Drop user or alias before dropping login

I am trying to delete a user, and I get this error:

Login is aliased or mapped to a user in one or more databases.  Drop the
user or alias before dropping the login.

Any advice?

Hi Caroline,

GO to SQL server --> logins and select the user and open check the
properties of the login and see what database access the users has. If any
uncheck all the database access and drop the user.

Also make sure from the GP front end you have unchecked the company access
too.

If still you get errors go to each database on the server and make sure they
are not in the users list in the databases.

Cheers
Ramesh

"Caroline" wrote:

> I am trying to delete a user, and I get this error:
>
> Login is aliased or mapped to a user in one or more databases.  Drop the
> user or alias before dropping the login.
>
> Any advice?
0
GPguy (6)
9/15/2005 10:51:02 PM
I followed your advice, Ramesh, and now I get a different error:

The stored procedure smEnterUserNamesDeleteButton returned the following
results:
DMBS: 0, Great Plains: 20424

smEnterUserNamesDeleteButton.  It was specified to control users through
Dynamics application but the userid passed in does not exist in either
sysusers or sysalternates or the database.

Secondly, we've had issues deleting users in the past.  Can you refer me to
an article on best practices when deleting users or offer some advice about
what we may be doing wrong?

"GPguy" wrote:

> Hi Caroline,
>
> GO to SQL server --> logins and select the user and open check the
> properties of the login and see what database access the users has. If any
> uncheck all the database access and drop the user.
>
> Also make sure from the GP front end you have unchecked the company access
> too.
>
> If still you get errors go to each database on the server and make sure they
> are not in the users list in the databases.
>
> Cheers
> Ramesh
>
> "Caroline" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to delete a user, and I get this error:
> >
> > Login is aliased or mapped to a user in one or more databases.  Drop the
> > user or alias before dropping the login.
> >
> > Any advice?
Hi

If you have removed the user via SQL -  in Great Plains untick the SQL
options in the System menu and remove the user.  Once done retick the SQL

You need to delete the GP user in Great Plains-  logon as 'sa' user

System Menu - make sure SQL options are checked

Users and delete.

You also need to make sure the Database Owner (DBO) for the great plains
database is DYNSA before deleting the user etc..

Run Sp_helpdb in Query Analyzer to find out Database DBO's
if incorrect run sp_changedbowner 'DYNSA'  in query analzyer for each GP
database.

--
Regards

James[MVP]
Visit MBS Blog Central

http://mbscentral.blogs.com

"Caroline" <Caroline@community.nospam> wrote in message
>I followed your advice, Ramesh, and now I get a different error:
>
> The stored procedure smEnterUserNamesDeleteButton returned the following
> results:
> DMBS: 0, Great Plains: 20424
>
> smEnterUserNamesDeleteButton.  It was specified to control users through
> Dynamics application but the userid passed in does not exist in either
> sysusers or sysalternates or the database.
>
> Secondly, we've had issues deleting users in the past.  Can you refer me
> an article on best practices when deleting users or offer some advice
> about
> what we may be doing wrong?
>

> "GPguy" wrote:
>
>> Hi Caroline,
>>
>> GO to SQL server --> logins and select the user and open check the
>> properties of the login and see what database access the users has. If
>> any
>> uncheck all the database access and drop the user.
>>
>> Also make sure from the GP front end you have unchecked the company
>> access
>> too.
>>
>> If still you get errors go to each database on the server and make sure
>> they
>> are not in the users list in the databases.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Ramesh
>>
>> "Caroline" wrote:
>>
>> > I am trying to delete a user, and I get this error:
>> >
>> > Login is aliased or mapped to a user in one or more databases.  Drop
>> > the
>> > user or alias before dropping the login.
>> >
>> > Any advice?

------=_NextPart_0001_C1AEED20

Caroline,

Hello! I want to thank James and Ramesh for their replies as well.

The Great Plains error 20424 does indicate that the user no longer
exists in sql. When you delete the users via the Great Plains
application it will attempt to delete the associate SQL user and
login. As James suggested for a workaround to this message, you will
want to unmark both SQL Options (Tools-Setup-System-SQL Options) and
then delete the user via Great Plains. After deleting the user, be
sure to remark both SQL Options.

In the future, you will want to delete all Great Plains users via the
Great Plains application (Tools-Setup-System-User). The user's
associated sql login and user should be deleted in the proper order
as long as both SQL Options are marked. If you delete your GP users
via the GP application, you should not encounter the issues you are
seeing here.

As James recommended, you will also want to be sure that DYNSA is the
owner of all Great Plains databases. If DYNSA is not the owner, you
can change the owner for the database using the following script:

sp_changedbowner 'sa'
GO
sp_changedbowner 'DYNSA'
GO

Thanks,
Loralie Fritel
Microsoft Online Partner Support

so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical
phone support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business
down" situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week to all Microsoft technology partners in the United States and
Can ada.

This and other support options are available here:

BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/4001
0469

Others:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2finternational.aspx.

rights.

------=_NextPart_0001_C1AEED20

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fprq2\fcharset0 MS Sans Serif;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Caroline,
\par
\par Hello! I want to thank James and Ramesh for their replies as well.
\par
\par The Great Plains error 20424 does indicate that the user no longer exists in sql. When you delete the users via the Great Plains application it will attempt to delete the associate SQL user and login. As James suggested for a workaround to this message, you will want to unmark both SQL Options (Tools-Setup-System-SQL Options) and then delete the user via Great Plains. After deleting the user, be sure to remark both SQL Options.
\par
\par In the future, you will want to delete all Great Plains users via the Great Plains application (Tools-Setup-System-User). The user's associated sql login and user should be deleted in the proper order as long as both SQL Options are marked. If you delete your GP users via the GP application, you should not encounter the issues you are seeing here.
\par
\par As James recommended, you will also want to be sure that DYNSA is the owner of all Great Plains databases. If DYNSA is not the owner, you can change the owner for the database using the following script:
\par
\par sp_changedbowner 'sa'
\par GO
\par sp_changedbowner 'DYNSA'
\par GO
\par
\par Thanks,
\par Loralie Fritel
\par Microsoft Online Partner Support
\par
\par
\par
\par When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
\par
\par
\par Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down" situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Can ada.
\par
\par
\par
\par This and other support options are available here:
\par
\par BCPS: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
\par
\par Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/
\par
\par
\par
\par If you are outside the United States, please visit our International Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2finternational.aspx.
\par
\par
\par
\par
\par
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_C1AEED20--

0
loralief (15)
9/16/2005 10:32:01 PM
Thank you very much.

"Loralie Fritel [MSFT]" wrote:

> Caroline,
>
> Hello! I want to thank James and Ramesh for their replies as well.
>
> The Great Plains error 20424 does indicate that the user no longer
> exists in sql. When you delete the users via the Great Plains
> application it will attempt to delete the associate SQL user and
> login. As James suggested for a workaround to this message, you will
> want to unmark both SQL Options (Tools-Setup-System-SQL Options) and
> then delete the user via Great Plains. After deleting the user, be
> sure to remark both SQL Options.
>
> In the future, you will want to delete all Great Plains users via the
> Great Plains application (Tools-Setup-System-User). The user's
> associated sql login and user should be deleted in the proper order
> as long as both SQL Options are marked. If you delete your GP users
> via the GP application, you should not encounter the issues you are
> seeing here.
>
> As James recommended, you will also want to be sure that DYNSA is the
> owner of all Great Plains databases. If DYNSA is not the owner, you
> can change the owner for the database using the following script:
>
> sp_changedbowner 'sa'
> GO
> sp_changedbowner 'DYNSA'
> GO
>
> Thanks,
> Loralie Fritel
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>

> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
> so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

> Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical
> phone support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business
> down" situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a
> week to all Microsoft technology partners in the United States and
> Can ada.
>

> This and other support options are available here:
>
> BCPS:
> https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/4001
> 0469
>
> Others:
> https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/
>

> If you are outside the United States, please visit our International
> Support page:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2finternational.aspx.

> rights

Drag and drop of eMail to own application
Hi everybody, i like to drag and drop an eMail of Outlook ( Express & Xp ) and Thunderbird into my own application ( MFC ). There'in the dropped eMail should be readed and the subject, body text, Recepiant, ... should be displayed into textboxes. I can check the different formats of the Drag-Event or Clipboard data. An Outlook Express mail is stored in plaintext into the clipboard, so it's seriously possible to extract it. But with Outlook XP Mails i see only the name of a .eml file ( the of file which would be saved on the Destop for example ) But how to extract the data? Do...

Allow users to edit range ERROR
Hello, I've a problem, I have a macro in my sheet that custom sort by hitting a box. Now I want to allow users to edit range so I have to protect my sheet. When I do this thing, my macro said there's an error in it. How can I allow users to edit range and my macra still working. Can anyone help me and let my know how??? Thanks Please post your macro 'Sub...End Sub) HTH -- AP <blommerse@saz.nl> a �crit dans le message de news: 1151413348.876416.287750@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > I've a problem, I have a macro in my sheet that custom sort by...

Exchange creates mailbox but fails to connect to the domain user
When creating mailbox's for new domain users the system creates the mailbox fine but fails to connect the mailbox to the user. In the Exchange System Manager the mailbox is shown but isn't connect to the user, when I 'reconnect' and search for the user in the domain the user isn't found. In fact the ESM fails to display all the contents of the domain, yet in Active Directory Users and Groups on the same server all items in the Domain are displayed. The problem seems to me to point to the Exchange system. The system also fails to create an X400 address automotically....

Drop Down List #9
I am trying to create a drop down list using two worksheets. How would I create this. One sheet would where the final product is and the other would be where the data is being kept. Watch this 5 min video: How to setup a data validation drop down list: http://youtube.com/watch?v=t2OsWJijrOM -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Vincent Kerzman" <Vincent Kerzman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2DAA48B-0BD2-4932-AE91-B86D55B8D8A6@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create a drop down list using two worksheets. How would I > create this. > > One s...

Users not appearing in Global Address List
Hi, I've created three new users all with mailboxes and they aren't appearing in the Global Address List. Can anyone tell me why? Thanks, Joe On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:39:52 +1000, "Joe Spenceley" <jspenceley@alwindows.com.au> wrote: >Hi, > >I've created three new users all with mailboxes and they aren't appearing in >the Global Address List. > >Can anyone tell me why? > >Thanks, >Joe > Check in ADU&C to see if an email address has been applied. See: http://blogs.msdn.com/exchange/archive/2004/07/07/175444.aspx And: http://s...

drag and drop
Using office XP I cannot drag and drop items from one folder to another in outlook 2002. Any ideas? Thanks ...

drop down calendar #4
In a cell I want to have a drop down calendar of the current month. I downloaded a template of a calendar and tried data valadation but it only displayed the source range. Any ideas? TIA http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/04/27/excelhacks.html "Ray A" wrote: > In a cell I want to have a drop down calendar of the current month. I > downloaded a template of a calendar and tried data valadation but it only > displayed the source range. Any ideas? > TIA > Ray See Ron de Bruin's site for this. http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm Gord D...

drop down data want to choose more than one item for cell
I have a drop down box that i want folks to be able to choose more than one item from the box to go into the cell. Multiselect from a DV dropdown is possible using VBA. See Debra Dalgleish's site for a downloadable sample workbook with event code. http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DV0017 Note that you can have the selections in an adjacent cell or in the same cell. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:40:08 -0800, FranW <FranW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a drop down box that i want folks to be able to choose more than...

User profile issues
I have an office running SBS 2003 with ~20 users (mostly XP Pro). Question #1 - User favourites/settings Users don't seem to have been set up consistently. Some users can log in to any PC and access their favourites/settings etc, but others can't. If I compare their user properties on the server there is no difference. How can I change this so any user can log in to any PC and access their own personal settings? Question #2 - Printer Setup This may be related to the last question, but for some users, their printers disappear and must be re-added occasionally. ...

Password Required when setting up a new user
When I am setting up new users in Great Plains using the menu path Tools/Setup/System/User, I am prompted to enter a password. When I enter the SA or DYNSA password, I am allowed to continue. Otherwise, the password fails. My question is: Is this a configuration setting or do I always have to enter a password here. Are there any other (ie less powerful) passwords I can use? My idea scenario is to setup one individual as the Great Plains administrator (with the lowest security possible to perform user setup and maintenace) and have that user do all user setup and maintenance and hope...

Drop Down List #2
Hi All Can this be done, as I am struggling. I have data in sheet B and want to create a drop down list in sheet A from this data, and I can't make it happen, I can create a drop down list in sheet A from data in sheet A but not from sheet B Could anyone help please Cheers Steve Name the range on the other sheet, and you can refer to it in the data validation dialog box. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Steve wrote: > I have data in sheet B and want to create a drop down list in sheet A from > this data, and I can't make it h...

Redirecting all e-mail from one external user (or domain) to an SBS (2003) user
Hello - this might seem a silly question, I hope not. I have a client who wishes to redirect all e-mail coming from an external user (example: fred@xyz.com), to a local user (wilma@companyname.com) I can block the e-mail from either the specific user or the domain, with or without an archive, in System Manager > Message Delivery properties, but cannot work out how to simply forward the specific e-mails. Any assistance greatly appreciated, Thanks, Ashley ...

Question of drop-down listbox
Hello, Is it possible to have listbox or combobox with Auto HScroll (ES_AUTOHSCROLL) capabilities. Thank You! I don't get it. ES_AUTOHSCROLL is an Edit control style, how would it apply to a listbox or combobox? What are you trying to do? AliR. "Ririko Horvath" <horvathr@securemethods.com> wrote in message news:uHUo%23OyLFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is it possible to have listbox or combobox with Auto HScroll > (ES_AUTOHSCROLL) capabilities. > > Thank You! > > I'm soory for not expressing my question properly...

How many users of Excel worldwide?
Hey I need to know because im writing a report for school. greetings thomas At least 3 "thomas" <et.bl@vf.nl> wrote in message news:04cc01c38e5e$525aac90$a001280a@phx.gbl... > > Hey > > I need to know because im writing a report for school. > > greetings > thomas > I don't know about 3 but there are at least 10 >-----Original Message----- >At least 3 > >"thomas" <et.bl@vf.nl> wrote in message >news:04cc01c38e5e$525aac90$a001280a@phx.gbl... >> >> Hey >> >> I need to know because im wr...

questions about money (current quicken user)
Hi I am thinking of changing from quicken to money. can anybody tell me is there any capability to share info with ms outlook, such as reminders etc. also is there a option for doing invoices. thanks tim Have a look here. May help http://money.mvps.org/faq/quicken.aspx -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "Tim" <adslk4at@tpg.com.au> wrote in message news:43eef869$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au... > Hi I am th...

user lookup
Hi When I send a mail in Outlook - to a valid email adress - I get the following error from "Systemadministrator": <recipients mail addres > den 19-06-2004 14:12 550 Error in User Lookup < recipents mail addres > how do I fix this ? Tia What kind of e-mail account do you use? Bent wrote: > Hi > > When I send a mail in Outlook - to a valid email adress - I get the > following error from "Systemadministrator": > > <recipients mail addres > den 19-06-2004 14:12 > > 550 Error in User Lookup < recipents mail addres > >...

reporting on drop-down values
We created drop-downs and wish to add the values to a report, but of course the extentionbase tables only show the numbers. Is there a specific table where all the actual text values are stored? Hi use the stringmaps table to get the description of picklist values. I hope it helps. -- Singh http://mscrmshop.blogspot.com MSCRM Consultant Orion Enterprise Sydney "TheWkndr" wrote: > We created drop-downs and wish to add the values to a report, but of course > the extentionbase tables only show the numbers. Is there a specific table > where all the actual text values a...

Drop user or alias before dropping login
I am trying to delete a user, and I get this error: Login is aliased or mapped to a user in one or more databases. Drop the user or alias before dropping the login. Any advice? Hi Caroline, GO to SQL server --> logins and select the user and open check the properties of the login and see what database access the users has. If any uncheck all the database access and drop the user. Also make sure from the GP front end you have unchecked the company access too. If still you get errors go to each database on the server and make sure they are not in the users list in the databases. ...

Drop down list 04-23-10
How do you display drop down list button even if the cell is not selected? You can't. Perhaps you've seen the button created from a AutoFilter ot PivotTable? -- Best Regards, Luke M "DLB" <DLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F248BA68-6874-4712-876D-CF2890DD0BF1@microsoft.com... > How do you display drop down list button even if the cell is not selected? Use a combo box from the Forms toolbar. The drop down arrow is always visible. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "DLB" <DLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Outlook 2003 Drap and Drop Issue
Hi If you take an email from Outlook and perform a drag and drop to the tasks, the task is created but the message body text is empty. Any reason why this should happen. Cheers ...

OWA now asks for Domain\User post Sp1
Any way to avoid having to enter domain\user as OWA logon after Exchange Sp1 has been implemented??? Any chance you are running sbs? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843539&sd=RMVP "Tom Allen" <tsa68@[removethisfirst]verizon.net> wrote in message news:u3qVhhxKFHA.440@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Any way to avoid having to enter domain\user as OWA > logon after Exchange Sp1 has been implemented??? > > > > THANKS A TON! "neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@online.mvps.org> wrote in message news:ObTE2nxKFHA.4092@tk2msftngp...

Odd Drop Down Box Behavior
I have a drop down box on a spreadsheet in a workbook with several spreadsheets. For some reason the contents of the drop down box is beeing bled through to other spreadsheets in the exact same cell reference that the drop down box is linked to, replacing what may be in that cell. It happens randomly yet often, and I have not been able to discern any patterrn or catalyst. The contents and cell formatting are being transfered. It also happens on other spreadsheets using the drop down box. This is an Active-X box, not a forms box, using Excel 2007. Anybody seen this? Squeaky...

Windows XP fails to load from User menu
Windows XP fails to load when user clicks on their name. Starts to load personal settings and then kicks back to the user menu. Tried entering via Safe mode and got the same results. Ken wrote: > Windows XP fails to load when user clicks on their name. Starts to > load personal settings and then kicks back to the user menu. Tried > entering via Safe mode and got the same results. Look into replacing the userinit file - sounds like you got yourself infested/infected. -- Shenan Stanley MS-MVP -- How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr...

Best way to insure no users can log in
Hi, I have to run the account combiner for the professional services tools library and I have to insure that no users can log in while it is running. Also we have automated applications that use eConnect to enter data in Great Plains and I have to make sure that they can not connect. Does anyone have good suggestions on how to do that? I was thinking of killing all spids on the server and putting it in pause mode. Is the account combiner using more than one spid (does it need multiple connections?). Thanks, Peter SQL Server enables you to put a database in single-user mode by goin...

Drop-Down list in a cell #2
Hi, I have cells in an Excel form which are used to enter data. But it' always same list of choices. I wonder if there is a way to create drop-down list of choice in a cell, so that the user can choose betwee the available choices. Is it possible? Thx! Werne -- Werne ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Werner's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2430 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39053 Try Debra Dalgleish's page at: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal13.html -- Rg...