Item Variants in Gp 9.0

how can I handle item variants in GP 9.0?

Examples:

Widget 1 has a part number of "A100". It comes in three colors (Red Blue
Green).
Widget 2 has part number "B2000". It comes in two finishes (brushed and
mirror)

In another MBS Dynamics product I only enter item "A100" and item "B2000". I
can then add variant codes for the colors on item A100 and other variant
codes for the finishes on item B2000. This is handled from a single item
card. WHen items are sold or purchased, the variant code is entered in a
separate field from the item number.

But as far as I can determine, GP will require me to enter separate item
cards for each variant(Item "A100-RED", "A100-BLU", "A100-GRE", "B2000-BRU",
and "B2000-MIR". And if an item varies in more than one way, separate item
cards will be required for all permutations ("C250-BLU-MIR"). Is my
understanding correct, or is there a way to handle these item variations
without creating  a separate item card for each?

Maybe GP uses a term other than "variant" that I just need to be gently
herded towards?

Thanks in advance,

David
0
dleroux (57)

Not really available in the standard product.  I have a client that uses lot
numbers to accomplish a similar thing.  But you should look at the Matrix
Inventory product from Compass Technology
http://www.compasstechnologies.com/    It's the best solution I know of.

"dleroux" wrote:

> how can I handle item variants in GP 9.0?
>
> Examples:
>
> Widget 1 has a part number of "A100". It comes in three colors (Red Blue
> Green).
> Widget 2 has part number "B2000". It comes in two finishes (brushed and
> mirror)
>
> In another MBS Dynamics product I only enter item "A100" and item "B2000". I
> can then add variant codes for the colors on item A100 and other variant
> codes for the finishes on item B2000. This is handled from a single item
> card. WHen items are sold or purchased, the variant code is entered in a
> separate field from the item number.
>
> But as far as I can determine, GP will require me to enter separate item
> cards for each variant(Item "A100-RED", "A100-BLU", "A100-GRE", "B2000-BRU",
> and "B2000-MIR". And if an item varies in more than one way, separate item
> cards will be required for all permutations ("C250-BLU-MIR"). Is my
> understanding correct, or is there a way to handle these item variations
> without creating  a separate item card for each?
>
> Maybe GP uses a term other than "variant" that I just need to be gently
> herded towards?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> David
0
SteveChapman (349)
2/6/2006 10:19:28 PM
Thanks Steve.

I checked out the Matrix Inventory from compass - unfortunately it looks
like it will not work due to other client requirements. I'll investigate the
lot numbering approach (I know it won't be ideal, but hte client has some
very specific requirements in other ares)

"Steve Chapman" wrote:

> Not really available in the standard product.  I have a client that uses lot
> numbers to accomplish a similar thing.  But you should look at the Matrix
> Inventory product from Compass Technology
> http://www.compasstechnologies.com/    It's the best solution I know of.
>
> "dleroux" wrote:
>
> > how can I handle item variants in GP 9.0?
> >
> > Examples:
> >
> > Widget 1 has a part number of "A100". It comes in three colors (Red Blue
> > Green).
> > Widget 2 has part number "B2000". It comes in two finishes (brushed and
> > mirror)
> >
> > In another MBS Dynamics product I only enter item "A100" and item "B2000". I
> > can then add variant codes for the colors on item A100 and other variant
> > codes for the finishes on item B2000. This is handled from a single item
> > card. WHen items are sold or purchased, the variant code is entered in a
> > separate field from the item number.
> >
> > But as far as I can determine, GP will require me to enter separate item
> > cards for each variant(Item "A100-RED", "A100-BLU", "A100-GRE", "B2000-BRU",
> > and "B2000-MIR". And if an item varies in more than one way, separate item
> > cards will be required for all permutations ("C250-BLU-MIR"). Is my
> > understanding correct, or is there a way to handle these item variations
> > without creating  a separate item card for each?
> >
> > Maybe GP uses a term other than "variant" that I just need to be gently
> > herded towards?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > David
0
dleroux (57)
2/7/2006 4:46:43 PM
What about using the User Defined fields.  We currently use it for further
classifications of an item and it works well for us.

"dleroux" wrote:

> Thanks Steve.
>
> I checked out the Matrix Inventory from compass - unfortunately it looks
> like it will not work due to other client requirements. I'll investigate the
> lot numbering approach (I know it won't be ideal, but hte client has some
> very specific requirements in other ares)
>
> "Steve Chapman" wrote:
>
> > Not really available in the standard product.  I have a client that uses lot
> > numbers to accomplish a similar thing.  But you should look at the Matrix
> > Inventory product from Compass Technology
> > http://www.compasstechnologies.com/    It's the best solution I know of.
> >
> > "dleroux" wrote:
> >
> > > how can I handle item variants in GP 9.0?
> > >
> > > Examples:
> > >
> > > Widget 1 has a part number of "A100". It comes in three colors (Red Blue
> > > Green).
> > > Widget 2 has part number "B2000". It comes in two finishes (brushed and
> > > mirror)
> > >
> > > In another MBS Dynamics product I only enter item "A100" and item "B2000". I
> > > can then add variant codes for the colors on item A100 and other variant
> > > codes for the finishes on item B2000. This is handled from a single item
> > > card. WHen items are sold or purchased, the variant code is entered in a
> > > separate field from the item number.
> > >
> > > But as far as I can determine, GP will require me to enter separate item
> > > cards for each variant(Item "A100-RED", "A100-BLU", "A100-GRE", "B2000-BRU",
> > > and "B2000-MIR". And if an item varies in more than one way, separate item
> > > cards will be required for all permutations ("C250-BLU-MIR"). Is my
> > > understanding correct, or is there a way to handle these item variations
> > > without creating  a separate item card for each?
> > >
> > > Maybe GP uses a term other than "variant" that I just need to be gently
> > > herded towards?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > David
0
Allison (64)

dictionary->(item, item, item); Can dictionary point to an array in VBA?
Is it possible to have a dictionary object point to an simple array? Can you do something like that in code? Dim oDict as new Scripting.Dictionary oDict.Add "key_value", Array("foo", "bar") Tim "cate" <catebekensail@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9f4b847e-eba7-487c-ac86-749d217dcc7e@b30g2000yqd.googlegroups.com... > Is it possible to have a dictionary object point to an simple array? > > Can you do something like that in code? ...

rev level in item inquiry
We need to be able to see the rev level of the part in the item inquiry screen. It would just link to the revision level field in the item engineering data screen. Currently a user with only inquiry access can not see what revision a part is supposed to be. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click &...

Listbox Delete multiple items
Hello. I'm trying to create a vba routine to delete items from a listbox. This is a multiselect listbox and what is happening is that i select several items and the code only removes the first item. When the first item is deleted, all of the other selected items became unselected. I post the code i'm using bellow. Can anyone give me a hint on this issue? Thanks, Luis Private Sub RemoveItem_btn_Click() If Listbox_1.ListIndex = -1 Then Exit Sub For i = Listbox_1.ListCount - 1 To 0 Step -1 If Listbox_1.Selected(i) Then Listbox_1.Remove...

Sent Items issue
When i send an email they sit in the outbox instead of going to my sent items folder. The items that are in my sent items folder cannot be moved or deleted as it comes up with an error. Any help would be appreciated. Thank. T On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:41:04 -0800, ctdude wrote: > When i send an email they sit in the outbox instead of going to my sent items > folder. The items that are in my sent items folder cannot be moved or deleted > as it comes up with an error. Any help would be appreciated. Thank. What version of Outlook? What sort of mail account(s)? What is the error th...

Item
Item needs to have more customer fields. Some countries require both an Inc and Ex Cost of each item. Ib Ivan, What are Inc and Ex costs and are you asking for more custom fields or do you really mean customer fields? -- * "Ivan Brebner" <ibrebner@premiumretail.com.au> wrote in message news:Oo9hLB4%23FHA.2524@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... Item needs to have more customer fields. Some countries require both an Inc and Ex Cost of each item. Ib In places like Australia retailers prefer to see the cost of an item including tax as well as Excluding. So that quoting ite...

item created date for copied items
We create 2 new product catalogs every year with hundreds of new items. To make data entry easier for our users, we use the Copy function. Unfortunately, the Created Date is not updated for the NEW item (it uses the copied item's created date). Also, this NEW item is not listed in Activity Tracking. It would be great if Created Date was the actual create date, even if the NEW item was copied off an old item. It is important for us to run reports off Created Date. It is also important for us to see who created the NEW item in case there are data entry errors. Thank you. -----...

Downgrading from GP Dynamic 7.5 to Office Accounting Professional
I know it's somewhat taboo to think about going "backwards", but we have been a GP customer since the old DOS days and have found ourselves with a system that is absolute overkill for us and way too expensive to keep up with. It's been a long journey, but over the years our business has been simplified and Dynamics has been complicated. In reviewing the details of MS's new Office Pro 2007, it looks like that's all we need. Anyone with any experience of moving your data "back" to this program. We are running Server 2000 with all XP Pro workstations an...

Email & IE6.0 Issues
I get this error message when starting Outlook Express 6.0 now. Error 502 Bad Gateway. Also, when using Internet Explorer and I try to email a picture I am unable to send one because it wants me to setup a default. Dialog box pops up with the header. Choose Profile Outlook is in a blank file box that is high lited. On the Options tab there are. Set as default profile. or Shown Logon screens for all information services. If I choose set as Outlook default profil...

Three items, column and line chart
I have data for the quarter that looks like this: PRODUCT LINE Jan Forecast Jan Actual Jan % of Fcst PERSONALIZED IMPACTCARDS 2,921,347 2,017,000 69% I would like a bar chart to show (in bars) the forecast and actual, and a secondary axes as the %. Is this possible? I've done a chart with Forecast and % forecast, but really need the actual bar. TIA, Carole O Hi Carole - Easier than you might think. Make a column chart using all three series of data. Select the % series, then choose Chart Type from the Chart menu, and select Line. Then double click on this line, ...

copy item cost to supplier cost field
I have customer that has an item cost in each item, but has no cost in supplier tab. Is there a sql statement that will copy the item cost into the supplier cost field? Thanks for the help Dave here it is ************************** UPDATE Supplierlist set SupplierList.Cost=Item.Cost FROM Item WHERE Item.ID=SupplierList.ItemID --AND Item.SupplierID=SupplierList.SupplierID ************************** if u execute it as it is, it will update the cost for primary suppliers only, if u remove the comment (--) from the last line, it will update the cost for all the item's suppliers (primary &...

Smartlist Alternate GP Modified Windows
With version 9, there are many new lookups listed in Security under SmartList (blue screens). I was trying to modify these lookups to change the sort by. Example: from customer maintenance, bring up the Customers And Prospects window sorted by Customer name. However, I cannot get to the CustomerSortBy field which is on the new lookup (v9) to add it to visual basic so that I can set the window's CustomerSortBy in vba. I am able to do this using the original Customers and Prospects windows (the green form) using instructions found online. To use this green form I had to go i...

item picture
Is there a way to get an items picture on a report? I use the item price list report and export it to HTML to get my items on my web page. This works fine, however I would like to include the items picture also but I don't see that as a field to include on the report. Is anyone doing this or know of a way to do this? Thanks, Craig You could add the Item.PictureName field to the report. Search the newsgroup and you should find several recent examples of adding a column to a report. This isn't going to be much help though as this is only going to include the Filename of the ...

Audit Trails 9 to 10 upgrade procedure
Hi, I am trying to upgrade our GP 9 to 10 but I can't get the Audit Trails module to upgrade... Basically, I don't quite understand the procedure provided by Microsoft. Our Audit Trails module is at version 9.0.31, which is the latest available V9 version I think. When I install Dyn GP10 and run Dynutils, I get a message saying that product 4966 (Audit Trails) does not support upgrades for versions 9.0.31 and before... Ok, I then turn to the V10 manual which has a chapter on upgrading the product. It does not mention if the upgrade is from V9 to V10 or from V10 to V10SP1...B...

Other Items Bought with a particular item
Hi all- Extensive heavy-duty user of RMS and regular custom-creator of reports, but can't seem to find a way to manage this one. I have item XYZ and I've identified it as not a highly profitable item, but possibly an item that my customers purchase alongside other higher margin products. The item has hundreds of movements in the Movement History report. How can I run a report to show either: a.) The total sales ticket value of all transactions which include XYZ item. -or- b.) A list of other items (along with cost and sold price) which were purchased over a set period along ...

public folder replication #9
I have a windows 2000 server (EX1) with exchange 2003 and a windows 2003 server (EX2) with exchange 2003. The public folders are located on EX1 and the mailboxes have all been moved to EX2. Everything works fine in this configuration. But as soon as I tell the public folders to replicate with EX2 I get the following error in Outlook: "Unable to display the folder. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object. See the folder contact or your system administrator." I can still see the public folder heirarchy and I can even modify the permissio...

How do I make this display a "0" value
In Cell G18 I have the formula =SUM(G9:G17,-36) but the cells G9-G17 are blank yet G18 displays a -36 value. I know this must be simple but is there a way to get the G18 cell to display a "0" value if the cells G9-G17 are blank? -- Geo One way to do it is to use an IF() function: =IF(SUM(G9:G17)=0,0,SUM(G9:G17,-36)) This instructs Excel to return a zero value if the sum of cells g9 thru g17 is zero, and performs your original SUM(G9:G17,-36) operation if the sum is not zero. Hi =IF(COUNT(G9:G17),SUM(G9:G17,-36),0) or maybe =MAX(0,SUM(G9:G17,-36)) -- Regards Frank Kabel Fr...

CRM 4.0 Synchronization hangs after customization
Hello, We have a problem with the outlook synchronisation: whenever we make a change to the customization (even something as simple as changing the order of a view), afterwards the Go-Offline will go on forever and eventually crash. I have no idea what is the cause of the problem. Any ideas? Thanks Fred ...

if all items in listbox are the same
access 2003 On form f018ContrPerf is have a listbox called lstUnitType(multiselect=none). How can I determine if all items in listbox are the same? ie all ST or all IT... If they are the same then Me.f018ContrPerfDetails.Form.optHP.Visible = True Me.f018ContrPerfDetails.Form.FrameElem_Label.Visible = True -- deb On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:38:01 -0700, deb <deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >access 2003 > >On form f018ContrPerf is have a listbox called lstUnitType(multiselect=none). > >How can I determine if all items in listbox are the same? ...

Items not in sent items folder
I am running Outlook 2000 and when trying to email directly from Word using File --> Send --> as Attachment, the email goes through, but does not show up in my Sent Items folder. I checked the box in Options to save messages in sent items. Any ideas? ...

#DIV/0
IS it possible to 'conditional format' or some other way (not macros) such that if I have #DIV/0 anywhere in the sheet it should instead give NA. TIA/Amag If your formula is something like =A1/B1, you can change this to: =IF(B1=0,0,A1/B1) It is often better to return 0 or "" rather than "NA", as you might want to use the result in some other formula. Generally, you can trap errors as follows: =IF(ISERROR(your_formula),0,your_formula) or use "" instead of 0 if you want to display a blank. Hope this helps. Pete Tks for ur prompt reply ...i tried i...

Item Serial Numbers for Matrixed Items
Hello all: I have a question regarding serial numbers for matrixed items. I would like to set up an item, and then include a matrix for size, color, length, and still maintain invenotry on each color/sytle combination, and have a serial number for each item. Can anyone provide details as to how to best accomplish this. Thanks Victor Example: Style:FANA01 this comes in: Red, Green, Yellow and each color has small, med, large. Each item has a serial number. Create the item using the New Item Wizard as a matrix item. At the end of the wizard select "Edit this item" On t...

Set policies for items archivation on Exchange
Hi, it's posibble to set policies for AutoArchive? Eg. where to save old items from outlook, which folders should be archived and the age of items? Or should can it be done using GPO? Thanks, Jozef Izso. On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 02:53:02 -0800, Jozef Izso <jozef.izso@nospam.postalias> wrote: >Hi, > >it's posibble to set policies for AutoArchive? Eg. where to save old items >from outlook, which folders should be archived and the age of items? > >Or should can it be done using GPO? Yes, I believe you can set this with the outlook adm using a GPO. > > &g...

Independent looking for GP Partners
I am an Ohio based independent GP consultant with many years of experience. I currently sub contract to a Gold Certified Partner in Indiana and also have clients of my own. Is there a site where I can get a listing of Midwest GP Partners to contact and offer my services? Any information is greatly appreciated. MES, Start with a list called the 'VAR 100'. You can Google and download it. Most of the VARs on the list are Dynamics VARs. Good luck, Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP NOVA Solutions LLC Melbourne, FL ...

Embedded Barcode Items Receiving
Is there any way to do a physical inventory or receiving in Store Ops on embedded coded items? When scanning into either of the above, since it is reading the whole barcode - says item does not exist. Does anyone out there do this or have a suggestion of how to accomplish? ...

XML schemas .NET 2.0
I have an XML schema and I am trying to validate any XML document sent against it. Here's some of the code: XmlReaderSettings xmlReaderSettings = new XmlReaderSettings(); xmlReaderSettings.Schemas.Add(@"http://myschema/myschema.xsd", "myschema.xsd"); xmlReaderSettings.ValidationEventHandler += new ValidationEventHandler(ValidationEvent); xmlReaderSettings.ValidationType = ValidationType.Schema; xmlReaderSettings.ValidationFlags = xmlReaderSettings.ValidationFlags | XmlSchemaValidationFlags.ReportValidationWarnings; ...