New Server Setup Project Plan

I am looking for a project plan to install Great Plains 7.5 on a brand new
Windows 2000 server and move data from existing server to the new server.
0
Shariq (272)

I've done a couple migrations. There are some script tricks to help transfer
logins etc.

Tell me this first:

What version of SQL Server is on the old server? What version of Great
Plains? Are you going from like to like, or do you have upgrades to
accomplish as well?

"Shariq" wrote:

> I am looking for a project plan to install Great Plains 7.5 on a brand new
> Windows 2000 server and move data from existing server to the new server.
SQL Server 2000 on both servers
Great Plains 7.5 on both server

We are not looking to upgrade our current version 7.5.

"Cindy Lange" wrote:

> I've done a couple migrations. There are some script tricks to help transfer
> logins etc.
>
> Tell me this first:
>
> What version of SQL Server is on the old server? What version of Great
> Plains? Are you going from like to like, or do you have upgrades to
> accomplish as well?
>
> "Shariq" wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a project plan to install Great Plains 7.5 on a brand new
> > Windows 2000 server and move data from existing server to the new server.
1
Shariq (272)
10/7/2005 5:57:09 PM
Install Great Plains ap for server on the new server. Install any additional
modules, updates, etc. Don't create the test company or any other companies.

Drop Dynamics from the database.

For your old dbs, some people prefer using the DTS copy database method, but
I have always had better luck copying the database files from the old server
(SQL server stopped of course) to the new, and then attaching the files to
the new server's master database.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246133

Link explains how to transfer logins from one 2000 sql server to another. DO
NOT use the DTS method as it will orphan your database users. (The note under
that method will explain why.)  You want the 'Create and Run Stored
Procedures in the Master Database' scripting method.

This article is about SQL Server's account transfer; what about the GP
Security transfer and Company setyp?

"Cindy Lange" wrote:

> Install Great Plains ap for server on the new server. Install any additional
> modules, updates, etc. Don't create the test company or any other companies.
>
> Drop Dynamics from the database.
>
> For your old dbs, some people prefer using the DTS copy database method, but
> I have always had better luck copying the database files from the old server
> (SQL server stopped of course) to the new, and then attaching the files to
> the new server's master database.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246133
>
> Link explains how to transfer logins from one 2000 sql server to another. DO
> NOT use the DTS method as it will orphan your database users. (The note under
> that method will explain why.)  You want the 'Create and Run Stored
> Procedures in the Master Database' scripting method.

0
Shariq (272)
10/7/2005 8:27:05 PM
Where is the attached file?

"Andrew Ferraro" wrote:

> Shariq,
>
> Good morning.  I have done the about 15 times for various sized
> implementations and have found the following method works best:
>
>  I have attached a zip file which contains instructions and a tech doc on
> moving the SQL and GP data, user id's and security.
> The scripts are numbered in the order in which they need to be run.  Also is
> several of the scripts you will need to manually change the company database
> names.  The tech doc explains step by step.  The Grant70.sql script may not
> be the one you want to run.  Check for a Grant script in the SQL/util folder
> on your new server install.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andrew
>

> "Shariq" <Shariq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This article is about SQL Server's account transfer; what about the GP
> > Security transfer and Company setyp?
> >
> > "Cindy Lange" wrote:
> >
> > > Install Great Plains ap for server on the new server. Install any
> additional
> > > modules, updates, etc. Don't create the test company or any other
> companies.
> > >
> > > Drop Dynamics from the database.
> > >
> > > For your old dbs, some people prefer using the DTS copy database method,
> but
> > > I have always had better luck copying the database files from the old
> server
> > > (SQL server stopped of course) to the new, and then attaching the files
> > > the new server's master database.
> > >
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246133
> > >
> > > Link explains how to transfer logins from one 2000 sql server to
> another. DO
> > > NOT use the DTS method as it will orphan your database users. (The note
> under
> > > that method will explain why.)  You want the 'Create and Run Stored
> > > Procedures in the Master Database' scripting method.

0
Shariq (272)
10/10/2005 7:41:09 PM
Shariq,

I show it being attached.  If you send me your email address I will email to
you.  My email is andrewferraro@hotmail.com
> Where is the attached file?
>
> "Andrew Ferraro" wrote:
>
> > Shariq,
> >
> > Good morning.  I have done the about 15 times for various sized
> > implementations and have found the following method works best:
> >
> >  I have attached a zip file which contains instructions and a tech doc
on
> > moving the SQL and GP data, user id's and security.
> > The scripts are numbered in the order in which they need to be run.
Also is
> > several of the scripts you will need to manually change the company
database
> > names.  The tech doc explains step by step.  The Grant70.sql script may
not
> > be the one you want to run.  Check for a Grant script in the SQL/util
folder
> > on your new server install.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Andrew
> >

> > "Shariq" <Shariq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > This article is about SQL Server's account transfer; what about the GP
> > > Security transfer and Company setyp?

> > additional
> > companies.

> > but
> > server

> > another. DO
> > under

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

OWA2003 server side rule problem
Hi there, Exchange 2003 running on W2K3 server with BE & FE, BE is also runs AD. Now via FE's OWA, I login & create rule there to auto fwd "send only to me" emails to my personal pop3 mailbox. I found that when exchange receive emails, it did auto fwd a copy out, however my personal pop3 mailbox never receive it. From ESM msg tracking, it said at backend server, date/time SMTP Store Driver: Message Submitted from Store date/time SMTP: Message Submitted to Advanced Queuing date/time SMTP: Started Message Submission to Advanced Queue date/time SMTP: Message Submitted ...

Default properties for new folders

New Email Messages

Physically moving RAID volumes between two servers
I wasn't really sure where to post this, and I realize it isn't a Windows issue, but... We have two Dell servers (PowerEdge 2900 and PowerEdge 2900 II), but running Windows 2003. Both servers have a RAID 1 for OS and a RAID 5 for Data. I'd like to take the RAID 5 off the old server and move to the new server and retain all data. Yes, I do have a backup, but I'd prefer not to have to restore. I understand RAID data is written to the drives, so I thought maybe I could do this with little headache, but I don't have a system to try this on. Does anyone know if thi...

Seat Plan
Hi, I work in a call center and I wanted to tackle our persistent problem of running out of work stations. I was given the task of providing a seating arrangement for the whole center (imagine 900 agents and 205 different start times and days off). They gave me a floor plan in excel. My question is can I automate plotting agents on work stations by teams with different start times and different days off AND sharing of work stations. Data available is individual schedules of agents, team groupings, floor plan all in excel. Thanks in advance! -- natski ---------------------------------...

Stop SPAM from unresolvable email servers
I continually receive spam mail from servers that are unresolved through DNS. We are using Exchange Server 2000, and I have selected the setting "Perform reverse DNS lookup on incoming messages". However, I still receive email like the one shown below... Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0 Received: from mail.nelsotech.com ([192.168.0.1]by mail.nelsotech.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713); Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:28:45 -0500 Received: from -1214789064 (222.181.48.159) by mail.nelsotech.com via How do I stop these emails? They are unresolvable and I would like to proh...

New Location/New setup

How do I activate the new mail button

Style available all sheets new or old

Re: server and client threads
On 2/3/2005 1:07 PM, RSN_@_COMCAST.NET wrote to ALL: -> The server just keeps a list of threads that it spawns. Then when it -> is time to shut down, the server can signal each thread in an -> appropriate way (message, event, etc) that it should close down in an -> orderly way. Given the list of threads (handles or other identifier), -> you can also forcibly shut down any spawned thread that doesn't -> respond properly to the shutdown request. Yes, but what about the case where the connection has completed and the thread terminates. How then does the server get signa...

Setting up second virtual server/connector for smart host for only select users
I currently have one domain and SMTP virtual server defined to handle all mail including internet email. We have our own MX record. Occasionally I have one user who will need to send a mass mailing based on our customer database and this clogs the system. My thought was to define a second SMTP virtual server/connector that would route the email to a smart host (our service provider offers this service). If I could direct this specific user to use this service for the mass mailing, would it help the situation? If yes, how would I go about doing it - have the two SMTP server definitions coe...

Adding new pages

New messages comes up in Deleted folder

New User has admin rights

Failure at Microsoft.crm.setup.common.registerasyncserviceAction
Good Afternoon all-- I was wondering if anyone has seen this when installing Version 4? It is causing the install to fail, and we cannot start the Server through the deployment Management tool. The asyn service should be use by workflow and the asynchronous callouts in CRM 4.0. Are you installing it as an administrator on the local box or you installing it using the domain user account? Darren Liu, Microsoft CRM MVP Crowe http://www.crowecrm.com On Jan 2, 4:37=A0pm, stevejna <steve...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Good Afternoon all-- > > I was wondering if anyone...

Creating new row in other table
Dear All, Please teach me, how to make a new row/list in other table by entering number in other table. Sample, In the table A and in the field "Details", I put the number 2 and it automatically creates two rows in table B. Can this be done in MS Access? Thank you for your help. Regards, Maulwy Why? What business need are you attempting to solve with this approach? It's generally considered not very good database design to be creating 'empty' rows in a second table. Why do you want empty rows? And if the number you enter in TableA is a 'limit&...

AP
What would be the best tool to add a new field in the AP invoice screen to deploy to a client? Extender? Modifier? the ideal would be to add a field for "Job No." that is text info so the user can get some info out on certain jobs that they are paying bills for. thanks -- Linda W. Linda, You can use any tool, really, to accomplish this: - Modifier with VBA. You can add the fields to the window with Modifier, then use VBA and ADO or DUOS to store and retrieve the data. - Modifier with Dexterity. You can add the fields with Modifier, then trigger off the form with Dex...

Button "New Account" in Sub-Accountsview opens Parent account
When I open an account, and then go to the subaccounts of that account, I click on the Button "New Account" to create a new subaccount for this account. Instead of opening a new account form, the application opens the original Account form. Anybody an idea how this is possible? Regards, Sanne groenhof -- MSCRM, hosted as ASP, and configured for your business. Sanne, Have you installed any specific toolbars in your Internet Explorer? Like google toolbar/msn toolbar? -- Rob Bakkers, Avanade Netherlands "Sanne" wrote: > When I open an account, and then go to...