Hi All, Im facing a typical problem since past two days. Earlier I got this problem when i was using Extende MAPI while opening strems. So I thought im doing some mistake when Im opening streams. So for the moment I left it a side and now im trying to copy a simple LPCSTR into stream. Still Im getting same access violation (0xc000005) error when im dealing with Streams.. So now im sure that im doing some mistake. But I dont know why the error is commin Exactly. So plz let me know why this error is commoing. Here Im pasting the code which describes what im doing. **** Is the ...

Exporting to Excel from Advanced Find
When I've done an advanced find search and then exported that list to excel, it closes the Advanced Find window automatically. It never used to happen and now all of a sudden it happens. It used to bring up a pop up box saying You are about to navigate away from this page... Is there anyway to stop Advanced Find automatically closing after exporting to excel? Hi Anne, This behaviour doesn't sound familiar to me. Have you performed customizations lately? Maybe some installs of a rollup package or hotfix? -- Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP Avanade Netherlands http://www.ronaldlemmen...

2 GB storage/operations limit errors and repairs
Have a friend that has experienced a 2GB operational limit/error. Any suggestions regarding repair and/or proper fix? His OS is 2K Pro, as for his Outlook - 2000. My outlook.pst file was under 600K in the last backup a week ago, now one week later it is over 2G using the same OS. I receive an error meesage -- detected in the file archive and outlook pst. Quit all mail-enabled application, and then use the inbox repair tool. This happen to me and another PC at my company yesterday. Do you think this is a new virus or the latest affects from a MS loaded office patch? I have had to ...

Received Not Invoiced
GP 9.0 contains a prewritten Smartlist under Receivings line Items entitled "Shipments Received but Not Invoiced*". I, erroneously, expected the results to match the Received Not Invoiced report (Reports - Purchasing - Analysis - Received Not Invoiced). However, it does not. In my instance, the Smartlist contains numerous items that are not on the report. It appears that the Smartlist is simply querying POP10500 file and comparing the QTY Shipped field to the QTY Matched fields and displaying those items where these amounts are not equal. When I attempted to examine the Rece...

Exporting - Importing
I'm creating a product catalog consisting of two parts: some general presentation pages and the product datasheets. At this moment, both parts are finished and were done with Microsoft Publisher 2003. The general document contains masters with page numbers and I would like to import the datasheets into it in order to make a unique file to be printed. The problem is If I copy/paste the datasheets into it, some formats are lost and styles get mixed with the document ones. I found out the perfect solution for me would be to export a JPG/EPS file format and import it as image file again in ...

error message opening links in outlook
when i click on a link in outlook, i get this message: this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. i never used to get this. how do i fix it? -- debbie "debbie" <debbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB2F9EF8-ABB0-484D-B2F1-C682D5AB11B3@microsoft.com... > when i click on a link in outlook, i get this message: this operation has > been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. i never > used > to get this. how do i fix it? Google still works you know.... http://www.slipstick...

CoCreateInstanceEx error ?
Hello, I am getting the following error returned from CoCreateInstanceEx via FormatMessage: Invalid FORMATETC structure What does it mean? -- Bill Swartz, PhD Voss Scientific "Bill Swartz" <bills@vosssci.com> wrote in message news:Ov$WJYBQDHA.1748@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I am getting the following error returned from CoCreateInstanceEx via > FormatMessage: > Invalid FORMATETC structure > What does it mean? Not much, I suspect. The error code is DV_E_FORMATETC == 0x80040064. It's in FACILITY_ITF == 4, which is reserved for custom application-defin...

Send/Receive button error
When using the outlook Send/Receive button, I get the error, "The operation failed. An object could not be found." No codes, no memory addresses,just the message text. I've performed an Office repair/reinstall - no help. Any ideas of what to try? Jerry, I know this may be a dumb question, but do you have service pack 3 installed? To find out, click on the help button, about, and see if it has SP3 in the version. I ask because I found your error message here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=324918 If you do have it installed we'll have to try to f...

Exporting Reports to Microsoft Word
We need to have the reports exported to Word to make the necessary edits(individual item specific notes) for each customer. I noticed that there are several options but not for Microsoft Word. I would assume that since this a Microsoft product that Word would be a natural option. Do we have to buy a separate add-in? Or is there a download for this? Thank you trickett@dliengineering.com SQL Reporting Services does not provide an extension to generate MS Word document out of the box, even though this is asked for quite often. However there are serval options to get Word document from S...

Help with Windows Update Errors
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01CB21E9.3261FC10 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0012_01CB21E9.3261FC10" ------=_NextPart_001_0012_01CB21E9.3261FC10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable My system (HP Pavilion 64-bit Windows Vista) has been trying to download = and install four important updates and failing. Previously, my updates = were all smooth. The two error codes I am getting are as follows: a.. Code 8007065B Windows U...

Exporting an editable file
I don't have Publisher Have a (luddite) client who has a two page .pub document and after a struggle, finally got it in pdf format, but the pdf does not allow copying any of the text although the security settings allow it. How do I tell her to export the text so that it can be included in an information document? Thanks, Beverly Howard Will copy and paste into Word do it for you? -- Don Vancouver, USA "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in message news:uVIla2EoEHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I don't have Publisher > &...

Can't export email form to Access (Error Msg Corrupt or Modified)
When I receive a competed Access Data Form in, Access Data Collection Replies, to update data in a Access Table. I get an error msg (Email Form is Corrupt or Has Been Modified) when I try to export to Access. Using Windows 7 - Access 2007 & Outlook 2007 -- Bill ...

Smartlist Security
OK... SmartlIst Builder.... V10 Where did they now hide the Smartlist Security window to give User/User Class access to the new objects???? Bueno1 Access to smartlists is controled through the Alternate/Modified forms and Reports (Tools->Setup->System->Alternate......) Select the profile (forms and reports group) to be modified and then select Smartlists. View the list of Smartlists and mark which ones this profile should have access to. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and ch...

Error: A program is trying to access email addresses you have stored in outlook.
Getting the above error when attempting to sync with palm vx. 'Use to work' okay. Recently restored laptop (Dell) from Dell cd, windows 2000 pro, outlook 2000. Reinstalled Palm hot sync software, but now getting the above message. Choosing YES, handheld sync's okay. Complete message is: __________________________________________ A program is trying to access e-mail address you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose "no". ________________________________________________________ Machine i...

error #2
i have a inhandled script exception with exception_class_script_out_of_range This would probably be better handled by logging a support case via eSupport. However, to assist you they would need to know the exact message that you were receiving and any details or more info the dialog might provide. They would also need to know what products you have installed (by providing a copy of the DYNAMICS.SET file) and exactly what are the steps to reproduce the error. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer MBS Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Business Solutions h...

Displaying "Export to Excel" in a context menu.
We have a software package that uses a web control that customer orders are inserted into in the form of a table. Some of our office PC's display an Export to Excel menu item in the context menu of the web control, while others do not. We use versions of Office from 97 to 2003 and this is consistent across the different versions. We are trying to place instructions in our software's help file on how to get the Export to Excel context menu item to display so our customers can set it up themselves. I have spent close to two days going over the Excel help file and the Office web site and...