Inactivate Accounts

I want to inactivate a couple of hundred of accounts that we don’t use any
more due to some branch closures.  Our account string consists of 4 segments
and the second segment denotes the branch.  Unfortunately you can not do this
via Mass Modify since you can not use wildcards for the main accounts segment
(first segment).
I know you can only inactivate an account if it has a zero current balance.
It will take me hours to open each account in Account Maintenance and
inactivate them one by one.  What I was thinking of doing is run a trial
balance for each branch to make sure there are no accounts with a balance.
Once I have confirmed this, I will create a script to change the flag in
GL00100 from Active to Inactive.
My question is – will this cause any problems?  I know it will work by just
running the script but I am afraid that it might have some negative impact
somewhere else that I might not be aware of.

--
Pieter
0

Pieter,

If you want to inactivate all accounts with a particular value in the second
segment you should be able to do this in Mass Modify if your account sorting
options are set up.

Here is an example with account format of XXXX-XXX-XX where I want to choose
all accounts with 555 as the 2nd segment, which is called Branch in the
account setup:

1. Enter 0000-555-00 for Account From
2. Enter 9999-555-99 for Account To
3. Choose by Branch under Account Segment Sort
4. Choose Selected Range under Display

You should now only see accounts with 555 in the 2nd segment in the list.

Also, you don't mention what version or SP of GP you're on....but looking at
this for GP 9.0 SP 3, you have the option to inactivate either all accounts
or accounts with a zero balance only.  I am not sure exactly what version
this started with, but I am pretty sure that was not always an option.

Hope this helps.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"Pieter" <Pieter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to inactivate a couple of hundred of accounts that we don’t use any
> more due to some branch closures.  Our account string consists of 4
> segments
> and the second segment denotes the branch.  Unfortunately you can not do
> this
> via Mass Modify since you can not use wildcards for the main accounts
> segment
> (first segment).
> I know you can only inactivate an account if it has a zero current
> balance.
> It will take me hours to open each account in Account Maintenance and
> inactivate them one by one.  What I was thinking of doing is run a trial
> balance for each branch to make sure there are no accounts with a balance.
> Once I have confirmed this, I will create a script to change the flag in
> GL00100 from Active to Inactive.
> My question is – will this cause any problems?  I know it will work by
> just
> running the script but I am afraid that it might have some negative impact
> somewhere else that I might not be aware of.
>
> --
> Pieter

0
victoria (3340)
3/25/2009 1:06:31 PM
We don't have the second segment as a sort option, only the main one.  When I
follow your suggestion, I get much more accounts than only the one branch
although this might be because of the sort option mentioned above.  I don't
think that I can add that sort option since that gets set up when you install
GP for the first time.

Is there anything else that I can try?  We are on GP 9 with the latest SP.
--
Pieter

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Pieter,
>
> If you want to inactivate all accounts with a particular value in the second
> segment you should be able to do this in Mass Modify if your account sorting
> options are set up.
>
> Here is an example with account format of XXXX-XXX-XX where I want to choose
> all accounts with 555 as the 2nd segment, which is called Branch in the
> account setup:
>
> 1. Enter 0000-555-00 for Account From
> 2. Enter 9999-555-99 for Account To
> 3. Choose by Branch under Account Segment Sort
> 4. Choose Selected Range under Display
>
> You should now only see accounts with 555 in the 2nd segment in the list.
>
> Also, you don't mention what version or SP of GP you're on....but looking at
> this for GP 9.0 SP 3, you have the option to inactivate either all accounts
> or accounts with a zero balance only.  I am not sure exactly what version
> this started with, but I am pretty sure that was not always an option.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports
> http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
> blog: www.victoriayudin.com
>

> "Pieter" <Pieter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want to inactivate a couple of hundred of accounts that we don’t use any
> > more due to some branch closures.  Our account string consists of 4
> > segments
> > and the second segment denotes the branch.  Unfortunately you can not do
> > this
> > via Mass Modify since you can not use wildcards for the main accounts
> > segment
> > (first segment).
> > I know you can only inactivate an account if it has a zero current
> > balance.
> > It will take me hours to open each account in Account Maintenance and
> > inactivate them one by one.  What I was thinking of doing is run a trial
> > balance for each branch to make sure there are no accounts with a balance.
> > Once I have confirmed this, I will create a script to change the flag in
> > GL00100 from Active to Inactive.
> > My question is – will this cause any problems?  I know it will work by
> > just
> > running the script but I am afraid that it might have some negative impact
> > somewhere else that I might not be aware of.
> >
> > --
> > Pieter

0
Pieter1 (22)
3/25/2009 4:25:01 PM
Pieter,

I believe you are right, that has to be set up during the installation.  So
then your only other choice is to do this in SQL.  I have not seen this
cause any issues in the past, but you probably want to try it on a test
company first, if you have one.  Run the scripts you want, then enter some
transactions, print some reports.

--

> [...]
>> > segment
>> > (first segment).
>> > I know you can only inactivate an account if it has a zero current
>> > balance.
>> > It will take me hours to open each account in Account Maintenance and
>> > inactivate them one by one.  What I was thinking of doing is run a
>> > trial
>> > balance for each branch to make sure there are no accounts with a
>> > balance.
>> > Once I have confirmed this, I will create a script to change the flag
>> > in
>> > GL00100 from Active to Inactive.
>> > My question is – will this cause any problems?  I know it will work by
>> > just
>> > running the script but I am afraid that it might have some negative
>> > impact
>> > somewhere else that I might not be aware of.

0
victoria (3340)

Downloading Account Information to 2007
I just set up 2007 to download my account information from Schwab and it went pretty well. My question is, the next time I download, will it download from the last download or will it overlap and download duplicate information from the previous download. I think I set my first download to give me 30 or 60 days worth of transactions, I don't remember. What happens the next time I download? Thanks -- David Schwartz Commack, NY It's supposed to just download new data, David -- in other words, from the last download. I've been using Schwab for a while now and there are ...

XP account password lost
Hi my wife has managed to forget her password on her PC, she uses a password to keep the kids out but has now managed to keep her self out. Is there a way she can get the password back or override it and make a new one? Gerald "Gerald Bramwell" <newsgroups@animals-in-distress.net> wrote in message news:uXscL3vaKHA.6028@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi my wife has managed to forget her password on her PC, she uses a > password to keep the kids out but has now managed to keep her self out. Is > there a way she can get the password back or override it and ...

Virtual Accounts?
Hi all, I would love to be able to create some 'virtual accounts' but I am not sure of firstly if it can be done and secondly how to do it. Basically I put away amounts each month for certain expenses but dont want t o have a bank account for each expenditure in order to see how much is curre ntly available for that category. I would prefer just to have one account a nd lump all the items together and then using Money have it break the curren tly levels of each down for me. e.g I put aside 100 per month for car tags. Since the car tags are only due once a year, I want to be able...

Account needs to read all messages in EVERY MB
To clarify: I need to know the minimal permissions necessary for an account to be able to open any mailbox at any time (via Outlook) and ONLY read the messages in the boxes. It's for our wonderful security team. Will View Only Admin do the trick? I'm thinking not... If you need more info, please say so, but I think this gets to the point. It will need Send As/Receive As permissions on the mail store. Sort of a liability. . . "JMS" <JMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D72A856A-E322-48DB-BC95-CA7ABFF1B63C@microsoft.com... > To clarify: I nee...

account segments and posting account
1. Is it possible to have only one segment of account? 2. Is it ok, if Posting account setup do not have default accounts payable? I think this accounts payable is use as a payable account in Payable Distribution for a vendor, if vendor do not have accounts payable in vendor account maintenance setup. If there is no accounts payable in posting account setup and no vendor accounts payable in vendor account maintenance setup, then which account should we use as payable account for a vendor? 1. Yes, you can have a single segment account number in Dynamics GP 2. If you dont have an accou...

Project Accounting Integrations
Now that Integration Manager can be used with Project Accounting Time Sheets and Employee Expenses, I would like to see other project accounting transactions be added to the integration list, particularly inventory transfers. Also the ability to integrate a inventory item list into the Cost Category Budget Detail IV Items for those Purchases/Material usages requiring specific inventory items. Thanks, Claude ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree"...

Unable to add email accounts in 2003
I am having a problem adding a email account in Outlook 2003. Whenever I attempt to add a new account the window that has Server Type all of the options are greyed out. If I create a new account on the workstation then I can add a new email account. Any ideas on the cause of this problem? I've tried removing all the outlook config file from the Documents and setting directory but this has still occured? Brian Are you trying to add an account from Control Panel->Mail Icon? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due t...

POS and Accounting
I have MS Dynamics POS and MS Accounting 2007 integrated on a network and they are talking and sharing info. What I need to know is how can I set up a charge account for customers and be ale to ring up a charge on the POS computer and have it show up in the accounting software. The problem I am having is I ring up a charge at the POS and it subtracts from the inventory, and then when I create an invoice for the same item it subtracts from the inventory once again. Is there a way around this problem? On Feb 23, 4:45=A0pm, Hal in NE <Hali...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I ...

Inactivating Vendors
Trying to inactivate a vendor, get the message: This vendor has been assigned to a purchase order or an unposted receipt, the status cant be changed to inactive. I have checked and the 2 PO's are closed, and there are no open receivings. What do I have to do to inactivate this vendor? thanks! -- Doug You have to run the Remove Completed Purchase Orders process (Tools-Routines-Purchasing) in order to move closed or cancelled purchase orders to history as long as you are keeping PO history. "Doug" wrote: > Trying to inactivate a vendor, get the message: > &g...

Configuring e-mail accounts
how can I configure an Outlook account to open my yahoo mail? details needed thanks Ahmed Mostafa wrote: || how can I configure an Outlook account to open my yahoo mail? || || details needed || || thanks Have you asked Yahoo? Do you have a paid-for Yahoo account (unless you are in the UK and one or two other places) -- Interim Systems and Management Accounting Gordon Burgess-Parker Director www.gbpcomputing.co.uk ...

2 accounts
I have 2 different accounts, which I use for sending messages but I use only one account to receive all emails. As such, I do not need the second account to occupy priceless real estate in the left pane. Is it possible to hide it or remove it from there? Thanks, Claire You can't "hide" the account but if you click on the little arrow to the left of it you can "hide" the subfolders (Inbox, Sent, Drafts, etc.). "Claire" <replyto@fra> wrote in message news:Og5sZvucKHA.4880@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I have 2 different accounts, w...

Eliminating duplicate emails in a users account
I have a user that ended up with a large number of duplicate emails. What is the best way to fix this problem. ...

401K account
I setup a 401k account in Money this month. When I did the online update everything was in sync initially. Last night my monthly contribution was posted to the 401K account. I did an online update of the account this morning and the balance was wrong. I also noticed that some history was missing, my dividends did show up. Also, I have Money splitting a part of my paycheck into the 401K account and that transfer was not visible in the 401K account. The KB822766 article "401K and 403B Accounts Do Not Show in the List of Transactions in Money" says to: 1.. On the Accounts & Bills...

Money 2007
Bank One was bought by chase and money wanted me to update online info. After I did this, I have a bank one and chase entry and all numbers income and expenses have been doubled. I have turned off online updates for bank one; however when I go to merge accounts, bank one is listed on the left column and there is a drop down box on the right with chase as an option. So, am I merging bank one into chase or chase into bank one? Does it matter?? I really need bank one into chase, but I cannot deactivate chase online status. Deleting this account is not an option as there are savings ac...

Account Adjustments and Accounting
I am confused about how manual account adjustments get entered in your accounting system. RMS inexplicably does not output these in the batch table and they are not listed on the Z report. Am I to understand that you must do an A/R report at the end of each month and make a manual adjustment in your accounting system? If so, that sucks, but more importantly, how can I get a list of account adjustments so I can determine how to account for each item? I imagine there are a lot of reasons for adjustments, like courtesy credits, loyalty programs, forfeited credits (customer never returns to colle...

Inactivating a vendor
I would like to change the vendor status to inactive, but get the message: This vendor has been assigned to a purchase order or an unposted receipt, The status cant be changed to inactive. i have checked and all PO's are closed or cancelled, and there are no open receipts. Havent used this vendor for over a year. Do I have to do something else to change a vendor to inactive? -- Doug You need to run the PO Removal Routine (Tools-Routines-Purchasing-Remove Completed Purchase Orders) for the Vendor ID you are having the issue with. This will move the PO info to history and allow y...

Analytical Accounting should work with Allocation Accounts
Analytical Accouting should allow posting to Allocation Accounts and roll down the allocation dollars to the distribution accounts just as it rolls down general ledger dollars to the allocation distribution accounts. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. htt...

How to Inactivate a Kit
Hello, I'm looking for recommendations on what is the best process to inactivate a kit so it is no longer available to sell? Thanks! Jeff Couple options: 1) GP does not keep or track history of kits in any way shape or form, so you can delete the kit. or 2) Change the kit components to discontinued and you can either disable or password protect the "Allow Sales of Discontinued Items" in the Sales Order Processing Setup Options window. There is no way to inactivate a kit directly. If deleting the kit or changing the kit components to discontinued i...

removing one mail account..........
I am not sure what to name this issue. I have exchange 2003 and windows 2003 AD. I am hosting 2 e-mail addresses 123.com and 456.com. When I setup any new user, they will automatically get both email addresses. Now, 456.com moved to another company. How do I remove them from my exchange and AD. Please advice. check for 456.com in Recipient Policies and remove it. Go to RUS and click rebuild, best done afterhours it your'e in a large environment. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------- "Dooma" <nowhe...

Multiple Accounts
Was previously running Outlook 2K on Win 98 system. Had multiple POP3 accounts set up and when I was to send a new message I could choose from which account to send it via a drop down list accessed by the down arrow portion of the send button. That PC crashed and now running same Outlook 2K but on a Win XP (Home Edition) and I seem to be unable to access any of the other accounts from within the new message. It automaticallly sends from the first account that was set up. Any idea how I change this setting? Thanks in advance, Walt You need to reconfigure mail support - Open Tools->Opti...

Deleting accounts on Outlook 2003
I was able to delete two accounts that I had set up in Outlook by going into Tools, E-Mail Accounts and removing them that way. However, when I set up a NEW user at the same pc, the user is still asked which account she wants to log onto and if she does select one of the old user's names, it shows all of the old user's emails, address book, etc. How do I COMPLETELY get rid of the old users? I can't find anything in the Outlooks help menu that can answer this. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, help me! Go to control panel, mail and delete the profiles you no longer need. Delete ...

Customer-Inactivate but do not remove history
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle a customer that we no longer want to use, but i dont want to remove history. (Looks like I cant inactivate a customer if there are posted or unposted transactions) thanks -- Doug Doug, If all transactions for this customer are fully applied, you can move them all to history (Tools > Routines > Sales > Paid Transaction Removal) and then Inactivate the customer. (Note: make sure History tracking is turned on before you run the Paid Transaction Removal.) If you still have open transactions or don't want to move them to...

Change password on Exchange account
I'm trying to change my Exchange server password from within Outlook 2003, but cannot find that function anywhere in the user interface. Am I not observant enough, or is it not possible? dOinK what do you mean by "Exchange server password"? "dOinK" <tvanvik@on_DELETE_line.no> wrote in message news:Mirrc.2814$nd1.1645@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com... > I'm trying to change my Exchange server password from within Outlook 2003, > but cannot find that function anywhere in the user interface. Am I not > observant enough, or is it not possible? > > ...

corrupt account in outlook 2003
I suddenly got error 0x800CCC92 in my Outlook 2003.It kept asking for username and password. I got around this by creating a new identity and all work's again,but with wrong identity. How do I get my old identity and mail back,Is there an easy way because many programs are installed with old identity. OS=xp sp2 OL doesnt have/use Identities, explain what you did "HB" <hwb317@telia.com> wrote in message news:OcacMAYLHHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > I suddenly got error 0x800CCC92 in my Outlook 2003.It kept asking for > username and password. > I got around t...

Non Inventory Item account not appear automatically !?
Hello In Posting account setting, I had entered a NON- Inventory Account , but the problem is: when inserting a non-Inventory Item in Sales transaction Entry window the account not appear automatically ! Any suggest please. By definition that is a cost account and it is not used for non IV items in SOP "Monzer Osama" wrote: > Hello > > In Posting account setting, I had entered a NON- Inventory Account , > but the problem is: > when inserting a non-Inventory Item in Sales transaction Entry window > the account not appear automatically ! > Any suggest please....