Post to GL vs Post Through GL Files

Ok.....a stupid question here.  What exactly is the difference is having the
boxes checked to Post to GL and Post Through GL Files?  Is there any problem
with having one vs the other or both of them checked?  I would assume that
not having the Post Through GL will require you to post each batch to the GL.
0
JeffG (15)

I am surprised that you can have both boxes checked. In that instance, I am
uncertain what would happen. Normally, you would have only one of the boxes
checked. (You could also have none of the boxes checked if you don't want to
post to the GL. For example, you might unmark these selections when you're
entering beginning balances or if you're entering correcting transactions in
a subsidiary module and don't want the amounts to affect General Ledger.)

Selecting "post to" means that you will have an opportunity to edit you
entry prior to posting to the GL. However, it also means you have another
step because you must initiate that posting. Please note that even if you
edit the GL entry, this edit does not get written back to the distribution
of the original entry. For example, a payables invoice incorrectly debits
Administrative Expense instead of Selling Expense. Even though you edit the
GL entry before posting, if you look on the distribution in the payables
module for the originating entry, it will still show a debit to
Administrative Expense, even though there is no such entry in the General
Ledger.

For my primary company I post to the GL because I occasionally have users
posting entries in the subsidiary modules without account numbers or using
inactive account numbers that I want to fix before they are posted to the
GL.

I have another company, which has very few transactions, where I did select
Post Through GL since I am the only one making the entries. For this company
I still find certain transactions dod not post through to the GL and I must
post them using GL Series Posting. It is possible that I do not have
something set up correctly that is causing this to occur.

I hope this helps. I assume you have already read the Help topics about
this.
"Jeff G" <JeffG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok.....a stupid question here.  What exactly is the difference is having
> the
> boxes checked to Post to GL and Post Through GL Files?  Is there any
> problem
> with having one vs the other or both of them checked?  I would assume that
> not having the Post Through GL will require you to post each batch to the
> GL.

Jeff and Donald,

To be able to Post Through GL you NEED to have the Post to GL checked.  Try
it - unchecking Post to GL disables the Post Through option.  As Donald
said, basically Post Through GL is just a way of saving a step in the
posting process so instead of creating a GL transaction and waiting for a
user to manually post it, the transaction is posted to the GL automatically
once the subledger posting occurs.  That's why the Post to GL has to be
checked - if you're not posting to GL, how could you have that posting
automated?

--
Victoria Yudin
Microsoft MVP - Great Plains

"Donald W. Johnson" <djohnson@pshinc.com> wrote in message
>I am surprised that you can have both boxes checked. In that instance, I am
>uncertain what would happen. Normally, you would have only one of the boxes
>checked. (You could also have none of the boxes checked if you don't want
>to post to the GL. For example, you might unmark these selections when
>you're entering beginning balances or if you're entering correcting
>transactions in a subsidiary module and don't want the amounts to affect
>General Ledger.)
>
> Selecting "post to" means that you will have an opportunity to edit you
> entry prior to posting to the GL. However, it also means you have another
> step because you must initiate that posting. Please note that even if you
> edit the GL entry, this edit does not get written back to the distribution
> of the original entry. For example, a payables invoice incorrectly debits
> Administrative Expense instead of Selling Expense. Even though you edit
> the GL entry before posting, if you look on the distribution in the
> payables module for the originating entry, it will still show a debit to
> Administrative Expense, even though there is no such entry in the General
> Ledger.
>
> For my primary company I post to the GL because I occasionally have users
> posting entries in the subsidiary modules without account numbers or using
> inactive account numbers that I want to fix before they are posted to the
> GL.
>
> I have another company, which has very few transactions, where I did
> select Post Through GL since I am the only one making the entries. For
> this company I still find certain transactions dod not post through to the
> GL and I must post them using GL Series Posting. It is possible that I do
> not have something set up correctly that is causing this to occur.
>
> I hope this helps. I assume you have already read the Help topics about
> this.
> "Jeff G" <JeffG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Ok.....a stupid question here.  What exactly is the difference is having
>> the
>> boxes checked to Post to GL and Post Through GL Files?  Is there any
>> problem
>> with having one vs the other or both of them checked?  I would assume
>> that
>> not having the Post Through GL will require you to post each batch to the
>> GL.

0
victoria (3339)
10/6/2005 8:20:56 PM
i completely agree with victoria  .
allowing post through gl provides additional constraints like editing and
deleting, on your daily transactions
if you have many frequent Batch transactions on  daily basis then avoid this
option .
it  also depends on  your company policiy.

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > select Post Through GL since I am the only one making the entries. For
> > this company I still find certain transactions dod not post through to the
> > GL and I must post them using GL Series Posting. It is possible that I do
> > not have something set up correctly that is causing this to occur.
> >
> > I hope this helps. I assume you have already read the Help topics about
> > this.
> > "Jeff G" <JeffG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Ok.....a stupid question here.  What exactly is the difference is having
> >> the
> >> boxes checked to Post to GL and Post Through GL Files?  Is there any
> >> problem
> >> with having one vs the other or both of them checked?  I would assume
> >> that
> >> not having the Post Through GL will require you to post each batch to the

0
MRajput (3)
11/17/2005 1:08:08 PM
Hi,

We  having a problem with bank transection entries.
Posting  setting is Tools/Setup are correctly set  as post To the G/L. After
enter bank Transection it is creating a batch but smartlist also showing that
entry before its posting. The Transection  seems as posted but we do't.

Second problum is we have done bank deposit entry it is showing same entry
in twice time one is with description and one without discription.

 What else do I need to check?
 Thanks for your help.
Naveed

"M.Rajput" wrote:

> [...]
> > > payables module for the originating entry, it will still show a debit to
> > > Administrative Expense, even though there is no such entry in the General
> > > Ledger.
> > >
> > > For my primary company I post to the GL because I occasionally have users
> > > posting entries in the subsidiary modules without account numbers or using
> > > inactive account numbers that I want to fix before they are posted to the
> > > GL.
> > >
> > > I have another company, which has very few transactions, where I did
> > > select Post Through GL since I am the only one making the entries. For
> > > this company I still find certain transactions dod not post through to the
> > > GL and I must post them using GL Series Posting. It is possible that I do
> > > not have something set up correctly that is causing this to occur.
> > >
> > > I hope this helps. I assume you have already read the Help topics about

0
naveed (68)

Right click to create new file with Excel 97
We use Excel 97 at our office on Windows XP Professional. A couple of users want to be able to create new files by using new from the right click menu and selecting Microsoft Excel Worksheet. The creation of the file works fine in that the filename is filename.xls. When they open the file and add information and then try to save the file, Excel wants to save as tab delimited. Creating a file by opening Excel first works just fine. We have tried this on several computers and the results are the same. For convenience is there some way to change this behavior? ...

Posting old bills
I am setting up Money 2006 to tract income and expenses for a rental property, but I need to back date it to 1/1/2007. How do I enter bills and deposits made in the past? Thanks Go to the account register and enter the manually. Just click on the next blank transaction and go to town. You may want to make sure you are using Advanced Register. If there are subsequent transactions already in these accounts and you have balanced the accounts to statements--as though these transactions were already entered--then you will have to adjust account beginning balances and/or Account Adjustment...

locked excel File ??
Hi . I am working with my colleges with one Excel file in a shared file system. Sometime - when I open the file, there is the message "locked from College" - but he is definetly out of office and shut down his PC. We are using Excel 2003 + Excel 2007. What can I do?? THnks for help Susan ...

* OWA... (Third Post)
Microsoft? If you're concerned about security then you should respond to this question. We cannot make this OWA server available on the Internet without applying the latest SP and critical updates. =========================== Our OWA Exchange 5.5 server (Windows NT Server) recently died and we replaced it with a Windows 2000 Server. We installed Exchange 5.5 OWA then applied Exchange SP4. Everything was working until we apply Windows 2000 SP4. Everytime we logon we get "OWA was unable to get to your inbox" error. As soon as we un-installed Windows 2000 SP4, OWA wo...

To the sender of the MI5 posts
I am not sure if you read responses or (like most other spammers) just see the web as a place where you are free to say whatever you want without fear of contradiction. Who knows? Either way - this section of this site is site is specifically here so that anyone with a comment, question, point to rise, etc regarding access databases can post with the knowledge that other likeminded people may read their post. It is not here as a general forum to discuss other matters. I have no doubt that if you are blocked from posting you will see this as yet another indication that MI5 is after yo...

Net start vs. Services manager
Hi. I've created a applicaton to run as a service. Starting it from the services manager work but not startin it from command promt using net start. I didn't think there was any difference between those two but appearently there is. I'm running WinXP pro as Administrator. /David net start is an incredibly thin wrapper on the SCM calls. The services manager is simply a GUI layer which is a wrapper on the SCM calls. You have not described the error that occurs. Try writing the six-line console program that invokes the SCM to do it and see if that works, and if it doesn't, Get...

Data Files in Exchange 2000
Hi! We have Exchange Server 2000 with SBS 2000. Recently I have noticed that the data files for my exchange server which resides in MDBDATA Folder (.edb amd .stm files) are not being updated with current date. Date modified fot this files is showing 1/27/2006. Eventhough our emails works fine without any trouble I am concerned about this data files are not being updated. Can anybody tell me if this is normal or not. Thanks Raj raj@debthelper.com normal...that date will not typically update until a restart of the store... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Raj Bhavsar" <raj@debthe...

Converting a publisher file
Hi I create a business card with publisher but I need to convert this file to either a tif or jpeg. Can anyone know of a file conversion that can do this? Thanks Depends what version you did not tell us. In Pub 2003 try Save As. -- John G Wot's Your Real Problem? "Budadm" <Budadm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:880D6399-87EE-4C2C-9C8B-E6A0B53F55E4@microsoft.com... > Hi > I create a business card with publisher but I need to convert this > file to > either a tif or jpeg. Can anyone know of a file conversion that can do > this? > ...

What's the difference between Cross-posting and Multi-posting
And thanks for the discussion earlier... although the rudeness was unneeded. Sign me, A New User (and learning from you all) rochgal, you wrote on Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:53:03 -0700: > What's the difference between Cross-posting and Multi-posting Cross-posting = You send one posting to several newsgroups. Multi-posting = You send several postings (with the same content) to several newsgroups. -- Best Regards Christian Goeller Some misspellings, grammatical or linguistical mistakes found? All corrections would be appreciated! ...

Post to GL
Hello I am having a problem with a setting within Great Plains 8.0 service pack 2. I have posting setup to only allow posting from the batch level for Inventory. But when you go into Inventory Batches the check box for post to gl is not marked. If I have it setup in posting to post to the gl shouldn't this check box be marked in inventory batches? -- Thanks, Brian Apples and oranges. The post to GL checkbox on the inventory batch window tells the system whether an IV transaction will post at all. The posting settings in tools --> setup --> posting tell the system w...

Intrastat posting issue
We are a UK company using intrastat. At the moment we cannot post invoices directly (thru) to the General ledger because we are getting an error saying that the 'intratsat information is missing'. When we click on an invoice that won't post in the Sales Transaction Entry screen, and click on the blue EC flag box, all the intrastat data is there and correct. Then when we post it goes through to the GL correctly. It seems that it will only post to the GL if every single line is checked (via the Blue EC flag) on the sales invoice regardless of the fact that all the date is alr...

File Transfer Wizard Question
Hello: Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, but after reviewing several of the forum posts on the File tRansfer Wizard, I haven't seen it posted anywhere yet. Does the File Transfer Wizard move or copy data from source to target computer and is this option configurable? Thanks in advance, Bob -- Robert Lindholm University of Rochester http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457074.aspx Robert Lindholm wrote: > Hello: > > Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, but after reviewing several > of the forum posts on the File ...

Outlook 2003 Crashes when Attaching Files
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C42095.7B4916E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have a client who recently ugraded from Office XP to Office 2003 - Now = each time she tries to attach any file type to Outlook, Outlook crashes = and this error appears in the log. Looks like the only add--in that = might matter is Symantec Antivirus Corp Edition 8.1. I have tried with = the add-in deselected and with Exchange Protection disabled. I have = been able to find this several places, b...

Access 2002 bug: "dynamic" forms problem
There was no respond to my original post in microsoft.public.access.forms (May 5th 2007) about a fortnight so I try it here... ��������������������������������� A while ago we had a discussion about A2002 (sub)form which changes dynamically from code (hide/unhide controls, change subfom's width, etc.). There's a problem if I make some changes in code when the form is open: if I save changes, A2002 saves controls positions & subform's size as well. This is a BIG A2002 BUG and it's really annoying. Why Access forms don't behave as Visual Basic forms? I don't want Acc...

Deleted Payroll File
In September I accidently deleted a Payroll from Jan 08 while training a new individual. I know that I need to enter manual checks to get the balances back correctly, what I dont know is do I a make the checks for the Sept date that I deleted it or for Jan. Jan payroll still shows correct but Sept. payroll reports show the wrong number because it had that delete in there. Also once I enter the manual checks is there any other ajustments that I need to make. ...

Corrupt File
I switched from Comcast to Millenium Cable this week and the installer created a new e-mail account. I noticed later that I had two new e-mail accounts with the same name as well as my old 2 e-mail accounts. I noticed that when I changed something in one of them the change appeared in both. This was the first indication of corruption. I then deleted all four accounts and re- created the new one as well as the two old ones. First I noticed that I could not change the default e-mail account. Then I noticed that not all accounts were participating in the send and receive. I tried to edit...

Crash Dump files not saving
Hi, Our server is blue screening on a regular basis and we think we know the cause but would like to use the crash dump files to confirm this. The problem is that they are not being saved to disk! I've checked this article and everything seems fine - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/130536 Does anyone know of any otehr reasons why these may not be being saved? Thanks. Sorry forgot to mention that the server is running Windows Web Server 2008 x64 "Jane Rocksford" <j.rocksford.1971@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OtReK6htKHA.4220@TK2MSFTNGP05.p...

Hidden files are hidden
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_005C_01CA74E8.9FAC62F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have a computer that I installed a second hard drive on that was in = another of my computers. I have XP pro sp3 I run Internet Explorer 6 (I tried 7 and 8 but had = problems with them so reverted back to 6) My main hard disk is C and my second hard disk is D When I installed the 2nd hard disk everything is wonderful, except then = I tried to remove all the Operating stuff which was al...

OPOS Driver VS Windows Driver
I have a Epson TM-T88III Reciept Printer and the problem that i have is that when I use the windows printer driver to print the receipts its very slow and when I use the OPOS driver the reciept prints really fast. I would rather use the windows driver so how can I make the reciept print out faster? For faster printing in Windows using a TM printer, select a TM-Printer font -Chris "Mr Singh" <MrSingh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:923EF5EF-C020-4193-B870-166094822E33@microsoft.com... >I have a Epson TM-T88III Reciept Printer and the problem that i ha...

where is my post??
twice now I have typed up my post & sent it. So where is it? On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:41:36 -0700, Stapes <steve.staple@gmail.com> wrote: >twice now I have typed up my post & sent it. So where is it? On Google Groups: 1184773041.958329.270430@e16g2000pri.googlegroups.com Google's been having some problems lately, maybe it's temporarily unavailable. John W. Vinson [MVP] You mean the multiple posts with subject "Cancel = true"? I see 3 of them, and Allen Browne's already provided an answer. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I...

Report Revenue (Ties to GL) by customer country
What is the best way to develop a report that displays revenue by customer country. I need the report to tie to financials & there is some direct GL entries for deferred revenue. Many thanks, GG Hi GG, The report of revenue by customer country should be pretty easy because you have the address in the sales document. You want to be sure to info from the RM files in order to pick up any trx not entered in SOP. I am probably not understanding the question because the resolution seems pretty straightforward. What issues are you running up against? Kind regards, L...

My post not posted!
A couple of times when I've posted a reply to a recent post (same day), and later tried to view it, I found the header with a line drawn through it, and the following in the message body view pane: Message is no longer available on the server Windows Live Mail is unable to retrieve the requested message because the server no longer has the message available. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- News servers regularly expire articles as they get older to make space available for newer articles. IMAP servers can be accessed by multip...

What is Office 10.1.7 vs. Update 11.2.5?
I upgraded my Office to 11.2.5 this morning and the following blurb shows up this evening on MacFixIt. I am really confused? Maybe the MacFixIt blurb is regarding an older version of Office? aRKay -------------------- Title: Office v.X 10.1.7 released: Security refinements Date: Tuesday, July 11 2006 @ 06:00 PM PDT Read the full article at http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060711190159860 -------------------- In article <REMOVEarkay-0036AF.20521112072006@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com>, aRKay <REMOVEarkay@qsl.net> wrote: > I upgraded my Office to 11.2.5 this mor...

Cannot send newsgroup post with an attachment
I can send and receive posts using Outlook Express 6 newsgroups. I do not use html. When I send a post that has an attachment, e.g. a 160kB jpg that post never shows up as having been sent. How can I fix this? regards, "nobody" I can't speak for others, but msnews has a 100KB limit. If I have a need to post a graphic, I upload it to TinyPic and post the link to it. TinyPic: http://tinypic.com/ -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "news.microsoft.com" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message ...

Exchange vs POP3
Hi, I have both Exchange (Need VPN Connection to Access the Exchange Server) and POP3 (No Need for VPN) accounts for emails... I normally surf the Web without VPN connection, therefore, when I open Outlook, it opens up the default profile and then due to the fact that the Exchange server is not accessible without VPN, it pops and asks me to work offline... I fogot what I did last time that I didn't have to click "Retry" or "Work Offline" and Outlook checks my POP3 accounts automatically...anyone knows how to fix this??? Thanks a lot, J- ...