GL figures - best practice

what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures so
users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr.

do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a
maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file.

--
Linda W.
0

Linda,

You mean when you are starting up a new company?

If so, unless someone needs the detail imported into GP for other reasons, I
bring in a beginning balance and monthly net changes only.  For example,
let's say you're starting to use GP with January 2009, your fiscal year ends
in December and you want to be able to create monthly comparative statements
that include 2008.  In that case I would bring in the ending balance for
12/31/2007 and monthly net changes for every month in 2008.  I would bring
them in as GL transactions via IM.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"LindaW" <LindaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures
> so
> users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr.
>
> do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a
> maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file.
>

> --
> Linda W.

0
victoria (3340)
4/23/2009 5:26:37 PM
I agree with Victoria.  Import them as GL transactions and post.  Bring in
summary net change "transactions" only unless the customer needs more.
--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Linda,
>
> You mean when you are starting up a new company?
>
> If so, unless someone needs the detail imported into GP for other reasons, I
> bring in a beginning balance and monthly net changes only.  For example,
> let's say you're starting to use GP with January 2009, your fiscal year ends
> in December and you want to be able to create monthly comparative statements
> that include 2008.  In that case I would bring in the ending balance for
> 12/31/2007 and monthly net changes for every month in 2008.  I would bring
> them in as GL transactions via IM.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports
> http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
> blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com
>

> "LindaW" <LindaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures
> > so
> > users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr.
> >
> > do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a
> > maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file.
> >

> > --
> > Linda W.

0
info4071 (3004)
4/23/2009 5:59:00 PM
One more thing, If you going to bring in balances as of 12/31/2007 (as
opposed to 01/01/2008), you will need to perform a year-end closing to roll
over beginning balances to 2008.

Best regards,
--
MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP

"Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:

> I agree with Victoria.  Import them as GL transactions and post.  Bring in
> summary net change "transactions" only unless the customer needs more.
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Linda,
> >
> > You mean when you are starting up a new company?
> >
> > If so, unless someone needs the detail imported into GP for other reasons, I
> > bring in a beginning balance and monthly net changes only.  For example,
> > let's say you're starting to use GP with January 2009, your fiscal year ends
> > in December and you want to be able to create monthly comparative statements
> > that include 2008.  In that case I would bring in the ending balance for
> > 12/31/2007 and monthly net changes for every month in 2008.  I would bring
> > them in as GL transactions via IM.
> >
> > --
> > Victoria Yudin
> > Dynamics GP MVP
> > Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports
> > http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
> > blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com
> >

> > "LindaW" <LindaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures
> > > so
> > > users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr.
> > >
> > > do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a
> > > maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Linda W.

0
MarianoGomez (3440)

Post to GL vs Post Through GL Files
Ok.....a stupid question here. What exactly is the difference is having the boxes checked to Post to GL and Post Through GL Files? Is there any problem with having one vs the other or both of them checked? I would assume that not having the Post Through GL will require you to post each batch to the GL. I am surprised that you can have both boxes checked. In that instance, I am uncertain what would happen. Normally, you would have only one of the boxes checked. (You could also have none of the boxes checked if you don't want to post to the GL. For example, you might unmark these s...

Post To GL flag on Inventory Bchs Yeilds Out of Balance GL!
The Post to GL checkbox on the Inventory Batch Entry screen MUST be defaulted to checked. I have several customers that have been instructed to check this box. In all cases, we have had situations where this box was overlooked. IN ALMOST EVERY CASE, inventory batches need to be posted to GL. In the few situations where this is not desired, a consultant can turn off posting in the setup and delete the financial batches. THIS SWITCH IS NOT NEEDED and is a pothole. Transactions entered and posted without checking this box show in Inventory Transaction Inquiry, affect inventory cou...

Missing Check Batch (Batch not hitting GL)
My client is on GP 8 and this happened 2 times already. Basically they post a batch of computer checks, they are set to post through to GL. They got an error about glpostcleanup and the batch became stuck in Batch Recovery. We 'freed' up the batch but afterwards it is nowhere to be found. The batch is not in Post Checks, not in GL Batches, not in SY00500. In both instances we had to post the checks in Bank Rec to GL. The checks did not hit BR either. This is starting to worry me. GP said to run the special upgrade procedure in GP Utilities and I ran this before my client ...

Transactions Lost Posting to GL
We've been using Great Plains (Dynamics V9) since 9/01/06, and are having some serious problems when posting to GL. In one case, one payment of two vouchers was lost going from A/P to GL. We only print about 30 checks a week, so at the end of the month when we posted to GL and noticed the discrepancy, it was relatively easy to track down the payment that was lost. The Accounting firm that helped with the installation was of no help. Their solution was to create a journal entry, which of course brough GL up to date, but didn't solve the problem. Now this month, we're about $8,000 of...

Figuring sql server version via code
Hi Is it possible to check in .net; 1. If sql server 2008 express is installed on a machine? 2. The name of sql server 2008 express instance or instances? 3. If a particular sql server 2008 express instance contains a specific database? Many Thanks Regards You can use several methods to enumerate SQL Server instances. Here are a couple: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a6t1z9x2.aspx http://www.sqldbatips.com/showarticle.asp?ID=45 To determine whether a specific instance contains a certain database, you can connect to the instance's master databa...

GL Account Setup
While I've gotten my GL setup to post batches correctly to Quickbooks 2003, I'm having trouble with batches that contain any over or short amount in the various tender types. Currently I have one batch in which closing amounts were entered incorrectly for cash and visa/mastercard. While I can create a GL entry in quickbooks basically re-creating the way it "should" post, I can't get RMS to actually post the batch correctly. I have been using the "tender over/short" field and posting to a Cash on Hand account in quickbooks. Any ideas why this wouldn't wor...

how to retrive the exact figures
hi every body ; the problem i have is very important for me to get the solution and i do hope that u all of my friend will help basically we sell the products that contain the serial numbers and all of our business is running on that particular serial number suppose i have keep the record of each product serial number that i sell and i will keep the record of the unsold serial number as well.let me give the example the item i purchased and then some of them sold so what stock will be in my hand then for example : purchases item Quanity Serial Start ...

How to post payroll to the GL in summary & AP to the GL in detail?
We currently have opted to have our Accounts Payable post to the GL in detail (individual transactions with vendor names showing) and that meets our needs. We've recently gone live with payroll in GP 10.0 and we're noticing that the payroll is posting to the GL in detail as well (employee name, gross wages). For confidentiality purposes, we don't want the payroll detail appearing on our standard GL reports. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to allow the AP to post in detail and force the payroll to post in summary? Thanks, Mike L. ...

GL summary inquiry
We would like the scrolling arrow avaialbe on the GL Summary Inquiry window like they are available on the history summary window. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.ms...

Fixed Assets, Depreciation and the GL help please
Hello, I=92m trying to teach myself the Fixed Asset module of GP. I understand how to setup FA, i.e. creating the account groups, assigning the group to asset classes (to assign posting accounts), putting all the assets into a class that need share the same depreciation methods, creating books, adding assets to books and have the book class match the asset class so the asset picks up the depreciation details of the book class, etc. After that I=92m kind of lost. :) So, at each month end I need run depreciation correct? But running depreciation does not integrate into the GL so I ...

Delete a GL Posted
I want to delete a GL posted in the system. HOW TO DO THAT?????????? Consulta, Actually you cannot, but you can rollout the journal to disaffect the one you need to delete. There is always the database modifications workaround, which for sure is not recommended, you can find the Posted GL transactions in GL20000. Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daoud MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Mob: +962 - 79 -999 65 85 Great Package For Business Solutions daoudm@greatpbs.com http://www.greatpbs.com http://mohdaoud.blogspot.com/ "Consulta" wrote: > > I want to delete a GL posted in the syste...

GL Accounts
Does anyone have a working GL List to QB Premier? I keep getting an error that the transactions are not in balance. That won't help you. No two sets of accounts are exactly the same... There are documents on the KB that will help in mapping accounts, but the best advice they offer is to have your accountant or bookeeper available to do this. Get your RMS partner and your Accountant there at the same time and they should be able to get your postings to balance. -- -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ------------------------------...

how do I figure a 15% projected increase of current quotas?
I have entered a formula which figures a 10% projected increase in current quotas. Now I am supposed to change it to a 15% projected increase. I thought if I just changed the number from 1.1 to 1.15 I could get the new numbers, but it didn't work. You may have to provide a little more info perhaps some of your data and results with the actual formula On the face of it changing 1.1 to 1.15 looks correct but we'll wait and see Steve On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:21:02 +0100, Marian = <Marian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have entered a formula which figures a 10% ...

Posting Setup in GL
How do you setup posting so that a separate batch is created in the GL based on audit trail code for the sub ledgers when you are not posting through to general ledger files? Ex: I want to see multiple batches in financial > series post for CMTRX, PMTRX, etc... I'm on version 10 Thanks You need to go to the Posting Setup and change each individual type of transaction you want this for to Create New for If Existing Batch. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions, Inc. "6538" <beach_house1990@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eDWC3bqEIHA.5980@TK2...

need help on updating figures #2
the file is safe but i can understand so i'll try describe it to you. the main part of the sheet shows expenses for developing a web sit with 3 different companies. some of the figures depend on the amount of hits the website has and s i would like to be able to type in somewhere on the sheet the amont o hits and make excel automatically alter the figures for the 3 companie to suit the amount of hits. _for_example__ 1 company charges �3 per hit so when i type in that the website has ha 500 hits i want excel to alter the figure in the spreadsheet to �1500 i hope u can understand, i&...

Help Correcting Sub-ledger Trx: Unposted, Posted TO GL, Posted Thru GL
Hello, I=92m trying to understand the proper way to correct transactions from sub-ledgers depending on the status of the transaction. If you discover a sub-ledger unposted transaction is incorrect within a batch (by printing the edit list), just correct the transaction right there in the sub-ledger prior to posting. No other action is required. Correct? If you post the transaction TO the GL, meaning it=92s in a suspended GL batch that needs to be posted again before it affects the GL, I=92ve read many times you need to go back to the sub-ledger where the trx originated and make the correcti...

Reconcile to GL
We went live 4/1/08 however the consultant never told us about the Reconcile to GL feature. It's now the end of August and we are trying to reconcile however the excel file never finishes. I keep getting the error EXCEPTION_CLASS_OBJECT_EXCEPTION. MS IT said to install SP2. Has anyone else had this problem? ANyone know other ways to reconcile the unmatched? Natasha, you do have to install SP2, which includes the Feature Pack that enables the Reconcile to GL feature. The Reconcile to GL feature will HELP you reconcile to GL. It doesn't do the reconciliation for you, it matches t...

Tally the figures acquired from the same date
Hi, I am working on a spreadsheet with electricity meter reading throughout a year. The reading were taken multiple times on one day. I tried everything i know to works out the monthly average of the electricity usage but i failed. I managed to flag the day and month on each figure and thats as far as I go so far. Can anyone think of a formula to do the task. An extract of the spreadsheet: day Mth Yr Time V_Ave_PC6 9 9 2008 18:00:00 244.3 9 9 2008 18:30:00 243.4 9 9 2008 19:00:00 243.7 9 9 2008 19:30:00 241.9 9 9 2008 20:00:00 242.6 10 9 2008 20:30:00 242.4 10 9 2008 21:00:00...

Posting at GL
I=B4ve posted a transaction in Sales. Then, I posted it in GL, but ... How can I notice which is the number of the journal entry that is associated with that transaction? Best regards, Ingrid Go to Inquiry > Financial > Detail and select your sales account to perform an inquiry on. This will show you the journal entries for that account. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Ingrid" wrote: > I´ve posted a transaction in Sales. Then, I posted it in GL, but ... > How can I notice whi...

Autobudget figures way out
Money 2003 I've been trying to use Autobudget to help create a budget, but the values it's returned are way out and result in a budget that show I'm spending much more than I have been. A closer look at the transactions it's based its figures on shows that it appears to take occasional expenses that have occurred within a given month and create a monthly figure of a similar amount without taking into account the months where there is no spending. This seems unbelievably crude way to calculate budget figures and I'm sure there must be something I'm not taking into acc...

Practicing to make a booklet
Publisher 2002 SP3..... Mail Merge from .wdb. There are 281 names, addresses, etc. etc. for a class reunion book. I have 4 names on a page, usually. So I set it up with a table insert (shoot, is that what it's called? the icon on the upper left <g>) Actually I did it with 4 of them on a page. Then I added the necessary info...Last names, Names Initials, Address, City St Zip, Phone, etc. Problem....when I want to edit each item, I cannot do it. What am I missing here? Glad I have until July to figure this out with all of your help. I do have to say that when I went to...

GP client using McKesson's Horizon Practice Plus
I have an existing GP client that is also using McKesson's Horizon Practice Plus. They would like to find another GP client that is using this practice management and discuss AR integration. Please forward info to jborn@osullivancreel.com. thanks, John ...

FA Year End should move GL YTD Depreciation to GL Prior Year Depr
When creating a Fixed Asset you enter two GL accounts, one to store the YTD Depreciation and one for the Prior Year Deprecation. When the FA Year End is run it would be logical to move the values from the GL YTD account to the GL Prior Year account and clear YTD. This would relieve the user of having to journal the values from one GL account to another for each FA. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see...

I Need help figuring out a sports formula
OK,I have managed to figure out a few sports formulas,like QB Ratings,winning pct & batting avgs,but there is a formula I cant figure out how to do.It has to do with Standings,its the Games Behind First I need to figure out,what I need for it to work is this W L PCT GB (Team 1) 5 - 0 1.000 - - (Team 2) 4 - 1 .800 1.0 (Team 3) 4 - 2 .667 1.5 Subtract Team 1 losses from Team 2 which equals 1 Subtract Team 2 Wins from Team 1 which equals 1 since both numbers are the same it should stay at 1 or 1.0 Now Subtract Team 1 losses from Team 3 which equals...

Invoices not posted to GL
In the process of creating a P&L Report in Crystal, we discovered that there's a list of about 600 transactions in SOP and RCV modules which ARE NOT located in the GL. We've tracked down that they have the following common characteristics: Batch Source = *Sales Entry Document Status = Posted Also, they are not stuck in the Master Posting section since all our transactions post through the GL. Any ideas how we can trick the system into posting those transactions to the GL? If I changed them all to "Unposted" would they appear somewhere where we could post them...