Impact of changing database column width?

Hi,

We are a software product company and are planning to begin using the
Contract Administration module. To do so, we will be switching our inventory
items from Track: None to Track: Serial Numbers and we will be storing our
software license keys in the Serial Number field which is column SERLTNUM in
table SOP10201.

Unfortunately, SERLTNUM is CHAR(21) and our license keys are a few
characters wider than 21. We can get the keys down to 21 characters by
removing three embedded hyphens, but there are several databases outside of
GP where the license keys must still exist with the embedded hyphens.

My strong preference is to retain the hyphens and widen column SERLTNUM so
it can hold the entire key. Our MS business partner says that doing so would
"corrupt GP".

Is this true? Is there a way to safely increase the size of a database
column in GP? What are the considerations?

Thanks!

Thanks for the confirmation Mick.

Phil

"Mick Egan" wrote:

> Your partner is correct, do not alter DynamicsGP Tables.
>
> Mick
>
> "POOCH" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are a software product company and are planning to begin using the
> > Contract Administration module. To do so, we will be switching our inventory
> > items from Track: None to Track: Serial Numbers and we will be storing our
> > software license keys in the Serial Number field which is column SERLTNUM in
> > table SOP10201.
> >
> > Unfortunately, SERLTNUM is CHAR(21) and our license keys are a few
> > characters wider than 21. We can get the keys down to 21 characters by
> > removing three embedded hyphens, but there are several databases outside of
> > GP where the license keys must still exist with the embedded hyphens.
> >
> > My strong preference is to retain the hyphens and widen column SERLTNUM so
> > it can hold the entire key. Our MS business partner says that doing so would
> > "corrupt GP".
> >
> > Is this true? Is there a way to safely increase the size of a database
> > column in GP? What are the considerations?
> >
> > Thanks!
Have you considered using Extender? It seems like the proper tool for such a
simple request.

Best regards,
--
MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP

"POOCH" wrote:

> Thanks for the confirmation Mick.
>
> Phil
>
> "Mick Egan" wrote:
>
> > Your partner is correct, do not alter DynamicsGP Tables.
> >
> > Mick
> >
> > "POOCH" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We are a software product company and are planning to begin using the
> > > Contract Administration module. To do so, we will be switching our inventory
> > > items from Track: None to Track: Serial Numbers and we will be storing our
> > > software license keys in the Serial Number field which is column SERLTNUM in
> > > table SOP10201.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, SERLTNUM is CHAR(21) and our license keys are a few
> > > characters wider than 21. We can get the keys down to 21 characters by
> > > removing three embedded hyphens, but there are several databases outside of
> > > GP where the license keys must still exist with the embedded hyphens.
> > >
> > > My strong preference is to retain the hyphens and widen column SERLTNUM so
> > > it can hold the entire key. Our MS business partner says that doing so would
> > > "corrupt GP".
> > >
> > > Is this true? Is there a way to safely increase the size of a database
> > > column in GP? What are the considerations?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

Column name 'Password'
It seems Access does not allow the column named Password.Is it? ...

Changing axis
I have created a chart that plots visitors to a site over a period of time. Now the chart has the dates on X axis and the data is plotted along Y axis (0 to 5000). How do I lay the chart so that the date is on the Y axis and the 0 to 5000 is on the X axis? Hi, If the chart is a line chart try changing it to a xy scatter instead. You may need to adjust the data series values to get the correct x an y values. Cheers Andy ignatius wrote: > I have created a chart that plots visitors to a site over a period of > time. Now the chart has the dates on X axis and the data is plotted >...

COLUMN HEADERS #3
When I first started using EXCEL it was possible to change the column header from say A to whatever I wanted it to be. Is that still possible and if so how is it done? AFAIK, that has never been possible in any version of XL. In article <13ba01c3919f$b2156500$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "GEORGIA" <GED6@PGE.COM> wrote: > When I first started using EXCEL it was possible to change > the column header from say A to whatever I wanted it to > be. Is that still possible and if so how is it done? You can't change the column header to whatever you want but you can h...

How do I change the words that pop up when curser is over pic?
I am using Publisher and when I am sending the document words are poping up over different sections and pictures when the curser is over it. How can I change the hidden words and or remove them? Thanks for your help Is the publication a Web page? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Avi" <Avi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7A43858-44DB-420B-97C7-EC87213F7AC3@microsoft.com... >I am using Publisher and when I am sending...

Wrap text on Column "Task name/Description" of Timesheet View page
Dear all, Is there any way to wrap text on Column "Task name/Description" of Timesheet View page? Is it possible through javascript or through the relative aspx page? I'll appreciate any help on that. Kind regards, Konstantinos Christodoulakis Senior Project Manager Hi again, unfortunately that is natively not possible in 2007. You may be able to develop this functionality and may want to ask the question at the project developer user forum. thanks Marc [MVP] "Konstantinos Christodoulakis" <KonstantinosChristodoulakis@discussions.microso...

Changing language
Is it possible to get the CRM-website in another language? Yes. I believe the product has 8 language options available. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 06:42:02 -0700, "Shakudu" <Shakudu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Is it possible to get the CRM-website in another language? Microsoft CRM 1.2 supports the following languages. Note however it only supports one language per installation ==================== a.. English a.. International English a.. German a.. French a.....

Sum From Beginning of Column #2
How do I create a formula that adds from the top of a column? Here's the situation. I have a column of numbers (with a header of "Pay"). To the right of that colum I want to keep a running total ("Yearly Total"). Every time I get paid, I'm going to enter the amount in the pay column and then I want the Yearly Total column to automatically add it. When I create a fomula (say =SUM(B2:B21)), and propigate it down, it doesn't start at the top. In others words the next formula is =SUM(B3:B22). I want it to be =SUM(B2:B22). And, if a value is not filled in on t...

Limit web crawlers impact on IIS site
Hi Is it possible and how to limit web crawlers (Google) impact to web site running on IIS 6/7 ? Dealing with Google's webmaster tools - site config - custom crawl rate doesn't give us less impacts, so I'm wondering if there is any way to limit bandwidth available to all crawlers (identified by bot in User-Agent header) using bandwidth limiting on IIS. I know that it is possible on Apache, but cannot find this how to set on MS IIS. Any help or ideas would be appriciated. Regards, Miha Use robots.txt for this. Either just ban the search crawlers that don'...

Changing the end of a worksheet (Ctrl+End)
If I have data in Cell A1 through Z200 and I press Ctrl + end my cursor jumps to cell Z200. If I delete all rows after row 100 then cell Z100 is my last active cell. However, when I press Ctrl + End Excel still remembers my last used cell as cell Z200. How can I clear this so that I can use Ctrl + End to move to the last active cell I have instead of the last active cell I had used at one time in the past. Thanks in advance. Loren, Save the file and you'll be OK. With some earlier versions of Excel You have to close the file and reopen it as well. HTH Anders Silven "Lore...

Changing or extending the Sale dates
We are a retail store and I face this situation every month with cigarette sale prices. We have defined the items to be on sale from say jan 2 to Feb 15 dates. Now the sale date has to be extended to March 15. We use the inventory wizard to do this and use function change item prices and put the new extended dates in the start and end date fields. After that we select the category where we want to change. Now here is the real problem in the items selected. The columns indicate the reg price and curent sale price and the columns which we can change(non grayed once) new sale price, ne...

Indicator Column
Is there any way to keep the Indicator column from printing? We are using 2007 and even when we hide the column it prints anyway. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_008B_01CAA43D.73E5C9C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Savoy, Welcome to the Microsoft Project newsgroup :-) Does the Indicator column appear in Print Preview? If it does, we need = to look at your settings within Project. What version? SP? How did you = hide the column? If not, it's likely to be a...

changing a calculation in a pivot table
I have a pivot table from a db that shows 10 rows of dates and data. each week i delete the oldest row and add it adds the new one. What i need to do is calculate the % change from the oldest to the newest each week. right now i do it each time i run the db. what i want is to have a cell calculate it for me. when i try that, i get an error when i change the data. looks like this Date Data 12/8/2009 120 12/15/2009 100 12/21/2009 90 12/29/2009 92 1/20/2010 67 1/25/2010 54 2/1/20...

RDP challenge after changing "main" profile's password, can't access any longer with RDP in XP SP2
I'm running XP Pro SP2 on all administrative desktops computers at my school. Our main password was compromised and I used RDP to access all the administrative computers from home and changed the password on the "Main" profile after hours. When the staff came in the next day, they could not log on with the new password. I could not log on from home using the new password. I accessed the computer remotely via the "Tech" profile and changed the password on the "main" profile and then the staff could sign in using the new password. All was well. (...

Can I split my worksheet and have different size columns and rows.
I like the main part of my spreadsheet, buy would like to add information with different size columns and rows from the original sheet. I want the original rows to remain the same but would like the addition to be smaller rows to get more info in there. Can I do it? tommy Row heights and Column widths are properties of the entire row and column and cannot be altered for different sections of a worksheet. I hesitate to mention the dreaded "merge cells" feature which allows you to merge two or more cells into one big cell. If you're just doing this for entering text you wo...

Change password
Hi, I am using Exchange account on my Outlook. Is there a way to change password from Outlook? Any information will be appreciated. Thank you in advancd, JC ...

change the way Windows task bar/ start menu is displayed
My windows task bar/start menu is vertical on left side of screen. How do I display it horizonally at bottom of screen? Thanks. "optionguy" <optionguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9995D5EC-1F94-44FD-A94E-AFB39ADE0009@microsoft.com... > My windows task bar/start menu is vertical on left side of screen. How > do I > display it horizonally at bottom of screen? Thanks. Right-click in a blank part of the middle of the Taskbar...this will bring up a context menu. In the menu that pops up, if there is a check-mark next to Lock The Taskbar...

Change pivottable datasource
Hi all, i have an excel pivottable with a datasource pointing to an access database located on a share. Now i want to move the database to a different directory. How can i change the datasource location of the pivottable? thanks! -- zoeloe ------------------------------------------------------------------------ zoeloe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24479 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=380795 You can change the source programmatically. For example: ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches(1).CommandText _ = "...

interchange columns with rows
I've run out of columns so was wondering can I rotate my project such that my rows become my columns and vice versa, I need to work on a left to right,top to bottom direction. project is 256 columns by 220 rows and I need 280 columns by 220 rows hence the rotation and is there an easy way, Hi Herman never done this for anything of the size you're talking about but can't see why it wont work ... insert a new blank worksheet select your data choose edit / copy switch to the new worksheet, click in cell A1 and choose edit / paste special - transpose. fix up the column widths a...

Point of Sale database
I need to (very quickly) create a program that is user friendly that would be used by a small corner store to track sales/inventory/expenses/employees/etc. the main issue is it need to track every sale by the employee entering (by combo boxes) categories then choosing the product and then that would bring up the price and a quanity box. The employee would enter all the products for each sale and would get a running total for each client. Once the sale is complete it would update the inventory to subtract the quantities sold. Other ideas is to be able to have promotion prices ...

How to change the color of CComboBoxEx
I have derived my class from CComboBoxEx and I change the colors (SetBkColor and SetTextColor) in OnCtlColor() in response to CTLCOLOR_EDIT and CTLCOLOR_LISTBOX; I also return my brush; As a result the colors of the edit part of the combo do change but in the listbox only the space around the text is painted. The text itself and its backgound remain as the Windows defaults. "David A. Mair" <mairda@hotrmail.com> wrote in message news:<ObKF5Q#bDHA.2632@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>... > I have it working OK, here's my CColorComboBox::OnCtlColor(): > > HBRUSH CColorCo...

Stastics...too many and impact
Hi all Running the index tuning wizard against a large profile trace has identified a few new indexes and about 10 sets of statistics against a large table with many rows. Blindy applying index changes is I agree not the best approach, but it gives a good insight of course, and useful too. However, I can't say that I'm sure of the best practice with respect to statistics. Is there an significant overhead of having lots of statistics? Should I apply all the recommendations...and if not, why not? Any help greatly appreciated as always. Apologies for my typo! :-) ...

Is there a user easy way to change the active sheet name
I would like the sheet name to read what I have just put into cell A1. It's important that they are the same, and the people who are going to use this spreadsheet aren't known for their data accuracy. Thanks Brad Withrow See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/events/sheetnamefromcell.html In article <jFD_f.76$2_.46@bignews8.bellsouth.net>, "Brad Withrow" <bmwithrow@bellsouth.net> wrote: > I would like the sheet name to read what I have just put into cell A1. It's > important that they are the same, and the people who are going to use this > ...

add all contiguous numbers-column-row
Hello Group: I have a problem. I used the AutoSum function (Capital Sigma) to total a column, so I don't have to keep changing the sum formula when I add extra rows. My problem is that when I get to the third column, Autosum adds the totals of the first two rows rather than the total of the third column. How do I tell autosum to add vertically rather than horizontally? Many thanks! Jack Copy the formula for the second total to the right by dragging the fill handle (small solid square in lower right of active cell) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove cap...

Outlook 2003
In Outlook 2003 if I right-click on a toolbar and then right-click again on a specific button - say Send/Receive - most of the options are greyed-out and I cannot, for example, change it to "Default" style from "Image and Text". The only un-greyed-out options are "Delete", change the Name, or change whether or not it begins a group. Is there a setting I have to change before I can fully customise buttons? Many thanks in anticipation. Menu buttons have limited customizations available. Other buttons have all the options available. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Out...

logon photo change
Tried the "photos" newsgroup and they sent me here. Trying to change the picture on password/logon page in MS Money2003. When I change to my (custom photo) below it comes up blank. How can I get my (custom photo) to show up on the page? both photo location: C:\Documents and Settings \All Users \Application Data \Microsoft \Money \11.0 \Webcache title: signin.gif (default photo) size on disk: 56,214 bytes (custom photo) renamed to signin.gif 16,592 bytes (default photo) renamed to signin_1.gif both photo size: wide = 1.5 inches height = 1.35 inches pixels are same also: 14...