Migrating GP to another Existing Server

Hi,

So far I can only managed to find documentation on GP migration to a new
server.

Is there any documentation on migration to another existing GP Server?

We currently have two different MGP systems (1 in the UK and 1 in Singapore)
and plan to consolidate them in Singapore.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Sugih
0
Sugih (78)

If you are going to add the UK db to the Singapore server in ONE GP install
with 2 companies:

1.  Backup the UK company using the SQL backup tool.  Take the file to
Singapore.

2.  On the Singapore GP install, create a new company.  Use the same name as
the UK company.

3.  Restore the UK backup over the new company db.  If you have any
Manufacturing, you have to get a script from Customer Source to move the
setups or re-key the few setup screens.

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Sugih" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So far I can only managed to find documentation on GP migration to a new
> server.
>
> Is there any documentation on migration to another existing GP Server?
>
> We currently have two different MGP systems (1 in the UK and 1 in Singapore)
> and plan to consolidate them in Singapore.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
> Sugih
0
info4071 (3004)
10/18/2007 1:20:02 AM
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your response.
I followed KB871973 and it seems OK except the smartlist doesn't run.
I got SQL error saying the column is not found in table definition.
Is there anything I should do with DYNAMICS db?

Regards,
Sugih

"Richard Whaley -- MVP" wrote:

> If you are going to add the UK db to the Singapore server in ONE GP install
> with 2 companies:
>
> 1.  Backup the UK company using the SQL backup tool.  Take the file to
> Singapore.
>
> 2.  On the Singapore GP install, create a new company.  Use the same name as
> the UK company.
>
> 3.  Restore the UK backup over the new company db.  If you have any
> Manufacturing, you have to get a script from Customer Source to move the
> setups or re-key the few setup screens.
>
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "Sugih" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > So far I can only managed to find documentation on GP migration to a new
> > server.
> >
> > Is there any documentation on migration to another existing GP Server?
> >
> > We currently have two different MGP systems (1 in the UK and 1 in Singapore)
> > and plan to consolidate them in Singapore.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Sugih
0
Sugih (78)
10/18/2007 1:58:00 AM
You need to check that the Account Framework from your two different sites
is identical.
If not, you will get issues with your account numbers, and column missing
errors.

To check the account framework, run the following query within the DYNAMICS
databases
select * from SY003001

select * from SY00302

The BIGGEST aspect is that the MXNUMSEG in SY003001 MUST be equal. If not,
then you will need to build an empty database on your Singapore system, then
transfer the data from the UK database - not just a restore.

Another option if the Account Framework is different is using Corporate
Renaisse Re-Formatter to restructure your UK system so that its account
framework matches your Singapore system before doing the backup, move and
restore across.

http://www.crgroupsolutions.com/Products/DynamicsReFormatter.php

------

Robert

"Sugih" <Sugih@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Richard,
>
> Thanks for your response.
> I followed KB871973 and it seems OK except the smartlist doesn't run.
> I got SQL error saying the column is not found in table definition.
> Is there anything I should do with DYNAMICS db?
>
> Regards,
> Sugih
>
> "Richard Whaley -- MVP" wrote:
>
>> If you are going to add the UK db to the Singapore server in ONE GP
>> install
>> with 2 companies:
>>
>> 1.  Backup the UK company using the SQL backup tool.  Take the file to
>> Singapore.
>>
>> 2.  On the Singapore GP install, create a new company.  Use the same name
>> as
>> the UK company.
>>
>> 3.  Restore the UK backup over the new company db.  If you have any
>> Manufacturing, you have to get a script from Customer Source to move the
>> setups or re-key the few setup screens.
>>
>> --
>> Richard L. Whaley
>> Author / Consultant / MVP
>> Documentation for Software Users
>>
>> Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
>> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>>

>> "Sugih" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > So far I can only managed to find documentation on GP migration to a
>> > new
>> > server.
>> >
>> > Is there any documentation on migration to another existing GP Server?
>> >
>> > We currently have two different MGP systems (1 in the UK and 1 in
>> > Singapore)
>> > and plan to consolidate them in Singapore.
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated!
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Sugih

0
Robert
10/18/2007 10:34:03 AM
Hi Robert,

Thanks for highlighting this, I might not have an issue with this but I
haven't gone to that yet.
I'm currently struggling to get the smartlist working - none of them is
working.
So I don't thing this is because of the Account Framework.

Another thing I haven't mentioned (forgot to mention) that the two system
are using two different Service Pack. SG is using SP4 while UK is using SP5.

Thanks,
Sugih

"Robert Cavill" wrote:

> You need to check that the Account Framework from your two different sites
> is identical.
> If not, you will get issues with your account numbers, and column missing
> errors.
>
> To check the account framework, run the following query within the DYNAMICS
> databases
> select * from SY003001
>
> select * from SY00302
>
> The BIGGEST aspect is that the MXNUMSEG in SY003001 MUST be equal. If not,
> then you will need to build an empty database on your Singapore system, then
> transfer the data from the UK database - not just a restore.
>

> Another option if the Account Framework is different is using Corporate
> Renaisse Re-Formatter to restructure your UK system so that its account
> framework matches your Singapore system before doing the backup, move and
> restore across.
>
> http://www.crgroupsolutions.com/Products/DynamicsReFormatter.php
>

> ------
>
> Robert
>

> "Sugih" <Sugih@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > Thanks for your response.
> > I followed KB871973 and it seems OK except the smartlist doesn't run.
> > I got SQL error saying the column is not found in table definition.
> > Is there anything I should do with DYNAMICS db?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Sugih
> >
> > "Richard Whaley -- MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> If you are going to add the UK db to the Singapore server in ONE GP
> >> install
> >> with 2 companies:
> >>
> >> 1.  Backup the UK company using the SQL backup tool.  Take the file to
> >> Singapore.
> >>
> >> 2.  On the Singapore GP install, create a new company.  Use the same name
> >> as
> >> the UK company.
> >>
> >> 3.  Restore the UK backup over the new company db.  If you have any
> >> Manufacturing, you have to get a script from Customer Source to move the
> >> setups or re-key the few setup screens.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Richard L. Whaley
> >> Author / Consultant / MVP
> >> Documentation for Software Users
> >>
> >> Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
> >> http://www.AccoladePublications.com

0
Sugih (78)
10/19/2007 4:41:19 AM
Smartlists are maintained in the Dynamics Db.  If you have Smartlist builder
you might want to contact support or E-One to find out how to move just the
changes from the db to your new db.

--

"Sugih" wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Thanks for highlighting this, I might not have an issue with this but I
> haven't gone to that yet.
> I'm currently struggling to get the smartlist working - none of them is
> working.
> So I don't thing this is because of the Account Framework.
>
> Another thing I haven't mentioned (forgot to mention) that the two system
> are using two different Service Pack. SG is using SP4 while UK is using SP5.
>
> Thanks,
> Sugih
>
> "Robert Cavill" wrote:
>
> > You need to check that the Account Framework from your two different sites
> > is identical.
> > If not, you will get issues with your account numbers, and column missing
> > errors.
> >
> > To check the account framework, run the following query within the DYNAMICS
> > databases
> > select * from SY003001
> >
> > select * from SY00302
> >
> > The BIGGEST aspect is that the MXNUMSEG in SY003001 MUST be equal. If not,
> > then you will need to build an empty database on your Singapore system, then
> > transfer the data from the UK database - not just a restore.
> >

> > Another option if the Account Framework is different is using Corporate
> > Renaisse Re-Formatter to restructure your UK system so that its account
> > framework matches your Singapore system before doing the backup, move and
> > restore across.
> >
> > http://www.crgroupsolutions.com/Products/DynamicsReFormatter.php
> >

> > ------
> >
> > Robert
> >

> > "Sugih" <Sugih@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Richard,
> > >
> > > Thanks for your response.
> > > I followed KB871973 and it seems OK except the smartlist doesn't run.
> > > I got SQL error saying the column is not found in table definition.
> > > Is there anything I should do with DYNAMICS db?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Sugih

0
info4071 (3004)
10/20/2007 12:03:03 AM
I'm no expert on SLB but I think one nice feature (and maybe what you're
looking fore) of SLB is that in the SLB main window you can choose to
Export/Import the smartlist definitions.  That should recreate them again in
the new system.  Any favorites that you've created are stored in the
smartlist tables themselves.

patrick
developer suspport

"Richard Whaley -- MVP" <info@AccoladePublications.com> wrote in message
> Smartlists are maintained in the Dynamics Db.  If you have Smartlist
> builder
> you might want to contact support or E-One to find out how to move just
> the
> changes from the db to your new db.
>
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "Sugih" wrote:
>
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> Thanks for highlighting this, I might not have an issue with this but I
>> haven't gone to that yet.
>> I'm currently struggling to get the smartlist working - none of them is
>> working.
>> So I don't thing this is because of the Account Framework.
>>
>> Another thing I haven't mentioned (forgot to mention) that the two system
>> are using two different Service Pack. SG is using SP4 while UK is using
>> SP5.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sugih
>>
>> "Robert Cavill" wrote:
>>
>> > You need to check that the Account Framework from your two different
>> > sites
>> > is identical.
>> > If not, you will get issues with your account numbers, and column
>> > missing
>> > errors.
>> >
>> > To check the account framework, run the following query within the
>> > DYNAMICS
>> > databases
>> > select * from SY003001
>> >
>> > select * from SY00302
>> >
>> > The BIGGEST aspect is that the MXNUMSEG in SY003001 MUST be equal. If
>> > not,
>> > then you will need to build an empty database on your Singapore system,
>> > then
>> > transfer the data from the UK database - not just a restore.
>> >

>> > Another option if the Account Framework is different is using Corporate
>> > Renaisse Re-Formatter to restructure your UK system so that its account
>> > framework matches your Singapore system before doing the backup, move
>> > and
>> > restore across.
>> >
>> > http://www.crgroupsolutions.com/Products/DynamicsReFormatter.php
>> >

>> > ------
>> >
>> > Robert
>> >

>> > "Sugih" <Sugih@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
prot1 (1345)
10/20/2007 2:33:29 AM
Hi Patrick,

It is not the SLB, it is the default Smartlist that comes with MGP - all of
them give me SQL error when I click on it.
All the Smartlists that I created using the SLB work just fine.

Thanks,
Sugih

"Patrick [MSFT]" wrote:

> I'm no expert on SLB but I think one nice feature (and maybe what you're
> looking fore) of SLB is that in the SLB main window you can choose to
> Export/Import the smartlist definitions.  That should recreate them again in
> the new system.  Any favorites that you've created are stored in the
> smartlist tables themselves.
>
> patrick
> developer suspport

> "Richard Whaley -- MVP" <info@AccoladePublications.com> wrote in message
> > Smartlists are maintained in the Dynamics Db.  If you have Smartlist
> > builder
> > you might want to contact support or E-One to find out how to move just
> > the
> > changes from the db to your new db.
> >
> > --
> > Richard L. Whaley
> > Author / Consultant / MVP
> > Documentation for Software Users
> >
> > Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
> > http://www.AccoladePublications.com
> >

> > "Sugih" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Robert,
> >>
> >> Thanks for highlighting this, I might not have an issue with this but I
> >> haven't gone to that yet.
> >> I'm currently struggling to get the smartlist working - none of them is
> >> working.
> >> So I don't thing this is because of the Account Framework.
> >>
> >> Another thing I haven't mentioned (forgot to mention) that the two system
> >> are using two different Service Pack. SG is using SP4 while UK is using
> >> SP5.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Sugih

0
Sugih (78)

using Macro to launch/run GP
I am working on setting up a batch file / macro that will execute some tasks within GP. I followed TK 856496. I created my macro file by recording it. I inserted the log file line. I made the batch file. But when I try to run the batch file, I get this error: Data dictionary memory allocation error Looking that error up, it points to an issue with the dynamics.set file, but GP launches fine if I launch it manually, so I think it's not really the ..set file but rather something wrong with my macro or batch file. The macro.log file shows this: :C:PROGRA~1/MICROS~4/GREATP~1/Daily.mac Start...

GP SDK #2
I installed SDK on GP 9. What I have on the help file is links to the word documents. I'm trying to issue an inventory transaction, does the IVTRX.doc file is the sequence I should programatically follow with ADO.Net or any other DB interface to add records according to the mentioned sequence or does there an API mechanizem to do that ? The second thing I noticed is the ivObjRef.doc file which describe some API to manipulate inventory objects, how do I access this API, from what tool ? is it possible to access this API from visual studio ? Today I manage to save inventory transactio...

Copy data from one worksheet to another
Dear All, I've a worksheet contains records belong to "complete" and "incomplete" status. And I need to seperate these records manually into two seperated worksheets "complete" and "incomplete". I just wonder is there any formula to show only records which are "complete" status in a worksheet and "incomplete" in another worksheet ? It's quite clumsy to do the sorting and cut & paste to another worksheet everytime. Any idea? Thanks Best Rdgs Ellis Hi Ellis Three ways Manual Use AutoFilter and copy the visibl...

Dynamics GP 9.0 macro/script issue.
We have a macro that executes once a week to perform check links on all companies in Dynamics GP 9.0. This script used to work fine but lately the script does no log out and close the instance of GP after finishing the script. First i though maybe it's getting stuck somewhere in the middle of the script and that is why it does not log out and close the instance of GP, but when i check the logs, it says that the last statement executed was to log out and close the instance of GP. This is the code that is last executed. ================= CommandExec form BuiLtin command cmdQuitApplication...

migrate
How migrate server exchange 5.5 to another exchange server 5.5 with another site and organisation ...

Look out- server dumping Outlook 2003 emails
My server is dumping Outlook 2003 e-mails before they are finally sent to people on the same e-mail network. Everyone else outside this server can recieve Outlook 2003 e-mails fine, but none on the server can? What's this server doing to me? Have anything to do with Outlook going to unicode? What mailserver are you using? Do you only have an Exchange account configured? Also contact your mail administrator to doublecheck your mailbox settings. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slip...

sender filtering on exchange 2003 server
i setup an exchange 2003 server to retreive it's e-mail from a provider's POP3 server for the time being due to the fact that the MX records haven't been changed yet. Now i enabled senderfiltering on my exchange server and it doesn't seem to work Question: Does this have anything to do with the pop3 mailbox of my provider or is there something else going on alltogether?? -- "Computers are useless, they can only give answers...." .. (Pablo Picasso) Obviously no one knows or nobody wants to help "Rik" wrote: > i setup an exchange 2003 server to re...

Migration to full 2003 exch and domain with badly named Directory
Hi I have an NT4 domain with Exch 5.5 on a BDC. The BDC is named in the format AA_BB, where the "_" character is not allowed under 2003. I understand how to rename the serveron the domain only, before upgrading the domain, but from the exchange point of view what do I do. do I have to exmerge everything and then exmerge back into a full exch 2003 fresh install do I create a new exch 2003 server on a different machine but same site as 5.5 and use the move mailbox util Ideally there would a utility I could run on the 5.5 server to rename the relevant properites prior to a...

2 Email servers
Hi, I have 2 exchange 5.5 servers on one domain, one site. Users' mailboxes are distributed evenly between the two. I need to drop one server for a few hours to fix some hardware. Should I move mailboxes to the other server, or will incoming mail just wait at the other server until its partner is back up? Thanks Steve not sure your config, but this question is really independent of Exchange version, mail will either queue up or be denied depending on your config. If you are taking down your gateway mail server mail will be returned to the sender, if this server is at least one ...

How do I set up an email alert on a second existing account?
I am using outlook for work email in my name and receive the pop up alerts but i also receive email from a mail box account that i would like to set an alert on. The more i read in the help section the more confused i am! Can anyone help? Alerts only work with the default account. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, WILDCHILD asked: | I am using outlook for work email in my name and r...

Open inbox emails that have NOT been retireived from the server
How does one open inbox emails that have NOT been downloaded from the server? What version of Outlook are you using? What kind of server? Why haven't they been downloaded? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "wichitawalt" <wichitawalt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDF74F6F-C5C4-41EC-BC86-54DABEDB35A4@microsoft.com... > How does one open inbox emails th...

crm not moving order to GP
we seem to have problem getting order to come across to great plains all the time. after the order is sent i get the TTL expired and it get lock up... how can i unlock it so i can resend? ...

rules not migrated when migration to Exchange 2000

Groupwise to Exchange Migration
I migrated my Groupwise account as a preliminary test, deleted all of the individual emails in the mailbox, and then started the migration for all users. During the migration (the 2nd time), all of my older emails did not migrate the 2nd time, although they did migrate the first time. Is there anything that I can do, or that needs to be done, to allow all of my past emails to be migrated again? -- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego ...

Extract Information To Another Worksheet
Hi All, I have a worksheet with Colonm Headings and Data below each heading, except the "Column A" (in some cases it has and in some cases it doesnt). I want to extract all rows where there is data in "Column A" to a separate worksheet. The Entire Row should be copied to the new Worksheet once i enter a value in Column A for each record and the new sheet should be frequently updated from the original list, its like a building list. -- M Imran Buhary In a separate, helper, column in row 2 enter: =--ISBLANK(A2) and copy down Then switch on Autofilter and set this n...

Restrict items to customers
I have a client that sells pharmaceutical and non pharmaceutical products. Is it possible to restrict certain items to certain customers to avoid that a product for a drugstore cannot be sold to a supermarket. Thanks, -- Toni Sort of but not 100%...here is how. Use customer part numbers. You can have only one part number for a specific item but assign it to the customer using the customer part number cross reference table. So say part 100p is a CVS product with CVS labeling. Enter the part in your inventory then list it in the customer part number cross reference under customer ...

Enabling OOO for a client on the server itself
Anyone know how to turn on Out-Of-Office messages from the server, for a client? In other words, instead of having to go to the client machine and open outlook, set the OOO and log off, can this be turned on from the server? I have a user who is out and I would rather not have to reset the password to get in to her account to set this to on... Any help would be appreciated. Can she access the account from OWA? "Giuseppe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:189f401c41b4f$28f6dd50$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Anyone know how to turn on Out-Of-Office ...

Call center support integration with GP.
I'm looking for a solution that will bring up the customer record when receiving an incomming phone call. Call center support integration with GP. Do you know what software / telephone system will integrate with Great Plains? I believe Vonexus does this: www.vonexus.com -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP "Brett" <Brett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AEC18A0-E47D-4064-A26A-2858923EEA19@microsoft.com... > I'm looking for a solution that will bring up the customer record when > receiving an incomming phone call. Call center support integ...

2 Ex2k servers in one domain?
I have a single domain with one ex2k server. I just added another ex2k server that I want to share the duties. I moved my mailbox to the new server. Now no one can send me mail. Mail sent to me sits in a que on the old mail server. I can send mail to anyone on the old server. I have checked the mx records, I have a routing group set up. What am I missing? any help would be appreciated. "I have a routing group set up" Are both servers in the same one? If you setup the servers in different routing groups you will need a Routing Group connector. "Mail sent to me sits in a que ...

Copying existing sheets to another Workbook
I need help copying an existing sheet along with the links on that sheet to another workbook. I have two workbooks, say Workbook1 and Workbook2. They are the same exact workbooks with the same worksheets in them, the same layout. Only the data is different. In workbook 1 I have inserted a sheet that summarizes the data from the other sheets in that workbook. Now I want to copy that sheet to Workbook2 so that I don't have to make a summary page for Workbook2. The problem is that the sheet has links in it and when I copy and/or move the sheet to the new workbook those links are still ...

Migration tool crashes when migrating from Lotus
I'm having problems with the migration tool when migrating some users. What happens is that once it starts up, the tool crashes with no error codes and the domino server crashes as well. I'm running exchange 2003 and domino 6 on win2k and I'm migrating it all on the same box. I know it says not to but I've already killed a test server because of this and don't have another one handy. As I said, I can migrate the majority of users fine, but for some reason it does not like these users. If anyone has any suggestions or has come across something like this it would...

How do you change OWA to another server?
OWA is working on the exchange server through the website on the Exchange server. First, is it a good thing to have the Web Server for OWA on a different server from the Exchange server? And if so, how do you change it...? charlie On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:20:38 -0500, "charles kuchar" <charliekuchar@news.postalias> wrote: >OWA is working on the exchange server through the website on the Exchange >server. First, is it a good thing to have the Web Server for OWA on a >different server from the Exchange server? And if so, how do you change >it...? charlie ...

Exch 5.5 to 2003 ADMT \ ADC migration order question
Hi guys. I've been reading posts and performing tests in the run up to a Exchange 5.5 to 2003 intra-org migration. In everyone's opinion, which is the best order -> ADC (not enabled) -> ADMT to create new AD account (run in batches) -> ADClean to marry disabled place holder and new account (run in batches) -> movemailbox ( in batches as part of rolling migration) The above seems to have issues with no self rights so if you remove SIDhistory after the migration is done, wont the systems permission go bang as it's masking the lack of self rights? OR....... -&g...

Server 2003
I am getting an error message while running the database on Server 2003. The error is at the terminals of something to the effect of Cannot Recognize the Database. Some here think it has to do with permissions for the server. Right now we are running the database on computer attached to the network through the server, but that isn't really what we want. Any help? We use Win2003 without any problems. In fact I upgraded one last night to SQL Express. I suppose that the log in and password for the database could be wrong. We use SQL authentication, not windows authentication. C...

GP Upgrade problem
During my upgrade of one of my companies (from gp8-gp10) It told me I had to manually delete GL30000 table. I did this, now when I came to upgrade again it fell over, as GL30000 did not exist. So I did a DTS of the GL30000 table back into the Company (less the rows) I now get ERROR [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'DEX_ROW_TS'. rather stuck Also Moving on from this, if i ignore this company, then go to add in other products that we use for companies , I then run into with 2 companies this issue Database xxxx Revenue Expense Defferals Product 10...