GP 10 Startup Performance

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice, as I'm pulling my hair out with this.
This was the way on 9.0, and I was really hoping 10 fixed it.
Upon starting on 10.0, the performance with the startup is just absolutely
horrible when reminders, tasks, and metrics are turned on.  Turning them
off, we get satisfactory performance, but that completely defeats the
purpose of having them up and running.
Has : A: Anyone seen this
        B: Resolved it any other way than shutting them off

The client currently has over 10,000 open A/R documents, does approx 7-800
invoices and another 300 orders per day.  Customer count is about 2500.
Purchase orders number about 100 per day as well, with about 10-20 lines per
PO.
Server is quad zeon, 6 gig of ram, over 40% available disk space.

Any all suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

Sincerely
Michael Greymont
MG Consulting

The more compelling question is, what are the clients running? Please don't
tell me they are on Vista and GP 10? If this is the case, they might as well
be running servers as desktops.

I saw some performance improvement after upgrading to Vista SP1. But again,
you did not specify.

Best regards,
--
MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP

"MichaelG" wrote:

> Hi all, I'm looking for some advice, as I'm pulling my hair out with this.
> This was the way on 9.0, and I was really hoping 10 fixed it.
> Upon starting on 10.0, the performance with the startup is just absolutely
> horrible when reminders, tasks, and metrics are turned on.  Turning them
> off, we get satisfactory performance, but that completely defeats the
> purpose of having them up and running.
> Has : A: Anyone seen this
>         B: Resolved it any other way than shutting them off
>
> The client currently has over 10,000 open A/R documents, does approx 7-800
> invoices and another 300 orders per day.  Customer count is about 2500.
> Purchase orders number about 100 per day as well, with about 10-20 lines per
> PO.
> Server is quad zeon, 6 gig of ram, over 40% available disk space.
>
> Any all suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.
>
> Sincerely
> Michael Greymont
> MG Consulting

0
MarianoGomez (3440)
7/24/2008 7:42:01 PM
xp pro with either sp2 or 3
They all are p4's, 1ghz ethernet connection, 1gig ram minimum, and all
extraneous services turned off....
Mike
NO vista workstations except one laptop, and that is experiencing the same.

"Mariano Gomez" <MarianoGomez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The more compelling question is, what are the clients running? Please
> don't
> tell me they are on Vista and GP 10? If this is the case, they might as
> well
> be running servers as desktops.
>
> I saw some performance improvement after upgrading to Vista SP1. But
> again,
> you did not specify.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> MG.-
> Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> Maximum Global Business, LLC
> http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
>

> "MichaelG" wrote:
>
>> Hi all, I'm looking for some advice, as I'm pulling my hair out with
>> this.
>> This was the way on 9.0, and I was really hoping 10 fixed it.
>> Upon starting on 10.0, the performance with the startup is just
>> absolutely
>> horrible when reminders, tasks, and metrics are turned on.  Turning them
>> off, we get satisfactory performance, but that completely defeats the
>> purpose of having them up and running.
>> Has : A: Anyone seen this
>>         B: Resolved it any other way than shutting them off
>>
>> The client currently has over 10,000 open A/R documents, does approx
>> 7-800
>> invoices and another 300 orders per day.  Customer count is about 2500.
>> Purchase orders number about 100 per day as well, with about 10-20 lines
>> per
>> PO.
>> Server is quad zeon, 6 gig of ram, over 40% available disk space.
>>
>> Any all suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.
>>
>> Sincerely
>> Michael Greymont
>> MG Consulting

One random note...  I have seen better performance in GP when the auto-fill
functionality is turned way down.  I have reduced the number to 250 to 500 on
most clients and I do see a better response time.

"MichaelG" wrote:

> xp pro with either sp2 or 3
> They all are p4's, 1ghz ethernet connection, 1gig ram minimum, and all
> extraneous services turned off....
> Mike
> NO vista workstations except one laptop, and that is experiencing the same.
>
> "Mariano Gomez" <MarianoGomez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The more compelling question is, what are the clients running? Please
> > don't
> > tell me they are on Vista and GP 10? If this is the case, they might as
> > well
> > be running servers as desktops.
> >
> > I saw some performance improvement after upgrading to Vista SP1. But
> > again,
> > you did not specify.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > --
> > MG.-
> > Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> > Maximum Global Business, LLC
> > http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> >

> > "MichaelG" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all, I'm looking for some advice, as I'm pulling my hair out with
> >> this.
> >> This was the way on 9.0, and I was really hoping 10 fixed it.
> >> Upon starting on 10.0, the performance with the startup is just
> >> absolutely
> >> horrible when reminders, tasks, and metrics are turned on.  Turning them
> >> off, we get satisfactory performance, but that completely defeats the
> >> purpose of having them up and running.
> >> Has : A: Anyone seen this
> >>         B: Resolved it any other way than shutting them off
> >>
> >> The client currently has over 10,000 open A/R documents, does approx
> >> 7-800
> >> invoices and another 300 orders per day.  Customer count is about 2500.
> >> Purchase orders number about 100 per day as well, with about 10-20 lines
> >> per
> >> PO.
> >> Server is quad zeon, 6 gig of ram, over 40% available disk space.
> >>
> >> Any all suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.
> >>
> >> Sincerely
> >> Michael Greymont
> >> MG Consulting

The Autofil is definately something to look at but not for the desktop.  Look
at the metrics displayed (usually generated by Smartlists).  It may be
possible to add one or two suplimental indexes to some tables to speed these
up.

The GP Smartlists typically pull data against tables with key data that is
not indexed (like sort customer by zip code)  Adding an index by ZIP code in
that case would make the metric run much much faster.

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Dan Shepherd" wrote:

> One random note...  I have seen better performance in GP when the auto-fill
> functionality is turned way down.  I have reduced the number to 250 to 500 on
> most clients and I do see a better response time.
>
> "MichaelG" wrote:
>
> > xp pro with either sp2 or 3
> > They all are p4's, 1ghz ethernet connection, 1gig ram minimum, and all
> > extraneous services turned off....
> > Mike
> > NO vista workstations except one laptop, and that is experiencing the same.
> >
> > "Mariano Gomez" <MarianoGomez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > The more compelling question is, what are the clients running? Please
> > > don't
> > > tell me they are on Vista and GP 10? If this is the case, they might as
> > > well
> > > be running servers as desktops.
> > >
> > > I saw some performance improvement after upgrading to Vista SP1. But
> > > again,
> > > you did not specify.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > --
> > > MG.-
> > > Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> > > Maximum Global Business, LLC
> > > http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com

0
info4071 (3004)
7/24/2008 10:42:03 PM
it looks like the culprit is the smartlists that is once again causing the
pain here, in your experience will new indexes (like customer po number or
doc date) really speed this up?
Mike
MG Consulting

"Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" <info@AccoladePublications.com> wrote in
message news:8E6B08F7-B13B-4AD1-9294-AD574E0385F5@microsoft.com...
> The Autofil is definately something to look at but not for the desktop.
> Look
> at the metrics displayed (usually generated by Smartlists).  It may be
> possible to add one or two suplimental indexes to some tables to speed
> these
> up.
>
> The GP Smartlists typically pull data against tables with key data that is
> not indexed (like sort customer by zip code)  Adding an index by ZIP code
> in
> that case would make the metric run much much faster.
>
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "Dan Shepherd" wrote:
>
>> One random note...  I have seen better performance in GP when the
>> auto-fill
>> functionality is turned way down.  I have reduced the number to 250 to
>> 500 on
>> most clients and I do see a better response time.
>>
>> "MichaelG" wrote:
>>
>> > xp pro with either sp2 or 3
>> > They all are p4's, 1ghz ethernet connection, 1gig ram minimum, and all
>> > extraneous services turned off....
>> > Mike
>> > NO vista workstations except one laptop, and that is experiencing the
>> > same.
>> >
>> > "Mariano Gomez" <MarianoGomez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> > message

A GREAT deal...however...if you put too many suplimental indexes in place you
can slow down writes.  It is a balancing act

--

"MichaelG" wrote:

> it looks like the culprit is the smartlists that is once again causing the
> pain here, in your experience will new indexes (like customer po number or
> doc date) really speed this up?
> Mike
> MG Consulting
>
> "Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" <info@AccoladePublications.com> wrote in
> message news:8E6B08F7-B13B-4AD1-9294-AD574E0385F5@microsoft.com...
> > The Autofil is definately something to look at but not for the desktop.
> > Look
> > at the metrics displayed (usually generated by Smartlists).  It may be
> > possible to add one or two suplimental indexes to some tables to speed
> > these
> > up.
> >
> > The GP Smartlists typically pull data against tables with key data that is
> > not indexed (like sort customer by zip code)  Adding an index by ZIP code
> > in
> > that case would make the metric run much much faster.
> >
> > --
> > Richard L. Whaley
> > Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> > Documentation for Software Users
> >
> > Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
> > http://www.AccoladePublications.com
> >

> > "Dan Shepherd" wrote:
> >
> >> One random note...  I have seen better performance in GP when the
> >> auto-fill
> >> functionality is turned way down.  I have reduced the number to 250 to
> >> 500 on
> >> most clients and I do see a better response time.

0
info4071 (3004)
7/25/2008 1:42:00 AM
I you use SQL Views with NoLock statements and indexes it will solve both
issues and run much faster.

Jim

"Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:

> A GREAT deal...however...if you put too many suplimental indexes in place you
> can slow down writes.  It is a balancing act
>
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "MichaelG" wrote:
>
> > it looks like the culprit is the smartlists that is once again causing the
> > pain here, in your experience will new indexes (like customer po number or
> > doc date) really speed this up?
> > Mike
> > MG Consulting
> >
> > "Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" <info@AccoladePublications.com> wrote in
> > message news:8E6B08F7-B13B-4AD1-9294-AD574E0385F5@microsoft.com...
> > > The Autofil is definately something to look at but not for the desktop.
> > > Look
> > > at the metrics displayed (usually generated by Smartlists).  It may be
> > > possible to add one or two suplimental indexes to some tables to speed
> > > these
> > > up.
> > >
> > > The GP Smartlists typically pull data against tables with key data that is
> > > not indexed (like sort customer by zip code)  Adding an index by ZIP code
> > > in
> > > that case would make the metric run much much faster.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Richard L. Whaley
> > > Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> > > Documentation for Software Users
> > >
> > > Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at
> > > http://www.AccoladePublications.com

0
JimHummer (81)
7/29/2008 3:55:01 PM
You need to double memory on each machine to at least 2 gig.   Also disable
any Word Add or Outlook Add ons.   Also are the PST local on on a network.
That could be an issue.

Jim

"MichaelG" wrote:

> Hi all, I'm looking for some advice, as I'm pulling my hair out with this.
> This was the way on 9.0, and I was really hoping 10 fixed it.
> Upon starting on 10.0, the performance with the startup is just absolutely
> horrible when reminders, tasks, and metrics are turned on.  Turning them
> off, we get satisfactory performance, but that completely defeats the
> purpose of having them up and running.
> Has : A: Anyone seen this
>         B: Resolved it any other way than shutting them off
>
> The client currently has over 10,000 open A/R documents, does approx 7-800
> invoices and another 300 orders per day.  Customer count is about 2500.
> Purchase orders number about 100 per day as well, with about 10-20 lines per
> PO.
> Server is quad zeon, 6 gig of ram, over 40% available disk space.
>
> Any all suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.
>
> Sincerely
> Michael Greymont
> MG Consulting

0
JimHummer (81)

Going Live with GP

Migrating data from GP to GP

GP concurrent user and SQL 2005 CAL

If statement #10
Could someone help me write an if statement saying that if the current cell has no data in it to place a o in the cell but if there is a number do nothing. Thank you "Jeremy" <Jeremy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7137C258-4568-49D2-B699-3C0D35D4E0DE@microsoft.com... > Could someone help me write an if statement saying that if the current cell > has no data in it to place a o in the cell but if there is a number do > nothing. > > Thank you =if(a1="",o,a1) is [basically] what you want but will most likely produce a looping error. I...

Fabrication and GP

Upgrading from GP 9 to GP 10

GP 9 Upgrade and SQL Server 2000 sp4

Payroll GP 10.0

MS CRM integration to GP
Hello Can any one update me wheather the mutiple company databases can be integrated to MSCRM. The senario is this. a company has mutiple entities using GP 7.5 and unique sql databases,require to integrate mscrm with gp. The integration that is supplied by MS only allows you to integrate with 1 company DB. You could probably use some of the components that are provided, but you will need to develop some of the integration logic yourself to address this. Matt On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 05:34:31 -0800, "ramki@loayoman.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello &g...

error in GP
When I try to generate a Historical Aged Trial Balance my computer freezes then gives me this error message. "The stored procedure pmHistoricalAgedTrialBalance returned the following results DBMS:208, GP:0 This is path I use to get to the report: Reports/Purchasing/Trial Balance/Historical Aged Trial Balance. We have been having problems with other reports because of the change from 2005 to 2006. I appreciate the assistance. ------=_NextPart_0001_AF5FCF35 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Jason, This is Lisa. Thank you for your inquiry on the Historica...

GP General Ledger Distribution Reference Field Length
Is there a way of expanding the field length of the Distribution Reference field beyond 30 characters? No, I'm afraid it is not possible. "Pam" <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D76FF64-76BE-4FCE-812F-2AC8519BAB4D@microsoft.com... : Is there a way of expanding the field length of the Distribution Reference : field beyond 30 characters? Just curious, why do you need a longer field length - for drill down purposes or for report printing purposes? "Pam" wrote: > Is there a way of expanding the field length of the Distribution Refer...

This operation cannot be performed #3
M2004 all of a sudden started acting up. I try to open the program. After the password screen( or the first screen if I delete the password option) I get a pop up box stating the above subject. I click ok and the program opens and works with no apparent problems. If I click more info I get the following: Details Product: Money ID: 34 Source: mnyob99 Version: 12.0 Symbolic Name: errUnknown Message: This operation cannot be performed. Explanation Usually caused by a corrupt file. ...

Business Portal (BP) and Great Plains (GP)
We do not have all the fields in the Ledger Transaction Summary History Table (BP) available as we do in the Account Transaction table in GP i.e. can't find TRX Date in BP but have it GP. Is there any control when installing the BP software with respect to what fields for a table will be displayed and can be used in constructing queries in BP? How do we get access to additional fields in BP? Kimmer, Thanks for using the newsgroups. The Ledger Transaction Summary History entity maps to the Account Summary History table. The Account Transaction History table is not exposed th...

Performance is unusably slow..
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am running Excel on the latest MacBook Pro but as soon as I handle somewhat larger tables (i.e. over 100 rows), performance of Excel becomes so incredibly slow that the application is virtually unusable to me. Is there any tweak? Are there others experiencing the same issue? There are two things you need to do: 1) Apply the most recent updates to both OS X and Excel 2) Ensure the computer has more than four gigs of RAM. Now, this is a bug caused by the following: * The Paper size is set to so...

Startup screen
I am using OUTLOOK 2000. I have removed the Inbox from my short cut menu as I do not used OUTLOOK for email. However, when I start OUTLOOK the inbox is displayed as the initial screen. How can I keep that from happening and have the OUTLOOK TODAY screen shown instead. Thanks for any help. Don Jacobs Thanks, you made my day. Don Alias wrote: > Tools/Options/Other/Advanced Options/Start up with this folder and choose > Outlook Today from the drop down menu. Tools/Options/Other/Advanced Options/Start up with this folder and choose Outlook Today from the drop down menu. -- A...

Feedback on GP Time and Attendance
I am looking for some feedback on GP 9 / BP 3 version of Time and Attendance. We are using non Payroll, Canadian version, of GP Time and Attendance and we are experiencing many limitations. What is your experience with this product? Any other similar product you'd recommend? Thanks in advance, Bruno ...

I want to know GP Tables Definitions
I need to know the tables for the window general transaction entry in GL Carmencite: Go Tools>Resource Descriptions>Windows. Select Product/Series/View By. You'll be able to see all the tables associated with a specific window. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com Carmencita, In addition you may want to check David Musgrave's article on resources at http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/10/05/finding-table-and-field-information-in-microsoft-dynamics-gp.aspx Best regards, -- M...

Input Mask 02-12-10
Hi what format do you think a form input mask should be to accomodate the following record formats: 1234-11 (4 digits, dash, 2 digits) 12345-11(5 digits, dash, 2 digits) A1234 (1 Letter, 4 digits) Thanks M. ...

ROYAL STYLE #10 BELTS (2)PK
List Price:$3.95 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B0015OMZLM Best price found: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B0015OMZLM ROYAL STYLE #10 BELTS (2)PK ...

Deactivate MS GP
Hello everyone We are in the process of migrating our data from MS Great Plains to Dynamics AX. Once is all converted we still need to keep GP at least read only for about 7 years I was wondering if anyone has any idea what steps should I take to decommission GP. -- villica I would setup one user class called 'Inquiry Only', set security settings for this class so that only Inquiry and Reports can be accessed, then assign all users to the Inquiry class. Hope this helps, Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com ge...

Outlook 2002 does not startup
Installed Office 2002 Outlook 2002 is the only program does not start-up help please Why won't it start? Do you get error messages? What happens when you try to open it? Have you installed your mail accounts under Control Panel->Mail Icon? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Daniel Richardson asked: | Installed Office 2002 | Outlook 2002 is the ...

MS Excel performance with Windows 7 Starter
Hi, I use a netbook and performance is quite okay with most app's. It's just got an Atom processor with 2G RAM. The performance in excel is very slow, is there anything that I can do to speed it up? I am using Excel 2007 Home and Student and navigating from one cell to the next is quite slow. Love Windows 7 and Office 2007 but am ageing fast, HELP!! -- PaulD ...

Help for upgrade process from GP 7.5 to GP 10.0
Hi All, I have recently completed my certification in GP 10.0 Inventory. I've managed to get some hands-on experience with the product. There is a requirement from a client for upgrading his system from GP 7.5 to GP 10.0. The client happens to be from the hospitality industry. Could someone guide me on this? I would also greatly appreciate if anyone could point to blogs and articles on the subject. Many Thanks, Sadique Sadique, Mariano Gomez's blog is a good place to start: http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2008/10/dynamics-gp-upgrade-path.html. -- Victoria Yudin Dynam...

GP
Dynamic security console is corrupted or have invalid data. How to solve this issue It would help if you let us know how and when you get this error (as in doing exactly what). Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com "Riju" wrote: > Dynamic security console is corrupted or have invalid data. > > How to solve this issue ...