How to keep track of discounts in GP?

Hello:

We are having problems keeping track of discounts in GL. This is the scenario:

When a SOP is issued, in order to calculate the price, we do the following:
we have a X-item the base list price listed as $100, but this price list,
the base one, is only use as a referral to other price lists that we have. So
if there's a price list for Supermarkets called, "SUPER A", and the client is
a supermarket obviously, this same X-item appears with a 90% of the price,
meaning that it's actual price is $90, but if there's another price list for
a special offer or sales, we have another list price called " ONSALE B", and
this X-Item is listed as 80% of the price, so that would be $80, so in theory
the sales price is 80% and you can say a $20 discount was given to the
customer.

Here is when things get weird, to my mind there was a discount given to the
customer for $20 but as usual GP disagrees with me(damned you GP, i know
best, LOL), in the accounts distributions, when I check the account for
discounts, is in zero, meaning that GP does not considered the $20 as a
discount but something else. And you can guess the type of havoc this has
caused in accounting.

I don't know if what we are doing so far, with the many price list, is right
or wrong but in order to solve my current situation I tought of a possible
way to do this. As far as i know, the only discount that GP treats as
discount perse, is the one you type individually for each item in a line of a
SOP, then in the discount window were you specified ,either a percentage or
an amount, it's reduced  from the price and there you go. So is there a way
to populate this in a form somewhere in GP, the "markdown entry window", or
something so i'll specify the discount percent for each item, and in the case
when the customer got a special discount set priorities, where first check
the customer then the offers and then the item, or something similar, please
let me know.

Any help is appreciated

Regards

Luis

0
lguifarro (40)

I meant price sheets not price lists, so it's price sheets, sorry

Regards

Luis

"lguifarro" wrote:

> Hello:
>
> We are having problems keeping track of discounts in GL. This is the scenario:
>
> When a SOP is issued, in order to calculate the price, we do the following:
> we have a X-item the base list price listed as $100, but this price list,
> the base one, is only use as a referral to other price lists that we have. So
> if there's a price list for Supermarkets called, "SUPER A", and the client is
> a supermarket obviously, this same X-item appears with a 90% of the price,
> meaning that it's actual price is $90, but if there's another price list for
> a special offer or sales, we have another list price called " ONSALE B", and
> this X-Item is listed as 80% of the price, so that would be $80, so in theory
> the sales price is 80% and you can say a $20 discount was given to the
> customer.
>
> Here is when things get weird, to my mind there was a discount given to the
> customer for $20 but as usual GP disagrees with me(damned you GP, i know
> best, LOL), in the accounts distributions, when I check the account for
> discounts, is in zero, meaning that GP does not considered the $20 as a
> discount but something else. And you can guess the type of havoc this has
> caused in accounting.
>
> I don't know if what we are doing so far, with the many price list, is right
> or wrong but in order to solve my current situation I tought of a possible
> way to do this. As far as i know, the only discount that GP treats as
> discount perse, is the one you type individually for each item in a line of a
> SOP, then in the discount window were you specified ,either a percentage or
> an amount, it's reduced  from the price and there you go. So is there a way
> to populate this in a form somewhere in GP, the "markdown entry window", or
> something so i'll specify the discount percent for each item, and in the case
> when the customer got a special discount set priorities, where first check
> the customer then the offers and then the item, or something similar, please
> let me know.
>
> Any help is appreciated
>
> Regards
>
> Luis

0
lguifarro (40)
4/17/2009 11:51:02 PM
Dear Luis

There are two ways of doing this.

1. You can look at the Extended Pricing feature which gives you the
option of choosing multiple complex price lists and primarily handles
your promotion stuff much much better
2. You can also look at doing a out of the box VB customization which
can be enabled on each item price list window which can then propulate
the markdown automatically in SOP entry. We have done this for one of
our clients.

Thanks

Janakiram M.P.

On Apr 18, 2:51=A0am, lguifarro <lguifa...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> [...]
ble
> > way to do this. As far as i know, the only discount that GP treats as
> > discount perse, is the one you type individually for each item in a lin=
e of a
> > SOP, then in the discount window were you specified ,either a percentag=
e or
> > an amount, it's reduced =A0from the price and there you go. So is there=
 a way
> > to populate this in a form somewhere in GP, the "markdown entry window"=
, or
> > something so i'll specify the discount percent for each item, and in th=
e case
> > when the customer got a special discount set priorities, where first ch=
eck
> > the customer then the offers and then the item, or something similar, p=

janakirammp (688)
4/18/2009 7:55:10 AM
Luis,

You're right, if the price list reflects the 'discounted' price, there is
nowhere in GP that it keeps track of the discount.  The markdown
accomplishes what you want by creating a separate GL distribution for the
discount, but out-of-the-box you have to populate that manually.

One other option I have used, if the discount doesn't need to be tracked in
different GL accounts depending on item, is Trade Discount.  For example,
you know that Customers in class SUPERMARKET always get 10% off.  Enter the
trade discount on the Customer Card (or enter it on the class and roll it
down, if you are using classes).  When you enter an SOP transaction, the
trade discount will be calculated automatically.  If there is a special in
place, and you want to show that separately, you can still enter an
additional markdown, but that should now be an exception.

The trade discount actually gets calculated by line item in the SOP tables,
so if you need to show this by line item on invoices, you can - of course
you would need to customize your report(s) for this.  Otherwise, if you are
ok showing the discount as a total at the end, GP will do that
automatically.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"lguifarro" <lguifarro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> We are having problems keeping track of discounts in GL. This is the
> scenario:
>
> When a SOP is issued, in order to calculate the price, we do the
> following:
> we have a X-item the base list price listed as $100, but this price list,
> the base one, is only use as a referral to other price lists that we have.
> So
> if there's a price list for Supermarkets called, "SUPER A", and the client
> is
> a supermarket obviously, this same X-item appears with a 90% of the price,
> meaning that it's actual price is $90, but if there's another price list
> for
> a special offer or sales, we have another list price called " ONSALE B",
> and
> this X-Item is listed as 80% of the price, so that would be $80, so in
> theory
> the sales price is 80% and you can say a $20 discount was given to the
> customer.
>
> Here is when things get weird, to my mind there was a discount given to
> the
> customer for $20 but as usual GP disagrees with me(damned you GP, i know
> best, LOL), in the accounts distributions, when I check the account for
> discounts, is in zero, meaning that GP does not considered the $20 as a
> discount but something else. And you can guess the type of havoc this has
> caused in accounting.
>
> I don't know if what we are doing so far, with the many price list, is
> right
> or wrong but in order to solve my current situation I tought of a possible
> way to do this. As far as i know, the only discount that GP treats as
> discount perse, is the one you type individually for each item in a line
> of a
> SOP, then in the discount window were you specified ,either a percentage
> or
> an amount, it's reduced  from the price and there you go. So is there a
> way
> to populate this in a form somewhere in GP, the "markdown entry window",
> or
> something so i'll specify the discount percent for each item, and in the
> case
> when the customer got a special discount set priorities, where first check
> the customer then the offers and then the item, or something similar,
> please
> let me know.
>
> Any help is appreciated
>
> Regards
>
> Luis

0
victoria (3340)
4/18/2009 10:00:05 AM
thanks for you reply.

The thing is that we have several accounts for discount for all the items,
for example, when we sell Johnie Walker, there's a account called, "Johnie
Walker Sales", and "Johnie Walker Discounts", and so on, for the rest of the
items. That's why i'm looking of a way to automatically populate the markdown
so when we sell this the discount automacally goes for it's respective
account. I know that in order to mantain this i'll have to do some VBA to
create perhaps a form so people can, in case it varies, mantain the proper
discounts percentages for the items.

Also where do you set the mark down for the items in GP, or the markdowns??

Regards

Luis

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > right
> > or wrong but in order to solve my current situation I tought of a possible
> > way to do this. As far as i know, the only discount that GP treats as
> > discount perse, is the one you type individually for each item in a line
> > of a
> > SOP, then in the discount window were you specified ,either a percentage
> > or
> > an amount, it's reduced  from the price and there you go. So is there a
> > way
> > to populate this in a form somewhere in GP, the "markdown entry window",
> > or
> > something so i'll specify the discount percent for each item, and in the
> > case
> > when the customer got a special discount set priorities, where first check
> > the customer then the offers and then the item, or something similar,

0
lguifarro (40)
4/18/2009 6:01:01 PM
Thanks for the reply:

Where do i exactly look at this Extended Price that you mentioned bacause i
haven't been able to find it.

Regards

Luis

"Janakiram" wrote:

> [...]
> > > discount but something else. And you can guess the type of havoc this has
> > > caused in accounting.
> >
> > > I don't know if what we are doing so far, with the many price list, is right
> > > or wrong but in order to solve my current situation I tought of a possible
> > > way to do this. As far as i know, the only discount that GP treats as
> > > discount perse, is the one you type individually for each item in a line of a
> > > SOP, then in the discount window were you specified ,either a percentage or
> > > an amount, it's reduced  from the price and there you go. So is there a way
> > > to populate this in a form somewhere in GP, the "markdown entry window", or
> > > something so i'll specify the discount percent for each item, and in the case
> > > when the customer got a special discount set priorities, where first check
> > > the customer then the offers and then the item, or something similar, please

lguifarro (40)
4/18/2009 6:04:02 PM
Dear Luis

You should be able to enable extended pricing by going to  Microsoft
Dynamics GP>Tools>Setup>Sales>Extended Pricing and then enable
Extended Pricing. If you see that Enable extended pricing is greyed
out, it means you dont have license. Please check the partnersource on
how to obtain extended pricing and check the features before you make
a decision.

On the VBA customization side, You should do it on Item Price List
screen.

Thanks

Janakiram M.P.

On Apr 18, 9:04=A0pm, lguifarro <lguifa...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Thanks for the reply:
>
> Where do i exactly look at this Extended Price that you mentioned bacause=
> haven't been able to find it.
>
> Regards
>
> Luis
>

> "Janakiram" wrote:
> > Dear Luis
>
> > There are two ways of doing this.
>
> > 1. You can look at the Extended Pricing feature which gives you the
> > option of choosing multiple complex price lists and primarily handles
> > your promotion stuff much much better
> > 2. You can also look at doing a out of the box VB customization which
> > can be enabled on each item price list window which can then propulate
> > the markdown automatically in SOP entry. We have done this for one of
> > our clients.
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Janakiram M.P.
>
> > On Apr 18, 2:51 am, lguifarro <lguifa...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I meant price sheets not price lists, so it's price sheets, sorry
>
> > > Regards
>
> > > Luis

E B", and

janakirammp (688)
4/18/2009 7:18:34 PM
You mean where do you set the markdown GL account number?  That's going to
be on the Item Account Maintenance (Cards > Inventory > Item > Accounts).

--

> [...]
>> > discount perse, is the one you type individually for each item in a
>> > line
>> > of a
>> > SOP, then in the discount window were you specified ,either a
>> > percentage
>> > or
>> > an amount, it's reduced  from the price and there you go. So is there a
>> > way
>> > to populate this in a form somewhere in GP, the "markdown entry
>> > window",
>> > or
>> > something so i'll specify the discount percent for each item, and in
>> > the
>> > case
>> > when the customer got a special discount set priorities, where first
>> > check
>> > the customer then the offers and then the item, or something similar,

0
victoria (3340)
4/19/2009 11:07:27 AM
Im wondering why you can't write a report showing the items sold (from sales
transaction history), the price charged, and the list price from inventory
(iv00106?).  If you are using price sheets, then you would need to match the
price sold potentially against the price sheet.

I have done this several times for firms that wanted to know who was
discounting sales to whom!

Once you get the discount amount, you can sort the report by item and group
by account number index from the inventory table to get the data grouped for
manual postings.
--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"lguifarro" wrote:

> [...]
> > > right
> > > or wrong but in order to solve my current situation I tought of a possible
> > > way to do this. As far as i know, the only discount that GP treats as
> > > discount perse, is the one you type individually for each item in a line
> > > of a
> > > SOP, then in the discount window were you specified ,either a percentage
> > > or
> > > an amount, it's reduced  from the price and there you go. So is there a
> > > way
> > > to populate this in a form somewhere in GP, the "markdown entry window",
> > > or
> > > something so i'll specify the discount percent for each item, and in the
> > > case
> > > when the customer got a special discount set priorities, where first check
> > > the customer then the offers and then the item, or something similar,

0
info4071 (3004)
4/19/2009 1:03:01 PM
Thanks for your reply:

The thing is that what we want is to automatically update the markdown as
the lines in the SOP are entered, because it's the only discount GP accepts.
As I've said in my question the difference between the actual price, and the
base price in the price sheets, which i consider a discount, does not get
posted to it's respective accounts in GL, and after severals test that I've
done only when you manually input the markdown for the line item in the SOP
it does get posted as discount. That's why I'm looking for a way to do this.

Regards

Luis

"Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > One other option I have used, if the discount doesn't need to be tracked in
> > > different GL accounts depending on item, is Trade Discount.  For example,
> > > you know that Customers in class SUPERMARKET always get 10% off.  Enter the
> > > trade discount on the Customer Card (or enter it on the class and roll it
> > > down, if you are using classes).  When you enter an SOP transaction, the
> > > trade discount will be calculated automatically.  If there is a special in
> > > place, and you want to show that separately, you can still enter an
> > > additional markdown, but that should now be an exception.
> > >
> > > The trade discount actually gets calculated by line item in the SOP tables,
> > > so if you need to show this by line item on invoices, you can - of course
> > > you would need to customize your report(s) for this.  Otherwise, if you are
> > > ok showing the discount as a total at the end, GP will do that

0
lguifarro (40)

Outlook keeps prompting for logon..
User is on Outlook 2k3, latest service packs, updates, etc. Mailbox lives on Exchange 2007 (SP1). Everytime the user starts Outlook they're prompted to logon. I've disabled the logon prompt at startup option (and enabled it and then disabled it again), but it's still happening. I've tried it with cached mode on and cached mode off. I've tried it with offline mode enabled and disabled. I've tried deleting his profile and recreating it. I've tried switching to an RPC/HTTPS connection. Finally, i completely uninstalled Outlook 2k3 and installed Outlook 2k7. Not...

Tracking Changes Question
Hi, We are trying to find a way to track all of the changes to our spreadshets and, I was hoping, to our modules. This is related to the Sarbanes Oxley Act. The powers that be want to freeze our spreadsheets at a point in time and then track any changes that we make. Is anybody familiar with this? Thanks, Anita Yes, you need to make the workbook a shared worbook (Tools>Shar Workbook) then select enable tracking (Tools>Track Changes). 'Here's (http://tinyurl.com/3e3g3) the official line. Or you can find tutorial 'here (http://www.jmu.edu/computing/workshop/handouts/...

GP v10 - windows
Just upgraded to v10 - how can we get the windows we are working in to stay visible on the screen? we often have to work with more than one window at a time and to have them all "hide" at the bottom is a nuisance. The bad news is you can't. The good news is that it grows on you after a while. I still don't like it, but it doesn't drive me crazy anymore. "Pam" <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88C98232-7189-475A-A73B-D3A83B6BAF04@microsoft.com... > Just upgraded to v10 - how can we get the windows we are working in to stay &g...

Tracking of Spouses Finances
When I go through the initial interview process, Money 2003 and 2004 ask whether you want to track your spouses finances as well. I have however been unable to find out whether Money does something with this information later on. Anyone knows if there is some functionality that uses this information? Thanks. Charles -- I think it might come on handy on the tax estimator... "Richard Bollar, MVP" <bollar@bollar.org> wrote in message news:uDmY3xCWDHA.3088@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > The only place that it's obvious is in the lifetime planner, where each > spouse...

Help Old addresses keep coming up

outlook to exchange tracking
Hi All, I have an outlook client that is sending strange messages through the server. I need to track down what the client IP is or what user account is being used to send these messages. Is there a way to track activity between outlook and the exchange server? ...

Outlook sends winmail.dat attachment when Track in CRM is clicked
If a client clicks on Track in CRM button and sends email with attachment, for example .xls file Outlook sends it as an winmail.dat attachment which is unreadable for many people. If the function Track in CRM is not active the attachment is send OK. I have played a bit with format of sent e-mails, e.g. plain text, html but it behaves still in the same way. -- Thank You, Robert Harrison Portland: 503-345-9176 ext 814 Seattle: 206-686-3254 ext 814 Gateway Solutions Inc www.GSIcrm.com Certified Microsoft CRM Solution Partner ...

Keep Lines Together; Keep with Next

Message Tracking Center?
Is it possible to export the list of information that you get from the Message Tracking Center? I need to send a list of emails that was sent from a specific user during a date range. Win2003 Server/Exchange 2003 sp2 The message tracking log files are text files. If you can write code, you could develop a script to pull what you want out of them. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Penny Miller" <Penny.Miller@co.chelan.wa.us> wrote in message news:O84nkXgpGHA.4196@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to...

why do my pictures keep disappearing?
Although I have checked the box in 'pictures' any form of graphic or word art that I have inserted into my publication keeps disappearing! If I click in the general direction of the insertion the bounding dots appear, but no picture Are you sure you have view, pictures, detailed display checked? If so try updating your graphics driver... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "JG" <JG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57E101AC-A758-400A-9269-3B68B754CA0E@microsoft.com... > Altho...

GP Sales Report, Why it is with the sales that have credit noted??
Hi, I tried to get the sales figure from the sales transation report. However, finally I found the sales figure with the sales which have been cancelled by credit notes. In other words, the sales figure is much bigger than it should be. How can I get the real sales figure from sales transaction report? ...

how can I keep a tab in place?
I have workbooks with multiple worksheets. I would like to keep the summary tab in a fixed (first) position so that the user can easily, quickly find it without using the l<, <, >, >l (arrow) tabs. I use hyperlinks to get from the summary tab to the other tabs, and I know I can hyperlink tab back... but I'd rather not use the hyperlinks too much. Tools - Protection - Protect workbook (for structure) Or, create a custom button/macro that navigates to the summary sheet. -- Best Regards, Luke M "missy8892" <missy8892@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Dynamics GP 9.0
When you install Dynamics GP 9.0 from the CD, in the Insallation Type window you will see Server Option or Client Option. The first option should technically say "Server & Client", not just Server. Needless to say, when you Install Server, it installs Client as well. Thanks Girish ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft...

Outlook 2003 keeps asking for password for POP3 account
I am running WinXP Pro and Office 2003. My Outlook 2003 keeps popping up intermittently a pop-up box requesting me to re-enter the POP3 account password. Now, there is nothing wrong with the password already entered (check box to save password), so all i am having to do is click OK, but it is really annoying. Does anyone know what i can do to stop Outlook from doing this? Thanks for your help. ...

How do I keep the home tool bar on top
An hour ago the home tool bar stoped being displayed. I can restore it but every time i hit a key the tool bar disapers. How do I keep the tool bar on top while I am typing. You've minimized the Ribbon. Double-click any tab on the Ribbon to restore it. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "RobertTaylor" <RobertTaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:081A95C4-76B9-47E2-A4E6-83A080233AD0@microsoft.com... > An hour ago the home tool bar stoped being displayed. I can rest...

Allow posting through ability with Intercompany Trx in GP
Allow the ability to post through to the GL for Intercompany Transactions ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=87d323a4-0d40-4f23-8639-baa33abeca87&dg=microso...

Meeting tracking info shows "none".
Environment: All Windows 2003 (server), Exchange 2003, XP, and Office 2003 (latest service packs and updates for all). We have a user that isn't seeing any response information under the tracking tab of a meeting they've created. It just says "none" and never updates, even though several users had already accepted. The problem still happens on other PC's where i create his profile. If i create my own profile on any of these same PC's, it works fine. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance. Is your client OPENING the responses that he receives? Does your client ha...

How to keep userform always on the top of all windows application
Hi All!! Is there some that when I execute an excel user form, it *remains o the top * of all the windows applications that are currently running until & unless I, manually, minimize or close it. Regards, Jat -- JAtz_DA_WA ----------------------------------------------------------------------- JAtz_DA_WAY's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2668 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=40059 You may get an answer to your question--but it'll involve both making the userform always on top plus adding those minim...

Keep it alive
Hello! Is it possible to declare an Access.Application object in a module of another db (let's call it db1), display the application window to the user interface and keep it alive even when db1 is closed? Because the database object is closed as soon as the memory used by db1 is released.. Thanks for any suggestion! Answered in another group where you posted this. ...

how to keep text with next paragraph
"Church Mouse" wrote: > What is the problem? Version? ...

deposit to keep??
When you cancel a layaway and rms ask you if you want deposit to keep and you say ok, what happens to the money and where does that money go? and is there a way to turn off that button? ...

keep or not keep SMTP log files?
Hi, I'm curious about what do you do with your SMTP lof files? How long do you keep your smtp lof files? Save them onto a tape media or external harddrive? Do you delete them after 6 months? Or don't keep them at all? I'm trying to get a general idea what administrators do to their smtp log files. Thanks and appreciate it. Ricky On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:01:04 -0700, Ricky T <RickyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I'm curious about what do you do with your SMTP lof files? How long do you >keep your smtp lof files? Save them onto a tape medi...

GP 10 - Maintenance Backup
Hi, I am getting the error message when try to create the backup GP Dynamics >> Maintenance >> Backup "You must be on server machine to perform this task" I am on a GP Server machine ( the GP folder has a \SQL folder ) I logged in as 'sa' I logged in to this Terminal Server as an "Administrator" the SQL Server is on a different server ( cluster environment) please advise Syed The message is saying you must be on the SQL Server machine. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Syed" wrote: > Hi, > > I am getting the ...

Pre-sale and tracking quantities
My client has a feed store and we're implementing RMS 2.0. They have customers who come in and pay for feed up front but not take the feed with them. They will come in several times during the month/quarter to pick up the feed (this is because they always want fresh feed for their animals). How would you ring up this type of sale? Layaway with 100% deposit? Work Order? How would you then track what they pick up? It's not always the same feed. They might deposit $1,000 as a blanket for whatever type of feed they need when they come to the store. Thanks! Teri I think wor...