Do you have enough setup information?

Because everyone's business is different, the Great Plains program is highly
customizable; you have a lot of configuration options.

Does the Great Plains Help documentation provide you with enough information
to know how to set up the program before you enter your first transaction?

You can reply to this message, or click the link below to type your comments
on the Microsoft® Business Solutions–Great Plains® User Assistance Team
documentation survey site.

http://weblogs.asp.net/bizdoc/archive/2004/11/12/256684.aspx

-Ryan

rchrist (11)

My answer is that I find enough information to get it set up, but not enough
to get it setup the way way I want it.  I feel like that every time after I
get things set up and going, I realize that things would run better if I had
set them up differently.

In other words when it comes to set ups, if I knew then what I know now, I
would do it differently.

So what I would like to see is better explainations of how things work, how
data flows and how different setup options impact how the systems works.

"Ryan Christiansen [MSFT]" wrote:

> Because everyone's business is different, the Great Plains program is highly
> customizable; you have a lot of configuration options.
>
> Does the Great Plains Help documentation provide you with enough information
> to know how to set up the program before you enter your first transaction?
>

> You can reply to this message, or click the link below to type your comments
> on the Microsoft® Business Solutions–Great Plains® User Assistance Team
> documentation survey site.
>
> http://weblogs.asp.net/bizdoc/archive/2004/11/12/256684.aspx
>
> -Ryan

JEK (30)
12/9/2004 8:19:03 PM
You said it so well all I can do is agree. The documentation is ripe
with statements such as "The XYZ process is provided to do XYZ", or the
like. Better documentation that would help the as yet unexperienced user
would really help.

JEK wrote:
> My answer is that I find enough information to get it set up, but not enough
> to get it setup the way way I want it.  I feel like that every time after I
> get things set up and going, I realize that things would run better if I had
> set them up differently.
>
> In other words when it comes to set ups, if I knew then what I know now, I
> would do it differently.
>
> So what I would like to see is better explainations of how things work, how
> data flows and how different setup options impact how the systems works.
>
> "Ryan Christiansen [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>>Because everyone's business is different, the Great Plains program is highly
>>customizable; you have a lot of configuration options.
>>
>>Does the Great Plains Help documentation provide you with enough information
>>to know how to set up the program before you enter your first transaction?
>>

>>You can reply to this message, or click the link below to type your comments
>>on the Microsoft® Business Solutions–Great Plains® User Assistance Team
>>documentation survey site.
>>
>>http://weblogs.asp.net/bizdoc/archive/2004/11/12/256684.aspx
>>
>>-Ryan
>>
>>--
>>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
0
noyb (108)
12/9/2004 10:03:33 PM
There is enough information, but not nearly enough information regarding the
interrelationships between options eg the taxes options on the company
setup.
or say the checkboxes for payment terms dictating what portion is discounted
and the impact on the taxes.

I think some more solid accounting examples would be very useful.

Also, maybe some country specific options for the setup would be useful -
maybe the localisation teams / local offices could help with this.

Carol Anne Guy

"Ryan Christiansen [MSFT]" <rchrist@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Because everyone's business is different, the Great Plains program is
highly
> customizable; you have a lot of configuration options.
>
> Does the Great Plains Help documentation provide you with enough
information
> to know how to set up the program before you enter your first transaction?
>

> You can reply to this message, or click the link below to type your
comments
> on the Microsoft� Business Solutions-Great Plains� User Assistance Team
> documentation survey site.
>
> http://weblogs.asp.net/bizdoc/archive/2004/11/12/256684.aspx
>
> -Ryan

rights.

0
caguy (27)

Blacklist Setup
On Exchange 2003 is there any articles on how to configure the server to use a blacklist or lists? Thanks Roger Crawford HTS Roger Try here http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/291.html http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Blacklist_Support_Exchange_2003.html Andy Peck Thanks Andy that is what I was looking for. Roger Crawford HTS "Andy Peck" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:OdFmSMJ7DHA.2952@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Roger > > Try here > > http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/291.html > http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Blacklist_Sup...

Enough. Where is the policy?
Okay, Who the heck is in charge on these groups? Someone totally hidden and entirely unaccountable..? What's the posting policy and where the heck is some honesty about how these groups are moderated..? Where is the FAQ..? (or FAQs..?) Yes, I've had it. I'm upset that 1 or 2 critical posts I made didn't get posted. So, you can contact me at: ==================================================== Scott Davis, 45 Dunfield Av, Unit 2117 Self-Employed Toronto, ON, Canada, M4S 2H4 Tech Consultant Mobile. (416) 432-4334 The IP addrs I use to post all UseNet: 66.207.21...

Two Mailbox Setup
Here's a tale of un-documentation (woe is me). If someone can give me the solution again, I'd much appreciate it. Here's the scenario I have previously achieved with a SBS2003/Exchange2003/Outlook2003 setup: 1. Two domains (domain1.com and domain2.com). 2. Create two users in AD. Names are SLIGHTLY different (add a middle initital for one user). For example: Adam H. Smith and Adam Smith. Email addresses are: adam@domain1.com and adam@domain2.com. 3. Set up Outlook for this user by pulling in both mailboxes. Train user to use FROM field and pick the email address he wan...

Setup Outlook Anywhere in Entourage 2008 WSE
One of my user got Entourage 2008 WSE and would like to setup Outlook Anywhere on it. It works fine once he get a VPN connection but it doesn't work without VPN connection. Does anyone know how to setup Outlook Anywhere in Entourage 2008 WSE? Please advise me how I can setup Entourage 2008 WSE. Thanks in advance. On 1/24/10 1:35 PM, Cheongseo wrote: > One of my user got Entourage 2008 WSE and would like to setup Outlook > Anywhere on it. > It works fine once he get a VPN connection but it doesn't work without VPN > connection. > Does anyone know how ...

Problems with Exchange 2003 Setup <Newbie>
This will actually work out to about 4 questions so please bear with me. I have installed Exchange Server 2003 on Windows 2003 Server. The machine is in domain1. We are hosting multiple domains, all our own: domain2, domain3, domain4... I have been setting up email accounts in Active Directory for several users. For instance I have a user domain1\John Smith and since he is our webmaster I set him up with webmaster@domain1.com, webmaster@domain2.com, etc. And likewise I alias all the sales@ emails to another user. Recently I added info@domain1.com to the sales user but no emails sent actua...

setup outlook
I recently moved to china and can't access my yahoo email. ISP says this is due to gov't censorship! Hoping to access yahoo email via outlook. Yahoo mail help shows how to enter outlook email account. However, I am confused about what is a POP3 server and a SMTP server. How do I know if I have these? If I don't, how do I get them? Assuming you have Yahoo Plus! (not a free account), see http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-02.html "Jax" <Jax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E7C302F7-E9CC-4EC8-87FC-77AB508CC70F@microsoft.com... >I re...

Shared Workbook User had unsaved information disappear
We share a workbook and my co-worker came to me today and insists she typed information in multiple cells which is now missing. We do track the history and I saw no record of the information. She insists she saved her changes....but if she did not, is it possible it disappeared? We had the update changes setting to Automatically every 5 minutes but not save "Just see other users' changes". Could this have removed her data? She was so frustrated I could not even look on her computer to see things from her point of view. She insists the info just vanished... S...

Merging information from Excel to Word doc
Can anyone tell me how to create a merge document in a receipt format from my Excel spreadsheet of vendors. I am a volunteer who recently took over the co-ordinating of a summer market. We are a non-profit organization and have to make maximum use of what we have available. I'd like to be able to create receipts from the spreadsheet by using the mail merge function. Have tried various ways and it does not come out right. Perhaps it's the way the info is entered?? If anyone can help I would be grateful for the time saved from not having to write 177 receipts by hand!! Thank...

How do I setup recurring tasks?
Hi, I want to setup a task that I do every weekday w/ no end date and I want Outlook to remind me every week day. It seems easy but when I set it up, it reminded me once then it never did. I figured I need to have NONE for Due date but when I do that it seems like the task becomes a one-time task. Any idea how I can get this to work? Thanks, Sam I have found that the recurring task does not work everytime, so I use recurring Appointments instead. "Sam" <sam@globalwebcentral.com> wrote in message news:ufXdNebvEHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I want ...

Setup Account Format
I have installed Microsoft Dynamic GP, working with the Demo data come with it. I’m logged with SA user and I tried to change the account format and received this message: You cannot change the Account Format because there are other users in this company. Please help me Thanks jvrodriguez@infomedika.com Sometime users can get "stranded" in Dynamics. Go to Tools - Utilities - System-User Activity. Look for users there beside the 'sa' user. You can also try rebooting the SQL server to clear temp tables. -- www.fmtconsultants.com "Valentin Puerto Rico&qu...

Failed to get language information for Project Server
I received this error at a certain time frame. Anyone have any ideas. ...

Not enough memory?
I am trying to send a 172MB attachment, but get the message "Not enough memory"? I have 4 GB RAM installed, with a net of 2.87 GB available with nothing running and 735GB avilable on my hard drive. Why am I getting this message? Is there a size limitation in Windows Mail? -- McM I don't know of any server that would allow a 172MB message. Even if they did, you'd probably end up with a really teed-off recipient when they tried to download it. Use an upload site. Here are a couple, but you can Google for more. Upload large files. An alternative to e-mail....

How setup newsgroups in outlook 2010?
I have been unable to find directions on how to setup a newsgroup reader in Outlook 2010. The pC is running Vista Home Premium. Can anyone tell me how to do it? Thanks in advance for any hlep. Al You would have to use Windows Mail (included with Vista or download/install Windows Live Mail) if you want to do newsgroups. Microsoft Outlook isn't a newsgroup reader. "Al Micbedroom" <nospam@aol.com> wrote in message news:ezdGvx2$KHA.5464@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have been unable to find directions on how to setup a newsgroup > reader in Outlook 2010...

Copy GP10 Company setup options
How do you copy the setup options from a "test" company to a new clean install for the purposes of creating a production company. We perform test until we get our processes where we want them, but are having to go back and revisit the setup options to set them up in a live company. I used copy company automated tool, but it brought over data also. thanks, adger Adger, 1) You can follow KB article 872709 -- https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;872709 --to transfer all your setup information. or 2) You can use SnapShot in combination with ...

I need to setup a spreadsheet to enter data to from my findings o. #2
I have to log mu findings into an excel spreadsheet and then graph the results I am not sure if there is a specific spreadsheet format I am please help One basic way to set this up: All you need to do is make a table and then click in it. Then, Run the Chart Wizard. You can access it from Insert | Chart. Example, if I want to create a chart based on how much produce my gorcery store sells in a month, I would put the types of produce down one column, like this: Apples Pears Cherries Oranges Then, I would put the Months of the year across a Row: Jan Feb Mar Apr ... This would creat...

How can I have information from a form I created to automatically.
Hi 1. Please post your question as body of the message 2. You have to give more information -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "group3" <group3@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:326C71B8-C3E7-4D92-B7D1-A6B343B81E76@microsoft.com... > ...

visanet edc setup
I am trying to setup visanet, I signed up with CITI to process credit cards no one knows anything about the setup and RMS guide is not very clear. I have attempted to set up and when I run a card I get invalid card number error?? I down loaded a setup guide from mercury would this be the same set up. Mercury seems very informative should I switch to them?? Very frustrated in Indiana the past 4 RMS local support has all went out of business microsoft gave me a list of certified microsoft techs but no one with in 80 miles nows anything about RMS Help Shoeman I am using chase. It took t...

New setup help.
I'm not looking for any hand holding, just some resouces to read. I'm new to MS CRM and I am trying to deploy it for the first time. Is there a good step by step walk through? Specificly I am getting a few "Unexpected Error" messages. Just trying to view the schedule gives me one. Thanks Tom There is an Implementation Guide on the CD and also available for download from MS. This is the best resource for installation. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Tom Geek" wrote: > I'm not looking for any hand holding, just some resouces to rea...

Setup of NCR 7167 with RMS
I need help setting up a NCR 7167 receipt/slip printer with MICR and cash drawer pass through with RMS. I have tried using the windows drivers and the OPOS drivers with no luck. I have also used other brand OPOS drivers with the same results. Please help! Carlos Hi Carlos, How many terminals are you setting up? Have you tried NCR support? Sorry I have no better answer for you Marc Wagner www.gmroii.net "Carlos" <cmzente@prodigy.net.mx> wrote in message news:00bf01c46dc9$c35b2140$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I need help setting up a NCR 7167 receipt/slip printer > with M...

Information store stops
Hi Besides error in sys log The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 5 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action. we alse get the following error; Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the MSExchangeIS service. after that our Exchange 2000 information store service is stopped. If I try to start it, it works for about 5 minutes, and than we get the same error again, and IS is stopped. Any help or ideas why? Regards Miha Are you using the Standard version of ...

not enough memory when sorting email
I continue to get an error message saying I don't have enough memory for my e-mail rules used for sorting my e- mail into their proper boxes. CAn you please increase it? Can it be solved? ...

Chart of Accounts Setup
I need some input. I have a customer with 4 companies to set up. They are an S corp. so there laywers/accountants have suggested they set up each company as a seperate database for 'protection' purposes. In addition to GP, they are using a Energy and Conveince Store package, due to their type of business they are, and these systems are going to feed GL and AP entries to GP. Right now we are looking to a 3 segment chart - Company-Account-Profit Center. I am trying to decide how to handle gallons/unit accounts - do I make them all 90000 accounts or add a 4th segment that represen...

ISP Outgoing SMTP server and Exchange setup
Hello Does Exchange server requires from ISP any settings for outgoing emails? We are moving hosted emails from public server to our own office SBS 2008 Exchange 2007. I understand that we need to change DNS and MX records accordingly and we have DNS and MX editing option at present email hosting. But our ISP line is different and nothing to do with present Emails except Outlook outgoing SMPT server setting is set accordingly to ISP. The question is - do we need to change anything to send emails when using own Exchange server? Obviously Outlook doesn't need anymore outg...

Fiscal Periods Setup Window
Can someone tell me how to make the Fiscal Periods Setup window default to our current fiscal year when you open it. Our fiscal year ended on 8/29/2007 and when we open the window it is showing Fiscal Year 2007 not 2008. We have to change it each time. Thanks, ...

Header Information (Return-Path) is missing
Hi! We deployed Exchnage 2003 (back-end and front-end) on W2K3 AD. If our users on the Exchange organozation create mail forwarding to the external mail accounts, the return-path in header is missing. For example: Tom has an Exchange mailbox with the alias tom@aaa.com. Tom created a forwarding rule in Outlook 2003 to sue@bbb.com. An other not-exchange user with the alias timy@ccc.com send an e-mail to Tom. Sue had the forwarded mai in her mailbox. But Sue cannot find the header information from which person she become the mail. There is only information in header that Sue received this...