Researching payments

Hello there, we have times when we will receive payments that state they are
for more than the original invoice.  Example:

1,100 payment
Invoice A - 250      Remittance says apply 250
Invoice B - 250      Remittance says apply 250
Invoice C - 250      Remittance says apply 250
Invoice D - 250      Remittance says apply 350

The 100 stays open until it is being historically researched or the customer
calls.  The problem is, by the time the research is needed, we have lost
track of the fact that it was invoice D that the customer attempted to
overpay.  Since GP prevents you from over-applying an invoice, does anyone
have a reccomendation on how to speed the research?  If there were four
invoices, it wouldn't be that big of an issue, but in actuality it is more
like 40+...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Jason
0
wuwei26 (45)

Jason,

Since GP won't let you overpay an invoice in this way, the only thing I can
think of without looking at a customization is attaching a note to the
payment transaction in which the invoices that were overpaid and any other
pertinent information is listed.  The person researching this would then
need to pull up the payment transaction in GP, which they would probably be
doing anyway, and then they would be able to see (and, if needed, modify)
this note.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"wuwei26" <wuwei26@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello there, we have times when we will receive payments that state they
> are
> for more than the original invoice.  Example:
>
> 1,100 payment
> Invoice A - 250      Remittance says apply 250
> Invoice B - 250      Remittance says apply 250
> Invoice C - 250      Remittance says apply 250
> Invoice D - 250      Remittance says apply 350
>
> The 100 stays open until it is being historically researched or the
> customer
> calls.  The problem is, by the time the research is needed, we have lost
> track of the fact that it was invoice D that the customer attempted to
> overpay.  Since GP prevents you from over-applying an invoice, does anyone
> have a reccomendation on how to speed the research?  If there were four
> invoices, it wouldn't be that big of an issue, but in actuality it is more
> like 40+...
>
> Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
>
> Jason

0
victoria (3340)
3/30/2007 8:10:54 PM
I agree completely with Victoria.  I recommend this to all my clients and it
works for them.  Make sure to use the Record Note attached to the Payment
Number in the Cash Receipt to record the notes.

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

For help learning and better using Dynamics GP,... check out our books at
http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Jason,
>
> Since GP won't let you overpay an invoice in this way, the only thing I can
> think of without looking at a customization is attaching a note to the
> payment transaction in which the invoices that were overpaid and any other
> pertinent information is listed.  The person researching this would then
> need to pull up the payment transaction in GP, which they would probably be
> doing anyway, and then they would be able to see (and, if needed, modify)
> this note.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Flexible Solutions, Inc.
>

> "wuwei26" <wuwei26@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello there, we have times when we will receive payments that state they
> > are
> > for more than the original invoice.  Example:
> >
> > 1,100 payment
> > Invoice A - 250      Remittance says apply 250
> > Invoice B - 250      Remittance says apply 250
> > Invoice C - 250      Remittance says apply 250
> > Invoice D - 250      Remittance says apply 350
> >
> > The 100 stays open until it is being historically researched or the
> > customer
> > calls.  The problem is, by the time the research is needed, we have lost
> > track of the fact that it was invoice D that the customer attempted to
> > overpay.  Since GP prevents you from over-applying an invoice, does anyone
> > have a reccomendation on how to speed the research?  If there were four
> > invoices, it wouldn't be that big of an issue, but in actuality it is more
> > like 40+...
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
> >
> > Jason

0
info4071 (3004)

Trasfers and Credit Card Payments
I currently download all transactions from my bank and do not manually enter trasactions. However, I have to manually classify transactions. I have a chequing, VISA and line of credit account. I transfer money from the chequing into various accounts (and sometimes money from the line of credit into other accounts). How should I classify these transactions? When I used the transfer classification it started to incorrectly adjust account balances. Is there a tutorial or FAQ on using Money or recommended books? When you say "classify" these transactions, I assume you mean &qu...

Removing a Payment from the Reconcile to GL Spreadsheet
Hello: There is a payment that, oddly enough, is in receivables history according to inquiry windows but is not applied to any invoices. Evidently, either the client at one time had previously removed transaction history or a glitch occurred on the network that caused this. The payment is not showing on the Receivables Historical Aged Trial Balance or on the General Ledger Detailed Trial Balance. It is showing, however, on the Reconcile to GL spreadsheet that is available in GP 10.0 in the Financial Routines section. We would like to get this "hung up" payment ...

Scheduled Payments Posting Date
Hi, Is it possible to change the posting date on the RM Scheduled Payments? The user should be able to change the date when posting the individual schedules. Currently that is not possible. Thanks, Sandeep. ...

Researching Standard Cost Reval JE's
I am looking for a way to identify what part numbers were affected by any given standard cost revaluation journal entry. The only way I have found to research these after the fact is to run an Item Standard Cost Changes History report for the date of the journal entry and try to match the dollar value of the net change to the journal entry by multiplying quantity on hand for that date. Does anyone have a better way? -- Jessica Comus Airaid Filter Company ...

Automatic loan payment
Hi. I'm using Money 2003. I have a student loan that I have set-up automatic payment for - every month $$$ is taken from my checking account. I want to create a recurring withdrawl in Money to reflect that transation, but this seems to be impossible in Money 2003. There is no apparent way to make and automatic withdrawl/payment from a checking account to loan balance account. Is that right? A shortcoming of Money 2003, or am I missing somthing? Thanks. Michael I think the latter. Assuming you have the loan account already setup in Money, try scheduling bill that is a Loan...

research articles database
Hello, I'm not so great with access and am looking for a template for a database that i can keep track of my research articles library. With search strings and various locations for the articles, be they electronic versions, hard copies etc. Can anyone help? Please do not post the same question to multiple groups. Crosspost if you must, but posting the same question again and again serves only to fragment discussion or cause regulars to ignore your question. ...

Research Tool
How do I add Brittannica Online to research services? A tutorial http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC010740391033 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Chadbourne" <Chadbourne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5816422E-8E2D-4B19-8D72-AD02321664CE@microsoft.com... > How do I add Brittannica Online to research services? ...

AR Payment Discounts
We allow our customers term discounts on the AR Invoices that we are entering into SOP. The invoices have many items on them. However, the customers only get a discount on certain items and not all of them. Is there a way to set an item so that it does or doesn't not factor into the Discount Terms calculation (GP 10)? It is a percent Discount. Also can there be multiple % discounts based on the payment? <5 days 5%, <10 days 4% Jason I found an earlier post with some ideas on how to do the tiered discounts: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.greatplains/brow= se_t...

Void EFT Payable payment
Unfortunately, if you void a transaction it doesn’t automatically remove it from the Generate EFT file. If you look at the document before voiding you will see the payment listed as voided but the Generate EFT generates the payment any way. I would like the Generate process to remove any voids from the system from the transmission. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to...

payment frequency
is there a way to add a payment frequency to the default list in the receivables scheduled payments entry...the current list includes semi-monthly, monthly, semi-annual and annual...i would like to add daily and weekly to that list...is it possible? i would really appreciate all the help guys... -- iandale ...

in ms excel 2003 research tool thomson gale is not found why?
i recently downloaded office 2003 60 days trial version.And its key no is VQR7Q-4PYP9-46WPQ-K7KPF-86KXM.in excel i opened tools menu, in that research ..after opening research i am unable to see "THOMSON GALE" RESEARCH TOOL.. I have downloaded office SP2 and installed. but all in vein.then i contacted microsoft tele support.but they said they wont give support for trial version. pls suggerst me to overcome this problem. Thank you Arul Raj. Why do you think that you should see "Thomson Gale" Research Tool on the Excel Tools menu? Thomson Gale is part of The Thomso...

College research project
Hi All! I'm conducting a survey for my college research project and need responses. It's for MS office users and I need as much of a response as possible. Under the name question, just put your first name and your last initial. I just need it as a separate identifier. if you have a handle that you use in the newsgroup, feel free to use that, too. There is no personal information asked for. Here's the link: http://www.summitcadd.com/ms_word_survey.htm Thanks, John From: "John" <jprovetto@earthlink.net> | Hi All! | | I'm conducting a survey for my co...

M2004 how can I see what payments were applied to an invoice?
I have M2004 Small Biz edition. I have had this nagging question for some time so I thought I'd post it and see if anyone has an idea: How can I see WHAT payments were applied to a particular invoice. Example, I have invoice #1234 entered for $1000. Later, I deposit 2 checks, one for $250 and another for $750. For each transaction, I categorize it as "PAYMENT FOR INVOICE" which triggers Money's "wizard" for receiving payments. After entering these, the invoice list shows this invoice as "PAID". Great. Now some months later, the customer call...

? Customer Payment Terms
We are using SBM release 6.2. Is there a way to establish customer terms that are 30% ETD / 70% 60 days? We want to be able to enter, for example, one invoice for $10,000 and then have it age as $3,000 due upon receipt and $7,000 due in 60 days. Thanks for your help! ...

Research Options
Hi Running Publisher 2003. When i go to Research, i only have the options for All Reference Books, and not All Research Sites. Can anyone advise me how to get the Research sites listed thanks A Easiest way to get your information is to open help and type research in the address bar. The third entry specifically. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Alexey" <alexey@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23ekD6XrUIHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi > Running Publisher 2003. When i go to Resear...

>>>RMS Customer Chat Today 10:00am PST: Payment Processing<<<
TODAY!!! Customer Live Chat topic: Payment Processing Sign-up: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/chats/default.mspx Having issues with payment processing or have questions about integration and set-up? Chat with Microsoft Dynamics RMS payment processing feature experts to help you set-up and trouble shoot payment processing issues. View related articles: http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/rms/using/articles/paymentprocessing.mspx http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/rms/using/articles/paymentprocessingfaq.mspx -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confe...

Payments not updating Customers Account
Hi All, I made number of account payments at POS. Some have arrived on customers account and others have not. I can see the journal entries for the transaction but the account shows no payment made. Any suggestions. Deck Hi Deck I have the same problem, although I can only see that it is affecting one account at the moment but two payments? I haven't had a resolve yet, If you get one will you let me know? -- Jenny "Deck" wrote: > Hi All, > > I made number of account payments at POS. Some have arrived on customers > account and others have not. I can se...

Loan Payment Number
Awhile back, my bank stopped assigning a check number for my epay loan payment. Instead the transaction Num is "epay". it causes a problem in my loan account where it stops using the correct payment number...it now uses 21 every month. When I try o manually change it, I get slammed with an error: You cannot change this transaction into an electronic payment or transfer because the date is not within an acceptable range and cannot be changed. I don't know why I am not allowed to cahnge a payment number and what purpose this error restriction serves. How can I resolve this b...

research bar
We are using Hyperion Essbase and when we altdouble click to retrieve further data the research tool bar comes up on the right hand side. I cannot find a way to turn this off. It is not needed. I have managed to turn off the Getting started toolbar that used to pop up but this one continues to drive me crazy!!! Can anyone who has knowledge of Hyperion Essbase please help me. Sincerely ...

Recording bimonthly mortgage payments in MS Money
I have my mortgage deducted twice a month (bimonthly) and then I pay an additional payment each year. How would this be recorded in Money so it works in the budget tool? I'm currently transfering it to an asset and deducting the payments from that account but the budget can intrepret it for my ledger. Any help? -- Thank you! ...

eConnect Cash Payments
If I try to create a cash payment and apply it in the same XML doc (taRMCashReceiptInsert, taRMApply) , it fails. I can only get it to work by submitting the appy doc separately. Is each stored procedure called with a separate SQL connection? How can I force the cash receipt to be created first? -- jarn ...

How do you match invoice payments
Hi, I am trying to match my invoice payments to the downloaded deposits and 'invoice payment' category is not in the list of transactions eligible for matching. What is the best way to match my invoice payment to the downloaded statement? The only way I know of is to delete downloaded deposit and leave the invoice payment in my register to avoid double counting. Thanks ...

Need to void a payment in Receivables
The payment was posted in a batch, the batch date was part of the current finacial period, but the document date (by mistake) was out of the financial period (2032), now I cant void the payment because a financial period needs to be set up for the void date, and if a change the void date to fall into the current financial period, I get a message saying that the void date cant be before the document date. Please help!! ...

Mortgage and bill payment
Ok i got the Mortgage setup 5 months ago but my payment changed. So i setup the amount in the Loan setting but i can not get my bill Summary to reflect the new changes. help please Edit the series in the bill summary. The wizard for updating the loan should have asked it you wanted to update the scheduled bill. You are using Advanced Bills, right??? "duskycub" <duskycub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B677BA27-C6C5-430C-B11F-76D5E4317BF3@microsoft.com... > Ok i got the Mortgage setup 5 months ago but my payment changed. So i > setup > the amoun...

E-Mail Archiving
I am an industry analyst with CMS Watch (www.cmswatch.com) and am currently researching and authoring a long evaluation report on email archiving solutions. This is due for publication in spring of 08 - and I am looking to interview people in both business and IT who have implemented an archive solution or are in the process of evaluating such a system. I am looking particularly at Exchange and Notes. CMS Watch relies on end users for much of its research - we are truly independent of vendors (no consulting to, white paper writing, flights or accomodation payments for event attendance etc)...