Multiple Database Files

Hello

     I am currently taking a class on MS SQL 2000.  We
currently have Great Plains 7.5 running on MS SQL 2000.
The recommendation from class is to create multiple
database files to increase performance, example:
compdatabase.mdf,compdatabase.ndf.  Is this supported by
Great Plains?  My concern is that if I set this up to
increase performance when I request support from Great
Plains, Great Plains will not support me because my
company database is split into multiple files.  Is anyone
running a company database that is split into multiple
files?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Brian
0
anonymous (74719)

Hi Brain

Personally i would avoid this plan due to the hassle of restoring databases
(if you restore one file backup the whole database will be out of sync),
plus this route increases down time to complete restore and keeping track of
what Great Plains modules belong to which SQL database file.

Its true that you can increase performance of SQL,  but the most simple way
of doing this is splitting the MDF (data file) anf LDF (Log) files, i.e
RAID 1 for the Log file  and RAID 5 for the data file

RAID 1 provide faster write and RAID 5 provide faster read.  In any SQL
Server all data is pushed through the Log file first and than commits the
data to the data file (a simple but not accurate explanation).  The faster
the Log file drive (RAID) you have the faster data input for Great Plains
will be.  When Data file is on a RAID 5 disk array GP can call up / view
data faster etc...  I hope this makes any sense!!

Before i go into great detail, how many Great Plains users do you have?

Your tasks as a SQL DBA is to make administration simple yet effective,
having multiple files will certainly increase your administration costs
etc..  But that's my opinion.

Regards

James

"Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
>      I am currently taking a class on MS SQL 2000.  We
> currently have Great Plains 7.5 running on MS SQL 2000.
> The recommendation from class is to create multiple
> database files to increase performance, example:
> compdatabase.mdf,compdatabase.ndf.  Is this supported by
> Great Plains?  My concern is that if I set this up to
> increase performance when I request support from Great
> Plains, Great Plains will not support me because my
> company database is split into multiple files.  Is anyone
> running a company database that is split into multiple
> files?
>
> Thanks for any advice you can provide.
>
> Brian

Gentlemen,
I will agree with James that there is really no significant performance gain
by going with multiple OS files. As he rightly points out,
you are better off using RAIDs.

However, in the interest of knowledge, i thought I'd clarify some points.
There is really no overhead to splitting the data over multiple OS files.
This has nothing to do with backup and restore.
I think you are confused with filegroup backup, which is another concept.

The use of one or multiple OS files to store the data is purely a SQL Server
issue; the database will store/retrieve the data as needed but insulates the
calling application from the details.  The application (in this case, Great
plains) is not aware of or concerened with the data storage structure.  it
simply makes a call to the database.

HS

 "James" <hushdontspamme@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Brain
>
> Personally i would avoid this plan due to the hassle of restoring
databases
> (if you restore one file backup the whole database will be out of sync),
> plus this route increases down time to complete restore and keeping track
of
> what Great Plains modules belong to which SQL database file.
>
> Its true that you can increase performance of SQL,  but the most simple
way
> of doing this is splitting the MDF (data file) anf LDF (Log) files, i.e
> RAID 1 for the Log file  and RAID 5 for the data file
>
> RAID 1 provide faster write and RAID 5 provide faster read.  In any SQL
> Server all data is pushed through the Log file first and than commits the
> data to the data file (a simple but not accurate explanation).  The faster
> the Log file drive (RAID) you have the faster data input for Great Plains
> will be.  When Data file is on a RAID 5 disk array GP can call up / view
> data faster etc...  I hope this makes any sense!!
>
> Before i go into great detail, how many Great Plains users do you have?
>
> Your tasks as a SQL DBA is to make administration simple yet effective,
> having multiple files will certainly increase your administration costs
> etc..  But that's my opinion.
>

> Regards
>
> James
>

> "Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> >      I am currently taking a class on MS SQL 2000.  We
> > currently have Great Plains 7.5 running on MS SQL 2000.
> > The recommendation from class is to create multiple
> > database files to increase performance, example:
> > compdatabase.mdf,compdatabase.ndf.  Is this supported by
> > Great Plains?  My concern is that if I set this up to
> > increase performance when I request support from Great
> > Plains, Great Plains will not support me because my
> > company database is split into multiple files.  Is anyone
> > running a company database that is split into multiple
> > files?
> >
> > Thanks for any advice you can provide.
> >
> > Brian

0
HSalim (1270)
7/14/2004 2:24:13 PM
HS

Yes i somehow got caught up in File group backups,  thanks for spotting it
:) .

I still think from past experience that multiple files on a same RAID Disk
array is not worth the admin costs, where else if the system is not RAID,
than  i agree that multiple files will be beneficial etc...

Just make sure the page.sys file is located on a separate physical drive to
the SQL data files and if possible the OS drive to gain maximum performance.

Regards

James

"HSalim" <HSalim@msn.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > having multiple files will certainly increase your administration costs
> > etc..  But that's my opinion.
> >

> > Regards
> >
> > James
> >

> > "Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello
> > >
> > >      I am currently taking a class on MS SQL 2000.  We
> > > currently have Great Plains 7.5 running on MS SQL 2000.
> > > The recommendation from class is to create multiple
> > > database files to increase performance, example:
> > > compdatabase.mdf,compdatabase.ndf.  Is this supported by
> > > Great Plains?  My concern is that if I set this up to
> > > increase performance when I request support from Great
> > > Plains, Great Plains will not support me because my
> > > company database is split into multiple files.  Is anyone
> > > running a company database that is split into multiple

Gentlemen,

     I appreciate your opinion.  After speaking with the
instructor he agreed that multiple files would not
increase performance at this time.  I do have my SQL setup
to the lastest and greatest.  So I have the os mirrored,
data files on RAID 5 and log files on RAID 5.  I have
about 40 users on the system and company database is about
7GB.  I guess I am trying to find performance gains where
ever I can because Great Plains is a clunky application.
Does anyone have any ideas of increasing the performance
of Great Plains?

Thanks again,

Brian

0
anonymous (74719)
7/14/2004 3:01:31 PM
Brain

Sounds like you have a powerful server,  one thing i want to point out
though,   Microsoft recommend that the Database Log files be stored on a
RAID 1 disk array for Great Plains with 40plus users.  In your case the OS
mirrored Drive.

> Gentlemen,
>
>      I appreciate your opinion.  After speaking with the
> instructor he agreed that multiple files would not
> increase performance at this time.  I do have my SQL setup
> to the lastest and greatest.  So I have the os mirrored,
> data files on RAID 5 and log files on RAID 5.  I have
> about 40 users on the system and company database is about
> 7GB.  I guess I am trying to find performance gains where
> ever I can because Great Plains is a clunky application.
> Does anyone have any ideas of increasing the performance
> of Great Plains?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Brian

PMJI but you hit the nail on the head, Great Plains is a clunky application.
From what I've seen so far analyzing Great Plains performance, the biggest
bottlenecks on the SQL Server are the network and CPU speed. So having GB
Ethernet and the fastest CPU you can buy on the server will help. Also have
2GB RAM if you're using SQL Standard Edition, you can use more if you have
SQL Enterprise Edition.

Since Great Plains is a client-server system the users machine also plays a
big role in performance. A fast client with GB Ethernet to the desktop would
be best.

Hopefully MS will start modifying Great Plains to take better advantage of
SQL Server now that they're dropping support for other data storage methods
like Pervasive.

HTH,
Mike Kruchten
SQL Server DBA

"Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Gentlemen,
>
>      I appreciate your opinion.  After speaking with the
> instructor he agreed that multiple files would not
> increase performance at this time.  I do have my SQL setup
> to the lastest and greatest.  So I have the os mirrored,
> data files on RAID 5 and log files on RAID 5.  I have
> about 40 users on the system and company database is about
> 7GB.  I guess I am trying to find performance gains where
> ever I can because Great Plains is a clunky application.
> Does anyone have any ideas of increasing the performance
> of Great Plains?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Brian

0
mkruchten (21)

Create a list with multiple criteria

Is there policy setting to prevent saving file without extension?
I previously posted related question in Office Developer Add-in group... http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.office.developer.com.add_ins&mid=869e5007-3e31-46be-9d2a-f24ed5a324c8 ....but I did not get any response, so I have reframed a more general question here. In one particular environment (Terminal Services session on MS windows server 2003 standard edition SP2 with Office Professional Plus 2007 SP2), when I try to save a file (programmatically) withOUT .docx extension, the file is automatically saved with the extension. (The ...

Removing multiple hyperlinks

New Database in Storage Group question
I think I have some corruption in an exisiting database in my Storage Group. What I am doing is moving all mailboxes to a newly created database within this storage group. Is this a good thing to do? I was figuring instead of taking the corrupted database (I am getting some 1025 errors) down for 50+ hours while I run isinteg, I could just move the mailboxes to a new database. Will this work? Since I am allowed 5 databases within a storage group, what is Microsoft best practices when it comes to database size? -- Eric Sabo NT Administrator Best practice is to keep the size ...

Charting multiple multiples

Database Design Question
I am very new to database design, and kind of learning as I go. Thus I have a question about the design of my database. I am working on a budget database. I have a table that contains all the Categories (Cat_ID, Description, Income/Expense), a table with transactions (I have other tables doing other unrelated things. I have a form to input transactions, and a form to add new categories (This is a multiple items form). The categories is basically my chart of accounts. My ultimate goal is to create a form where I can select a budget month and year, and have it list all t...

distributing data into multiple cells

Single click selects multiple cells

jpg files
I have had several users experiencing problems opening pictures from Outlook 2000. Their O/S is XP Pro. Any ideas? Thank You, Jamie ...

Using Off-line files to synchronise pst file
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C52659.2A201E60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Can I use Off-line files (XP Pro SP2) to synchronise Outlook 2003 pst = file between laptop and desktop? --=20 Interim Systems and Management Accounting Gordon Burgess-Parker=20 Director www.gbpcomputing.co.uk ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C52659.2A201E60 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4....

Sending to multiple addresses

File storage
Where and how are the files stored in the crm database for a note attachment, I need to download the file for a certain event and save it in a folder on machine without the download dialog box appearing. is it the version column of annotationbase where i only see binary,how do i query database in this case ,I am unable to do through the howto method of downloading ...

multiple selection

Exchange 2000 Distribution Lists

Backup program that doesn't change the file structure
Not sure if anyone or myself asked this before but I'm looking for a backup program that will copy and update modified files to another location without putting them in some proprietary file format. ntbackup from XP makes some file called .bkf and other programs seem to create their own type of files. If I have 300 files in 22 folders that I'm backing up from drive C: I want to see 300 files in 22 folders in the backup location after its done. Is this even possible? Basically a mirror of the existing data. "Gary Gary" <blah@blah.blah> wro...

enter time into file for a time sheet
how can I enter the time automatically into a cell. perhaps a macro. hilte the cell and hit your macro or enter? I want to round the time to the nearest 1/4 hour. I also want to be able to override the automatic function The quick way to enter current time is Ctrl plus the colon (date is Ctrl plus semi-colon) but this doesn't round to the nearest 15 minutes. I think there is an add-in that would do that as a worksheet function. Here is a subroutine that might do what you want: Sub RndToQtrHr() Dim currMin As Long Dim M As Long Dim plusHour As Boolean currMin = Minute(Time) plusHour = ...

Organization of files
In the next several weeks, I expect to complete my first windows application, built primarily with C++ in MFC. I will have hundreds of image files across various categories by subject matter, and probably several thousand small, compressed audio files organized in a number of ways. By nature and profession, I am very organized. But I need help in understanding what factors to consider in regard to using multiple folders in my release directory, and how to decide what resource files to possibly include in the exe itself. Is there such a thing as too many files in one directory? Is i...

how does the WLM 2011 beta contact system / database work?
Using WLM 2011 beta (Build 15.4.3002.0810) German version, on a 32-bit Win7 Ultimate system. Everything works relatively fine but i am confused with the Windows Contacts. As i have a live mail account, i can synchronize my contacts on other computers. But how has this system changed from OutlookExpress over WindowsMail to WLM? And is there a major difference to OUTLOOK (2007 or 2010) contacts? I have noticed that compatibility to certain mobile phones is no longer given. Have a SonyEricsson w995 and SonyEricsson offers a sync software called "pc suite" which h...

Two users in the same database at the same time
I created a database in Access 2007. I located it on my server so two people can access it at the same time, but when one is in the database the other can't update a record or sometimes even open it. It tells them that they can only save it if you are the soul person using it. I'm not talking about design changes, just general changes, like address, phone... Why can't this be done? On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:28:01 -0800, Patty <Patty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I created a database in Access 2007. I located it on my server so two people >can access...

Open Quark files in Publisher??
Is there any possible way to open a Quark file in Publisher? Hi MarkG (markg@jflv.org), in the newsgroups you posted: || Is there any possible way to open a Quark file in || Publisher? Nope. You would have to: 1. Attempt to use a copy/paste or drag/drop 2. Export the Quark pages as images supported by Publisher and insert them as images. 3. Export the Quark publication as a Word/RTF/Text item (less the images) and import the text only into Publisher 4. Export the Quark publication as a PDF, the go to ScanSoft.com and get the PDF software for Word/Publisher that allows you to import PDF...

Combine multiple tables into one