Merging 2 Companies into 1

Are there any guidelines or outline for what tables you need to look at to
gather the various information you need in order to merge 2 companies
together as well as issues to consider when undertaking such a project?

0
Denise1 (113)

It is a project and a half.  I got approval from a major client yesterday to
proceed with just this project.

You literally need to look at all of them!

I understand that MS Professional Services will do this project for you. In
my case the client cannot be down and has too many 3rd party products for us
to pass it off.

When does your project need to be completed?

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Denise" wrote:

> Are there any guidelines or outline for what tables you need to look at to
> gather the various information you need in order to merge 2 companies
> together as well as issues to consider when undertaking such a project?

0
info4071 (3001)
7/22/2009 8:47:01 PM
------=_NextPart_0001_9754AA99

Hi Denise

I would suggest starting a 3rd company with the combine master records and leaving the old companies for historical inquiries.

One of the biggest issues I can think of is the note indexes values.  Both companies will have note indexes which overlap. These will
need to be fixed before you could consider combining data. Also document/transaction numbers might overlap.

All I can say is .... Think carefully before opening this can of worms.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP

http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics

http://blogs.msdn.com/DevelopingForDynamicsGP

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.

------=_NextPart_0001_9754AA99

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang3081{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fprq2\fcharset0 MS Sans Serif;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Hi Denise
\par
\par I would suggest starting a 3rd company with the combine master records and leaving the old companies for historical inquiries.
\par
\par One of the biggest issues I can think of is the note indexes values.  Both companies will have note indexes which overlap. These will need to be fixed before you could consider combining data. Also document/transaction numbers might overlap.
\par
\par All I can say is .... Think carefully before opening this can of worms.
\par
\par David Musgrave [MSFT]
\par Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
\par Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific
\par
\par Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)
\par http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics
\par
\par mailto:David.Musgrave@online.microsoft.com
\par http://blogs.msdn.com/DevelopingForDynamicsGP
\par
\par Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
\par
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_9754AA99--

0
dmusgrav7144 (312)
7/23/2009 5:27:06 AM
Hi--

We partnered with MBS Professional Services to do a 7 company combine
a few years ago (with project accounting, too). The biggest hurdle we
had was with account indexes (since each company was different) and
also with ID fields like voucher number, etc.  We prefixed each
company's ID fields with a specific value so we knew where they came
from.

But if you do not want to engage with Prof Svcs due to cost, you might
consider the third company idea proposed...transfer master records and
setup, and then just import beginning balances.  Would be easier if
you do not want the more involved cost and process.

Take care,
Chistina
0
turtlesoup00 (221)

5.4.6 and 5.1.0 NDRs
Hello, We have setup our first Exchange 2003 server, in a an Exchange 5.5 org, and sent a test email to all of our mailboxes to see if everything was ok from the Exchange 2003 server. However, 144 mailboxes returned a 5.4.6 NDR and several returned a 5.1.0 NDR message. Does anyone know how to resolve this? As usual my boss wants Exchange 2003 setup company wide yesterday, so any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance Ste Sounds like some kind of routing loop. Can you post some information regarding the corresponding event log entries and your Exchange design. Nue &quo...

merging
Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is a certificate) and then merge the desired information from a select querry in access? Hi Tina (sttpreston@clyde.k12.oh.us), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is || a certificate) and then merge the desired information from || a select querry in access? Yes, you can. Which version of Publisher and Windows are you using? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" wit...

Microsoft Visual Studio Installer 1.1
Hi all, Where can i download the Visual Studio Installer 1.1 for Visual Studio 6? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa718352.aspx The link is not work. I need to create deployement package in VS6. Many thanks!! Martin "Martin" <martin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OJyzRz%23aKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > Where can i download the Visual Studio Installer 1.1 for Visual Studio 6? > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa718352.aspx > The link is not work. > I need to create deployement package in VS6. It ...

Sales Document Print Options #2
Hi, I'm trying to modify the above window but I have difficulties in determining which window that triggers it in order to get the SOPType and SOPNumber. So far I notice that you can open this window from Sales Transaction Entry window and Sales Transaction Inquiry Zoom window but how do you tell programmatically? Can't use Isloaded properties cause it fails if both windows are loaded. TIA, Sugih ...

Merge same transaction
I've had transactions that I've placed in my register with detailed info in the memo area only to have the same exact transaction download with no info and unrecognized as the same transaction. Traditionally I've copied and pasted the info into the downloaded transaction and then deleted my transaction. This is a real PAIN... Is there a way to tell Money that these two separate transactions are the SAME transaction and then have it merge them? It works exactly as intended when Money recognizes the transaction that's already in the register and then merges them beautiful...

Can't find how to change Y-axis range to show new data in Excel Mac 12.2.4
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a simple bar chart that I created some years ago in a previous version of Excel. I add data each month and it shows miles I drive per month over the year, very helpful to keep track of distance and gas mileage. I've extended the Y-axis range downward a few times before, but can't find out how to do it this time. I always install the latest updates from Microsoft and now I'm running Excel 2008 for Mac version 12.2.4 (100205). My Y-axis range in this chart starts at 800, but I drove only 772 miles ...

Account Group ID #2
Even though I have included Account Group ID in my FA import it is not being assigned to the asset. This is a problem since the asset G/L depends on this ID. Right now all assets appear to be defaulting to the default Account Group ID. ...

How do I use 2 sets of data in a chart
both sets of data are in the same workbook, but on two different worksheets. Hi, Have read of Jon's page http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html Cheers Andy Skeety wrote: > both sets of data are in the same workbook, but on two different worksheets. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Outlook problem!!! #2
Hullo folks. When i try to answer to group on some topic and then press send i get a message window where you can say yes, no or cancel, but there is absolutely NO text in the box what so ever. And i cannot click anywhere in the box to make my post send. What gives? Best Regards Silver. On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:42:22 -1000, Silver <dsl46016@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote: > Hullo folks. > > When i try to answer to group on some topic and then press send i get a > message window where you can say yes, no or cancel, but there is > absolutely > NO text in the box what s...

Merging 2 Companies into 1
Are there any guidelines or outline for what tables you need to look at to gather the various information you need in order to merge 2 companies together as well as issues to consider when undertaking such a project? It is a project and a half. I got approval from a major client yesterday to proceed with just this project. You literally need to look at all of them! I understand that MS Professional Services will do this project for you. In my case the client cannot be down and has too many 3rd party products for us to pass it off. When does your project need to be completed? -- Ri...

creating an address data base #2
I would like to create a database of clients, and when i type ne invoices i would like to select them so the address etc will fill int the address block automaticly -- adspreadboroug ----------------------------------------------------------------------- adspreadborough's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1565 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27192 ...

Copying Cells #2
How can I copy a range of cells (some of which are filled with gray) from one worksheet to another worksheet without deleting any data that may be in the same range on the second sheet. Say the area is from A1 thru B2. Select A1 thru B2 on the first sheet and: Edit > Copy then select cell A1 only on the second sheet and: Edit > Paste Special > Formats. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200808 "DJ" wrote: > How can I copy a range of cells (some of which are filled with gray) from one > worksheet to another worksheet without deleting any data that may be in ...

look up question #2
I have a list of people with their system rights in the next column by group. Each person may have more than one type of right in the list as follows John Smith Edit Joe Doe Submit Cathy Dory Edit John Smith Submit As you can see above, John Smith has both edit and submit rights on this list. What I am looking for is a formula where I can look down the list of names and find all instances of John Smith and then it can tell me if John Smith ever has edit rights or ever has submit rights. What I would like it to do is return a 1 if he has edit rights a...

Word mail merge

Difference in years and months between 2 dates
Hi, Does anyone know how I can get the number of years and months between 2 dates? (Using Office 2000) Thanx Subtract one from the other "Els" <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E54C0D76-1313-40EF-922C-FCB0780AD992@microsoft.com... : Hi, : : Does anyone know how I can get the number of years and months between 2 : dates? (Using Office 2000) : : Thanx Hi see http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >Does anyone know how I can get the number of years and months between 2 >dates? (Using Office 200...

Outlook backups #2
I am trying to find out some information about outlook backups. I was under the impression that with Outlook 2003 you no longer have to close down outlook to do the backup. But I was just told by a friend that that is not true the .pst files are locked and you still can't back up no matter what software you use unless outlook is closed. Does anyone know of software that will backup outlook even if it is opened or possibly will close outlook before it backs it up? Thanks Philip There are 3rd party utilities that do this. But Microsoft produced a little addon to for personal folder ...

creating chart with 2 stacked columns and 2 lines
2005 2004 cost revenue % cost revenue % A 2,608 3,377 77.22% 2,615 3,331 78.49% B 2,549 3,596 70.90% 3,069 3,793 80.90% C 2,307 2,912 79.20% 2,365 2,769 85.40% D 1,916 2,180 87.90% 2,028 2,201 92.12% E 1,659 2,413 68.76% 1,441 2,159 66.76% From the above table, I wanna have cost and revenue on the same stacked column but separate stack for year 2005 and 2004 and have % as a line (should be 2 stacked 5 stacked columns with 2 lines). I've tried it by setting the cost as a secondary axis and set it as a stacked column but the problem is it needs to use the same...

FORECASTING #2
Can someone help me. I would like to use excel to predict or forecast a number. I would like to plug in the following scenarios: 1st 2nd 1st 2nd 1st 2nd $ $ RT RT VST VST Increase % Increase 0.51 1.21 1.35 1.95 1.15 1.4 0.7 137% 0.66 1.5 1.85 2 1.25 1.33 0.84 127% 4.16 5.7 1.8 1.99 1.22 1.33 1.54 37% 4.52 11.12 1.31 2 1.23 1.47 6.6 146% 6.27 7.75 1.33 1.8 1.22 1.4 1.48 24% 6.74 14.5 0.96 2 1.13 1.54 7.76 115% 9.15 15.25 1.02 1.77 1.26 1.54 6.1 67% 11.86 23.64 1.67 2 1.41 1.55 11.78 99% 13.1 29.95 0.63 1.91 1.15 1.53 16.85 129% 14.76 25.9 1.12 1.84 1.27 1.49 11.14 75% 16.44 21.02 1.27 1.67...

Lookup help #2
Hi All Trying to basically find - if "reading" A1 on sheet 1 then find "reading" on sheet 2 in column A and return cell No On worksheet 1 in cell A1 = Reading Worksheet 2 in column A = list of teams including Reading (Reading is eg A7 on this list) Result A7 Not having much joy - I must be looking at it the wrong way. Any help greatly welcome Thanks Paul Since you already know that Column A contains your data, would the row number be good enough for you? =MATCH(A1,Sheet2!A:A,0) -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all corr...

1 Easy Question Sorry for all the posts this should be it
I found a great white paper on recovering exchange and basically says the steps everyone has told me. However, I have one last question. I just found out I don't have a system state backup. I did have to reinstall windows on top of the existing to get it to boot up. I know I can reinstall exchange over the existing and then work with the exchange databases off the white paper. I am just wondering will not having the correct system state kill me? Because I am seeing an issue like I can't remote desktop with terminal services running. Is this system state truly critical of my data? ...

mail merge/merging 2 address lists...
Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different in each and some the same. Thank you. Robin Hi Robin (vicary@kconline.com.NOSPAM), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? || I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all || the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different || in each and some the same. No, you cannot. You nee...

Crystal Reports export to Excel
Crystal Enterprise is the web-based front-end server which displays stored/linked Crystal reports to my target audience. I use an export function that sends the report data to a .csv file so my users can open and manipulate it in Excel. The file I'm trying to create MUST maintain the data types of the underlying data fields, but currently is not retaining leading zeros. Leading zeros in various fields (ID#/SSN, Zip Codes, etc.) are not recognized and retained by Excel because it seems the incoming field data is seen as numerical instead of text. Using known pre-Excel formatting ...

Custom Buttons #2
I had several custom buttons to activate some macroses in my Excel but suddenly today they disappeared. It happen for the second time. The macroses are still there in my excel10.xlb. Could someone tell me where these custom buttons are saved in excel by default, and how could i restore them? Svilen Pachedzhiev Hi menu Tools > Options > View ensure "Show all" is selected under "Objects" HTH. Best wishes Harald "Svilen Pachedjiev" <Pachedjiev.S@bnbank.org> skrev i melding news:%23czbTwx9EHA.3700@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I had several custom b...

merge and compare
We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. Is there any hope??? jimired wrote: > We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. > > Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need > to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. > > Is there any hope??? Hi have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/Zips/Compare.ZIP An add-in which compares two worksh...

Open Office #2
Can anyone advise how they've found Open Office and whether it is worth using, particularly for Excel applications? Rob "rob nobel" <robnobel@dodoNOGOOBS.com.auNOGOOBS> wrote... >Can anyone advise how they've found Open Office and whether it is worth >using, particularly for Excel applications? Depends on what you're trying to do. OO Calc's array handling is much weaker than Excel's, so many (possibly most) of the trickier array formulas given in these Excel ngs won't work in OO Calc. But most of the other techniques work. OO Calc provides onl...