how to restore v7.5 GP DB into a 9.0 company

Hello,

We use a backup company in our system for testing purposes. From time
to time we restore a recent backup of our live company into it.
Sometimes though, we restore an old backup into it in order to view
the status of the company prior to some change or another.

We are just now upgrading to 9.0 from 7.5. The upgrade is going onto a
new server and most issues have been resolved. One issue I have not
figured out is as follows. Let's say that a month into running 9.0 we
realize something is funky in our GL. We decide to take a look at
things as they were from a couple months before the upgrade (and we
wish to take this look in Great Plains, not just via Access or
something). How is it possible to restore the old 7.5 database onto
the production server into an already upgraded company and still have
Great Plains utilities run through the upgrade of that database? Is
there a flag that can be set in the DYNAMICS DB to fake utilities into
thinking that the company has not yet been upgraded? I suppose I can
keep 7.5 running on the old server, but eventually it will be
decommissioned.

So, in summary, how can one restore a 7.5 DB into a 9.0 installation?

Thanks much,
Fraz

You cannot restore an older version company into a current version Dynamics
system.  There are table changes between the versions.

Your best bet is to install SQL on a different server.  Then restore the 7.5
version of the company and DYNAMICS databases.  Use a 7.5 client to access
the datat.
--
Perry Smith, MCP CCA
Senior Consultant, IT Services

"fraz" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We use a backup company in our system for testing purposes. From time
> to time we restore a recent backup of our live company into it.
> Sometimes though, we restore an old backup into it in order to view
> the status of the company prior to some change or another.
>
> We are just now upgrading to 9.0 from 7.5. The upgrade is going onto a
> new server and most issues have been resolved. One issue I have not
> figured out is as follows. Let's say that a month into running 9.0 we
> realize something is funky in our GL. We decide to take a look at
> things as they were from a couple months before the upgrade (and we
> wish to take this look in Great Plains, not just via Access or
> something). How is it possible to restore the old 7.5 database onto
> the production server into an already upgraded company and still have
> Great Plains utilities run through the upgrade of that database? Is
> there a flag that can be set in the DYNAMICS DB to fake utilities into
> thinking that the company has not yet been upgraded? I suppose I can
> keep 7.5 running on the old server, but eventually it will be
> decommissioned.
>
> So, in summary, how can one restore a 7.5 DB into a 9.0 installation?
>
> Thanks much,
> Fraz

The upgrade process asks you to print and verify before and after journals.
If you follow that suggestion you won't find anything funky in your GL after
the upgrade.

Think about it for a minute, the only way you could use the 7.5 db in GP is
to convert it which defeats means you'll be using a DB created by the
conversion process to test another DB created by that same conversion process.

VinceV

"fraz" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We use a backup company in our system for testing purposes. From time
> to time we restore a recent backup of our live company into it.
> Sometimes though, we restore an old backup into it in order to view
> the status of the company prior to some change or another.
>
> We are just now upgrading to 9.0 from 7.5. The upgrade is going onto a
> new server and most issues have been resolved. One issue I have not
> figured out is as follows. Let's say that a month into running 9.0 we
> realize something is funky in our GL. We decide to take a look at
> things as they were from a couple months before the upgrade (and we
> wish to take this look in Great Plains, not just via Access or
> something). How is it possible to restore the old 7.5 database onto
> the production server into an already upgraded company and still have
> Great Plains utilities run through the upgrade of that database? Is
> there a flag that can be set in the DYNAMICS DB to fake utilities into
> thinking that the company has not yet been upgraded? I suppose I can
> keep 7.5 running on the old server, but eventually it will be
> decommissioned.
>
> So, in summary, how can one restore a 7.5 DB into a 9.0 installation?
>
> Thanks much,
> Fraz

0
VinceV (156)

How can I discover who accessed Exchange 5.5 server with Outlook 2
I have an Exchange 5.5 server that has been accessed by someone with an Outlook 2003 client. This has caused OWA to stop working. How can I discover which mailbox has been accessed by the Outlook 2003 client? Regards When you look at the Logons information under the Private infomration store, it should show the last time they were accessed, and should also display which client accessed the mailbox. Outlook 2003 should show a client version of 11.0 Also, to be fair, this is a very well known issue, and the hotfix has been available for a long time. The KB article was published back ...

"reply to" address in Exhcange 5.5
Is there a way to set a different "reply to" address for all e-mails sent from the sending address? The goal is to have a user click on "reply" and have the e-mail routed to a different user than the one who sent the message - in this case to go to a person instead of an unmonitored box. If not, could a rule be set up to automatically forward replies to another box? Thanks, Marc marc_medina@hotmail.com ...

migrate 5.5 to 2003
Is necessary to install 2003 in coexistence mode to use the migration wizard to import mailboxes andpublic folders from 5.5 to a new 2003 installation ? The migration wizard can only be used when the source and destination Exchange server are in different Exchange Orgs and the migration wizard will not do public folders for you. "Miliuccio" <middiuzzo@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:chrqm2$503$1@newsread.albacom.net... > Is necessary to install 2003 in coexistence mode > to use the migration wizard to import mailboxes andpublic folders from 5.5 > to a new 2003 ...

Dynamics 11.0 Features List
I understand that maybe by April 2010 we will see this new version released. We have to budget 2010 now, so I need to find out what kind of features will be available in this new version so we can determine if it's something worthwhile to upgrade to. Does anyone have an enhancement document? We will be publishing a feature list at the beta timeframe, January 2010. We will be posting an updated Statement of Direction in the next week to PartnerSource, it will have a partial list of functionality. Thanks, Pam "Luvsql" wrote: > I understand that maybe by April 2010 w...

"Running Autoupdate Installer script' hangs while doing 12.1.0
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, Little problem When installing Office 2008 SP1 update, the installer just hangs and says: running autoupdate installer.... Is there anything I can do - or is it meant to take ages and ages?? Thanks Tom Actually, behind the script when I shut it down is a message: Microsoft Office 2008 Update doesn't understand the << event sysodisA>> message But I dunno what to do???? thanks t > Hi, > > Little problem > > When installing Office 2008 SP1 update, the installer just hangs > ...

Is there a definitive list of what post SP4 patch are needed for Exchange 5.5?
Is there a definitive list of what post SP4 patch are needed for Exchange 5.5? In short of making a spreadsheet of all MS Security Bulletin and Knowledge Base question I was hoping MS would have a list. Thanks in advance. Steve I use this site http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx Just put your current product and service pack level and it will answer you with the post sp KB's Hope this helps. David "steve" <mis.removethis@johnhcarter.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:6c2501c42ee9$c9bed140$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a definitive list of what ...

There should be a way to restore the address book in outlook
The help file shows how to backup the address book to a .pst file but is nothing about RESTORE in the help fiile. Maybe it's called something else??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid...

RMS 2.0 #5
Hi! We recently installed RMS Store Ops 2.0. However, the product key was activated to back office computer instead of the POS. How can i correct this? What is the procedure to deactivate the product key at the back office and re-activate it at POS? Please help, very urgent! Thank you! You need to call Microsoft and move the license. Use the number under the Help file in any RMS module. They should be able to help you. "Francis Reyes" wrote: > Hi! We recently installed RMS Store Ops 2.0. However, the product key was > activated to back office computer instead of the ...

relay 5.5 to 5.5?
Hello, We have an Exchange 5.5 server running in a Chicago office that has ATT DSL. The server sends out mail on users behalf. ATT refuses to make DNS entry for server because "they own the IP address". As a result, some customers refuse to accept mail from the mail server because it won't resolve on a reverse DNS lookup. This office gets it's mail from us in Boston. People send email to our domain, and our Exchange server routes it to those users as they are set up as Custom Recipients. This works great. Is there any way to set up Exchange 5.5 to send mail fr...

Outlook 2002 error #5
Does anyone know why Outlook will not receive incoming mail, but will send outgoing mail. POP3 and SMTP are confirmed addresses. Thanks for the help. Do you get any error messages when trying to receive? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Jess" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:699701c3e6c9$ec970100$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know why Outlook will not receive incoming > mail, but will send outgoing mail. POP3 and SMTP are > confirmed addr...

unable to change pass in Ex 5.5
Hi, Having Ex 5.5 with SP4 installed. For some of the users i am unable to change password from OWA giving error 2147023569. My certificate has expired. How can i resole this problem. Regards Darshan Didn't I answer your Tuesday's question? http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.exchange.admin/browse_thread/thread/57456da2615b299e/03751d3b6b6dc287?lnk=st&q=insubject:Unbale+insubject:changing+insubject:password+insubject:from+insubject:OWA&rnum=1&hl=ru#03751d3b6b6dc287 Darshan Diora wrote: > Hi, > Having Ex 5.5 with SP4 installed. For some of th...

CR 4.0 Slide Deck
Hi CRM people ! We are busy preparing in Philadelphia to get everyone (that's over 60 callers) up to speed on key campaign messages for the roll out of CRM 4.0. Is there a standardized Slide Deck that I could use to start to train these telemarketers who will be calling on companies throughout the US to generate opportunities that will go directly to the MS Partner channel? Rather than build my own deck - if there is a standard one that I could utilize please let me know or send it to me at: TZimmerman@marketresourcepartners.com Thanks! -- Terrie ZZ I got some material for CRM...

CRM to GP Integration--Account # to Account ID
Hello: Has anybody else run across a problem integrating account records in CRM--specifically the account numbers? We would like to be able to assign an account number from CRM once they become a customer and place the first order. We have setup the integration to create GP customers on order creation, but GP overrides whatever is entered in the CRM account # field and writes the account name into the GP Customer ID field. One option we thought of was to create the records first in GP, but this would be time consuming and there would be no way to link the newly created custome...

System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point
My system is windows XP had a new hard drive installed 2008 with more space on it. Don't know what happened to the recovery CD for it, don't have it now, I think that's probably what I would need to repair it, any other way to fix it. Need help any one thank you. System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point, the (next) button does not function, because of a restoration to ''Software Distribution Service 3.0'' restore point was incomplete due to an improper shutdown. A system restore was necessary, I thought because I coul...

Exchange 5.5 #24
Unable to send email to a few different domains. Please advise >-----Original Message----- >Unable to send email to a few different domains. Please >advise >. > Since you said a few domains, do you have reverse dns for your mail server? Some mail server refuse mails if it is not set. Or maybe their mail server is temporary unavailable, could you check their MX record and test the connection manually ? With regards, Stefan I tried to send an email to this address alimento.augusto@libero.it and it came back with this error message "Unable to deliver the message d...

where is MSCRM 3.0?
I am a certified partner with access to the partner site and the MSDN universal subscription site but do not see the release that was suppose to be available Saturday? Am I missing something? Thanks. Don Not as far as I can tell. Looks like the beta release has slipped. No word from MS. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "dbj" wrote: > I am a certified partner with access to the partner site and the MSDN > universal subscription site but do not see the release that was suppose to > be available Saturday? Am I missing something? Thanks. > >...

Restoring a Database
I created a back-up of my RMS database using Store Operations manager. When I go to restore the databse on a different computer (at a different location), I get an "Unable to Restore Error 5- Access is Denied." I have the sa password the same on both machines. Any suggestins? ...

Pivot Chart #9
I want to maintain my selected color for the pivot chart. But, when i filter the chart, the selected color will refresh back to default color. Any idea to keep my selected color for the pivot chart even i refresh the chart? Thanks. Loss of formatting is a known problem with pivot charts. There's information in the following MSKB article, suggests recording a macro as you apply the formatting: Changing a PivotChart Removes Series Formatting in Excel http://support.microsoft.com/?id=215904 Jojomay wrote: > I want to maintain my selected color for the pivot chart. But, when i...

How do I print a 5.5 X 8.5 pre-cut card in Publisher?
I have some 5.5 X 8.5 cards that I want to print. It will only let me select 8.5 X 11 letter paper. There is no size in the paper list for this. Thery are not tent cards. They are one sided invitations. Please HELP. Thanks Publisher version? The easiest way is the Advanced on the right in page setup (2007). Select multiple pages per sheet in Layout type. Width 5.5, height 8.5. Change the Target page size to 11" wide 8.5" high. (landscape). -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Alaynna" <Alaynna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AACD5DAE-F217-4...

Export Exchange 5.5 data
I'm somewhat familiar with the format of the Comma Seperated Value (csv) file for the Exchange 5.5 directory import/export procedures. Is there a setting to allow me to capture the last login information for a mailbox? You can use the header.exe file to determine the names of the available attributes to export and create an export file for you. For your specific task, you can always use the Exchange Administrator application to display the last logon time and then choose File / Save Window Contents to create a suitable file. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, ...

Out of office in exchange server 5.5
Hello, Is there a way to set out of office reply on the email server rather than at the client's machine? Because if the client's machine is off, there will not be any replies sent. I am using the internet mail connector in exchange server 5.5. Thank you See reply to your later post in here. leo wrote: > Hello, > > Is there a way to set out of office reply on the email server rather > than at the client's machine? Because if the client's machine is off, > there will not be any replies sent. I am using the internet mail > connector in exchange server 5.5...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

Public Folders Restore
Hi everyone We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the backup. We have 5 Exchange servers accross different sites, now, if we restore the public folder database does that mean that all old itens will come up and replicated to all other exchange with replicas of these public folders? Is there a way that we restore and select only certain itens to restoed after a given date or something like that? Thanks "GIG" <gig@gig.com> wrote: >We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the >backup. >We have 5 Exchang...

System Restore unable to restore
My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System Restore it fails and I don't know why. In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned the machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its operation. When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore point date in bold. Selecting one of these, the dialogue box reports a valid system check point for that day. Proceeding with a selected date the system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot be restored to the s...

Back up and restore of Out look express.
Hi all, I backed up my "document and settings" and would like to get my address book restored in Outlook Express. Do you know what extension the Address book is? Can I import it? Thanks Brent Hauver www.sagehealthstore.com Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Po...