Restrict DB Access

Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a single SQL
Database/Server when they login to GP?

Thanks

0
jeffrkele (54)

It's unclear exactly what you want to do.

In GP, you can restrict access by user to the company databases via the User
Access window.

When you set up the ODBC DSN, you are determing which database server the
user can access through GP.

Additionally, if you happen to have multiple servers, the best way to handle
it is to have different user accounts.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"JDR" wrote:

> Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a single SQL
> Database/Server when they login to GP?
>
> Thanks

0
callen (2505)
6/20/2006 10:26:01 PM
What I'm referring to is the ODBC connections that are listed in the
dropdown on the initial login screen for "Server".
    Server:
    User ID:
    Password:

Since there will always be numerous ODBC connections enabled, if the
"Server" dropdown normally shows database1, database2, database3 ideally I'd
like the user to only see database1 so that the wrong connection isn't
accidentally used.

Does that make sense?

"Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message
> It's unclear exactly what you want to do.
>
> In GP, you can restrict access by user to the company databases via the
> User
> Access window.
>
> When you set up the ODBC DSN, you are determing which database server the
> user can access through GP.
>
> Additionally, if you happen to have multiple servers, the best way to
> handle
> it is to have different user accounts.
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP
>

> "JDR" wrote:
>
>> Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a single SQL
>> Database/Server when they login to GP?
>>
>> Thanks

0
jeffrkele (54)
6/20/2006 10:43:51 PM
It makes sense but I've never had a user have a problem with this setting. I
typically name the connection something like Great Plains Login or something
obvious. The last one used gets saved in dex.ini. Unless there's a setting in
dex.ini you can change or a customization you want to use, I would limit the
ODBC DSNs on a user's machine and go with the obvious one. Plus, it won't
take many times for the user to pick a wrong one and try to log into GP
unsuccessfully before he will hopefully stop.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"JDR" wrote:

> What I'm referring to is the ODBC connections that are listed in the
> dropdown on the initial login screen for "Server".
>     Server:
>     User ID:
>     Password:
>
> Since there will always be numerous ODBC connections enabled, if the
> "Server" dropdown normally shows database1, database2, database3 ideally I'd
> like the user to only see database1 so that the wrong connection isn't
> accidentally used.
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> "Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message
> > It's unclear exactly what you want to do.
> >
> > In GP, you can restrict access by user to the company databases via the
> > User
> > Access window.
> >
> > When you set up the ODBC DSN, you are determing which database server the
> > user can access through GP.
> >
> > Additionally, if you happen to have multiple servers, the best way to
> > handle
> > it is to have different user accounts.
> > --
> > Charles Allen, MVP
> >

> > "JDR" wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a single SQL
> >> Database/Server when they login to GP?
> >>
> >> Thanks

0
callen (2505)
6/21/2006 1:55:01 AM
What we want is to limit what the user can see. Of course we can set up
security so that the user can't access the other ODBC connections. But you
stop even the attempts or the inquiries about the other connections if they
can't see the other connections when logging into great plains. Is also
simplifies the valadation process for your software. If the connection
doesn't show up you don't have to explain how the user is secured out of each
other ODBC connection.

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> It makes sense but I've never had a user have a problem with this setting. I
> typically name the connection something like Great Plains Login or something
> obvious. The last one used gets saved in dex.ini. Unless there's a setting in
> dex.ini you can change or a customization you want to use, I would limit the
> ODBC DSNs on a user's machine and go with the obvious one. Plus, it won't
> take many times for the user to pick a wrong one and try to log into GP
> unsuccessfully before he will hopefully stop.
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP
>

> "JDR" wrote:
>
> > What I'm referring to is the ODBC connections that are listed in the
> > dropdown on the initial login screen for "Server".
> >     Server:
> >     User ID:
> >     Password:
> >
> > Since there will always be numerous ODBC connections enabled, if the
> > "Server" dropdown normally shows database1, database2, database3 ideally I'd
> > like the user to only see database1 so that the wrong connection isn't
> > accidentally used.
> >
> > Does that make sense?
> >
> > "Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message
> > > It's unclear exactly what you want to do.
> > >
> > > In GP, you can restrict access by user to the company databases via the
> > > User
> > > Access window.
> > >
> > > When you set up the ODBC DSN, you are determing which database server the
> > > user can access through GP.
> > >
> > > Additionally, if you happen to have multiple servers, the best way to
> > > handle
> > > it is to have different user accounts.
> > > --
> > > Charles Allen, MVP

Sonny-

I just wrote a tiny little modification to Dynamics GP that prevents
changing the datasource.  GP stores the last used datasource in the dex.ini
file, so what you could do is:
1- log-in using the desired datasource.  This will store the datasource in
the dex.ini file, and it will default into the Datasource (Server) field the
next time you log-in.
2- Then, install the modification.  If the Datasource name ever changes,
you'd need to edit the dex.ini file to reflect the new name.

I'll give it to you if you want it.  Contact me at:
s u p p o r t@
KlenzmanConsulting.com
(remove the spaces from "support")
Brenner
--
Check out our Shareware for Dynamics GP!
www.KlenzmanConsulting.com

"Sonny Pawchuk" wrote:

> What we want is to limit what the user can see. Of course we can set up
> security so that the user can't access the other ODBC connections. But you
> stop even the attempts or the inquiries about the other connections if they
> can't see the other connections when logging into great plains. Is also
> simplifies the valadation process for your software. If the connection
> doesn't show up you don't have to explain how the user is secured out of each
> other ODBC connection.
>
> "Charles Allen" wrote:
>
> > It makes sense but I've never had a user have a problem with this setting. I
> > typically name the connection something like Great Plains Login or something
> > obvious. The last one used gets saved in dex.ini. Unless there's a setting in
> > dex.ini you can change or a customization you want to use, I would limit the
> > ODBC DSNs on a user's machine and go with the obvious one. Plus, it won't
> > take many times for the user to pick a wrong one and try to log into GP
> > unsuccessfully before he will hopefully stop.
> > --
> > Charles Allen, MVP
> >

> > "JDR" wrote:
> >
> > > What I'm referring to is the ODBC connections that are listed in the
> > > dropdown on the initial login screen for "Server".
> > >     Server:
> > >     User ID:
> > >     Password:
> > >
> > > Since there will always be numerous ODBC connections enabled, if the
> > > "Server" dropdown normally shows database1, database2, database3 ideally I'd
> > > like the user to only see database1 so that the wrong connection isn't
> > > accidentally used.
> > >
> > > Does that make sense?
> > >
> > > "Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message

Access Subtotal in Query
I have a simple query that uses 3 fields. Location, Person and Value. When I group by location and person and sum value, I get all the results I need but I would love to see subtotals for each location. I'm using Access 2003. How do I add in the subtotals. Something like Maryland, Person 1, 5 Maryland, Person 2, 10 Maryland Subtotal, 15, - this is the line I'm trying to get New York, Person 1, 20 Do this in a report. In report design view, open the Sorting And Grouping box (View menu.) Choose the Location field, and in the lower pane of the dialog, set Group Footer to Yes. You ...

Accessing Portfolio
Using Money v.14 (2004 I think) Up until a few days ago I accessed my investment portfolio by clicking on 'Investing' then 'view my portfolio'. Now 'Investing' brings up a page of msn marketing bumf, and I can't find any route on it to my portfolio details! I just want to access my accounts. How can I bypass this marketing junk? Jonathan Gibbs ...

Access- How to log which user has modified access db?
Hi All, We have one MS Access database, which is being shared/accessed by number of users at the same moment. Few of them are admin users too who can perform update/delete/insert operations too. Now we have a requirement to log which users has perform which update operations. Is there some way, can you please advise. Thank you so much in advance, Best regards, Sunil Somani If you have User Level security enabled, you can add a column to each table and call the CurrentUser() function and add that user in the before update event of the form. Without that, you can use t...

Restricting Input
Ok, I'm on a roll here. Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell restriction that will only allow data input if another cell is "empty" or has a certain value? Kind of like an IF function, only when "true" exists, I can input any value, and when "false" exists, I must leave it blank. Thanks in advance. Randy, you can accomplish this using data validation. Select: data-validation, then input your restriction. Randy Vieira wrote: > Ok, I'm on a roll here. Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell > restriction that will ...

Restrict calendar?
We are currently looking at moving to Exchange 2003 this year. Our employers are holding off on the purchase due to the fact that there is no way to restrict certain users from even being able to see "Free/Busy" on their calendars. They want it so that a whole Active Directory OU can be set to not have any calendar access to another OU's calendar. Does anyone know if this is possible? This is huge for us so a great big Thank You in advance to those who might have suggestion. sgsundqu wrote: > We are currently looking at moving to Exchange 2003 this year. Our > employe...

Pricing restriction to price lists
Most of our customers do no wish to load all products to MS CRM. Therefore the system restriction to use price lists is too inflexible. In case of opportunities it is even not possible to enter manual prices on product level. ...

unauthorised to access page message
I just thought I would share this interesting issue with the group, I have been rolling out CRM without to many issues but then I had one laptop which refused to allow the user access to the CRM server. The error message was reported as "unauthorised to access page" error. after a lot of checking the configuration and playing with security levels etc I found by chance that the laptop had not completed a recent Windows update correctly. This was resolved by booting into safe mode, connecting to the windows update site running an outdate ( this failed as expected ) and then reb...

Access 2007 freezes with everything
Hi, We've currently upgraded our Office 2002 to Office 2007. I know that with new programs comes "bugs" and "issues" to be worked out. However, we seem to be encountering a big problem with Access 2007. When opening an existing database (created in Access 2002), Access 2007 will allow the program to open, but if you try to do anything with that database....bam! it freezes. When I say anything, I mean just that. --If it's an existing database (any), as soon as you click in a record...Access freezes. --If it's an existing database (any), and you want ...

Is this possible in Access?
I have searched and searched for the 'perfect bingo program'. I have a few, but they don't do exactly what I want.I would like to create custom pages for printing, with one or two cards on each page. B4 landscape for single cards, B4 Portrait for doubles. A total of 50 pages for singles, 25 for doubles.On each page, I want to place a 5x5 grid with the numbers 1-25 placed at random. This I will do manually, I don't need access to generate random patterns for each page.Then, I would like to load a series of pictures, saved with the file names 1.jpg-25.jpeg.On each page, based on ...

Restrictions
All of a sudden I am no longer able to click on hyperlinks embedded within email and get an error message "THIS OPERATION HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO RESTRICTION IN EFFECT ON THIS COMPUTER. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR." I haven't knowingly changed anything but some other program may have. How do I get back to normal? See if the articles at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3D310049 and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3D307818 help with this.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrator...

Unable to delete Recovery Storage Group DB
Anybody have an issue where exchange won't let you remove a RSG DB? I am getting the following error; One or more users use this mailbox store. These users must be moved to another store or be mail disabled before deleting this store. As you may know it is not possible to do this with a RSG DB. Any ideas? Also I had to install the following Hotfix since we use commas in our display name (not sure its related or not); http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883419 HELP! "Jonathan Norris" wrote: > Anybody have an issue where exchange won't let ...

Frequent Lock Ups with Access 2007
We have a networked database, split into front and back ends. It is used throughout the day usually by one or two users, but another occasional user will join in. This application was used fine in the current setup under Access 2002/2003 and brought over as-is to Access 2007. No areas of functionality are suffering and the use of the application has not changed at all except that it will slow down at times and lock up several times per day. Waiting ten minutes has brought no resolution, and the app responds snappily when it is not locking up. This database has older-style security on i...

Restrict DB Access
Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a single SQL Database/Server when they login to GP? Thanks It's unclear exactly what you want to do. In GP, you can restrict access by user to the company databases via the User Access window. When you set up the ODBC DSN, you are determing which database server the user can access through GP. Additionally, if you happen to have multiple servers, the best way to handle it is to have different user accounts. -- Charles Allen, MVP "JDR" wrote: > Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a si...

Restricting no. of recipients
Hello, We are using Exchange 5.5 server now and for some reason, we need to restrict the number of recipients that an user can send at once. I tried to find at most of configuration dialogs, but could not find it. Is it possible to enable this function in Exchange 5.5? Or is there a 3rd party tool regarding this? Appreciate it if you can find it or help me. Thanks. Richard You can set this, but it is for the maximum number of recipients in the message before distribution list expansion, so a distribution list counts as one recipient. It is much more accurate in Exchange 2000/2003....

MS Access automated e-mails Problem
I have several MS Access databases that send e-mails with Excel attachments thorugh the auotexec macro in MS Access. I am mdoing this with MS Access 97. After installing latest updates the e-mails aren't being sent and there is a mesaage asking for permissionm to send the e-mail. I need to turn thios feature off. how? ...

MFC MDI for binary db
Hi All, I created a MFC project as MDI. The main data stored in CDocument is a complex structure. This structure represent one record of a database (binary database). At present I am able to select different records from the db, one by one, and to display the content of each record in different views. For each selection, my structure, stored in CDoc, is overwrited for the selected record. What I would like to do is: to be able to open and display in views the content of 2 or more records (not only one at each time). I thought to 2 solutions: 1) To use multiple documents (of the same type) i...

restricting the drop lines to only a single series
I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series. However, the drop line option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess. Is there a way to see only what I want, i.e. the drop lines for a selected series only? z.entropic Hi Z, > I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to > only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series. However, the drop line > option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess. > > Is there a way...

Importing Data from Access -- Parameter Errors
I am attempting to import a query from access. I get to the point of view or saving query in excel and get message "Too few parameters, expected 4." There are several parameters in my query. How do I avoid this message and get my query into excel? Does your query work properly if you invoke it directly in Access? And must the user supply the values of the parameters directly, or can those values be picked up from a worksheet? I assume you're using Microsoft Query to return the data from Access. Microsoft Query is not as powerful as Access (and thus any other true relationa...

Subforms are slow on an Access Project
I converted a 2003 Access .mdb database to an Access .adp project and one of the forms took a huge performance hit. The form was bound to a table with 3000 + records and contained 6 sub-forms placed on pages in a tabl control. One of the tab pages displays data from the main table and the others display data from the child tables. When the user changes a field on the main table and moves to another field there is a 3 to 4 second delay while the status bar below displays a "Calculating" message. Presumably the Acces project is updating the data on the other sub-forms even thou...

Access Webmail problems
I have a good problem for you lot out there, this is totaly doing my nut in I am unable to get webmail to work fully When i log into it, i get to see all of the folders etc and how many unread emails and the like, but i am not able to view any emails, as the screen that normaly list the emails just has a error message saying you dont have premission to view the items i get this on most of the pc that are off the network, but the odd one it will work on without any problems i tested with a new laptop with only windows xp pro SP2 installed, and it does not work, but with some of the old...

Conversion Access 2000 to Access 2003
Remember converting from Access 97 to Access 2000. Access 2000 used a different version of Visual Basic Code. Some of your Access 97 applications did not run correctly in Access 2000 until you modified or debugged some Visual Basic Code. Will I have to debug or modify Visual Basic Code in an Access 2000 to Access 2003 conversion? Hi Berry, There's less change in the VBA department between 2000 and 2003 than between 97 and 2000 and the conversion is usually trouble-free. See http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/conversionproblems.htm and http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319400 for more...

Accessing CDocument from Generic Class
In my Document class I have a variable for the Recordset. How do I access the document object to get the recordset object from a generic class. Ex. CSupplierDoc CSupplierRS m_pSupplierRS; CSupplier From CSupplier I want to get a hold of m_pSupplierRS. William Gower wrote: > In my Document class I have a variable for the Recordset. How do I access > the document object to get the recordset object from a generic class. > > Ex. CSupplierDoc CSupplierRS m_pSupplierRS; > > CSupplier > > From CSupplier I want to ...

Access 2003
I want to use a lookup table to fill a number of boxes on a form. I have created a combo box from where I pick the initial info, and once picked the other text should be filled in. How do I go about this? Hi If they are bound controls (text boxes) use the AfterUpdate event of the combo Private Sub ComboName_AfterUpdate() Me.ControlName1 = Me.ComboName.Column(1) Me.ControlName2 = Me.ComboName.Column(2) Me.ControlName3 = Me.ComboName.Column(3) 'ect' End Sub If they are not bound to a table field you could just use = ComboName.Column(3) as the control source for the text boxes Hope ...

MS Access for Mac?
Bought my 1st Mac this week & purchased Office 2004 Pro for it. I was surprised to find that it doesn't include Access. When I asked the vendor to check, he told me that he doesn't think Access is available for Macs. Can this be true? Is there any viable alternative? TIA, Phil Sharpe "Phil Sharpe" <a@b.com> a �crit dans le message de news:%23DrsFs8IFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Bought my 1st Mac this week & purchased Office 2004 Pro for it. > > I was surprised to find that it doesn't include Access. > > When I asked the vendor...

Exchange Outlook Web Access Quirk
Am in the process of testing Exchange 2003 on our network, and so far all has gone well except for one quirk in Outlook Web Access, which I access through a VPN connection. All goes well until I try and delete an email while in Outlook Web Access, and then the email deletion hangs. The deletion finally occurs but only after an inordinate amount of time. For some reason, this only happens in IE, not in Firefox or other browsers; they work like a champ. Thought it might be a security issue, so loosened the security settings in IE, but still hangs when I delete an email. Go figure. -- E...