GP and CRM servers - Individual file backup

I am currently running three different servers.  One server (Windows server
2003) is running Dynamics GP 10.  This server also acts as my terminal
services license server.  Access to this server is via remote desktop and
server access is via “Users and groups” settings (not Active Directory).  My
second server (Windows server 2003) is running CRM 4.0 and active directory.
My third server (Windows Server 2008) will eventually be a SharePoint (MOSS
2007) server.

I am in an academic environment and my three servers are running on top of
VMware 2.5 ESX on IBM Blade hardware.  I have no access to the underlying
Vservers or the images.  All I can see and access are my three servers.  The
VMware images will not be backed up (don’t ask J ) and if the underlying
hardware crashes or any software problems occur, I will be responsible for
recreating my servers from scratch.

What my information systems group recommends is that I identify the
important files on each server and somehow backup these files to a certain
location on each server such as “C:\backup”.  This location will then be
accessed by software from my information systems group and backed up.  Thus,
I am trying to identify all the various files and documents that I need to
preserve.  Some such as the SQL Data directories for GP and CRM are obvious
but I am sure that there are a number of files that I should individually
copy/backup that I don’t even know about.  Therefore I am posting this
message to various Microsoft Newsgroups in the hope that people can recommend
what GP or CRM related files I should archive; how to backup my terminal
service license server; backup active directory accounts, any other files
that would ease the anguish of recreating my three servers from scratch, etc.

Any ideas or links to references are appreciated.

Jerry Flatto

"No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large number
of electrons were slightly inconvenienced..."

Dr. Jerry Flatto, Associate Professor,
Information Systems Department - School of Business, University of
Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA mailto:jflatto@uindy.edu

Jerry,

Have a look at the following Microsoft article:
http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/using/deploy/backup.mspx

It should give you an idea of what needs to be backed up.

Best regards,
--
MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP

"Jerry Flatto" wrote:

> I am currently running three different servers.  One server (Windows server
> 2003) is running Dynamics GP 10.  This server also acts as my terminal
> services license server.  Access to this server is via remote desktop and
> server access is via “Users and groups” settings (not Active Directory).  My
> second server (Windows server 2003) is running CRM 4.0 and active directory.
> My third server (Windows Server 2008) will eventually be a SharePoint (MOSS
> 2007) server.
>
> I am in an academic environment and my three servers are running on top of
> VMware 2.5 ESX on IBM Blade hardware.  I have no access to the underlying
> Vservers or the images.  All I can see and access are my three servers.  The
> VMware images will not be backed up (don’t ask J ) and if the underlying
> hardware crashes or any software problems occur, I will be responsible for
> recreating my servers from scratch.
>
> What my information systems group recommends is that I identify the
> important files on each server and somehow backup these files to a certain
> location on each server such as “C:\backup”.  This location will then be
> accessed by software from my information systems group and backed up.  Thus,
> I am trying to identify all the various files and documents that I need to
> preserve.  Some such as the SQL Data directories for GP and CRM are obvious
> but I am sure that there are a number of files that I should individually
> copy/backup that I don’t even know about.  Therefore I am posting this
> message to various Microsoft Newsgroups in the hope that people can recommend
> what GP or CRM related files I should archive; how to backup my terminal
> service license server; backup active directory accounts, any other files
> that would ease the anguish of recreating my three servers from scratch, etc.
>
> Any ideas or links to references are appreciated.
>
> Jerry Flatto
>
> "No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large number
> of electrons were slightly inconvenienced..."
>
> Dr. Jerry Flatto, Associate Professor,
> Information Systems Department - School of Business, University of
> Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA mailto:jflatto@uindy.edu

0
MarianoGomez (3440)
5/20/2009 4:18:01 PM
Mariano is pointing you to a good resource.

In addition to that you may want to download a free tool from Micosoft that
was created by Mark Russianovich called ADRestore.

In case someone deletes AD objects like child objects to the OU that was
created for the CRM deployment or user accounts that were incorrectly deleted
instead of being disabled within CRM.

This tool has saved some of my clients serveral times.
/:>

"Mariano Gomez" wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> Have a look at the following Microsoft article:
> http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/using/deploy/backup.mspx
>
> It should give you an idea of what needs to be backed up.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> MG.-
> Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> Maximum Global Business, LLC
> http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
>

> "Jerry Flatto" wrote:
>
> > I am currently running three different servers.  One server (Windows server
> > 2003) is running Dynamics GP 10.  This server also acts as my terminal
> > services license server.  Access to this server is via remote desktop and
> > server access is via “Users and groups” settings (not Active Directory).  My
> > second server (Windows server 2003) is running CRM 4.0 and active directory.
> > My third server (Windows Server 2008) will eventually be a SharePoint (MOSS
> > 2007) server.
> >
> > I am in an academic environment and my three servers are running on top of
> > VMware 2.5 ESX on IBM Blade hardware.  I have no access to the underlying
> > Vservers or the images.  All I can see and access are my three servers.  The
> > VMware images will not be backed up (don’t ask J ) and if the underlying
> > hardware crashes or any software problems occur, I will be responsible for
> > recreating my servers from scratch.
> >
> > What my information systems group recommends is that I identify the
> > important files on each server and somehow backup these files to a certain
> > location on each server such as “C:\backup”.  This location will then be
> > accessed by software from my information systems group and backed up.  Thus,
> > I am trying to identify all the various files and documents that I need to
> > preserve.  Some such as the SQL Data directories for GP and CRM are obvious
> > but I am sure that there are a number of files that I should individually
> > copy/backup that I don’t even know about.  Therefore I am posting this
> > message to various Microsoft Newsgroups in the hope that people can recommend
> > what GP or CRM related files I should archive; how to backup my terminal
> > service license server; backup active directory accounts, any other files
> > that would ease the anguish of recreating my three servers from scratch, etc.
> >
> > Any ideas or links to references are appreciated.
> >
> > Jerry Flatto
> >
> > "No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large number
> > of electrons were slightly inconvenienced..."
> >
> > Dr. Jerry Flatto, Associate Professor,
> > Information Systems Department - School of Business, University of
> > Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA mailto:jflatto@uindy.edu

Going Live with GP

What is the Outlook 2007 "PST" file called and how do I find it?
In prior versions of Outlook, I could always find the Outlook user data by scanning for PST file type. I've got a machine in which an eval version was used and now expired. I want to save the data for the day when I might buy Outlook and pick up where I left off. I can't find a PST file. -- Al Dykes News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising. - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail "Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message news:helf5c$5ac$1@panix5.panix.com... > > > In prior ...

Migrating data from GP to GP

Exchange Server Tab
I am running Exchange 2000. How do I get the Exchange Server tab to display under Active Directory for Users and Computers? How do I get the Exchange System Manager snap-in? Thanks. you need to install the ESM on your workstation...see this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;261177 "Diane Walker" <ett9300@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uW4r4wboEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I am running Exchange 2000. How do I get the Exchange Server tab to display > under Active Directory for Users and Computers? > > How do I get the Exchange Sy...

Backup Delema
Here is the situation. I have two Windows 2003 Exchange servers. One is a front end server in the DMZ. All it does is act as a SMTP gateway. The other box sits in the LAN and has all the mailboxes. We are running Panda Admin Secure AntiVirus for Exchange (BIG MISTAKE...Panda is big in Spain) Anyway Panda has an annoying way of crashing the store during backup. So here is what I would like to do. I would like to stop the antivirus software for Exchange during backup, but I don�t want mail being delivered to the store either. What services could I stop on the gateway without bringing the box dow...

GP concurrent user and SQL 2005 CAL

CRM 3.0 Currency symbol
No matter what i do i cant get the currency symbol to stay changed from $ to £ As soon as i exit the organisation settings form it changes back. Please help I have full admin rights on the network/crm/world etc Hi I am facing same problem. Do let me know if the case gets resolved. -- Thanks in advance. Ankit "Brian McFarland" wrote: > No matter what i do i cant get the currency symbol to stay changed from $ to £ > > As soon as i exit the organisation settings form it changes back. > > Please help > > I have full admin rights on the netwo...

.msg file
Someone sent me a distribution list as a .msg file but I have no idea how to get it into my contacts. Any help would be appreciated. Never mind. I didn't think about just dragging them. Too simple. Jerry <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote: > Someone sent me a distribution list as a .msg file but I have no idea > how to get it into my contacts. Any help would be appreciated. Try dragging the .msg file to your contacts folder. -- Brian Tillman ...

Error: "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The microsoft exchange server is unavailable"
Hi: I have a user on our exchange 2003 sp1 system who is receiving the above error when trying to connect to his mailbox. He is able to connect in OWA. I gave myself rights on his mailbox and set up a new profile on my machine (xp, office 2003) and connected fine. I then logged in as his account on my machine, set up a profile and tried to open outlook and received the error above. Any ideas. Not seeing this exact error on the microsoft site or google groups. ...

Server info
I've been having a problem sending emails from my Windows account. I found the problem (I think). In the account information area, the information is now incorrectly listed as POP3 when it is actually imap. However, when I am in the tab where this is speciaifed, I can't change that info in the box - it will not allow me to type in the box or to delete the POP3. I need help! Thanks, anybody! You cannot edit the protocol specification. Delete that POP3 account, restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account with IMAP protocol. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mai...

Fabrication and GP

Exchange server being compromised???
Hi guys, Our company has an Exchange 2003 (SBS 2003) box that's SENDING out mail to mxi.earthlink.net and mx2.earthlink.net and takes up the whole T1 bandwidth since last week. We've ran antivirus and found several spyware but that's about it. We've also ran packet analysis to confirm those two addresses but now we're stuck as to how to solve this. Can someone lead me to the right direction as to what or who is relaying our smtp traffic? Please help. Thanks. Exchange 2003 is closed to relaying, unless you've enabled it...what IP addresses are the emails coming fro...

Upgrading from GP 9 to GP 10

a way to combine archive files
I have been archiving my money files every few years. I was trying to locate a transaction and I had to open each archive file. Is there some way of combining the archive files? You can't - see http://umpmfaq.info/faq.html#Q29. Many of us regard archiving as one of the least helpful things that MS added to Money. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "PattiWagen" <sandynpat@hotmail.com> wrote in m...

GP 9 Upgrade and SQL Server 2000 sp4

Hard Drive Crash---Import pst file
I have a back-up file (~ 3.3 GB) of Outlook 2007 from crashed hard drive . When I try to import PST file I get the following message: "Errors have been detected in the file" Tried Scanpst.exe to no avail. When I try to open directly from the recovered file using Outlook I get a message that the "attachment size exceeds the allowable limit" Suggestions on how to import/repair PST file would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jimmy Is this backup a copy of a pst file or was it created with some backup software? Is this file located on the current hd? Are...

Payroll GP 10.0

MS CRM integration to GP
Hello Can any one update me wheather the mutiple company databases can be integrated to MSCRM. The senario is this. a company has mutiple entities using GP 7.5 and unique sql databases,require to integrate mscrm with gp. The integration that is supplied by MS only allows you to integrate with 1 company DB. You could probably use some of the components that are provided, but you will need to develop some of the integration logic yourself to address this. Matt On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 05:34:31 -0800, "ramki@loayoman.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello &g...

Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB956744) Cannot Install.
For Windows Server 2003. This is a standard Windows Update that I try to install but get a message that it failed to install. I can't find any source to tell me why it won't or what I can do about it. I am not getting an error code of any sort - it is just listed under "not installed" when I get my update installation screen at the end of the installs. Can anyone help please? I downloaded the update manually from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a37a2d8a-a5ce-4f06-bf07-8cafa16e7a59&displaylang=en Ran it, and then ran Check U...

Creating campaign with CRM web service
Hi all, A simple question, but I can't find an example (just the "classical" contact creation ^o^) I want to create a campaign with the CRM Web Service. I wrote a simple code to do this, but it seems that I've missed something... Error message : Server was unable to process request. (not really helpfull ^o^) Here is my code : Parameters : ByVal p_str_Name As String, ByVal p_int_Type As Integer, ByVal p_gid_ID_Owner As guid Dim service_CRM As New CrmService Dim l_ben_Campaign As New campaign service_CRM.Credentials = System.Net.Credent...

error in GP
When I try to generate a Historical Aged Trial Balance my computer freezes then gives me this error message. "The stored procedure pmHistoricalAgedTrialBalance returned the following results DBMS:208, GP:0 This is path I use to get to the report: Reports/Purchasing/Trial Balance/Historical Aged Trial Balance. We have been having problems with other reports because of the change from 2005 to 2006. I appreciate the assistance. ------=_NextPart_0001_AF5FCF35 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Jason, This is Lisa. Thank you for your inquiry on the Historica...

creating an XLS file from " files" data in a Folder
Hi All, I have a number of files in a folder. What I would like to do is create an XLS file as follows 1. Files in folder are:- apple.pdf, orange.pdf, peach.pdf, tomato.pdf, the XLS file I create automatically (based on files in the folder) would be like this A1: apple.pdf B1: orange.pdf C1: peach.pdf D1: tomato.pdf Is this possible to do ? thanks in advance Edwin Mashiringwani Use the Windows Start command followed by Run and type in CMD Navigate to the folder of interest (do you rememeber DOS?) Type DIR>filelist.txt Close the RUN window, open XL In XL FIle|Open and open f...

Moving Exchange server to another domain
Hello, I would like to get information about moving an exchnage server from one windows 2000 domain to another new domain, as a part of moving W2K domain from domain1 to domain2.Please help me by giving real idea how i have to start and what are the precosions i have to take. The real need is to move two existing win2k domain to a new domain. That is EXDM1 and EXDM2 have to restructure and form NMDM1. According to my idea, 1. start by joing a new server to existing forest and promot it to DC with domain name NMDM1. 2. Move the user accounts from existing two domains to new domain using &q...

Backup hang
Hi out there I have a problem when backup up a Windows 2003 server with Exchange - I am running a full backup of the Exhange server (information store, mailboxes etc) with BackupExec 10.0 and it Exchange Agent - but it from time to time go into a hang when backing up a busy mailbox - has some out there found a workaround on this? A simple workaround on this could be to restart the Exchange service before issuning the backup job - as workaround until a real solution is implemented - is there a way to resart the exchange service from a command line? best regards /ti Do not backup mailboxe...