Depreciation

I am not too familiar with Great Plains.  One of my clients told me that when
he closes out book depreciation for the year, he must also close out tax
depreciation.  Is this true?  If not, how does it work?  I have used several
other systems (especially macola) and you can close one book without closing
the other.

Thanks.

0
Neo (372)

You do not have to close all books at the same time.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"Neo" wrote:

> I am not too familiar with Great Plains.  One of my clients told me that when
> he closes out book depreciation for the year, he must also close out tax
> depreciation.  Is this true?  If not, how does it work?  I have used several
> other systems (especially macola) and you can close one book without closing
> the other.
>
> Thanks.

0
callen (2503)

Depreciation Formula
I don't expect to get any bites on this one, but, "Hey, it's Friday -- it could happen!" Just got this one dropped on my lap -- we have a spreadsheet with items that we depreciate -- this spreadsheep has been touched/maniulated by many over the years (I just gained access to it, since it's not doing what the Finance folks would like it to do). Here's what it does ... Col H has a description of the item Col J has In Service Date Col L has the Life of the item (ie, 60 mos, 120 mos) Col M has the Original Cost of the item Col N figures the Monthly Depreciation (=M2...

Depreciations
We are having a problem with the fixed asset depreciation on some assets. The auditors have found that the depreciation on these assets is calculating a larger amount than expected. The items involved all are Buildings and they are have an acquisition date that precedes our implementing the system. They were loaded into the system on 7/7/2000. How can we fix this? Not enough info Andrea to advise a fix. If you can give us all the particulars of the asset, the depreciation settings, current depreciation amounts, etc., maybe we can help. The more detail the better. Frank Hamelly MCP...

MACRS Depreciation
For companies that have assets with MACRS depreciation methods, does anybody know the averaging convention that you would combine with one of the double declining methods to make the schedule work? -- Charles Allen, MVP Charles: I've always used Half Year convention to simulate MACRS in GP. It works. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com That's what I've done as well. Works fine. Mark On Sep 11, 12:05=A0pm, "Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP, MCT, MVP" <fhame...@eastcoast-dynamics.com> wrote: > Charles: > > I've a...

Depreciation
I am not too familiar with Great Plains. One of my clients told me that when he closes out book depreciation for the year, he must also close out tax depreciation. Is this true? If not, how does it work? I have used several other systems (especially macola) and you can close one book without closing the other. Thanks. You do not have to close all books at the same time. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Neo" wrote: > I am not too familiar with Great Plains. One of my clients told me that when > he closes out book depreciation for the year, he must also close out tax &g...

Asset accounts for cars and depreciation question
I have an asset account for my car so I can weigh it against money I borrowed to finance it. Over time the car will, of course, depreciate and I was wondering how others are accounting for this. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Richard Annual adjustments in value to reflect www.nadaguides.com, entered as an expense categorized as transportation. You can categorize it however you choose. I believe GAAP requires not revising the actual asset account, but creating a contra-asset account and expensing that. Management reports then include both asset and contra-asset, which ...

what is straight line depreciation and double line depreciation?
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depreciation In article <928DC52C-D390-45C6-9847-693648A1A5DA@microsoft.com>, MISSY <MISSY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: "JE McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message news:jemcgimpsey-F62312.22355624092007@msnews.microsoft.com... > See > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depreciation > Quite a good article for wikipedia, but it misses one very important point. The original purpose of charging depreciation to the P&L was to build up a reserve in order to replace the asset when it became obsol...

Inventory Depreciation
Hello, GP8.0 / SQL2000. We 'depreciate' inventory that has been dead stock for 2 years or more as a summary on the G/L. I would like to adjust the inventory value of each of those affected items in our inventory subledger. We are using moving average cost. What is the best way to accomplish that? Are there any built in tools, or do I need to write my own queries? I can easily prepare the list of dead stock items and their current cost. Is it a simple matter of applying a percentage reduction to each of these items in the IV00101 table? Or, is there more to it than that?...

Depreciation Spreadsheet
Hi I'm having a little trouble calculating some formulas in my depreciation budget worksheet. What I need to be able to calculate is when an asset is only depreciated for the first 4 months of a year and ending its useful life as an asset. What is happening now is that our Accounting program gives us the planned depreciation for the upcoming year but not the remaining months so this planned depreciatin could be for 12 months or 4 months. Then we have come along and applied 12 to this to get monthly depreciation and used formulas to put it into months etc. The total f...

Depreciate new year transactins
Is it possible to calculate January ‘09 depreciation without closing the fixed asset module for 2008? Any issues with this? Sara, I don't believe GP will let you do this. You must close 2008 first. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html blog: www.victoriayudin.com "Sara" <Sara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0BED82D4-F4BD-4BBA-972D-942A9F0C7419@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to calculate January ‘09 depreciation without closing the > fixed asset module for 2008...

change depreciation
For a particular month, I would like an asset to depreciate by $250 instead of the usual $100. How can I do this? After this month, I would like the depreciation to continue back with the usual value. ...

Fixed Assets Depreciation on a Financial Year Ending on 2006/06/26
I am having trouble around the last months depreication of Fixed Assets because the Financial year ends on the 26th of June. Fixed assets does not see this even though the build calandar shows this. Can anyone advise? Thanks -- Parity Software www.parity.co.za ...

Auto Depreciation
How do you track an automobiles depreciating value without classifying it as an expense. Thanks in advance. Money 2003 Deluxe. ...

Fixed Asset Special 50% Depreciation 2008
Can anyone tell me why the 50% Special depreciation for 2008 is not calculating? ...

Depreciation/Fixed Asset
Is it at all possible to setup a asset with the following depreciation rates for tax purposes: Year 1 : 40% Year 2 : 20% Year 3 : 20% Year 4 : 20% I've tried looking at all the relevant 'out the box' depreciation calculations, but nothing seems that it would be able to do this, Any help is appreciated What tax depreciation method are you trying to replicate? Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com Hi Frank, In South Africa we have accelerated depreciation allowance on manufacturing assets, which allo...

Property Depreciation
Is there no way to depreciate property used for business in the 2005 Money for Small Business version? It sure doesn't seem like it; not only does the program not include IRS form 4562, line 13 of Schedule C is also not available to associate with expense categories. How Microsoft can claim this software to be a "business" edition, while it is lacking these fundamental capabilities, is amazing. I don't know a single sole proprietor whom doesn't depreciate property every year (computer equipment etc). Someone, please tell me I am wrong and that I just don't kn...

GP calculates new depreciation on a fully depreciated asset
We performed a mass change on a class of assets to change the Class ID and GL account number. After the mass change completed, we ran depreciation for the month, and some of the assets that were included in the mass change that were fully depreciated now show an amount in the Current Depreciation field (flagged as Y for Fully Depreciated and NBV shows as $0). A depreciation amount was also sent to the GL as part of the depreciation batch. We tried this in our TEST environment successfully. Does anyone know how this could have happened - that GP calculated and assigned a depre...

Tax depreciation
I have fixed assets on GP with in-service dates going back several years. We've added another tax depreciation book, "State". After I have the depreciation setup saved for each asset (convention, method, & switchover), would it be best to run depreciation for the prior year to establish the A/D for that set of books, prior to running depreciation the current year? You can but I find that many people have messy depreciation that doesn't necessarily correspond to a smooth start to end. If your entering or importing all of that info for the state I would bring in the ...

Negative depreciation
Would anyone have any idea how/why GP FA generates negative depreciation amount? We're depreciating our assets by amortization method of depreciation, our period is quarterly. Also, when we run our depreciation for the first period, generate FA inventory report, we noticed that current depreciation amount does not tally with YTD depreciation amount. We excpect those figures to be equal because its just the first period of an FA year. I hope someone would guide us on this. Thanks. ...

Depreciation Problem
I am running depreciation on +1000 assets. The journal has applied the correct amounts to the correct G/L accounts for all but one group. Any ideas how to resolve this? ...

Depreciation Method
What depreciation method and Averaging Convention should be used if we want to set total depreciation yearly schedule to be the sum of the cost of all new assets divided by the estimated life, with the first and last year being further divided by 2. Example if there is an asset with asset cost $3,600 and life 3 years. In the first and last year it will depreciate by amount 600(=3600/3/2) Straight line with half-year convention. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com get your GPtip42today at www.gp2themax.blogspot.com On Jun 16, 2:18=...

Bonus Depreciation
Anyone familar with the setup in fixed assets to calculate Bonus depreciation? Not my strongest suit but, I belileve we need to recognize 50% of the depreciation in the first year of any asset placed in service in the calendar year 2008. Thanks We may need more specifics but you can look at a half year averaging convention as a starting point. Mark On Jul 8, 5:00=A0pm, Merle Schwickerath <MerleSchwicker...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Anyone familar with the setup in fixed assets to calculate Bonus > depreciation? =A0Not my strongest suit but, I belileve we need to...

Depreciation Calculation
We calculated depreciation for December and the amount calculated came out X6 what it should have for every single asset. November calculated accurately. Does anyone know why this might have happened, and what the best fix would be? As far as I know, we didn't change any calendar information. Thanks! Laura Laura, How many periods do you have in your fiscal year? Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com We follow a normal calendar year - so we have 12 periods. "Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP, MCT, MVP" wrote...

Bonus Depreciation #2
We would like to create a tax book for assets that can take the Bonus depreciation which was enacted in 2008 from Obamas Economic Stimulus Plan. There is not a depreciation method in GP 10.0 for this type of depreciation. Is there any way to depreciate these assets through GP, or does the depreciation need to be calculated outside the GP Fixed Asset Module? You need to use the special allowance field on the book. Article 952222 in the knowledgebase explains the setup. -- Charles Allen, MVP "IHAcares" wrote: > We would like to create a tax book for assets that can tak...

Depreciation #3
We did a normal (monthly) depreciation procedure before we did our year end close and we realized that the depreciation amount was multiplied by 11 months some by 10 months e.g the monthy depreciation amount is 5.55 per asset but it increased to 61.05. Can someone help with the resolution on this and also maybe confirm the cause of this... Do you have more than 12 periods in your fiscal year? I've seen some strange behavior in depreciation when you have 13 or more periods setup. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax.blogspo...

depreciation #2
Our year end is June 30. Typically after year end, we run reports that show deprecation for the year and accumulated. However, we need to run reports that cross fiscal years. Specifically, we need it to run for CY2006. Any suggestions? ...