problem with inventory items with lot numbers

Hello everybody,

We have finished goods setup in Great Plains with track on lot numbers. That
gives us the possibility to trace each lot and the system not allowed us to
go to negatives.
But we had a bad experience: if you pick an inventory item “ABC” that have
100 units available under lot number “123” and you want to make a negative
variance of 10 units for this lot, after you fill the fields in “Item
Transaction Entry” window, it is open “Item Lot Number Entry” window where
you need to enter the lot information.
Here you can pick the lot & type the quantity (middle of the screen) or you
can type the lot in “lot number” field & type the quantity selected (here you
type a positive value always). Try to type the lot and make a mistake instead
of “123” type “132” or other value that is not a valid lot number. After you
click on “insert” button, the system ask you “do you want to add this lot
number?”. It is good the system catches the error, but an inexperienced user
can click on “add” and the system will allow the error. Going forward, close
“Item Lot Number Entry” window and post the transaction.
Now the balance for item “ABC” is still 100 units (lot “123”), I cannot see
lot “132” (the system just asked me if I want to add this lot and I choose
“yes”), and the “Item Stock Inquiry” window show like you started the Great
Plains (years ago) with 10 units in inventory (all the balances for item
“ABC” are changed).
If you will try this kind of transaction, please use Test Company because I
don’t have a clue how to reverse it (a positive variance for 10 units for lot
“132” will increase the total balance to 110 units, 100 for “123” and 10 for
“132”). Still the beginning balance for item “ABC” is 10…
More then that, you can make adjustments or even transfers for unreal lots
and you will blow your beginning balance.
I hope it is an option in system setup to avoid this kind of error. The
system should allow you to add new lots only when the transaction value is
positive for variances or adjustment. Definitely not in transfer transaction…

Please let me know if you need more details. Any thoughts are welcome.

Radu.

0
RaduLP (15)

Hi Radu,

Encountered the same exact issue with one of our users. I've been trying to
find a way to reverse the transaction but with no luck.  The negative
inventory adjustment was posted with a new lot number but the item on hand
quantity does not reflect this deduction.  Did you find any solution for your
problem?

Thanks,
Mzainal

"Radu LP" wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> We have finished goods setup in Great Plains with track on lot numbers. That
> gives us the possibility to trace each lot and the system not allowed us to
> go to negatives.
> But we had a bad experience: if you pick an inventory item “ABC” that have
> 100 units available under lot number “123” and you want to make a negative
> variance of 10 units for this lot, after you fill the fields in “Item
> Transaction Entry” window, it is open “Item Lot Number Entry” window where
> you need to enter the lot information.
> Here you can pick the lot & type the quantity (middle of the screen) or you
> can type the lot in “lot number” field & type the quantity selected (here you
> type a positive value always). Try to type the lot and make a mistake instead
> of “123” type “132” or other value that is not a valid lot number. After you
> click on “insert” button, the system ask you “do you want to add this lot
> number?”. It is good the system catches the error, but an inexperienced user
> can click on “add” and the system will allow the error. Going forward, close
> “Item Lot Number Entry” window and post the transaction.
> Now the balance for item “ABC” is still 100 units (lot “123”), I cannot see
> lot “132” (the system just asked me if I want to add this lot and I choose
> “yes”), and the “Item Stock Inquiry” window show like you started the Great
> Plains (years ago) with 10 units in inventory (all the balances for item
> “ABC” are changed).
> If you will try this kind of transaction, please use Test Company because I
> don’t have a clue how to reverse it (a positive variance for 10 units for lot
> “132” will increase the total balance to 110 units, 100 for “123” and 10 for
> “132”). Still the beginning balance for item “ABC” is 10…
> More then that, you can make adjustments or even transfers for unreal lots
> and you will blow your beginning balance.
> I hope it is an option in system setup to avoid this kind of error. The
> system should allow you to add new lots only when the transaction value is
> positive for variances or adjustment. Definitely not in transfer transaction…
>
> Please let me know if you need more details. Any thoughts are welcome.
>
> Radu.

0
mzainal (1)
9/26/2007 9:37:01 PM
Version 10 has an option to prevent this type of error from occurring.

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"mzainal" wrote:

> Hi Radu,
>
> Encountered the same exact issue with one of our users. I've been trying to
> find a way to reverse the transaction but with no luck.  The negative
> inventory adjustment was posted with a new lot number but the item on hand
> quantity does not reflect this deduction.  Did you find any solution for your
> problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Mzainal
>
> "Radu LP" wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > We have finished goods setup in Great Plains with track on lot numbers. That
> > gives us the possibility to trace each lot and the system not allowed us to
> > go to negatives.
> > But we had a bad experience: if you pick an inventory item “ABC” that have
> > 100 units available under lot number “123” and you want to make a negative
> > variance of 10 units for this lot, after you fill the fields in “Item
> > Transaction Entry” window, it is open “Item Lot Number Entry” window where
> > you need to enter the lot information.
> > Here you can pick the lot & type the quantity (middle of the screen) or you
> > can type the lot in “lot number” field & type the quantity selected (here you
> > type a positive value always). Try to type the lot and make a mistake instead
> > of “123” type “132” or other value that is not a valid lot number. After you
> > click on “insert” button, the system ask you “do you want to add this lot
> > number?”. It is good the system catches the error, but an inexperienced user
> > can click on “add” and the system will allow the error. Going forward, close
> > “Item Lot Number Entry” window and post the transaction.
> > Now the balance for item “ABC” is still 100 units (lot “123”), I cannot see
> > lot “132” (the system just asked me if I want to add this lot and I choose
> > “yes”), and the “Item Stock Inquiry” window show like you started the Great
> > Plains (years ago) with 10 units in inventory (all the balances for item
> > “ABC” are changed).
> > If you will try this kind of transaction, please use Test Company because I
> > don’t have a clue how to reverse it (a positive variance for 10 units for lot
> > “132” will increase the total balance to 110 units, 100 for “123” and 10 for
> > “132”). Still the beginning balance for item “ABC” is 10…
> > More then that, you can make adjustments or even transfers for unreal lots
> > and you will blow your beginning balance.
> > I hope it is an option in system setup to avoid this kind of error. The
> > system should allow you to add new lots only when the transaction value is
> > positive for variances or adjustment. Definitely not in transfer transaction…
> >
> > Please let me know if you need more details. Any thoughts are welcome.
> >
> > Radu.

0
info4071 (3004)
9/27/2007 1:55:01 AM
Version GP9.0 also has this option, for preventing user for entering
lot number other than the existing one.
To do this follow the following steps:

1. Open the Microsoft Dynamics GP code folder. By default, the
Microsoft Dynamics GP 9.0 code folder is in the following location:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics\GP
2. Make a backup copy of the Dex.ini file in a different folder.
3. Open the original Dex.ini file by using Notepad.
4. Add the following line to the Dex.ini file.
DISALLOWSNLOTAOF=TRUE

5. Save the Dex.ini file.
6. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
Dex.ini file already exists. Do you want to replace it?
7. Start Microsoft Dynamics GP.
8. On the Transactions menu, point to Inventory, and then click
Transaction Entry.
9. Create a "decrease adjustment" transaction.
10. Try to manually enter the serial numbers or the lot numbers. You
will receive one of the following warning messages.

Message 1
Please select an existing lot number. Lot numbers cannot be added from
this window.
Message 2
Please select an existing serial number. Serial numbers cannot be
added from this window.

I have also tried this one & it is working fine

Hope this will solve your problem

Thanks & Regards
Asif Ahmed
email:asif143zf@gmail.com

0
asif143zf (1)
9/27/2007 9:01:46 AM
Thank you. We have a new reason to switch to version 10.

Radu.

"Richard Whaley -- MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> > > Plains (years ago) with 10 units in inventory (all the balances for item
> > > “ABC” are changed).
> > > If you will try this kind of transaction, please use Test Company because I
> > > don’t have a clue how to reverse it (a positive variance for 10 units for lot
> > > “132” will increase the total balance to 110 units, 100 for “123” and 10 for
> > > “132”). Still the beginning balance for item “ABC” is 10…
> > > More then that, you can make adjustments or even transfers for unreal lots
> > > and you will blow your beginning balance.
> > > I hope it is an option in system setup to avoid this kind of error. The
> > > system should allow you to add new lots only when the transaction value is
> > > positive for variances or adjustment. Definitely not in transfer transaction…
> > >
> > > Please let me know if you need more details. Any thoughts are welcome.

0
RaduLP (15)
9/27/2007 2:23:01 PM
Can you please point what we can do to avoid the error described below (about
"adding" new lots in negative variance or adjustment)? We are on version 10
now...

Thank you,

Radu.

"Richard Whaley -- MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> > > Plains (years ago) with 10 units in inventory (all the balances for item
> > > “ABC” are changed).
> > > If you will try this kind of transaction, please use Test Company because I
> > > don’t have a clue how to reverse it (a positive variance for 10 units for lot
> > > “132” will increase the total balance to 110 units, 100 for “123” and 10 for
> > > “132”). Still the beginning balance for item “ABC” is 10…
> > > More then that, you can make adjustments or even transfers for unreal lots
> > > and you will blow your beginning balance.
> > > I hope it is an option in system setup to avoid this kind of error. The
> > > system should allow you to add new lots only when the transaction value is
> > > positive for variances or adjustment. Definitely not in transfer transaction…
> > >
> > > Please let me know if you need more details. Any thoughts are welcome.

0
RaduLP (15)

EFT remit numbers on an edit list
When printing a check batch that accidentally includes an EFT payment, the user does not have the capability to verify it when printing the edit list as the Remitxxxxx number only appears if you post the batch. The kb article: Payables EFT Option for Printing Remittances Now or Later (851283), says it was entered as a quality report (32944) and development turned it into a suggestion. However, the suggestion does not seem to exist here so I am re-submitting it as this feature has not yet been updated. The suggestion is to automatically assign the REMITXXXXX number to all EFT payments r...

Outlook 2003 PST problems

I want to expose Action menu items as form buttons
I'm trying to expose Action menu items as form buttons by customizing the _recources/ISV.Config file. I'm trying to use the following code: <incident> <ToolBar ValidForCreate="0" ValidForUpdate="1"> <Button Title="Resolve Case" ToolTip="Resolve this case" Icon="/_imgs/ico_18_serviceReports.gif" Url="http://localhost/CS/cases/dlg_closecase.aspx" PassParams="1" WinParams="" WinMode="0"/> </ToolBar> </incident> It throws an error, so I can only assume that I'...

Problem shortcuts in Word

Item History Report
I have modified the item movement history report to get an essential output for my client, who's main concern when purchasing is on the history of the item (needs to know when, who, quantitiy, and multi currency + exchange rate at time). The reason i modded the Item movement history report is because it is easy accessible from the purchase order (although he has to double click on the item to bring up the item form and then click on the report button, which brings up the default filer for the itemlookup code in question). The only issue with this report is that it brings up a filte...

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

consective numbering
I use an excel spreadsheet to do monthly invoicing and would like to be able to consectively have a invoice number each time I prepare a new invoice. Is this possible in excel? See this: http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8AE03354-EE7C-4E0C-A86B-0566BB217BA2@microsoft.com... >I use an excel spreadsheet to do monthly invoicing and would like to be >able > to consectively have a invoice number each time I prepare a new invoice. >...

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

Counting the number of emails
Hello Is it possible in versions 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003 of Outlook to count the number of emails received/sent without having to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...... Many thanks Steve "SteveH" <SteveH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:761D1DA9-FA02-49FF-B730-C35D71879512@microsoft.com... > Hello > > Is it possible in versions 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003 of Outlook to > count > the number of emails received/sent without having to 1, 2, 3, 4, > 5...... > > Many thanks > > Steve What's wrong with looking down at the left end of the sta...

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2