GP 9 Upgrade and SQL Server 2000 sp4

per microsoft's documentation sql server sp4 must be installed before
upgrading to GP 9.  does anyone know if the sql server sp 4 install is
necessary for the GP 9 upgrade?  microsoft's documentation indicated that all
service packs for GP 8 must be installed before upgrading to GP 9, but after
speaking with support, they said the GP 8 service packs aren't necessary.
bottom line: i'd like to avoid the sql sp4 install if necessary as i had to
rebuild my test server after installing sp4 last week.

thank you.

Since the database requirements for GP 9.0 list SQL 2000 SP 4 as the lowest
SP level, I would think that yes, you have to install SP 4 before upgrading.
Even if it 'technically' worked without upgrading to SP 4, you'd now be on
an unsupported platform.

We've upgraded a fair amount of SQL Server installs recently to SP 4 and
have not had any issues at all.  If you had to rebuild a server after
installing SQL 2000 SP 4, I would have to think there is something else that
is wrong on that server or with the SQL install, and it's better to find
that out before upgrading GP.

As for the GP service packs, most of the upgrade guidelines I have seen for
GP for many versions now will suggest that you upgrade to the latest service
pack of the old version you're on, but I think that is more for lowering the
possibility of errors/issues with the upgrade than a system requirement,
like the OS or database version/SP.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"scuttlebuttin" <scuttlebuttin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> per microsoft's documentation sql server sp4 must be installed before
> upgrading to GP 9.  does anyone know if the sql server sp 4 install is
> necessary for the GP 9 upgrade?  microsoft's documentation indicated that
> all
> service packs for GP 8 must be installed before upgrading to GP 9, but
> after
> speaking with support, they said the GP 8 service packs aren't necessary.
> bottom line: i'd like to avoid the sql sp4 install if necessary as i had
> rebuild my test server after installing sp4 last week.
>
> thank you.

0
victoria (3339)

Move databases from WSS SQL Express to Full SQL?
Is there a procedure to move a WSS SQL Express database to another server running SQL Server? ------=_NextPart_0001_FE3063F0 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello Matt, Yes there is a process needs to be followed: Detach the content Database from SharePoint Web application through Central Administration Move LDF and MDF files to the new Server Attach the Content Database from new SQL Server (There is a option to mention Database Server and DB name when you attach) Make sure your Farm account has DBCreator and Security Admin roles in the new ...

Going Live with GP

upgrade
I have the Money98 Financial Suit Version 6. Can I upgrade to Money 2004 Deluxe without physically reentering all the data now in Money 98? If you stay with the same localization, (i.e., no M98UK->M04US) M04 is **supposed** to be able to upgrade your data file seamlessly. Some people have been less fortunate. "Manfred" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:143401c3dfa8$5c009e30$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have the Money98 Financial Suit Version 6. Can I > upgrade to Money 2004 Deluxe without physically reentering > all the data now in Money 9...

Migrating data from GP to GP

VISIO 2000
hi, using SP 2 Appqarently I can't set the metric system via tools | options | regional settings Well, that is, I *can* change the setting to 'centimeters' - but then .. nothing happens, everything is still in inches.. Please help. Thanks! ep This is a confusing dialog. The setting controls the units for the next drawing you create, not the current one. Go to File > Page Setup to modify the current page. -- Mark Nelson Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "ep" <anonymous@t-online....

Exchange Server Tab
I am running Exchange 2000. How do I get the Exchange Server tab to display under Active Directory for Users and Computers? How do I get the Exchange System Manager snap-in? Thanks. you need to install the ESM on your workstation...see this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;261177 "Diane Walker" <ett9300@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uW4r4wboEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I am running Exchange 2000. How do I get the Exchange Server tab to display > under Active Directory for Users and Computers? > > How do I get the Exchange Sy...

GP concurrent user and SQL 2005 CAL

Re-Installing Excell 2000 on new computer
I purchased Excell 2000 and installed on Dell 8200 w/windows ME. Hard drive crashed. Aquired new Dell 8300 w/ windows XP. Trying to install but windows will not except product key. "Can't find previously installed program on system". Any help would be greatly appreciated. You are presumably using an Upgrade version which requires that you ca prove ownership of a prior version. You can use any setup disk (CD o floppy disk 1) containing a qualifying Microsoft product and refer th new setup to that. I think you get the option to browse with the "no found" message...

Error: "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The microsoft exchange server is unavailable"
Hi: I have a user on our exchange 2003 sp1 system who is receiving the above error when trying to connect to his mailbox. He is able to connect in OWA. I gave myself rights on his mailbox and set up a new profile on my machine (xp, office 2003) and connected fine. I then logged in as his account on my machine, set up a profile and tried to open outlook and received the error above. Any ideas. Not seeing this exact error on the microsoft site or google groups. ...

Fabrication and GP

Server info
I've been having a problem sending emails from my Windows account. I found the problem (I think). In the account information area, the information is now incorrectly listed as POP3 when it is actually imap. However, when I am in the tab where this is speciaifed, I can't change that info in the box - it will not allow me to type in the box or to delete the POP3. I need help! Thanks, anybody! You cannot edit the protocol specification. Delete that POP3 account, restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account with IMAP protocol. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mai...

Upgrading from GP 9 to GP 10

Exchange server being compromised???
Hi guys, Our company has an Exchange 2003 (SBS 2003) box that's SENDING out mail to mxi.earthlink.net and mx2.earthlink.net and takes up the whole T1 bandwidth since last week. We've ran antivirus and found several spyware but that's about it. We've also ran packet analysis to confirm those two addresses but now we're stuck as to how to solve this. Can someone lead me to the right direction as to what or who is relaying our smtp traffic? Please help. Thanks. Exchange 2003 is closed to relaying, unless you've enabled it...what IP addresses are the emails coming fro...

GP 9 Upgrade and SQL Server 2000 sp4

Payroll GP 10.0

Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB956744) Cannot Install.
For Windows Server 2003. This is a standard Windows Update that I try to install but get a message that it failed to install. I can't find any source to tell me why it won't or what I can do about it. I am not getting an error code of any sort - it is just listed under "not installed" when I get my update installation screen at the end of the installs. Can anyone help please? I downloaded the update manually from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a37a2d8a-a5ce-4f06-bf07-8cafa16e7a59&displaylang=en Ran it, and then ran Check U...

MS CRM integration to GP
Hello Can any one update me wheather the mutiple company databases can be integrated to MSCRM. The senario is this. a company has mutiple entities using GP 7.5 and unique sql databases,require to integrate mscrm with gp. The integration that is supplied by MS only allows you to integrate with 1 company DB. You could probably use some of the components that are provided, but you will need to develop some of the integration logic yourself to address this. Matt On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 05:34:31 -0800, "ramki@loayoman.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello &g...

Convert 2002 D/B to 2000 shows no details
When I attempt to use the [Tools];[Database Utility]; to [Convert Database]; to Access 2000 format from Access XP, the resulting database doesn't display anything in the Detail View. All tables and queries appear to be present in LIST View and ICON Views but when DETAIL View is selected the entire display is blank. Is there a "Select Details" option in Access as there is in Windows Explorer? "Tom" <tvandeveer@ldmi.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:000701c3dea6$9c1b5440$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When I attempt to use the [Tools];[Database Utility]; to > ...

error in GP
When I try to generate a Historical Aged Trial Balance my computer freezes then gives me this error message. "The stored procedure pmHistoricalAgedTrialBalance returned the following results DBMS:208, GP:0 This is path I use to get to the report: Reports/Purchasing/Trial Balance/Historical Aged Trial Balance. We have been having problems with other reports because of the change from 2005 to 2006. I appreciate the assistance. ------=_NextPart_0001_AF5FCF35 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Jason, This is Lisa. Thank you for your inquiry on the Historica...

Moving Exchange server to another domain
Hello, I would like to get information about moving an exchnage server from one windows 2000 domain to another new domain, as a part of moving W2K domain from domain1 to domain2.Please help me by giving real idea how i have to start and what are the precosions i have to take. The real need is to move two existing win2k domain to a new domain. That is EXDM1 and EXDM2 have to restructure and form NMDM1. According to my idea, 1. start by joing a new server to existing forest and promot it to DC with domain name NMDM1. 2. Move the user accounts from existing two domains to new domain using &q...

GP General Ledger Distribution Reference Field Length
Is there a way of expanding the field length of the Distribution Reference field beyond 30 characters? No, I'm afraid it is not possible. "Pam" <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D76FF64-76BE-4FCE-812F-2AC8519BAB4D@microsoft.com... : Is there a way of expanding the field length of the Distribution Reference : field beyond 30 characters? Just curious, why do you need a longer field length - for drill down purposes or for report printing purposes? "Pam" wrote: > Is there a way of expanding the field length of the Distribution Refer...

Autonumber Workaround with SQL Server 2005 BE
I built a multi-user contacts application as a split Access database initially and then moved the back end to SQL Server 2005 using an ODBC connection. I implemented an AutoNumber workaround to avoid primary key collisions when users attempt to add records at the same time (probably borrowed from Allen Browne or Albert Kallal?) by setting the default value of the ContactID field = DMax("ContactID", "tblContacts") + 1 and trapping any duplicate key errors as follows: Private Sub Form_Error(DataErr As Integer, Response As Integer) On Error GoTo Err_Form_Error Resp...

Outlook 2000 question #2
My wife works for a company in Minnesota (Electromed) but works from our house in Florida. We have a Bellsouth DSL connection with Windows and Office 2000. Her Electromed.com email is forwarded to her Bellsouth.net account but when she sends or replies, it is sent from her Bellsouth.net account. Is there any way that she can "send as" from her Electromed.com account from home for business and Bellsouth.net from home for personal stuff? We do not use Exchange or anything, just Outlook. Thanks, Buckyno2 Is this "the Company" that doesn't use Exchange or you at home, to...

Business Portal (BP) and Great Plains (GP)
We do not have all the fields in the Ledger Transaction Summary History Table (BP) available as we do in the Account Transaction table in GP i.e. can't find TRX Date in BP but have it GP. Is there any control when installing the BP software with respect to what fields for a table will be displayed and can be used in constructing queries in BP? How do we get access to additional fields in BP? Kimmer, Thanks for using the newsgroups. The Ledger Transaction Summary History entity maps to the Account Summary History table. The Account Transaction History table is not exposed th...