Dexterity needs to provide a SQL connection object

If we are to provide powerful and flexible custom applications that work
seamlessly with Microsoft Dynamics GP Advance Security, we must be provided a
way to access the SQL databases under the context of the currently logged in
user. Access must also be available from outside the Great Plains environment
– for example from a website or some external order entry system.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=e5861ca4-85f2-4db5-8268-83b0943c9f55&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
cKamp (2)

Have you looked at the following:

Dexterity has SQL_Connect() and Login_LogIntoDataSource() and associated
commands to allow access SQL directly.

There is also RetrieveGlobals.dll and Crypto.dll for pre v9.0 and
RetrieveGlobals9.dll and GPConn.dll for v9.0 and later.  These dlls allow
credentials from Great Plains to be used to create SQL connections.

Please also see the following KB Articles:

https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;912960

https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;913341

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Senior Development Consultant
Escalation Engineer
MBS Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Business Solutions

mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com

and confers no rights.

"cKamp" wrote:

> If we are to provide powerful and flexible custom applications that work
> seamlessly with Microsoft Dynamics GP Advance Security, we must be provided a
> way to access the SQL databases under the context of the currently logged in
> user. Access must also be available from outside the Great Plains environment
> – for example from a website or some external order entry system.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=e5861ca4-85f2-4db5-8268-83b0943c9f55&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
dmusgrav1 (1325)
5/17/2006 4:33:01 AM
David, glad to know you are still around. I last saw you at a conference in
Fargo. Nice to know an expert has addressed my issue. The
RetrieveGlobals9.dll sounds like just what I'm looking for - except I need it
to work in Dexterity so I can call another dll that directly accesses SQL
from within the GP multi-dictionary environment. The article states that it
only works in Modifier with VBA or in Integration Manager so unless Dexterity
was inadvertently left off this list, no cigar here.

On the other hand, the GPConnNet.dll may be a perfect fit for us. I'll have
to dig into that.

Thanks,
Chuck

"David Musgrave [MSFT]" wrote:

> Have you looked at the following:
>
> Dexterity has SQL_Connect() and Login_LogIntoDataSource() and associated
> commands to allow access SQL directly.
>
> There is also RetrieveGlobals.dll and Crypto.dll for pre v9.0 and
> RetrieveGlobals9.dll and GPConn.dll for v9.0 and later.  These dlls allow
> credentials from Great Plains to be used to create SQL connections.
>
> Please also see the following KB Articles:
>
> https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;912960
>
> https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;913341
>
> David Musgrave [MSFT]
> Senior Development Consultant
> Escalation Engineer
> MBS Support - Asia Pacific
>
> Microsoft Business Solutions
> http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions
>
> mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
>
> Any views contained within are my personal views and
> not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> and confers no rights.
>

> "cKamp" wrote:
>
> > If we are to provide powerful and flexible custom applications that work
> > seamlessly with Microsoft Dynamics GP Advance Security, we must be provided a
> > way to access the SQL databases under the context of the currently logged in
> > user. Access must also be available from outside the Great Plains environment
> > – for example from a website or some external order entry system.
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=e5861ca4-85f2-4db5-8268-83b0943c9f55&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
cKamp (2)
7/27/2006 7:54:02 PM
Well, I don't see GPConnNet.dll working for you in Dexterity as it is a
".net" assembly and Dexterity can't natively call .NET assemblies.  It might
have been written so that you can generate a tlb and access it via COM
interop but I don't believe so.

But then again, you can use the GPConn.dll (which is COM and what
retreiveglobals9.dll is using).

But then again also, why bother doing this with Dexterity?  Why not just use
SQL_Connect() and access the data via the Dexterity interface?  BTW don't
use Login_LogIntoDataSource() because GP is already logged in and this will
fail.  And you can't switch contexts either.  Now you could be talking a
standalone Dex app but my money is on "not".

Oh, and if you really wanted to, you could use retrieveglobals9.dll with
Dexterity.  Dex isn't listed because why bother since you can make your own
connection with SQL_Connect()?

patrick
mbs dev support

"cKamp" <cKamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > > If we are to provide powerful and flexible custom applications that
work
> > > seamlessly with Microsoft Dynamics GP Advance Security, we must be
provided a
> > > way to access the SQL databases under the context of the currently
logged in
> > > user. Access must also be available from outside the Great Plains
environment
> > > - for example from a website or some external order entry system.
> > >
> > > ----------------
> > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I
> > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow this
> > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

prot1 (1345)
7/28/2006 1:17:20 AM
?ello Patrick, long time no speak.
I am trying to use your EstimateFreight example for GP 9 and 10 and I cannot
get my C# code to make a successful connection: It bombs on
// Make the connection
            cn.ConnectionString = "DATABASE=MDGP";
            GPConnObj.Connect(cn, "SQLHOME", "sa","223");
With 'sa' as the user name it tells me DSN does not exist, as any other user
it tells me object does not exist. The DSN is correct. I have tried to run
the EstimateFreight example as provided and all I did was change this
section. I get the exact same error.
Is there something else I need to do. I do have a support call in on
this(8917335).

"Patrick [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > There is also RetrieveGlobals.dll and Crypto.dll for pre v9.0 and
> > > RetrieveGlobals9.dll and GPConn.dll for v9.0 and later.  These dlls
> allow
> > > credentials from Great Plains to be used to create SQL connections.
> > >
> > > Please also see the following KB Articles:
> > >

> https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;912960
> > >

> https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;913341
> > >
> > > David Musgrave [MSFT]
> > > Senior Development Consultant
> > > Escalation Engineer
> > > MBS Support - Asia Pacific
> > >
> > > Microsoft Business Solutions
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions
> > >
> > > mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com
> > >
> > > Any views contained within are my personal views and
> > > not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,

0
RichWheeler (196)

What is dexterity?
I know that great plains runs on MS SQL 2000. What is dexterity, what does it do? Anyone got a short but accurate answer? -- Bruce Elniski IT Manager The DoorStore of Alberta Bruce, It is the original Great Plains development environment. Read C+ (that's a + less than C++ and also not quite object orientated (by a long way)). Orginally built by Great Plains Software as a cross platform (Windows and Mac) development platform, it is the what the Great Plains core modules are devloped in. Cheers. R. "Bruce Elniski" wrote: > I know that great plains runs on MS SQL 2...

have a v8.0 security question you need answered?
Hi all, In case you didn't know, the Business Solutions Community site is hosting a chat moderated by two Microsoft Great Plains 8.0 security experts this week -- right in this public newsgroup. You can access this chat -- and ask a v8.0 security question of experts Kelly Youells and David Musgrave -- in the following newsgroup thread: http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains&p=1&tid=6bf725dc-5df7-4e4e-96a1-0487e89986c1&mid=4e990ba0-5655...

Password needs to be entered
Every time Outlook is loaded, the password must be re- entered, even after it has been previously entered and the 'remember password' box checked. Now I've got both a dial-up and a high speed access and I'm asked to enter the password twice, once for each. Each time, the password and check are gone. The office program is XP standard. Another computer (W98) with the same program (XP)doesn't have this problem. Same settings! If you are still having problems after applying both the SP 1 & 2 patches, then see if this article addresses your problemL OL2002: The Sa...

sp_addlinkedserver -- sql server 2000 -- problem
I am trying to link a sql server to another sql server using sp_addlinkedserver. Here is what I am doing but no luck: First I add myself as an sa in the remote server userID='joe' pwd='abc' then I do this in master of the primary server EXEC sp_addlinkedserver @server = 'svrRemote', @srvproduct = '', @provider = 'SQLOLEDB', @provstr = 'DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=serverDEF;UID=joe;PWD=abc;' after running this sp I can see svrRemote in the LinkedServer section of Enterprise Manager. But when I try to open it - I...

I need formula help
I have 3 numbers, 3.49,5.49 and 9.79 in a spreadsheet. When a cell (J2 in this case) displays 3.49 I would like my formula cell to use 2.26, however if it is 5.49 I would like it to use 5.05. So far I have =(IF(J2=3.49,2.26,5.05)+(I2*0.85)) I should mention that I2 is a sales price minus 15% added to the result of J2. This works great except I need to calculate for 9.79 to return 8.95 and use that in my calculation. Any ideas, help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Deseparately need your advice!
Hi all, We are going to merge with another company. we have one empty root domain and one child domain and all servers and users are in this domain. Windows 2003 SP2 domain cntrollers and we have exchange 2003 servers. Another company: one domain with windows 2003 Sp2 domain controllers and they have exchange 2007 servers. My proposal is that introduce one seperate domain tree and migrate their users there. What about their exchange servers and has to rebuild since the domain is changed? What is the most effective way and less time consuming to do? Also, what ...

Need a formula to do the following...
I have a team listed in cells B2:B45. I have tabs for each of these teams. I want a formula in cells C2:C45 to take the value from cell R2 from the team listed beside it. For example, cell B2 is listed as BOS. I want cell C2 to take the value from cell R2 in the BOS tab. I think I use the indirect formula but I can't get it to work. Thanks for the help. =INDIRECT("'"&B2&"'!R2") HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I have a team listed in cells B2:B45. I have tabs for each of these teams. >I want a formula in cells ...

Help Needed!
I'm posting this for a friend who had his computer to crash and he did a system restore and lost some old emails. Is there any way to get those emails back? Here is something he wrote- I am looking for the person who had the friends who were going to buy our NQC tickets for 2010. The were going to retire and use our tickets this year. My computer crashed due to a corrupted hard drive and when I did a total system restore it deleted all my old saved emails so I cannot contact them. Thanks And here is another message he wrote when I ask him if his system was windo...

broadband connection
I used to be on AOL. After I switched over to Comcast Broadband, Microsoft money does not seem to identify that I am connected to the internet. It signs me in offline. For information, I also have a router attached and mcafee firewall installed. Any help appreciated In microsoft.public.money, singus wrote: >I used to be on AOL. After I switched over to Comcast >Broadband, Microsoft money does not seem to identify that >I am connected to the internet. It signs me in offline. >For information, I also have a router attached and mcafee >firewall installed. >Any help appre...

KB930879 needs clarification
Hi all, I just check the MS KB930879 reviewed on 2/22/2007. I am so confused now. Please look at the section what to do after you run exchange tool ******************************** What to do after you run the Exchange tool Install updates After you finish updating all Exchange servers in your environment, install the following updates on the Exchange servers: 931836 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931836/) February 2007 cumulative time zone update for Microsoft Windows operating systems 926666 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926666/) Update for daylight saving time changes in 200...

Need help (again) with hierarhyID
Hi, For some reason I've never gotten used to hierarchyid way of doing things. Here's what I want to do: I want to specify a node and want my select statement to return that node's child nodes that are directly under that node. For example: Root Level 1 Level 1.1 Level 1.2 Level 1.2.1 Level 1.2.2 Level 2 Level 3 So, if I set my input parameter to root, I only want to get Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 -- not all the sub levels under Level 1. If I set my input parameter to Level 1, I only want to get Level 1.1 and Level 1.2. ...

Rounding in Dexterity
Hi, I am trying to use the round function in Dexterity which has the syntax round(field,side,expression{,mode}). I see that GP does the rounding such that 12.119 >> 12.12 12.111 >> 12.11 What option should I use for the "mode" in round function to get these results? Regards, Sup You'll note that "mode" is optional but for the different methods that it'll round the help file does give complete examples. For your example regular "rounding" is what you need. Just set the "expression" to 2 so it rounds at 2 decimals. Done. patri...

Dexterity Runtime error: Unable to open DEX.DIC
Dynamics GP 10 Adv. SP2 is installed and work's well all the time. Now I get this error when launching Dynamics on the server. All clients are working without any problem. I cannot find a KB article. Any suggestios how to solve this issue?? Thanks -- Toni Toni, Couple of things: 1) Your DEX.DIC has been removed from the Dynamics GP installation path, or 2) Your DEX.DIC is marked as read only There may be other reasons, but we sure can start here. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP B...

I need serious Money 2004 help
Hello, I downloaded my visa statement from the bank and it only downloads a portion of the statement. Many transactions are missing. After I download it, window appears and says the following "A transaction in the QIF file has a date that could not be resolved and therefore was not recorded into your money file. Check your regional settings in the windows control panel to make sure they match the date format of the QIF file, and then try importing the file again" What does that mean?? Can anyone help me out. In microsoft.public.money, Darren wrote: > >I downloaded m...

need to reload 2007 home/student have prod key
where do i go to reload 2007 home/student i have product key On 2/04/2010 7:21 PM, howie2006 wrote: > where do i go to reload 2007 home/student i have product key Where is the CD? On 2/04/2010 7:21 PM, howie2006 wrote: > where do i go to reload 2007 home/student i have product key Sorry that was not very helpful. If you had the CD you would not be posting here. The only thing I could find was a 60 day Office professional trial. http://trial.trymicrosoftoffice.com/ HTH http://www.microsoft.com/office/downloads/ ...

Need Formula Help Copying "Image" URL from B2 to A2
Hi all sorry if this is a repeated question in this ng. I just could not find one related my querry. I have sitmap list in excel. I want to separate the links with the word images in it. http://.........../display.asp?hs=7130g&tariff=tmobxnetflext35.18 http://............/display.asp?image=large&hs=7130g both links are in B1 and B2, I want to copy the the link with the word "image" in the middle to A2. what formula can I use in A2? any tip would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. tim try =IF(FIND("image",B2),B2,"...

Any ssues Installing SQL 2005 Service pack 1 on CRM Server
We have CRM Server 3.0 with SQL 2005 Server running at one of the client place. We want to apply SQL 2005 Service pack 1 on Server where CRM database is sitting. MS Support team, recently advised one guy in our team against installing SQL Service pack 1. Installing would have issues with the CRM server and would stop the CRM server from operating properly. MS team did not go into specific details as to what the issues were or any details of the types of issues it would cause, they just strongly advised against applying SP1. I would like to know does anyone had applied SP1 on Server. ...

Enumerated type in Dexterity?
I have searched and could not find an answer to this seemingly simple question. Is there such a thing as an enumerated type in Dexterity? If not an explicit one, is there a workaround (with drop down list perhaps?) to get the same kind of functionality as one would expect in an enumerated type? I know I could just create constants to handle this, but I'm trying to avoid adding dozens of constants for this. Thanks -Greg M No, there are no enumerated types in Dexterity. A drop-down list won't help you, because its value is an integer. You will have to create constants for the...

Need help creating a vbScript using notepad ++
I need to know how to create a vbscript using notepad ++ that will do the following: Prompt the user for a folder name & a file name · If the folder does not exist, create the folder & the file. Let the user know that the folder & the file have been created. · If the folder does exist but the file does not, create the file. Let the user know the file has been created. · If the both the folder & the file exist, print the following info about the file: when the file was created, when the file was accessed last time, when the file was modified ...

Help needed with a formula
I am trying to get some values from a different workbook into my sheet. The formula I am using is simple, like this: ='I:\ORKUN\Konya\Istatistik\[BINASAYIMI(Balikesir Gemlik vs).xls]2'!$D$59 what I want to do is to keep column numbers (i.e D) in this formula, but to able to change the row number dynamic. For example I want to point this number in a cell, so whatever I write into that cell will become row number in the formula. Is there a simple way? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages direc...

Negative sales quantities with Integration Manager
SQL Opt 8.0 should allow negative sales quantities, just like Great Plains 8.0 and Integration Manager Standard 8.0. We use IM to import 1300 invoices each day. We do so with SQL Opt, but negative invoices are rejected. These must then be run thru a standard integration to into Great Plains. Out of curiosity, how long does the 1300 orders take with Integration Manager to process through? On average how many line items per invoice? Thanks. Alan "mike.thompson" <mike.thompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D00C29E1-0A99-48B2-ADFB-2BAE5E679F3E@mi...

SQL Excel Conversion
I am having trouble converting excel to SQL. The columns i am having trouble with are Text columns, but most of the data is dropped and only data that is alphanumeric is converted. I would like to know how to fix this. If i change the alphanumeric data to numeric, that is the only column converted, all the other numberic fields are null. On May 14, 10:45=A0am, NJ Excel <NJ Ex...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am having trouble converting excel to SQL. =A0The columns i am having tr= ouble > with are Text columns, but most of the data is dropped and only data that = is...

Workorder help needed
I have a computer store, when customers bring in their pc for repairs i want to create a work order with a description of the service work to be done, when i try to save the work order is asks for a 10% deposit, I DONT want to take deposits. when the work is completed i want o create and invoice based on the work order, or turn the workorder into an invoice. can this be done, if so please help thanks -- Thanks Ian Ian - before you go to tender to save the workorder, select shift f9 details and checkmark override deposit - set it to zero if you do not want to take a deposit - click o...

Dexterity
Anyone can advise on the above issue?? Much appreciated. Regards Ken Ken- I'm sure there are several ways, but here's what I do. This is going to be long.... Regards, Brenner (bklenzman@klenzmanconsulting.com). (1) create a script that dynamically executes the script below. Pass in the table name as a variable. tDex = ""; tDex = tDex + "close table " + sTableTechName + ". "; tDex = tDex + "open table " + sTableTechName + ". "; tDex = tDex + "close table " + sTableTechName + ". "; iErrCnt = execute(i...

Object Library Not Registered #3
I receive an Object Library Not Registered when Excel starts. I click OK to close the dialog box and Excel then seems to run just fine. Anybody know what I must do to stop the box from appearing? "Help" says to re-register. My question is re-register what? Does that mean I'm to reinstall Office XP to solve the issue? Keith Keith, Close Excel, and then go to the Windows Start menu and choose Run. There, enter Excel.exe /regserver This will cause Excel to start, re-register all of its components with the Windows Registry, and then quit. Finally, try starting Excel nor...