Horizons vs GP Manufacturing

Hello

I have a Manufacturing prospect who will need a fairly basic BOM and MRP
system in GP.

I am looking at both standard GP manufacturing and also at the Horizons
products.  Does anyone have any experience of both? If so, are there any
major pro's/cons of either, and what was Horizons like to deal with?

The training/documentation on GP Mfg is virtually non existent so for a
Manufacturing newbie like me it isn't great.

Any advice or feedback gratefully received.

Thanks

If their process is not complex, then Horizons might be a good fit. Horizons
has less configuration than GP, so less maintenance. It also does not require
that you create routings in conjunction with the BOM. GP is a better fit if
mfg process is complex and they need to really get detailed in the per unit
costs of labor, overheads, variable overheads, etc. Horizons is better at
non-discrete mfg. The Horizons people are very good to work with. Contact
Francis Ryglewicz at 800-287-8014 ext 811.

"EJ" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a Manufacturing prospect who will need a fairly basic BOM and MRP
> system in GP.
>
> I am looking at both standard GP manufacturing and also at the Horizons
> products.  Does anyone have any experience of both? If so, are there any
> major pro's/cons of either, and what was Horizons like to deal with?
>
> The training/documentation on GP Mfg is virtually non existent so for a
> Manufacturing newbie like me it isn't great.
>
> Any advice or feedback gratefully received.
>
> Thanks
Thankyou, that is really helpful.

"DavidInterDyn" wrote:

> If their process is not complex, then Horizons might be a good fit. Horizons
> has less configuration than GP, so less maintenance. It also does not require
> that you create routings in conjunction with the BOM. GP is a better fit if
> mfg process is complex and they need to really get detailed in the per unit
> costs of labor, overheads, variable overheads, etc. Horizons is better at
> non-discrete mfg. The Horizons people are very good to work with. Contact
> Francis Ryglewicz at 800-287-8014 ext 811.
>
> "EJ" wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I have a Manufacturing prospect who will need a fairly basic BOM and MRP
> > system in GP.
> >
> > I am looking at both standard GP manufacturing and also at the Horizons
> > products.  Does anyone have any experience of both? If so, are there any
> > major pro's/cons of either, and what was Horizons like to deal with?
> >
> > The training/documentation on GP Mfg is virtually non existent so for a
> > Manufacturing newbie like me it isn't great.
> >
> > Any advice or feedback gratefully received.
> >
> > Thanks

Third Party Cash Accounting Package for GP
Does anyone know of an ISV product that somehow converts your standard accrual based entries and changes them to cash based accounting. A cleint that we picked up says that they have such a product. They don't know who developed it, but that they got it from their reseller. I am going to post this message on another news group so so you may see 2 postings. Joanne Mahoney Jacksonville, FL juanne, The only one I know is cash based reporting from Aim Solutions. I've heard that itis a good product froma developer who once worked for them but have not used it or evaluated it. http://w...

Exchange 2000 vs 2003
I am performing a server redeployment over the holiday period and am considering upgrading our Exchange 2000 Server to an Exchange 2003 Server. Our servers all run Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition, and I am wondering about stability of Exchange 2003 vs 2000. Does anyone have experience making this upgrade and if so, have you encountered any issues with stabililty under Exchagne 2003? Thank you in advance for your comments! I have done both in-place upgrades from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003, and the 'move mailbox' method. In my experience, both have been fine and in my ...

Horizonal bar chart with secondary axis problem
I have 3 columns, one is labels and other others are data. when I create a horizonal bar chart, the order of the data is reversed; no, I don't know why. I am diosplaying the data on 2 different axes since they have different scales. When I reverse the order of the labels in the vertical axis format window, only the data on the primary axis is also reversed--the data on the seconary axis remains in the original (incorrect) order. I need the table in the spredsheet and the chart to display in the same order. Any solutions/suggestions? -- Barry The data isn't reversed in the char...

GP 8.0 help, corrupted datbase?
Hello techies.. I am very new to Great Plains so I need some assistance and hopefully someone can help. We are using GP 8.0, and for some reason this week we have started have problems with our Dynamics database, on SQL 2000. When a user logs in to GP, then they select their company it the window then says "initializing Great Plains" then quickly changes to "applying personal settings". On occasion, before it begins the "applying.." we get errors associated with some custom modules that were created months ago. This problem only started happening this w...

contact linking
When I link a contact that contains both a first & last name and a company name, the first & last name is placed in the field. I have a user that would like the company name to be automatically placed in the field. Is this possible? We do notice that if the first/last name of a contact is not filled in and only the company name is, then the company name will drop in when linking the contact. -- cimarronmgt http://forums.slipstick.com No, its not possible unless you edit the full name field to include the company name. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Ou...

learning curve 97 vs XP
I've been programming in Access 97 for several years and my company is thinking about upgrading to XP. How different is programming in 97 vs. XP? Will there be a significant learnin curve before I can start programming in XP? What are some of the main differences between 97 and XP? Thanks for your input. "hnq51834" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0b0201c39e22$bc39b100$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I've been programming in Access 97 for several years and > my company is thinking about upgrading to XP. How > different is programmin...

contacts vs email address #2
Greetings, I needed to move my outlook (2003) from my old computer to a new one. I exported both the mail and contact folders to the new machine and all seems well EXCEPT: When I create a new email and click the To button only some of my contacts appear in the list. Yet when I go to Contacts I see all of my contacts. For instance I have a contact for Joe Smith but when I click the To button in a new email Joe Smith does not appear. Also If I just type in the name Joe Smith Outlook does not fill in the address. Sorry if this is a basic questions but I can not figure out how to fix this. Any ...

GP Web Services
Is anyone aware of how I can retrieve the Bank details for a Vendor? I can quite happily add Bank details to a Vendor through GP but seem unable to retrieve the Bank details GP Web Services. Any help you can provide in this is most appreciated. Regards Chris What are you trying to accomplish? What kind of information are you looking for? -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "Christopher Beach" wrote: > Is anyone aware o...

WLM vs Windows Live Hotmail
What is the difference between the two? I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 and as a result I activated a Windows Live email account. I am able to access this both from Windows Live Mail (since setting this up on my system) as well as from Hotmail. They look different and they seem to offer different features. I like that I can access my email from either the IE email icon or the icon on my WLMessenger, but I like the ease of the Hotmail. It seems to have less features as well. Is there any way to clean things up on the WLM? Is there an advantage to one over the othe...

VS 2005
Hi Everyone, Did anyone have problems installing MSDN for VS 2005. I installed VS 2005 yesterday, then told it to install the documentation, but it wouldn't take the MSDN for VS 2005 disk. So I started the installation myself, by running setup on MSDN disk. But even then, when it asked for disk 2, I put it in, but it wouldn't recognize it! AliR. Looks like a bad CD/DVD. -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "AliR" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message news:Eywvf.63431$tV6.62144@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net... > Hi Everyone, > > Did anyone have problems install...

Manufacturing-sales link tables
What are the tables for the following: 1. Table that stores the link between sales order line and manufacturing order. 2. For configuration items, table that stores configuration options and configuration options values for each of the sales lines. 1. IS010001 2. I used IVR50000 and OC010000 Tell me if this tables won't work for your report and I can help you more. -- http://ddelprado.blogspot.com "Scott" wrote: > What are the tables for the following: > > 1. Table that stores the link between sales order line and manufacturing > order. > 2. For config...

SmartList Credit/Debit Vs Debit/Credit Sequence
Every Great Plains screen shows columns in order where Debit is to the left and Credit is to the right. All the default SmartList displays show just the opposite. SmartList *Default displays should show Debits to the left and Credits to the right. It's a pain to export to Excel and have to cut/paste these two columns in order to not look like you did it backwards when you email the Excel sheet to the CFO. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree&quo...

2002 EA vs. 2003 Pro
After much confusion, I finally figured out that VS.NET 2003 ships with Visio EA 2002. While I can install Visio 2003 Pro from my MSDN subscription, I won't have UML functionality if I do this. A while ago I had problems with Visio, so I did some installing/reinstalling (I can't remember what versions). Apparently I ended up installing Visio 2002 EA. I've gone to the Office website, and updated to service pack 2. Here's the problem: When I open some UML diagrams I did in Visio (I don't remember which version) a while ago, Visio 2002 EA tells me the diagrams were creat...

GP manufacturing-import BOMs from horizons
We are considering moving from Horizons mfg over to GP 9.0 manufacturing. I can not find any way to export my Horizons BOMs and import them into GP manufacturing. With Horizons, there is a tool to import BOMs but I can not find any way to do this in GP. can some one point me in the right direction? or do I have to import all of my BOMs one by one? It just seems like Microsoft or someone has to have done this before. Thank you I don't know if Horizon Software has any conversion tools you may want to check. But because the table structures are so different the best way is to dump...

pervasive GP 7.5 standalone
we have a client on GP 7.5 pervasive that would like to move their data to a standalone workstation . They only access the data for historical purposes and are not processing data in GP. Is there a way I can install pervasive & GP on the same workstation? I have tried copying the data and installing pervasive on the workstation, but I get a location translation not found. Yes you can. To set up Pervasive on a stand alone server do a search in Partnersource for "install pervasive". You will find a few documents. Choose the one for the version the client has. Make not...

How to move standard buttons in VS.NET2003 wizards?
Hi, I can't seem to move the next and back buttons in my CPropertySheet wizard. I can get the window handles in OnInitDlg, but the rectangles are the same for each button. What I really want to do is hide the Help button, and shift everything over. Any ideas? Thanks Nevermind - I figured it out. "Curtis" wrote: > Hi, > > I can't seem to move the next and back buttons in my CPropertySheet wizard. > I can get the window handles in OnInitDlg, but the rectangles are the same > for each button. > > What I really want to do is hide the Help butt...

MenuBar like VS IDE
Hi, I have made a hello world MDI MFC application. I want to change the menu to the bitmap menu as displayed in VS 2003 IDE. I want to know the strategy for doing this. I know I have to override the following API in the mainframe:- 1) OnDrawItem 2) OnMeasureItem 3) OnMenuPopUp. Accoding to me, it should not include much effort. When the menu pops below, I need to change the background color to blue and put the bitmap there. If any one has done, Can he/she share his/her experience, so that I can do it fast ? ...

Protected Forms Checkboxes vs. ActiveX Controls vs. Any Alternativ
Hi all, I wanted to ask the community if there is a preferred route as regards checkboxes within Word 2003 documents. Having experience of protected form checkboxes I do like them, but don't like the scale of the restrictions that come with protected forms (sure they can be worked around but why have to)! I do like ActiveX controls but I understand from a previous post that overuse of them can be the cause of scrolling and/or performance issues. So, I wondered if anybody has a view or even any suggestions regarding any alternatives that would be useful to me. It...

GP 8.0 running under SQL2005?
Hi, Is that possible? Can I install GP 8.0, lastest sp released under SQL2005? I know GP 9.0 does, but GP 8.0? thanks a lot... -- Evelin. Yes, you can install GP 8.0 with SQL2005 as long as you have GP 8.0 SP4 installed. "Ana Evelin Rosa" wrote: > Hi, > > Is that possible? Can I install GP 8.0, lastest sp released under SQL2005? I > know GP 9.0 does, but GP 8.0? > > thanks a lot... > -- > Evelin. Except that SP4 isn't available yet. You can install with SP3 and it works though it is an unsupported configuration. "Kevin" <Kevin@d...

OST vs PST
I am using Windows XP on two desktops and a laptop. I use Outlook 2003 for all my contacts and email. I have been copying and transporting my pst file between home and office in order to always have the current email and schedule information. We recently installed an Exchange 2003 server at the office and will be switching it on later this week. I am trying to understand the differences between an ost file and a pst file and how I could best move information back and forth. I would like to use my office desktop as the primary computer which would be connected to the exchange server. I ...

GP Guy needs advice
Hey everyone. We're on GP v9 SP4 We process lots of ACHs in GP, batch them up and send our primary bank one ACH batch total with the line item info. They in turn send notice that our account was charged the batch total - without line items. My A/P clerk has to dig up the line items for that total in order to click off all the line items in the Bank Recon module. Waste of time. Acctg Manager wants to know if the Bank Recon module can record just the ACH batch total when you click on Print Checks in the Edit Batch process effectively reducing the clerks time by reconciling only one ...

CStatusBar and COLOR_MENU vs COLOR_3DFACE
COLOR_MENU vs COLOR_3DFACE I'm drawing some aspects of a CStatusBar myself and want to get the background color correct. Is one of these to right way to get it? ::GetSysColor(COLOR_MENU ); ::GetSysColor(COLOR_3DFACE); Any help appreciated. BTW, it's supposed to be possible to have an owner-drawn CStatusBar, but I couldn't figure out what bits to set to do that, so I ended up trapping WM_PAINT after doing CStatusBar *statusBar = (CStatusBar *) m_pMainWnd-> GetDescendantWindow(AFX_IDW_STATUS_BAR); ::SetProp(statusBar->m_hWnd, ...)); ::SetWind...

Update Record Performance
I currently have C++ code that processes a raw data file containing multiple types of records. The code creates records in multiple tables in an Access database depending on the record type. The records are created one at a time as the data is read. I don't think this is very efficient. But I can't change this part of the processing. There are hunderes of thousands of records in raw data and the tables. I now need to update fields in created records from data contained in other tables in the database. The options I've come up with are: 1. In the C++ code, read t...

Horizonal category axis
I want to take the years that are in cells B3-F3 and put them on the horizontal axis. The directions say to edit the data source so that horizontal category axis uses the years in range B3:F3. Can someone help me? Thanks Typically, when you are setting up the range to be charted, the top line, in your case row 3, contains data for the horizontal axis, then the data follows in contiguous rows/cells, row 4 and below contain the data to be plotted. If your years are in a separate section of the worksheet it is likely not to work. If the data is not contiguous use the control key ...

gp 10 How to create the Sample Company?
GP 10 is installed but the Sample company was not installed (don't know why). I can run GP Utilitites to creat a NEW company but there is no option to create the Sample and the COPY FROM option is not enable because there are not existing company's to copy from. So how can I get the sample loaded? ...