I'm getting ready to install a Service pack for GP7.5 and my ultimate goal
is to get ready to upgrade to GP8.0.  However right now upgrades are very
tedious and below is the whole story.

All the users/clients are identical!

Let me describe what we have done in the past to upgrade and what I want in
the future.

In the past we sat down at each client machine performed the install.  Then
we logged in as an administrator (Ethoseries required this I think) so the
product can finish loading what it needs.  Again we do both steps on every
client.

In the future what I would like to do is install the upgrade on one client
then log in as administrator and let the client update itself accordingly.
Next I would like to copy all the files off that client to all the other
clients and not actually have to log in as an admistrator at each client.

As I think about this any configuration that is accomplished by the
administrator log in is done in one of two places. 1 the DB and 2 the local
file system.  Second any configuration done in the DB only needs to be done
once and any thing done on the local filesystem I should be able to copy
from one system to the other.  The problems would come in if there are new
registry settings or something like that.

Again thanks for all the help so far.  I am kind-of a newbie to Great Plains
in general.

Thanks,
Allen

"James" <hushdontspamme@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> As mentioned in my last email ( your previous post) you need to find out
> if the GP users using the same mod Forms and Reports.dic files, VBA etc...
> if not,  this will complicate the upgrade roll out.  Reply to this post if
> users are or are not using the same mod forms and reports.
>
> Regards
>
> James
>
> "Charles Allen" <callen@bkd.com> wrote in message
>> You are correct that each workstation must be updated separately.
>>
>> I'm not positive that Administrator access is required, unless the
>> third-party applications require it.
>>
>> If the workstations have the same products installed, you should be able
>> to copy the contents of one workstation to another. However, you will
>> have to update the workstation id if you are using Named Printers.
>>
>> "Allen" <atuggle@pulaskifurniture.com> wrote in message
>>>I have Great Plains client installed on approx 80-100 machines and need
>>>to do an upgrade what are my options.
>>>
>>> I am getting ready to upgrade Great Plains to a new Service pack 7.5 sp4
>>> and I'm going to upgrade severl 3rd party products also.
>>>
>>> The client install was installed to the local "C:\Great Plains\"
>>> directory
>>>
>>> Based on my current limited knowledge of Great Plains I will have to
>>> install the new files on each machine and then log in as an
>>> administrator from each machine!  Is this correct?
>>>
>>> Is it possible for me to upgrade one machine (and log in as
>>> administrator) then copy all the files out of its "C:\Great Plains\"
>>> folder to all the other machines folders with out having to log in as
>>> administrator from each machine?
>>>
>>> Any idea's would be great appreciated.  Also I'm open to all idea's
>>> except the Terminal server rout.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Allen Tuggle
>>> Sr. Programmer
>>> Pulaski Furniture
>>> Ph 540.994.5362
>>> atuggle (at) pulaskifurniture.com

0
atuggle (28)

Allen

It is possible to copy the updated dictionary files and DYNAMICS.SET between
machines without doing a full install.

I actually recommend having all dictionaries local and using a central
update area to synchronise all workstations.  You can use xcopy in the
network login script to only copy changed files.  This is a great way to
implement changes to customisations or roll out service packs.

Let me know if you want more info.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Senior Development Consultant
MBS Services - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Business Solutions

mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com

and confers no rights.

"Allen" wrote:

> I'm getting ready to install a Service pack for GP7.5 and my ultimate goal
> is to get ready to upgrade to GP8.0.  However right now upgrades are very
> tedious and below is the whole story.
>

> All the users/clients are identical!
>
> Let me describe what we have done in the past to upgrade and what I want in
> the future.
>
> In the past we sat down at each client machine performed the install.  Then
> we logged in as an administrator (Ethoseries required this I think) so the
> product can finish loading what it needs.  Again we do both steps on every
> client.
>
> In the future what I would like to do is install the upgrade on one client
> then log in as administrator and let the client update itself accordingly.
> Next I would like to copy all the files off that client to all the other
> clients and not actually have to log in as an admistrator at each client.
>
> As I think about this any configuration that is accomplished by the
> administrator log in is done in one of two places. 1 the DB and 2 the local
> file system.  Second any configuration done in the DB only needs to be done
> once and any thing done on the local filesystem I should be able to copy
> from one system to the other.  The problems would come in if there are new
> registry settings or something like that.
>
> Again thanks for all the help so far.  I am kind-of a newbie to Great Plains
> in general.
>
> Thanks,
> Allen
>

> "James" <hushdontspamme@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > As mentioned in my last email ( your previous post) you need to find out
> > if the GP users using the same mod Forms and Reports.dic files, VBA etc...
> > if not,  this will complicate the upgrade roll out.  Reply to this post if
> > users are or are not using the same mod forms and reports.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > James
> >
> > "Charles Allen" <callen@bkd.com> wrote in message
> >> You are correct that each workstation must be updated separately.
> >>
> >> I'm not positive that Administrator access is required, unless the
> >> third-party applications require it.
> >>
> >> If the workstations have the same products installed, you should be able
> >> to copy the contents of one workstation to another. However, you will
> >> have to update the workstation id if you are using Named Printers.
> >>
> >> "Allen" <atuggle@pulaskifurniture.com> wrote in message

0
dmusgrav1 (1325)

Ms CRM 30
Dear all. I need your precious help in configuring security roles. We the following organization: 2 business units, called A and B. A has 2 child business units, called A1 and A2. We would like that: - contacts under A1 or A2 must be visible (read-only) by all users under A1 or A2 but editable only by users in owner business unit (i.e. contacts in A1 are read-only for A2 and read-write for A1, contacts in A2 are read-only for A1 and read-write for A2) - but contacts in B must be visible and editable only by users in B. I tried several configurations of users and roles but I can’t find the ...

Backup question

a question and a question

CRM 4.0 and Outlook 2007 clients synchronizing forever.
We have installed some Outlook 2007 CRM 4.0 clients and after installing the CRM client it seems that Outlook 2007 is synchronizing the folders forever. A total restart of Outlook 2007 on the client computer is the only way to get it up and running again. All servicepacks are installed on the client. Any solution to this problem ? Kay "Kay-Christian Wessel" <kayhanse@netcom.no> wrote in message news:ue46jXljIHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > We have installed some Outlook 2007 CRM 4.0 clients and after installing > the CRM client it seems that Outlook 2007 is ...

IF AND question

IE8 privacy question

Question about Paste Special

SQL 2005 Upgrade #2
I know there are Dynamics users that have completed the transition from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005. We are on Dynamics 8.0 SP5 running on SQL 2000 SP4. Step 1 of our move to 10.0 is to upgrade to SQL 2005. We're very clear about the Server side of the upgrade. I have looked for information on CustomerSource about impacts and required activities for Dynamics, but have not found much (This forum is where I have found the most). Is there any information/knowledge available? -- Tim Foster Tim, see below link for upgrade information from Dynamics 8.0 SP5 to 10.0. https://mbs.microsoft....

Microsoft Query question

Question

Setting Outlook as default MAPI client with Notes Present
I have a client who uses Exchange with Outlook 2000 for external e-mail along with Lotus Notes 4.6 Notes is used for a number of databases and internal email The problem is that when they click on say a mail link on the web Notes is launched, and I would like to know who to change this so that Outlook is always launched What program is set as the default here: Control Panel > Internet applet > Programs tab > Mail "Stephen Kearon" <skearon@ole.ie> wrote in message news:091401c39e12$91faf990$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have a client who uses Exchange with Outlook 2...

OWA Question #16

Cannot Expand Distribution List after upgrade to 2007
I have Distribution Lists in my Contact Folder. If I type the name of the list and try to expand the list (+) I only see a series of semi colons, not the names. I also get an "Object not found" error, even though I can see the list if I just open the Address Book Contact Folder. Even if I create a new Distribution List in Outlook 2007, I still get the same result This has only happened on one of our cpu's which have all be recently upgraded to Office 2007. Is there a glitch with the Contact Folder or am I doing something wrong? s How did you upgrade the profile? ...

401K questions

GP 7.5v Year End Close
Does anyone know where I can find information on the steps need to close out the year for GP 7.5v. Thanks Customersource knowledgebase has year end closing checklists. "Allyson" wrote: > Does anyone know where I can find information on the steps need to close out > the year for GP 7.5v. Thanks ...

VBA//Oracle Interfacing Question

Text Box Question

Upgrade from GP 6 to GP9
What is the procedure should I do?? I think the path is 6 to 7.5, 7.5 to 9 "Fat Sam" <fatsam@gamil.com> wrote in message news:efbv0WtiGHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > What is the procedure should I do?? > > ...

If / Then Question

ROWCOUNT question

Trying to configure Xchng 2K3 to relay shared SMTP address....HELP!
All, In trying to setup up a list server (Lyris) behind our Exchange 2K3 server to share same address space (domain.com), I have configured the default recipient policy to be non-authoritative for (@domain.com) and authoritative for (@local). I then created an additional higher priority recipient policy and set (@domain.com) as primary and left (@local) as secondary. As noted in Article 321721: Because Exchange is now non-authoritative for the domain, when Exchange cannot find a matching address in AD, it tries to find an external path to that namespace, FIRST by looking for a connector, an...

Exmerge Question #7

question about "delete"
I have a pointer: MyWindowClass *p = NULL; p = new MyClass(...); .... delete p; After delete p, does p equal NULL(it is in C++ standard?)? How to decide if p has been deleted? The reason I asked this question is that in my project, there are many code/files use the pointer which I need to determine is it is deleted? Can I use: if(p != NULL) delete p; I guess somewhere p has been deleted, but p still not NULL(possible?), the above code might cause problem. Hi Kathy, I typically just set p to NULL when I delete it: delete p; p = NULL; Then you can check it in other places and ...

More combining companies questions
We too have acquired another company and need to look at all of our options concerning what to do with email. We run Exchange 2003, they run Exchange 2000. What is the best way to combine the two so we can share GAL, free-busy info, etc.? No decisions have been made as far as what we are going to do with their AD. We could of course change their MX record to point to our server, update our RUS, etc., but what if we want to keep an Exchange server at their site? What has to be done to join their server to our Exchange org? If you want sync both GAL,pls check this http://www.microso...