I need an interface to make security management simpler.

I'd like to see an interface that would allow me to organize security
permissions into customizable groups and then assign permissions to users and
classes by granting/denying access to the groups instead of the granular
permissions themselves.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=7020b48a-4939-4b2b-87a8-6887d05b6edd&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains

Warren

Have you looked at using Advanced Security and it's By Menu view.  This
allows you to select security based on the functional breakdown that the menu
structure uses and also avoids denying access to forms that should not have
access denied, like lookups, etc.

With the By Menu view (as long as the accelerator is turned on) you can
grant/deny access to groups of forms by using the menu tree heirarchy.

Advanced Security comes loaded for v7.5 and v8.0, and can be downloaded for
v7.0 from CustomerSource or PartnerSource.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Senior Development Consultant
Escalation Engineer
MBS Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Business Solutions

mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com

and confers no rights.

"Warren Ambrose" wrote:

> I'd like to see an interface that would allow me to organize security
> permissions into customizable groups and then assign permissions to users and
> classes by granting/denying access to the groups instead of the granular
> permissions themselves.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=7020b48a-4939-4b2b-87a8-6887d05b6edd&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
dmusgrav1 (1325)
6/17/2005 12:44:04 AM
David,

We're in the process of upgrading to v8 and I felt that need to add to your
comments about the "by menu" security suggestion. We're using test clients,
fairly similar to production machines, which are current but not state of the
art. I noticed that when GP first starts that it gives access to all menu
items to a user and then starts removing them based on the security settings.
This can take a few seconds during which a user can actually get to a window
through a "restricted" menu that has not been removed yet. I have yet to test
this on the citrix servers but I suspect that it will be even more
pronounced. I don't consider removing access to menu items a security
feature; it's more of a clean interface feature. The critical areas will
still need to have access removed at the window/form level. It would have
been nice if the menu re-structuring was done during the "Applying personal
settings" phase so that the user could not select them. Perhaps in a future
upgrade....

My 2 cents

"David Musgrave [MSFT]" wrote:

> Warren
>
> Have you looked at using Advanced Security and it's By Menu view.  This
> allows you to select security based on the functional breakdown that the menu
> structure uses and also avoids denying access to forms that should not have
> access denied, like lookups, etc.
>
> With the By Menu view (as long as the accelerator is turned on) you can
> grant/deny access to groups of forms by using the menu tree heirarchy.
>
> Advanced Security comes loaded for v7.5 and v8.0, and can be downloaded for
> v7.0 from CustomerSource or PartnerSource.
>
> David Musgrave [MSFT]
> Senior Development Consultant
> Escalation Engineer
> MBS Support - Asia Pacific
>
> Microsoft Business Solutions
> http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions
>
> mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
>
> Any views contained within are my personal views and
> not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> and confers no rights.
>

> "Warren Ambrose" wrote:
>
> > I'd like to see an interface that would allow me to organize security
> > permissions into customizable groups and then assign permissions to users and
> > classes by granting/denying access to the groups instead of the granular
> > permissions themselves.
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=7020b48a-4939-4b2b-87a8-6887d05b6edd&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
Jim8980 (510)
6/17/2005 10:10:03 PM
Jim

You are correct, just after logging in, the menu options are available until
they are hidden by a background process.

However, even if the menu choice is available, the security system will
still prevent the window from being opened as it will give a "Not Privileged"
error.

The menus being hidden is not how the security works.  The By Menu view of
Advanced Security uses the menu structure to deny access to the actual forms
on the menu structure.  Regardless of whether the menu entry is shown or not,
you will not have access to the form.

For example: The menus are hidden on login.  So remove access for your user
to some windows using the by menu view.  You will still see them on the menus
but not have access. On next login, they will be hidden on the menus.

A final point is that you can also use Shortcuts and customised toolbars to
open a form.  So just hiding menus is not enough.  The security is on the
form, regardless of what view is used in Advanced Security.

I hope this explains everything.

"jim" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
> >
> > Any views contained within are my personal views and
> > not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
> > and confers no rights.
> >

> > "Warren Ambrose" wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to see an interface that would allow me to organize security
> > > permissions into customizable groups and then assign permissions to users and
> > > classes by granting/denying access to the groups instead of the granular
> > > permissions themselves.
> > >
> > > ----------------
> > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
> > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then

6/18/2005 12:27:01 AM
I stand corrected David. I took a minute to test this and security was
removed from the forms even though I was able to go through a restricted
menu. Thanks for clearing that up.

"David Musgrave [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> > > allows you to select security based on the functional breakdown that the menu
> > > structure uses and also avoids denying access to forms that should not have
> > > access denied, like lookups, etc.
> > >
> > > With the By Menu view (as long as the accelerator is turned on) you can
> > > grant/deny access to groups of forms by using the menu tree heirarchy.
> > >
> > > Advanced Security comes loaded for v7.5 and v8.0, and can be downloaded for
> > > v7.0 from CustomerSource or PartnerSource.
> > >
> > > David Musgrave [MSFT]
> > > Senior Development Consultant
> > > Escalation Engineer
> > > MBS Support - Asia Pacific
> > >
> > > Microsoft Business Solutions
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions
> > >
> > > mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
> > >
> > > Any views contained within are my personal views and
> > > not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,

6/18/2005 1:37:02 PM
Thank you David - unfortunately, I am finding the performance of advanced
security crippling when trying to navigate the 'By Menu' route. It takes
about a 1/2 hour for the screen to refresh once I have selected the My Menu
tree.. we have approx 90 named users accessing 7 companies (4 live, 3
archive) and I do have the accelerator disabled and the Show User changes
unchecked to ensure that performance is maximized.
There is also another problem with using your suggestion. Your technical
whitepaper outlining security best practices discourages this method of
securing G/P due to the ability to set up shortcuts on the navigation pane to
circumvent. No, what I really need is an intermediate interface that will
allow me to encapsulate the 3900+ objects that I am dealing with on a
class/company basis into a more managable palette of security choices. I'd
like to be able define a group of these individual objects that would be
applicable to, say, a Sales Order call centre representative. I definitely
need something that will appease our auditors because the status quo gets me
into hot water with them year after year.

"David Musgrave [MSFT]" wrote:

> Warren
>
> Have you looked at using Advanced Security and it's By Menu view.  This
> allows you to select security based on the functional breakdown that the menu
> structure uses and also avoids denying access to forms that should not have
> access denied, like lookups, etc.
>
> With the By Menu view (as long as the accelerator is turned on) you can
> grant/deny access to groups of forms by using the menu tree heirarchy.
>
> Advanced Security comes loaded for v7.5 and v8.0, and can be downloaded for
> v7.0 from CustomerSource or PartnerSource.
>
> David Musgrave [MSFT]
> Senior Development Consultant
> Escalation Engineer
> MBS Support - Asia Pacific
>
> Microsoft Business Solutions
> http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions
>
> mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
>
> Any views contained within are my personal views and
> not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> and confers no rights.
>

> "Warren Ambrose" wrote:
>
> > I'd like to see an interface that would allow me to organize security
> > permissions into customizable groups and then assign permissions to users and
> > classes by granting/denying access to the groups instead of the granular
> > permissions themselves.
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=7020b48a-4939-4b2b-87a8-6887d05b6edd&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
Warren,

I am a Program Manager on the Great Plains team at Microsoft.  I am working
on designs for the next release of Great Plain (post version 9.0) for changes
to the security area similar to what you are referring to.  I would like the
opportunity to discuss this with you sometime in the future.  Please let me
know if you are interested.

Thanks,

Marty

"Warren Ambrose" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
> >
> > Any views contained within are my personal views and
> > not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
> > and confers no rights.
> >

> > "Warren Ambrose" wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to see an interface that would allow me to organize security
> > > permissions into customizable groups and then assign permissions to users and
> > > classes by granting/denying access to the groups instead of the granular
> > > permissions themselves.
> > >
> > > ----------------
> > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
> > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then

Thanks Marty, I would be happy to discuss this with you. Let me know what
information you need from me.

Regards,

Warren.

"Marty Montplaisir" wrote:

> Warren,
>
> I am a Program Manager on the Great Plains team at Microsoft.  I am working
> on designs for the next release of Great Plain (post version 9.0) for changes
> to the security area similar to what you are referring to.  I would like the
> opportunity to discuss this with you sometime in the future.  Please let me
> know if you are interested.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marty
>
> "Warren Ambrose" wrote:
>
> > Thank you David - unfortunately, I am finding the performance of advanced
> > security crippling when trying to navigate the 'By Menu' route. It takes
> > about a 1/2 hour for the screen to refresh once I have selected the My Menu
> > tree.. we have approx 90 named users accessing 7 companies (4 live, 3
> > archive) and I do have the accelerator disabled and the Show User changes
> > unchecked to ensure that performance is maximized.
> > There is also another problem with using your suggestion. Your technical
> > whitepaper outlining security best practices discourages this method of
> > securing G/P due to the ability to set up shortcuts on the navigation pane to
> > circumvent. No, what I really need is an intermediate interface that will
> > allow me to encapsulate the 3900+ objects that I am dealing with on a
> > class/company basis into a more managable palette of security choices. I'd
> > like to be able define a group of these individual objects that would be
> > applicable to, say, a Sales Order call centre representative. I definitely
> > need something that will appease our auditors because the status quo gets me
> > into hot water with them year after year.
> >

> > "David Musgrave [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> > > Warren
> > >
> > > Have you looked at using Advanced Security and it's By Menu view.  This
> > > allows you to select security based on the functional breakdown that the menu
> > > structure uses and also avoids denying access to forms that should not have
> > > access denied, like lookups, etc.
> > >
> > > With the By Menu view (as long as the accelerator is turned on) you can
> > > grant/deny access to groups of forms by using the menu tree heirarchy.
> > >
> > > Advanced Security comes loaded for v7.5 and v8.0, and can be downloaded for
> > > v7.0 from CustomerSource or PartnerSource.
> > >
> > > David Musgrave [MSFT]
> > > Senior Development Consultant
> > > Escalation Engineer
> > > MBS Support - Asia Pacific
> > >
> > > Microsoft Business Solutions
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions
> > >
> > > mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
> > >
> > > Any views contained within are my personal views and
> > > not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
> > > and confers no rights.

Great!

Can you send your contact information to my e-mail address
(mmontpla@microsoft.com) and I will try to give you a call or send you an
e-mail back in the next week or so.

Thanks,

Marty

"Warren Ambrose" wrote:

> Thanks Marty, I would be happy to discuss this with you. Let me know what
> information you need from me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Warren.
>
> "Marty Montplaisir" wrote:
>
> > Warren,
> >
> > I am a Program Manager on the Great Plains team at Microsoft.  I am working
> > on designs for the next release of Great Plain (post version 9.0) for changes
> > to the security area similar to what you are referring to.  I would like the
> > opportunity to discuss this with you sometime in the future.  Please let me
> > know if you are interested.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Marty
> >
> > "Warren Ambrose" wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you David - unfortunately, I am finding the performance of advanced
> > > security crippling when trying to navigate the 'By Menu' route. It takes
> > > about a 1/2 hour for the screen to refresh once I have selected the My Menu
> > > tree.. we have approx 90 named users accessing 7 companies (4 live, 3
> > > archive) and I do have the accelerator disabled and the Show User changes
> > > unchecked to ensure that performance is maximized.
> > > There is also another problem with using your suggestion. Your technical
> > > whitepaper outlining security best practices discourages this method of
> > > securing G/P due to the ability to set up shortcuts on the navigation pane to
> > > circumvent. No, what I really need is an intermediate interface that will
> > > allow me to encapsulate the 3900+ objects that I am dealing with on a
> > > class/company basis into a more managable palette of security choices. I'd
> > > like to be able define a group of these individual objects that would be
> > > applicable to, say, a Sales Order call centre representative. I definitely
> > > need something that will appease our auditors because the status quo gets me
> > > into hot water with them year after year.

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Intercompany Processing Security
With intercompany processing in PM and GL, users are required to be given access to the destination companies to post to. This creates the issue of users having access to the destination company's information that they should not be accessing. If security needs to be locked down to a company specific level this creates additional administration to an individual's level. Ideally users should be able to only have access to the company to process PM invoices of GL journals into and separatley manage access to GL accounts from destination companies. Not allowing access the entire...

Excel need help

Make typing "jump" to matching item(s) in drop-down list?
Is there any way to make a drop-down list work so that typing causes a "jump" to a matching item in the list? For example, if the list includes "chair," can it be formatted so that typing c-h- brings up "chair" in the drop-down list? This would be a huge time-saver in lengthy drop-down lists. We can make Access do it--can Excel? If you show the Control toolbox toolbar (view|Toolbars), you can add a Combobox from that toolbar. Rightclick on it and choose properties. You'll be able to set the linkedcell, listfillrange, style, and matchentry properties to...

Need Help Linking Sheets

How do I make checkboxes required?
I have a series of checkboxes on my form. I need the user to have clicked in each one of them to verify that step was taken before being allowed to close the screen. I selected yes on the required area of the master table, but it's still not enforcing the requirement. Any help is appreciated. (p.s. I don't know VB) Thanks! Star Taylor You can check the values of each checkbox in the Unload event of the form. If any are not checked (are either Null or value = 0) then set Cancel = 1, which will prevent the form from closing. Private Sub Form_Unload(Cancel As Integer) If IsNul...

Programatically open Access DB with user level security
I have an Excel Add-in that now needs to open an Access database that has user level security applied to it. The only way I have been able to achieve this so far is using the VBA Shell function, since by doing this I can pass the workgroup path and user name/password to the DB. Problem then of course is that I can't set a reference to the DB until Access has started sufficiently to begin supporting OLE and the amount of time this might take is indeterminate. A very crude workaround I am using at the moment is to pause the Excel VBA execution using Wait for a few secon...

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

Need help on this....thanks

need help badly

I need Help

Need Help Despertly!

CRM 1.2 Security Service Not starting
I have CRM 1.2 and SQL on the same box. When the server is restarted, the CRM Security Service fails to start. I must manually start the service. Any ideas? TIA -RS See TechKnowledge Error "The Microsoft CRM Security Service Failed to Start" During the Microsoft CRM Server Installation When Microsoft CRM and SQL Server 2000 are Installed on the same machine Mounim >-----Original Message----- >I have CRM 1.2 and SQL on the same box. >When the server is restarted, the CRM Security Service fails to start. >I must manually start the service. >Any ideas? >TIA ...

QA procedures for integration manager
I am going to buy Integration Manager so I can post vendor invoices affecting many accounts by obtaining the info from some large vendors on a disk. I do not know what standard Quality Assurance procedures must be followed prior to loading this data into GP so that we know all the data is valid and will not currupt the Tables/give errors. Is this import generally handled by systems people (that seems impossible as those guys or generally very busy) or by the users - like accounts payable clerk? -- Arun "Arun" <Arun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE1D1...

Plug in needed

Need to Hire Outlook 2003 Help

Which setting do I need to adjust
I've noticed that when using my default browser IE 8 and I click on a link that is suppose to start a download, it doesn't. When I click on the same link in firefox the download starts like it should. Can anyone tell me what setting in IE 8 is preventing the download from starting? on the page it says "Downloading: 50fpct-Just4freeplanet.com.rar | 34.7 MB" but in IE 8 it isn't downloading. It also isn't asking me if I want to allow IE 8 to download the file like it sometimes does. Thanks Shep wrote: > I've noticed that when using my d...

Need Help with Excel and Flagging Outcomes!
I’m using Excel 2007, and here is my question… I want to put a formula in cell C3 that looks at outcomes in cell B3. If the raw score outcome in cell B3 has the following values, I would like cell C3 to provide the following words: IF: THEN: B3=Blank C3=Blank B3= Greater than 0-1.9 C3=Definitely False B3=2.0-2.9 C3=Mostly False B3=3.0-3.9 C3=Don’t Know B3=4.0-4.9 C3=Mostly True B3= 5.0 or greater C3=Definitely True Thank you for your help! Hi This should do it: =IF(B3=0,"",IF(B3<2,"Definet...

I really need help. Need a formula. Need it yesterday.
I'm new to Excel formulas, and I need one that is well beyond me at this stage, but probably a piece of cake for an Excel Wizard. I have a modest staffing schedule on Excel that shows several teams of employees with staffing requirements that may change every thirty minutes, as does the number of employees available in each team. I have the spreadsheet linked to another that provides the total, overall staffing requirement for each half hour, so that the total staffing requirement for each half-hour automatically loads to my staffing schedule. Likewise with the total number of emp...