Restrict DB Access

Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a single SQL
Database/Server when they login to GP?

Thanks

0
jeffrkele (54)

It's unclear exactly what you want to do.

In GP, you can restrict access by user to the company databases via the User
Access window.

When you set up the ODBC DSN, you are determing which database server the
user can access through GP.

Additionally, if you happen to have multiple servers, the best way to handle
it is to have different user accounts.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"JDR" wrote:

> Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a single SQL
> Database/Server when they login to GP?
>
> Thanks

0
callen (2505)
6/20/2006 10:26:01 PM
What I'm referring to is the ODBC connections that are listed in the
dropdown on the initial login screen for "Server".
    Server:
    User ID:
    Password:

Since there will always be numerous ODBC connections enabled, if the
"Server" dropdown normally shows database1, database2, database3 ideally I'd
like the user to only see database1 so that the wrong connection isn't
accidentally used.

Does that make sense?

"Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message
> It's unclear exactly what you want to do.
>
> In GP, you can restrict access by user to the company databases via the
> User
> Access window.
>
> When you set up the ODBC DSN, you are determing which database server the
> user can access through GP.
>
> Additionally, if you happen to have multiple servers, the best way to
> handle
> it is to have different user accounts.
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP
>

> "JDR" wrote:
>
>> Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a single SQL
>> Database/Server when they login to GP?
>>
>> Thanks

0
jeffrkele (54)
6/20/2006 10:43:51 PM
It makes sense but I've never had a user have a problem with this setting. I
typically name the connection something like Great Plains Login or something
obvious. The last one used gets saved in dex.ini. Unless there's a setting in
dex.ini you can change or a customization you want to use, I would limit the
ODBC DSNs on a user's machine and go with the obvious one. Plus, it won't
take many times for the user to pick a wrong one and try to log into GP
unsuccessfully before he will hopefully stop.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"JDR" wrote:

> What I'm referring to is the ODBC connections that are listed in the
> dropdown on the initial login screen for "Server".
>     Server:
>     User ID:
>     Password:
>
> Since there will always be numerous ODBC connections enabled, if the
> "Server" dropdown normally shows database1, database2, database3 ideally I'd
> like the user to only see database1 so that the wrong connection isn't
> accidentally used.
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> "Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message
> > It's unclear exactly what you want to do.
> >
> > In GP, you can restrict access by user to the company databases via the
> > User
> > Access window.
> >
> > When you set up the ODBC DSN, you are determing which database server the
> > user can access through GP.
> >
> > Additionally, if you happen to have multiple servers, the best way to
> > handle
> > it is to have different user accounts.
> > --
> > Charles Allen, MVP
> >

> > "JDR" wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a single SQL
> >> Database/Server when they login to GP?
> >>
> >> Thanks

0
callen (2505)
6/21/2006 1:55:01 AM
What we want is to limit what the user can see. Of course we can set up
security so that the user can't access the other ODBC connections. But you
stop even the attempts or the inquiries about the other connections if they
can't see the other connections when logging into great plains. Is also
simplifies the valadation process for your software. If the connection
doesn't show up you don't have to explain how the user is secured out of each
other ODBC connection.

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> It makes sense but I've never had a user have a problem with this setting. I
> typically name the connection something like Great Plains Login or something
> obvious. The last one used gets saved in dex.ini. Unless there's a setting in
> dex.ini you can change or a customization you want to use, I would limit the
> ODBC DSNs on a user's machine and go with the obvious one. Plus, it won't
> take many times for the user to pick a wrong one and try to log into GP
> unsuccessfully before he will hopefully stop.
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP
>

> "JDR" wrote:
>
> > What I'm referring to is the ODBC connections that are listed in the
> > dropdown on the initial login screen for "Server".
> >     Server:
> >     User ID:
> >     Password:
> >
> > Since there will always be numerous ODBC connections enabled, if the
> > "Server" dropdown normally shows database1, database2, database3 ideally I'd
> > like the user to only see database1 so that the wrong connection isn't
> > accidentally used.
> >
> > Does that make sense?
> >
> > "Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message
> > > It's unclear exactly what you want to do.
> > >
> > > In GP, you can restrict access by user to the company databases via the
> > > User
> > > Access window.
> > >
> > > When you set up the ODBC DSN, you are determing which database server the
> > > user can access through GP.
> > >
> > > Additionally, if you happen to have multiple servers, the best way to
> > > handle
> > > it is to have different user accounts.
> > > --
> > > Charles Allen, MVP

Sonny-

I just wrote a tiny little modification to Dynamics GP that prevents
changing the datasource.  GP stores the last used datasource in the dex.ini
file, so what you could do is:
1- log-in using the desired datasource.  This will store the datasource in
the dex.ini file, and it will default into the Datasource (Server) field the
next time you log-in.
2- Then, install the modification.  If the Datasource name ever changes,
you'd need to edit the dex.ini file to reflect the new name.

I'll give it to you if you want it.  Contact me at:
s u p p o r t@
KlenzmanConsulting.com
(remove the spaces from "support")
Brenner
--
Check out our Shareware for Dynamics GP!
www.KlenzmanConsulting.com

"Sonny Pawchuk" wrote:

> What we want is to limit what the user can see. Of course we can set up
> security so that the user can't access the other ODBC connections. But you
> stop even the attempts or the inquiries about the other connections if they
> can't see the other connections when logging into great plains. Is also
> simplifies the valadation process for your software. If the connection
> doesn't show up you don't have to explain how the user is secured out of each
> other ODBC connection.
>
> "Charles Allen" wrote:
>
> > It makes sense but I've never had a user have a problem with this setting. I
> > typically name the connection something like Great Plains Login or something
> > obvious. The last one used gets saved in dex.ini. Unless there's a setting in
> > dex.ini you can change or a customization you want to use, I would limit the
> > ODBC DSNs on a user's machine and go with the obvious one. Plus, it won't
> > take many times for the user to pick a wrong one and try to log into GP
> > unsuccessfully before he will hopefully stop.
> > --
> > Charles Allen, MVP
> >

> > "JDR" wrote:
> >
> > > What I'm referring to is the ODBC connections that are listed in the
> > > dropdown on the initial login screen for "Server".
> > >     Server:
> > >     User ID:
> > >     Password:
> > >
> > > Since there will always be numerous ODBC connections enabled, if the
> > > "Server" dropdown normally shows database1, database2, database3 ideally I'd
> > > like the user to only see database1 so that the wrong connection isn't
> > > accidentally used.
> > >
> > > Does that make sense?
> > >
> > > "Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message

compact and repair RMS Db?
In MS Access, you can periodically compact and repair your database to clean it up and substantially decrease it's size. Is there an equivalent to this for the RMS database? Is this something that should periodically be done? We have around 13,000 items and the database is 1.2Gb. I don't know if this is normal or if it's bigger than necessary. I remember reading some posts regarding this but can't seem to find them now. thx, kamal Hit up microsoft.com and do a search for "Shrinking a Database" "Kamal Hood" <kamal@compassionatecaregivers.net> wr...

DPM2010beta: dpmbackup.exe -db does not seem to work
Hi ! Is this a know problem with the beta ? I get this when running dpmbackup.exe -db Backup failed for Server "Backupserver\MSDPMV3Beta1Eval" DPMBackup encountered an internal error. please try again ..... How can I backup the database manually ? Can I do that in SQL Server Management Studio like I would with a normal database ? Thanks, Alex Yes you can do it from the sql management studio like a normal database -- “Thanks, Nutesh Garg [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script s...

Access Violation in MSVCRDT.DLL
I have a suite of applications written in VC6 using STL and MFC. The issue is for the pass month I have been making changes to a common used DLL in the suite which caused me to recompile all the accessing applications. Now after recompiling I get ACCESS VIOLATION 0xc0000004 in MSVCRDT.DLL on exiting the application. I also noticed the it occurs when the DOCMANAGER is being deleting from memory. The other thing is when running in the debugger upon exiting the module SBHEAP.C line 238 is where the exception occurs. I think this is miss leading but I included it just in case. Any i...

Access 97 to Access 2003 DataBase conversion 08-30-07
Hi, We work in a mostly french environment. We have a standard image using MUI Microsoft products (XP and Office 2003 are MUI) Since the convertion of an ACCESS 97 BD into Access 2003, we experience a sort sequence problem when using: DoCmd.Openform or DoCmd.ApplyFilter A selection on a name like "Cot�" will return no record. Asking for "Cote" will return all records including "Cot�". I suspect a problem with MUI (multi-user interface) but I did not find any recommandation at Microsoft. Thanks. "Jacques Tr�panier" <zx_jacques@hotmail.com>...

access db carry forward balance vs. table design change?
with respect to this post. http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/31309039/updating-several-records.aspx i am working on a database to use in a small town for home water usage tracking and billing. the db is structured with a customer info table and a monthly usage and charges table. there is a relationship setup for the home address field, one to many. kinda like this.... tblCustomerInfo:..... fName lName address phone tblMonthlyReadings:.... address readMonth(Date) meterReading paymentAmount amountBilled amountPastDue lateFee credit i think what i want to do is ca...

Access 2007 RunTime 12-19-07
Where can I find the RunTime module that can be run with Access 2007 applications? Regards Not sure if this was what you were asking for, but here's where you, or anyone else, can download the Access 2007 runtime: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D9AE78D9-9DC6-4B38-9FA6-2C745A175AED&displaylang=en -- Bob Larson Access World Forums Super Moderator Utter Access VIP Tutorials at http://www.btabdevelopment.com If my post was helpful to you, please rate the post. __________________________________ "orjan" wrote: > Where can I find the RunTime mo...

Access Help Forum
Is there an Access Help Forum? Sye -- sazi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- saziz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=635 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38569 Here's a page with LOTS of MS Application links (including Access): http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx#2 Regards, Ro -- Ron Coderr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=geti...

License gives MS access to your account names, transactions, etc??
I just read the EULA on my new copy of Money 2006 and noticed a clause that reads "These features send to Microsoft information which may include, but is not limited to, account names, financial transactions, payees, budget limits and alert settings. By using these features, you consent to Microsoft’s collection of this information. Examples of these Internet-Based Services are Accounts, Bills, and Budget." WHAT???!!!! I realize that this is probably required in order to support the synchronization and web access to your account in Money and other things but it was still...

inserting table data from a Word document into an Access table
The Word 2003/2007 document(some files are in "docx" or Word 2007 and some are in "doc" Word 2003 format) has data as indicated below: ...some text on line 1 which is not needed.. ...some text on line 2 which is not needed.. ...some text on line 3 which is not needed.. Table 1 Row 1 has no columns ....some data which is not needed... Row 2/Column 1 Row 2/Column 2 ...data not needed.. ..data needed.. Row 3/Column 1 Row 3/Column 2 ...not needed.. ..data needed.. Row 4/Column 1 Row 4/Column 2 ...not needed.. ..data needed.. R...

Resizing Document Imaging view control on Access form
Does anyone have experience using the MODI (Microsoft Office Document Imaging) controls? I'm trying to create an Access form that uses the document viewer (MiDocView) control to display a TIFF image, and it works fine in most circumstances. The problem is that I would like to resize the control on the fly when the user resizes the form, so that it takes up the available space. I have done this successfully in the past with other controls, and the code I have (setting the Width and Height properties of the control based on the size of the window) works here, except for one problem: ...

multiple user accessing the same mailbox
hi all We are using MS Outlook 2003 and Critical Path email system. I have below requirement UserA is going to access MailBox1 at PC1 and at the sametime UserB is going to access MailBox1 as well but at PC2, pls advice how to achieve by allowing this two user from two different PC to reading the same email without impacting each other. Our mail server is supporting IMAP and POP3 in this case thanks for the great help imap should work fine for this scenario. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.ou...

Reverse Engineer db wizard?
I am attempting to create a ERD in Visio by linking it to an existing db (Reverse engineer) . I've looked in the help ( as below) but the second step does not exist or I cannot find it. Any assistance out there? Brian Cohen To reverse engineer an existing database 1.. Choose File > New > Database > Database Model Diagram. 2.. Choose Database > Reverse Engineer. do you have the correct version of visio (professional or enterprise architect)? Al "Brian Cohen" <bacohen8@comcast.net> wrote in message news:uMqdnWkXdd832bbfRVn-1A@comcast.com... >I a...

Access Security does not work
Hello, We are are on CRM 1.2. The security settings don't seem to work fully. For example, I have setup a security role called "Field Sales". One of the access rights is to be able to read only user's own records for accounts and quotes. The icon with only one "pie" on it. But neither seem to be working because users are able to see every account and every quote out there. But if I revoke read access fully, it seems to stop them from seeing quotes and accounts, this is in-line with the documentation. The moment I switch on the read only for user's own r...

Access form set up
Hi, I've used excel for years but I'm completely new to Access (I've done the online training modules and that's about it) and have what probably is a simple question. How do I create a from that looks like a table or a spreadsheet? So for instance it has 10 or more rows and 4 columns. I would like to hide the labels so that it looks like a spreadsheet as well. I assume it would attach a unique number to each cell like excel does A1, B1, and so on. I would think that it could do this automatically. On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:15:01 -0800, Jwil <Jwil@discuss...

GP Project accounting... Direct ODBC access
I am integrating our main Project Management product with GP PA. This involves inserting time-phased budget and forecast data into GP PA. I believe this is stored in the PA Budget Periodic Totals Master File (PA01304). My main queries are: 1) Are there any other tables that depend on this table? What other records need to be updated to maintain data consistency? 2) What other tables are PA01304 records based on? Will GP PA overwrite my data if other data is changed? I already have an ODBC application that integrates other data from our product into other tables with no probl...

Linking Jpegs in Access 2003 Forms
First of all let me say, I'm NOT a programmer. I went a bought several books on Access 2003 inorder to create simple databases forms. I've created a form for our little company which I wish to display the employee's picture on the form. When I follow the procedures in my book, all that is displayed in the name of the jpeg and not the actual picture. If I click on the name the picture is displayed in another window. I have went on the web and read so much that I'm crossed eyed. I've reinstalled MS Picture Manager like one article said and still no joy. Is there a SI...

Access 2.0 to Access 97 10-07-04
I would like to convert a db from Access 2.0 on one pc to Access 97 on another pc on my network. I'm new to access, so any input you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Hi, My name is Amy Vargo. Thank you for using the Microsoft Access Newsgroups. To convert an Access 2.0 database to 97, in Access 97 go to Tools, Convert Database on the menu bar. Select the Access 2.0 database to convert. If you have errors converting, try importing the objects instead of converting (File, Get External Data, Import). Please note that you might have code that needs to be updated or...

Access violation in CDaoQueryDef::Open or CSimpleStringT::GetLength(). VC++ 6.0 app compiled in Visual C++ .NET
Hi, I have a problem using DAO in Visual C++ .net Standard edition. We have an old project created in Visual C++ 6.0 Professional. The projects compiles, links ok (with a lot of warnings telling the DAO-classes are deprecated). The compiled program executes ok until I am about to access the database. Some accesses goes ok, but some are not. It is always the same databse accesses that the program crashes on. The database that I'm using is Access 97. I also have tried converting it to 2000 and 2002. In this function the crash occurs in daocore.cpp: void CDaoQueryDef::Open(LPCTSTR lpszName...

MFC .exe gets access violation exception in release version but not debug
Hello, thanks for trying to help. I have an MFC .exe that gets an access violation (C0000005) exception in the release version but not the debug version. So I don't know what line of code causes it. But why should they act differently in this way at all? The exception occurs when a tab on a property sheet is being clicked. The only output in the debug screen when the tab is being clicked is "Warning: skipping non-radio button in group." Would that cause it? Does tab order determine groups along with the tab stop property? What are reasons why MFC code would get an access ...

web access and office error
When someone logs into the outlook web access page (exchange 2000 server and IE) they can read mail fine. But when they try to reply or create a new message they get the following error: Please wait while Microsoft configures Microsoft Office SR-1 Professional. then they will get: The feature you are trying to use is on a CD- ROM or other removable disk that is not available. This happens on numerous machines but mostly public library machines. I assume it has something to do with the office install but why would the web page need office? she can cancel this (at least 5 times before it ...

Access to Adobe PDFs
I have looked at Stephen Lebans' really neat access to PDF thing and it looks as though I could use this in my databases, however I am not knowledgeable enough to know how to get it into one of my databases or how to change the coding to cause it to "print" one or more of my reports let alone cause the report to be saved in a specified folder. Can Anyone help me? His instructions are pretty clear. Specifically what do you need to know? Put the DLL in the same folder, or the Windows\System32\ folder, copy the code (and his form, if you like) to your database, and it will wo...

Access 2007 Special Effect Text Box Won't show Sunken with Window XP
Hi All I am just getting to grips with Access 2007 and one of the quirks I have found is that when I design using Windows in XP Windows-Classic colors and set the text boxes on forms' special effect property to "sunken" They appear as sunken in the correct manner. However, when I change to the Windows XP color scheme the forms text boxes appear flat even though the special effect property has not changed. Any ideas or is it a new quirk we have to live with. I haven't tried it with Vista yet. That should be interesting Thanks Bob "bobdydd" <reallyuseful2004...

Multiple IM db files
Hi Is there way to merge 2 IM db files into one file ? Thanks Hi Pat, Here is what you can do: 1) Open Integration Manager 2) Go to File>>Import Integrations 3) You can Browse out to the other IM.mdb, click "Open" 4) You can now highlight the Integrations and and click "Import" to combine the .mdb files. If there is another integration of the same name it will warn you and ask you to rename the one you are importing in. Hope this is helpful! Therese Rudzis Rockton Software "Pat" wrote: > Hi > > Is there way to merge 2 IM db files i...

Search box within access or third party addon to do such?
I have an access database with 6 columns. I am putting in an inventory of all of my items with their corresponding sizes and weights, etc. I will have over 2000 lines/records when I am done. What I want to do, is either create something withing Access, or find a third party add0on, that will allow me to search within the fields, and return the corresponding results here is what I have for example category style size width weight notes sample 1abc 5 2.2 2.1 sample 1add 3 2.5 2.1 for turning stock 3bbb 3 ...

How to run an access project which start from the main menu
I want my main menu screen to run first, but without any Access windows displaying in the background. Only the main menu and then it to perform what i request to do. How to make the main menu screen come first without any forms behind, not even Acess db window? Diyana, I never claim to be an Access expert, but the folks in this group have been a great help. This should be an easy fix. I have my database setup like this. On the menu bar when your database is open, select "Tools", "Startup". When the window opens, on the top right, there is a combo box "Display ...