Passwords work only when issued from the GP instance they're set f

Database is:  "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4035.00 (X64) on Windows 2008
Build 6002: Service Pack 2 64-bit.

Dynamics is deployed via Terminal Services on a Windows 2003 SP2 32-bit
server.

Dynamics was installed on both servers using the base v10 CDs and then
upgraded to the lates pre SP4 hotfix 10.00.1328 (KB971014) on both servers.

Now the weird part. I can log in as 'sa' on both servers no problem.
However, if I login to Dynamics on the TS as 'sa' and reset my password, I
can log into the TS with my username & password but can't login from GP on
the SQL.

If I log into GP on SQL as 'sa' and reset my password yet again, I can then
log into GP on SQL but not on the TS.  This appears to be for any user
including DYNSA.

Finally, I have also changed my password directly from the MSSMS and can't
login to either Dynamics instance (I assume this is because when setting the
password from within Dynamics, it gets encrypted or similar).

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

____________________
Ryan Hobbs
Systems Administrator
0
RyanHobbs (9)

GP encrypts the passwords.  Part of the information it uses as a key to
encrypt the passwords is the name of the ODBC used to connect to the server.

So, if you are using different ODBC connections to connect to the server,
the passwords, except SA, will not work.

You need to ensure that all ODBC's have the same name.

And, no, you cannot create passwords from SQL since the encryption is
created by GP.
--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Ryan Hobbs" wrote:

> Database is:  "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4035.00 (X64) on Windows 2008
> Build 6002: Service Pack 2 64-bit.
>
> Dynamics is deployed via Terminal Services on a Windows 2003 SP2 32-bit
> server.
>
> Dynamics was installed on both servers using the base v10 CDs and then
> upgraded to the lates pre SP4 hotfix 10.00.1328 (KB971014) on both servers.
>
> Now the weird part. I can log in as 'sa' on both servers no problem.
> However, if I login to Dynamics on the TS as 'sa' and reset my password, I
> can log into the TS with my username & password but can't login from GP on
> the SQL.
>
> If I log into GP on SQL as 'sa' and reset my password yet again, I can then
> log into GP on SQL but not on the TS.  This appears to be for any user
> including DYNSA.
>
> Finally, I have also changed my password directly from the MSSMS and can't
> login to either Dynamics instance (I assume this is because when setting the
> password from within Dynamics, it gets encrypted or similar).
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
>
> ____________________
> Ryan Hobbs
> Systems Administrator
0
info4071 (3004)
9/2/2009 9:39:02 PM
Richard:
Thanks for the prompt reply. That is good info to know, so what if I told
you both server system DSN's are named "Dynamics". (not a real "what-if", as
they are in fact..)

I do see that both servers have a different SQL Native client driver
version.. perhaps that is at play?

--
____________________
Ryan Hobbs

"Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:

> GP encrypts the passwords.  Part of the information it uses as a key to
> encrypt the passwords is the name of the ODBC used to connect to the server.
>
> So, if you are using different ODBC connections to connect to the server,
> the passwords, except SA, will not work.
>
> You need to ensure that all ODBC's have the same name.
>
> And, no, you cannot create passwords from SQL since the encryption is
> created by GP.
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "Ryan Hobbs" wrote:
>
> > Database is:  "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4035.00 (X64) on Windows 2008
> > Build 6002: Service Pack 2 64-bit.
> >
> > Dynamics is deployed via Terminal Services on a Windows 2003 SP2 32-bit
> > server.
> >
> > Dynamics was installed on both servers using the base v10 CDs and then
> > upgraded to the lates pre SP4 hotfix 10.00.1328 (KB971014) on both servers.
> >
> > Now the weird part. I can log in as 'sa' on both servers no problem.
> > However, if I login to Dynamics on the TS as 'sa' and reset my password, I
> > can log into the TS with my username & password but can't login from GP on
> > the SQL.
> >
> > If I log into GP on SQL as 'sa' and reset my password yet again, I can then
> > log into GP on SQL but not on the TS.  This appears to be for any user
> > including DYNSA.
> >
> > Finally, I have also changed my password directly from the MSSMS and can't
> > login to either Dynamics instance (I assume this is because when setting the
> > password from within Dynamics, it gets encrypted or similar).
> >
> > Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
> >
> > ____________________
> > Ryan Hobbs
> > Systems Administrator
0
RyanHobbs (9)
9/2/2009 10:16:01 PM
I make it a practice now to make the ODBC connections identical.  It just
stopped such problems for me.

I use the same version of the same driver, the same name, et cetera.

Check the spelling, capitalization, and for any special characters
(including blanks) in the ODBC name if nothing else works.
--

"Ryan Hobbs" wrote:

> Richard:
> Thanks for the prompt reply. That is good info to know, so what if I told
> you both server system DSN's are named "Dynamics". (not a real "what-if", as
> they are in fact..)
>
> I do see that both servers have a different SQL Native client driver
> version.. perhaps that is at play?
>
> --
> ____________________
> Ryan Hobbs
> Systems Administrator
>

> "Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:
>
> > GP encrypts the passwords.  Part of the information it uses as a key to
> > encrypt the passwords is the name of the ODBC used to connect to the server.
> >
> > So, if you are using different ODBC connections to connect to the server,
> > the passwords, except SA, will not work.
> >
> > You need to ensure that all ODBC's have the same name.
> >
> > And, no, you cannot create passwords from SQL since the encryption is
> > created by GP.
> > --
> > Richard L. Whaley
> > Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> > Documentation for Software Users
> >
> > Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
> > http://www.AccoladePublications.com
> >

> > "Ryan Hobbs" wrote:
> >
> > > Database is:  "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4035.00 (X64) on Windows 2008
> > > Build 6002: Service Pack 2 64-bit.
> > >
> > > Dynamics is deployed via Terminal Services on a Windows 2003 SP2 32-bit
> > > server.
> > >
> > > Dynamics was installed on both servers using the base v10 CDs and then
> > > upgraded to the lates pre SP4 hotfix 10.00.1328 (KB971014) on both servers.
> > >
> > > Now the weird part. I can log in as 'sa' on both servers no problem.
> > > However, if I login to Dynamics on the TS as 'sa' and reset my password, I
> > > can log into the TS with my username & password but can't login from GP on
> > > the SQL.
> > >
> > > If I log into GP on SQL as 'sa' and reset my password yet again, I can then
> > > log into GP on SQL but not on the TS.  This appears to be for any user
> > > including DYNSA.
> > >
> > > Finally, I have also changed my password directly from the MSSMS and can't
> > > login to either Dynamics instance (I assume this is because when setting the
> > > password from within Dynamics, it gets encrypted or similar).
> > >
> > > Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
> > >
> > > ____________________
> > > Ryan Hobbs
> > > Systems Administrator
0
info4071 (3004)
9/3/2009 2:01:03 AM
Just adding to Richard's inputs, have a look at this article:

http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/10/02/why-does-microsoft-dynamics-gp-encrypt-passwords.aspx

This may give you as many details as needed.

--
Thanks
Vaidy Mohan

"Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:

> I make it a practice now to make the ODBC connections identical.  It just
> stopped such problems for me.
>
> I use the same version of the same driver, the same name, et cetera.
>
> Check the spelling, capitalization, and for any special characters
> (including blanks) in the ODBC name if nothing else works.
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "Ryan Hobbs" wrote:
>
> > Richard:
> > Thanks for the prompt reply. That is good info to know, so what if I told
> > you both server system DSN's are named "Dynamics". (not a real "what-if", as
> > they are in fact..)
> >
> > I do see that both servers have a different SQL Native client driver
> > version.. perhaps that is at play?
> >
> > --
> > ____________________
> > Ryan Hobbs
> > Systems Administrator
> >

> > "Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:
> >
> > > GP encrypts the passwords.  Part of the information it uses as a key to
> > > encrypt the passwords is the name of the ODBC used to connect to the server.
> > >
> > > So, if you are using different ODBC connections to connect to the server,
> > > the passwords, except SA, will not work.
> > >
> > > You need to ensure that all ODBC's have the same name.
> > >
> > > And, no, you cannot create passwords from SQL since the encryption is
> > > created by GP.
> > > --
> > > Richard L. Whaley
> > > Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> > > Documentation for Software Users
> > >
> > > Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
> > > http://www.AccoladePublications.com

0
VaidyMohan (20)
9/3/2009 6:49:01 AM
Vaidy:

Thanks for the link. That answered the real issue. From the article you
linked:
"The algorithm includes the User ID (case sensitive) and the Server name
from the ODBC DSN (not case sensitive) in the encryption key."

So, it is the server name used in the DSN and _not_ the DSN name itself.
Looks like our terminal server's ODBC source name was hard-coded IP address
and not a DNS computer name. That answers that!

--
____________________
Ryan Hobbs

"Vaidy Mohan" wrote:

> Just adding to Richard's inputs, have a look at this article:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/10/02/why-does-microsoft-dynamics-gp-encrypt-passwords.aspx
>
> This may give you as many details as needed.
>
> --
> Thanks
> Vaidy Mohan
> www.vaidy-dyngp.com
>

> "Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:
>
> > I make it a practice now to make the ODBC connections identical.  It just
> > stopped such problems for me.
> >
> > I use the same version of the same driver, the same name, et cetera.
> >
> > Check the spelling, capitalization, and for any special characters
> > (including blanks) in the ODBC name if nothing else works.
> > --
> > Richard L. Whaley
> > Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> > Documentation for Software Users
> >
> > Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
> > http://www.AccoladePublications.com
> >

> > "Ryan Hobbs" wrote:
> >
> > > Richard:
> > > Thanks for the prompt reply. That is good info to know, so what if I told
> > > you both server system DSN's are named "Dynamics". (not a real "what-if", as
> > > they are in fact..)
> > >
> > > I do see that both servers have a different SQL Native client driver
> > > version.. perhaps that is at play?
> > >
> > > --
> > > ____________________
> > > Ryan Hobbs
> > > Systems Administrator

0
RyanHobbs (9)

Having issues handling combo-box
I have a combo-box. I want to allow folks to enter by typing OR use the mouse to click on the dropdown. If they type I want it to auto-complete - that is no problem as the drop list style handles this. Where my problem arises is that when they pick the one they want I then need to know so I can do some added processing. I could handle the kill focus for when they type but that causes confusion when they use the mouse. What I want to be able to do is recognize when they hit <Enter> and act in a manner similar to that used when they use the mouse to pick an entry. The other possibili...

Password Protect Two Sub-contact Lists
Hi everyone! I have a regular contact list, and within this list I have two subcontact lists. One is personal, and the other is personal business. How can I password protect the personal and personal business lists? Thanks for any help! Sorry, I just realized that there's a newsgroup dedicated to contacts. I'll post this there. Thanks! Nick2112@sympatico.ca wrote: > Hi everyone! > > I have a regular contact list, and within this list I have two > subcontact lists. One is personal, and the other is personal business. > How can I password protect the personal and...

Passwords #5
I would like to password protect a workbook so that when the workbook is selected to open a dialog box pops up asking for the password and after the password is entered correctly the workbook will then open. Thanks for the the help. Todd Todd, do a save as and look under options, depending on what version you are using and set a password to open -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 97 & 2000 ** remove news from my email address t...

Granted access, not working!
Hi all, i want to configure a client which is login on as userA and want's to send mail as userA and userB. In the mailbox rights of userB, I added userA with full mailbox access ALLOW, but, everytime I try to send mail through userB, I get the message, you don't have priveleges to send messages throught this account. I have the same situation with other accounts, ant it works fine. Does anyone knows what can I do to solve this problem?? Thank you very much. Filipa Gaudêncio Grant "Send As" permission as well. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT --------------------------...

Blank Work area with Formula Bar
We've got a mahine that came in with a Blank work area in Excel 2000. Menus, Standard and Formatting toolbars and Status bar are visible, but nothing else. What I have discovered is that if I turn off the Formula bar, then I can see the column / row labels. Except that I only see column A...it is as if column A is infinitely wide. Check the column width value - 0, change it to 20, no effect and doesn't keep the 20 value.... Anyone seen these symptoms? ...

Passwords
Hi, I have a password field in a database. How do I set it so that a user can only type in 7 characters for a password. and if they type more an error message will appear? Please hi, Daz01 wrote: > Hi, I have a password field in a database. How do I set it so that a > user can only type in 7 characters for a password. and if they type > more an error message will appear? You may use the ValidationRule and ValidationText of the field in the table design view. Setting ValidationRule to Len([YourField])>7) will raise an error in your case. mfG --> stefan <-- ...

Keep user passwords
Hi! We've just finished installing a new Exchange server and connecting it to a separate DC. We used to have everything on the same server but we'd like to be able to scale our solution better in the future - therefore the new setup. Users are primarily connecting to Exchange by means of RPC over HTTP from clients that are not part of our AD. The old setup allowed users to save passwords if they configured their clients to use NTLM authentication and followed the directions in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;820281. This worked both for RPC...

How to retrive password protected worksheet but forgot password?
I password protected an Excel spreadsheet and now can't remember the password. Is there any way that I can gain access to my worksheet? There are tons of FREE good Excel password 'cracking' tools. Your favorite search engine should get about a gazillion hits on a phrase like "crack excel password" or "excel password cracker". A good one that many report great success with can be found at: http://www.straxx.com/excel/password.html "Laurie" wrote: > I password protected an Excel spreadsheet and now can't remember the > p...

Issue since Rollup 1 applied
Since applying Rollup 1 yesterday, we experience the followng error: "Failed move data for entity 'Contact' during sainsert. countRow=1" Searching I find suggestions that this is an issue Rollup 1 will resolve. In this case it was working fine UNTIL we applied the rollup. Any suggestions are appreciated. It appears to be a problem that crops up after the rollup is applied. I had the same problem. Check out my blog, www.ts2community.com/blogs/larrylentz for more info on how to resolve it. -- Larry Lentz [CRM MVP] MCSE+I, MCSE W2K, MCDBA, MCSA Messaging Lentz Computer...

Password
I am working with publisher 2007. I finished my site last Dec. and went to make changes. It is not letting me make changes because it does not like my password. I can not figure out how to go in a reset everything from my provider. Any suggestions. I was also trying to see if I could find web publishing wizard, which doesn't seem to exsist with 2007. Thanks If you are saying you forgot your password then contact the ISP Tech Support and they will reset the password to something like 1 2 3 4 or something other that is very simple. They will also instruct you to change it to somethin...

Shared Workbook Settings, End User Update Changes Refresh Rate
How can I change the default update change refresh rate on PC's that are accessing a shared file? (currently set for 15 minutes, I need 5 Minutes by default). I know how to change it in the share workbook menu for each session, I need to have it always be 5 minutes so that it won't need to be changed each file opening.... ...

Business units and user security issue
I created a BU for the Flooring dept. I then created a BU for sales w/ it's parent account as the Flooring dept. What do I have to set the user security to so that the user can only see his/her contacts and no one else's in the BU? You should create a new security role which does allow the user to only see contacts. that means that the security should be set to 'user' for viewing contacts. I guess that you do want your users to also be able to store the contacts etc. Just take a close look at the security settings. When you are satisfied with your role, you can give th...

Message Rules Have Stopped Working
Hello...I am running Outlook XP on Windows XP. A while back, I upgraded to Office 2K3 then later decided to move back to Office XP. Since doing so, my Outlook message rules have ceased to function. They are still listed, but Outlook ignores them like they don't exist. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook to no avail. What can I do to get them working again. Thanks for any advice! ...

Spreadsheet password protection
How do you password protect a spreadsheet. I can't find anything in the help section. You can prevent un authorised access by giving a password to open the workbook itself, so that no one else can open it (Go to Tools, Options and then Security Tab). You can do it there if you have already saved the file, or you can go to "save as" then "Tools" and "General Options" where you can give password. On the other hand you can protect work sheets and ranges for different people by using "Tools" and then "Protection" Tab -- M Imran Buha...

Compatibility Pack settings?
I can open a 2007 xlsx with 2003 by double clicking the file, but if I'm already in 2003 and use OPEN and navigate to a 2007 file, I can't open it. Is there somewhere that I can enable the compatibility pack automatically when excel 2003 opens to allow this? TIA Try downloading this compatibility pack (see link below). Once it is downloaded you should be able to open the 2007 Excel files. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en "BABs" wrote: > I can open a 2007 xlsx with 2003...

Change Password Next Login, Enforce Password Policy and Expiration
I'm curious why are the Change Password Next Login, Enforce Password Policy and Enforce Password Expiration is diabled in Greatplains 8.0 when i create a user. my client want to know how to enable it. hope for your prompt action. -- Jeremy Ayaay Technical Specialist STRC Only works for SQL 2005. If you client wants to use a beta database server... "Jher" wrote: > I'm curious why are the Change Password Next Login, Enforce Password Policy > and Enforce Password Expiration is diabled in Greatplains 8.0 when i create a > user. my client want to know how to enab...

Passwords #3
Using outlook2002. For some reason, it will not store the password. I have checked the box that says "remember password", but, each time I try to log in. It will ask me for it. Any ideas. I am thinking about recreating the profile for thismailbox. I am a consultant, and my customer doesn't know how (or won't write down what I tell them) to do this. Thanks ...

Outlook 2003 disconnected from server then hang issue
Hello everyone and thank you for reading my post! CLIENT INFORMATION: -Dell Latitude C840 (P4 1.7Ghz, 512MB, 30GB) -Windows XP Pro SP1a -Microsoft Office 2003 Pro SERVER INFORMATION: -Compaq ML530G2 (Dual P4 Xeon, 1GB, 60GB) RAID 5 -Windows 2000 Server SP4 -Exchange 2000 SP3 w/ Post SP3 Rollup This client is having send/receive issues with Outlook 2003... He is configured to use cached exchange mode and is set to login with the default: "Kerberos/NTLM Password Authentication" This person uses the Cisco VPN Dialer to connect to the corporate network (Cisco PIX 515e) and once c...

Does Office 2007 work on Windows 7?
I just upgraded to Windows 7 and have Office 2007. Do Office 2007 products work on Windows 7 Operating System? Yes "Fetzer2" <Fetzer2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6962F239-77EF-4461-B59F-0DA98D427488@microsoft.com... >I just upgraded to Windows 7 and have Office 2007. Do Office 2007 products > work on Windows 7 Operating System? Do you really think Microsoft would release a new Operating System that would be incompatible with their best selling software ? "Fetzer2" <Fetzer2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Working out time from days and hors worked
Hi Guys, I'm a novice to excel and am trying to make up a leave form. I have column for time leave started (in hours) the next column is the dat next column is time returned (in hours) then next column is dat returned. I also have set up a list of public holidays. I then have column to count the number of days taken as leave usin =networkdays(startday, endday, holidays). This is fine if people ar taking off whole days, but can anyone suggest how I can take int account people who will insist on taking half day leave (which is why have the hours columns)? Cheers Henr -- henr ----------...

Setting DropDownList default question
Is it possible to set the last item in a DropDownList as the default, and if so how? *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** "Mike P" <mike.parr@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%238y4y%23h4KHA.5848@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to set the last item in a DropDownList as the default, > and if so how? There is no such thing as a "default" item in a drop down list. If you simply want to make the last item in the list the SELECTED item, then do myListBox.SelectedIndex = myListBox.Items.Count - 1; This ass...

password prompt when no password is set.
thru a series of unfortunate events I had to reinstall my os and all of my programs. I was using ms money 2000. I have always kept the main *.mny file but lost my backups. When i reinstalled money and tried to open my mny file I get a password prompt. I have never password protected the file and when i tried to run a password recovery program it says "no password set". I do have older backups of this file but they are too old to be of much use. But i am able to access them. any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks BRC The password prompt often appears when you open a dataset m...

Log on issues
I did a fresh install of Win XP Pro 3 days ago as Administrator only with no users and no passwords. No problems. I could boot up and windows would load fully with no log on screen. Just the way I wanted. Boot up - leave the room - come back and it is up and running. Without doing anything except full updates, suddenly when Windows boots I have a log in screen to Ron Patterson (me) user account. If I Start\Run "control userpasswords2" to boot to admin acct. - when it boots up only @ 30% of my programs are installed and none of my previous settings. How does Wi...

Network password #9
I don't use passwords and now i am prompted to enter a network password or my computer will not connect to email account. Any thoughts If you are still having problems after applying both the SP 1 & 2 patches, then see if this article addresses your problemL OL2002: The Save Password Setting Is Not Saved When You Connect to a POP3 Server http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290684 --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal accoun...

Password Problem #9
I continioulsy get a popup that says "Enter Network Password" the box show my server, username and password. this box pop up every few seconds. My intenet provider (TimeWarner) says this is an Outlook problem. does anyone have a solution? Thanks -- MikeM "MikeM" <MikeM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27BD7829-84BD-44BD-9114-3FF4D453BD72@microsoft.com... > I continioulsy get a popup that says "Enter Network Password" the box > show > my server, username and password. > > this box pop up every few seconds. My inten...