Price/cost fields need to be able to go beyond 5 decimals.

When we receive product it comes in $ per metric ton, which we convert to $
per lb..

We sometimes receive product in millions of lbs. in one line item, when we
convert from $/MT to lb./MT the limit of 5 decimal places in a currency field
causes pretty lare rounding errors to occur in our extended cost.

This causes our posted cost in GP to be different than what we actually pay
our vendors.

The ability to  extend beyond 5 decimals in the currency field would solve
the problem, but for now it is not possible in GP.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=d1ab1984-4a42-4809-a170-fa83eb9ce288&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
Bhops (4)

The Currency datatype in Dexterity (the language Great Plains is developed
in) is not a true floating point datatype.  It is fixed to 5 decimal places
whether they are used or not.  The actual number of decimal places seen is
controlled by the code based on the settings in the system.

There is a Variable Currency datatype now which allows more than 5 decimal
places, but it would be a massive effort to rewrite most of Great Plains to
use this datatype.

Can I suggest changing the Unit Of Measure used so that you don't need more
than 5 decimal places?

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Senior Development Consultant
Escalation Engineer
MBS Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Business Solutions

mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com

and confers no rights.

"Bhops" wrote:

> When we receive product it comes in $ per metric ton, which we convert to $
> per lb..
>
> We sometimes receive product in millions of lbs. in one line item, when we
> convert from $/MT to lb./MT the limit of 5 decimal places in a currency field
> causes pretty lare rounding errors to occur in our extended cost.
>
> This causes our posted cost in GP to be different than what we actually pay
> our vendors.
>
> The ability to  extend beyond 5 decimals in the currency field would solve
> the problem, but for now it is not possible in GP.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=d1ab1984-4a42-4809-a170-fa83eb9ce288&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
dmusgrav1 (1325)
8/17/2006 1:26:01 AM
David,
There is no way that we can change the industry.  The steel industry works
this way, changing the unit of measure is not a solution.  If we send one
vessel 7,500,000 lbs. and I call it 3400 metric tons when I then send one
truck load to a mill what do I bill then .0090528447 metric tons.  The cost
of the commidity is also in cents per lb. of material contained which means
it is based off of a % of content of material ex. 63.57% four more decimails
to go against.  Multiple all of these decimails by millions of diollars and
you can see that it really maters.  Is Excel our only alternative after
sinking hundreds of thousands in to this system that can not accomidate?  If
I understand your position it looks as if your company does not look to
change this at any time.

"David Musgrave [MSFT]" wrote:

> The Currency datatype in Dexterity (the language Great Plains is developed
> in) is not a true floating point datatype.  It is fixed to 5 decimal places
> whether they are used or not.  The actual number of decimal places seen is
> controlled by the code based on the settings in the system.
>
> There is a Variable Currency datatype now which allows more than 5 decimal
> places, but it would be a massive effort to rewrite most of Great Plains to
> use this datatype.
>
> Can I suggest changing the Unit Of Measure used so that you don't need more
> than 5 decimal places?
>
> David Musgrave [MSFT]
> Senior Development Consultant
> Escalation Engineer
> MBS Support - Asia Pacific
>
> Microsoft Business Solutions
> http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions
>
> mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
>
> Any views contained within are my personal views and
> not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> and confers no rights.
>

> "Bhops" wrote:
>
> > When we receive product it comes in $ per metric ton, which we convert to $
> > per lb..
> >
> > We sometimes receive product in millions of lbs. in one line item, when we
> > convert from $/MT to lb./MT the limit of 5 decimal places in a currency field
> > causes pretty lare rounding errors to occur in our extended cost.
> >
> > This causes our posted cost in GP to be different than what we actually pay
> > our vendors.
> >
> > The ability to  extend beyond 5 decimals in the currency field would solve
> > the problem, but for now it is not possible in GP.
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=d1ab1984-4a42-4809-a170-fa83eb9ce288&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
Bhops (4)
8/17/2006 1:35:01 PM
 And you actually went ahead and incurred a cost of  "hundreds of
thousands into this system...." without checking what appears to be a
vital part of how the system works????? Now it's the fault of the
producer of the system that you didn't check?????

Lyle

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 06:35:01 -0700, Bhops
<Bhops@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> > per lb..
>> >
>> > We sometimes receive product in millions of lbs. in one line item, when we
>> > convert from $/MT to lb./MT the limit of 5 decimal places in a currency field
>> > causes pretty lare rounding errors to occur in our extended cost.
>> >
>> > This causes our posted cost in GP to be different than what we actually pay
>> > our vendors.
>> >
>> > The ability to  extend beyond 5 decimals in the currency field would solve
>> > the problem, but for now it is not possible in GP.
>> >
>> > ----------------
>> > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>> > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
>> > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
>> > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then

no-one9822 (112)
8/17/2006 2:52:06 PM
For the example you gave you can change the Unit of Measure so that it is
within the five decimal places handled by the system.

Based on the conversion ratios: 1 Metric Ton = 1,000 Kilograms = 1,000,000
grams

Your example becomes:

0.0090528447 Metric Tons = 9.0528447 Kilograms = 9052.8447 grams

Have you looked at the Solutions Guide or asked on discussion groups whether
there are addon products or customisations to make Great Plains work better
with the Steel industry?

"Bhops" wrote:

> [...]
> > > per lb..
> > >
> > > We sometimes receive product in millions of lbs. in one line item, when we
> > > convert from $/MT to lb./MT the limit of 5 decimal places in a currency field
> > > causes pretty lare rounding errors to occur in our extended cost.
> > >
> > > This causes our posted cost in GP to be different than what we actually pay
> > > our vendors.
> > >
> > > The ability to  extend beyond 5 decimals in the currency field would solve
> > > the problem, but for now it is not possible in GP.
> > >
> > > ----------------
> > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
> > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then

8/17/2006 3:08:01 PM
If you would please refer back to the email below, I stated that
i was not placing blame on the producer of the system. The statement was
made that we can not change the industry that we are in.  We were merely
looking to the producer of the system to provide a solution, plain and simple.

"no-one@nowhere.nil" wrote:

>  And you actually went ahead and incurred a cost of  "hundreds of
> thousands into this system...." without checking what appears to be a
> vital part of how the system works????? Now it's the fault of the
> producer of the system that you didn't check?????
>
> Lyle
>
> On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 06:35:01 -0700, Bhops
> <Bhops@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >David,
> >There is no way that we can change the industry.  The steel industry works
> >this way, changing the unit of measure is not a solution.  If we send one
> >vessel 7,500,000 lbs. and I call it 3400 metric tons when I then send one
> >truck load to a mill what do I bill then .0090528447 metric tons.  The cost
> >of the commidity is also in cents per lb. of material contained which means
> >it is based off of a % of content of material ex. 63.57% four more decimails
> >to go against.  Multiple all of these decimails by millions of diollars and
> >you can see that it really maters.  Is Excel our only alternative after
> >sinking hundreds of thousands in to this system that can not accomidate?  If
> >I understand your position it looks as if your company does not look to
> >change this at any time.
> >
> >"David Musgrave [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> The Currency datatype in Dexterity (the language Great Plains is developed
> >> in) is not a true floating point datatype.  It is fixed to 5 decimal places
> >> whether they are used or not.  The actual number of decimal places seen is
> >> controlled by the code based on the settings in the system.
> >>
> >> There is a Variable Currency datatype now which allows more than 5 decimal
> >> places, but it would be a massive effort to rewrite most of Great Plains to
> >> use this datatype.
> >>
> >> Can I suggest changing the Unit Of Measure used so that you don't need more
> >> than 5 decimal places?
> >>
> >> David Musgrave [MSFT]
> >> Senior Development Consultant
> >> Escalation Engineer
> >> MBS Support - Asia Pacific
> >>
> >> Microsoft Business Solutions
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions
> >>
> >> mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> Any views contained within are my personal views and
> >> not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
> >> and confers no rights.

0
Bhops (4)
8/17/2006 7:45:03 PM
David,

If you could suggest some solutions, add ons etc.  We would greatly
appreciate it.

"David Musgrave [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> > > whether they are used or not.  The actual number of decimal places seen is
> > > controlled by the code based on the settings in the system.
> > >
> > > There is a Variable Currency datatype now which allows more than 5 decimal
> > > places, but it would be a massive effort to rewrite most of Great Plains to
> > > use this datatype.
> > >
> > > Can I suggest changing the Unit Of Measure used so that you don't need more
> > > than 5 decimal places?
> > >
> > > David Musgrave [MSFT]
> > > Senior Development Consultant
> > > Escalation Engineer
> > > MBS Support - Asia Pacific
> > >
> > > Microsoft Business Solutions
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions
> > >
> > > mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
> > >
> > > Any views contained within are my personal views and
> > > not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,

8/17/2006 7:47:02 PM
I would suggest looking at

http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/solutionfinder.mspx

or posting on this discussion group a request for information on addons for
your industry.

"Bhops" wrote:

> David,
>
> If you could suggest some solutions, add ons etc.  We would greatly
> appreciate it.
>
> "David Musgrave [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > For the example you gave you can change the Unit of Measure so that it is
> > within the five decimal places handled by the system.
> >
> > Based on the conversion ratios: 1 Metric Ton = 1,000 Kilograms = 1,000,000
> > grams
> >
> > Your example becomes:
> >
> > 0.0090528447 Metric Tons = 9.0528447 Kilograms = 9052.8447 grams
> >
> > Have you looked at the Solutions Guide or asked on discussion groups whether
> > there are addon products or customisations to make Great Plains work better
> > with the Steel industry?
> >
> > David Musgrave [MSFT]
> > Senior Development Consultant
> > Escalation Engineer
> > MBS Support - Asia Pacific
> >
> > Microsoft Business Solutions
> > http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions
> >
> > mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
> >
> > Any views contained within are my personal views and
> > not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
> > and confers no rights.
> >

> > "Bhops" wrote:
> >
> > > David,
> > > There is no way that we can change the industry.  The steel industry works
> > > this way, changing the unit of measure is not a solution.  If we send one
> > > vessel 7,500,000 lbs. and I call it 3400 metric tons when I then send one
> > > truck load to a mill what do I bill then .0090528447 metric tons.  The cost
> > > of the commidity is also in cents per lb. of material contained which means
> > > it is based off of a % of content of material ex. 63.57% four more decimails
> > > to go against.  Multiple all of these decimails by millions of diollars and
> > > you can see that it really maters.  Is Excel our only alternative after
> > > sinking hundreds of thousands in to this system that can not accomidate?  If
> > > I understand your position it looks as if your company does not look to
> > > change this at any time.

0
dmusgrav1 (1325)

cost basis in retirement account
When calculating my cost basis for a mutual fund in a roth-ira, money includes any reinvested dividends and capital gains to the cost basis thus when generating returns that are not right. because roth accounts are pretaxed any dividends or capital gains are not taxed and should not be added to the cost basis. i've gone into the account settings and checked that this account is a retirement account and a roth-ira. any suggestions on how to fix this so i can determine what my actual returns are? -- bob In microsoft.public.money, bobmoneyquestion wrote: >When calculating my co...

LIST PRICE VS PRICE LEVELS
For item prices, there is a need to enter a "list price" and then to go to the item maintenance screen to enter the actual price. This allows for the entry of multiple price levels. Most of the time, we do not use multiple price levels. I would like for there to be an option which would allow the list price to default to the actual price. This would save us a lot of data entry tiime. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the...

How to batch update prices manually
May I update investment prices inport from a text file or execl file... Nope. "STANLEY LAI" <STANLEYLAI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87D1307D-3D11-4584-BDA2-E45DB69EFFA3@microsoft.com... > May I update investment prices inport from a text file or execl file... ...

Need help with this query 07-02-10
I need to pull data from the table below for anyone who has donated $1000 or more in at least 3 years between 2005 and 2010 with a lapse year in between. In other words they skipped a year somewhere. Here is the table layout CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Donations]( [ID] [varchar](10) NOT NULL, [FiscalYear] [int] NOT NULL, [Amount] [money] NULL, CONSTRAINT [PK_Donations] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED ( [ID] ASC, [FiscalYear] ASC )WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON, FILLFACTOR = 90) ON [PRIMARY] ...

special pricing
I am trying to figure out how to set special pricing for specific customers. I already have retail, A & B pricing, with A being lowest, then B, and retail being the highest price. I offer the different prices based on volume. Now, I am trying to set up a customer with special prices on a select number of items. these prices are below A pricing, and i have been changing the pricing on each transaction. this is very time consuming, and prone to making mistakes. i would like to be able to set up a special pricing structure for specific customers on a job by job basis, or for a set per...

need help Combo Box with duplicate entry.
I have a combo box with unique and non-unique entries. (search field) 00010 | john | smith | 12345 | 00002 00196 | jane | doe | 0120 | 00001 00196 | Jone| wood| 0220 | 00005 I would like the following to happen. 1) user types the number needed ( 10 ) 2) the combo box zero fills the field (00010) 3) then selects an entry from the combo box. (12345) if the select is incorrect ( one of the non-unique numbers was selected - 00196) the user will open the combo box and select the correct entry. (jone wood) add the info will be put on the form. the following code works if the user ente...

Price change
I have noticed a problem with our pos's. Everytime we inquire on a certain item, and from that we go to another item, the retail price on the first item automatically replaces the new item we are looking up. Can someone help me stop this problem? i think there is a hotfix for that . "abdelseck@sbcglobal.net" wrote: > I have noticed a problem with our pos's. Everytime we inquire on a certain > item, and from that we go to another item, the retail price on the first item > automatically replaces the new item we are looking up. > Can someone help me stop this ...

Moving mailboxes between Exch. 5.5 and 2003
Hello When I try to move mailboxes from exchange 5.5 to 2003 I got following error. You do not have the rights required to complete the operation. MAPI or an unspecified service provider. ID no: 80070005-0000-00000000 I have assigned Permission Admin rights to about anything I can think of at the 5.5 side. Any help greatly appreciated TIA Rudy Steyaert Hi Rudy You might want to take a look at this article and see if it helps: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;264119 -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Limited This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,...

Need an open house sign in sheet

Exchange 5.5 listening on multiple ports
I want to configure Exchange 5.5 to listen on port 25 and another port at the same time. The reason for this is that port 25 is protected by Mailguard in the firewall and I don't want to change that. However, Mailguard prevents the use of AUTH but I'd like to connect to the mail server through the firewall to send emails via the Exchange server, obviously authenticating beforehand. I know how to change the port from 25 but I don't want to experiment with multiple ports until I get some feedback. Any answers greatly appreciated. Regards, Paul. AFAIK, E55 can be configured to li...

Yes/No Field
I have fields in the backend table that are set for YES/NO on type. However, my users just want to use a Y for YES or N for No, instead of having to keystroke the entire "YES" in the field on the Frontend database. Is there an easy way to just enter an Y or N for controls using the Yes/No field type? HI - Did you consider using checkboxes for these fields instead of textboxes? It doesn't change how the data is stored in the tables. A Yes/No is stored as 0 or -1 = "Yes" or "No" is just a display format. If your users don't like having to...

Searchable text field
I have created a work sheet to track what daily tasks my employees do on a job. I have numerous employees, each doing several tasks. I want to have a "Notes" column where I can document any special conditions that may have existed when the work was performed. For example, Al painted a room and Bob installed floor tile. I can document the work tasks, but I need to document if painting was done on a cloudy day or the floor was bumpy. Then, I would like to search the "Notes" column for all work done on a cloudy day, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bill Hi! Defi...

Problem after mailbox restore in Exchange 5.5
I restored a users mailbox with backup exec, which went succesfully. If I look at the Mailbox Resources I see that the size of the restored mailbox is about a 100.000 K and there are about 3000 messages in it. When I connect to the mailbox with Outlook XP, I do not see any messages and the amilbox size button in oulook states 35K. How can I resolve this issue? On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 05:45:04 -0800, "EG" <EG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I restored a users mailbox with backup exec, which went succesfully. If I >look at the Mailbox Resources I see that the size ...

How to clear the names when writing in the To: field...
Hi, How can I clear the list of names, that's showing up when I write in my To:/CC: field. Everytime I send an email to someone, they get's listed in this list - which means, everytime I write a name, I get a huge list... How can I avoid this? Thanks! /Rico After you type 3 letters in the To:/CC: box the names appear in the dropdown. If you use the down arrow to highlight the name you don't want to appear and then press the delete key. Hey preseto its gone. >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >How can I clear the list of names, that's showing up when &...

Auto fit table fields [RS 2003]
Hi all, in Reporting Services 2003 is there a way to auto fit the fields of a table (based on the content)? Thanks a lot. Luigi Don't you have 'cangrow' and 'canshrink'? On May 11, 3:41=A0am, Luigi <Lu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi all, > in Reporting Services 2003 is there a way to auto fit the fields of a tab= le > (based on the content)? > > Thanks a lot. > > Luigi ...

Importing fund price histories
I am using Money 2004 Standard, and I would like to keep track of some mutual funds that I bought a few years ago. Is it possible to import histories of these funds? I have the daily unit prices for these funds for the last 10 years as CSV files. Is there a way to import this data into Money? Thanks ...

Want to go back to MS Money 2000 from 2006
I bought a new computer with Money 2006 already installed on it (OEM-Standard). I own MS Money 2000. When I transferred the files from the old computer and opened it with new the version of Money it seemed to be less user-friendly but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I found out I am missing key features (forecasting balances, showing what the new balance will be when highlighting an item in bill summary, how categories are handled). These far outweight the 1 nice feature I found of showing a calendar at the bottom of the bills summary. I loaded MS Money 2000 on the computer. I ca...

Too Many Fields
I have a report that pulls from a single query. This query is made up of two tables and 9 queries. The tables include: 1) Employee information that requires about 45 unique fields 2) Company information that requires about 55 unique fields The 9 queries are simple queries that basically group information from various other tables including the employee and company table. My database is normalized. Here is the issue: The amount of information I need to display on a particular report encompasses about 70 fields. This translates into requiring 70 fields in the query powering the report....

Do I need Exchange Server ?
Heres my question: I have 2 computers. We'll call them Computer A and Computer B. My Main computer is Computer A and I have a few programs installed on it that I want Computer B to run. Mainly my MS Office Outlook. I want Computer B to execute MS Outlook from my Computer A through the LAN Network. I want Computer B to send and receive emails. Then when I open the program on computer A all the emails send and received will show up on computer A. Is this possible? Heres the low down. I run Computer A to build my web site. While the wifey handles the email/customer serive and orders....

Excel Help for Non-Profit Needed
I hope I have the right group for this question. I am Radio Auction Chairman in the Rayne Lions Club in Louisiana and I am working with Excel to enter all the items for our Live Radio Auction. I have entered all auction items in Excel and now I want to copy & paste the information into a word document. When I copy & insert the column, it also paste the cells. I need just the information for the newspapers. Can I just copy & paste just into information into a word file without the cells? Also, if I have listed the items from top to bottom in a column, is there any way to flip...

need a copy of analys32.xll
I cannot find a copy of analys32.xll is one available to download? No, it's on the office/excel installation CD -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C649B233-7450-47B2-8CE6-6FB16FAE8000@microsoft.com... > I cannot find a copy of analys32.xll is one available to download? ...

CRM 3.0
How in CRM 3.0 can I set up cascading changes so if a company get's bought out to have the name casade down through to the contacts, if they move have the address change casade down, the account get re-assigned to a new territory, their price changes... how do I set it up to cascade down from the Accounts to Contacts. Thanks so much! Shauna Do I have to do an OnSave for each of the fields that might change? Is this the only way? There must be a better way than this as it is something the happens frequently in any database. Thanks! Shauna "Shauna Koppang" wrote: > H...

Formula needed please :-)
P V AE AD Initial/Review Initial on time Review ontime Days Betwe Initial Yes n/a 63 Review n/a Yes 71 Review n/a Yes 85 Initial Yes n/a 163 Initial Yes n/a 81 Review n/a Yes 115 Initial No n/a 60 The questions I need answered are: Review Case Conferences on time: Review Case Conferneces Not on time: ...

Attachment Field on Form
When I view my form I want the users to see a list of the file names in the attachments field rather than just icons. Is this easy to do? Thanks, -- Matt Scheperle mscheperle@gmail.com You can loop through the attachment field and get the file names and then display them somehow. This article should help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb258184.aspx The default behavior lets the user see the list of attachments when they manage attachments as well. HTH, Mark RPT Software http://www.rptsoftware.com "Matthew Scheperle" <MatthewScheperle@d...

item default price level
Should provide for the option to be able to choose "customer price level" on the item price list default price level window. This would allow for the ability of customer based pricing. If the item did not exist on the sop header, it currently then looks for the default price level setup on the item. By using "customer price level" the item could be geared toward default pricing established for the each customer. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, clic...