getting more columns and data onto one page in Crystal

Hello:

Since you can only place so much data onto a "piece of paper", likely the 
answer is "no".

But, even after choosing "Landscape" in Crytal (10.0), there's not a way of 
getting as many columns of data onto a report as I want--is there?  Ideally, 
I'd like to get 14 columns on there but am running out of room on the right.

Also, I have placed a cross-tab on my report that prints on multiple pages 
instead of just one.  Of course, since the cross-tab has 83 rows of data, my 
guess is that there is nothing that I can do about this either.  Is there?

childofthe1980s
0
12/7/2008 3:43:00 PM
greatplains 29623 articles. 5 followers. Follow

4 Replies
651 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 56

Child,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but typically when I see reports with 
this many columns, the problem is not the report, but more likely the users 
and their expectations. When you require this much data to be displayed on a 
report that's when you know that, in the first place, a report is not the 
best way to go about the information you are trying to display.

Have you considered SQL Server Analysis Services and building a data 
warehouse? Have you considered perhaps, a report with drill-down 
capabilities? Excel may not be such a bad idea for rendering this information 
either, after all, it supports cross-tabs, pivot tables, and extensive 
columns and can be used to print specific sections of interest.

Just a few thoughts.

Best regards,
--
MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
Maximum Global Business, LLC
http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com


"childofthe1980s" wrote:

> Hello:
> 
> Since you can only place so much data onto a "piece of paper", likely the 
> answer is "no".
> 
> But, even after choosing "Landscape" in Crytal (10.0), there's not a way of 
> getting as many columns of data onto a report as I want--is there?  Ideally, 
> I'd like to get 14 columns on there but am running out of room on the right.
> 
> Also, I have placed a cross-tab on my report that prints on multiple pages 
> instead of just one.  Of course, since the cross-tab has 83 rows of data, my 
> guess is that there is nothing that I can do about this either.  Is there?
> 
> childofthe1980s
0
MarianoGomez (3440)
12/7/2008 5:24:02 PM
Thanks, Mariano!

childofthe1980s

"Mariano Gomez" wrote:

> Child,
> 
> I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but typically when I see reports with 
> this many columns, the problem is not the report, but more likely the users 
> and their expectations. When you require this much data to be displayed on a 
> report that's when you know that, in the first place, a report is not the 
> best way to go about the information you are trying to display.
> 
> Have you considered SQL Server Analysis Services and building a data 
> warehouse? Have you considered perhaps, a report with drill-down 
> capabilities? Excel may not be such a bad idea for rendering this information 
> either, after all, it supports cross-tabs, pivot tables, and extensive 
> columns and can be used to print specific sections of interest.
> 
> Just a few thoughts.
> 
> Best regards,
> --
> MG.-
> Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> Maximum Global Business, LLC
> http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com
> 
> 
> "childofthe1980s" wrote:
> 
> > Hello:
> > 
> > Since you can only place so much data onto a "piece of paper", likely the 
> > answer is "no".
> > 
> > But, even after choosing "Landscape" in Crytal (10.0), there's not a way of 
> > getting as many columns of data onto a report as I want--is there?  Ideally, 
> > I'd like to get 14 columns on there but am running out of room on the right.
> > 
> > Also, I have placed a cross-tab on my report that prints on multiple pages 
> > instead of just one.  Of course, since the cross-tab has 83 rows of data, my 
> > guess is that there is nothing that I can do about this either.  Is there?
> > 
> > childofthe1980s
0
12/7/2008 5:33:00 PM
14 columns is very much doable, yes!  There are limitations.

I don't suppose you could limit each column to 3-4 characters of data...ok, no

But in Crystal, you can set the font size to 9, or 8, or even 6 or 4 point 
type.  Yes, the smaller the type size the harder it is to read but you can 
get the 14 columns in landscape mode.

You can also use legal sized paper if the printer supports it giving you 14 
inches of space and allowing larger fonts.

Personally, I have put 26 usable columns on a report (12 months, this year, 
last year, and totals)
-- 
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
Documentation for Software Users

Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at 
http://www.AccoladePublications.com



"childofthe1980s" wrote:

> Hello:
> 
> Since you can only place so much data onto a "piece of paper", likely the 
> answer is "no".
> 
> But, even after choosing "Landscape" in Crytal (10.0), there's not a way of 
> getting as many columns of data onto a report as I want--is there?  Ideally, 
> I'd like to get 14 columns on there but am running out of room on the right.
> 
> Also, I have placed a cross-tab on my report that prints on multiple pages 
> instead of just one.  Of course, since the cross-tab has 83 rows of data, my 
> guess is that there is nothing that I can do about this either.  Is there?
> 
> childofthe1980s
0
info4071 (3004)
12/7/2008 5:47:01 PM
Thank you, Richard!

childofthe1980s

"Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:

> 14 columns is very much doable, yes!  There are limitations.
> 
> I don't suppose you could limit each column to 3-4 characters of data...ok, no
> 
> But in Crystal, you can set the font size to 9, or 8, or even 6 or 4 point 
> type.  Yes, the smaller the type size the harder it is to read but you can 
> get the 14 columns in landscape mode.
> 
> You can also use legal sized paper if the printer supports it giving you 14 
> inches of space and allowing larger fonts.
> 
> Personally, I have put 26 usable columns on a report (12 months, this year, 
> last year, and totals)
> -- 
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> Documentation for Software Users
> 
> Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at 
> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
> 
> 
> 
> "childofthe1980s" wrote:
> 
> > Hello:
> > 
> > Since you can only place so much data onto a "piece of paper", likely the 
> > answer is "no".
> > 
> > But, even after choosing "Landscape" in Crytal (10.0), there's not a way of 
> > getting as many columns of data onto a report as I want--is there?  Ideally, 
> > I'd like to get 14 columns on there but am running out of room on the right.
> > 
> > Also, I have placed a cross-tab on my report that prints on multiple pages 
> > instead of just one.  Of course, since the cross-tab has 83 rows of data, my 
> > guess is that there is nothing that I can do about this either.  Is there?
> > 
> > childofthe1980s
0
12/7/2008 10:20:01 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Crystal Report Writer Needed for Central Florida Assignment
A Central Florida client has about 300 Crystal reports that need to be modified in the next 3-4 weeks. We are looking for a consultant that can be onsite to work with the clients for testing and approval. If interested, email a brief resume on you, availability information, and rate requirements to me at rwhaley@ibgnet.com -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com ...

VLookup to Hide Columns
Hi everyone - I'm still trying to figure out how to perform this one. Within my Timesheet tool, I use a VLookup table, on a data entry page, that contains employee names, departments, etc...... Also on the data entry page, are a number of columns (designated with specific housing programs) where the employee enters their daily hours depending on which program they work in. The thing is that certain employees only work in certain programs where it would be easier if the program columns that the employee does not deal with will "hide" once the employee chooses their names from th...

i get error 404 not found when trying to download
I'm trying to download nokia pc suite to windows xp to upload gallery onto the computer but get error message404 not found - how can i download this pc suite please -- Krysy Albutt Krysy Albutt wrote: > I'm trying to download nokia pc suite to windows xp to upload gallery > onto the computer but get error message404 not found - how can i > download this pc suite please Care to enlighten us how this pertains to: - 1) Microsoft 2) Publisher 3) Windows If you're having problems downloading from the *NOKIA* site where do you think you should be directing your ...

How to get Calendar to send me reminders
I have changed my e-mail address but for some reason I cannot get Calendar to send reminders to my new address - I think I have carried out all that is necessary to effect the changover but I am not getting reminders sent. Can anyone help please? Is the Calendar Live ID based and accessible at Calendar.live.com ? -- ....winston ms-mvp mail "Dabardevon" wrote in message = news:FDC2B3B2-EDE4-41B1-BFC4-C0F9ED59CFB9@microsoft.com... I have changed my e-mail address but for some reason I cannot get = Calendar to send reminders to my new address - I think I have...

Q: How to automatically adapt column width with XML format?
Hi. I'm developing an application that outputs its results to an XML file (with Excel XP's DTD). The trouble is the column width, which is set at default. Is there an XML tag which allow to adapt width automatically? I thought about a VBA macro, but I noticed that VBA code isn't stored in XML Excel's files. Thanks in advance, Francesco. ...

Some recipients get the attachment, some get winmail.dat
This one has me baffled. We are using Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000 and have been for 8 months. No previous problems with attachments (.doc, .xls, .jpg). About 2 weeks ago, we started hearing from certain recipients that the attachment wasn't arriving; instead they were getting an unreadable file called winmail.dat. MS says that this is because the sender is using Rich Text to format the email. We have changed the senders to use Plain Text and still have the same problem. If the email is sent to several recipients, some will get the attachment fine, some will not. This didn'...

How to get the CScrollBar's Handle in CTreeCtrl?
Hey,All: I thought I have a problem when I trid to get the CScrollBar's handle from my CTreeCtrl extended handle. Can anybody tell me whether I can get the handle of the CScrollBar from the CTreeCtrl? Thanks in advance! Carl :-| Carl wrote: > Hey,All: > > I thought I have a problem when I trid to get the CScrollBar's handle from > my CTreeCtrl extended handle. > Can anybody tell me whether I can get the handle of the CScrollBar from the > CTreeCtrl? > > Thanks in advance! > Carl > :-| > > Sorry, it is not that simple. The scroll bars that...

Keeping data without losing Formula's
I have a worksheet (named monthly) with a column of data under a certain month (which will change each time data is entered - stocktake). However this column needs to be edited each month and has formula's in it so it will work (not always the same data in the column). I decided to put this data into a yearly sheet under the particular month. The only way I can do it at the moment is to copy and paste special. How do I (or is there a way to) put this data in a sheet that has all the months but under the month that is signified. In other words I don't want formula's in the yearl...

A Crystal Beginner
I am using Crystal 9.2.4.77 and have loaded the Crystal enhancements. Now I want to do against the CRM database. What do I do? I thought I would create a data source to the CRM SQLserver, which I did, then connect to it through Crystal Reports. That works, but when I drill down on the AAA_MSCRM database to choose my tables, it shows me dbo as the only option (where did this come from??) and under that are just a few generic tables. No CRM tables. Something's not quite right. What am I missing? file - log on to aps server "KBLawson" <klawson@aetinc.com> wrote in ...

Restrict spreadsheet to data entry only
Fairly new to Excel. Once I've set up the structure of my spreadsheet, and entered the formulae for calculated cells etc, how can I ensure that the spreadsheet is used just for data entry and that the structure cannot be altered in any way? TIA You can use protection. You need to go to every cell you want for data entry and unprotect tha cell. You can select multiple cells... right mouse click... Then hi format cells... The last tab says protection, select it and click th check box to unprotect these items. Now you can then in the menu bar hit Tools... Protection... and the Protect...

Static Range, Dynamic Chart Data
I have read some great tips on making my chart dynamic that involv changing the range. The chart I would like to create is a 12 month lin chart. I want the chart to always be 12 months in length, but the poin to simply not be plotted if the value of the cell "blank". In othe words, stop the line short of the end of the plot area. The 12 months of charted cells have a formula lik =IF(A1=0,"",SUM(A1:A6)). So you see a blank cell if A1 is 0. But th chart shows this as a zero value. If I delete the contents the char does what I would like. Is there a way to simply change the ...

Cannot get fast forward or fast reverse to work with WMP 11
I am running Vista Home Premium on a HP G 217-EM Notebook which comes pre-installed with Windows Media Player 11. When I play cds and try to fast forward or fast reverse by keeping the fast forward or fast reverse buttons constantly depressed nothing happens. Why is this, and can anyone come up with a solution? Many thanks This doesn't work on my system either, so it's probably just a limitation of WMP. Fast forward and fast reverse should work fine when you rip the CD's to MP3 or WMA files, and play these files instead. Regards -- Tim De Baets http://www....

Excel VBA / Data Sorting / Maniputaltion
i have a long list, which i imported from other data base. The problem is: 1. In each cell, besides data (data is in alphabates) there are som numeric characters which i dont want . How can i get rid of all those unwanted numbers from data, from all th list? 2. The data is in every second row, ie. one row is empty. How can i Delete those empty/blank rows from the list -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com 1. I think we will need to see a sample of your data 2. Sort the data -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I am sending the sample data file... ...

how can I find out trace dependents on other pages
I want to find out trace dependents, how can I find out trace dependents on other pages? -- PETER After clicking Tools > Formula Auditing > Trace Precedents/Dependents, if you were to double-click on the dotted arrow that points to a mini sheet icon, that'll bring up a "Go To" dialog to navigate to either the precedent(s) / dependent(s) -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "Peter" <peter.oellinger@t-online.de> wrote in message news:7280B569-F4B6-4EB4-A79A-6852BAF7949E@microsoft.com... >I want to find out trace depen...

Get paid while you get online!!
I found a great Internet company - Cashfiesta.com - that has created a product everyone can benefit from. They pay you while you work or play on your computer. All you need to do is keep their software - the FiestaBar=99 - active while you are online. They even pay you when your friends are using their computers. Unlike other companies, Cashfiesta gives you control over how much money you earn. They have an individual payrate based on the number of Special Offers you sign up for. As some of these offers are free, you can increase your payrate up to 33 times without spending a penny. It's...

Can't get auto-update (update) to install
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC I've been trying to manually check for updates to Word 2008, and I get a &quot;critical update&quot; notice, asking me to install auto-update. When I try to install it, I cannot. It just keeps repeating the attempt, in an &quot;endless loop.&quot; What to do? <br> Thank you. ...

Spreadsheet getting corrupted
Hello All: I have a relatively large spreadsheet. I am getting errors (see after my signature line). What could be causing these errors? Is it that the spreadsheet is too large? Thanks Deguza -------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Office Excel File Repair Log Errors were detected in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\deguza\My Documents\sales\Sales_2006_2007.xls' The following is a list of repairs: Global PivotTable report information was repaired due to integrity problems. Global PivotTable report information was repaired due to integrity problems. Glo...

Columns Compare and Row Insertion Alignment
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice WCF Workflow Services Using External Data Exchange http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/3d49fa0d-a120-4977-842a-6dafb17b6d74/wcf-workflow-services-usi.aspx ...

Reg getting the next IV Document Number field !
Hi, I am creating a window in dexterity similar to the item transaction entry window (Transactions>Inventory> Transaction Entry). In the Item transaction Entry window, the Document number field defaults to the next document number when we move the focus to that field. I wanted to know if there is any function , or table that i can access to get the next document number in the new window that i am creating. Thanks, swetha -- swetha >In the Item transaction Entry window, the Document number field defaults to the next document number when we move the focus to that field.< T...

How do I get??
Sorry if this seems a fairly easy question to you guys. I have a spreadsheet and I need to get the current system time into a cell. The format of the time is hh:mm am/pm. Any assistance would be most helpful. Hi try =INT(NOW()) in this cell and format is to your needs -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany PM wrote: > Sorry if this seems a fairly easy question to you guys. > > I have a spreadsheet and I need to get the current system time into a > cell. The format of the time is hh:mm am/pm. > > Any assistance would be most helpful. PM, in the cell you want pu...

How to export fixed length records to a data file.
I'm creating a query for our school using the school district's standard student data format. All fields are fixed width. For example the WhiteEthnicFg field is exactly one character of either "Y" or "N". In our database we record that field as a Boolean. The Date-of-Birth District's field is an 8 character field in the format mmddyyyy. Most fields are fixed width 'Char' fields, but I don't know how to make the output match the correct width. There are decimal fields 'with one implied decimal point'. Example: 0000100 will result ...

Need to change data entered into cell. HELP ASAP!!
I have a list of over 7000 unique numbers (i.e. 123 or 77- 123). I need to add the letters "MH" in front of each number. Is there an easier way to do this than to click and edit each individual cell manually? Please help, anyone have any suggestions? Lots of thanks in advance. Hi one way (if you only have numbers): use acustom format : "MH"0 another way: in the adjacent column in row one (lets say in B1) enter the formula ="MH" & A1 copy this formula down After this select column B and copy the contents (CTRL+C). goto 'Edit - Paste Special' a...

Get notified when Out of Office is on
I am using Outlook 2007. With 2003, when returning from leave, I used to get a notification that the Outlook out of office was still on and asking me if I wanted to switch it off. This reminder no longer appears with 2007. How can I switch this setting on so that I get the notification? "Mary Ann" <MaryAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED5533A7-D0EA-41B8-B1A0-A9D15FB6FD98@microsoft.com... >I am using Outlook 2007. With 2003, when returning from leave, I used to get > a notification that the Outlook out of office was still on and asking me ...

Getting Control ID in Active X control
GetWindowLong return 0. You need to call GetDlgCtrlID from outside the activex control as the function available within the control returns an arbitrary value of zero. Take a look at this article http://xendra.ens.uabc.mx/~sinfante/loo/libro/ch17_4.htm particularly the paragraph preceeding the title "MFC and Ambient Properties". This really begs the question why you want the ID in the first place as activex controls have to be fully self containing to operate - with a few exceptions where sibling controls need to be able to locate each other. - Tim "ytv" <...

over VPN, it gets stuck when sending outgoing email
When I use VPN to connect to work from home, the outlook can not finish sending outgoing emails. The progress bar moves to the end but then stops there forever. It can never finish. The receiving of new incoming emails work fine. All other network functionality works, e.g. internet browsing, telnet, ftp, etc, all work fine. My system is win2k. I use linksys wireless DSL router. I'd appreciate any hint! Are you using Exchange server? I'd set up your mail profile to prompt you to work offline or online - when using VPN, work offline with scheduled syncs. If not using exchange, pos...