quickly give GP users access to mod screens / reports

Hi there,

Is there a method to quickly give users that have access to specific screens
/ reports, only access to the mod versions of all those resources?

An article in Knowledge Base describes this - see Q20
https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?WTNTZSMNWUKNTMMYKKQRRUZVRPSSXNSNWTQZRSXSPOKVWULOKZNVQSQLKPXQXQTZ

However the solution described here is very cumbersome, and requires that
you first investigate which specfic users have access to which specific
resources.
For instance, one client has 100+ users at 10+ companies, with 200+ mod's.
To give all users access to mod's for their specific profile is very
time-consuming.

Thanks
0
Andrec (27)

Hi Andrec

I am not sure why you believe this to be cumbersome.  To give access (once
you have change the grant checkboxes in Advanced Security Options), you just
need to select the appropriate users, remove access and grant it back.

You can just set up a single user and copy it. Or you can use classes to
roll settings across multiple users and companies.

As long as you have the accelerator active, you should be able to remove and
grant access to all customisations with a single click on the checkbox at the
top of the tree.

The only issue is that if there is more than one alternate resources for a
form or report, Advanced Security will select the original window as it does
not know which alternate to use.

Here is a shorter link to the KB article.

https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;894705

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Original Developer of Advanced Security
Senior Development Consultant
Escalation Engineer - Great Plains

http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics

and confers no rights.

"Andrec" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Is there a method to quickly give users that have access to specific screens
> / reports, only access to the mod versions of all those resources?
>
> An article in Knowledge Base describes this - see Q20:
> https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?WTNTZSMNWUKNTMMYKKQRRUZVRPSSXNSNWTQZRSXSPOKVWULOKZNVQSQLKPXQXQTZ
>
> However the solution described here is very cumbersome, and requires that
> you first investigate which specfic users have access to which specific
> resources.
> For instance, one client has 100+ users at 10+ companies, with 200+ mod's.
> To give all users access to mod's for their specific profile is very
> time-consuming.
>
> Thanks
0
dmusgrav1 (1325)
7/2/2007 4:12:04 AM
Hi David,

I see you have some extensive experience with Adv Security - thanks for your
feedbk.
The problem seems that if 100 users all have access to different
combinations of 200 mod's, then simply granting access to all mod's for all
users ignores their current profiles?

Thanks

"David Musgrave [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Andrec
>
> I am not sure why you believe this to be cumbersome.  To give access (once
> you have change the grant checkboxes in Advanced Security Options), you just
> need to select the appropriate users, remove access and grant it back.
>
> You can just set up a single user and copy it. Or you can use classes to
> roll settings across multiple users and companies.
>
> As long as you have the accelerator active, you should be able to remove and
> grant access to all customisations with a single click on the checkbox at the
> top of the tree.
>
> The only issue is that if there is more than one alternate resources for a
> form or report, Advanced Security will select the original window as it does
> not know which alternate to use.
>
> Here is a shorter link to the KB article.
>
> https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;894705
>
> David Musgrave [MSFT]
> Original Developer of Advanced Security
> Senior Development Consultant
> Escalation Engineer - Great Plains
> Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific
>
> Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)
> http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics
>
> mailto:David.Musgrave@online.microsoft.com
>
> Any views contained within are my personal views and
> not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> and confers no rights.
>

> "Andrec" wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Is there a method to quickly give users that have access to specific screens
> > / reports, only access to the mod versions of all those resources?
> >
> > An article in Knowledge Base describes this - see Q20:
> > https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?WTNTZSMNWUKNTMMYKKQRRUZVRPSSXNSNWTQZRSXSPOKVWULOKZNVQSQLKPXQXQTZ
> >
> > However the solution described here is very cumbersome, and requires that
> > you first investigate which specfic users have access to which specific
> > resources.
> > For instance, one client has 100+ users at 10+ companies, with 200+ mod's.
> > To give all users access to mod's for their specific profile is very
> > time-consuming.
> >
> > Thanks
0
Andrec (27)
7/2/2007 12:12:02 PM
Andrec

You can use classes or multi-selecting groups of users who need the same
settings to set each combination.

Using the View by alternate, modifier and custom view at least gives you a
simplified view into just the customisations.  I believe that this view and
the ability to multi-select users and classes and the ability to use the tree
hierarchy gives us a much more powerful and user friendly interface than what
the standard security window could offer.

David

PS: I was the original developer of Advanced Security and Field Level
Security.

David Musgrave [MSFT]

"Andrec" wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I see you have some extensive experience with Adv Security - thanks for your
> feedbk.
> The problem seems that if 100 users all have access to different
> combinations of 200 mod's, then simply granting access to all mod's for all
> users ignores their current profiles?
>
> Thanks
>
> "David Musgrave [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Hi Andrec
> >
> > I am not sure why you believe this to be cumbersome.  To give access (once
> > you have change the grant checkboxes in Advanced Security Options), you just
> > need to select the appropriate users, remove access and grant it back.
> >
> > You can just set up a single user and copy it. Or you can use classes to
> > roll settings across multiple users and companies.
> >
> > As long as you have the accelerator active, you should be able to remove and
> > grant access to all customisations with a single click on the checkbox at the
> > top of the tree.
> >
> > The only issue is that if there is more than one alternate resources for a
> > form or report, Advanced Security will select the original window as it does
> > not know which alternate to use.
> >
> > Here is a shorter link to the KB article.
> >
> > https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;894705
> >
> > David Musgrave [MSFT]
> > Original Developer of Advanced Security
> > Senior Development Consultant
> > Escalation Engineer - Great Plains
> > Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific
> >
> > Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)
> > http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics
> >
> > mailto:David.Musgrave@online.microsoft.com
> >
> > Any views contained within are my personal views and
> > not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
> > and confers no rights.
> >

> > "Andrec" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > Is there a method to quickly give users that have access to specific screens
> > > / reports, only access to the mod versions of all those resources?
> > >
> > > An article in Knowledge Base describes this - see Q20:
> > > https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?WTNTZSMNWUKNTMMYKKQRRUZVRPSSXNSNWTQZRSXSPOKVWULOKZNVQSQLKPXQXQTZ
> > >
> > > However the solution described here is very cumbersome, and requires that
> > > you first investigate which specfic users have access to which specific
> > > resources.
> > > For instance, one client has 100+ users at 10+ companies, with 200+ mod's.
> > > To give all users access to mod's for their specific profile is very
> > > time-consuming.
> > >
> > > Thanks
0
dmusgrav1 (1325)

Copying certain column information quickly
As you know in Excel you could quickly copy the information you needed with a drag of the mouse. Because I need information copied repeatedly and easily for my access unfirmiliar co workers. Example JOB CUSTOMER QUOTE # A B1 110701 A(copied) A2 110701 (copied) A(copied) C4 110701 (copied) How do I do this quickly and efficiently for the computer challenged. Sorry, Access is a database, not a spreadsheet, and can't be used like one. You can write some code to select the rows that you want to ...

Quick help with excel formula
Ok, i need a forumla. this is what I want, i have two columns like this Time Start: ............. Time Finish: ............ I fill out these two columns like this Time Start: ...17:42... Time Finish: ...18:25.. Now i have another Column that says Training Length: ........ I want this to work out the time between 17:42 and 18:25 Any one help pleas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi simply =A2-A1 and format as time If your training time can span midnight use the formula =A2-A1+(A2<A1) >-----Original Message----- >Ok, i need a forumla. > >this is what ...

General OE User Caveats
General OE User Caveats: - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local folders created for this purpose. - Empty Deleted Items folder daily. - Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm - Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting is taking place. - Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause corruption (i.e., lo...

Outlook Mobile Access #4
I'm trying to get a Dell Axim X30 pocket PC running Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition to synch with our Exchange Server. We have a secure Wireless G Network in our office, and I'd like my users to be able to synch with their exchange mailbox on-site, and also at wireless hotspots around town (cafes, bookstores, etc). My wireless connection on my X30 is working fine (I can browse the internet), but I can't synch to exchange. When I try, I get the error message Internet_55. I have exported and installed to the X30 the digital certificate from our SBS 2003 server, but am still ge...

Excel Data Connections to Access Queries: Limits?
I have an Access 2007 database with data connections to: + Sharepoint Lists + SMS SQL tables/views I've written Access queries that use tables from those data connections. I want to use Excel to connect to those queries in the Access database to run various reports (such as charts, lists, etc...) However, I'm having 2 problems: 1) In Excel, when I go to Data / Get External Data / From Access, I cannot see all of the queries listed in the Access Database. 2) The queries I do see only return a small subset of records. (I've tested the query within Access, and I should get 17...

E-Mailing a report that corresponds with the record from form
Hello, I have a command button on a form that e-mails a report as an attachment. It's currently showing all records. How do I select only the record currently showing on the form? My report's source is the table, not a query. Thank you so much! Laurie Here is my code: Private Sub E_Mail_Case_Click() If Me.Dirty Then 'Save any edits. Me.Dirty = False End If On Error GoTo Err_E_Mail_Report_Click Dim stDocName As String stDocName = "Inquiry Report" DoCmd.SendObject acReport, stDocName Exit_E_Mail_Report_Click: Exit Sub Err_E_Mail_Report_Click: M...

how to get the GetNextSopNumber for the inserted Record From Gp
How to Get The GetNextSopNumber from the data which is inserted in gp.so that that can be added in the front office database. KB860436 has a VB script to get the next available JE number. You can probably modify that to do the same thing for a SOP transaction number. -- Jim@TurboChef "pramod" wrote: > How to Get The GetNextSopNumber from the data which is inserted in gp.so that > that can be added in the front office database. > ...

EMailing Reports From Access 06-19-07
I know this may have been asked, but after looking on the Internet, I need some clarification...Can reports be emailed from Access? The environment that I have is as follows...WinXP SP2, Outlook 2002, 2003 or 2007, all with SP's applied. I would be using Leban's method of exporting the reports to PDF format. From what I've read, it's a security risk. I understand that, but I've also seen some other things that suggest that maybe it can be done via VBA. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jeff G It's a security risk only because Outlook (and other e-mai...

GP Manufacturing Users
Hello All. I am looking GP Manufacturing Users. I want to find out information about your usage of GP, and how your implementation went. Good, Bad, or indifferent. Thanks for your help. MBS employees need not reply. Legitimate CUSTOMERS only! thanks. Kevin yes we use GP Mftg down here in lonely Australia - we are one of the 1st anything Mftg company to go live with it and we know the only process food manrfaucturer to have implemented successfully. I am on annual leave from friday until the 16th Feb - happy to answer ure questions tho... :)) Theo >>> Kevin Butler<kevin...

Powerpoint slideshow in assigned screen location..
I need to show powerpoint slideshows inside my VC++/MFC window. I tried implementing VB code given in http://skp.mvps.org/vb/pptvbwnd.htm in VC++, however, even though i set ShowType to '1' (ppshowTypeSpeaker), a slideshow in full screen is being opened when i call SlideshowSettings.Run(). Its not allowed by my client. Iam using Office 2007. Is it is possible with powerpoint viewe?. Is there any way to show slideshow in assigned location on our own window using PowerPoint Viewer?? Since new powerpoint viewers don't support automation, i tried using CreateProcess() AP...

Quick Question
I have been using Office 2007 and OneNote for some time now and have recently set up the 2010 Beta on a second system. In the 2007 version there was a way to repair office if things went flaqky. How do I do that in Office 2010? Michael On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 23:59:26 +0000 (UTC), Rev. Michael L. Burns <sdbpastor@charter.bet> wrote: > >I have been using Office 2007 and OneNote for some time now and have recently >set up the 2010 Beta on a second system. In the 2007 version there was a >way to repair office if things went flaqky. How do I do that in Office 2...

Yesterdays date in Activities screen
Hi Wondering if someone can help. In the activities view in either outlook or via the web client it always defaults to yesterdays date. I have checked the dates, timezones and regional settings on the workstations and the server but can't see any problems there. Any ideas? ilr have you checked the timezones in the CRM settings for each user? "ilr" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A672296-0BF8-4CF5-B107-4B897D5E93E6@microsoft.com... > Hi > > Wondering if someone can help. > > In the activities view in either outlook or v...

User access/security for command buttons
Hi, Hope someone can assist me with this problem.I have varios command buttons setup on my form. What I would like to do eventually give rights to certain people who can access the information behind the command buttons.Is this Possible.Thanks On Sep 28, 9:06 pm, benonibriggs1...@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > Hope someone can assist me with this problem.I have varios command > buttons setup on my form. What I would like to do eventually give > rights to certain people who can access the information behind the > command buttons.Is this Possible.Thanks There may be a toolkit...

Re: vlookup I give up
When I offered help, I had forgotten that you are the guy who is really milking the list by not even bothering to try to determine the answer yourself or doing any trial and error. All you do is ask many times in many groups until you get someone to do your work for you. It seems to me that you would be happier if you KNEW how to do something for yourself. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Don Guillett" <dguillett1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:... > If desired, send your file to my address below. I will onl...

Opinion about e-Expense Reports and Integration with GP and Bus Po
Does Microsoft have a e-expense report product and have any one implemented it? Or Have any of you implemented the third party package and how did it tie in with GP? Thanks in advance. -- Chetan Tanna Sr. Manager Of IT ...

Reports for an external data source
Hi Guys, can i have a report shown in MSCRM that fetches data from an external database and not from the CRM database? I tried giving a link to another SQL reporting services report URL (a report for some other external DB), but that did not work. Is there a way that i can embed that report into MSCRM? try add this report through srs manager rather than through crm. ie go to http://yourcrmwebserver/reports and try upload there ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Jij" <Jij@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Outlook 2003 Cannot Open Other User's Folder
I am trying to open a folder that the person has rights to and opened fine in 2003. But since she has switched computers and the new one has Outlook 2003, she cannot open the other users folder. It is unhidden in Exchange server so it is visible to all users using Outlook 2002 but any users using Outlook 2003 cannot see it. I normally hide it from everyone because it is for our conference room scheduling and only certain people can see and use it. But now the person with rights to it cannot see it using Outlook 2003. Any ideas why and how I should fix this? is she using the folde...

Is there a quick way to...
highlighting only the odd or even numbered rows? Thanks. Something like this should do: Sub banding() ActiveSheet.Range("A65536").Select Selection.End(xlUp).Select lastrow = ActiveCell.Row Range("A6:AK" & lastrow).Select Selection.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone 'Change rownum to the the first row number where data occurs rownum = 6 For i = 1 To (lastrow - rownum) Step 2 Range("B" & rownum + i & ":AK" & rownum + i).Select With Selection.Interior .ColorIndex = 15 .Pattern = xlSolid End With ...

Quick campaign- change to all quick campaigns
Does any one know how to set the following to default. In the quick campaign view, change 'my quick campaigns' to 'all quick campaigns' Cheers Sid ...

"Coult not find specified object" and "Path-File access error" messages
I am starting to see "Run Time Error 75 - Could not find specified object" and I believe it is related to the modeless Userform that I am using. Here are my modeless userform definitions: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Private Declare Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowA" ( _ ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Long Private Declare Function SetWindowLongA Lib "user32" _ (ByVal hWnd As Long, _ ...

I give up-- I need help Pleeeezze? Anybody up to a little challange?
I recieve data every few weeks (about 65 files, each having up to 7000 or so) that I need to evaluate. I want to work in Excel., but the data comes in a PDF format. I can not recieve data in anything but PDF (too simple, I know) The fields are fixed len, except the description field (second to last feild) Each record wraps around 2 or three lines I need to get each field into it's own cell. I probably could get it IF I can figure out how to get each record into it's own row.... I have tried to save to TEXT from adobe. then opened it up under word and tried to seperate at the re...

Addressbook Access
is there an easy way to allow an excel macro to access the outlook address book and automatically send email without messages about programs accessing your address book coming up. Is it possible to totally disable the notify when another program trys to access your address book feature without exchange server There's the ClickYes utility http://www.express-soft.com/mailmate/clickyes.html "Mike Molloy" <mike@coenholdings.ie> wrote in message news:053401c35ff1$de9aa660$a601280a@phx.gbl... > is there an easy way to allow an excel macro to access > the outlook addre...

Quick Part
When i add a new custom field E.g {DOCPROPERTY "Transaction Comments" }to my document (Type: Text) there is a restriction to 255 characters. Is there any way to increase this? Or is this a M/S word restriction that cannot be changed? Catherine wrote: > When i add a new custom field E.g {DOCPROPERTY "Transaction > Comments" }to my document (Type: Text) there is a restriction to 255 > characters. > Is there any way to increase this? Or is this a M/S word restriction > that cannot be changed? It is a restriction that can't be changed. I d...

Access Runtime 2000 prevents office updates
Hi, I have a strange problem that's been bothering me for a long time. I've finally gotten it narrowed down, but can't find anything else about this on the web. I'm using an application that uses Access Runtime 2000 (developed by someone else.) After I install this application, I can no longer use Office Updates. It'll get to about the 88% mark, then gives me the "Office update is unable to check for updates" screen. If I use "add/remove programs" and remove the Runtime 2000 environment, the updater works just fine. Any thoughts on how I can fix the en...

microsoft office has not been installed for the current user
i'm getting the following message when i try to open any program within office 2007. " microsoft office has not been installed for the current user" windows 7 operating system ...