Going Live with GP

I plan to start using GP Sept 1.  We have not transferred any historical
transaction from the old accounting system.
All of our Vendors, Customers, Inv Items etc. are entered and we have tested
all functions of AP AR GL.
Does anyone have a checklist of things to do when starting with a new GP
accounting system?
I understand the basics things such as
Enter open invoices in AP and AR
Enter open POs
Enter begining GL account balances fromt the old accounting system
Begining bank balances and so on.
I just want to make sure that I'm not overlooking something so a check list
from someone experienced with GP would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.
0
TotalDoor (15)

The setup checklists in Great Plains are a good place to start. You should go
through them starting with the System and proceeding to the last module. Go
to Tools --> Routines and each series has its own checklists.

"TotalDoor" wrote:

> I plan to start using GP Sept 1.  We have not transferred any historical
> transaction from the old accounting system.
> All of our Vendors, Customers, Inv Items etc. are entered and we have tested
> all functions of AP AR GL.
> Does anyone have a checklist of things to do when starting with a new GP
> accounting system?
> I understand the basics things such as
> Enter open invoices in AP and AR
> Enter open POs
> Enter begining GL account balances fromt the old accounting system
> Begining bank balances and so on.
> I just want to make sure that I'm not overlooking something so a check list
> from someone experienced with GP would be helpful.
>
> Thank you in advance.
0
CharlesAllen (483)
8/26/2005 1:39:08 PM
Thank you Charles.  I have been using the checklists.  I was hoping to get
some veteran advice that may help me to avoid a gotcha moment after the
changeover.  I'm pretty detail oriented, but I have a personality type that
makes focus on the things that I may have missed.
The staff here is nervous and it's my job to make sure that everything is
done thoroughly so all this extra work to switch to GP will be worth it.
I'm confident about moving forward with GP, but I can never be too sure.

Thanks again Charles you're a frequent contributor to this group and I
appreciate your insights.

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> The setup checklists in Great Plains are a good place to start. You should go
> through them starting with the System and proceeding to the last module. Go
> to Tools --> Routines and each series has its own checklists.
>

> "TotalDoor" wrote:
>
> > I plan to start using GP Sept 1.  We have not transferred any historical
> > transaction from the old accounting system.
> > All of our Vendors, Customers, Inv Items etc. are entered and we have tested
> > all functions of AP AR GL.
> > Does anyone have a checklist of things to do when starting with a new GP
> > accounting system?
> > I understand the basics things such as
> > Enter open invoices in AP and AR
> > Enter open POs
> > Enter begining GL account balances fromt the old accounting system
> > Begining bank balances and so on.
> > I just want to make sure that I'm not overlooking something so a check list
> > from someone experienced with GP would be helpful.
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
0
TotalDoor (15)
8/26/2005 2:21:03 PM
What modules are you implementing?

What trx data are you converting?

"TotalDoor" wrote:

> Thank you Charles.  I have been using the checklists.  I was hoping to get
> some veteran advice that may help me to avoid a gotcha moment after the
> changeover.  I'm pretty detail oriented, but I have a personality type that
> makes focus on the things that I may have missed.
> The staff here is nervous and it's my job to make sure that everything is
> done thoroughly so all this extra work to switch to GP will be worth it.
> I'm confident about moving forward with GP, but I can never be too sure.
>
> Thanks again Charles you're a frequent contributor to this group and I
> appreciate your insights.
>
> "Charles Allen" wrote:
>
> > The setup checklists in Great Plains are a good place to start. You should go
> > through them starting with the System and proceeding to the last module. Go
> > to Tools --> Routines and each series has its own checklists.
> >

> > "TotalDoor" wrote:
> >
> > > I plan to start using GP Sept 1.  We have not transferred any historical
> > > transaction from the old accounting system.
> > > All of our Vendors, Customers, Inv Items etc. are entered and we have tested
> > > all functions of AP AR GL.
> > > Does anyone have a checklist of things to do when starting with a new GP
> > > accounting system?
> > > I understand the basics things such as
> > > Enter open invoices in AP and AR
> > > Enter open POs
> > > Enter begining GL account balances fromt the old accounting system
> > > Begining bank balances and so on.
> > > I just want to make sure that I'm not overlooking something so a check list
> > > from someone experienced with GP would be helpful.
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance.
0
CharlesAllen (483)
8/26/2005 2:29:05 PM
We're only starting with GL, AP, AR, INV, & Bank Rec.
We will not transfer any transaction level data except those that are open
transactions at month end.
My first step is to simply replace the old accounting software (DOS based
Real World) We will keep the old accounting software available for historical
transaction reporting.
I currently have another software (a custom written app) that does all of my
SO and invoicing so all I need to do in GP AR right now is post a simple
receivable transaction.
AP and PO processing has gotten a lot of focus so far.  We're a
manufacturing firm so once we have our core financials up and running we will
be transitioning a lot of other business processes to GP in the future.
Getting our SO processing and purchasing and core accounting into one system
is the long term goal.  We'll look at purchasing BOM, Job cost and/or
manufacturing modules when the time comes.
For now we will be entering many of our open invoices and open POs, but for
those that we don't get to before Sept 1, we will enter the receipt or
invoice in GP before receiving the goods or payments into the GP system.
We will enter our August closing balances into GP as soon as those numbers
are available from the old system.
We're laying the groundwork for the future, so I want to get it right the
first time.

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> What modules are you implementing?
>
> What trx data are you converting?
>
> "TotalDoor" wrote:
>
> > Thank you Charles.  I have been using the checklists.  I was hoping to get
> > some veteran advice that may help me to avoid a gotcha moment after the
> > changeover.  I'm pretty detail oriented, but I have a personality type that
> > makes focus on the things that I may have missed.
> > The staff here is nervous and it's my job to make sure that everything is
> > done thoroughly so all this extra work to switch to GP will be worth it.
> > I'm confident about moving forward with GP, but I can never be too sure.
> >
> > Thanks again Charles you're a frequent contributor to this group and I
> > appreciate your insights.
> >
> > "Charles Allen" wrote:
> >
> > > The setup checklists in Great Plains are a good place to start. You should go
> > > through them starting with the System and proceeding to the last module. Go
> > > to Tools --> Routines and each series has its own checklists.

0
TotalDoor (15)

Where Do Messages Go??
If there isn't a kink in my program and it's behaving as it should, I hope someone can answer my questions. Messages disappear. Example: I e-mailed a friend, who e-mailed me back. When I answered that response, I could find no trace of it in "sent mail" or anywhere else, and the item in my inbox maintained its appearance as unread mail. If I click "mark read" it disappears altogether. I've lost several messages this way. Also I seem to be unable to drag a message from one folder to another. It gets lost in the transporter, never to be seen agai...

Where do the Archives Go?
I cannot find the information Outlook claims to have archived for me. Yes I know how to display the archived calendar, but it's blank. Any ideas? Thanks! I use XP, and Office 2007. "6Sigma 5s No Clue" <6Sigma5sNoClue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B239B721-DCF1-4337-947D-B325D4BF0E4A@microsoft.com... >I cannot find the information Outlook claims to have archived for me. Yes I > know how to display the archived calendar, but it's blank. Any ideas? > Thanks! > > I use XP, and Office 2007. Why do you think Outook is arch...

Price/cost fields need to be able to go beyond 5 decimals.
When we receive product it comes in $ per metric ton, which we convert to $ per lb.. We sometimes receive product in millions of lbs. in one line item, when we convert from $/MT to lb./MT the limit of 5 decimal places in a currency field causes pretty lare rounding errors to occur in our extended cost. This causes our posted cost in GP to be different than what we actually pay our vendors. The ability to extend beyond 5 decimals in the currency field would solve the problem, but for now it is not possible in GP. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsof...

Multiple calendars, how to choose which one meetings go into
Hi I have 3 calendars setup in outlook XP , when someone sends me a meeting request how can i change which calendar the meeting goes into, at the moment they all go into what i guess is the default calendar which i want to change to a different one any ideas? thanks Chris You really can't change it. Outlook treats certain folders special. "Chris S" <fred@fred.com> wrote in message news:43cf7167$0$23294$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk... > Hi > > I have 3 calendars setup in outlook XP , when someone sends me a meeting > request how can i change which calend...

Go to page
I have a long document and need to go the certain pages without having to scroll down. How do I go to a particular page? Thanks This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0040_01CAEE07.56832EE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Press Ctrl+G to open the GoTo dialog, and enter the page number. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. "richard" <rmk@wo...

User Log in problems after upgrade to GP 9.0
We have upgraded from GP 7.5 to 9.0. One user tried to change the printer settings and got locked out. When user tries to log in again it gives option that you can delete your log in, user clicks yes and deletes the user activity and it gives company login window. When user selects the company and clicks Ok to log in, at this point system kicks the user out leaving the user activity in the company that user selected. Same process goes on and system is not letting this user log in at all. First we uninstalled and installed the GP 9 on the user's workstation but that did not help. ...

Here we go again
Well, once again CashEdge is not connecting/syncing with Money and MSN Money. I guess I won't run right out to buy Money 2007. Even if the software were an improvement over M06, it cannot be any better than the weakest link in the sync chain. A known problem, David -- and not unique to the version of Money. Look at http://moneycentral.msn.com/common/networkstatus.asp -- Michael Gordon MVP "David Haynes" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:eNopg0UzGHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Well, once again CashEdge is not connecting/syncing with Money and MSN ...

GP Extender
I have added an Extender field to my sales item detail entry screen for Job Number. The key is Line Item Sequence and SOP Number. When I transfer the order to an invoice and open the Extender window, it does not have the job number. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or that it just does not do that. My customer does not want to have to type it in on the order and again on the invoice. Can Extender 'tie' documents or transactions together with same field. For instance, I want the job number to 'flow' from the order to the invoice or from the purchase order t...

Windows Live mail Address limitation
I have a large family and need to address more than 10 at one time. Is there a way to get WLM to accept more than 10? Do you get an error when you attempt this? When does it occur? Upon sending? Upon completing the "to" line? Which ISP are you using (smtp server name will help here). This is unusual, even as an ISP limitation "Hershjohn" <Hershjohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F868DBE-AE33-42F6-8A91-B2CFA360DD6D@microsoft.com... > I have a large family and need to address more than 10 at one time. Is > there > a way ...

Not all emails going out??
For the last week or so, send few, my emails have not been going out, or not going out to all parties I access from my address book. Just tested by sending one to myself...went fine. Sent second to a single party and cc myself. Did not receive my cc in outlook, but it did show up in my iphone. Tried a third to a group of people...through a single address book contact, and nothing happened. I am strictkly novice, but have not had this problem before. Any ideas??? -- Thanx! Wilson Kobel;110315 Wrote: > For the last week or so, send few, my emails have not been going...

Wildcat! Live Exchange V1.0e Available
A new update to Wildcat! Live Exchange v1.0e (wcLEX), a new Microsoft Forums Web to News Reader NNTP Proxy allowing to continue using your favorite news reader is now available. You may download it from this site: http://opensite.winserver.com Some new features/enhancements, major highlights - Mime Processing of text attachments shown as text. Future Ideas coming here. - [MVP] or [MSFT] display with user name - RE: prefixing of the subject for threads - Option to show forum stats at top of message in a user defined template. Future ideas com...

If Public Folders are going away..
What would be the best/simplest solution for a user requesting a group calendar to be used within Outlook. Ordinarily i would advise them to create a calendar within the Public Folders hierarchy and then assign access rights to anyone who needs it. I understand though that Public Folders will be history with the next release of Exchange. The only thing i can think of is to create a new mailbox, share the calendar, and then walk users through adding it to their Outlook folder list. I suspect this isn't the best way though. Any recommendations out there? All clients are running ...

Live window resizing
Do you know if the lack of live window resizing in powerpoint and excel 2008 is a bug, something that's lacking and they won't introduce, or just on my computer? I'm using office 2008 home and student edition on leopard 10.5.2 <br><br>It just bugs me that something that every other app I have has it apart from powerpoint and excel. Surely it's a trivially easy thing to include? I meant leopard 10.5.1 In article <ee8993b.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, doomela@officeformac.com wrote: > Do you know if the lack of live window resizing in powerpoint and excel...

live mail account
I have 2 email accounts. I use one as my default account, which is not the live mail account but live mail account receives the same emails as my default. This requires managing the emails twice. How do I stop emails to other accounts from going to the live mail account automatically? Thank you Cheryl Don't use live mail it will give you problems that is only the start of it, what about you phone info just wait "Cheryl C" <Cheryl C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:22C52FDF-C8C4-488C-8BAB-611F3B976F26@microsoft.com... > I have ...

Multiple Contacts Folders: can I sync them so I can go back to use
I got the bright idea of making 2 more Contacts folders so that I could be better organized. I decided not to use the old Contacts folder and instead was putting changes in the two news one, which would be used for different purposes. The reason I came up with this is so that I could get around using categories (temporarily) because a lot of them disappeared for some unknown reason. Any, now the problem is that in order for me to set up Contacts to be tracked in the Journal, I have to use the Contacts folder I initially had (the default folder), and Windows Mobile (for my Motorola Q)...

If stmt
I would like to create an 'if' statement which includes the condition if the statement is true, then 'go to' a new location. Is this possible??? How about a worksheet function: =IF(A1="asdf",HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet 1'!A4),"go1"), HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet 2'!C9),"go2")) (One cell) (I used two sheet names with spaces--just to show the apostrophes.) You may want to modify the cell's style to be hyperlink. (Format|Cells|Style) MM wrote: >...

Computer does not go into hibernation
In Power Options I enabled hibernation and asked the computer to go into = hibernation after 30 minutes. Well, it doesn't.=20 The complete settings are as follows: Turn off monitor: after 5 min. Turn off hard disks: after 15 minutes. System standby: after 25 minutes. System hibernates: after 30 minutes. What may be the reason of the computer not going into hibernation? TIA Humpty Usually something running in the background. Are you running a virus program that starts when the computer is idle? "Humpty Dumpty" <sorry@antispam.net> wrote in messa...

February Live Chat: Pricing and discounts
The Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) team will host a one-hour Live Chat on Thursday, February 5, 2009, at 10:00 a.m. Pacific time. The topic will be Pricing and Discounts. Join us with your questions about managing item prices, setting up price levels, scheduling sales, and offering discounts. Our experts will respond to questions about other features in Microsoft Dynamics RMS as time allows. If you are not able to join the chat and would like to submit a question, you may send it in an e-mail message to rmsdoc@microsoft.com. To add the chat to your calendar or to en...

Wave file in GP login
It used to be in past versions there was a welcome.wav file that a voice said "Welcome to Dynamics" when you logged in, and one could edit this file, etc. Is there any way to do this in Version 10? Matt, Check out this blog post by David Musgrave: http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/09/09/welcome-to-dynamics-example.aspx -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Want to use Crystal Reports with GP? http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com "Matt Mason" <MattMason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Where do emails go?
When I send an email, it goes to the Outbox, then gets sent, but after that it doesn't show in the Sent box. Is there an option where to put sent messages? Thanks Scott G'Day Scott, Tools>Options Email Options (button) Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder (check box) -- Regards, Pat Garard Australia ______________________________________ ...

going to hyperlink closes workbook
Can someone help with this problem? When I click on weblink in excel, I go to the website, but the workbook closes. This does not happen if I have unsaved changes in the workbook. Thanks in advance. Bill I believe that this was a bug in xl97--are you using xl97? If I recall correctly, the workaround was to change a cell (to make excel think the workbook is dirty). (or upgrade???) billb wrote: > > Can someone help with this problem? When I click on weblink in excel, I go > to the website, but the workbook closes. This does not happen if I have > unsaved changes in the w...

Attachments go multiple times
Outlook 2002 SP3 Win XP DSL connection When sending attachments the status pane shows "task 1 of 1" and there is a progress bar. When the progress bar reaches 100%, the status then goes to "task 2 of 2" with the progress bar starting again. This generally repeats itself several times before the message finally moves to the Sent Items folder. In the meantime, the recipient has received several copies of the message. Anyone know what is happening here, and how to stop it? Cheers, ...

Bills & Deposits won't go away
I have used money for years with great happiness - until now. I am using Money 2004 Standard AU version. I have a recurring bill that I have deleted from my bills and deposits section, but it will not dissapear from the home page. It is causing massive speed problems everytime I use the bills and deposits section or do any cash flow projections. It no longer appears on my budgets, cash flows or bills and deposits list, but sits on the home page all the time. Now the last 3 instances of this bill are all sitting there. I have attempted to export all my transactions to another file and...

Autocomplete pop-up won't go away
I cannot make the annoying "do you want to enable Autocomplete" pop-up in IE7 go away. I am using XP Pro btw. Whenever I type something in the Search box (upper right corner of IE7) I get the annoying pop-up. I have Googled for the fix, have checked and set all settigns in IE Options/Advanced, etc...and even looked in TweakUI as well as tweaking my registry according to this site: http://www.internetfixes.com/question_and_answer/IF00345.htm Set IE Options / Autocomplete unticked everything, set History to 0 Days, nada. the pop-up remains. If I click NO when it comes...

Windows Cannot go to standby
Hi All, I want to write an application to find out why my system can not go to standby/hibernate mode (What device driver not support Power Management or What device driver cause the OS cannot go to standby/hibernate). Is there an API or Event Log I can read it from. Is there a PMTShutdown.EXE for windows XP or 2000 Thanks in advance Toi Day ...