Great Plains has no data integrity , PLS do not sell it

we get a many problems with Great Plains , no data integrity in program ,
also there are many dupliacate in transactions , it is very slow , they are
saying it can use by 1000 users and 2M transaction , and it is no correacr
word , if use just 5% you will get hang in system.

i think it vere bad to microsoft to have this progra

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=0f768e6a-73bb-4c65-8d2a-f536f7d55e8a&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
Naser (2)

Naser,

Obviously you're having problems but frankly, it's not the
application. Too many folks, myself included, make it through Sarbanes-
Oxley requirements, IRS audits and all kinds of other audits. If data
integrity were as bad you're experiencing none of us would survive.

At a minimum it sounds like you have severe hardware and possibly
network problems. Speed is a function of hardware. Data integrity and
duplication may very well be network related. Look really hard at
those things first. Then look at your implementation and how people
are using the system.

I realize you're probably feeling a lot of pain but your basic premise
that GP has no data integrity is incorrect.

Mark

On Dec 4, 8:49 am, Naser <Na...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> we get a many problems with Great Plains , no data integrity in program ,
> also there are many dupliacate in transactions , it is very slow , they are
> saying it can use by 1000 users and 2M transaction , and it is no correacr
> word , if use just 5% you will get hang in system.
>
> i think it vere bad to microsoft to have this progra
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbro...

0
mpolino (496)
12/4/2007 3:52:11 PM
None of our customers are having these issues.  Perhaps you need to work
with your re-seller to identify the causes.

You will need to look at your hardware and networking re: the speed issues.
Memory is a big bottleneck so make sure you have lots of it.

The system hanging does sound like an issue to do with insufficient memory
on the server or workstations.

Where are the duplicate entries occurring?

Did your reseller assist with the installation and implementation?

"Naser" <Naser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> we get a many problems with Great Plains , no data integrity in program ,
> also there are many dupliacate in transactions , it is very slow , they
are
> saying it can use by 1000 users and 2M transaction , and it is no correacr
> word , if use just 5% you will get hang in system.
>
> i think it vere bad to microsoft to have this progra
>
> ----------------
this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=0f768e6a-73bb-4c65-8d2a-f536f7d55e8a&dg=microsoft.publi
c.greatplains

0
news_jamrock (304)
12/4/2007 3:59:20 PM
Just to add to what Mark and Jamrock have said, if GP had serious
integrity and speed problems, there wouldn't be 25-30,000 installs
worldwide over the last 20 years.

It sounds like you need to have your Value Added Reseller (VAR)
analyze your hardware environment and system setup.  If they can't do
it, find one that can.

Good luck,

Frank Hamelly
MCP-GP, MCT
East Coast Dynamics
www.eastcoast-dynamics.com

0
fhamelly (399)
12/4/2007 5:01:21 PM
Dear Naser,

The implementation of any ERP system in the word makes the difference! Most
of Great Plains customers are satisfied with what they have! The thing which
make the difference is the experience in this field, please specify what the
issues you have in Great Plains and I am sure I will fix it all and satisfy
your requirements.

Regards,

Mohammad Daoud | Technical Development Manager |  Mobile +962 79 999 65 85
Tel. +962 6 554 3721 | daoudm@greatpbs.com
http://www.greatpbs.com| http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=18895609248/

"Jamrock" wrote:

> None of our customers are having these issues.  Perhaps you need to work
> with your re-seller to identify the causes.
>
> You will need to look at your hardware and networking re: the speed issues.
> Memory is a big bottleneck so make sure you have lots of it.
>
> The system hanging does sound like an issue to do with insufficient memory
> on the server or workstations.
>
> Where are the duplicate entries occurring?
>
> Did your reseller assist with the installation and implementation?
>

> "Naser" <Naser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > we get a many problems with Great Plains , no data integrity in program ,
> > also there are many dupliacate in transactions , it is very slow , they
> are
> > saying it can use by 1000 users and 2M transaction , and it is no correacr
> > word , if use just 5% you will get hang in system.
> >
> > i think it vere bad to microsoft to have this progra
> >
> > ----------------
> this
> >

> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=0f768e6a-73bb-4c65-8d2a-f536f7d55e8a&dg=microsoft.publi
> c.greatplains

I would have to agree with Mark's, Jamrock's and Frank's comments regarding
Great Plains.  I recommend you review the system requirements to ensure your
environment is capable of utilizing Great Plains.

Great Plains 9.0 Systems Requirements
https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/documentation/systemrequirements/compatibility_gp9.0_hardware.htm?printpage=false

Great Plains 10.0 Systems Requirements
https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/documentation/systemrequirements/system_requirements_gp10.htm?printpage=false

Hope this helps, rc

"Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP" wrote:

> Just to add to what Mark and Jamrock have said, if GP had serious
> integrity and speed problems, there wouldn't be 25-30,000 installs
> worldwide over the last 20 years.
>
> It sounds like you need to have your Value Added Reseller (VAR)
> analyze your hardware environment and system setup.  If they can't do
> it, find one that can.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Frank Hamelly
> MCP-GP, MCT
> East Coast Dynamics
> www.eastcoast-dynamics.com

0
RC (240)
12/4/2007 6:29:03 PM
I can pile on.

We run GP with users on 3 continents, 24x7 uptime, 150GB company
database, with 100+ users.  We are on version 9, planning to upgrade
to 10 this summer, and don't foresee changing ERP systems even as we
approach $1B in revenue.  We are a consumer products manufacturer and
distributor with direct sales and warehousing on 3 continents.

Don't be hate'n on GP.  Each GP installation is a living thing.  The
resources you engage to implement, enhance, and administer the
application over the life of the software make or break the value you
derive from it.  The same goes for any ERP application out there.
0
michaelj2 (180)
12/4/2007 10:38:44 PM
Hey, hey, let's be honest here...

....any system that comes standard with Check Links and Reconcile routines
is, by definition, expecting data integrity issues to occur. :-)

Admittedly, GP works 99.99% of the time, but when it doesn't (for whatever
reason), you can end up with corrupt data files - sometimes they can be
easily fixed and sometimes they can't. You can argue all day long why the
errors occurred (program bugs, telecommunications issues, user error,
whatever), but the bottom line is corruption CAN occur - maybe not often, but
it does.

My biggest beef with the system is that it doesn't seem to use commits on
the transactions. In this day and age, with SQL databases on a
mission-critical system, in my opinion there's no excuse for not using
commits on logical units of work to ensure the data integrity. If I'm wrong
about this, someone please tell me.

Naser may have exaggerated the extent of his problems and would benefit from
a review of his environment, but let's not mislead people and imply that it's
totally their fault if they're having issues with data corruption.

The above was not meant to flame anyone - just to provide a bit of sympathy
with someone who is obviously dealing with some frustrating issues.

--
Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO

"Naser" wrote:

> we get a many problems with Great Plains , no data integrity in program ,
> also there are many dupliacate in transactions , it is very slow , they are
> saying it can use by 1000 users and 2M transaction , and it is no correacr
> word , if use just 5% you will get hang in system.
>
> i think it vere bad to microsoft to have this progra
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=0f768e6a-73bb-4c65-8d2a-f536f7d55e8a&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
Bud (544)
12/5/2007 3:19:01 PM
Noted.  I think everyone will agree GP is not perfect.  Not even
close.  I have my own beefs with it too.

You also can't assume it doesn't use commits on transactions.  I would
argue with you on that.  GP typically does a good job of rolling back
transactions when there are connectivity problems.  If it didn't use
commits, or something comparable, then that wouldn't be possible.

But, that is a far cry from " Great Plains has no data integrity , PLS
do not sell it".
0
michaelj2 (180)
12/5/2007 7:16:40 PM
Yeah, I agree Naser was overreacting...but I know how frustrating it can be
when your users ask why they have a transaction that got messed up and you
don't have a good explanation for it.

As far as the commit processing goes, I'm really skeptical that it's
prevalent throughout the system. I know G/L posting tends to recover pretty
well, but other things don't. I could list several examples of things that
have happened in our system to support my hypothesis, but here's one that
just happened today: A user posting a sales batch this morning got a message
that the glpBatchCleanup stored procedure had a problem (why-who knows?).
Upon further inspection, I discovered that the data had, in fact, been posted
to the SOP30200 and SOP30300 tables, but part (not all) of the original batch
data still existed in the SY00500, SOP10100, and SOP10200 tables. So, the
system experienced an error of some sort and left data floating around that
should have been deleted. If that's not crying out for some sort of commit
validation, I don't know what is. The only way to fix this was to use SQL to
delete the orphaned records from the tables. My point is - with the proper
use of commit events, this should never have happened, no matter what caused
it in the first place.

--

"MichaelJ" wrote:

> Noted.  I think everyone will agree GP is not perfect.  Not even
> close.  I have my own beefs with it too.
>
> You also can't assume it doesn't use commits on transactions.  I would
> argue with you on that.  GP typically does a good job of rolling back
> transactions when there are connectivity problems.  If it didn't use
> commits, or something comparable, then that wouldn't be possible.
>
> But, that is a far cry from " Great Plains has no data integrity , PLS
> do not sell it".

0
Bud (544)
12/5/2007 7:35:01 PM
Hi Bud,

How often do you do database maintenance?  Do you run checklinks on a
regular basis as preventative maintenance?

"Bud" <Bud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yeah, I agree Naser was overreacting...but I know how frustrating it can
> be
> when your users ask why they have a transaction that got messed up and you
> don't have a good explanation for it.
>
> As far as the commit processing goes, I'm really skeptical that it's
> prevalent throughout the system. I know G/L posting tends to recover
> pretty
> well, but other things don't. I could list several examples of things that
> have happened in our system to support my hypothesis, but here's one that
> just happened today: A user posting a sales batch this morning got a
> message
> that the glpBatchCleanup stored procedure had a problem (why-who knows?).
> Upon further inspection, I discovered that the data had, in fact, been
> posted
> to the SOP30200 and SOP30300 tables, but part (not all) of the original
> batch
> data still existed in the SY00500, SOP10100, and SOP10200 tables. So, the
> system experienced an error of some sort and left data floating around
> that
> should have been deleted. If that's not crying out for some sort of commit
> validation, I don't know what is. The only way to fix this was to use SQL
> delete the orphaned records from the tables. My point is - with the proper
> use of commit events, this should never have happened, no matter what
> caused
> it in the first place.
>

> --
> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
> GP 9.0, SP2
>

> "MichaelJ" wrote:
>
>> Noted.  I think everyone will agree GP is not perfect.  Not even
>> close.  I have my own beefs with it too.
>>
>> You also can't assume it doesn't use commits on transactions.  I would
>> argue with you on that.  GP typically does a good job of rolling back
>> transactions when there are connectivity problems.  If it didn't use
>> commits, or something comparable, then that wouldn't be possible.
>>
>> But, that is a far cry from " Great Plains has no data integrity , PLS
>> do not sell it".

0
news_jamrock (304)
12/5/2007 10:25:37 PM
Bud,

No flame detected when I read your post. Are there potential problems
with GP? Yep. It wasn't handed down by God or space aliens. But I've
worked in everything from a Quickbooks environment to an Oracle
Financials environment and everything has issues. In a QB environment
everything is so hidden, if the program screws up you may be
completely hosed. On the Oracle side, I've never seen the old Great
Plains or Microsoft actively try to hire good administrators or
developers from their clients. I've seen it twice with Oracle and
several others I know have had the same experience.

I've also seen what a GP upgrade looks like compared to an SAP
upgrade. (Thank God I was on the GP side.)

The point is, I don't believe that GP works even 99.99% of the time
but I'm ok with that. I can't afford triple redundant systems voting
on whether my AP entry is being applied correctly (a la the space
shuttle). It is not, however, the complete dog that Naser implies that
it is. If he's anywhere close in his description of his issues, it's
an environment problem.

He got the reaction he did because of the content of the post. I've
felt his pain but a little niceness goes a lot farther in the
newsgroup. An awful lot of folks here owe at least part of their
paycheck to GP and taking a whack at that won't win you any friends.

Mark

On Dec 5, 10:19 am, Bud <B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hey, hey, let's be honest here...
>
> ...any system that comes standard with Check Links and Reconcile routines
> is, by definition, expecting data integrity issues to occur. :-)
>
> Admittedly, GP works 99.99% of the time, but when it doesn't (for whatever
> reason), you can end up with corrupt data files - sometimes they can be
> easily fixed and sometimes they can't. You can argue all day long why the
> errors occurred (program bugs, telecommunications issues, user error,
> whatever), but the bottom line is corruption CAN occur - maybe not often, but
> it does.
>
> My biggest beef with the system is that it doesn't seem to use commits on
> the transactions. In this day and age, with SQL databases on a
> mission-critical system, in my opinion there's no excuse for not using
> commits on logical units of work to ensure the data integrity. If I'm wrong
> about this, someone please tell me.
>
> Naser may have exaggerated the extent of his problems and would benefit from
> a review of his environment, but let's not mislead people and imply that it's
> totally their fault if they're having issues with data corruption.
>
> The above was not meant to flame anyone - just to provide a bit of sympathy
> with someone who is obviously dealing with some frustrating issues.
>
> --
> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
> GP 9.0, SP2"Naser" wrote:
> > we get a many problems with Great Plains , no data integrity in program ,
> > also there are many dupliacate in transactions , it is very slow , they are
> > saying it can use by 1000 users and 2M transaction , and it is no correacr
> > word , if use just 5% you will get hang in system.
>
> > i think it vere bad to microsoft to have this progra
>
> > ----------------
>
> >http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbro...

0
mpolino (496)
12/6/2007 12:49:36 AM
While I can't say on the 3rd party apps like Field Service, PA, etc, I know
the whole core GP application does use transactional posting with transacton
start/commit/rollback when posting all of the transaction types.  However it
doesn't do beginning to end transaction and instead does it bit by bit to
avoid locking down the entire system for everyone when posting your 10,000
line sop transaction.  So for sop posting for instance, we'll maybe set a
transaction, update the customer records and data, then commit/rollback.
Then assuming we're ok then do something else, commit/rollback and again and
again.  That's why batch recovery picks up where it left off.

Your post has me a little puzzled because I was thinking that the gl posting
only happens after the sop trx stuff is cleaned up already.  So I'm a bit
surpised you'd have this issue.  I won't proclaim a photographic memory and
am not digging through source code to prove I'm right/wrong so it sure is
possible that isn't the case especially based on your event below.

patrick
developer support

"Bud" <Bud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yeah, I agree Naser was overreacting...but I know how frustrating it can
> be
> when your users ask why they have a transaction that got messed up and you
> don't have a good explanation for it.
>
> As far as the commit processing goes, I'm really skeptical that it's
> prevalent throughout the system. I know G/L posting tends to recover
> pretty
> well, but other things don't. I could list several examples of things that
> have happened in our system to support my hypothesis, but here's one that
> just happened today: A user posting a sales batch this morning got a
> message
> that the glpBatchCleanup stored procedure had a problem (why-who knows?).
> Upon further inspection, I discovered that the data had, in fact, been
> posted
> to the SOP30200 and SOP30300 tables, but part (not all) of the original
> batch
> data still existed in the SY00500, SOP10100, and SOP10200 tables. So, the
> system experienced an error of some sort and left data floating around
> that
> should have been deleted. If that's not crying out for some sort of commit
> validation, I don't know what is. The only way to fix this was to use SQL
> delete the orphaned records from the tables. My point is - with the proper
> use of commit events, this should never have happened, no matter what
> caused
> it in the first place.
>

> --
> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
> GP 9.0, SP2
>

> "MichaelJ" wrote:
>
>> Noted.  I think everyone will agree GP is not perfect.  Not even
>> close.  I have my own beefs with it too.
>>
>> You also can't assume it doesn't use commits on transactions.  I would
>> argue with you on that.  GP typically does a good job of rolling back
>> transactions when there are connectivity problems.  If it didn't use
>> commits, or something comparable, then that wouldn't be possible.
>>
>> But, that is a far cry from " Great Plains has no data integrity , PLS
>> do not sell it".

0
prot1 (1345)
12/6/2007 4:10:20 AM
For what it's worth, I have seen what Bud mentioned a few times.  Something
goes wrong during posting and the transaction ends up in both the posted and
unposted tables.  Without knowing the details of exactly what order
everything is done in during posting, it 'feels' like the removal of the
transactions from the work tables is the last step and if that's where the
interruption occurs, that final 'clean up' is not done.  The posted
transactions and the related GL transactions have been absolutely fine in
every instance of this that I have seen.  The 2 modules I know I have seen
this in are SOP and PM.  Possibly POP, but I am not certain about that.
I've seen this at different clients and different versions of GP, although
it seems that it happens less frequently in the newer versions.  Typically
neither Check Links nor Reconcile fixes this and the duplicate records have
to be removed from the work tables manually in SQL.  There is always an
error in the user interface related to this.  In payables, when you go to
Payables Transaction Inquiry - Vendor and bring up one of the vendors in the
batch, you get a duplicate key error.  In SOP, trying to look up one of the
transactions this happened to gives an error.

The only other thing I can say is that I have only seen this happen when
there is either a system or application crash or a network interruption.  In
other words, it does not happen if GP is running smoothly, and there will
always be something to indicate an issue.  What I have found is that many
users when presented with an error message or a crash, simply click OK, or
restart without ever letting anyone know.  This is completely
understandable - they're busy, they don't want to seem like pests, they
don't want to wait for hours with their system unavailable while someone
investigates the issue.  So users have to be asked and taught to report any
and all errors or issues.  And when they do, they need to be treated not
like they are 'bothering' anyone, but like they are providing valuable
input.  That's the only way you're going to find out what's really going on.
Any and every error message in GP will mean something.  When it's running
smoothly, there should be very few, if any, errors or crashes.

And at the end of the day....I believe GP is a fantastic product.  It may
not be perfect, but I don't really think there is such a thing as perfect
for this kind of application.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"Patrick [MSFT]" <prot@online.microsft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> proper
>> use of commit events, this should never have happened, no matter what
>> caused
>> it in the first place.
>>

>> --
>> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
>> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
>> GP 9.0, SP2
>>

>> "MichaelJ" wrote:
>>
>>> Noted.  I think everyone will agree GP is not perfect.  Not even
>>> close.  I have my own beefs with it too.
>>>
>>> You also can't assume it doesn't use commits on transactions.  I would
>>> argue with you on that.  GP typically does a good job of rolling back
>>> transactions when there are connectivity problems.  If it didn't use
>>> commits, or something comparable, then that wouldn't be possible.
>>>
>>> But, that is a far cry from " Great Plains has no data integrity , PLS

0
victoria (3340)
12/6/2007 1:18:13 PM
Hey Bud

Just some comments.   Be glad you weren't here for the Btrieve days.   I
have seen rollback issues like you had but I believe the latest versions are
much better.   I think the reason the commits don't totally work is that GP
is a Dex product that does a great deal in the Temp tables.   I think SQL has
a difficult time with this as it is not a pure transaction.

Also what your reporting guys and don't let them Insert Into tables and
other fun stuff like that.

Jim Hummer
Senior Consultant
XL Reporter

"Bud" wrote:

> Yeah, I agree Naser was overreacting...but I know how frustrating it can be
> when your users ask why they have a transaction that got messed up and you
> don't have a good explanation for it.
>
> As far as the commit processing goes, I'm really skeptical that it's
> prevalent throughout the system. I know G/L posting tends to recover pretty
> well, but other things don't. I could list several examples of things that
> have happened in our system to support my hypothesis, but here's one that
> just happened today: A user posting a sales batch this morning got a message
> that the glpBatchCleanup stored procedure had a problem (why-who knows?).
> Upon further inspection, I discovered that the data had, in fact, been posted
> to the SOP30200 and SOP30300 tables, but part (not all) of the original batch
> data still existed in the SY00500, SOP10100, and SOP10200 tables. So, the
> system experienced an error of some sort and left data floating around that
> should have been deleted. If that's not crying out for some sort of commit
> validation, I don't know what is. The only way to fix this was to use SQL to
> delete the orphaned records from the tables. My point is - with the proper
> use of commit events, this should never have happened, no matter what caused
> it in the first place.
>

> --
> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
> GP 9.0, SP2
>

> "MichaelJ" wrote:
>
> > Noted.  I think everyone will agree GP is not perfect.  Not even
> > close.  I have my own beefs with it too.
> >
> > You also can't assume it doesn't use commits on transactions.  I would
> > argue with you on that.  GP typically does a good job of rolling back
> > transactions when there are connectivity problems.  If it didn't use
> > commits, or something comparable, then that wouldn't be possible.
> >
> > But, that is a far cry from " Great Plains has no data integrity , PLS
> > do not sell it".

0
JimHummer (81)

Lock data
I have set a lock on the On Current property for my form Me.Form.AllowEdits = true ' check for approved If Me.approved > 0 Then Me.Form.AllowEdits = False End If Unfortunately there is a combo, select record box on the form so I cant then move to another record as this is locked too. There are too many fields to lock them individually rather than the entire form. Any suggestions please. On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 06:46:01 -0700, judith <judith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: You can loop over the Controls collection and not lock...

Merging forms from data file to main file
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel There seems to be a bug when mail merging forms from a data file into the main file. Text entered into a text form field on a locked data file does not merge into the main file. The only text that will merge from the text form field is the default text that may be entered when configuring the text form field. <br><br>If anyone knows how to resolve this, I would be forever thankful. Otherwise... How can I report the bug? I sent feedback, but is there a specific way to report a bug? I have the latest update...

Data Area of Pivot Table and Pivot Charts
I have a Pivot Table and Chart that has a max. of 16 fields in the Data area that could be charted. If I deselect a field in the Data drop down box on the pivot chart or pivot table the field is completely removed and is no longer available to be selected later. How can I keep these fields available to be selected so I can chart different combinations of the 16 data fields on the chart? I am using Excel 2000. Missy -- I'm using Excel 2003 so don't know if this will work in 2000, but try it. Rather than deselecting something from the PivotTable, just click-and-drag it back ...

Opening a window with VBA/storing data in a separate table
Hi all, First Question---- I have a third party application (Additional Inventory Fields in the ActNow series from Hawk Mountain) that currently is accessed from the Extra menu while in item maintenance. I have added a button to the item maintenance form and I am trying to figure our what VBA code I need to put in so that when the user clicks on the button that it launches the form that is currently accessed via the menu. This is not currently a VBA form but the window that comes with the application. I have tried to put an "OnUserChanged" event on the button with a FormName.Open...

MS Project Integration
Has anyone seen MS CRM linked to MS project. The idea being to automatically creat a project with an opportunity (use of project template...) Regards Antoine ...

Data Migration Question???
Hi We have been using MSCRM for over a year now. Recently there has surfaced a need to import a large number of Account records to the existing database. However, I have read that the Data Migration Framework cannot be used for merges and is for a one off migration. Does this mean I cannot add records to CRM using the DMF if I have data in the database? Or is it just a case of not being able to add records that relate to existing data? Could anyone shed some light on this matter? Thanks in advance You can certainly use DMF to import more data into an existing MSCRM database. You cann...

Automated Data Backup for customer on SQL 2005 Express
I have a customer running SQL 2005 Express, and so they don't have access to maintenance plans. Their backups are through the SBS edition of Veritas BExec which offers SQL backups. This is all a little scary as this is their most critical application. They want me to take a copy of this database on a daily basis and move it to an offsite DR server. I would have done this with a maintenance plan and then just FTP'd the file offsite - but they only have the freebee Express edition. What are my/their options - shutdown the services and copy the file? Do the backup manually ...

how can I start a new line when entering data into a word wrapped.
I'm wondering whether it is possible to enter a return character in a cell which is word-wrapped please? Thanks Steve alt+enter "spozzie" wrote: > I'm wondering whether it is possible to enter a return character in a cell > which is word-wrapped please? > > Thanks > > Steve btw - alt+enter will turn word wrap on for the cell in which it's used. It will not necessary to set word wrap first. "spozzie" wrote: > I'm wondering whether it is possible to enter a return character in a cell > which is word-wrapped please? > ...

Re: Data Summary
Can we do the summary by defining a macro? The difficulty with the suggested solution : 1.I am not able to advance filter the unique data to a separate sheet. 2.Every day the data gets changed, so have to repeat the exercise daily and is very time consuming. Regards, Jimmy Joseph Subject: Re: Data Summary From: "Ardus Petus" <ardus.petus@laposte.net> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel In summary sheet, you can get the totals with a formula like: =SUMIF(Products!$C$2:$C$7,A2,Products!$A$2:$A$7) See example: http://cjoint.com/?fmkJhzVi8q To automate the production of ...

Need to extract data mid-string.
Here's what I have: \\lavaur4\PHIWEBEurope\SWAN_Swissco\Default.htm: 754And here's what I'm trying to get back: Swissco\Default.htmThe number of characters from the left will always be the same, 28. And thestring will always be trimmed after the ":" (colon). I'm struggling with how to use mid, left, right to get out what I need. Thanks in advance!Kellie-- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:19:27 GMT, KFox via AccessMonster.com wrote:> Here's what I have: \\lavaur4\PHIWEBEurope\SWAN_Swissco\Default.htm: 754> And here&...

Data Labels Widths
Can the width of a data label for a MS Chart (in my case a pie graph) be widened. There appears to be no property for this. I have downloaded some utilities but these are for simply creating label with bespoke text and do not allow me to adjust the width... help!!! Many thanks... Mike - The maximum width of a data label seems to be proportional to the width of the chart object. You can make the chart wider to fit a longer label. Most of a chart's text elements do not allow you to control their dimensions. You can add textboxes, however, that allow you to adjust their size. The...

Repairier's duty of care re data.
One for the the repair-shop guys... I don't as a rule do home PCs, but right now I've got an awkward customer who insists that I give him a written quote to repair his computer before he will discuss any options. The computer has some quite severe disk corruption, and as it stands this could be software-related, or it could be a failing disk. Or maybe, but less likely, the mobo. Since it has over 50GB of data on it (mostly looking like pirated junk) I've pointed-out that I need to format the disk for a full read/write test before I can determine if the disk ne...

If possible edit the data from query ?
Dear all, I use Access 2003, i join 2 tables and impossible to change the data from the table query. Please It is possible Edit the data from the table query ? Thanks so much for your reply. Tran1728 It is possible to edit records in a query consisting of one or more tables. The tables should be joined on the primary and foreign key fields. The query can't be a Totals or Crosstab query. If you have a query that you can't edit records, consider providing the SQL as well as the table relationships and key fields. Duane Hookom MS Access MVP "tran1728&quo...

How to keep column headings from being sorted with data?
I occasionally have to re-sort my Excel file data by a different column and then back to Last name. Every time, my headings sort with the other data and it's a hassel getting the row back at the frozen top. Is there a setting to keep the top row from sorting with the rest? Yes. In the Sort dialog, there is a choice: My data range has Header row/No header row -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "oldockbunny" <oldockbunny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C69D99A8-581F-43AD-82ED-B879D1128E00@microsoft.com... |I occasionally have to re-sor...

Best data type to use in a document to handle a CListCtrl?
I am using a CListCtrl on a CFormView and I want to know what is the best way, or data type, to use in the doc class to represent the data,(or rows and columns) of the CListCtrl. Thanks a bunch. CLEAVEAGE It is very much application dependent -- but here is a technique that i use from time to time: Assume a bunch of data that exists in a database that i would like to visualize - and i have chosen the list-view control. In the CDoc class I would make the connection to the database (using either ADO or more likely OCI if the database is Oracle hosted). Somewhere in the CDoc class I would...

HQ Data log file
I am getting a message that the log file is full when connecting worksheets 401. is ther an sql script that I can run from HQ Admin to compress the log file with out deleting or distorting any data in HQ If you are talking about Transaction log then it can be accomplish taking the full backup of database or transaction log. If you have enterprise manager to to database right click and then click on backup then select the transaction log enter the device name (could be local driver to save the backup) I have made the Backup Maintenance which does all these things so I only got this erro...

Get External Data from Web
Hi I am pulling in currency exchange rate external data from a web site... no problems and storing the information on a worksheet. I have a userform with txtboxes that are linked to each of the cells. When the user form loads, the txtbox shows the currency exchange rate data imported in from the web site...agian no problems. I want to have a cmdbutton on the userform to update the data, i'm using:- ActiveWorkbook.RefreshAll but my question is the actual refresh will no take place until the userform is closed. How can i make the refresh data run whilst the userform is...

Sell Transaction is lost
On Nov 23 I sold 17,000 worth of one mutual fund and bought 17,000 of another. This shows up correctly in my Schwab account, but my Money account only shows the "buy" transaction, thus the total for the account is 17,000 off (approxomately, given changes in market value for all of the positions.) I have "Updated" and "Read Statement" several times. What gives? This is really scary. What about other mistakes that might not be so glaring, and hence would go unnoticed? Some of use do not download transaction data. We get what we need in there when we n...

the format data
Hi, Could you help me? I have an excel file with data daily imported from SQL via DTS. I want to format number data. I have a custom format for a column _-* #,##0.00$_- I define it in ActiveX task as objXL.Columns(11).NumberFormat = "_-* #,##0.00$_-" And I want to see 92.00$, but I see only 92, although the colum format is defined! Only if I do double click on a cell and Enter - the number becom formatted. How can I format apply format for ALL my data by usin methods/properties of Excel.Application object (script), not re-ente data into cells manually. Thank you -- nnv Post...

Return to a form field to re-enter data

Data in a Calender layout view
I'm being asked to take a block of data and summarize it by orders and by ship date and then put that summarized data into a calender view. Basically each day on the calender needs to show the order #'s that are to ship on that day. Is there a way to do this in a somewhat automated way in Excel? If not, does anyone know of any other MS program that I might try. Thanks, Chris ...

count with data filters on
Is there a way in Excel 2003 to use one of the count functions on a sheet that is using data filters. If I filter a column so that, for example, 10 rows out of a total of 100 rows are currently displayed, to use a counta or countif function to count the rows filtered? In other words, I want the count function to return 10, not 100...thanks in advance for your help! Try using the SUBTOTAL function. The value returned is dependent upon the first argument (parameter) in the function. Example: =SUBTOTAL(9,A2:A100) returns the sum of visible numbers in a filtered range. Here are other 1st ...

max data serie
Hi, I use VBA in Excell, and I need to put more than 32000 points per graph. Is it possible to make it ? In excel you have 65537 lines, more than 32767..... Thanks for your reply Make two identically formatted series, each with half the data. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "WG" <WG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E9320DB-874A-478F-8BEE-AD5B6293BE9D@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I use VBA in Excell, and I need to put more than 32000 points per ...

Great Plains Multi Sites Solution
Hi we have a situation that we have Four Different Sites of the same Organization each with Different Site Name Account Number, we would Like to Achieve MERGING all the licenses under One Site Name and to be used in all the other sites, can some one give me a procedure on how we can achieve this with the current Microsoft licenses Schemas, as well as a reference of such scenario if any Nader We have purchased a multi-site license for GP, by paying an additional 25% over the price of the licenses and the support.I would recommend that you do not merge the licenses and acquire a simil...

SQL2008 and Access 2007 Data Project
I am have SQL 2008 and Microsoft office 2007. I created a adp DB that connects to a DB in SQL 2008. Everything seems fine but I can’t edit the records in the Microsoft adp database. I have full rights to the db so that is not the issue and. In fact I go into SQL and edit the records without any issues. Another odd thing is I do have a command button set up that runs a delete stored procedure in SQL and updates a table in SQL and this works fine. Has anyone ran into this problem and if so is can you point me to the solution? Thanks Andy > Has anyone ran into this...