Invoicing Services in GP 8.0

We have a need to invoice field services.  We have items set up corresponding
to our technicians with the appropriate rates.  In our previous accounting
application, we could open a line item note window and free-type notes
specific to that customer's issue and resolution.

GP has line item notes, but they are not unique to the order.  I need to be
able to change these line item notes (many, many times this is several
hundred characters of text) with each new sales order and possibly multiple
services with multiple notes on one order.  We have found references to "line
item comments" but it appears as though those are really referring to these
line item notes.

Any ideas?  I'd like to possibly hear how another service company invoices
time.

Thanks!

Lisa
0
LisaD (16)

Lisa,

What GP module are you using for invoicing?

--
Victoria Yudin
Microsoft MVP - Great Plains

"Lisa D." <LisaD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

victoria (3340)
1/13/2005 8:06:55 PM
Victoria,

We are using Sales Order Processing.

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Lisa,
>
> What GP module are you using for invoicing?
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Microsoft MVP - Great Plains
>

> "Lisa D." <LisaD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a need to invoice field services.  We have items set up
> corresponding
> to our technicians with the appropriate rates.  In our previous accounting
> application, we could open a line item note window and free-type notes
> specific to that customer's issue and resolution.
>
> GP has line item notes, but they are not unique to the order.  I need to be
> able to change these line item notes (many, many times this is several
> hundred characters of text) with each new sales order and possibly multiple
> services with multiple notes on one order.  We have found references to
> "line
> item comments" but it appears as though those are really referring to these
> line item notes.
>
> Any ideas?  I'd like to possibly hear how another service company invoices
> time.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lisa

0
LisaD (16)
1/13/2005 8:13:01 PM
Lisa,
You should consider buying the Extender/SmartList builder bundle from eone
solutions - www.eonesolutions.com.au
Great product, fairly low cost and you can attach notes - detailed
transaction type notes to any window you like - transaction windows, Master
records etc.

Good luck
HS

"Lisa D." <LisaD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a need to invoice field services.  We have items set up
> corresponding
> to our technicians with the appropriate rates.  In our previous accounting
> application, we could open a line item note window and free-type notes
> specific to that customer's issue and resolution.
>
> GP has line item notes, but they are not unique to the order.  I need to
> be
> able to change these line item notes (many, many times this is several
> hundred characters of text) with each new sales order and possibly
> multiple
> services with multiple notes on one order.  We have found references to
> "line
> item comments" but it appears as though those are really referring to
> these
> line item notes.
>
> Any ideas?  I'd like to possibly hear how another service company invoices
> time.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lisa

0
HSalim (1270)
1/13/2005 10:02:17 PM
Thanks for your advice HS!  Always appreciated.  We'll look into it!

Lisa

"HSalim[MVP]" wrote:

> Lisa,
> You should consider buying the Extender/SmartList builder bundle from eone
> solutions - www.eonesolutions.com.au
> Great product, fairly low cost and you can attach notes - detailed
> transaction type notes to any window you like - transaction windows, Master
> records etc.
>
> Good luck
> HS
>
> "Lisa D." <LisaD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a need to invoice field services.  We have items set up
> > corresponding
> > to our technicians with the appropriate rates.  In our previous accounting
> > application, we could open a line item note window and free-type notes
> > specific to that customer's issue and resolution.
> >
> > GP has line item notes, but they are not unique to the order.  I need to
> > be
> > able to change these line item notes (many, many times this is several
> > hundred characters of text) with each new sales order and possibly
> > multiple
> > services with multiple notes on one order.  We have found references to
> > "line
> > item comments" but it appears as though those are really referring to
> > these
> > line item notes.
> >
> > Any ideas?  I'd like to possibly hear how another service company invoices
> > time.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Lisa

0
LisaD (16)
1/13/2005 10:07:02 PM
Lisa,

The line item notes you can add to each line in SOP can be unique to each
order if you want them to be.  Simply don't enter a comment ID, and instead
click on the arrow next to it (in GP 8.0).  You can free-type up to about
490 characters (again, in GP 8.0).

Hope that helps.

--

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Lisa,
>
> What GP module are you using for invoicing?
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Microsoft MVP - Great Plains
>

> "Lisa D." <LisaD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a need to invoice field services.  We have items set up
> corresponding
> to our technicians with the appropriate rates.  In our previous accounting
> application, we could open a line item note window and free-type notes
> specific to that customer's issue and resolution.
>
> GP has line item notes, but they are not unique to the order.  I need to
> be
> able to change these line item notes (many, many times this is several
> hundred characters of text) with each new sales order and possibly
> multiple
> services with multiple notes on one order.  We have found references to
> "line
> item comments" but it appears as though those are really referring to
> these
> line item notes.
>
> Any ideas?  I'd like to possibly hear how another service company invoices
> time.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lisa

0
victoria (3340)
1/13/2005 10:12:48 PM
Victoria,

I must have looked past that arrow a million times.  Thank you, thank you,
thank you!  I'm as blind as a bat, I swear!  :)

Lisa

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Lisa,
>
> The line item notes you can add to each line in SOP can be unique to each
> order if you want them to be.  Simply don't enter a comment ID, and instead
> click on the arrow next to it (in GP 8.0).  You can free-type up to about
> 490 characters (again, in GP 8.0).
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Microsoft MVP - Great Plains
>

> "Lisa D." <LisaD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Victoria,
>
> We are using Sales Order Processing.
>
> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Lisa,
> >
> > What GP module are you using for invoicing?
> >
> > --
> > Victoria Yudin
> > Microsoft MVP - Great Plains
> >

> > "Lisa D." <LisaD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a need to invoice field services.  We have items set up
> > corresponding
> > to our technicians with the appropriate rates.  In our previous accounting
> > application, we could open a line item note window and free-type notes
> > specific to that customer's issue and resolution.
> >
> > GP has line item notes, but they are not unique to the order.  I need to
> > be
> > able to change these line item notes (many, many times this is several
> > hundred characters of text) with each new sales order and possibly
> > multiple
> > services with multiple notes on one order.  We have found references to
> > "line
> > item comments" but it appears as though those are really referring to
> > these
> > line item notes.
> >
> > Any ideas?  I'd like to possibly hear how another service company invoices
> > time.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Lisa

0
LisaD (16)

EXCH: Accessing message shuts down store service!
One of our users received a message which, when accessed, causes IS to shut down. Message can't be read or deleted. First I thought this was message store corruption issue, but I�ve checked the database with eseutil and isinteg and found no errors or warnings. How to get rid of the message? Thanks in advance, JJ Make sure you are at latest Exchange SP and hot-fixes. If problems persists - report here. JJ wrote: > One of our users received a message which, when accessed, causes IS to shut > down. Message can't be read or deleted. > First I thought this was message store ...

Received not Invoiced #2
When we look at the PO Received/Not Invoiced report the total at the bottom should equal the GL balance of accrued purchases. It never does equal. At what can I look to discover why these two numbers never agree. Check out this post Rich - http://gp2themax.blogspot.com/search/label/Purchase%20Accrual Hope this helps, Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com You are correct that the RNI report should match the GL account. Several things change this. Sometimes people post directly to the RNI GL account. This is wro...

how do i generate invoice from excel datafile?
how do i generate invoice from excel datafile? -- jm mailmerge in word "jm" wrote: > how do i generate invoice from excel datafile? > -- > jm ...

CRM 3.0 Need to create pop up message
Hi All, I have a client with an integration between CRM 3.0 and Great plains. The problem is that when an order is submitted from CRM, the user needs to know in real time that the order was sucessfully submitted to GP. A field on the order entity in CRM gets updated with a success or failure message, but the user needs to sit there and constantly hit refresh in order to see the change occur in CRM. Can anyone think of a way using some code, or a workflow, or callout that would check the field in the order entity and when it gets updated, pop a message up on the screen to the user that the ...

Error during Invoice Contract
Hi, Below is an exception that I get, in Event Viewer, when I try to invoice a contract. The first contract worked fine. After a while I did the falowing customizations: 1. for Oportunities i've changed a value for a picklist attribute that was created earlyer. 2. I've replaced collumn Attolments Remaning with collumn Qunatity in Contract Lines / Form and Views - Related Contract Line and Contract Line Advanced Find View The next contract that I've tried to invoice gave me the error below. I tried to set all the customization back but the error persists. Any sugestions? ...

Anyone customized the service module for a consultancy business?
We are thinking och moving to MS CRM and thus wonder if there are any third party product that adopts the service module for a typical consultancy business? Typically that kind of business have a mix of long term assignments, where a consultant can have one or more assignments going at the same time. The system should also keep track of avalible free time that can be sold by the hour for all consultants. It would be really interesting if anyone had a module for handling competencies and avalibility within the same solution - then you could consider both people and competencies to be you...

Need help in making my invoices auto count
I need to find out how to make my invoices increase by 1 digit every time i copy/create a new invoice. I also would like to find out how i can make my totals (ie..for tax, and sales) get directed into a new spreadsheet displaying the date the invoice was created and giving a running total for the month and year. Is this possible or am i way out to lunch on this. Lostinexcel, Have you checked out MicroSoft's free templates? at: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx You can search for "Invoices" there. Depending on whether you are using 2003, 2007...

Excel Error Message #8
Hi~ I am using Windows 98. I have a spreadsheet that contains macros - which are from a safe source. The spreadsheet has a total of 8 worksheets. The first two worksheets have data, the remaining worksheets have charts which are based off of the second worksheet. The first tab is called "Input 2" and the second is called "Total $s and Per Hr 04". The data in the "Input 2" worksheet is from Access - and the "Total $s and Per Hr 04" sheet is the same data in a more appealing format. When I try and have a cell in the Total $s tab reference ano...

Pasting a number to Excel that begins with 0
I need to paste numbers to Excel that sometimes begin with 0. How do I do this without losing the lead 0? I am using Office 2000. You advice is appreciated. Tom, one way to do it: Format the target cell(s) as Text. Then select Edit | Paste Special | Text from the Excel menu. HTH Alan P. "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BCE4408D-51AC-45C7-85AE-DE886DF3A802@microsoft.com... >I need to paste numbers to Excel that sometimes begin with 0. How do I do > this without losing the lead 0? I am using Office 2000. You advice is > apprecia...

Functional payment applies to Multicurrency invoice
Hi All another question, how can we calculate realize gain/loss for foreign currency when we apply functional payment to multicurrency invoice? million thanx in advance... ...

Invoicing (Invoice Entry)
Looking for some guidance on a possible work around for Invoicing without SOP. Is there anyway possible to get either the Standard Cost or the Price List Unit Price to default in when entering Invoices Transactions>>Sales>>Invoice Entry Second question; having a similar issue with calculating taxes. Taxes should be based on whether or not the item is set to taxable or non taxable but as soon as you assign a tax schedule id to the Customer Card everything gets taxed even the items that are setup as non taxable items. I know that SOP would cure all of this but just wondering...

Calculating the Length of Service between Hire and Termination dat
Let's say somebody was hired on October 2, 2006 and left on August 14, 2009. I know that the YEAR function will return a value of 3.0. Is there a way I could calculate the Year and month i.e. in this case the length of service is 2 years and 10 months (ignoring the exact day of hire and termination) Or is there another acceptable way of showig Length of Service? Thanks. With hire date in A1 and termination date in B1 =DATEDIF(A1,B1,"Y")&" Y, "&DATEDIF(A1,B1,"ym")&" M, "&DATEDIF(A1,B1,"md")&" D" ...

Duplicate invoice numbers
I have a spreadsheet that has 5 worksheets in it, that are purchase ledgers. (One for each week of the month). I would like to know if there is some way to have an error message pop up if someone enters a duplicate invoice number on any one of the 5 worksheets. Thanks Pete Sorry! While I was waiting to see if my message posted, I looked at some of the other questions to see if I could help someone else (not likely, but worth a try) I did find a previous question that was almost the same that was answered. I tried it and it works on one worksheet. Can I get it to work on all 5 at th...

xml/xslt, .net 2.0, whitespace, output to text file
I'm having a problem with line feeds in an xslcompiledtransform in .net 2.0. I'm trying to use xsl to transform xml to a text file that can be read on a Unix box. The problem is that when I insert a line feed, it always results in a carriage-return/linefeed - the Unix box does not like this. I've tried different encoding settings and using hex/dec/html values for line feed but the result is always CRLF as viewed in a hex editor. here's the code that pertains to my issue if anyone can help XSL Transformation code Dim fs As New IO.FileStream(f.FilePathWorkin...

Invoices From Speadsheet #3
What I want to do is so basic, not sure if I can just do it with Excel I just want to be able to create an invioice and pull the products fro my excel spreadshee -- joey250 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- joey2509's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1646 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27819 ...

Quicken Invoices to MS Money Invoices
I am attempting to bring all may data over from Quicken Small Business 2003 to Money Small Business 2005. The accounts convert fine except for the business accounts. My invoices, projects and estimates come over as a standard account. In the process, all the form data is lost. The numbers are there but none of the invoice data. How or can I bring this business data over from Quicken? I want to convert over but am not willing to re-enter two years worth of invoice and payment data. Thanks, In article <MPG.1ca6347da05dbaa98968e@news.west.cox.net>, nothere@nowhere.net says... > ...

Automatic Invoicing
Is there a way with MS Money 2004 SBE, to have invoices renew themselves every 30 days, or have the bills/deposits list use the account recevables account so that transactions in the bills/deposits list can count as accounts recevied. The reason is I still want to use the customer balance feature that I get with AR, but I want to have the ability that someone is on a monthly payment plan, I can track their payments and so forth without having to make an invoice every month ...

Exchange Services Starting
Exchange 2K on Win2K Server This is a "backup" Exchange Server, so the services should not start unless I ask them to, so all of my Exchange services are set to "Manual". Recently, I lost a drive in my array. Since I rebuilt the array my System Attendant service keep starting as soon as I connect to the network, even though its set to Manual. It doesn't do anything if I pull the network cable or if I set the service to Disabled. The Dependent Services are just MTA Stacks and Information Store. While I can just keep the service disabled, I have a fear that this...

GP functional diagram-communication between components , server,cl
Is there a diagram published by Microsoft that displays the overall communication processes for GP in a network environment? Thanks, Sean Go to my website and download the "Great Plains Architecture" white paper, which shows and explains a great deal of what you are looking for. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Sean B" wrote: > Is there a diagram published by Microsoft that displays the overall > communication processes for GP in a network environment? > > Thanks, >...

Business Portal Benefit Self Service Page Error
All users are getting a page error when they click the Existing Benefits link in Business Portal. The error refers to a value too large for Int16. We've tried all articles in the knowledgebase about this error. Has anybody had this issue and resolved it? -- Charles Allen, MVP ...

Duplicate invoice numbers and invoice dates
Accounts Payable should alert for duplicate invoice numbers within the same vendor only if the invoice date is the same. Or, at least allow us to select that as an option in set up. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolu...

Cannot start the reminder service
Hello. I am running Outlook 2003 and I keep getting a balloon message in my systray that says "Cannot start the reminder service. Unable to show reminders.". I also get a message when that appears in the middle of the screen that states "There was a problem reading one or more of your reminders. Some reminders may not appear. Cannot locate recurrence information for this appointment.". I have tried /ResetFolders and /CleanReminders switches and I am still having the same problems. Thanks for your help. Ive got this same damn problem Tried all the switches -...

Run Application as a Service under SBS 2008
We run SBS 2008 virtualised under VMware ESXi which like most hypervisors does not support USB passthrough to the guest OS. This limitation creates a complication with SBS backup which we have resolved by implementing a USB over IP device to present a USB HDD to SBS as a backup target. Unfortunatley the software that runs the device does not install as a service so if the Admin account is logged off the backup HDD is disconnected, not an ideal situation. The old "path\INSTSRV.EXE My Service path\SRVANY.EXE" does not seem to be supported under Server 2008, does anyone ...

Service in CRM 3.0
Hello. My question involves working with the Service section of CRM. I am fairly new to the whole CRM system but up to now, going through Sales and Marketing I haven't been to mind-boggled. I am trying to create a new case and link it to a contract through the options that are available by default in the New Case form view. For some reason, when I go to look-up the contract for a particular case I don't return any results. Why??? Basically I'm asking is there any information out there that walks you through the Service section of CRM, else can someone give me a quick ...

Invoices and batches
Hi everyone! We are running RMS POS 1.3 in one lane and QB Premiere (Canadian edition), and have been for a few months. Recently we put a few sales to institutions "on account." When we try to transfer the batches to QB we get the message "Transaction split lines to accounts receivable must include a customer on that split line. OK" Then we get the message Error on line 23. Can't record invalid transaction. OK Cancel" The batch doesn't import as a result. Any suggestions? As an aside, is there a way to print the invoice on a nice 8.5" x 11"...