PO Process

I am looking for a bit of advice today.  My situation concerns PO's.

For example, I have the following line items on a PO:
Item ABC with a qty of 25 and a unit price of $20
Item ZYX with a qty of 1 and a unit price or $100

Next I receive 24 units of ABC at $22 & 1 unit of ZYX at $100/unit.  At this
point we would consider the PO fully received.

My question is how to deal with the remaining 1 unit left on the PO that
will never be received.

Do I go to:
Transactions > Purchasing > Purchase Order Entry
Or
Transactions > Purchasing > Edit Purchase Orders

What implications are there with each method?

Thank you for your help
GP9.0 sp3
--
Christian S
South Carolina

Editing the PO numbers through Purchase Order Entry may distort the truth.
You can either reduce the quantity ordered (which will show in history that
you ordered less than you did) or you can cancel the balance (perhaps you did
not cancel but just accepted the vendor's shipment.

If you are tracking vendor performance, you want to know what you ordered vs
what they delivered.  Going into Edit Purchase Orders you can simply close
the lines as received and history will show you ordered 25 and received (not
canceled) 22 et cetera.  Vendor performance is preserved.

This issues are covered in our book Understanding Purchase Order Processing.
 Its not just another text on filling in the fields :)

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Christian S" wrote:

> I am looking for a bit of advice today.  My situation concerns PO's.
>
> For example, I have the following line items on a PO:
> Item ABC with a qty of 25 and a unit price of $20
> Item ZYX with a qty of 1 and a unit price or $100
>
> Next I receive 24 units of ABC at $22 & 1 unit of ZYX at $100/unit.  At this
> point we would consider the PO fully received.
>
> My question is how to deal with the remaining 1 unit left on the PO that
> will never be received.
>
> Do I go to:
> Transactions > Purchasing > Purchase Order Entry
> Or
> Transactions > Purchasing > Edit Purchase Orders
>
> What implications are there with each method?
>
> Thank you for your help
> GP9.0 sp3
> --
> Christian S
> South Carolina

0
info4071 (3004)
12/2/2008 12:24:02 AM
Thanks for your response Richard.

I don't know if this changes the situation but we sell bulk landscape
products and when buying based on weights we are unable to guess correctly.
We have to use average load quantities for our orders. ie, order 25 tons,
receive 24.35 or 25.74.  We will always have to edit these PO's to some
degree.

I am trying to limit some problems end users have been created using Edit
Purchase Order.

I initially thought Edit Purchase Order was the best place but I wanted to
see what the newsgroup had to offer.

Thanks again.  I do own many of your books.  You have done an excellent job!

--
Christian S
South Carolina

"Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:

> Editing the PO numbers through Purchase Order Entry may distort the truth.
> You can either reduce the quantity ordered (which will show in history that
> you ordered less than you did) or you can cancel the balance (perhaps you did
> not cancel but just accepted the vendor's shipment.
>
> If you are tracking vendor performance, you want to know what you ordered vs
> what they delivered.  Going into Edit Purchase Orders you can simply close
> the lines as received and history will show you ordered 25 and received (not
> canceled) 22 et cetera.  Vendor performance is preserved.
>
> This issues are covered in our book Understanding Purchase Order Processing.
>  Its not just another text on filling in the fields :)
>

> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "Christian S" wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a bit of advice today.  My situation concerns PO's.
> >
> > For example, I have the following line items on a PO:
> > Item ABC with a qty of 25 and a unit price of $20
> > Item ZYX with a qty of 1 and a unit price or $100
> >
> > Next I receive 24 units of ABC at $22 & 1 unit of ZYX at $100/unit.  At this
> > point we would consider the PO fully received.
> >
> > My question is how to deal with the remaining 1 unit left on the PO that
> > will never be received.
> >
> > Do I go to:
> > Transactions > Purchasing > Purchase Order Entry
> > Or
> > Transactions > Purchasing > Edit Purchase Orders
> >
> > What implications are there with each method?
> >
> > Thank you for your help
> > GP9.0 sp3
> > --
> > Christian S
> > South Carolina

Christian, you could periodically (monthly?) run a script to close the
open PO lines older than a certain date.  This would eliminate the
need to edit the POs manually and eliminate clerical errors.

As long as the quantity invoiced matches the quantity received, there
shouldn't be any GL transactions created.  However, if there are
mismatches that create entries, you can choose to post or delete the
GL batch created as a result of closing the POs if you want no GL
impact.

I've recently done this for a client using Word's mail merge function
on the open PO line items to create the script.  Shoot me an email if
you'd like more details.

Frank Hamelly
MCP-GP, MCT, MVP
East Coast Dynamics
www.eastcoast-dynamics.com

0
fhamelly1 (1404)
12/2/2008 2:21:31 AM
Thanks for the kind comments.  I stand by my process although in your case
the analysis will show how close YOUR team comes to ordering correctly.  It
is a good metric to have.

--

"Christian S" wrote:

> Thanks for your response Richard.
>
> I don't know if this changes the situation but we sell bulk landscape
> products and when buying based on weights we are unable to guess correctly.
> We have to use average load quantities for our orders. ie, order 25 tons,
> receive 24.35 or 25.74.  We will always have to edit these PO's to some
> degree.
>
> I am trying to limit some problems end users have been created using Edit
> Purchase Order.
>
> I initially thought Edit Purchase Order was the best place but I wanted to
> see what the newsgroup had to offer.
>
> Thanks again.  I do own many of your books.  You have done an excellent job!
>
> --
> Christian S
> South Carolina
>

> "Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:
>
> > Editing the PO numbers through Purchase Order Entry may distort the truth.
> > You can either reduce the quantity ordered (which will show in history that
> > you ordered less than you did) or you can cancel the balance (perhaps you did
> > not cancel but just accepted the vendor's shipment.
> >
> > If you are tracking vendor performance, you want to know what you ordered vs
> > what they delivered.  Going into Edit Purchase Orders you can simply close
> > the lines as received and history will show you ordered 25 and received (not
> > canceled) 22 et cetera.  Vendor performance is preserved.
> >
> > This issues are covered in our book Understanding Purchase Order Processing.
> >  Its not just another text on filling in the fields :)
> >

> > --
> > Richard L. Whaley
> > Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> > Documentation for Software Users
> >
> > Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
> > http://www.AccoladePublications.com
> >

> > "Christian S" wrote:
> >
> > > I am looking for a bit of advice today.  My situation concerns PO's.
> > >
> > > For example, I have the following line items on a PO:
> > > Item ABC with a qty of 25 and a unit price of $20
> > > Item ZYX with a qty of 1 and a unit price or $100
> > >
> > > Next I receive 24 units of ABC at $22 & 1 unit of ZYX at $100/unit.  At this
> > > point we would consider the PO fully received.
> > >
> > > My question is how to deal with the remaining 1 unit left on the PO that
> > > will never be received.
> > >
> > > Do I go to:
> > > Transactions > Purchasing > Purchase Order Entry
> > > Or
> > > Transactions > Purchasing > Edit Purchase Orders
> > >
> > > What implications are there with each method?
> > >
> > > Thank you for your help
> > > GP9.0 sp3
> > > --
> > > Christian S
> > > South Carolina

0
info4071 (3004)

PO problem
We migrated from APOP to GP POP when we upgraded to 7.5. I have about 2500 PO's that are showing closed in the system but will not transfer to history. It acts like they are moving and they don't show up in the list on the next time to remove PO's but they still show up on open PO's. I have ran ck links and found no problems. I ran reconcile and got the following message "**ERROR: Qty committed in base is greater than the qty remaining to receive." and then at the end of the report it says "Purchase Order Processing data has been damaged; please rebuild th...

Cannot generate PO Number
Hi All, I am facing a problem with automatic generate PO Number, the application is working on this senario: SELECT ISNULL(MAX(CAST(RIGHT(PONumber, 7) AS INT)), 0) + 1 AS NextPONumber FROM PurchaseOrder WHERE ISNUMERIC(PONumber) <> 0 my max is '9999999', so it is generate a new one with PONumber = '10000000' then every time it is cannot generate a next one cause of '0000000' can anyone help me on this ? ...

Adding new columns in the PO contents grid?
Can anybody tell me how I can add new columns in the PO contents grid? I need to do this so I can sort the line items on the PO print out. Or is there a way to do this in the PO.XML template? ...

PO Subtotal and PO Remaining Subtotal is different
Hi: I have a problem in Purchase Order. I saw today that there is a difference between PO Subtotal and PO Remaining Subtotal. This is a new PO and there is no receiving or cancelation is done. What is the reason. Thanks ...

How to process a file in memory?
Hi i am working with Encryption and decryption. I have an encrypted file. Which i want to decrypt for further processing. But i have to decrypt it in memory file not as a hard disk file. Could anybody please let me know, how to make a memory file which will exist in in memory as long as the program is running. My decryption function signature is: void Decrypt(FILE *sourceFile, FILE *targetFile) "sourceFile" is encrypted file which i want to decrypt, and "targetFile" will be output of decryption (this must be created in memory not on hard disk) for further processing. ...

Security for the PO in the PO Preview Window
Hello: I know that, in the Security window, there is the "Document Access" Type that prevents a user from having access to POs and sales orders and so forth. But, apparently, this has no effect on the Purchase Orders Preview window. You see, there is a user who goes into SOP and utilizes the SOP to POP link to create POs. In the Purchase Orders Preview window, she has a message at the bottom of the window saying "You do not have access to this document type". And, because of this, she cannot generate a PO. She has access to the items listed in the "Document T...

PO Approvals and Receivings
We have been using Purchase Order Enhancements without any problem but after deleting some users we have problems with PO Approvals. Whenever any item is received against a PO the PO goes to an unapproved status. We get an error msg 'The PO has exceeded your Approval Authority Amount and will be saved as unapproved'. Thanks shaista ...

PO Invoice Posting Journal
There are clients who save their posting journals who wish to in addition to the IV Variance report have the transactions Marked that there were Purchase Price/Cost Variances on the Purchase Order Invoice Posting Journal (when the items received previously cost is different from the Invoiced Cost). The desired issue is to have the report have a check mark indicating in a column that there was a variance when the transaction was posted. Report Writer does not allow this due to the table linking and the customer does not want to pursue Crystal Reports options. ---------------- This post ...

Are there two same processes running
Hi, everybody I've created my MFC project under VS 6. It runs as an .exe file. I don't want to allow two instances of my program running on the same machine at the same time. Is there any way while starting my program to check, if another same .exe is running? Thank you, alex An usual way for do this is to use a global mutex with name and check its state when application starts. See this code fragment... int APIENTRY WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow) { // Other code... // Try to create the named gobal mutex HAND...

WorkFlow Error when submitting PO for Approval
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C9A8AC.A3DCD610 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello Everyone, I have installed, setup and configured WorkFlow in GP 10.o with SP 3 and = everything seem fine and working except that when I create a PO and = submit for approval, the GP responds back with an error message saying " = A WorkFlow error occurred on PO # ?????? . Please review the document = and resubmit if necessary". Any help would be appreciated highly ------=_NextPart_000...

winword.exe process????
Sometimes, when I open MS Outlook 2000 I see that the pc works very slow. If I go to the Task Administrator, I see that the process winword.exe is running and working with more than 70% of cpu. The MS Word is closed. I know I've MS Word like a mail editor to write mails... but only opening Outlook it happens that situation. Any suggestion / solution? Thanks, Oscar ...

Problem with Recovery Mail Store Process
Running Exchange and windows server 2003; Trying to recover a lost email from backup. have created the Recovery mail store, and database. Run the backup restore from a windows server that does not have exchange on it. Backup appears to run ok, no errors in report, Get to running the hard recovery from a command prompt and get the message, " Eseutil /cc not recognized" I'm at a loss what to do. Have the various documents on using the recovery mail store process and admin of Exchange server but am obviously missing something very basic. Help is greatly appreciated. Thank...

Exporting PO
Hello everybody. I am trying to export only the POs from RMS to Quickbooks.I have check the reports, but there is no one that shows me the POs in detail (Supplier, Items and Costs) Does anyone have idea if there is a way to do this? thanks in advance... Juan And the name of those reports would be....??? "Gerd" wrote: > Here are 2 reports i use(d) for our QB interface. > > > "JuanSe" <JuanSe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:182242C6-09CB-4793-A95A-00CDB577167C@microsoft.com... > > Hello everybody. > > > > I ...

PO amount different on PO Entry screen from printed PO
Hi, We have a problem that seems to happen every month. In the Purchase Order Entry window, the subtotal on this one particular PO is $590,776.35. However if we print the PO, the subtotal amount on the printed PO is only $472,451.66. The only seems to happen on random PO's and we can't figure out why. It's starting to annoy our Purchasing department... Ideas? Thanks, --Nathan Nathan, What version and service pack of GP? Are there PO's entered manually or imported? Is the PO report modified? Are there typically a lot of changes to the PO's that this happens to?...

GP V10 Payables Process Remittance
The GP process remittance window pops-up if there are any checks that have invoices/records > 12 on the check stub. We had to modify the footer - Check & Hdr by setting the Records per Report Body to 11. (Check Format is stub top bottom graphical) How do we change the GP process remittance window so that it opens if there are invoices/records > 11 on the check stub? -- RobertShap ...

Running processes
Hello, I'm using VC 6. Is there a Win98/xp/Vista equivalent to EnumProcesses()? MSDN says that EnumProcesses() is only supported under NT. I want to know what applications are running, regardless of whether their top-level window is open, minimized to the task bar or in the system tray. Thanks, Dan MSDN doesn't say it is only for NT. Look here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682629(VS.85).aspx -SM So let me rephrase. Windows 98 does not support EnumProcesses. How, then, do I get the information I'm looking for as stated in my initial question: "I'm using ...

Multiple Receiving Trx for single PO
Hi, Hope you are doing great. Please help me out to solve the following issue: GP9 accepted Shipment/Invoice twice against same PO. First Shipment/Invoice received full qty and all item. PO Status for that PO is not changed from received to closed after posting the Receiving Trx. Still the PO status is 'Received' and allowing the same PO to receive against new Receiving Trx.I have run check link and Reconcile it's not corrected, Payable aged report showing two invoices against same document no. Am I missing any POP setup or is it the latest feature? Because I am getting th...

MO and PO SQL table locking?
Would anyone be aware if there is a way to identifiy if someone is currently viewing a record thru GP with some form of table idenitifier or does GP invoke a SQL physical lock on the record? Any feed back would be great! You could check the table SY00800 and SY00801. >-----Original Message----- >Would anyone be aware if there is a way to identifiy if >someone is currently viewing a record thru GP with some >form of table idenitifier or does GP invoke a SQL physical >lock on the record? > >Any feed back would be great! > > >. > PERFECT - Thanks! &g...

Update of PO Quantities after PO Return
When a user enters a Return transaction against a PO Receipt in the PO Enhancements module, the stock quantity of the item is updated appropriately. However no changes are made to the original PO quantities. If you issue a PO to a vendor to buy 50 of an item, and then receive 20, the PO says that 20 have been "previously shipped", and the remaining 30 are stored in a field I found in Smartlist called Uncommitted Quantity in Base. If you then return the initial 20 to the vendor, GP will take the 20 out of stock, but the PO still says 20 have been received, and the vendor on...

Allow entry of drop ship type PO's on discontinued type inventory.
In 2006, our company is no longer in the parts business, so we don't carry parts items in our warehouse, however the manufacturer still carries the items. In order to remove them from our inventory database these items must be tagged as type "discontinued" and have no quantity on hand, available or allocated. At year end I was able to purge many of these items, however some parts inventory was still on hand at 12/31/05. We sold these quanitites in 2006 to deplete our inventory, but now we only want to drop ship these parts to our customers instead of carrying them in ou...

Change site during Creation of PO
Our customer would like to be able to change the site during creation of PO under Create PO window. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=bd27c7e4-6930-4e50-92a5-...

PO notes to POP PO Blank Form
There is a TK, 858264, that tells how to add notes to the POP Blank form. Is there a limit to how many notes you can add this way? I have added 14, but when I add the 15th I get an illegal syntax error. Is there a limit to the number of notes I can add? thanks -- Doug Doug, I believe this is a limitation of the PO report itself. We had trouble in the past when trying to link to many tables, or place to much data in the PO report. We would get the same error you are receiving. "Doug" wrote: > There is a TK, 858264, that tells how to add notes to the POP Blank form....

SoapException: Server was unable to process request when using CRM over a VPN.
One of my users accesses CRM over a VPN link. Intermittently he gets the above problem. The detail is: SoapException: Server was unable to process request.] System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) +1495 System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) +217 Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Proxy.TaskWebService.Update(Task task) +55 Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.Task.OMUpdate() +42 Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappe...

Error when closing Process Server
I am getting an error when closing the Process Server. The error title bar: DDE Server Window: Dynamics.exe - Application Error Error Message: The exception unknown software exception (0xc00200001) occurred in the application at location 0x77e4bee7. Click on OK to terminate the program Has anyone seen this error before, or know how to correct? Windows 2003 Server, GP10 sp2... ...

Roll Back PO after voiding a PO invoice
Does anyone know if there's any tool or program that would allow a PO to automatically roll back the amount of the PO invoice which was voided? For example, a PO was received against and invoiced in Purchase Order. Then, the invoice is voided in Payables Management. What we would like to see is that the receipt would be voided as well and that the PO will roll back the amount of the receipt so that it can be received again. ...