Merging 2 Companies into 1

Are there any guidelines or outline for what tables you need to look at to
gather the various information you need in order to merge 2 companies
together as well as issues to consider when undertaking such a project?

0
Denise1 (113)

It is a project and a half.  I got approval from a major client yesterday to
proceed with just this project.

You literally need to look at all of them!

I understand that MS Professional Services will do this project for you. In
my case the client cannot be down and has too many 3rd party products for us
to pass it off.

When does your project need to be completed?

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Denise" wrote:

> Are there any guidelines or outline for what tables you need to look at to
> gather the various information you need in order to merge 2 companies
> together as well as issues to consider when undertaking such a project?

0
info4071 (3004)
7/22/2009 8:47:01 PM
------=_NextPart_0001_9754AA99

Hi Denise

I would suggest starting a 3rd company with the combine master records and leaving the old companies for historical inquiries.

One of the biggest issues I can think of is the note indexes values.  Both companies will have note indexes which overlap. These will
need to be fixed before you could consider combining data. Also document/transaction numbers might overlap.

All I can say is .... Think carefully before opening this can of worms.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP

http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics

http://blogs.msdn.com/DevelopingForDynamicsGP

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.

------=_NextPart_0001_9754AA99

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang3081{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fprq2\fcharset0 MS Sans Serif;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Hi Denise
\par
\par I would suggest starting a 3rd company with the combine master records and leaving the old companies for historical inquiries.
\par
\par One of the biggest issues I can think of is the note indexes values.  Both companies will have note indexes which overlap. These will need to be fixed before you could consider combining data. Also document/transaction numbers might overlap.
\par
\par All I can say is .... Think carefully before opening this can of worms.
\par
\par David Musgrave [MSFT]
\par Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
\par Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific
\par
\par Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)
\par http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics
\par
\par mailto:David.Musgrave@online.microsoft.com
\par http://blogs.msdn.com/DevelopingForDynamicsGP
\par
\par Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
\par
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_9754AA99--

0
dmusgrav7144 (312)
7/23/2009 5:27:06 AM
Hi--

We partnered with MBS Professional Services to do a 7 company combine
a few years ago (with project accounting, too). The biggest hurdle we
had was with account indexes (since each company was different) and
also with ID fields like voucher number, etc.  We prefixed each
company's ID fields with a specific value so we knew where they came
from.

But if you do not want to engage with Prof Svcs due to cost, you might
consider the third company idea proposed...transfer master records and
setup, and then just import beginning balances.  Would be easier if
you do not want the more involved cost and process.

Take care,
Chistina
0
turtlesoup00 (221)

Can i apply 2 mailbox manager policies to the same mailstore ?
I have been reading up alot on this issue, and the only information i have been able to find is that you cant run more then 1 exchange recipient policy against the same user. My issue - I want to have a seperate mailbox manager policy run against each of my 4 mailstores to do a cleanup of inbox and sent / draft items. this policy moves the mail items into the deleted items folder for each mailstore. On top of this policy i want to have a policy that will delete all mail items older then 60 or 90 days depending on the mailstore from the deleted items, and delete them permanently. How ca...

Printing one pg item (visio), only prints 2nd 1/2 of page. Help?
I have a one page flowchart in Visio 2003. It fits an 8 1/2 x 11 page on print preview screen. When printed, only get 2nd half of the flowchart on the page, as though it only started printing from that point. All settings seem normal, am able to print normally in Word. Opened other visio flowcharts that had printed normally 30 minutes ago, and now only getting 2nd half of page. There were some printing issus with Visio 2003. Have applied the latest patch to Visio 2003 and are you using the latest printer drivers? John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3...

Counting empty cells within a range of cells #2
A sheet can have a variable range of adjacent cells each containing the value =1 The range defines the perimeter of, or surrounds a group of empty cells however outside the perimeter, the remaining cells on the sheet are empty as well. The task is to count the empty cells that are surrounded by the perimeter of 1�s: To do this manually, I use the @countif (range=0) function however it requires that I go into the worksheet and select the range manually. I would like to do this by formula or macro. The knowns are: 1) The location of the start/end cell of the range 2) That the next cell in ...

Toggle Button Help 2
How do I configure a toggle button to toggle a cell between 2 differen colors (in this case from blue to white and back)? I only have half o the formula but don't know how to assign the other half of the toggl to change the cell back to white. Here's my formula: Private Sub ToggleButton1_Click() Range("D20").Select With Selection.Interior .ColorIndex = 8 .Pattern = xlSolid End With End Sub How do I add the rest? Thanks.. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Josiah, Answer Toggle question #2, you can assign the function: Private Sub ToggleButton1_Click() I...

Relay Problems #2
Hello Everyone, I have setup quite a few Exchange servers in my life, but the things that has now happened to me, is quite strange. I have a SBS 2003RC2 server running here, which keeps on relaying messages! I checked the relay, authenication, etc. settings. They're all like they have to be. I checked for virusses and spyware, no luck at all... In the meantime, I had to block port 25 to stop messages sending out. I put on the logging to the highest level, but it looke like they do not use any account to logon to the smtp server, which means it is an open relay. Quite strange with ...

MSN BillPay and Money 2007 #2
Has anyone had any experience with setting up MSN BillPay in Microsoft Money 2007? From Managing Online Services within Money 2007 I signed up for MSN BillPay and have my user name and password to make payments but limited to using the MSN Web Site. When I try to enter this info in Money 2007 to activate MSN billpay online services I get a message saying that I must have "special sign-in information" other than the web based user name/password and points me back to the MSN Web Site for the needed info. My problem is that I cannot find any mention of this special sign-in on any of t...

Maintain USD currency for subsidiary companies
I am trying to set up subsidiary companies in Great Plains. We already have a US company. I am trying to set up a UK company. I am not able to decide whether to give the functional currency for UK company as USD or Pounds. What are the pros and cons of one v/s other. We are registered for multicurrency.We will need a consolidated statement in USD. We have frx but do not have the frx translator yet. Thank you. Jack, If you setup your functional currency as USD, you will not be able to print checks in Pounds. That to me is the biggest draw-back. Even if printing checks in dollars was...

Using (1), (2), (3), etc. in Risks and Issues Category values?
Do most of you use numbers, like (1), (2), (3), to define Category values for Risks and Issues to keep it "the same" as the out-of-the- box values for Status? Just curious. Thanks Andy Novak UNT Andy, I have used both with numbers and without for projects, based on the clients maturity. I would suggest if you want to make it as easy as possible to differentiate between the different risk and issues categories, put the number in, it makes it much easier to see. Alex. On Feb 20, 8:48=A0am, "ano...@unt.edu" <ano...@unt.edu> wrote: > Do most of y...

the system cannot find the file specified outlook 2003 #2
Attachments show up in emails, but when you try to open them, the messages comes up "the system cannot find the file specified", but other recipiants on same email can open theirs. ...

Outlook Shutdown #2
I am able to send/receive emails thru Outlook 2003. However, the program will not completely shutdown (the icon remains in the lower right)and I have to use the task manager to complete the shutdown. Then, when I restart outlook, I receive the message to start in "safe mode". What could be keeping outlook from completely shutting down? (OS=XP prof, 56K modem shared on a home nw) Thanks, Tracy ...

help with 2 xl sheets...
I need help with 2 worksheets. first sheet is a time schedule sheet. I need to count the total number of shifts entered in a week The sheet is set up so columns are days of weeks, each person has 2 rows, top row is the start time bottom row is end time, time is entered is in 24Hr format and shifts start at various times of days. Second I have a row of numbers 1 to 20 that is averaged in row 21 in column A. Row 1 has the most current figure, row 20 is oldest, Can I set it up so I can enter the most current number in row 1 column A and all the existing figures automatically bump down 1 row? ...

ftp server or I can saved from Ecxel? #2
I need to fine out how to save a hml workbook onto my website do I need to use ftp server or I can saved from Ecxel? Kosta ...

Sum Formula #2
I have two spreadsheets in a workbook. One has forecasts by week and the other is used for planning purposes. I need to put sum formula in my planning sheet to add up the forecasts for a set period of time. The number of weeks to sum would vary by line (I have over 500 lines in my spreadsheet so don't want to have to do this manually. e.g If I need to sum 6 weeks the formula would be SUM(E6:J6) If I need to sum 8 weeks the formula would be SUM(E6:L6) If I need to sum 9 weeks the formula would be SUM(E6:M6) TIA Rob With the number of weeks in cell B4 -- =SUM(OFFSET(Forecasts!E6...

RMS 1.x Dongle Return
Is there an expected date that the dongle from 1.x must be returned? -- John M. 6 months after v3.0 is released. ;) "John M." wrote: > Is there an expected date that the dongle from 1.x must be returned? > > -- > > John M. > > > This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_099F_01C75566.EF856370 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable John M, They've told us a _reasonable_ timeframe, whatever that means. I'm = guessing 6 months before the phone c...

=?iso-8859-1?q?equivalent_n=B4th_day_in_a_month?=
Hi , Appreciate if somebody can help with a formula to retrieve, given a date, the equivalent one of the last year. An example: today is Dec 19 th, 2005 which is the third monday of this month, then my formula should give me: Dec 20 th, 2004 (the third monday of Dec. last year) I will use later this value in a vlookup construction to retrieve other info. In this case I don=B4t want to use vba.=20 Rgds=20 Mika Hi Mika, How about this =DATE(YEAR(A1)-1,MONTH(A1),1+7*(INT(DAY(A1)/7)--(MOD(DAY(A1),7)>0)))-WEEKDAY (DATE(YEAR(A1)-1,MONTH(A1),8-WEEKDAY(A1))) -- HTH Bob Phillips (r...

Exchange 2000 - Additional Server
Hi We have 2 sites, connected via a 256k leased line, separated into 2 subnets. On the site with the Internet gateway, we have an Exchange server 2000, which currently all clients at both sites connect to via Outlook 2000. We have approx 25 users at each site. I would like to put a second exchange server at our remote site, so that when they get attachments etc, they don't have to wait forever etc. We would then have each person's mailbox on the server that they normally use, I can get my site log on scripts to deal with which Exchange server they use. I am thinking maybe we coul...

User Name #2
Every time I try to open an Excel or Word document I'm prompted to enter a user name (which is added by default). It has only recently appeared. How do I get rid of this pest? I'm using Office 2007 and Windows Vista. ...

Migrate data from 1.2 to 3.0
Hi Can i use the data migration framework to migrate data from 1.2 SBS to 3.0 Professional after doing all the required mappings ? Is there an easier way to have data from 1.2 SBS moved to 3.0 Professional? Unfortunately you cannot move data between deployments. You can only upgrade the existing CRM 1.2 deployment to 3.0. There is no 1.2 SBS Edition, so you may have to redeploy the 1.2 environment to a new place, then upgrade the system. -- Laszlo Kovacs MCSE+S, MCT, Microsoft Dynamics Certified Master "Jij" wrote: > Hi Can i use the data migration framework to migrate d...

IIS & Exchange: 2 x SMTP server?
Hi, We have IIS and Exchange running on IIS. The server was accepting incoming SMTP but the message were not stored in Exchange, also some configured domains were not accepted. In IIS and Exchange there is a configuration for SMTP and we suspected that the IIS SMTP got the incoming calls and handled it. We changed the port number of SMTP in Exchange to 8025 and as we thought a telnet session to 25 accepted mails (but not stored in Exchange), when connected to port 8025 mail was stored exchange and other domains were accepted. We tried to stop the smtp server in IIS but at every restart the...

Option to choose deposit amount and make payments on backorders. #2
Would like the option to choose deposit amount and make payments on backorders. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=a6218988-e708-4938-a567-b96fd43884af&dg=m...

Can I install my copy of Access on 2 computers? My Desktop & my Laptop ?
Some software allows more than one installation... maybe one for your regular desktop and another for your laptop. Does MS allow this for a single license copy of MS Access? Thanks for any help. "Mel" <myemaillist@gmail.com> wrote > Some software allows more than one installation... > maybe one for your regular desktop and another > for your laptop. > > Does MS allow this for a single license copy of MS Access? You'd have to read the End User License Agreement that came with your copy of Access. Licenses vary depending on version, ti...

Escape key #2
On Feb 6, 8:38 am, "Ed" <e...@hvc.rr.com> wrote: > I am using VC++ 6.0 > How do I stop the escape key from exiting my program? > Thanks. Problem solved ;) I modified CMydialog::OnSysCommand and now it works as desired Thanks all. ------------------------------------- void CEcolorDlg::OnSysCommand(UINT nID, LPARAM lParam) { if ((nID & 0xFFF0) == IDM_ABOUTBOX) { CAboutDlg dlgAbout; dlgAbout.DoModal(); } else if ((nID & 0xFFF0) == SC_CLOSE) { //if user clicked the "X" EndDialog(IDOK); //Close the dialog with IDOK (or IDCAN...

Merge Cells I can't find
I was trying to hide a column, and got a message that I couldn't, because cells in another column were involved. I don't see those cells, and "merge" is turned off. Any suggestions for finding them? Ed This quick macro will remove all merges on the current sheet: Sub RemoveMerges() Cells.UnMerge End Sub You can, of course define a range instead. -- "Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you. "Ed Kearns" wrote: > I was trying to hide a column, and got a message that I couldn't...

Converting from Lotus 1, 2, 3 docs
I have a user who has a bunch of Lotus 1, 2, 3 spreadsheets that he is trying to convert to Excel. His version of Lotus is old (version 5), his version of Excel is 2000 sp2. The files convert but they are missing pages or headings or other unacceptable qualities. Anyone any advice? Michael If you open the files using Excel and save them to an .xls format in the current version you are losing data? A while back I needed to do this. I wrote an application in VB that loops through the files, opens them using Excel (add a reference in VB to MS Office 10) and then save them in the current ...

Calc staff vacation time based on more than 1 criteria
I would like to calculate on a daily basis, accumulated vacation time based on the following criteria: Total daily hours (work and leave taken) Hours must fall on a week day Entitlement hours from another spreadsheet that are based on employee seniority and regular shift hours. 'Sheet1' in my 'Book1.xls' looks like this: A2:A372 Day of the week (starting with Sunday in A2) B2:B372 Date beginning with April 1, 2010 C2:C372 Explanation (if necessary) D2:D372 Work day 1 = it's a workday, blank = not a workday E2:E372 Paid Daily Total F2:F372 Worked hours ...