Hard drive disaster

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can advise me on the following. Recently my hard drive
crashed (beyond repair and unrecoverable) days after I'd finally downloaded
windows and had spent a lot of time with applications and browsers.
Organising system settings and updates etc to get my computer just how I
wanted it.  (Btw  the crash had nothing to do with Windows!)

I had everything operating beautifully, and then disaster struck. Is there a
way that I can store all my systems and settings so that if my hard drive
crashes I can copy over all my existing settings, emails, book marks,
applications etc.

I've just spent several days trying to set everything up again and it's
really depressing because I've lost so much valuable data.

I only backed up minimal folders which was stupid I know.

Any advice gratefully appreciated

Regards,

Margi (non-techo)
0
catwoman7 (1)

I would get one of those 250GB external drives and they make software
now that allows you to create an exact image of your hard drive,
application settings and all.  I'd back it up weekly.

Good luck,

Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP
NOVA Solutions LLC
Melbroune, FL

0
fhamelly (399)
8/1/2007 11:02:21 PM
Acronis.  Weekly. Period.  :)
0
cpamcsenet (44)
8/3/2007 6:32:02 PM
Catwoman7

You downloaded windows?  Perhaps this is why your HD crashed. Do you have an
AV program? Spyware checker? Firewall?

Images and backups are only as good as the process being used to enable them
and the integrity of the data being copied.  If you have errors, then the
errors could corrupt the backup data.

What was the reason for the crash?

"catwoman7" <catwoman7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm hoping someone can advise me on the following. Recently my hard drive
> crashed (beyond repair and unrecoverable) days after I'd finally
> downloaded
> windows and had spent a lot of time with applications and browsers.
> Organising system settings and updates etc to get my computer just how I
> wanted it.  (Btw  the crash had nothing to do with Windows!)
>
> I had everything operating beautifully, and then disaster struck. Is there
> way that I can store all my systems and settings so that if my hard drive
> crashes I can copy over all my existing settings, emails, book marks,
> applications etc.
>
> I've just spent several days trying to set everything up again and it's
> really depressing because I've lost so much valuable data.
>
> I only backed up minimal folders which was stupid I know.
>
> Any advice gratefully appreciated
>
> Regards,
>
> Margi (non-techo)

0
gailr (88)

problem in use money files after change of hard disc
I have using money since 1990 with constant updates, my latest update was in 2005. Recently my hard disc crashed and I have to change for a new hard disc, after install money, I was unable to open my money files which run satisfactorily before the crash. When I try to run openthe file it always says "the file is created by an older version of money, money will save a copy of the file and upgrade you file for use by the program". Then after a while a message apear saying that "money is unable to acess your file .....". Can any one help me. I have run the same file...

Data query drive error
After running a sql qeury in excel 2002, receive a message error with "\" character and the help info box stating "driver error". ...

compressed drive for exchange db and logs
Is it bad to have exchange databases and logs on a compressed NTFS drive? On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:35:51 -0700, "tony" <none@none.com> wrote: >Is it bad to have exchange databases and logs on a compressed NTFS drive? > Yes. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318116/en-us/ ...

importing personal settings after reformatting hard drive
I reformatted my hard driva and re-installed Outlook 2003. I imported all folders in my old .pst file, but cannot import my toolbar settings, rules, custom contact forms etc. Can someone help? Spiv Spiv, The *.pst only includes Personal Folder data (any emails or folders you had in your personal folder). You would have had to use the Office "Save My Settings" wizard prior to reformatting your hard drive. "Spiv" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1099801c44023$36f18f10$a001280a@phx.gbl... >I reformatted my hard driva and re-installe...

Hard drive space running low
My hard drive is running out of space and I'm trying to delete whatever I can, however, I do not know if I can delete any of the following: Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for applications 2.0-ENU Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for applications 2.0- Runtime Modem Helper Modem on hold Picture gear 4.1 Lite QuickStores Toolbar 1.0.0 Smart Sound Quicktracks for Premiere Elements 8.0 SoundMax Tru Switch Wizard for AT&T members Viewpoint Media Player Interactual Player and a funny one: Microsoft Office XP Professional, but I have the Home edition (????) Any help will be ...

Virtual drive
Hi, Dave I couldn't find any difference with either X: or x: in any combination within any test macro I have below. The resultant NUL/nul depends on the last statement used -- TestStr = Dir("X:\NUL") / TestStr = Dir("X:\nul") respectively. The drawback is they cannot be used in a unified way -- not even with <Application.Run "********">. It toggled on and off. Any comment will be appreciated. (My target cell : C:\R_D\[ABC.xls]sheet1!A1 with phrase "Virtual Drive Assignment Test" ) Sub auto_open() Dim TestStr As String TestStr =...

Deleting emails from the M drive
Greetings, We have some synchronization problems with some of our laptop users that have just switched to Outlook 2003. In looking at the differences in the number of items on the server and the number of items stored locally, in some cases there is a large discrepency. For example, in my Deleted Items folder locally I have a few hundred items, but in the server there is close to 100,000! Obviously this has been going on for some time. Anyway, I went to the server to look at the Deleted Items folder in the M drive, and sure enough, there is close to 100,000 items in there. So I tr...

when writing out a file from .net, when is the file created? after the bytes are all written to the hard drive or before the bytes are written to the hard drive?
when writing out a file from .net, when is the file created? after the bytes are all written to the hard drive or before the bytes are written to the hard drive? ...

Excel save to network drive issue
I have found several articles out at Microsoft related to this issue but I am having a very difficult time finding a solution. Here is the error in full that the user gets: Your changes could not be saved to 'name of the file', but were saved to a temporary document named '95430000'. Close the existing document, then open the temporary documetn and save it under a new name. Microsoft articles: 214032, 291070, 291204, 271513 User is saving to a "home directory" that is configured in his NT profile. Microsoft states to check the file permissions. This user ...

dead hard drive or is it video?
I turned of my computeras usual, but when I went to turn it on again, only the fans came on. I can feel activity in the hard drive and it seems to click on and then off...no signal imput to my screen. Can I use it on my friends computer as a secondary hd to try to retrieve my data? I think your hard drive is dead, try to buy a new one and it'll help you. -Toi "ManyFaces_4" wrote: > I turned of my computeras usual, but when I went to turn it on again, > only the fans came on. I can feel activity in the hard drive and it seems to > click > on and then off...no s...

disaster recovery when corrupted mail database
Our exchange server from a power loss and therefore resulted in a dirty shutdown of the mail databases. It was discovered that the server would not mount one of the mailbox stores but would mount the other. Upon further investigation of the exchange backups it was discovered that the mailbox store has been corrupted for the last 30 days making a restore from the last backup unreliable. The priv1.edb and pub1.edd and .stm files were copied to an off-line server with suffucient diskspace to perform the eseutil /p and eseutil /d commands. A new mailbox store was created to allow users...

Need to redownload/install after hard drive crash
My hard drive crashed and I'm in the process of reinstalling/rebuilding everything, however I don't have a saved copy of Money Premium that I purchased. I still have my emailed receipt and can provide proof of purchase. How do I download my registered copy again? Depends on the version, but if you bought the downloaded version of 2005 or 2006 see http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/132.aspx -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://money.mvps.org/faq/default.aspx for tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your product wishes see http://mo...

How to clone failed hard drive to replacement hard drive
Looks like my current hard drive has failed as when I try to boot, the load page does not show the hard drive or the dvd/cd drive and hangs on that page. I had previous problems in trying to boot Windows and the only way to get past that problem was to boot from the installation disc and do a repair install. That got the computer booting OK. I did a scan of the hard drive and there were a few errors that could not be fixed and subsequently have got to the stage that looks like there is a hard drive failure. This hard drive does still sound OK, no noises coming from it. Is ...

Won't Initialize External Hard Drive
I am having problems getting Vista to recognize my Western Digital My Book hard drives (both a 500 GB and a 1 TB drive). When I plug the USB cable in it goes through the installing drivers and says it installed and the device is ready to use. However My Computer doesn't show the drive. Disk Manager tells me the drive needs to be initialized but when I try to initialize the drive I get one of two error messages the first says "Incorrect Function". I then tried using System Restore to reset the computer to before the last Windows Update since the drives worked fine in...

Server 2003 slow copying from external drives
I just re-installed SBS 2003 when the drives in the RAID array failed. I rebuilt it without a RAID. I am experiencing excrutiatingly slow copying from external USB drives. All Windows freeze while copying a large file (2GB+) from the external drive to the C drive. I have tried more than one external drive to eliminate drive problems as a cause. I have scanned the c: drive (chkdsk /R /X c:) for errors and found none. Copying from internal drive to internal drive does not cause the freezing or very slow copy speeds. This is a Dell Poweredge sc420 with dual Hitachi 500...

Hard Drive full
I've noticed 2 of our locations have run out of disk space. Each computer has an 80 GB HD. I looked around and found that the log_.ldf is over 20 GB and keeps growing by about 1 GB per day!!! How is this possible and how can I reduce the size of this file? How can this be prevented in the future? -- Joe Joe, The easiest thing to do is download and install SQL Management Studio Express from Microsoft.com (if not already installed). Then use this tool to connect to the database. If you right-click on the database and click Properties. Click on the Options section and cha...

Hardware With Silent Snapshots of Data Drives?
On a Windows 2003 Server with a a 1 TB D: volume, we store and run about eight virtual machines. Currently we use a Dynamic volume to make a real-time mirror of this critical volume to two different hardware RAID volumes. What I would like to know is whether there is a straightforward way we could additionally maintain "snapshots" of the logical volume on a third RAID device, to guard specifically against the nightmare scenario where an operator accidentally deletes the volume. Currently we do backups of our virtual machines with a procedure something like the follo...

Wiping hard drive on vista.
Hello my laptop recently got a virus off of a website thats security certificate had ran out 2 days ago and it has downloaded many programs and i wanted to know how to wipe my vista hard drive without a disc. The reason i haven't got a disc is because my laptop didn't come with one, it just has "Restore your computer without a disc using system restore" and when i created a back up the virus then later deleted it. Any ideas? Your's Sincerely Tom Kuipers This newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Pro...

More free space on drive c is needed
I have a program that requires a substantial amount of free space on drive c (system) during operation. Sometimes it exceeds the amount available. Is there a way to increase the amount of drive c free space without repartitioning? I have some free space on other drives and I am thinking about this feature of mounting ntfs volumes. How exactly is this done? <data.file@mail.ru> wrote in news:emyL2likKHA.2468@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl: > I have a program that requires a substantial amount of free > space on drive c (system) during operation. Sometimes it > exce...

Why is it so hard
to synch outlook over a network? AND I tried to expoet my inbox as a .pst file - re imported the file onto the reformatted drive and found that it hadn't saved / transferred the inbox sub folders If I could've synchronised over the network to my desktop - I'd would have never lost the info. :mad: ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "zeroseven" <zeroseven.x1vza@outlookforum.com> wrote in message news:zeroseven.x1vza@outlookfo...

importing pst files into Outlook from data recovery after hard disk failure
My hard drive blew but luckily my computer tech was able to recover all data onto our new hard disk. Unluckily [unwisely!] I had not made recent backups of Outlook files at home [mail messages, etc.] like I do at work. We located Outlook pst files but because they are not " backed-up" files can't seem to import them back into Outlook. [Outlook prompts to shut down, send error report, etc.] Tech says this process is possible on old OE but can't work out how to do it with Outlook. Any ideas anyone? Matt It doesn't matter if they are "not backed up" files as you...

Network drive
Hi, Is there a function to show the actual network path of the mapped drive? Unmapping is not an option as it is mapped by a number of users (all are mapped to various letters) thanks ______ Regards, Greg Refer the below for a VBA solution http://support.microsoft.com/kb/160529 -- Jacob "Greg" wrote: > Hi, > > Is there a function to show the actual network path of the mapped drive? > Unmapping is not an option as it is mapped by a number of users (all are > mapped to various letters) > > thanks > ______ > Regar...

Status bar text driving me nuts!
I have a derived status bar with four panes that display my text. All four are handled by code like this: void CMainFrame::OnUpdateIndicatorConn (CCmdUI* pCmdUI) { pCmdUI->Enable (TRUE); pCmdUI->SetText (m_cszConnected); } About 99.9% of the time this works just fine. But every once in a while one or more of the panes get cleared and no text is displayed. And the text won't be displayed again until I resize my app (even a little bit). Then all four panes get repainted. This seems to happen most often in debug mode when some of my processing takes many seconds (sometimes ...

Too hard to do?
Good Day, I have to take (certain) data from one sheet to another if a particular cell is not blank dynamically. F400 PROJ 8029 3/18/10 7.25 12 F400 ACT 8029 3/19/10 KF10-0005 EVANS 9 13 F200 PROJ 8726 3/24/10 7.25 10 F200 ACT 8726 3/25/10 KF10-0006 JOCHEN 13 19 D400 PROJ 62 3/12/10 7.25 12 D400 ACT 62 3/11/10 K10-0039 PALAS 14 20 D200 PROJ 4327 3/30/10 7.25 10 D200 ACT 4327 3/29/10 K10-0040 PALAS This is what my rows look like. First row is projected data (filled out ahead of the project starting) Second row is actual data (filled out as the project progresses...

copy hard drive?
Hello group, I am running out of space on my hard drive and want to migrate to a larger one. Can I "copy" my current hard drive onto a larger one? Is it necessary to purchase software to do so. PC running SP with all the SP packages. Also would hate to have to reinstall the many programs involved. Thanks. rc wrote: > Hello group, > > I am running out of space on my hard drive and want to migrate to a larger > one. Can I "copy" my current hard drive onto a larger one? Is it necessary > to purchase software to do so. PC running SP...