Smartlist Builder - My Gripes and Boo Hoos

#1 By default, a smart list I created displays as

Current | 31-60 | 61-90 | Vendor Name | Amount Due | Vendor Number | Over 90

I need to be able to change the default display order.  This is also a HUGE 
problem when designating a a Smartlist as a GoTo.  I have a summary report 
with a Favorite that displays the correct order, {{{BUT}}} when the detail 
GoTo (same, but shows documents) is selected, it displays the columns all 
scrambled again.   :(

#2 I should be able to point a GoTo to a Smartlist Favorite, but can't.  :(

#3 I should be able to see a summary total at the bottom (on the status 
bar).  It has a record count, so why not add a summary total so users don't 
have to export to Excel.  :(

#4 The available scripting syntax for calculations is way, way to limited to 
be of much use.  For example, in the above #1, I had to use GETDATE() as the 
aging date comparative field because the GP system date is unavailable.  So, 
users can't run the report as of the end of a month unless it is actually the 
end of the month.  :(

#5 There needs to be much better documentation about creating and passing 
parameters to GoTos (that work) for windows where a check mark or radio 
button must be set.  :(

#6 When are we going to be able to move the vertical pane bar (bar of pain) 
in the Smartlist window???  :( x 2

#7 Please grant security for new Smartlists be granted for 'sa' by default.  
:(

#8 Please give us the ability to create and/or import our own SQL select 
scripts (I've got a wood for that one!).  :(

Well, those are my Gripes and Boo Hoos.  Please, oh please make all my 
dreams come true!  :)

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the 
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I 
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this 
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then 
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=69cdecbb-0f6d-4cef-8e5b-1fbfddb4d5d0&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
5/17/2006 8:32:02 PM
greatplains 29623 articles. 5 followers. Follow

3 Replies
344 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 15

SLB had the ability to enter SQL scripts until MS took it over. MS changed 
the functionality due to the desire to take away scripts. They felt that 
there were security issues if people could write SQL scripts. That's what I 
was told. As you probably know, a SQL view can be created and then used 
within SLB. 


-- 
Charles Allen, MVP



"cpa-mcse.net" wrote:

> #1 By default, a smart list I created displays as
> 
> Current | 31-60 | 61-90 | Vendor Name | Amount Due | Vendor Number | Over 90
> 
> I need to be able to change the default display order.  This is also a HUGE 
> problem when designating a a Smartlist as a GoTo.  I have a summary report 
> with a Favorite that displays the correct order, {{{BUT}}} when the detail 
> GoTo (same, but shows documents) is selected, it displays the columns all 
> scrambled again.   :(
> 
> #2 I should be able to point a GoTo to a Smartlist Favorite, but can't.  :(
> 
> #3 I should be able to see a summary total at the bottom (on the status 
> bar).  It has a record count, so why not add a summary total so users don't 
> have to export to Excel.  :(
> 
> #4 The available scripting syntax for calculations is way, way to limited to 
> be of much use.  For example, in the above #1, I had to use GETDATE() as the 
> aging date comparative field because the GP system date is unavailable.  So, 
> users can't run the report as of the end of a month unless it is actually the 
> end of the month.  :(
> 
> #5 There needs to be much better documentation about creating and passing 
> parameters to GoTos (that work) for windows where a check mark or radio 
> button must be set.  :(
> 
> #6 When are we going to be able to move the vertical pane bar (bar of pain) 
> in the Smartlist window???  :( x 2
> 
> #7 Please grant security for new Smartlists be granted for 'sa' by default.  
> :(
> 
> #8 Please give us the ability to create and/or import our own SQL select 
> scripts (I've got a wood for that one!).  :(
> 
> Well, those are my Gripes and Boo Hoos.  Please, oh please make all my 
> dreams come true!  :)
> 
> ----------------
> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the 
> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I 
> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this 
> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then 
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> 
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=69cdecbb-0f6d-4cef-8e5b-1fbfddb4d5d0&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
callen (2505)
5/19/2006 4:59:01 AM
Ugggh.  They took it away?  Why do they have to meddle with everything?  One 
would think that whomever would be authorized to create Smartlists would also 
have proper rights to circumvent security through the front door if that is 
what they were up to doing.  So in most installs, nothing was gained by that. 
 Heck, they could've just added another 'sa' only rights option to the window 
that would allow script writing [duh].  

Thanks for the info.  Yes, views are cool, but I was thinking more along the 
lines that if I could script in SMB, I could do just about anything (such as 
pull the GP system date), create temp tables for weird calculations, and 
other diabolical goodness.

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> SLB had the ability to enter SQL scripts until MS took it over. MS changed 
> the functionality due to the desire to take away scripts. They felt that 
> there were security issues if people could write SQL scripts. That's what I 
> was told. As you probably know, a SQL view can be created and then used 
> within SLB. 
> 
> 
> -- 
> Charles Allen, MVP
> 
> 
> 
> "cpa-mcse.net" wrote:
> 
> > #1 By default, a smart list I created displays as
> > 
> > Current | 31-60 | 61-90 | Vendor Name | Amount Due | Vendor Number | Over 90
> > 
> > I need to be able to change the default display order.  This is also a HUGE 
> > problem when designating a a Smartlist as a GoTo.  I have a summary report 
> > with a Favorite that displays the correct order, {{{BUT}}} when the detail 
> > GoTo (same, but shows documents) is selected, it displays the columns all 
> > scrambled again.   :(
> > 
> > #2 I should be able to point a GoTo to a Smartlist Favorite, but can't.  :(
> > 
> > #3 I should be able to see a summary total at the bottom (on the status 
> > bar).  It has a record count, so why not add a summary total so users don't 
> > have to export to Excel.  :(
> > 
> > #4 The available scripting syntax for calculations is way, way to limited to 
> > be of much use.  For example, in the above #1, I had to use GETDATE() as the 
> > aging date comparative field because the GP system date is unavailable.  So, 
> > users can't run the report as of the end of a month unless it is actually the 
> > end of the month.  :(
> > 
> > #5 There needs to be much better documentation about creating and passing 
> > parameters to GoTos (that work) for windows where a check mark or radio 
> > button must be set.  :(
> > 
> > #6 When are we going to be able to move the vertical pane bar (bar of pain) 
> > in the Smartlist window???  :( x 2
> > 
> > #7 Please grant security for new Smartlists be granted for 'sa' by default.  
> > :(
> > 
> > #8 Please give us the ability to create and/or import our own SQL select 
> > scripts (I've got a wood for that one!).  :(
> > 
> > Well, those are my Gripes and Boo Hoos.  Please, oh please make all my 
> > dreams come true!  :)
> > 
> > ----------------
> > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the 
> > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I 
> > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this 
> > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then 
> > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> > 
> > http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=69cdecbb-0f6d-4cef-8e5b-1fbfddb4d5d0&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
cpamcsenet (44)
5/19/2006 1:37:01 PM
The scripting was SQL scripting. If you couldn't write it in a SQL statement, 
you couldn't do it. 
-- 
Charles Allen, MVP



"cpa-mcse.net" wrote:

> Ugggh.  They took it away?  Why do they have to meddle with everything?  One 
> would think that whomever would be authorized to create Smartlists would also 
> have proper rights to circumvent security through the front door if that is 
> what they were up to doing.  So in most installs, nothing was gained by that. 
>  Heck, they could've just added another 'sa' only rights option to the window 
> that would allow script writing [duh].  
> 
> Thanks for the info.  Yes, views are cool, but I was thinking more along the 
> lines that if I could script in SMB, I could do just about anything (such as 
> pull the GP system date), create temp tables for weird calculations, and 
> other diabolical goodness.
> 
> "Charles Allen" wrote:
> 
> > SLB had the ability to enter SQL scripts until MS took it over. MS changed 
> > the functionality due to the desire to take away scripts. They felt that 
> > there were security issues if people could write SQL scripts. That's what I 
> > was told. As you probably know, a SQL view can be created and then used 
> > within SLB. 
> > 
> > 
> > -- 
> > Charles Allen, MVP
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > "cpa-mcse.net" wrote:
> > 
> > > #1 By default, a smart list I created displays as
> > > 
> > > Current | 31-60 | 61-90 | Vendor Name | Amount Due | Vendor Number | Over 90
> > > 
> > > I need to be able to change the default display order.  This is also a HUGE 
> > > problem when designating a a Smartlist as a GoTo.  I have a summary report 
> > > with a Favorite that displays the correct order, {{{BUT}}} when the detail 
> > > GoTo (same, but shows documents) is selected, it displays the columns all 
> > > scrambled again.   :(
> > > 
> > > #2 I should be able to point a GoTo to a Smartlist Favorite, but can't.  :(
> > > 
> > > #3 I should be able to see a summary total at the bottom (on the status 
> > > bar).  It has a record count, so why not add a summary total so users don't 
> > > have to export to Excel.  :(
> > > 
> > > #4 The available scripting syntax for calculations is way, way to limited to 
> > > be of much use.  For example, in the above #1, I had to use GETDATE() as the 
> > > aging date comparative field because the GP system date is unavailable.  So, 
> > > users can't run the report as of the end of a month unless it is actually the 
> > > end of the month.  :(
> > > 
> > > #5 There needs to be much better documentation about creating and passing 
> > > parameters to GoTos (that work) for windows where a check mark or radio 
> > > button must be set.  :(
> > > 
> > > #6 When are we going to be able to move the vertical pane bar (bar of pain) 
> > > in the Smartlist window???  :( x 2
> > > 
> > > #7 Please grant security for new Smartlists be granted for 'sa' by default.  
> > > :(
> > > 
> > > #8 Please give us the ability to create and/or import our own SQL select 
> > > scripts (I've got a wood for that one!).  :(
> > > 
> > > Well, those are my Gripes and Boo Hoos.  Please, oh please make all my 
> > > dreams come true!  :)
> > > 
> > > ----------------
> > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the 
> > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I 
> > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this 
> > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then 
> > > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> > > 
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=69cdecbb-0f6d-4cef-8e5b-1fbfddb4d5d0&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
callen (2505)
5/20/2006 1:56:02 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Re: My top wants and gripes for MS Money 2005
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C4CCF2.C97B00D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable One more thing when you do a backup to a flash card the rw?.tmp firles = that are created need to go away.=20 "Jim" <razerviper-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:... I want the dual drop down category box again. Looks like this one may be fixed by the new patch and a reg key. = I will believe it when I see it. I want update prices manually put back on the right click con...

Access External Tables Using SmartList Builder
Can I access external SQL tables in SmartList Builder? We want to query tables in the Tensoft Fabless Semiconductor Manufacturing (FSM) software module that is bolted to GP. Thank you. You certainly can! If your tables reside in another database, you will need to create views from within your GP company database as follow: create view vwTensoftTable as select field1, field2,...,fieldN from YourTensoftDatabase.dbo.tensofttable You will need to then grant permissions to DYNGRP on those views. From there on, you can pull into SLB. Best regards, -- Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, ...

SmartList Security for New SmartLists
I'm having a problem with version 9 SmartList Security. I create a SmartList and then open SmartList and let it add the new object. I go to Advanced Security and the SmartList is marked automatically but nobody that is marked for it can see it. I have to unmark and remark the checkbox. Is there a setup issue or a software issue? -- Charles Allen, MVP Hi Charles, I have you gone into Smart list Security. I have found that even though the New Smartlist object is checked in Advanced Security, it will not be checked in the Smart List Security. I believe that this has been writt...

SmartList/SmartList builder
Hello, I was training a group of customers today on SmartList builder and they were creating trying to create a SmartList report. Everything goes well until at least 4 or 5 of them were having errors saving the SmartList in the SmartList Builder window. The error was something about a duplicate key being created on the SLB11000 and the SLB 11100 tables (I cannot recall which users have errors on which tables) but after attempting to save the SmartList ID and building the SmartList ID on the actual SmartList view, I cannot see the favorite there. (They say they may have, at one point in...

Received Not Invoiced
GP 9.0 contains a prewritten Smartlist under Receivings line Items entitled "Shipments Received but Not Invoiced*". I, erroneously, expected the results to match the Received Not Invoiced report (Reports - Purchasing - Analysis - Received Not Invoiced). However, it does not. In my instance, the Smartlist contains numerous items that are not on the report. It appears that the Smartlist is simply querying POP10500 file and comparing the QTY Shipped field to the QTY Matched fields and displaying those items where these amounts are not equal. When I attempted to examine the Rece...

Smartlist Security
OK... SmartlIst Builder.... V10 Where did they now hide the Smartlist Security window to give User/User Class access to the new objects???? Bueno1 Access to smartlists is controled through the Alternate/Modified forms and Reports (Tools->Setup->System->Alternate......) Select the profile (forms and reports group) to be modified and then select Smartlists. View the list of Smartlists and mark which ones this profile should have access to. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and ch...

Smartlist Creation
New User - Went into Smartlist under Customer Balance and added the aging to it but when it refreshed everything was 0-30 days. I know if I run an AR aging report it will not reflect everything in 0-30 days. Where does the Smartlist pull its data from. Go to Tools->Routines->Sales->Ageing and run this process. It ages the accounts just like the report but it writes the data back to the tables. This provides the data for the SmartList as well as updating the agening displays and information printed on statements. Richard L. Whaley Author/Consultant btw.....more informat...

Default column layout in Smartlist Builder
When generating new Smart list using the Smartlist Builder tool it would be great to allow for a means of identifying what the default column layout to be rather that having to create a favorite to do that. For Example. If SLB wanted to place columns 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 as such you could tell it to make it 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 instead in the root folder of the new SL created ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see th...

SMARTLIST REPORTS
i can't modify smartlist reports is there a way to modify reports from smartlist. can i modify smartlist reports in version 9 or in the succeeding versions(ex. 10-11) -- Jeremy Ayaay Technical Specialist STRC Jher, If you are talking about creating you own smartlist reports, you can use Smartlist Builder. This will allow you to create your own smartlist, as well as use SQL Views to pull into Smartlists. If this is not what you are looking for, can you please explain a little more about which reports you want to modify in Smartlist. "Jher" wrote: > i can't mod...

V10 Smartlist Builder smartlists
I upgraded from V9 to V10, none of my users (except power users) see the manufacturing smartlists or the Smartlist Builder smartlists we created in V9. Where is the security for this? thanks! -- Doug ...

Smartlist Grouping
Is there any way to group the ever increasing list of SmartList reports into logical 'folders'. Would be great to have one for Finance, one for Operations etc. and have department or function specific reports under there instead of a huge list through which one has to scroll. thanks. Nope, but it would be nice. I have seen folks add their name to the end so other people know no to change it. You could add a department to the front so at least everything would be grouped together. Then again, you've already got a big list like the rest of us don't you? Mark (DynamicAccounti...

Smartlist builder-New smartlist
I have users (set up as a poweruser in Dynamics) that can start the process of building a brand new smartlist. They select the table and the key field, then click save. Smartlist builder returns to the previous window but none of the table fields are listed on the right side (it is just blank) Usually it lists all the table fields and you can select which ones to use (with check boxes) and which will default. I dont understand what is going on or where to even check... Has anyone else see this? -- Doug ...

Aging and Smartlist Glitch???
I have run a Vendor Balance Smartlist and also an aged TB with options for payables. There is a discrepancy between the two reports for one particular vendor. Does anyone know how this is possible, and also how to fix the amount that one report is showing?? The balance on the Trial Balance is correct, the smartlist is showing that I owe them more money than I really do. Brian: Check the currency of your vendor. Smart list may (likely is not sure if current version of smart list can handle multi currency, older ones could not) be picking up the default currency that you have setup w...

duplicating SmartLists in SmartList Builder
Hello: Let's say that you create a SmartList in SmartList Builder. And, let's say that you want to create a similar SmartList in SmartList Builder without having to reinvent the wheel. How do you do this? Exporting the original SmartList ID to an xml file and importing it does not do any good, because doing so does nothing more than import that SmartList back into the original SmartList ID. I tested, just now, the idea of opening the xml file in text and replacing the ID and SmartList/Item name with a different ID and name. That did not work either. So, is there a way to d...

Smartlist Builder View Security
I have a poweruser who builds Smartlist reports but she does not have access to SQL. When she creates a new report using an existing View, the user always gets a blank Smartlist report (exploring...completed... no records). We followed the advice to mark all tables and views in SmartList builder security but that never seems to do the trick. I am running grant.sql on all our companies now. Does she have to come to me to run the script every time she has a new report? Why doesn't the Smartlist Security option add DYNGRP to the view security? thanks Because Smartlis...

Customization and gripes on Office 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a few problems with the new Office interface and am wondering if there is a way to customize some of these things to make them to my liking. I don't like toolbars attached to the document. Can I stick them down like they were in 2004? (I think I read this may be a Mac interface thing.) If you have no document open, you have NO "open" icon to push to quickly open a file. Attaching the toolbar to every document clutters up the interface. This is a VERY poor change. In Excel, I can't find a way to...

SmartList Print
We added a note field to a SmartList. When we run the SmartList, we see the note in its entirety. When we print to screen, the note is cutoff. The report cannot be modified in Report writer because it was not created in Report writer. It exports to Excel correctly. Any ideas regarding how to print the SmartList to show the note field in its entirety? From Microsoft: It looks like this is a limitation of the report that SmartList is printing to. This is a hard-coded report that isn't associated with Report Writer, so it cannot be modified. If I chose to export the results to a...

Smartlist
Is there anyway to show total value in smartlist, like Total Sales in one month period. Yes, there is with SmartList Builder from eOne Solutions or AnyView from Accountable Software. b0rne0 wrote: > Is there anyway to show total value in smartlist, like Total Sales in one > month period. > > ...

More griping about P.O.s in RMS 2.0
I recently upgraded to 2.0 and I cannot believe how HORRIBLE the new P.O. "Add Items" window is. Did anyone at MS actually test it before they added it to 2.0? It works fine for a vendor with only a few items, but otherwise, it's a nightmare. Sometimes I'll add a bunch of items in the window and then find that an item is not in the list and I'll have to look-up the item and add it via Quickscan. But then I'll inadvertently 'X' out of the window and lose everything. Speaking of X-ing out, I thought they would have created a 'prompt to save'...

SmartList #9
I am trying to use SmartList and when I do it gives me a "The product is not loaded "error message. I looked in the Knowledgebase and found Article 904043 which states that PDK has started before GP. As I am accessing GP through a remote desktop, how do I start GP before PDK? ...

SmartList Builder Smartlist returning 0.00
Hello there, I have a custom smart list built through smartlist builder based on a single view. The view returns customer sales and returns data. The view works correctly, the security is dialed in and the smart list is setup and runs fine. The issue is that the smart list displays 0.00 for all dollar amounts. Again, both the view and the sql generated by dynamics for the smart list (via sql profiler) return actual dollar amounts. Any ideas? Thanks, Jason ...

Smartlist
I am wondering how to get the favorites to update when the smartlist is updated? I have added several columns to a smartlist. However, the favorites that users have created do not show these new columns, not is it an option to add them when you click Columns. Do all favorites have to be recreated in order to make use of the smartlist updates? Thanks. When a user creates favorites, they can select, among other things, the columns to show. Now if someone comes along and changes the columns in the default SmartList...why should it change someone's favorites when they had it the way ...

Date() frustration within query builder
hi.. I have created an application which scans barcoded mail items and injects results into a.n.other table. As part of v2 I'm trying to offer even more usability/funtionality. Basically at the end of the day when the operator produces his/her 'dayend' tasks I want to offer them a button on the main form which, when clicked runs a query which shows a total for today of pieces of mail type "blah" - in this case, there's only a choice of two mail types. goneaways & prizedraws. http://pastebin.com/m2f6bec45 - this works fine when manually entering the date in the...

smartlist for inventory
I am trying to build a smartlist that will give the item opening balance, items received/shipped and closing balance. Is anything like this possible and can anyone guide me? Jack - I assume you want to do this "as of" a particular date, and covering a specified date range? I think the historical stock status report is your best shot for using an existing tool to get this info out of gp. Otherwise, I think you'd need a custom solution (dexterity or crystal reports). Brenner "Jack Tundra" wrote: > I am trying to build a smartlist that will give the item o...

Retained Earnings Smartlist after Year End Close
Hi, We just completed a GL YE Close on GP 10 (SP1). When running an account transactions smartlist which is filtered for the RE Account and Date Range of 12/31/2008 and 01/01/2009, i am seeing the same dollar amount being repeared multiple times. Its a DEBIT entry with a "BBF" source document. The journal entry number is also the same, and this same amount repeats 12 times. If i run the same query in SQL, i get 12 records, but with different dollar amounts. Thanks, Sandeep. BBF Stands for Balance Brought Forward and from my experience it seems like a one sided Journal entr...