Mastering Great Plains Tables

Greetings,
Does anyone have or know where I can acquire a detailed document
detailing every single Great Plains table?  I've used the data
dictionary on and off over the years and have familiarity with a decent
number of the important tables that are critical to my work, but is
there something a little more detailed so that I can get at least a
cursory understanding of *all* the tables?

I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
what's in each table?

Thanks,
Rob Wuhrman

0
rwuhrman (30)

Have you reviewed the SDK that's on the CD.  There's a lot of information
there.

"Rob Wuhrman" wrote:

> Greetings,
> Does anyone have or know where I can acquire a detailed document
> detailing every single Great Plains table?  I've used the data
> dictionary on and off over the years and have familiarity with a decent
> number of the important tables that are critical to my work, but is
> there something a little more detailed so that I can get at least a
> cursory understanding of *all* the tables?
>
> I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
> writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
> myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
> that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
> something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
> what's in each table?
>

> Thanks,
> Rob Wuhrman

0
SteveChapman (349)
12/28/2005 10:58:02 PM
Tools > Resource Descriptions Tables used to have that information.
Some time back - ( ver 6 maybe) they started removing that information
because it had not been updated.  GP used to have direct to table import
tool and this additional info would have some advice about that - mostly "we
strongly advise against importing into this table" or something along those
lines.  Anyway, that's gone and no sign of it coming back.

This is consistent with a general shift towards not exposing table
structures and instead directing almost all seekers to abstractions such as
Web Services.  This is a good thing. Just as developers no longer hve to
worry about managing extents in SQL server or worrying about optimizing
query performance, we too will not have to worry about table structures (and
table versions) and just worry about the data object.

That said, for those who still fell the need, as you (and I) do, we are left
with a little help.
there is Snapshot from www.winthropdc.com  -David Musgrave wrote it.
You can examine any Dexterity table and store your notes about it.

I think David had a few other tools in mind as well.

Regards
HS

:
: I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
: writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
: myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
: that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
: something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
: what's in each table?
:
:
: Thanks,
: Rob Wuhrman
:

0
HSalim (1270)
12/29/2005 3:06:17 AM
There is a company that produced some pretty detailed data flow documentation
for the various series. Unfortunately, I can't find the web site. As soon as
I do, I'll post the information.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"Rob Wuhrman" wrote:

> Greetings,
> Does anyone have or know where I can acquire a detailed document
> detailing every single Great Plains table?  I've used the data
> dictionary on and off over the years and have familiarity with a decent
> number of the important tables that are critical to my work, but is
> there something a little more detailed so that I can get at least a
> cursory understanding of *all* the tables?
>
> I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
> writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
> myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
> that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
> something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
> what's in each table?
>

> Thanks,
> Rob Wuhrman

0
callen (2505)
12/29/2005 4:07:02 AM
Rob,

There is some good information in a book published and available from
www.accoladepublications.com called Information Flow and Posting for Great
Plains.  It adds to the scanty information in the Resouirce Description
listings.

Check it out.

"Rob Wuhrman" wrote:

> Greetings,
> Does anyone have or know where I can acquire a detailed document
> detailing every single Great Plains table?  I've used the data
> dictionary on and off over the years and have familiarity with a decent
> number of the important tables that are critical to my work, but is
> there something a little more detailed so that I can get at least a
> cursory understanding of *all* the tables?
>
> I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
> writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
> myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
> that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
> something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
> what's in each table?
>

> Thanks,
> Rob Wuhrman

Hi
Please Go thru below Post

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/newsReader.aspx?&guid=&sloc=en-US&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains&p=1&tid=7372543d-0fbf-4e82-92fc-85e5a22a2c7e

Thanks

"Rob Wuhrman" wrote:

> Greetings,
> Does anyone have or know where I can acquire a detailed document
> detailing every single Great Plains table?  I've used the data
> dictionary on and off over the years and have familiarity with a decent
> number of the important tables that are critical to my work, but is
> there something a little more detailed so that I can get at least a
> cursory understanding of *all* the tables?
>
> I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
> writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
> myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
> that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
> something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
> what's in each table?
>

> Thanks,
> Rob Wuhrman

0
PradeepMV (108)
1/2/2006 11:36:02 AM
Getting Table and Field Information in Microsoft Great Plains

To get information about tables and fields in Microsoft Business
Solutions—Great Plains, you can use any of the following methods:

1. Open the Great Plains window which contains the data you are interested
in, and then select Tools -> Integrate -> Table Import to see the tables
associated with the Dexterity Form.

2. Open the Great Plains window which contains the data you are interested
in, and then select Tools -> Customise -> Customise Current Window. Once
you’re in Modifier Layout mode, look at the window object properties. Usually
the most important table for a form is linked as the AutoLink table. Then
close the layout window and look at the Tables tab of the Form Definition
window to see the attached tables (these will be the same as shown in method
1).

Note: Using this method can create additional windows in the Modifier that
have not actually been modified.  You should check if the window already
exists in the Modifier before using this method, so then you know whether the
window can be deleted or not.

3. Try using SQL logging by adding the following lines into the DEX.INI file:

SQLLogSQLStmt=TRUE
SQLLogODBCMessages=TRUE
SQLLogAllODBCMessages=TRUE

Then delete the DEXSQL. LOG just before performing the actions you are
interested in and look at the DEXSQL.LOG file immediately after.

4. Load the SDK (Software Developers Kit). The kit contains transaction flow
documents that show which tables to use for specific transactions. It also
contains PDF E-R (Entity-Relationship) diagrams that show the tables and
their relationships.

5. Select Tools -> Resources -> Tables, and use the Table Resource window to
look up tables.

6. Use a tool such as SnapShot (available from the Development page of
Winthrop Dexterity Consultants <link to http://www.winthropdc.com/ > ). This
tool can display and export information about tables. However, its main
function is to provide platform and account framework independent data
transfer, backup, and migration.

7. Load Dexterity (from the Tools folder on the second Microsoft Great
Plains CD), open the dictionary, and look at the form definition to get the
attached tables. This will be the same list as provided in methods 1 or 2.

8. Open the window and print the associated report to the screen. Next
select Tools -> Customise -> Modify Current Report. Then look at the tables
attached to the report from the Report Definition.

Note: Using this method can create additional reports in the Report Writer
that have not actually been modified.  You should check if the report already
exists in the Report Writer before using this method, so then you know
whether the window can be deleted or not.

9. This is probably the most powerful of all the methods listed and is
normally available only to the Dexterity developer. Add the following lines
into the DEX.INI file in the application folder to turn Debug mode on.
(Please do not use these settings for live systems.)

ScriptDebugger=TRUE
ScriptDebuggerProduct=0

The zero represents the product ID for Microsoft Great Plains (as shown in
the DYNAMICS.SET launch file). If you are interested in another product, you
can use the product ID for that product.

Launch Microsoft Great Plains. You should now see a Debug menu on the right
side of the menu bar. Get to where you want to start logging and profiling.
Select Debug -> Profile Scripts, Debug -> Clear Profile, Debug -> Log Scripts
and select a filename. Then perform the actions you want to log. Next select
Debug -> Log Scripts to stop the logging, Debug -> Save Profile to save the
profile, and Debug -> Profile Scripts to turn off profiling.

Now look at the script log and the script profile files. The script log
shows all the Dexterity calls with their parameters and hierarchy. The script
profile shows you the scripts called, how many times they were called, and
how much time was spent inside the call. Here is the trick: The bottom half
of the script profile shows all the tables that were touched and what actions
took place.

Note: This step only logs Dexterity based table actions. If a stored
procedure is called, Dexterity cannot see what is happening. Therefore,
Dexterity will not log those table actions.

10. You could also turn on SQL activity tracking from Enterprise Manager to
see what actions Microsoft SQL Server is doing.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Senior Development Consultant
MBS Services - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Business Solutions

mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com

and confers no rights.

"Rob Wuhrman" wrote:

> Greetings,
> Does anyone have or know where I can acquire a detailed document
> detailing every single Great Plains table?  I've used the data
> dictionary on and off over the years and have familiarity with a decent
> number of the important tables that are critical to my work, but is
> there something a little more detailed so that I can get at least a
> cursory understanding of *all* the tables?
>
> I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
> writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
> myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
> that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
> something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
> what's in each table?
>

> Thanks,
> Rob Wuhrman

0
dmusgrav1 (1325)
1/4/2006 4:20:03 AM
Check out the information from Winthrop, it is incredible - and it works
EVERY time!!

Leslie

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> There is a company that produced some pretty detailed data flow documentation
> for the various series. Unfortunately, I can't find the web site. As soon as
> I do, I'll post the information.
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP
>

> "Rob Wuhrman" wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> > Does anyone have or know where I can acquire a detailed document
> > detailing every single Great Plains table?  I've used the data
> > dictionary on and off over the years and have familiarity with a decent
> > number of the important tables that are critical to my work, but is
> > there something a little more detailed so that I can get at least a
> > cursory understanding of *all* the tables?
> >
> > I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
> > writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
> > myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
> > that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
> > something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
> > what's in each table?
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Rob Wuhrman

0
LeslieVail (702)
1/24/2006 6:39:01 AM

"Rob Wuhrman" wrote:

> Greetings,
> Does anyone have or know where I can acquire a detailed document
> detailing every single Great Plains table?  I've used the data
> dictionary on and off over the years and have familiarity with a decent
> number of the important tables that are critical to my work, but is
> there something a little more detailed so that I can get at least a
> cursory understanding of *all* the tables?
>
> I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
> writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
> myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
> that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
> something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
> what's in each table?
>

> Thanks,
> Rob Wuhrman
>
> Charles Chapman is right.  There is a company out there that had created awesome and detailed notes for programmers (and humans) :) to digest.  Google for it or look in the services directory in Partnersource.

Rearrange data columns in Pivot Table
In a pivot table, how do you rearrange the column order in the data section? Right now I show columns named A, B, C, and Grand Total. I want to be able to rearrange them as follows (for example): Grand Total, B, A, C. I am using Excel 2000. TIA Hi i'm not sure if you can move the "grand total" column, but the others can be easily re-arranged by just typing the names in the order you want (ensure that you don't make any typing errors though), what i mean is, click on the A heading and type B once you press enter B will now come first and A will be moved continue as req...

How do I make the results of a Query into field names on a table?
I have a query with just one row of data - how do I make that row of data as the field names of an existing table? If not existing table can it be done to a new table? Can it be done at all? Regards M Chahal In query design view, choose Append on the Query menu (or in Access 2007, Append on the Design ribbon.) Access adds a row to the design grid where you can map the fields. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "M Chahal" <MChahal@discus...

Implemeting Portals in Great Plains?
Hi All, What are the requierments to implement Portals for Great Plains for other branchs to be able to access it online through the internet? Does Microsoft provide a While Papers for Portals Deployements Guide ? Thanks, Habibalby There are a few white papers concerning Business Portal, a Sharepoint-based portal. You may want to log into CustomerSource and review them. "MS GPS" <habibalby@gmail.com> wrote in message news:eM4O6bTxFHA.3856@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > > What are the requierments to implement Portals for Great Plains for other > br...

Suppress Zeros in a Pivot Table
Can I suppress zeros in a Pivot Table? Many of the results are zero, how can I hide the rows without using a macro. thanks Simon Shaw You could add a column of formulas in a hidden part of the pivot table worksheet, then use it to filter the pivot table. For example, if your pivot table is in cells A3:J100, and has two row fields, enter the following formula in cell R2: =AND(A2="",B2<>"",SUM(C2:P2)=0) Copy the formula down to the last row to which the pivot table will potentially reach In cell R1, enter a heading, e.g. Filter Select cell R1, and choose D...

what does "data source reference is not valid' in Pivot table
Can someone tell me how to resolve 'data source reference is not valid' error while creating a pivot table Hi, I Googled your question and found 21,000,000 + answers. Could luck ! -- Pecoflyer Cheers - 'Firefox 3.5' (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html) really IS fast ! ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Pecoflyer's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=126977 ...

Pivot Tables #12
Hello. Is there a way for pivot tables to count a field only if it contains a string of characters? Example data: number results 1 a,b,c 2 a,b,c 3 a,b,c 4 b,c,d 5 b,c,d 6 a,b 7 e,f 8 a,b,c 9 a,b,c 10 a,b,c 11 b,c,d 12 b,c,d 13 a,b 14 e,f 15 a,b,c 16 a,b,c 17 a,b,c 18 b,c,d 19 b,c,d 20 a,b 21 e,f I want to count results that contain "a", and results that contain "b" etc. -- Thanks, Mike ...

MS Publisher: How to change master pages w/o opening the master?
I have numerous different master pages that work in all of my documents. I would like to change master pages in a document without having to open the master page. Is there any kind of shortcut keys. Cuttently I have to hit "ctrl m" then close the master to get the "apply master page" window open to change masters. Doesn't the Master Page task pane open? Right-click the toolbar, customize, view, drag the Master Page to the toolbar. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "JimO" <JimO@d...

calculated field from a form to table
Can you take a calculated field from a form and pull it in to a table?? You can but you should not. Instead, calculate the value each time you need it. Stored values are almost guaranteed to get out of synch sooner or later. HTH -- -Larry- -- "Darren" <Darren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A519CB5-029B-46FF-80B5-22D6FEA0C7AB@microsoft.com... > Can you take a calculated field from a form and pull it in to a table?? Ok, makes sense. If i wanted to do it to get a snapshot and save that in the table, how do you do this? "Larry Daugherty" w...

Master Post - Financial Series
Hello, we have Post TO GL so after posting in the sub series, there are batches in the Financial series that need to be posted. But how do I view the transactions that make up those batches? When I mark / unmark a line and click the Batch ID hyperlink then the Transaction button, it doesn't display any transactions. What is the best way to review the transactions that make up a batch in Master Post - Financial Series? Thanks, MP MP, The same Batch Entry window opens from Master Posting as from any other area in GP. When you click on the Transactions button, you have ...

Pivot Tables drag & drop
Sometimes when I attempt to create my Pivot Tables in 2007 it will not let me drag and drop my data in the new sheet. It won't show the small icon for columns or rows. I have to drag it to the box on the bottom right(row labels, column labels...etc). Don't know how to do the VALUES. But my problem is the drag and drop and icon displaying. I only see this problem in some 2007 spreadsheets when I create the new Pivot Table. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong. Is this a know problem that can easily be resolved? How can I fix this problem? Thanks, Ty After creating t...

Update Master Project
Hello, I have two Projects located in the same folder. They are named Master and KTR Updates. Is it possible to use vba to update the master Project with updates from the KTR Updates project? Each week I receive a new KTR updates project from KTR production. I've queried this group for this issue but was not able to locate one. Updates could possibly include updates in progress(% compl), start, finish, actual start, actual finish. Updates may also have completed tasks removed from the KTR updates Project as well as new tasks added. I'm primarily interested in acq...

MS CRM Install & Config Master Certification
I am planning to get the "CRM Installation & Config Master Certification".... I already took the three "base" Certification Exams for CRM...(plus I already have Exam 70-228 on SQL Server) Micrsoft (US Site) states that you need 4 exams (and this would mean I am already certifided right now), but the Italian sub-site says you need 6 exams to get this certification... I alreday wrote to MBS group in order to get a clarification, but no reply until now... Is any of you certified on CRM? if yes, which certification and how many exams did you take??? regards, Antoni...

master template
Hi, I believe there is a way to do this but it's been quite a while since I've had to do anything like it. Is there a way to create one template datasheet as a 'master' sheet and then have several copies of the master. Whatever changes occur in the master will flow into the copies? Thanks Derek It really depends on *exactly* what your meaning of "copies" is. If you're talking about opening a 'copy' of the template, adding data and/or calculating, then *saving* under a different name in a pertinent (read other then template folder), AFAIK, the an...

Reading Outlook 2002 Mail in Plain Text
Hi there: I recently moved over to Outlook from Outlook Express. The version of = Outlook I 'own' is Outlook XP/2002 which I have running on Windows XP. In Outlook Express I could choose to read all my email in plain text. If = I wanted, I could choose to display the HTML in an HTML-formatted email = by pressing ALT+SHIFT+H. I've read the MS knowledgebase article that explains how to read all my = email in plain text in Outlook 2002. But is there a similar keyboard = combination or some other way that I can choose to see the HTML? Daddy No, you can't quickly convert to HTM...

Can a field from Non-Great Plains "product" be added to Report Wri
Hi, I am working on modifying the AR Historical Aged Trial Balance report in Great Plains. There is a one field I need on my report from a non-Great Plains "product", Wennsoft Job Cost to be specific. Wennsoft's Job Cost contains a field called "Job Name" and I want to put that on my GP AR aging trial balance. The problem is when I go into Report Writer and select product "Great Plains", I cannot create table relationships with the product "Wennsoft" to establish the link. Does anyone know how I can pull this Wennsoft field onto my AR Aging ...

data tables #2
I have a modest spreadsheet i'm using for a linear programming problem which computes five results from two inputs. I am trying to automate the process so i don't have to manually change the inputs and then transfer the outputs by hand. THE data table function would do the trick but i can't figure out what to use for the function. the functional dependences are not easily describable with a formula like x,y=f(a,b,c,d,e) that can be entered into one cell. Rather they are buried in the formulas that make up the spreadsheet. I tried using "scenarios" but the manu...

Tables Update Interrupted #2
What does this mean? The accountant was in the process of posting this batch and the above status of the batch comes up. I went into batch recovery, now the status is marked. rcr, Somehow that particular batch got marked. Asking the user to log out and logging in back sometimes take away the marked status. If it doesn't, Go to SQL, Run the following query against DYNAMICS Database UPDATE SY00800 SET MKDTOPST = 0 WHERE BATCHID = "XXX" --REPLACE THE BATCH ID WITH YOUR BATCH Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP "rcr" wrote: > What does this mean? The accountant was in...

Retrieve tables from web with variable URL
Hello, This URL http://www.bibf.be/ipc/tamenu.asp has a field "postcode", asking for a 4-digit entry and leading to the links of all members of that postal code when all other inputs are omitted. The visible URL in the URL bar , however , remains unchanged. I have a list in Excel with several postal codes e.g. 2200 2500 2222 3000 for which I want to retrieve the members tot list them up on a worksheet. I know enough VBA to do that if I only knew the key to build that postal code into the URL. Is there a way to do that? Thank you very much for any help. Herman ...

Pivot Table unable to Include Hidden Items In Subtotals
I have set up a pivot table that lists only the Top 10 values in a column, but also want the subtotal for the entire column, including the hidden items. Excel Help tells me that I can click the "Include Hidden Items in Totals" button, but the button is not available. I followed the help instructions to first select "Subtotal Hidden Page Items" then to unselect it and didn't get my result in either case. Any ideas on why the button is not available? AFAIK, that button is only available if your using an OLAP cube as the source data. For other sources, you can ...

how to print a master sheet together with another sheet
i need to print a master sheet with a result sheet it is in the same workbook but on a different sheet but i need to print them on one sheet ...

Anyone using Open Air with Great Plains
My company is implementing Open Air with Great Plains. If anyone is using Open Air, I would like to discuss how you are exchanging data with Great Plains. Please post. My email is scott-williams@hotmail.com Scott Hi Scott, the VAR I used to work for are using Open Air and import invoicing from it through IM. You might want to contact them to see if they are willing to help you or at least give you a few hints. See their web site to contact them: www.strophe.com -- Frederik Gagnon Analyst Programmer Dexterity Engineer "Scott" wrote: > My company is implementing Open ...

email invoices in batche via Forms Printer with Great Plains 8
We use Forms Printer with Great Plains 8.0, sp2 for our Sales documents and have been very pleased with it. We have just begun emailing invoices to our customers, so far just a small test pool. If we manually create a separate batch for just these customers, emailing works great. But we don't normally manually create batches. We typically create, via integration manager, 2 invoices batches each day of about 100 to 300 invoices, with the email customers' invoices interleaved with the standard print ones. If, by batch, I choose a Forms Printer sales document and choose 'Pr...

formula in a pivot table?
Hello guys, is that true that excel-pivot is only able to sum (meanvalue is no selectable) from a formula made table. usually you put by drag and dro the data field into your table. but you also can put by hand a formula which is quit useful sometimes. after lunching the data-field in your pivot you can say pleasy show me the minimum or the meanvalue. It looks like that is not possible when you create a data-field using formula. then excel is just able to sum that ****... do you have any other idea?? cheers, filipu -- filipu ------------------------------------------------------------...

Sum a table of columns & rows
I have a spreadsheet of 154 Rows (all unique project numbers in numerical order) and 9 columns of account numbers (some are similiar and some are user entered, therefore there could be 'blanks' with no data in them). I am trying to create a table that will only give me the project number if there are dollars in one or more of the columns. This would be used for data entry (and that is why I would like to have the columns summed up - to remove duplicates). Any ideas? I have given a brief example below: F, G, &am...

master
What is meant by master and master shorcut in Microsoft Visio? A Master is a shape definition. It stores all the information about a shape: it's geometry, text, behaviors, formatting, custom properties, etc. It also stores the icon you see in the Shapes window. When you open a drawing and see shapes in the Shapes window, you are looking at Masters. You can drag a Master onto the drawing to create a Shape instance. The difference between a Master and a Shape is not that important to most users, and we often refer to both items as shapes. If you begin to create your own shapes, M...