Export / Import Security

Ok, so I have setup my test environment again. Now I have to create security
all over from scratch to define what will be used in production. Is there a
way to export from the test environment and then import it into the newly
upgraded installation? In both cases security has been/will be completely
removed from the 8.0 install (restored on new server) before being upgraded
to version 10.
0
AllenMc (95)

Dear,

Security will be upgraded upon upgrading GP from GP 8.0 SP5 to GP 10.0.
Converting the Security structure from GP 8.0 to 10.0 will not be an easy
task.

Regards,
--
Mohammad R. Daoud
MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS

"AllenMc" wrote:

> Ok, so I have setup my test environment again. Now I have to create security
> all over from scratch to define what will be used in production. Is there a
> way to export from the test environment and then import it into the newly
> upgraded installation? In both cases security has been/will be completely
> removed from the 8.0 install (restored on new server) before being upgraded
> to version 10.
------=_NextPart_0001_8F1CBF53

You can convert security from v8 or v9 to v10 but this just makes a copy of the original security on a per user basis and does not
leverage the new v10 pessimistic role/task based security model.

I recommend taking the opportunity to re-do security to work with the new model.

If you need to copy from a v10 test environment to a v10 live environment, you can use the Suppport Debugging Tool to transfer the
files (they are listed in the KB below). Just use the XML Export and XML Import windows to transfer the settings across between the
systems.

https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;951229

Look here for info on the Support Debugging Tool

http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/11/06/are-you-using-the-support-debugging-tool.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/07/30/support-debugging-tool-for-microsoft-dynamics-gp.aspx

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP

http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics

http://blogs.msdn.com/DevelopingForDynamicsGP

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.

------=_NextPart_0001_8F1CBF53

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang3081{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fprq2\fcharset0 MS Sans Serif;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 You can convert security from v8 or v9 to v10 but this just makes a copy of the original security on a per user basis and does not leverage the new v10 pessimistic role/task based security model.
\par
\par I recommend taking the opportunity to re-do security to work with the new model.
\par
\par If you need to copy from a v10 test environment to a v10 live environment, you can use the Suppport Debugging Tool to transfer the files (they are listed in the KB below). Just use the XML Export and XML Import windows to transfer the settings across between the systems.
\par
\par https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;951229
\par
\par Look here for info on the Support Debugging Tool
\par
\par http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/11/06/are-you-using-the-support-debugging-tool.aspx
\par
\par http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/07/30/support-debugging-tool-for-microsoft-dynamics-gp.aspx
\par
\par David Musgrave [MSFT]
\par Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
\par Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific
\par
\par Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)
\par http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics
\par
\par mailto:David.Musgrave@online.microsoft.com
\par http://blogs.msdn.com/DevelopingForDynamicsGP
\par
\par Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
\par
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_8F1CBF53--

0
dmusgrav7144 (312)
11/6/2008 9:41:00 AM
Thank you David. I will look at this today. The "optimistic" logic used in 8
really sucks when it comes to having people that we can not be optimistic
about. Also, since the original implementation, we have had several changes
in user naming conventions so I want that to sync with the new and final
corporate policy of first.last.  So, what I am going to do is to setup the
new system (via test environment) with all the tasks and roles then assign
them to the new user accounts. Of course I just need to find a way to save
this out of the test environment before I rebuild it for the new environment.
The original is a couple of years old (hardware) but same model just little
lower processor specs and has sat in an unairconditioned room operating at
105 degrees or higher for 8 months before I got here and bought some portable
air conditioners. The old system will then be rebuilt and database regularly
sync'd from production backups for testing and emergency purposes.

Thanks again.

"David Musgrave [MSFT]" wrote:

> You can convert security from v8 or v9 to v10 but this just makes a copy of the original security on a per user basis and does not
> leverage the new v10 pessimistic role/task based security model.
>
> I recommend taking the opportunity to re-do security to work with the new model.
>
> If you need to copy from a v10 test environment to a v10 live environment, you can use the Suppport Debugging Tool to transfer the
> files (they are listed in the KB below). Just use the XML Export and XML Import windows to transfer the settings across between the
> systems.
>
> https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;951229
>
> Look here for info on the Support Debugging Tool
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/11/06/are-you-using-the-support-debugging-tool.aspx
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/07/30/support-debugging-tool-for-microsoft-dynamics-gp.aspx
>
> David Musgrave [MSFT]
> Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
> Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific
>
> Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)
> http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics
>
> mailto:David.Musgrave@online.microsoft.com
> http://blogs.msdn.com/DevelopingForDynamicsGP
>
> Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
AllenMc (95)
11/6/2008 1:57:24 PM
------=_NextPart_0001_00CB0C29

Glad to be of assistance.

Thanks for the feedback.

PS: I would assume you are talking degrees F as in degrees C.... a super heated steam environment would be very uncomfortable. :-)

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP

http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics

http://blogs.msdn.com/DevelopingForDynamicsGP

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.

------=_NextPart_0001_00CB0C29

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang3081{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fprq2\fcharset0 MS Sans Serif;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Glad to be of assistance.
\par
\par Thanks for the feedback.
\par
\par PS: I would assume you are talking degrees F as in degrees C.... a super heated steam environment would be very uncomfortable. :-)
\par
\par David Musgrave [MSFT]
\par Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
\par Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific
\par
\par Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)
\par http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics
\par
\par mailto:David.Musgrave@online.microsoft.com
\par http://blogs.msdn.com/DevelopingForDynamicsGP
\par
\par Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
\par
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_00CB0C29--

0
dmusgrav7144 (312)
11/7/2008 12:02:14 AM
------=_NextPart_0001_0EC41868

I have created a blog post on export and import of security for v10.0.

http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/11/10/how-to-transfer-security-tasks-and-roles-between-
systems.aspx

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP

http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics

http://blogs.msdn.com/DevelopingForDynamicsGP

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.

------=_NextPart_0001_0EC41868

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang3081{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fprq2\fcharset0 MS Sans Serif;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 I have created a blog post on export and import of security for v10.0.
\par
\par http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/11/10/how-to-transfer-security-tasks-and-roles-between-systems.aspx
\par
\par David Musgrave [MSFT]
\par Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
\par Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific
\par
\par Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)
\par http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics
\par
\par mailto:David.Musgrave@online.microsoft.com
\par http://blogs.msdn.com/DevelopingForDynamicsGP
\par
\par Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
\par
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_0EC41868--

0
dmusgrav7144 (312)

Export to XML exports single row only

Take a look at this important patch
--pbahpynclubz Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="mqppwmtulrtd"; type="multipart/alternative" --mqppwmtulrtd Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="wznjzkwxmisjrdc" --wznjzkwxmisjrdc Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Client this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to mainta...

CRM ERROR 1053 when trying to start MSCRM Security Service.
WE have hust installed CRM 1.2 on Windows 2003. When we try to start the CRM Security Service we get the following error ERROR 1053: The service did not responf to the start or control request in a timely fashion. Any help on this will be much appreciated. what OS are your domain controllers running? -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions/Community/CRMFaqLanding.aspx "CRM ERROR 1053" <CRMERROR1053@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:263F0B66-427E-48E0-A3A7-D2658F1C7B8B@microsoft.com... > WE have hust insta...

Contacts export display X400 not SMTP

Export / Import Security

Report Server Security Settings Problem
I am unable to deploy a report to my local report server. On my Window 7 Professional machine the reporting service is running, I am in the local administrators group on my machine, and I have administrator rights on my SQL Server 2008 Standard installation (a full installation). When I attempt to deploy a report from Visual Studio 2008 it says I don't have sufficient permissions. Also, when I browse http://localhost/reports the page displays but I don't have the "Site Settings" link. When I browse http://localhost/Reportserver I get "The permissions granted to...

Export item ID?

Exporting email in Outlook Express

Conversion / Import
Is the any way of converting or importing Adobe InDesign into Publisher (2002) Bern at DCA <Bern at DCA@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Is the any way of converting or importing Adobe InDesign into > Publisher (2002) Copy and Paste? (This requires that you have InDesign installed) Otherwise, no. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Exporting to Powerpoint

relative import path in public schema
I'm using a public set of schemas for GML, avaiable at www.opengis.net/gml. They all include or import each other but live in a folder hierarchy, so the import statement includes schemaLocation="../xlink/xlinks.xsd". I've written a schema that imports the top level one using schemaLocation="http://schemas.opengis.net/gml/3.1.0/base/feature.xsd". I've also tried downloading it and putting it in the schema cache but in both cases the build fails with 'Cannot resolve the schemaLocation attribute'. I'm using Visual C# 2005 Express and I'm new...

Excel 2000 Security patch crashes Excel
I recently upgraded my computer, although I am still using Excel 2000. As part of the upgrade, I decided to be good and updated all the available service patches for Excel 2000. I later tried opening a file that I have created and work with extensively - and Excel crashed. Something that never happened before. I tried opening the file on a different computer - and it worked just fine. So I began debugging to find what the problem was - I stripped out all the VBA, and then I stripped out the worksheets one-by-one, until I came upon the root of the problem. I had a picture inserted, with a hyper...

Export Image Package
I have an access application that has stored .JPG images within the database as a "Package". How can I export the image back to a normal .jpg file so that it can be read by a normal (non ole server) imaging application? ...

Export registry key
Hi, Is there an API to Export and Extract a registry key in a text format ? I need to simulate the operation that is done by the user of exporting a key (and creating a .reg file in a text format). I do not want to use RegSaveKey/RegRestorekey which work in a binary format. Yoav. I believe you will have to do this yourself. There is no Automation or exported function interface to RegEdit, and that .Reg file concept is a feature of that program. However, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to do this, using RegEnumKeyEx and RegEnumValue or the CRegKey class, use a CStdioFile object...

Export from Excel to Word
I have a 20 page Excel document that has a LOT of formating involved, it is text not data. Is there a way that I get it into Word without having to redo all the formatting? It is 11x17, landscape. Yes: Select the area you wish to copy. While holding the SHIFT key pull-down: Edit > Copy Picture... In the Word document, just paste. Because you have pasted a picture, the formatting will be preserved. Also because its a picture, yo can re-size it as you choose. -- Gary's Student "kath0178" wrote: > I have a 20 page Excel document that has a LOT of formating inv...

Reverse of export to database
Ave, I would like to generate a Visio drawing starting from an Access database which contains the results of an 'export to database' of an existing drawing. I found import possibilities from Excel, csv, txt files, but not from databases. I'm using Visio 2002 Professional. Greetings, Are you trying to import the data from the database tables or the database schema? If it is the database schema, run the Database modeling template (File \ New \ Database \ Database model diagram) If you want to get the data, try the "Link to Database" dialog (Tools \ Macros \ Visio Extras...

Importing a file into M. Outlook 2000
Hi I am unable to import a contact list created in excel. I get the error messages; 1. Internal error 2711 Hi Susan, By the sounds of it I think your trying to attach an attachment, this works, // Runs MS Outlook with an attached file. string ls_outlook = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\outlook.exe" ls_run_string = '"' + ls_outlook + '" /c IPM.Note /m ' + ' /a' + ls_attach run(ls_run_string) Note: ls_attach is the name of the document. I am trying to auto populate the email address and subject line. Do u know how to do this? >...

Copy Security settings by Level
Hi, Is it possible to copy security settings per level? If yes, pls advise how. Tnx. \Franco Email: fmanuel@gisimplement.com Could you rephrase that? Not sure what you're looking to do - copy Level 1 to level 10 or copy all setting from one control to another? Either way is going to be cryptic at best... -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the newsgroup so that all can share the information "Joseph Franco Man...

Export email addresses including aliases
Hi I have a medium organization with 5 different domains so each user has 5 to 10 email aliases. I can't find a way (an easy way) to export all email addresses into a script file so I can create accounts on our off-site anti-spam provider. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO EXPORT EMAIL ALIASES IN EXCHANGE 2000 Thank you, Shawn. "Shawn" <slafferty@allcovered.com> wrote: >I have a medium organization with 5 different domains so each user has 5 to 10 email aliases. I can't find a way (an easy way) to export all email addresses into a script file so I can create accounts on o...

Importing MS Word file
I read somewhere that Publisher is the best for large documents, but it's the only DTP I can afford, so I want to do everything I can to see if I can get it to work for me. I have a novel that is around 76000 words. I'm wanting to put art work in my document and then have it printed on a commercial printer. I used Word to create a pretty nice document, but it doesn't seem good enough for the commecial printer. They sent me an email saying DPI settings were to small (I imported my art work at 300 DPI but I believe Word must have lowered the DPI to 199), also there is a prob...

Problem importing a .pst file
Hi. I'm trying to import messages stored in a .pst file into Outlook (version 9.0.0.2711) with OS W2K. The file was created in Outlook under Windows XP. No error messages appear. The copying barometer comes up and it looks as if the messages are being imported. The problem is that I can't find them anywhere. What's going on? Tim They should be important in your main mailbox unless you've specified it to do otherwise. Do folder sizes indicate messages have been imported? You really should update your version of Outlook with Service Pack 3 and additional up...

Can I export my Publisher document into MS Word?
Does anyone know how I can export my Publisher document into MS Word? Hi Matt (matthew_removethis_@mccallister.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Does anyone know how I can export my Publisher document || into MS Word? No you cannot. You can open one instance of Publisher and one instance of Word and copy/paste between the two programs, or do a CTRL+Drag and Drop between the two programs. Some formatting will be lost however. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" wit...

CurrentUser() & workgroup security (ACCESS 2007)
I want to populate a field with the Windows username of the current user. I have created a Macro with a SetValue action. In the arguments, I entered the relevant field as the Item and the Expression as CurrentUser(). When this macro runs, it always populates the field with 'Admin'. A search of help files suggests I need to enable workgroup security for this function to work. How do I do this in Access 2007? (If this isn't the problem, what will make the currentuser() function work?) CurrentUser doesn't give you the Windows username: it gives you the Access username. ...

lead source field not populating during import
I added more choises to the lead source pull down. Restarted IIS. When I go into CRM they show up fine and I can choose them for a new lead. However I am importing leads (using Scribe) and I cannot get this field to populate. If I assign the number value associated with each pull down choice I get the number in that field. If I put nothing in that field to import when I go into CRM only the original choices for the pull downs are there, not the ones I added. I know I published them because I can see them if I'm just adding a lead from within CRM Any suggestions anyone. Hi...