Enumerated type in Dexterity?

I have searched and could not find an answer to this seemingly simple
question.  Is there such a thing as an enumerated type in Dexterity?  If not
an explicit one, is there a workaround (with drop down list perhaps?) to get
the same kind of functionality as one would expect in an enumerated type?  I
know I could just create constants to handle this, but I'm trying to avoid
adding dozens of constants for this.

Thanks
-Greg M
0
Greg7423 (349)

No, there are no enumerated types in Dexterity. A drop-down list won't help
you, because its value is an integer. You will have to create constants for
the sets of values you're defining.

If you have a large number of constants to create, and you don't want to do
that using the Constant Definition window, there's another technique you
could try. Export a constant as a text source file using the Resource
Explorer. You can see how the constant is defined in the text file (the
format is reasonably simple). Just replicate an entry for each constant you
want to define in that text file (all of the entries in one single text file)
and then import that into your dictionary. The constants will be defined
without having to do so individually.

Steve

"Greg" wrote:

> I have searched and could not find an answer to this seemingly simple
> question.  Is there such a thing as an enumerated type in Dexterity?  If not
> an explicit one, is there a workaround (with drop down list perhaps?) to get
> the same kind of functionality as one would expect in an enumerated type?  I
> know I could just create constants to handle this, but I'm trying to avoid
> adding dozens of constants for this.
>
> Thanks
> -Greg M
That sounds like a good plan, since it runs a little slow and takes 4-5
seconds to create each constant manually.  Thanks for all of your help, Steve.

"Steve Kubis [MSFT]" wrote:

> No, there are no enumerated types in Dexterity. A drop-down list won't help
> you, because its value is an integer. You will have to create constants for
> the sets of values you're defining.
>
> If you have a large number of constants to create, and you don't want to do
> that using the Constant Definition window, there's another technique you
> could try. Export a constant as a text source file using the Resource
> Explorer. You can see how the constant is defined in the text file (the
> format is reasonably simple). Just replicate an entry for each constant you
> want to define in that text file (all of the entries in one single text file)
> and then import that into your dictionary. The constants will be defined
> without having to do so individually.
>
> Steve
>

> "Greg" wrote:
>
> > I have searched and could not find an answer to this seemingly simple
> > question.  Is there such a thing as an enumerated type in Dexterity?  If not
> > an explicit one, is there a workaround (with drop down list perhaps?) to get
> > the same kind of functionality as one would expect in an enumerated type?  I
> > know I could just create constants to handle this, but I'm trying to avoid
> > adding dozens of constants for this.
> >
> > Thanks
> > -Greg M
0
Greg7423 (349)

public folder enumeration
Not sure why my last post fell as a reply or subpost to a previous message but here goes attempt two: Is there a way to enumerate all folders and posts (including attachment labels where applicable) and redirect to a text file or CSV in a similar fashion that the DOS tree /F /A command would work? Thanks! ...

DLL tell what type of application is running.
I'm writing a general purpose error handler that will be used by Windows Apps, Web Apps, Window's Services, ... In other words - just about any program will be calling it. Part of this error routine would be to put up a message box if it's a windows app but only if it's a windows app. How can I make sure that the application that is running is actually a Window's app. I currently am passing in parameters to display the message if appropriate but I want to make sure that somebody doesn't by accident call the routine with a message to display for something ...

Business Type Code Vs Industry
Hello, Can someone explain the difference between Business Type Code & Industry? What is the role or purpose of Business Type code. If anyone knows of any resources that could explain the intended purpose of this and some of the other fields on the account object such as Classification, and Category that would be great. Hi, It totally depends upon your business requirments. If you think some field is not required then just remove it or modify it to suit your requirments. There are many attributes of Account which are not even shown on Account Form by default but they are there in ...

user-defined data type capabilities
It seems I use Microsoft Visual Basic 6.5 from Microsoft Excel 2003. I've just introduced my first user-defined data type (UDT) to a module. I found it greatly simplified passing parameters. Private Type Journey Depart As String Arrive As String End Type What can I do with such UDTs? 1) Declare functions and scalar, array, and parameter variables. 2) Assign e.g. Dim A as UDT, B as UDT: A = B 3) Not compare variables. e.g. if UDT0 = UDT1 ... gets an error. What else can UDTs be used for? When, in the Visual Basic Editor (VBE), I hover over code referencing a v...

how do i type words in a circle
I am trying to type very bold (72 pt) in a circle any help??? From the left select Word Art. It is a red W with a blue A on the icon. -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "nancy@sb" <nancy@sb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AF648BB-EB1F-43FB-B0B4-4C8D69656586@microsoft.com... >I am trying to type very bold (72 pt) in a circle > any help??? Hey Don, the WordArt icon is a slanted blue W in 2003 & 07. It will be the same on the 2010 ribbon. I have a WordArt circle on my web page. Scroll way down. http://msauer.mvps....

Excel Chart of 2 'types'
Hi I'm trying to construct a chart in Excel 2007 which will allow me to have the following: A column chart for data Series 1; A line graph chart for data Series 2; but both Series 1 and Series 2 would be on the same chart. How do I get Office 2007 to do this? Regards Hi, Create a column chart based on both series. Select the second series and on the Chart Tools > Design > Type > Change Chart Type. Select required line type. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Gary T" <GaryT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Item type in GP Inventory
Can anyone tell me if we can create user specified "Item types" in GP Inventory over above the predefined ones? Thanks in advance. CarlG Carl, The item types are critical to how items are treated throughout GP, so there is no way to make your own without some serious customization.... Can I ask what is the business need that leads you to ask about this? -- Victoria Yudin GP MVP "CarlG" <jdavidyy@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:08CA964E-32B1-4D9D-A5B4-EEDA59FE0D8C@microsoft.com... > Can anyone tell me if we can create user specified "Item types&qu...

Enumerated Constants
Is there an enumerated constant that defines the maximum number of characters that can be displayed in a cell, e.g., "xlMaxChars" (I just made this one up). There is no such constant. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Jon" <jon.lark@L-3Com.com> wrote in message news:O%23m7hny1EHA.1452@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Is there an enumerated constant that defines the maximum number > of > characters that can be displayed in a cell, e.g., "xlMaxChars" > (I just made > this one ...

Exception: permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.Secur f
Using VS 2008 to develop a C# CLR Stored Procedure for an SQL2005 DB (Express). I can successfully run and debug the skeletal SP that prints "hello world" but when I add the code below to open a connection to a MS Access database file I get the following exception in the debugger: "Request for the permission of type 'System.Data.Odbc.OdbcPermission, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed." I've ALTERED DATABASE SET TRUSTWORTHY TRUE and set the permission level of the Assembly to EXTERNAL. The ...

Item Qty Type
Hi, GP10 Items are Serial number tracking. I plan to use Qty Type 'Damaged' for products that come back and that are damaged to have it not available for sales. Will do a return and will put it in Qty 'Damaged' the time of inspection. When inspection will be finished, will do a adjustment to remove the ones that need to be out of inventory and will transfer to on-Hand the good one. Now, the question is… does the only way to have the items out of the inventory is ? First, to transfer items from Damaged to on-Hand Second, to do a negative inventory a...

Hyperlink
Hello I would like to set up a hyperlink on an excel page which mimics clicking the "back" button on the Web menu in Excel. So for example if the user clicks on the hyperlink on sheet1 and goes to cell A10 in sheet2, I would like the user to be able to click on a hyperlink in sheet2 which takes them "back" to the originating cell in sheet1. There are many many different hyperlinks in sheet1 which all take the user to the same cell A10 in sheet2, what we want is the ability to return to the particular originating cell in sheet1. We can get this functionality at the momen...

Referencing enumeration
The MSDN page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb774096(VS.85).aspx documents the ShellSpecialFolderConstants enumerated type that assigns name to the unique, system-independent values for a wide range of Windows' special folders. I know how to use these constants in conjunction with the Shell.Application to get at items in special folders: $shell = New-Object -ComObject Shell.Application $shell.NameSpace(0x14).Items() | % {$_.Name} I would be interested to learn how to reference the ShellSpecialFolderConstants enumeration directly in a Powershell expression,i.e....

Enumerate calendar items
Hello, Does anyone know of a tool or a script that will enumerate how many calendar items users have on their mailboxes? The idea is to run something against a mailbox server to give us a count of the number of calendar items users have. Thanks On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:14:08 -0800, xmis1 <xmis1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > >Does anyone know of a tool or a script that will enumerate how many calendar >items users have on their mailboxes? The idea is to run something against a >mailbox server to give us a count of the number of calendar items users have....

Dexterity & GP
Hi, I used Dexterity and GP ver 7.5(or SBM). In Dexterity I opened dynamics.dic and made my modification and then tested it. There was a problem. I cannot open Purchase Order. If I tried to open it - it's take a long time and after that it's saying that wrong PO number or something like this and I getting a lot of errors. And after that if I run GP (SBM) (without Dexterity) I cannot open PO. I've got the same errors. Reinstalled system. Installed 8.0 version. Run SBF (GP) everything is working. Installed new Dexterity. Copy dynamics.dic to a new place. Copy dex.ini into Dexterity...

SIZE OF ENUMERATION TYPES
In msdn help, I see that enum type is 16 bit , but when I'm debuging my application I saw it's alignment to 32 bit (DWORD), Why? How can I determine the size of the enum, I want it to be 16bit (WORD) , how can I do that? where should I chnage? FYI, I using mfc visual studio, but My code is standart C not C++ / MFC / VC so I don't use any class. "[Yosi]" <Yosi@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet news:93176F54-78D7-4D41-93A7-0BC6D80E4B59@microsoft.com... > In msdn help, I see that enum type is 16 bit , but when I'm debuging > my > ap...

SetProperty gives error Type Mismatch in Windows 2003 not in Win 2
I have an application compiled in Visual Studio 6 which works fine in Windows 2000 environment but not in Windows 2003 Server. Following SetProperty line gives an Type Mismatch error void CMyContainer::SetParameterString(LPCTSTR propVal) { SetProperty(0x2, VT_BSTR, propVal); } The call is m_MyContainerCtrl->SetParameterString((LPCTSTR)""); where m_MyContainerCtrl is ptr to machine generated wrapper class class CMyContainer : public CWnd { protected: DECLARE_DYNCREATE(CMyContainer) .... public: .... CString GetParameterString(); void SetParameterString(LPCTSTR); ...

enumerate net shares
Hi, I use WNetOpenEnum and WNetEnumResource to enumerate the network shares. But I run in to a problem, if I have \\computer\share. how can I enumerate the folders thar are subfolders to share? can I use the two functions above or how is this done? thanks /Niklas ...

Display count of characters in a cell while typing.
Not sure if this should be here or in the worksheet.functions newsgroup but I think here is a safe spot. As a user types text into a cell I would like to have another cell display the number of characters that are currently in it. The count has to be 'live', meaning that as the person is typing the counter is updating, not simply updating after the user has pressed 'Enter'. Alternately, a count-down counter would be even nicer ;-) Suggestions? Search brought up nothing. -- Toby Erkson Oregon, USA Excel 2002 in Windows XP Hi not really possible as macros don&#...

Chart Types #3
Is there any way in which I can do the following: I have 5 companies, each have a rate for month 1 & 2, for=20 5 models. I would like to show the following y-axis - rate(=A3) Column 1 - model 1, company 1, month 1 Column 2 - model 1 company 1, month 2 Column 3 - model 1 company 2, month 1 Column 4 - model 1 company 2, month 2 etc Column 11 - model 2 company 1, month 1 Column 12 - model 2 comapny 1, month 2 Is this possible? Any suggestions I want to compare each=20 companies rates for both dates for each model. Many thanks 5 companies, 5 models, 2 months: 5 x 5 x 2 = 50 data points. ...

how to enumerate?
Hi, how can I enumerate a large amount of numbers in a column without having to type in every single number? (ex. 1 - 999) ty :) -- tendercare ------------------------------------------------------------------------ tendercare's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25780 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=391836 Type in 1 in a cell, 2 in the next. Select both cells, go to the bottom left corner until the cursor changes to a solid black cross, the click and drag down. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email ...

Enumerating Windows
Hey There, I have this function that is called through EnumWindows: BOOL CALLBACK EnumOpenWindows(HWND hwnd, LPARAM lParam) { DWORD dwID; LPDWORD dwID2; LPDWORD currProcId; FILE* fp; struct _HwndProcStruct* locHPStruct; fp = fopen(THREAD_LOG_FILE,APPEND_MODE); fprintf(fp,"*******************<EnumOpenWindows>*******************\n"); fclose(fp); dwID2 = (LPDWORD)calloc(1,sizeof(DWORD)); locHPStruct = (struct _HwndProcStruct*)lParam; *currProcId = locHPStruct->procID; *dwID2 = 0; GetWindowThreadProcessId(hwnd, dwID2); fp = fopen(THR...

CRM API: Converting an Object Type value -> ObjectType
I've setup post callouts in CRM which notify me when a CRM object has been modified. CRM sends me the ObjectType value so I know what type of object has been modified. For example 1 for an Account, 132 for an Activity... I can't figure out however how to convert the number back into an ObjectType. In theory it should be very simple, but from what I can tell the ObjectType class is NOT an Enum, oddly enough. I've tried the following: int objectTypeValue = 2; // which is a Contact // returns otActivity test = (ObjectType) Enum.ToObject(typeof(ObjectType), objectTypeValue); // r...

how to enumerate domain and workgroup in LAN?
how to enumerate all domain and workgroup in LAN? Thanks > how to enumerate all domain and workgroup in LAN? WNetEnumResource(); -- -Farooque Khan http://farooque.150m.com "ZhangZQ" <zhangzq71@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O239R76lDHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > how to enumerate all domain and workgroup in LAN? > > Thanks > > ...

Type/Type ID
How easy or difficult is it to create a document type/id other than the GP defaults? We give some of our customers items on consignment and we would like to be able to track these items and create a subsequent invoice. You can't create a document type. You have to use the ones in the system because they are hard-coded. You can create all the document type ids you want. Do you use a consignment site in GP? If you put items into that site, then you will be able to track what is on consignment and you can enter orders against it. When you post the invoice, the quantity on hand for t...

Investment Type
A mutual fund that holds bonds has been imported from Quicken as a bond fund. As such, the symbol CNN.UN is not recognized for automatic updating. Is there a way to change Investment Type: BOND to Investment Type: Mutual Fund? Have a look at http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q81 which shows how to change from one type to another/ -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or email mnyukwsh@...