Menus & Windows vs Forms in Field Level Security

We have GP9.0. What is the difference between a "window" and a "form" in
Field Level Security? I am trying to make it so that all users have to enter
a password before they can access any of the windows/forms under
Tools>>Routines>>Financial, but I'm not sure if I should select each of the
forms or each of the windows in the Resource Explorer.

Also, is there an easier way to set field security for an entire menu like
this? I know in GP7.5 we had the field level security set on the palette, but
I don't see any way of doing this for a menu. Keep in mind that I realize
that in 7.5 setting field level security only prompted for a password when
the form/window was accessed using the palettes, and I want it to prompt for
a password no matter how the user gets to that window.

Thanks,
Peter

Check out the Options in Advanced Security.  If you are using the Accelerator
in AS, then you can turn an entire menu off for a user.  The Options
determine what shows and does not show.

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

For help learning and better using Dynamics GP,... check out our books at
http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Peter Kwasnicki" wrote:

> We have GP9.0. What is the difference between a "window" and a "form" in
> Field Level Security? I am trying to make it so that all users have to enter
> a password before they can access any of the windows/forms under
> Tools>>Routines>>Financial, but I'm not sure if I should select each of the
> forms or each of the windows in the Resource Explorer.
>
> Also, is there an easier way to set field security for an entire menu like
> this? I know in GP7.5 we had the field level security set on the palette, but
> I don't see any way of doing this for a menu. Keep in mind that I realize
> that in 7.5 setting field level security only prompted for a password when
> the form/window was accessed using the palettes, and I want it to prompt for
> a password no matter how the user gets to that window.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
0
info4071 (3004)
3/7/2007 11:46:10 AM
I went into the Advanced Security and clicked the Options button at the top,
but I can't see anything about showing/hiding menus in there??

Assuming there is such a feature, does it protect the windows/forms in the
menus regardless of how they may be accessed? (not just through the menus if
applicable)

I would still like to know the difference between a "form" and a "window".

Thanks,
Peter

"Richard L. Whaley" wrote:

> Check out the Options in Advanced Security.  If you are using the Accelerator
> in AS, then you can turn an entire menu off for a user.  The Options
> determine what shows and does not show.
>
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP
> Documentation for Software Users
>
> For help learning and better using Dynamics GP,... check out our books at
> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "Peter Kwasnicki" wrote:
>
> > We have GP9.0. What is the difference between a "window" and a "form" in
> > Field Level Security? I am trying to make it so that all users have to enter
> > a password before they can access any of the windows/forms under
> > Tools>>Routines>>Financial, but I'm not sure if I should select each of the
> > forms or each of the windows in the Resource Explorer.
> >
> > Also, is there an easier way to set field security for an entire menu like
> > this? I know in GP7.5 we had the field level security set on the palette, but
> > I don't see any way of doing this for a menu. Keep in mind that I realize
> > that in 7.5 setting field level security only prompted for a password when
> > the form/window was accessed using the palettes, and I want it to prompt for
> > a password no matter how the user gets to that window.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Peter
------=_NextPart_0001_185C237A

Peter,

Turning security off form a "form" (you don't turn securty on per window)
would not allow it to be opened regardless of where it was opened from.

A form you might think of as a collection or the container for the windows.
 A form by itself isn't visible, the windows on the form are what you see
in Great Plains.  For instance if we pick the RM_Customer_Maintenance
"form" there are 3 windows on it.  The Main window that is typically
visible.  An "options" window and an "accounts" window.  All 3 of these
windows reside on the RM_Customer_Maintenance form.

patrick
mbs developer support

--------------------
From: =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgS3dhc25pY2tp?=
<PeterKwasnicki@discussions.microsoft.com>
Subject: RE: Menus & Windows vs Forms in Field Level Security
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 09:34:32 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.greatplains

"Richard L. Whaley" wrote:

> Check out the Options in Advanced Security.  If you are using the
Accelerator
> in AS, then you can turn an entire menu off for a user.  The Options
> determine what shows and does not show.
>
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP
> Documentation for Software Users
>
> For help learning and better using Dynamics GP,... check out our books at
> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "Peter Kwasnicki" wrote:
>
> > We have GP9.0. What is the difference between a "window" and a "form"
in
> > Field Level Security? I am trying to make it so that all users have to
enter
> > a password before they can access any of the windows/forms under
> > Tools>>Routines>>Financial, but I'm not sure if I should select each of
the
> > forms or each of the windows in the Resource Explorer.
> >
> > Also, is there an easier way to set field security for an entire menu
like
> > this? I know in GP7.5 we had the field level security set on the
palette, but
> > I don't see any way of doing this for a menu. Keep in mind that I
realize
> > that in 7.5 setting field level security only prompted for a password
when
> > the form/window was accessed using the palettes, and I want it to
prompt for
> > a password no matter how the user gets to that window.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Peter

newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

------=_NextPart_0001_185C237A

\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Peter,
\par
\par Turning security off form a "form" (you don't turn securty on per window) would not allow it to be opened regardless of where it was opened from.
\par
\par A form you might think of as a collection or the container for the windows.  A form by itself isn't visible, the windows on the form are what you see in Great Plains.  For instance if we pick the RM_Customer_Maintenance "form" there are 3 windows on it.  The Main window that is typically visible.  An "options" window and an "accounts" window.  All 3 of these windows reside on the RM_Customer_Maintenance form.
\par
\par patrick
\par mbs developer support
\par
\par
\par \pard\li720 --------------------
\par Thread-Topic: Menus & Windows vs Forms in Field Level Security
\par thread-index: Acdg3t3ZGfO+2iLdTcyOrj/renwtLg==
\par X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 139.142.43.31
\par From: =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgS3dhc25pY2tp?= <PeterKwasnicki@discussions.microsoft.com>
\par References:  <73644E14-E094-4D6A-9081-2522EF7003C6@microsoft.com> <9FEAE951-2267-4EAE-9A2F-07AEF1C7C1AD@microsoft.com>
\par Subject: RE: Menus & Windows vs Forms in Field Level Security
\par Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 09:34:32 -0800
\par Lines: 45
\par Message-ID: <7ED1924D-F8C6-4793-816B-F779DE14A08E@microsoft.com>
\par MIME-Version: 1.0
\par Content-Type: text/plain;
\par \tab charset="Utf-8"
\par Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
\par X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
\par Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
\par Importance: normal
\par Priority: normal
\par X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.2757
\par Newsgroups: microsoft.public.greatplains
\par Path: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
\par Xref: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl microsoft.public.greatplains:5340
\par NNTP-Posting-Host: tk2msftsbfm01.phx.gbl 10.40.244.148
\par X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.greatplains
\par
\par I went into the Advanced Security and clicked the Options button at the top,
\par but I can't see anything about showing/hiding menus in there??
\par
\par Assuming there is such a feature, does it protect the windows/forms in the
\par menus regardless of how they may be accessed? (not just through the menus if
\par applicable)
\par
\par I would still like to know the difference between a "form" and a "window".
\par
\par Thanks,
\par Peter
\par
\par "Richard L. Whaley" wrote:
\par
\par > Check out the Options in Advanced Security.  If you are using the Accelerator
\par > in AS, then you can turn an entire menu off for a user.  The Options
\par > determine what shows and does not show.
\par >
\par > --
\par > Richard L. Whaley
\par > Author / Consultant / MVP
\par > Documentation for Software Users
\par >
\par > For help learning and better using Dynamics GP,... check out our books at
\par > http://www.AccoladePublications.com
\par >
\par >
\par >
\par > "Peter Kwasnicki" wrote:
\par >
\par > > We have GP9.0. What is the difference between a "window" and a "form" in
\par > > Field Level Security? I am trying to make it so that all users have to enter
\par > > a password before they can access any of the windows/forms under
\par > > Tools>>Routines>>Financial, but I'm not sure if I should select each of the
\par > > forms or each of the windows in the Resource Explorer.
\par > >
\par > > Also, is there an easier way to set field security for an entire menu like
\par > > this? I know in GP7.5 we had the field level security set on the palette, but
\par > > I don't see any way of doing this for a menu. Keep in mind that I realize
\par > > that in 7.5 setting field level security only prompted for a password when
\par > > the form/window was accessed using the palettes, and I want it to prompt for
\par > > a password no matter how the user gets to that window.
\par > >
\par > > Thanks,
\par > > Peter
\par \pard
\par
\par
\par When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
\par newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.
\par
\par
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_185C237A--

0
prot (52)
3/7/2007 7:38:39 PM
Thanks Patrick.

I'm not actually trying to disable/enable a form/window, I am trying to set
a Password in Field Level Security to force the user to enter a password
before entering a form/window. In the Security Mode dropdown from the Field
Security Maintenance screen, there is a Password Window option and a Password
Form option (among others). It sounds and looks like from my testing that
setting the Password Form is what would be best for this case.

I am still wondering if there is a way to set this for an entire menu and
all of its associated forms/windows instead of having to set this for each
one individually.

Thanks,
Peter

"Patrick" wrote:

> [...]
> the
> > > forms or each of the windows in the Resource Explorer.
> > >
> > > Also, is there an easier way to set field security for an entire menu
> like
> > > this? I know in GP7.5 we had the field level security set on the
> palette, but
> > > I don't see any way of doing this for a menu. Keep in mind that I
> realize
> > > that in 7.5 setting field level security only prompted for a password
> when
> > > the form/window was accessed using the palettes, and I want it to
> prompt for
> > > a password no matter how the user gets to that window.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Peter

> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

No there is no way to do this "by menu".  Palettes from 7.5 were windows
with nifty looking buttons.  SO to keep people out of where they shouldn't
be the forms were put in the system series (didn't show in window lookups
then).  And so you put a password on the form itself.  Now with no more
palettes, you have the password on every window.  Same thing if you go to
Tools | Setup | System.  Those windows use to be on a secured palette.  Now
every window asks for the password individually.

So the (now long) answer is "no".

patrick
mbs dev support

"Peter Kwasnicki" <PeterKwasnicki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C278FBE1-4F0F-4AF6-AF20-B08B07A42550@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> Accelerator
>> > in AS, then you can turn an entire menu off for a user.  The Options
>> > determine what shows and does not show.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Richard L. Whaley
>> > Author / Consultant / MVP
>> > Documentation for Software Users
>> >
>> > For help learning and better using Dynamics GP,... check out our books
>> > at
>> > http://www.AccoladePublications.com

>> in
>> enter
>> the

>> like
>> palette, but
>> realize
>> when
>> prompt for

>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
>> newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

prot1 (1345)

Windows Override
I need an override logon for Windows XP This newsgroup is intended for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'd be best off reposting to a newsgroup related to Windows XP. You might also explain exactly what you mean by "override logon" when you repost, because that expression likely means different things to different people. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Jeffrey" <jcauley34@bluebottle.com> wrote in message news:10DB507B-B735-44DC-9105-B0F9FE1F8D33@mic...

Outlook Security Settings.
Hi. Have a user that is complaining about picuters that is not visable. It appears as red X. How can the user see the pictures? The user is running Outlook2003 wtih all updates. Thank you in advance. Assuming he has downloaded content enabled, see http://www.slipstick.com/problems/redx.asp. To enable download content, right click on the red x and choose the option to download content. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-reque...

right aligned menus?
is there any way to use menus from resources in right justified order? we have a customer that might like a non-English menu. TY Open the .rc file in a Text Editor and Add MFT_RIGHTJUSTIFY to the menu item. "Donald Sorenson" <dony_s@excite.com> wrote in message news:OyeQn1TfEHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > is there any way to use menus from resources in right justified order? we > have a customer that might like a non-English menu. > > TY > > TY! but I didn't find the right place in the script file... I tried to OR (|) it with the first M...

Windows 2008 R2 Agent Deployment
I just installed DPM 2007 SP1 on a server hosting Windows Server 2008 R2. All appears to be working on the server. When i try to deploy agents using DPM to my workstations, on the browse list i see many systems, but do not see any which are running Windows Server 2008 R2. I would like to deploy agents to Windows 2008 R2 servers using DPM. How can i go about installing the agents on these systems. Thanksm, Mike Can you please follow the manual agent installation path? Please find the required steps at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb870935.aspx Than...

Pressing TAB
Is it possible to create a form in excel 2000? Is it possible that as soon as you open a worksheet it will go to a specific field, and from there on pressing TAB will go to the next specific field? How can I accomplish this? Thanx, Ziggy --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Without using code, you could try this approach: http://tinyurl.com/2onkf -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Ziggy >" <<Ziggy.1141ku@excelfo...

Outlook vs. Outlook Express #3
I have XP Professional on my Dell Laptop and Outlook Express. Am I supposed to have Outlook (and not express)? How do I upgrade to Outlook from Outlook Express? You buy it as part of an office package. Outlook express comes with Internet Explorer which comes with all Windows operating systems >-----Original Message----- >I have XP Professional on my Dell Laptop and Outlook >Express. Am I supposed to have Outlook (and not >express)? How do I upgrade to Outlook from Outlook >Express? >. > ...

Changing a Subreport's Recordsource via a Form
I have a form that calls up a report. The form has a checkbox and if checked, changes the recordsource to QueryA. If unchecked, it changes the recordsource to QueryB. When I try to run the report, I get a run-time error of 2465 and the message says "Microsoft Office Access can't find the field 'chkBoxField' referred to in your expression". Below is my code: If Forms![frmMainMenu]![chkBoxField] = True Then Me.RecordSource = "QueryB" Else Me.RecordSource = "QueryA" End If Any ideas?? I cannot find the control with tha...

Problem with Windows Update
I have a Windows 2008 Server Standard Edition X64 SP2 with all the updates up to this week. this week it started failing on the update for KB967723. The error code is 80070003. The KB search finds nothing on this. the hyperlink on the event log entry tells me to check my spelling(?). anyone had this problem too? I tried shutting down the server to clear any problems it might have had in memory, but this did not help. the server is set for automatic update so I also re-downloaded the update manually and the installation still failed. What should I try next? IF I don't rep...

import Windows Performance Log to excel
Hello... is there a way to import Windows Performance Log file to Excel so that its data can be used to generate charts? Thanks for your responses in advance. Rob If you configure the Performance Log(s) to be comma or tab delimited text files then you can open them in Excel and save the resultant spreadsheet. Never tried it but the theory holds. If you've got binary files I don't know how you'd go about it. Regards Trevor "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A752F11-E888-4059-BC1D-27E08A3F7A0C@microsoft.com... > Hello... is th...

SFO/Web Client
....for example, OL automatically formats phone numbers no matter how you enter them in a contact form. It is a tedious issue, but people come to expect this from applications these days. You may want to enter your suggestions at the CustomerSource site under "Global Suggestions". -- Brandon Smith IT Director Presentations Direct - Specialized Office Equipment & Supplies http://www.presentationsdirect.com "John BTV" <JohnBTV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1582791-B689-43FC-A5E9-FC7C2B318503@microsoft.com... > ...for example, OL autom...

Pb using the CCI: field in a mass mailing. Please help ...
Hi everybody, I need help badly. I have an application that OLE Automate Outlook to fill To: and CCI: field of an email and send it from Outlook. The CCI: can contain up to 1500 address and the To: field contains only one email. When Outlook send the message, I get this error message : Some of the recipients or all recipients didn't receive your message. Object : This is my message Object Date : 24/10/03 13:37 Unable to contact the following recipient(s) : 'anemailaddress@thatisvalid.fr' le 24/10/03 12:37 No supplier of transportation was available for the d...

RMS 2.0/Windows Permissions Error
Good Morning Everyone, I have a question for the group. I have a customer running RMS 2.0, pre SP2 on Windows XP. The customer is trying to lock down his cashiers from installing unauthorized software and other such abuses on the computers. Here is the problem. When locked down he is getting the error: "Server Failure 139: A server failure occurred while attempting to read the register." This error only happens as the POS and goes away when the user is added as a local administrator. I am fairly confident this is a problem with permissions regarding licensing or OPOS, bu...

tabs in memo field
Is it possible to have the "tab" character in a memo field. It is alot easier to align columns in a memo field if you can tab to the correct position. -- Thanks David Davis Access 2007 supports rich text in memo fields, so you can use tab characters in the newest version. In older versions, you cannot embed a tab character in the text. The nearest you can do is to trap the character in the KeyDown event of the text box, and substitute 4(?) spaces in the Text. Use SelStart and SelLen to get back to the right place. Unfortunately, this doesn't work with more than 32k c...

Changing Windows
Is it possible to dynamically change windows by switching the pointers/handles? It could apply to pretty much any window. I am trying to create dynamic splitter using a static splitter. Currently, I delete all views and change the parameters of the splitterwnd to not create a view. Then, I simply delete the splitterwnd, recreate it, then recreate the views. That works just fine and dandy. I was thinking of adding a DefaultView in place of a view, then just replacing pointers, so I don't have to delete the view and recreate it. I would like to changing this m_wndSplitter.Create...

data from 2 drop down menus
I have been working on a database that would allow a user to select a supplier name from a drop down combo box, then select the quarter from another drop down, and input 3 values that would generate a percentage for them immediately. My approach was to create separate tables for each quarter and then pull from each by using a query that would link all the quarters as defined by the supplier name. I wanted ot know if anyone had any ideas on how to organize the data so that the drop down menus can be used for both the Supplier name and the Quarter. I had it set up before so that the quarters ...

Money 2005 and Windows Vista
I cureently run Windows Vista Home Premium and Microsoft Money Standard (Ver. 14.0.120.805). Every time I start Money I get a popup window with this message : An update is available for your Money software. To install this update, you must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group. Log of Windows, and then log back on as a member of the Administrators group. Restart this program to install the update. For more information, see Windows Help. Now, I am logged on as an administrator and even when I log off and log back on and restart Money I still keep geting this message, ...

Memo field missing
Hi I transferred an userform from one to another computer. When i open it the memo field is missing! No error message everthing else is ok. Can Anyone help me Please? E.Zenker E.Zenker" <Ewald@web.de> schrieb ...When i open it the memo field is missing... Hi over there, please try to rename the Frmcache.dat file and restart Outlook. -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch! Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etwas davon hat. Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de Thanks for reply, I renamed the file. Started outlook new. Opened the userform. Unfortunately the s...

Form to subform container
1. You have a main form ("frm_main") and a subform ("sub_main) on the main form in a subform container ("sfrmMain"). On the subform is a text box named "txtToday." How would you set the text box to the current date and time from a button on the main form? The part about this question that I don't get is the "container". What's a container? Robert Already answered in another newsgroup to which you posted the same question. If you feel you need to post to more than one group (HINT: it's seldom necessary), please ha...

Windows Explorer crashing when opening video files
Just got a Core2 Duo machine with XP Pro SP3. I find the explorer window I'm in keeps crashing when clicking on video files. Doesn't seem to matter which drive it is whether internal or external. Does it every time. If I click on the file before I hit acknowledge the warning message that comes up the file opens and continues to play in Win Media but the explorer window crashes, the desktop resets. Any idea how to cure this? Thanks muzician21 wrote: > Just got a Core2 Duo machine with XP Pro SP3. I find the explorer > window I'm in keeps crashing when clicking...

hot corner: all windows
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel hello - i use the hot corner "all windows" shortcut a lot for school, as i generally have multiple word documents, mozilla, pdfs, etc all open at the same time. when "all windows" are shown, i can scroll over my open windows and see the file or program names of all of these windows. for example, when i scroll over firefox, it says "gmail"..scroll over finder and it says "lecture notes"...but the problem is now (i think after my word 2008 update) i can no longer see the file names o...

how i can get form by menu in MainFrame
hi How i can get form with the help of menu of mainframe. Arbind Hi, I think this will help you out. Rgds, kas CWnd* pMain = AfxGetMainWnd(); // The main window _can_ be NULL, so this code // doesn't ASSERT and actually tests. if (pMain != NULL) { // Get the main window's menu CMenu* pMenu = pMain->GetMenu(); // If there is a menu and it has items, we'll // delete the first one. if (pMenu != NULL && pMenu->GetMenuItemCount() > 0) { pMenu->DeleteMenu(0, MF_BYPOSITION); // force a redraw of the menu bar pMai...

Fresh Vista 64 install & Windows Updates Not Working
i installed vista 64 bit yesterday on a new macine. its a very erarly copy. i seam to be having isues with the windows updates working. it keeps downloading same files over n over. i had to repair vista start up a couple tijes now. im trying the falowing download of ms website i just hope they right. sp1: Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave1.exe sp2: Windows6.0-KB948465-X64.exe if this dosent work can anyone ofer some sugestions??? Alice "Alice" <sweetalice79@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ABAB0FA6-F4AF-489F-87E1-72F922572BEA@microsoft.com... > i ins...

i want all windows in one excel frame (windows in taskbar)
Hi I am using Office 2007 and need all excel windows under 1 excel frame so that i can switch between windows Open Excel Options (from Office tool - colourful ball) Open Advanced tab in left of dialog Locate Display group Put check in Show All Windows in Taskbar best wishes -- Bernard Liengme http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme Microsoft Excel MVP "Subramanya" <Subramanya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7836B5CF-B994-48B4-AE3A-64300C15E0BB@microsoft.com... > Hi > I am using Office 2007 and need all excel windows under 1 excel frame so >...

Menus are cutoff
I'm having a problem on some laptops where the menus are cutoff at the bottom in CRM web client. For example if you are in the Account screen and select the menu Tools, you can't see or select the options menu that is supposed to be at the bottom of this menu. Everything works fine on most laptops, but on some I'm having this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. -- Mike Parks Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta, Georgia I'm having the same problem on some desktops with the web client. Various items from menus are missing, including ...

Calculated Field 10-29-07
Im fairly new to access, and have a quick question. I have 1 table with a bunch of fields. of those fields, i have Open and Delivered (as in a # of open emailed, and # of delivered emails). Id like to divide the two fields to find a percentage, and then store that number in a field called Open Rate, which also resides in the same table. how can i SAVE this number to the table? On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:25:08 -0700, rogerscmg@gmail.com wrote: > Im fairly new to access, and have a quick question. I have 1 table > with a bunch of fields. of those fields, i have Open and Delivered (as &g...