Fabrication and GP

I need to know how to process a transaction in GP. We are a sales -
distribution center. We do some light fabrication. We need to find a way in
GP to take one part or more parts, do fabrication work with them, then put
them back into the system as a new part. For example, we take drum rollers
and send them to a local fabricator who drills holes in them, inserts
"brushes", then sends them back to us as a brush roller.  They charge us for
labor and the additional material and we have a new part.

Currently, we either treat it as a parts sale / purchase. That part is
clean, but a hassle and lots of extra paperwork which is a burden to the
small local fabricators. The other route we do is send the part to the
fabricator and do an inventory adjustment out of our system an write off the
part cost to a special materials account setup for this. Then, we get the
part back and purchase at the cost of labor and additional materials. This
incorrectly reflects our cost since it does not include the cost of the
roller. Anyway, we just need to have a better way of doing this and help
would be great. TIA!
0
AllenMc (95)

Allen,

Take a look at the Bill of Material Assembly functionality that is
available as part of the Inventory module.  I believe it is an
optional purchase but it will allow you to create a bill of material
for the finished item that contains the drum roller and the outside
service as components of the BOM.  Issue a PO for the outside service
and after you do the receipt of the service, you use the Assembly
Transaction to convert the drum roller and the outside service into
the finished product.

The Assembly Transaction decrements the quantity on hand of the drum
roller and the outside service and increments the quantity on hand of
the finished good and does all the costing for you.

I have a procedure in Word I wrote for a client, along with screen
shots for this process.  I'd be happy to email a copy of it to you if
you contact me via my website.

Hope this helps,

Frank Hamelly
MCP-GP, MCT, MVP
East Coast Dynamics
www.eastcoast-dynamics.com

0
fhamelly1 (1404)

Going Live with GP

Migrating data from GP to GP

GP concurrent user and SQL 2005 CAL

Fabrication and GP

GP 10.0: Detail inquiries have incorrect or missing data
When running a detail inquiry for a bank account, the data is incorrect and/or incomplete. For example, the payables transactions I posted yesterday do not appear in the detail inquiry but they do appear when I run a transaction by vendor inquiry from the purchasing module. Has anyone had a similar problem? Brent, Can you be more specific? What are the exact window names (and navigation to get to them) you are visiting to verify this information? What Payable transactions are we talking about? Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.m...

Printing on Wide format Canvas and Cotton 100% fabric
Dear All I hope you don't mind me posting here but I was wanting to know if anyone uses wide format printers for their photos. We have just imported from Japan a very unusual kind of cotton canvas and a real cotton fabric which can be used in wide format printers. The Cotton Canvas is not coated and that is what makes if different. It has been made using a dipped method so it keeps its softness. This means that the image cannot be scratched off and you can stretch it over stretchers and it will not crack. The Cotton fabric can be printed and it can produce a brilliant effect softer than c...

SmartList Access (GP 7.5)
Other than the Flashlight icon, is there another way to launch the SmartList window? I have a user who doesn't have that flashlight icon on her GP screen and she needs access to it. (I wasn't the one who set up GP for her.) Is it possible that GP was installed without the module that has the SmartList? Would appreciate help. Thanks. -- David T. You could add a Smartlist favourite to her shorcuts (Add > Smartlist favourite), which will then open up Smartlist (will select the favourite, but entire Smartlist window opens as well). >-----Original Message----- >Othe...

The company always pays attention to the quality of its undergarments so that they conform to international standards. All these stuffs are made from materials of exceptionally softest fabrics. The
The company always pays attention to the quality of its undergarments so that they conform to international standards. All these stuffs are made from materials of exceptionally softest fabrics. The Button Fly Boxer Brief, Pro Stretch Boxer Brief, 365 Fashion Trunk and 365 Color Trunk are some of its offing that gives you a distinct identity. At the same time, it won=92t create a heavy financial burden on you, because at 1underwearstore.com, availing these popular stuffs is unbelievably cheap. http://www.shoesbootjeans.com http://www.shoesbootjeans.com/Replica_Mens%20Shoes_1.html http://www.s...

Downgrade from GP Pro to GP Standard
We are exploring the possibility of downgrading our current Dynamics GP install (v9.0) from the Professional edition to the Standard edition (I guess it is referred to now as Business Essentials). We have identified the modules/functionality that we will lose and are assessing our needs. Of greater concern at the moment is data integrity if we move forward with the downgrade. Has anyone downgraded? What kind of fallout might we encounter with data integrity, especially as is relates to historical receivables transactions involving parent & child(ren) using National Accounts? -- ...

GP and active Directory
Hi, does anybody know about a solution to integrate GP and Active directory thank you On Oct 1, 7:46 pm, "SAL" <serg...@sega.com.gt> wrote: > Hi, does anybody know about a solution to integrate GP and Active directory > > thank you configurator with the AD add on from FastPath http://www.gofastpath.com Mark (DynamicAccounting.net) http://www.dynamicaccounting.net ------=_NextPart_0001_3B46E6B8 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, Thanks for posting to Newsgroups. While there is not a Microsoft-created solution for integrating the...

Redirect BusinessPortal & GP WebServices to another GP Database
Hi, I installed Business Portal 4 & Gp Web Services 10 on a server. Currently, it's using a test GP database. Everything works well. Now, we would like to reconfigure this Business Portal & Web Services installation to use the live database. I know how to move a GP database to a new server, but now I want to move to a database that doesn't have objects created by Business Portal or Web Services setups. What's the best way to create these objects in the live database? Thank you. ...

how to restore v7.5 GP DB into a 9.0 company
Hello, We use a backup company in our system for testing purposes. From time to time we restore a recent backup of our live company into it. Sometimes though, we restore an old backup into it in order to view the status of the company prior to some change or another. We are just now upgrading to 9.0 from 7.5. The upgrade is going onto a new server and most issues have been resolved. One issue I have not figured out is as follows. Let's say that a month into running 9.0 we realize something is funky in our GL. We decide to take a look at things as they were from a couple months before the...

Modifier with VBA in GP 9.0
Hi all .. I am 8 months old in the Greate Plains......Now i want to write a certification on "Modifier with VBA in GP 9.0". Plz anyone can give suggestions,tips etc to me to pass the exam. I have only one manual which will come with GP installation.Is it enough ? If any body have any other document or article let me know.. Thank you all, Begginer in Dynamics Vijay Kumar Kashetty If you are customersource / Partnersource then you will have access to training material from your above accounts that is a best reference to prepare for you exams, but still the manual which come...

Adding Fabric to our Inventory
Hello, We are running GP 7.5 and are adding fabric to our inventory. I am looking for suggestions as to the best way to do this. Fabric comes on bolts that can vary in size. Not all manufacturers use a SKU. fabric will come in limited runs, so once a bolt is finished, that item number may not be used again. We need a description that includes the manufacturer, style and color. I believe we need a unique item number for each bolt. We have over a thousand bolts to import. Has anyone had experience with this? Any suggestions on a system that would be manageable for this task? Thanks -- Tom...

GP 8 Analyses Cubes
Evaluating Analyses Cubes for Excel module in Fabrikam and am having some problems generating excel pivot from GP. Able to get the data by using Excel Add-In, so I guess everything is fine the OLAP db and cubes. In GP, from Excel Pivot Table Creator window am able to connect to the server, get the list of cubes, dimensions and measures, but when I want to generate the pivot or save the definition I get the: Unhandled object exception: Initialization of the data source failed.Check the database server or contact your database administrator. Make sure the external database is available, ...

Payroll
Has anyone done a conversion from Achieve Payroll to GP? We have a client that is looking for a reference. ...

Non GP Postings in this group
------=_NextPart_0001_702775AE Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi All I just wanted to let you know that we are looking into the reasons why we are getting a large number of windows related postings. We noticed one possible cause. We found a way that you can create a new post and the discussion group is selected via a drop down list. In that list the Dynamics GP and Dynamics GP Developer groups are called GP General Discussions and GP Developer. Some people might think that the GP stands for Group Policy rather than Great Plains. I have asked for the names in ...

Fabricating Cell Address
Hello everyone. I need your help. I am programmatically determine the coordinates of needed cell. For example, I am interested in "=R18C3" But R18 was found using "=MATCH(""ITEM_ID"",C[-1],0) + 3" THIS EQUALS to 18. So, I know that my desired cell located in row 18. Is there a way in Excel 97, to concatenate or join this two together. I tried �=R[(MATCH(""ITEM_ID"",C[-1],0) + 3)C[1]�. But it does not work. I also tried =R&[ MATCH(""ITEM_ID"",C[-1],0) + 3}&C[1]� Is there a way to fabricate the cell a...

Lookups with Modifier/VBA in GP 9.0
I have a need to place a Vendor ID on the item card (client requirement - not mine). I have no problems defining a field to hold it, or storing and retrieving via VBA/DUOS. I am running into trouble because I want to make a lookup button to link to this so the user can select the Vendor ID from a list. But it seems lookup buttons are not part of what Modifier does. Am I missing something, or am I going to have to do something more with VBA (like ADO) to roll my own lookup form? Thanks To solve this problem try this. Define a global variable to hold the selected vendor id. Create a re...

Commission Income in GP
We work with several suppliers to negotiate contracts on behalf of our customers. Our customers, may or may not buy items from these suppliers at a discounted rates that we have negotiated. These suppliers pay us quarterly commission on purchases made by our customers. We, in turn pay, some of these commission back to our customers and retain portion of it. In addition to this, we provide several other services to our customers, that is usually billed directly on an invoice. We want to also recognize revenue before quarterly payment by our suppliers - usually this revenue ...

GP will not start
All of our users currently use remote desktop to access Great Plains. Today, several people were logged and working when the program started hanging. Now, no one can even login - the program hangs before the login prompt. In addition, FrX at the same time started getting the following error when trying to run a report: Couldn't get printer information. Make sure you have a default printer. When we use the remote desktop to go to a different computer to use GP, everything seems to work fine. Has anyone ever seen this or have a clue what might be causing this? Laura Laura, It ...

E-mail just stopped working in GP
We currently use GP 8, on a Win2k3 TS server, along with Adobe 7.0 Pro on that box as well. For months users have been able to e-mail PDF's with out a hitch, now over the last few days the users can't and neither can the Administrator's account. Any IDEAS on why this just suddenly stopped???? Al, Are they getting an error message? -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C0E745D-D84E-4A82-A97D-03E6F7698DA6@microsoft.com... > We currently use GP 8, on a Win2k3 TS server, along with Adobe 7.0 Pro on &g...

Dynamics GP From MSDN
Hello all.... I'm trying to set up the evaluation of Dynamics GP 10.0 from MSDN. I have everything up and running, but how am I supposed to enter the Registration Numbers from MSDN for the modules? If I go to Registration and enter the keys, they come back as invalid keys. Any ideas? Thanks... Jeff G ------=_NextPart_0001_AB74E869 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, Thanks for posting to Newsgroups. With registration key issues, we do have to test them here. I advise opening a support case to have them test the registration keys (which is non-c...

GP should allow one purchase order for multiple companies
GP Purchasing needs a way to enter one purchase order for multiple companies or to allow intercompany transactions. Purchasing has to split up their purchase orders by company and enter multiple purchase orders in GP - a separate purchase order in each company. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click ...