Great Plains Upgrade Options? (Questions)

I have Great Plains client installed on approx 80-100 machines and need to
do an upgrade what are my options.

I am getting ready to upgrade Great Plains to a new Service pack 7.5 sp4 and
I'm going to upgrade severl 3rd party products also.

The client install was installed to the local "C:\Great Plains\" directory

Based on my current limited knowledge of Great Plains I will have to install
the new files on each machine and then log in as an administrator from each
machine!  Is this correct?

Is it possible for me to upgrade one machine (and log in as administrator)
then copy all the files out of its "C:\Great Plains\" folder to all the
other machines folders with out having to log in as administrator from each
machine?

Any idea's would be great appreciated.  Also I'm open to all idea's except
the Terminal server rout.

Thanks,
Allen Tuggle
Sr. Programmer
Pulaski Furniture
Ph 540.994.5362
atuggle (at) pulaskifurniture.com

0
atuggle (28)

You are correct that each workstation must be updated separately.

I'm not positive that Administrator access is required, unless the
third-party applications require it.

If the workstations have the same products installed, you should be able to
copy the contents of one workstation to another. However, you will have to
update the workstation id if you are using Named Printers.

"Allen" <atuggle@pulaskifurniture.com> wrote in message
>I have Great Plains client installed on approx 80-100 machines and need to
>do an upgrade what are my options.
>
> I am getting ready to upgrade Great Plains to a new Service pack 7.5 sp4
> and I'm going to upgrade severl 3rd party products also.
>
> The client install was installed to the local "C:\Great Plains\" directory
>
> Based on my current limited knowledge of Great Plains I will have to
> install the new files on each machine and then log in as an administrator
> from each machine!  Is this correct?
>
> Is it possible for me to upgrade one machine (and log in as administrator)
> then copy all the files out of its "C:\Great Plains\" folder to all the
> other machines folders with out having to log in as administrator from
> each machine?
>
> Any idea's would be great appreciated.  Also I'm open to all idea's except
> the Terminal server rout.
>
> Thanks,
> Allen Tuggle
> Sr. Programmer
> Pulaski Furniture
> Ph 540.994.5362
> atuggle (at) pulaskifurniture.com

0
callen1071 (408)
11/11/2004 5:13:23 AM
Hi

As mentioned in my last email ( your previous post) you need to find out if
the GP users using the same mod Forms and Reports.dic files, VBA etc... if
not,  this will complicate the upgrade roll out.  Reply to this post if
users are or are not using the same mod forms and reports.

Regards

James

"Charles Allen" <callen@bkd.com> wrote in message
> You are correct that each workstation must be updated separately.
>
> I'm not positive that Administrator access is required, unless the
> third-party applications require it.
>
> If the workstations have the same products installed, you should be able
> to copy the contents of one workstation to another. However, you will have
> to update the workstation id if you are using Named Printers.
>
> "Allen" <atuggle@pulaskifurniture.com> wrote in message
>>I have Great Plains client installed on approx 80-100 machines and need to
>>do an upgrade what are my options.
>>
>> I am getting ready to upgrade Great Plains to a new Service pack 7.5 sp4
>> and I'm going to upgrade severl 3rd party products also.
>>
>> The client install was installed to the local "C:\Great Plains\"
>> directory
>>
>> Based on my current limited knowledge of Great Plains I will have to
>> install the new files on each machine and then log in as an administrator
>> from each machine!  Is this correct?
>>
>> Is it possible for me to upgrade one machine (and log in as
>> administrator) then copy all the files out of its "C:\Great Plains\"
>> folder to all the other machines folders with out having to log in as
>> administrator from each machine?
>>
>> Any idea's would be great appreciated.  Also I'm open to all idea's
>> except the Terminal server rout.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Allen Tuggle
>> Sr. Programmer
>> Pulaski Furniture
>> Ph 540.994.5362
>> atuggle (at) pulaskifurniture.com

Actually all the users/clients are identicle!

Let me describe what we have done in the past to upgrade and what I want in
the future.

In the past we sat down at each client machine performed the install.  Then
we loged in as an administrator (Ethoseries required this I think) so the
product can finish loading what it needs.  Again we do both steps on every
client.

In the future what I would like to do is install the upgrade on one client
then log in as administrator and let the client update itself accordingly.
Next I would like to copy all the files off that client to all the other
clients and not actually have to log in as an admistrator at each client.

As I think about this any configuration that is accomplished by the
administrator log in is done in one of two places. 1 the DB and 2 the local
file system.  Second any configuration done in the DB only needs to be done
once and any thing done on the local filesystem I should be able to copy
from one sysstem to the other.  The problems would come in if there are new
registry settings or something like that.

Again thanks for all the help so far.  I am kind-of a newbie to Great Plains
in general.

Thanks,
Allen

"James" <hushdontspamme@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> As mentioned in my last email ( your previous post) you need to find out
> if the GP users using the same mod Forms and Reports.dic files, VBA etc...
> if not,  this will complicate the upgrade roll out.  Reply to this post if
> users are or are not using the same mod forms and reports.
>
> Regards
>
> James
>
> "Charles Allen" <callen@bkd.com> wrote in message
>> You are correct that each workstation must be updated separately.
>>
>> I'm not positive that Administrator access is required, unless the
>> third-party applications require it.
>>
>> If the workstations have the same products installed, you should be able
>> to copy the contents of one workstation to another. However, you will
>> have to update the workstation id if you are using Named Printers.
>>
>> "Allen" <atuggle@pulaskifurniture.com> wrote in message
>>>I have Great Plains client installed on approx 80-100 machines and need
>>>to do an upgrade what are my options.
>>>
>>> I am getting ready to upgrade Great Plains to a new Service pack 7.5 sp4
>>> and I'm going to upgrade severl 3rd party products also.
>>>
>>> The client install was installed to the local "C:\Great Plains\"
>>> directory
>>>
>>> Based on my current limited knowledge of Great Plains I will have to
>>> install the new files on each machine and then log in as an
>>> administrator from each machine!  Is this correct?
>>>
>>> Is it possible for me to upgrade one machine (and log in as
>>> administrator) then copy all the files out of its "C:\Great Plains\"
>>> folder to all the other machines folders with out having to log in as
>>> administrator from each machine?
>>>
>>> Any idea's would be great appreciated.  Also I'm open to all idea's
>>> except the Terminal server rout.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Allen Tuggle
>>> Sr. Programmer
>>> Pulaski Furniture
>>> Ph 540.994.5362
>>> atuggle (at) pulaskifurniture.com

0
atuggle (28)
11/11/2004 1:08:16 PM
Frankly speaking that sounds as a good idea.
By letting user upgrade themselves, the registry setting of their machines
are updated to the new version. Then by copying and overwrite all the files
will make sure all client machines have the same set of files.
unless anyone can give me justifiable reason, I think it is a good idea!

"Allen" wrote:

> Actually all the users/clients are identicle!
>
> Let me describe what we have done in the past to upgrade and what I want in
> the future.
>
> In the past we sat down at each client machine performed the install.  Then
> we loged in as an administrator (Ethoseries required this I think) so the
> product can finish loading what it needs.  Again we do both steps on every
> client.
>
> In the future what I would like to do is install the upgrade on one client
> then log in as administrator and let the client update itself accordingly.
> Next I would like to copy all the files off that client to all the other
> clients and not actually have to log in as an admistrator at each client.
>
> As I think about this any configuration that is accomplished by the
> administrator log in is done in one of two places. 1 the DB and 2 the local
> file system.  Second any configuration done in the DB only needs to be done
> once and any thing done on the local filesystem I should be able to copy
> from one sysstem to the other.  The problems would come in if there are new
> registry settings or something like that.
>
> Again thanks for all the help so far.  I am kind-of a newbie to Great Plains
> in general.
>
> Thanks,
> Allen
>

> "James" <hushdontspamme@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > As mentioned in my last email ( your previous post) you need to find out
> > if the GP users using the same mod Forms and Reports.dic files, VBA etc...
> > if not,  this will complicate the upgrade roll out.  Reply to this post if
> > users are or are not using the same mod forms and reports.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > James
> >
> > "Charles Allen" <callen@bkd.com> wrote in message
> >> You are correct that each workstation must be updated separately.
> >>
> >> I'm not positive that Administrator access is required, unless the
> >> third-party applications require it.
> >>
> >> If the workstations have the same products installed, you should be able
> >> to copy the contents of one workstation to another. However, you will
> >> have to update the workstation id if you are using Named Printers.
> >>
> >> "Allen" <atuggle@pulaskifurniture.com> wrote in message

0
Mario (61)

Great Plains and RMS
I've upgraded our RMS systems to service pack 3. We now have the option of selecting the GP accounting option. It looks like we have to download an add-on for Great Plains.. Is this true ? The one out there only says for import to GP 7.5 We are currently running GP 8.0. Will it work for this version? Do I even need this add-on, now that you can select the GP accounting option? Scot, KB 893330 discusses integration with GP 8.0, but the links are broken for the download. If my memory is correct, there was talk about a 10/01/05 release date. -- * "Scot S" <ScotS@discussio...

Two Questions: Location of DL's & Isolation of Certain Users
Thought I'd thrw these out on the forums, see what you all think. Is there a best practices regarding the location of Universal Distribution Groups in an enterprise environment. I would think that placing any group with a universal scope in the forest root would be the best practice, but a company I'm working with has an empty forest rootand they want to keep it that way. I would like to think that if they have close access to any global catalog server in whatever domain they place the UDG ought to satisfy their needs. Also, same company has an issue I personally haven't de...

What is this great plains?
The website is down and i want to install CRM but find everywhere links to greatplains. Is the essential, just an add-on......? ...

plain text #6
Does some one now if there is an option in Outlook XP to read messages by default in plain text? In Outlook express there is such an option but I can not find it in Microsoft Outlook. Thank you There is an add-in that allows this - http://www.slovaktech.com/attachmentoptions.html --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Jacob asked: | Does some one now if th...

MSN Bill Pay Upgrade
After the Bill Pay Upgrade, when I sync'd, the account which WAS associated to MSN Bill Pay PRIOR to the upgrade is NO LONGER my payment account. My checking account bank does not offer online services, so shouldn't I still be able to associate the same account to my bill pay service after the upgrade? I've tried to "manually merge" my checking with the newly created payment account, but receive an error that the file is "corrupt" upon trying to import the file I exported for the checking account. Will I really need 2 accounts to make this work? I've ...

great
This is a great newsgroup glad I found it. hope to learn a lot here and natrally also to contribute. There are more things in heven and earth tan we know http://spiritualnowbusiness.blogspot.com/ --- MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20070608110655W6g5FqZ2 ---- Posted via Pronews.com - Premium Corporate Usenet News Provider ---- http://www.pronews.com offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups ...

Printer Hardware question?
I have a differnt printer at each pos register. One is a epson tmu220 and the other is star sp512 on both of these i have it so it doesnt print each transaction. But if I do tht it doesnt print it says that it cant find the opos driver. If i have it print only after it ask the transaction it works fine. At one point it was working with it like that but now it isnt. Does anyone have any ideas of how I get it back todo that again? ...

No companies listed after upgrading Dynamics's db
Version 7.5 - 8 upgrade. Upgraded Dynamics' db fine, but click next and no companies are listed. Gone through TK searches for days and cannot find any solution. The DB_Upgrade table shows every company as 7.5 and Dynamics as 8.0. This used to be a very common problem in upgrades, yet there are no TKs anymore. ...

Basic questions
Hello, I have never seen or used Windows Server and I have a few basic questions before switching Windows XP Pro into WS 2008 R2. Will I be able to install and use other softwares normally as if I was using Windows XP? I have other servers I would like to use with it and I need to know in advance if they will be 100% compatible: Oracle XE 10g MySQL (latest version) Apache 2.2 FileZilla server Windows Media Player 12 sharing Ultra VNC So, please let me know if the above software would be OK and besides that, I would have to test some programs I develop by myself, so I ne...

Upgrading Outlook problem
Hello Everyone, When I upgrade Outlook 2000 from 97, in some instances I go to add service from the tool menu and the service option is not there. Accounts appears, but Service does not. Any ideas? thank you for any help. Maritza. Thank you this was it! Maritza. >-----Original Message----- >Hi Maritza, > >Outlook 2000 can be configured in two completely different modes, "Corporate or Workgroup" and "Internet Mail Only." If you open Outlook, then click on >Help > About, you should see that your machine is installed in "Internet Mail Only&q...

eConnect Upgrade 9.0 APLYWITH not there
Hi, I'm upgrading from eConnect 7.0.4.1 to 9.0 I'm looking for complete (or scattered) documentation for nodes that have been added or removed. For example, in 7.0 taSopHdrIvcInsert class these nodes exist but not in 9.0 APLYWITH WITHHAMT SALEDATE NONINVEN Any help is greatly appreciated Thank you, Marta Marta: They list there changes in the CHM files - I looked at the 8.0 CHM file installed with eConnect and they list this: Removed the following elements from the <taSopHdrIvcInsert> node. Node <taSopHdrIvcInsert> Elements removed ADVPMNTS dt:dt="number&qu...

Great Plains
Hello, I have a report made in Crystal for purchase orders. I want to open this report when I click on print button from "Purchase Order Entry" window. Any help is welcome. Radu. The easiest thing would be to purchase one of the third-party modules that are available. One tool is from Accountable Software called Forms Printer. Another tool is Crystallizer. I cannot remember who makes it, though. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Radu LP" wrote: > Hello, > I have a report made in Crystal for purchase orders. I want to open this > report when I click on print butto...

A question on sending mails
THis might perhaps be a bit too preliminary forum - but still all suggestions are welcome. I have 4 different accounts configured in my outlook- one specially for friends, one for family, business and so on. I have one particular account set to preferred account while sending. But it so happens, that I forget to keep changing the account names- while sending mails as a result, all my contact (personal and business) keep getting mails from other accounts. I agree that this is purely a question of discipline but still.. �s there a way I can ask outlook (macro?) to check with me before se...

Upgrade from Word 2001 to Office 2001?
Too late? I use 2001 versions of Word and Excel on my iMac with OS 9.2. When installed, they created Microsoft Office 2001 folders--but without the additional software like PowerPoint (Outlook or Entourage). PowerPoint would be real handy now. Is there still a way I can upgrade to Office for it? Or, even use updater downloads...? Please advise if anyone knows. Thanks, Josef JosefVenice@verizon.net PS Please reply direct to email. Hi Josef Because you are using OS9.2, you cannot upgrade to Office X, or Office 2004, but you can use Word 2001, or Excel 2001 to upgrade to the full version...

Implemeting Portals in Great Plains?
Hi All, What are the requierments to implement Portals for Great Plains for other branchs to be able to access it online through the internet? Does Microsoft provide a While Papers for Portals Deployements Guide ? Thanks, Habibalby There are a few white papers concerning Business Portal, a Sharepoint-based portal. You may want to log into CustomerSource and review them. "MS GPS" <habibalby@gmail.com> wrote in message news:eM4O6bTxFHA.3856@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > > What are the requierments to implement Portals for Great Plains for other > br...

Publisher question
Can I change a Publisher file to a .jpg or .tif format? How? sally <sally@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Can I change a Publisher file to a .jpg or .tif format? How? Publisher 2002 and 2003 you can go to File > Save As and select TIFF or JPEG format. Publisher 2000 or earlier you will need a third-party app like FinePrint (www.fineprint.com) or SnagIt (www.techsmith.com) -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher "Ed Bennett" wrote: > sally <sally@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to > utter: > &...

OWA 2003 after upgrade
Hi Wonder if someone can help please? I've recently in-place upgraded our Exchange 2000 standard installation to Exchange 2003 SP2. This resides on a Windows 2000 SP4 standard server. No problems with the upgrade. Everything working fine and dandy. I can access OWA fine, however, it will only display the basic interface and not the premium interface (i.e. no reading pane etc.). This is for both http and https access. I've tried this from various clients inside and outside the LAN and all using web clients IE6 or above. I performed a similar upgrade in a lab environment first a...

Diff Sales Tax Question
We're about to open a new store in a different location in our state (Florida). Store one charges 7.00% sales tax; Store two will charge 6.00% sales tax. I ran a worksheet 320 for Store Two to change the sales tax on their items. My FIRST question is: Shouldn't the items in the ItemDynamic table for Store Two reflect the TaxId after the 320 and a 401 was run? My Second question is: Each time I add a new item at HQ am I going to have to run a 320 for Store ONE and another 320 for Store TWO to update the reflect the correct sales tax at the stores? ...

MS Great Plains
We have Great Plains (PersonnelOracle Version 2002.03.15 3.0.6. and PowerTool 2002.03.19. 3.1.1.) installed. Previously we have used Office 2000 and the Word merge was working perfectly. Upgrading to 2002 or 2003 the Word merge stopped working, I suppose we need new templates for Word 2003 (.dot files). Who shall we contact with? Any suggestion would be appreciated! Where do Oracle and PowerTool come into the equation? Are you trying to use Word with Microsoft Great Plains? How were you doing it with Word 2000? "Zoltan Bacs" <Zoltan Bacs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

smtp display question
Hi all - Using Exchange 5.5 sp4 and Outlook 2003 - in a NT 4 domain. Let's say i have a user with the primary smtp address of jack@company.com and internal display name of smith, jack - and I've added an additional smtp addresses to his account - jill@company.com. He opens up outlook and all inbox mail shows his internal display name as the "TO:". Is there anyway to show which of his differing smtp address it was originally sent to without going into the mail headers - hopefully, I'm just missing the config. Thanks much. In news:e%235dAAAkGHA.1320@TK2MSF...

Faxing via desktop from Great Plains (customer invoices,etc.)
We have the need to fax from our desktops. We are on Great Plains 8.0. Examples are customer invoices. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=3238cba3-0f91-47c1-...

You guys are great!
This is a great group! I know sometimes it is frustrating because we (novices ) fail to give you all of the facts, but the bottom line is that I ALWAYS get the answer to my questions!! THANKS! Ron H. ----------------- www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road ----------------- I've learned more through the years from hanging out in this group than any other source. I try to answer questions as often as I can, but I learn way more than I teach. I think that is part of the nature of participation. Tom &quo...

Some basic questions about XML

How to upgrade to 2004?
I have Money 2003. Am interested in upgrading to 2004. I don't see anywhere on the Money site to upgrade (as opposed to buying outright) 2004. Is that possible? Where do I go? >Subject: How to upgrade to 2004? >From: "leenman" anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com >Date: 7/30/2004 6:57 PM Eastern Standard Time >Message-id: <78eb01c47691$09497100$a301280a@phx.gbl> > >I have Money 2003. Am interested in upgrading to 2004. I >don't see anywhere on the Money site to upgrade (as >opposed to buying outright) 2004. Is that possible? Where >do I...

Calendar Invites Arrive as Plain Text
Mixed-Mode Environment: Exchange Server 2003 SP1 Clustered Active/Passive Windows Server 2003 SP1 Clustered Avtive/Passive Exchange Server 2003 SP1 Non-clustered/Standard Windows Server 2003 SP1 Non-Clustered/Standard Exchange 5.5 SP 4 Clustered Active/Passive Windows NT 4.0 SP6a Clustered Active/Passive Exchange 5.5 SP 4 Non-Clustered/Standard Windows NT 4.0 SP6a Non-Clustered/Standard We have identified that any calendar invite request, when sent outside of the Exchange Server Environment arrives at it's destination as plain text instead of the standard invite format in Outlook. ...