GP 7.5 on win2k3 Terminal Server problems

Strange problem seems to limit number of users accessing Great Plains
to 3... All eight users are logged on to the Terminal server fine. Yet
only three at a time can access GP. Contractor who is doing the GP
install says she has never seen anything like this. Another friend has
said that in the past, he has seen a special post-install script that
must be run for TS installs of GP, but the contractor says this is now
redundant...

SQL Server 2000 sp3 with *per CPU License*.
Terminal server is a fresh install with no TS CALs installed yet, but
the 90-day temp licenses should be fine for the initial testing phase, I
should think.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hi

Did you install Great Plains client via control panel - add/ remove
programs?
Also this could be a permissions issue?

To check if this is a permissions issue,  i always use filemon.exe which can
be downloaded from
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

You will need to run filemon from a admin session: ask one of the users that
cannot access great plains to run GP on the TS server and monitor filemon.
Once the user has tried this, pause filemon (otherwise it will be pages and
pages long) and look for Accdenied in the Results column.  This will give
you an idea of what permissions you would need to set.

The quickest way to find out if this is a permission issue it to add all
users to the local admin group on the TS server,  once tested you can undo
the local admin permission of that user.

Hope the above helps

James

"Erik Myllymaki" <erik.myllymaki@aviawet.com> wrote in message
> Strange problem seems to limit number of users accessing Great Plains
> to 3... All eight users are logged on to the Terminal server fine. Yet
> only three at a time can access GP. Contractor who is doing the GP
> install says she has never seen anything like this. Another friend has
> said that in the past, he has seen a special post-install script that
> must be run for TS installs of GP, but the contractor says this is now
> redundant...
>
> SQL Server 2000 sp3 with *per CPU License*.
> Terminal server is a fresh install with no TS CALs installed yet, but
> the 90-day temp licenses should be fine for the initial testing phase, I
> should think.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Thanks for this -

I had ruled out file permissions problmes in my mind, because all the
users can launch Great Plians, just not at the same time. I will make
sure of this though with your suggestions below.

The install was done after executing the command "change user /install".
The only thing that I am second guessing was whether it was done while
logged into the console as Administrator or whether we might have
installed it via a TS session as Administrator...? If the latter, would
that explain it?

James wrote:

> Hi
>
> Did you install Great Plains client via control panel - add/ remove
> programs?
> Also this could be a permissions issue?
>
> To check if this is a permissions issue,  i always use filemon.exe which can
> be downloaded from
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml
>
> You will need to run filemon from a admin session: ask one of the users that
> cannot access great plains to run GP on the TS server and monitor filemon.
> Once the user has tried this, pause filemon (otherwise it will be pages and
> pages long) and look for Accdenied in the Results column.  This will give
> you an idea of what permissions you would need to set.
>
> The quickest way to find out if this is a permission issue it to add all
> users to the local admin group on the TS server,  once tested you can undo
> the local admin permission of that user.
>
> Hope the above helps
>
> James
>

> "Erik Myllymaki" <erik.myllymaki@aviawet.com> wrote in message
>
>>Strange problem seems to limit number of users accessing Great Plains
>>to 3... All eight users are logged on to the Terminal server fine. Yet
>>only three at a time can access GP. Contractor who is doing the GP
>>install says she has never seen anything like this. Another friend has
>>said that in the past, he has seen a special post-install script that
>>must be run for TS installs of GP, but the contractor says this is now
>>redundant...
>>
>>SQL Server 2000 sp3 with *per CPU License*.
>>Terminal server is a fresh install with no TS CALs installed yet, but
>>the 90-day temp licenses should be fine for the initial testing phase, I
>>should think.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks.

Thanks for this -

I had ruled out file permissions problems in my mind, because all the
users can launch Great Plains, just not at the same time. I will make

James wrote:

> Hi
>
> Did you install Great Plains client via control panel - add/ remove
> programs?
> Also this could be a permissions issue?
>
> To check if this is a permissions issue,  i always use filemon.exe which can
> be downloaded from
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml
>
> You will need to run filemon from a admin session: ask one of the users that
> cannot access great plains to run GP on the TS server and monitor filemon.
> Once the user has tried this, pause filemon (otherwise it will be pages and
> pages long) and look for Accdenied in the Results column.  This will give
> you an idea of what permissions you would need to set.
>
> The quickest way to find out if this is a permission issue it to add all
> users to the local admin group on the TS server,  once tested you can undo
> the local admin permission of that user.
>
> Hope the above helps
>
> James
>

> "Erik Myllymaki" <erik.myllymaki@aviawet.com> wrote in message
>
>>Strange problem seems to limit number of users accessing Great Plains
>>to 3... All eight users are logged on to the Terminal server fine. Yet
>>only three at a time can access GP. Contractor who is doing the GP
>>install says she has never seen anything like this. Another friend has
>>said that in the past, he has seen a special post-install script that
>>must be run for TS installs of GP, but the contractor says this is now
>>redundant...
>>
>>SQL Server 2000 sp3 with *per CPU License*.
>>Terminal server is a fresh install with no TS CALs installed yet, but
>>the 90-day temp licenses should be fine for the initial testing phase, I
>>should think.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks.

It is always adviseable to install all  applications on the console rather
via a TS session (just to confirm, do you have the TS server is Application
mode?).

Are the users using modified reports?  Does a user get an error when they
cannot laucnh Great Plains?

Regards

> Thanks for this -
>
> I had ruled out file permissions problems in my mind, because all the
> users can launch Great Plains, just not at the same time. I will make
> sure of this though with your suggestions below.
>
> The install was done after executing the command "change user /install".
> The only thing that I am second guessing was whether it was done while
> logged into the console as Administrator or whether we might have
> installed it via a TS session as Administrator...? If the latter, would
> that explain it?
>
> James wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Did you install Great Plains client via control panel - add/ remove
> > programs?
> > Also this could be a permissions issue?
> >
> > To check if this is a permissions issue,  i always use filemon.exe which
can
> > be downloaded from
> > http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml
> >
> > You will need to run filemon from a admin session: ask one of the users
that
> > cannot access great plains to run GP on the TS server and monitor
filemon.
> > Once the user has tried this, pause filemon (otherwise it will be pages
and
> > pages long) and look for Accdenied in the Results column.  This will
give
> > you an idea of what permissions you would need to set.
> >
> > The quickest way to find out if this is a permission issue it to add all
> > users to the local admin group on the TS server,  once tested you can
undo
> > the local admin permission of that user.
> >
> > Hope the above helps
> >
> > James
> >

> > "Erik Myllymaki" <erik.myllymaki@aviawet.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Strange problem seems to limit number of users accessing Great Plains
> >>to 3... All eight users are logged on to the Terminal server fine. Yet
> >>only three at a time can access GP. Contractor who is doing the GP
> >>install says she has never seen anything like this. Another friend has
> >>said that in the past, he has seen a special post-install script that
> >>must be run for TS installs of GP, but the contractor says this is now
> >>redundant...
> >>
> >>SQL Server 2000 sp3 with *per CPU License*.
> >>Terminal server is a fresh install with no TS CALs installed yet, but
> >>the 90-day temp licenses should be fine for the initial testing phase, I
> >>should think.
> >>
> >>Any ideas?
> >>
> >>Thanks.

WinXP Pro to Student version Win 7 Ultimate
My son's computer currently runs Windows XP Pro SP3 and he's looking to go to the student version of Windows 7 Ultimate. We've run the advisor and the machine is more than capable of handling the change but we're a bit baffled by some conflicting information on the http://www.software4students.co.uk/ website. The Microsoft Upgrade Path Chart shows that a move from Windows XP to Windows 7 Ultimate can be done, NOT as an in-place upgrade, but ONLY as a "custom install". A custom install is also known as a clean install and can be used to completely repl...

Going Live with GP

problem deleting mailbox
I had some trouble with a echange mailbox. So i deleted the mailbox from the user, and created a new one again. All problems are over now, so that worked... but..... When i now go to the exchange system manager, and i go to: Servers->servername->first storage group->mailbox store->mailboxes i get a overview of all users mailboxes sizes etc... But the user from wich i deleted his mailbox and then added it again, now has 2 Mailboxes in this overview!?! is this normal? Why didn't exchange remove the old mailbox completely? it is a pretty large mailbox of about 500Mb, so now, if ...

outlook pst #5
Does anyone know if there is a limit as to how many pst files you can have in outloook 2003? I take it you mean how many open? Are you perchance wishing to create a seperate pst for each Contact? "rob" <taylorrob@battelle.org> wrote in message news:207801c4ac7e$331dbc20$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if there is a limit as to how many pst > files you can have in outloook 2003? ...

Migrating data from GP to GP

[ANN] Entourage Help Blog: Quick Time 7.5 update causes moment of panic
After applying the Quick Time 7.5 update to Entourage 2008, contacts seemed to disappear. Continue reading for details: The Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/> -- Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/> Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/> ...

Worksheet().Range.Calculate Problem
I am having a major problem with these two lines of code in my otherwise great reporting tool: Worksheets("Goals Tracker").Select Worksheets("Goals Tracker").Range("G3:GA712").Calculate These 2 lines freezes up my computer to the point that I can't use any other application on my computer. It takes forever (over an hour, the last time I let it run complete) to calculate one sheet in the workbook. I need to find out if there is another way to get this done faster. Any help will be appreaciated. There's no need to select the worksheet in o...

Exchange Server Tab
I am running Exchange 2000. How do I get the Exchange Server tab to display under Active Directory for Users and Computers? How do I get the Exchange System Manager snap-in? Thanks. you need to install the ESM on your workstation...see this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;261177 "Diane Walker" <ett9300@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uW4r4wboEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I am running Exchange 2000. How do I get the Exchange Server tab to display > under Active Directory for Users and Computers? > > How do I get the Exchange Sy...

WDDK driver problem
Hi, I'm developing a WDDM driver, currently I have skeleton user mode and miniport drivers. After installation and rebooting on Win7 I'm getting the following call sequence. DriverEntry DxgkDdiAddDevice DxgkDdiQueryInterface {2564aa4f-dddb-4495-b497-6ad4a84163d7} I2C DxgkDdiQueryInterface {bf4672de-6b4e-4be4-a325-68a91ea49c9} OPM DxgkDdiStartDevice DxgkDdiQueryChildRelations DxgkDdiStopDevice DxgkDdiRemoveDevice DxgkDdiUnload I can't see any debug message that clarify the reason for choosing to use the VGA driver instead of my WDDM driver (I'm enabling VI...

GP concurrent user and SQL 2005 CAL

Problems with network printers
Having some issues with publisher in a networked environment. The user will create a publication from one location, save it, open it in a different location, and print to the printer assigned to the original location. I was told that this was due to embedding. Printers are pushed down from printer scripts assigned through GP. Any help on this issue would be REALLY appreciated.. Thank you.. :) -Eric The user should not simply click the Printer icon. The user should open the print dialog (File, Print) and select the desired printer from the list. If the desired printer is not i...

MFC and IP problem
Hello, I have a simple mfc application(exe) and i want to know If it is possible to get back the IP address of a machine which is to connect has my PC by ethernet and to show it in a IP case in my MFC application. Thank you Not very clear what are you talking about. Do you want to know the local IP address? or may be address of different PC in the same LAN? <john.ambou@free.fr> wrote in message news:1144920653.682354.258970@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > I have a simple mfc application(exe) and i want to know If it is > possible to get back the IP address ...

Array problem? List comparison?
Hey, Let me set up what I'm trying to do. I have 3 columns with the following data. A: 10, 20, 30 B: X, Y, Z C: 28, 8, 1 Now, I have a last column, D, which I'm trying to figure out the correct formula for. I want D to return the following: Look at column A, find the smallest number that's greater than the adjacent cell in column C, and then return the adjacent cell in column B. So, in this example, column D should read: D: Z, X, X I can't figure this out. I think it has to do with arrays, but I'm not too sure. If anyone has any insight on how to ...

EXC5.5: IMC crashing on mail with unknown addresses
Hi, We have a severe problem on two sites in our exchange organization. (Exchange 5.5 SP4 + postSP4 Hotfixes, Trend Micro SMEX 3.82_1160) When sending emails to addresses, which were moved in the organisation, the IMC seems to crash (bridge head server in a site of 5 exc servers, holding @3000 mailboxes, bridgehead itself has @5- max.50 mailboxes). On the address field properties of the sent email you only see the X.400 address of the old location of the user, no display name, etc. is set (old entry may be grabbed from a user out of the GAL due to replication delays). Checking IMC queue...

How do I create an A3 size document using Windows 7
A3 is not listed in the pre-set schedule of document sizes in Windows 7 (unlike previous versions of Windows). How do I create such a document using Windows 7? Does your printer support A3? Word/Windows will display the paper sizes supported by the default (or currently active) printer. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "A3 documents in Windows 7" <A3 documents in Windows 7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2647F06-5560-41A6-9C2F-462E6198C989@microsoft.com... > A3 is ...

Excel If Statements
I am trying to create a conditional statement with 17 IFs. I started needing to do 11 Ifs. I got over the Excel limit of 7 by identifying a cell in the last element of the first string of 4 IFs in which there was a further string with 7 IFs. However I now need to expand this to 17 IFs. I tried the same technique of creating a third string with 6 more IFs and identifying this in the last condition of the second string. It didn't work. Any ideas. Look here: http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip080.htm -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Peter" <P...

Error: "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The microsoft exchange server is unavailable"
Hi: I have a user on our exchange 2003 sp1 system who is receiving the above error when trying to connect to his mailbox. He is able to connect in OWA. I gave myself rights on his mailbox and set up a new profile on my machine (xp, office 2003) and connected fine. I then logged in as his account on my machine, set up a profile and tried to open outlook and received the error above. Any ideas. Not seeing this exact error on the microsoft site or google groups. ...

Server info
I've been having a problem sending emails from my Windows account. I found the problem (I think). In the account information area, the information is now incorrectly listed as POP3 when it is actually imap. However, when I am in the tab where this is speciaifed, I can't change that info in the box - it will not allow me to type in the box or to delete the POP3. I need help! Thanks, anybody! You cannot edit the protocol specification. Delete that POP3 account, restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account with IMAP protocol. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mai...

Fabrication and GP

.XValues syntax problem
I am writing a macro that includes assigning x-values from the third column of Sheet 1 to the active chart: ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C2:C105") However, when I change the range-referencing to cells-style, I get an error: ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = Sheets("Sheet1").Range(Cells(1,3),Cells(105,3)) The error says: "Method of 'Cells' of object '_Global' failed Does the XValues argument not take Cells-style referencing? I ask because what I really want to do is assign a variable to the ...

Installing Office 07 on Vista (Problem Encountered)
My previous version of office corrupted and won't run, now when I try to install a new version to the same location it fails. I cannot uninstall the older version because it is corrupt - I was wondering if there is a walk-through for a manual uninstall or some support I don't have to pay $40 for. "Karl Neumann" <Karl Neumann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E653F052-BEA5-419D-AF5C-047A2D6FFF21@microsoft.com... > My previous version of office corrupted and won't run, now when I try to > install a new version to the same location i...

#5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 message does not comply with required standa
One of my users is having his replies to an outside address returned to him as undeliverable. The NDR displays this message: #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 This message does not comply with required standards. Interestingly, I (in the same domain, using the same Exchange Server) am able to e-mail the address successfully, and the user has e-mailed the address successfully in the past. I found one mention of this issue on a non-MS discussion forum, and the workaround is apparently to remove RE: from the subject line before sending. I haven't tested this exactly yet, but it would explai...

Exchange server being compromised???
Hi guys, Our company has an Exchange 2003 (SBS 2003) box that's SENDING out mail to mxi.earthlink.net and mx2.earthlink.net and takes up the whole T1 bandwidth since last week. We've ran antivirus and found several spyware but that's about it. We've also ran packet analysis to confirm those two addresses but now we're stuck as to how to solve this. Can someone lead me to the right direction as to what or who is relaying our smtp traffic? Please help. Thanks. Exchange 2003 is closed to relaying, unless you've enabled it...what IP addresses are the emails coming fro...

Upgrading from GP 9 to GP 10