GL figures - best practice

what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures so
users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr.

do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a
maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file.

--
Linda W.
0

Linda,

You mean when you are starting up a new company?

If so, unless someone needs the detail imported into GP for other reasons, I
bring in a beginning balance and monthly net changes only.  For example,
let's say you're starting to use GP with January 2009, your fiscal year ends
in December and you want to be able to create monthly comparative statements
that include 2008.  In that case I would bring in the ending balance for
12/31/2007 and monthly net changes for every month in 2008.  I would bring
them in as GL transactions via IM.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"LindaW" <LindaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures
> so
> users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr.
>
> do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a
> maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file.
>

> --
> Linda W.

0
victoria (3340)
4/23/2009 5:26:37 PM
I agree with Victoria.  Import them as GL transactions and post.  Bring in
summary net change "transactions" only unless the customer needs more.
--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Linda,
>
> You mean when you are starting up a new company?
>
> If so, unless someone needs the detail imported into GP for other reasons, I
> bring in a beginning balance and monthly net changes only.  For example,
> let's say you're starting to use GP with January 2009, your fiscal year ends
> in December and you want to be able to create monthly comparative statements
> that include 2008.  In that case I would bring in the ending balance for
> 12/31/2007 and monthly net changes for every month in 2008.  I would bring
> them in as GL transactions via IM.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports
> http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
> blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com
>

> "LindaW" <LindaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures
> > so
> > users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr.
> >
> > do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a
> > maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file.
> >

> > --
> > Linda W.

0
info4071 (3004)
4/23/2009 5:59:00 PM
One more thing, If you going to bring in balances as of 12/31/2007 (as
opposed to 01/01/2008), you will need to perform a year-end closing to roll
over beginning balances to 2008.

Best regards,
--
MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP

"Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:

> I agree with Victoria.  Import them as GL transactions and post.  Bring in
> summary net change "transactions" only unless the customer needs more.
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Linda,
> >
> > You mean when you are starting up a new company?
> >
> > If so, unless someone needs the detail imported into GP for other reasons, I
> > bring in a beginning balance and monthly net changes only.  For example,
> > let's say you're starting to use GP with January 2009, your fiscal year ends
> > in December and you want to be able to create monthly comparative statements
> > that include 2008.  In that case I would bring in the ending balance for
> > 12/31/2007 and monthly net changes for every month in 2008.  I would bring
> > them in as GL transactions via IM.
> >
> > --
> > Victoria Yudin
> > Dynamics GP MVP
> > Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports
> > http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
> > blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com
> >

> > "LindaW" <LindaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures
> > > so
> > > users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr.
> > >
> > > do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a
> > > maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Linda W.

0
MarianoGomez (3440)

Wrong result is coming while adding tow figures
Hi all, I wrote the following function . But in some time the result is showing wrong format. When VarSum gets value 185.42 and ValueSum gets -185.42 the result should be 0. VarSum = VarSum + ValueSum 0= 185 + - 185 . But some cases Excel shows the balance as 8.5265128E-14. Please help. I given the function below. Sub CashBookMacrosnew() Dim VarSum As Double Dim ValueSum As Double Dim VarSumOld As Double Dim totalsum As Double lastrow = Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row currow = ActiveCell.Row pre_row = ActiveCell.Row Col_A = "" ...

best way to show my address
hey all, i would like to display my customer address on my form as read only. what's the best way to do this. idealy i'd like to display the address as one big field inside a label or textbox that way it can easily be selected and copied to clipboard. Plus the address consists of a street address line 1 field and line 2 field in the table and if possible i'd like to omit line 2 if it's blank so that gap won't show up? any ideas? thanks, rodchar On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 12:53:01 -0800, rodchar <rodchar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >hey all, >i would like ...

SMTP Relay Best Practice Question
I have several MFP devices on our network that I would like to configure Exchange to relay mail for. I want to make sure that my understanding is correct before I start configuring these devices. I have Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 SP2 install in a FE/BE configuration. At this time, I have not defined a routing group or a bridgehead server, however that will likely be next in the configuration process. On the BE server, I should configure relay to allow "Only the list below" with specific IPs for the specific devices that require it. I should also leave the check box that allow...

Significant figures #2
HELP Once again I am driving myself insane. We need to format cells in our worksheet to show significant figures. We need to post lab results using the correct number of significan figures. Ex. 0.1 must be displayed as 0.100 10 needs to be displayed as 10.0 105 as 105 1023 as 1020 10343 as 10300 165435 as 165000 I have written a complicated if then else statement for every cell. The statment works perfectly EXCEPT when a number is an exact number. The problem is that when some of the trailing digits are 0's they ge truncated. We always want numbers less than 1 to show 3 decimal ...

Dario Is da best
Hello People ...

Unknown Device: how to figure out what is that?
Hello, Recently I did clean install of Windows XP plus all updates and SP3. Windows setup did not automatically install the hardware devices such as video, audio and modem except the network card which was installed OK. I have found the missing drivers on Compaq website and installed them successfully. However, Device Manager still shows one device not installed. There is big question mark and "Unknown Device" name beside it. I wonder what that device can be? Is there some utility or tool helping to solve that problem? Your help appreciated, Claire I...

best online billpay option
I'm getting ready to jump back into the online bill payment waters after being burned by a hard drive crash a couple of years ago? What's the best option? BankOne says I get free unlimited online bill payment. I assume that this requires use of their web-based bill payment system. I found this option far less desireable than entering all the bill payment info (payee,amount, budget category, etc.) in Money, and uploading the payment instructions. This later option gave me a complete picture of my finances day-to-day, was faster/more elegant, allowed my to allocate payments to budge...

"Include in Lookup" option on GL accounts
I recently created table GL00100 in SQL Server for GP Dynamics version 9.0. The only column that I couldn't enter any data into was the DSPLKUPS column. The binary field values for this column decide which GL accounts will appear in the "Include in Lookup" option. This option is shown under Account Maintenance (Cards, Financial, Account). Does anyone know what value should go in the field to allow an account to be included in lookup for all of the 4 choices (Sales, Inventory Control, Purchasing, and Payroll)? The long way around this would be to select each GL account (after...

re-installation of CRM 3.0. Best practice?
Due to extreme slowdown problems, I have decided to re-install CRM, this time on a VMWare image. I will install both the CRM and SQL 2005 on the same image, without touching the current CRM installation (which has become extremely slow, due to an undefined reason). Is there a way to use the existing CRM db as is, or at least migrate it to the new installation? The point is not to lose the data (accounts, contacts, etc.) that we have in our (faulty) CRM system. Similarly, we have Outllook laptop (offline) clients. How can we reconfigure them, so that they point to the new CRM system? Any...

Chopard Happy Sport Diamond 18kt Yellow Gold And Steel Ladies Watch 27/8249-23, Best Wristwatch World
Chopard Happy Sport Diamond 18kt Yellow Gold And Steel Ladies Watch 27/8249-23, Best Wristwatch World Click Here To Website : http://www.watchebay.net/Chopard-Happy-Sport-Diamond-18kt-Yellow-Gold-And-Steel-Ladies-Watch-27-8249-23.html Wristwatch World: http://www.watchebay.net/ Chopard Happy Sport Diamond 18kt Yellow Gold And Steel Ladies Watch 27/8249-23 Information : Brand : Chopard Watches ( http://www.watchebay.net/Chopard-Watches.html ) Gender : Ladies Code : Chopard-27-8249-23-WH Also Called : 27/8249-23 Case Material : 18kt Yellow Gold And Stainl...

What's the best shelf label printer?
Datamax, Zebra, Cognitive, yadda yadda yadda. Who loves their label printing system, and what system are you using? Who hates their label printing system, and what system are you using? What's the best setup for printing grocery store shelf labels? -David We seem to have the best luck with Zebras, we moved off of Cognitive after years of fighting various problems. Casey Hanson New West Technologies ...

Best way to keep financial data secure in M05?
Thinking of getting M05 - do not have previous versions. I am concerned about financial data being compromised. Are there any tips on how to best keep your data secure if you'd like to use the online update of account feature? Step 1: find a bank that supports direct download rather than one that doesn't and thus requires download via Yodlee. "jshofstra" <jshofstra11@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1117975134.899774.87820@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Thinking of getting M05 - do not have previous versions. I am concerned > about financial data being com...

What is best way to migrate 15 users in a remote site from a local to a central server?
Hi, We have a mostly Windows (and Exchange) 2000 network, that is based upon Citrix. We have one site left where they use a local Exchange server, rather than the main one at the HQ. I need to migrate the users onto the centrally based server, and although there are only 15 or so users, the mailboxes can be up to 2 gig in size. We connect to the local site via an ASDL router, so such massive data going across the network is not really an option. I was thinking of egoing to the site, and using the Exmerge utility to save the mailboxes onto a DVD, and then restoring them from disk onto the cent...

Best wishes
-- Best wishes Togtokhbayar.D Head of Administration division in Tamtsag oilfield PetroChina Daqing Tamtsag (Mongolia)LLC MobiNet Phone: (+976) 1698-0008 E-mail: Togtokhbayar@datamo.mn ...

Best Pin pad to use for Debit cards on Vers 1.3 and up
Can someone give me some suggestions on this? Whats the best make and model pin pad to use with RMS? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0A6D_01C7720B.EEA27760 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Jere, There are only 2 officially supported by RMS 1.3; Verifone 1000/1000SE Ingenico i3010 2.0 supports the same plus Ingenico's i6550 device that is a pinpad, = swipe, signature pad and contactless reader all in one. Other pinpads can be used with the TPI Software add-on www.tpisoft.com --=20 Jef...

Best Practice for Products by accounts
I need some advice how to solve following task. We are selling software so I added a product cataloge with all the modules. Whenever a customer buy's our software I want to know which producs (software modules) was bought. I think this could be achived through the products by customer report or with following link to add it directly into a account tab (http://www.mscrmguy.com/hols/showproducts/ ). But what I realy need is to mantaine the version number of the software for update scenarios. Like a customer has bought this and that software module with this and that version. And may...

Omega Constellation 95 Mini Ladies Watch 1466.61, Best Wristwatch World
Omega Constellation 95 Mini Ladies Watch 1466.61, Best Wristwatch World Click Here To Website : http://www.watchebay.net/Omega-Constellation-95-Mini-Ladies-Watch-1466.61.html Wristwatch World: http://www.watchebay.net/ Omega Constellation 95 Mini Ladies Watch 1466.61 Information : Brand : Omega Watches ( http://www.watchebay.net/Omega-Watches.html ) Gender : Ladies Code : omega-constellation-lady-watch-1466-61 Also Called : 1466.61, 1466.61.00, 1466-61, 1466-61-00, 1466/61, 146661, 1466 Case Material : Stainless Steel Case Thickness : 22.5mm D...

Hyper V, SBS 2008, Server 2008, XP
Hi All, I have a a Dell PowerEdge T610 with the following config: 16GB of RAM Dual Quad Core Processors RAID 0 - Two 500gb 10,000 rpm drive (500 gb total) RAID 5 - Three 500gb 7,200 rpm drives (1 terabyte storage total) - with on addition Global Hot Spare drive My question is how best to setup the Windows 2008 Server Hyper OS as well as the Virtual Machines (SBS 2008 Premium, Windows 2008 Server for SQL, & Windows XP) on the Hard Drives and Arrays. My thinking was the following: put the Hyper V OS on the RAID 0 array, on a C: parition 60GB in size. Afterwards, I was thin...

Any affiliates intersted in my offers? the best affiliate program on the web!!!
Hi SUPER-affiliates/ list owners/ promoters/ webmasters, Do you want a great backend product that is selling like crazy this week? My readers are running to get this NEW CONCEPT! I�m selling more this week than I ever did in the past months with any other program. My commissions are climbing very fast. I�m really excited! This is the best ad copy I�ve read in months! It sells. If you haven't felt the shockwave yet, stop everything you are doing and read this to be one of the first promoters. The inner circles of the shockwave are raking in the profits like fury. This will pay us fo...

Practice Database
I am a sys admin not a DBA. But I have come to the conclusion that I need to learn more about SQL 2005 that supports some of our critical info. I don't think we are getting the straight story from our vendor who is managing the database. For example our SQL Server is running an average of over 3000 pages/sec and when I point out that this is awfully high I just get a "so what" shrug. I have a test domain with SQL 2005 installed on one of the servers. Is there a sample or test database that I could import in to use in learning more about SQL 2005? Specifically the...

IM GL transactions detail
I want to import GL transactions by a group dicated by a reference. I want it to automatically choose the JE # but want it grouped per transaction by the "reference field". I tried uploading it but it only took the first one and applied that ref # to all transactions. Any ideas what is going on? THanks, S On May 14, 5:56=A0pm, Sherry <She...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I want to import GL transactions by a group dicated by a reference. I wan= t it > to automatically choose the JE # but want it grouped per transaction by t= he > "reference field"...

GL Historical Trial Balance Subtotal by Month
The GL Historical Trial Balance Net change column is incorrect when Subtotalling by Month or Period on GP 8.0. I see this was reported in Techknowledge 38941. Is this fixed or scheduled to be fixed in a service pack? Thanks. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the mess...

Best Buy credit card & Debt Reduction Planner
How do I get my Household Bank / Best Buy credit card information added to my debt reduction planner? If I made a major purchase on their zero interest financing for 18 months plan, and they only want a very low minimum payment each month until then, then I need to somehow indicate that the remainding balance no matter how high it is, absolutely must be paid by the 18th month. Otherwise, they will go and add on a lot of interest for all of the previous 18 months. When I indicate to Microsoft Money that an intro rate is in effect of 0.0% until May of 2005, then the only option it gives me for ...

format a percentage figure #2
Hi to everyone i have a worksheet where i am retrievine data from access so i bring this data to another worksheet be equation. the number is already as a percentage in the database but it appears like 9,56 (it really means 9,56%) in the worksheet i want to have that number but if i am trying to format it as a percentage it change it to 956 % There is anyway to bring it witha equation but manually to format it and appears like 9,56 % regards bill Hi Bill, Use a Custom form with something like" 0.00" %" I like to use a space before the % sign. Bernard www.stfx.ca/peopl...

Posting setup: Do we want to post to or through GL?
Our invoices and payments aren't showing up in the GL after they have been posted. I looked under the posting setup and we have it setup to post to GL, do I need to change that to post through GL? Most of my clients use Post Through because, if there's a problem, they want to correct it in the subledger and push it through. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Holly" wrote: > Our invoices and payments aren't showing up in the GL after they have been > posted. I looked under the posting setup and we have it setup to post to GL, > do I need to change that to post thr...