MSDE or SQL Personal or SQL Developer? or SQL Workstation?

Hi, which one is better for personal non-server computer? MSDE? SQL Personal?
SQL Developer? SQL Workstation?
Thank you.
0
ano (57)

It depends on what edition of GP you are going to run. If you are going to
use Professional, you need to go with SQL Server developer, assuming you are
installing on a non-server OS.

"ano" wrote:

> Hi, which one is better for personal non-server computer? MSDE? SQL Personal?
> SQL Developer? SQL Workstation?
> Thank you.
0
CharlesAllen (483)
11/6/2005 6:09:02 AM
Is the function of SQL Developer the same as Enterprise edition?
How about personal edition? Can it be used for GP Pro?
Can developer edition be use under Windows XP Pro?

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> It depends on what edition of GP you are going to run. If you are going to
> use Professional, you need to go with SQL Server developer, assuming you are
> installing on a non-server OS.
>
> "ano" wrote:
>
> > Hi, which one is better for personal non-server computer? MSDE? SQL Personal?
> > SQL Developer? SQL Workstation?
> > Thank you.
0
ano (57)
11/6/2005 5:07:35 PM
I specifically chose the developer edition because it can be used on Windows
XP. It has not occurred to me to use Personal edition; however, it does
appear like it would be fine to use. If you go to
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/planning/SQLResKChooseEd.mspx you can
read about the differences between the editions.

"ano" wrote:

> Is the function of SQL Developer the same as Enterprise edition?
> How about personal edition? Can it be used for GP Pro?
> Can developer edition be use under Windows XP Pro?
>

> "Charles Allen" wrote:
>
> > It depends on what edition of GP you are going to run. If you are going to
> > use Professional, you need to go with SQL Server developer, assuming you are
> > installing on a non-server OS.
> >
> > "ano" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, which one is better for personal non-server computer? MSDE? SQL Personal?
> > > SQL Developer? SQL Workstation?
> > > Thank you.
0
CharlesAllen (483)
11/7/2005 7:41:30 AM
The personal edition works just fine on XP for Great Plains. I'm running it
now for testing.

Mark
www.dynamicaccounting.net

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> I specifically chose the developer edition because it can be used on Windows
> XP. It has not occurred to me to use Personal edition; however, it does
> appear like it would be fine to use. If you go to
> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/planning/SQLResKChooseEd.mspx you can
> read about the differences between the editions.
>
> "ano" wrote:
>
> > Is the function of SQL Developer the same as Enterprise edition?
> > How about personal edition? Can it be used for GP Pro?
> > Can developer edition be use under Windows XP Pro?
> >

> > "Charles Allen" wrote:
> >
> > > It depends on what edition of GP you are going to run. If you are going to
> > > use Professional, you need to go with SQL Server developer, assuming you are
> > > installing on a non-server OS.

0
MarkPolino (12)
11/7/2005 1:51:01 PM
You should install SQL Server Developer Edition. Works fine on WinXP and
this is the version that works with SQL Server Reporting Services.

Regards,

Takashi

"Mark Polino" <MarkPolino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The personal edition works just fine on XP for Great Plains. I'm running
> it
> now for testing.
>
> Mark
> www.dynamicaccounting.net
>
> "Charles Allen" wrote:
>
>> I specifically chose the developer edition because it can be used on
>> Windows
>> XP. It has not occurred to me to use Personal edition; however, it does
>> appear like it would be fine to use. If you go to
>> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/planning/SQLResKChooseEd.mspx you
>> can
>> read about the differences between the editions.
>>
>> "ano" wrote:
>>
>> > Is the function of SQL Developer the same as Enterprise edition?
>> > How about personal edition? Can it be used for GP Pro?
>> > Can developer edition be use under Windows XP Pro?

0
tarikuma (52)

MSDE SP4 Installation
I am setting up a test server to upgrade GP from 8.0 to 9.0. I just installed MSDE 2000 SP3 CD successfully and then downloaded SP4 for MSDE 2000. When I extract the files and execute setup.exe , I get error an "instance name specified is invalid" ? Any input is helpful. Thanks in advance. With the MSDE installation you need to create a INI file with variables like instance name, and admin password (or provide them on the command line, but I find the INI file easier). Carefully read the README that comes with the installation, and particularly the section: 3.4.3 MSDE Setup Pa...

CRM SQL Reporting Services failing...
Hello all, My CRM is powered by SQL 2000 SP4 and SQL Reporting Services. I can run a report (example, Sales Pipeline) and Group it by what ever field I chose but when I then try to expand data in the returned report by double clicking on a bar of the report to return a new report I get this error: Reporting Services Error -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted) Get Online Help Query execution failed for data set 'DSpipeDetails'. (rsErrorExecutingCommand) Get Online He...

BigInt, ADP (Access 2000 file format) & SQL Server 2005
I created an ADP that points to a SQL Server 2005. I use a BigInt columns in a couple of tables. I haven't been able to format these columns (clicking on property Format in ADP for the column I don't get the list of the formats (General Number, Currency, Standard...). Any ideas why this happens? Any ideas how to solve the problem? On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 07:55:01 -0800, Sara4 <Sara4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Idea: write your own format expression. See the help file on Format > Numeric formats. -Tom. >I created an ADP that points to a SQL Server 2005. I use a B...

SBS 2K3 RWW workstation login
I have a SBS 2K3 SP2 server that cannot connect to one workstaton using RWW or RDP from the server desktop. Recently, I changed the video card in the workstation to a dual monitor NVIDIA GEForce 7300. Since then, I cannot connect to it. There is no error message, RDP & RWW just seem to flash or refresh and no login prompt appears. I do not see any error log entries that look like they are related. I installed the identical card in another workstation and this one will let me in just fine. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Dan Hi Dan: Two possibilities come to...

Has anyone here developed a tile-based game with MFC?
I am developing a hexagonal tile based game. If anyone else has and is willing to give me some advice, please let me know. It will be very much appreciated. My biggest struggle is the View class and the converting of pixels to row and column coords and vice versa. Not sure what the question is here. If it is one of geometry, e.g., given an x,y coodinate pair from the mouse, given that you have drawn the hxagons, you know the coordinates you used. Therefore, it is simple geometry to determine if the mouse is within the area defined by the coordinates.My own inclination would be as a side-...

Crystal Report SQL Conversion
Does anyone know of instructions / utilities that would help me use a select statement from a Crystal report in a MS Access Query? We have several Crystal reports in my office, but I prefer Access. I can pull the underlying select statement from the Crystal report and copy / paste it into a MS Access query, but there are some differences in how the select statement is written. Thanks Terry Terry wrote: > Does anyone know of instructions / utilities that would help me use a > select statement from a Crystal report in a MS Access Query? > > We have several C...

SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008
Hi, I have SQL Server 2000(32 bit) on the Win2008 Server, if I would like to promote it to the SQL Server 2008 on the same machine, is it possible? One more question, will the connection string in our client's .Net application need to change as well? Thanks for help. Jason 1. Backup your databases. 2. Uninstall SQL SVR 2000 completely 3. Install SQL SVR 2008 4. Restore your databases Nothing else will change except for the provider name in the connection string. It is now SQLOLEDB.1 - it is as easy as that unless you did some low level selects into system dat...

SQL view with detail and subtotal row ?
Hello. MSSQL is 2008. I'm trying to create a view with detail rows and the last row is the subtotal of all the detail rows. Is it possible? I'm using a UNION but it throws an error. The last row uses the same columns as the detail but uses an aggregate Sum function. Any way to do this? Here is my code: if exists(Select TABLE_NAME FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.VIEWS WHERE TABLE_NAME = 'I_vTest') drop VIEW dbo.I_vTest GO CREATE VIEW dbo.I_vTest AS Select h.DOCDATE, h.SOPNUMBE, h.SOPTYPE, h.MRKDNAMT, h.SUBTOTAL, h.FRTAMNT, h.MISCAMNT, h.FRTTXAMT, ...

Can SQL Server be run locally?
I have a SQL Server db on my hosting site. It's used for my business shopping cart. I want to impoort some new items into it, but do not want to take a chance messing things up, so I would like to have a development system to do test imports into. I have a backed up copy of the db and have ftp'd it to my client. Is ther any way to open this locally to do test import to make sure things work? Thanks Allen You can download and install the free SQL Express edition locally: http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/download/ For development it may be worth it to purchase the...

Adding Contact Person to SOP Other Invoice Form
We would like to add a field to the "Bill to" and "Ship to" addresses that is the "Contact Person" field from the Address ID palette. How do I do this? This is done easily, check out Knowledgebase Article 874176. You will need to add some additional calculated fields and then modify the existing calculated fields. Using the rw_SelectAddrLine user function you can add the following fields (for example) to an address and have it grow and shrink dynamically with no empty lines. Customer Name Contact Person Address1 Address2 Address3 City State Zip Country ...

SQL 2005 and GP 9
When trying to login as a user, GP 9 says that the DSN is configured for trusted connections but it is not. We can login with sa but not dynsa or any other account. Any ideas? Sean Make sure the server is set up with mixed mode security. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Sean Fullerton" wrote: > When trying to login as a user, GP 9 says that the DSN is configured for > trusted connections but it is not. > > We can login with sa but not dynsa or any other account. > > Any ideas? > > Sean > > > Yep this was an upgrade from SQL 2000 and GP 8 ...

SQL connection though jscript
Hi, I'm trying to write information (user, caseid, date) into an external SQL database from the OnLoad event of the case entity, but don't know how to do it. Any pointers?? Thanks very much Hi Fred, var conn = new ActiveXObject("ADODB.Connection"); conn.open("Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=YourDBServer;Initial Catalog=YourDB;Integrated Security=SSPI;"); var strSQL = "Select * from Table"; var rs = new ActiveXObject("ADODB.Recordset"); rs.Open(strSQL,conn); var strFeld1 = rs.Fields("name"); alert( strFeld1); Have Fun! "F...

MSDE SP4 - Installation Failed
When installing Microsoft CRM3.0 Laptop Client for Outlook I receive the following error "MSDE SP4 - Installation Failed - Fatal Error on Installation" Has anyone seen this before? Do you have a fix? nj, I've had this happen on a couple of installs. Go into Add/Remove Programs. In my two issues there were 2 versions of Microsoft SQL MSDE CRM installed. Once I removed both, and restarted, all was good. Terry nj.kingston wrote: > When installing Microsoft CRM3.0 Laptop Client for Outlook I receive > the following error "MSDE SP4 - Installation Failed - Fatal Er...

SQL Time on Worksheet 250/260
We are creating a rather large worksheet 250/260(> 33,000 items). It works fine on one of our stores (running SQL 2000 SP4 same location as HQ) without any issues. When we run the worksheets for the other store (SQL 2005 Express), it runs for an indetminiate time (about an hour) and fails. The worksheets run if we break the number down to less than 5000 items. Ref. No.: 52610 4/15/2007 10:58:56 AM Updated 3 record(s) in table 'QuantityDiscount'. 4/15/2007 10:58:57 AM Updated 3 record(s) in table 'ItemClass'. 4/15/2007 11:47:01 AM <<ExecuteCommand>...

connection to sql -server
Hi I am just looking at using MFC to write information into an SQL-SERVER database the database is located on our company webserver the MFC application runs on local desktop machines and can access the server using an IP address Fs there a way to extract data from the remote SQL-SERVER database using MFC If so what do I use as the connection string Do I have to configure the server to accept calls to the SQL-server Sorry if this is trivial question but I'm a bit stuck on this Hope someone can help Phil use ado ...... google for "using ado with vc++" "phil" ...

MSDE
Hi, Is anyone there that can help me give instructions on how to change the subscription expiration using the MSDE tool osql? Thanks Angelo <oracle_sigma@yahoo.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Is anyone there that can help me give instructions on how to change > the subscription expiration using the MSDE tool osql? Not likely around here. Try a newsgroup that supports SQL or MSDE, instead of one that supports Microsoft Publisher. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

SQL: Summing By Date Continuously?
Two tables: tblPaymentAccrualDaily SecID PayDate PayAmount 003 01/01/2007 123.97 004 01/01/2007 4250.63 003 01/02/2007 123.43 003 01/03 2007 120.45 003 01/04/2007 119.20 003 01/05/2007 130.44 ...and so on for each and every day tblPaymentSchedule SecID PayDate 003 01/03/2007 003 02/03/2007 003 03/05/2007 003 04/03/2007 What I want to do is present, for a given SecID, the total daily accruals from tblPaymentSchedule.PayDate to the next (actually, the day after one PayDate to the next...

SQL Server and MSDE ?
cenario.... I have a server box running SQL Server 2000 and RMS HQ Server. I have another server running MSDE, RMS SO and HQ Client. (at another location, connected via ADSL VPN) The problem i have is that HQ Client downloads all worksheets from HQ Server. BUT it will not upload data back to HQ Server on a 401 it gives me a correlation error. SQL Server and MSDE use different collation. any ideas on how to change the default collation so they are both the same? You can do it using SQL - see SQL Books online or MSDN. Also, HQ Administrator and SO administrator both have options on the dat...

Need SQL syntacs
I have words to search and I want to get the results like at Google For examples, If I search the words WINDOW, KIT, DOOR I want to get first the result from Database the all three words, and after it the 2 words and after that 1 words If I used the OR operation I get the result without order that I want. On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 03:59:18 -0800 (PST), yuvalbra wrote: >I have words to search and I want to get the results like at Google >For examples, > >If I search the words WINDOW, KIT, DOOR >I want to get first the result from Database the all three words, and >...

personal workbooks
Hi When I create a macro, I want it to be in every future workbook. Only problem is that to do that you must save it in your personal workbook. Now, at startup, I get a message about whether I want to open a document as read only or notify......how do I stop this???? Thanks ...

moving mails across various folders within the personal folder
Hi Once I move a received mail from Inbox to any of the folders, then I cannot move them to another folder. This was possible earlier and I cannot understand which setting prevents this now. regards Kums Version of Outlook? What type of email account? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@...

CRM installation problem with MSDE SP4
When I try to install Ms CRM Laptop Client for outlook Setup, I see: MSDE Service Pack 4 Installation failed - Interrupted by the user?? I've tryed to manually install MSDE and the SP 4, but I obtain the same error during the starting phase of the installation Suki I had this problem and got round it by running the client install from the ClientApps folder on the server rather than from the Client Install CD. As you'll see from the post I've just put in - I had other problems *grin* Mark Suki wrote: > When I try to install Ms CRM Laptop Client for outlook Setup, I see: &...

MSDE to SQL 2005 Express upgrade options
the readme file for 1.3R reads: "Note that an instance of MSDE 2000 that is upgraded to SQL Express may not work with Retail Management System. Instead, you should uninstall MSDE and do a clean install of SQL Express." do you create a backup in SOA, uninstall MSDE, install SQL express, restore from backup in SOA? just wanted to double check to avoid any surprises. thanks, -- Eddie B Yes, that would be the way to go. I have, however, upgraded MSDE to Express with no problems. Probably because everything has always been a default install with only one instance. Oh, and we...

Performance Increase ODBC.mdb ==> ADO.SQL Server?
I've got a little app that runs pretty well on C:. Loads eight subforms as the user walks a TreeView and takes about a quarter of a second to do each load. Moving it to my dinky little home LAN (10 mb, almost zero traffic), I see the times rise to .5 or .6 seconds per load. Running it on the client's LAN tonite (way after COB, presumably very low traffic), I'm getting .7 to .8 seconds per load. But during the day, it's pretty miserable. Tomorrow will give the numbers - since I just put the time logging code in tonite.... but I expect times well over a second and maybe up ...

Can't set up new user in Sql 2000
I keep a copy of Sql 2000 on my workstation for those clients who are still on the old software. About a year or so ago, my network user was changed from bev to bevk so it would be consistent with other users. I hadn't had a problem until now, when I was asked to test something on Sql 2000. The job failed to run because it still had the login bev instead of bevk. But when I try to create the bevk login, I get error 15401: Windows NT user or group 'MCRCORP\bevk' not found. I checked the control panel, and user MCRCORP\bevk most certainly does exist, with Administrat...