Database Engine Tuning Advisor and autocomplete

Hello there, in the never ending quest for better GP performance, I am onto 
indexes.  I am convinced that there are additional indexes that can improve 
GP in real life situations, but have been unable to find anyone listing 
indexes they have used.  So my question is, has anyone used the tuning 
advisor in sql server 05 and implemented its reccomendations?  Were there 
noticable effects on GP performance?  While I can run a trace against 
production and the advisor against a dev environment, I am still wary of 
implementing the changes in production...

On a side question, where are the actual autocomplete values stored?  

Thanks in advance,

Jason
0
wuwei26 (45)
1/24/2008 1:25:22 AM
greatplains 29623 articles. 6 followers. Follow

3 Replies
854 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 32

According to KB article 898982, the Autocomplete entries are stored in two 
files: AutoCmpl.dat and AutoCmpl.idx. You can view the contents with a text 
editor, but as far as I know you can't change them. They appear to be some 
sort of database file, but I don't know what kind.

You can find them in the following location:

Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft Business 
Solutions\Microsoft Dynamics GP\dbname\

Despite what the KB says, the "Microsoft Dynamics GP" subfolder is correct 
for version 9.

-- 
Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
GP 9.0, SP2


"wuwei26" wrote:

> Hello there, in the never ending quest for better GP performance, I am onto 
> indexes.  I am convinced that there are additional indexes that can improve 
> GP in real life situations, but have been unable to find anyone listing 
> indexes they have used.  So my question is, has anyone used the tuning 
> advisor in sql server 05 and implemented its reccomendations?  Were there 
> noticable effects on GP performance?  While I can run a trace against 
> production and the advisor against a dev environment, I am still wary of 
> implementing the changes in production...
> 
> On a side question, where are the actual autocomplete values stored?  
> 
> Thanks in advance,
> 
> Jason
0
Bud (544)
1/24/2008 2:27:02 PM
Thanks Bud, I looked through the kb but was unable to find this.  Much 
appreciated.

"Bud" wrote:

> According to KB article 898982, the Autocomplete entries are stored in two 
> files: AutoCmpl.dat and AutoCmpl.idx. You can view the contents with a text 
> editor, but as far as I know you can't change them. They appear to be some 
> sort of database file, but I don't know what kind.
> 
> You can find them in the following location:
> 
> Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft Business 
> Solutions\Microsoft Dynamics GP\dbname\
> 
> Despite what the KB says, the "Microsoft Dynamics GP" subfolder is correct 
> for version 9.
> 
> -- 
> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
> GP 9.0, SP2
> 
> 
> "wuwei26" wrote:
> 
> > Hello there, in the never ending quest for better GP performance, I am onto 
> > indexes.  I am convinced that there are additional indexes that can improve 
> > GP in real life situations, but have been unable to find anyone listing 
> > indexes they have used.  So my question is, has anyone used the tuning 
> > advisor in sql server 05 and implemented its reccomendations?  Were there 
> > noticable effects on GP performance?  While I can run a trace against 
> > production and the advisor against a dev environment, I am still wary of 
> > implementing the changes in production...
> > 
> > On a side question, where are the actual autocomplete values stored?  
> > 
> > Thanks in advance,
> > 
> > Jason
0
wuwei26 (45)
1/24/2008 7:34:01 PM
These files are stored in the Faircom Ctree database format.  The reason 
they are ctree files is because you don't need a database engine (like 
Pervasive P.SQL) locally to read/write them.  They are stored in your own 
local profile so they are unique to the user and for that requirement, must 
be ctree files then.

If you had, say, a Dynamics 4.0 CD (or maybe 5.0) the ODBC drivers were on 
the CD and you could look at the files with whatever appliation you wanted. 
The drivers were read-only however so that provides pretty limited value 
unless you were just curious about the table.

patrick
developer support

-- 
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.


"wuwei26" <wuwei26@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:EBD80EA0-20B7-446A-96B6-6251CD584244@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Bud, I looked through the kb but was unable to find this.  Much
> appreciated.
>
> "Bud" wrote:
>
>> According to KB article 898982, the Autocomplete entries are stored in 
>> two
>> files: AutoCmpl.dat and AutoCmpl.idx. You can view the contents with a 
>> text
>> editor, but as far as I know you can't change them. They appear to be 
>> some
>> sort of database file, but I don't know what kind.
>>
>> You can find them in the following location:
>>
>> Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft Business
>> Solutions\Microsoft Dynamics GP\dbname\
>>
>> Despite what the KB says, the "Microsoft Dynamics GP" subfolder is 
>> correct
>> for version 9.
>>
>> -- 
>> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
>> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
>> GP 9.0, SP2
>>
>>
>> "wuwei26" wrote:
>>
>> > Hello there, in the never ending quest for better GP performance, I am 
>> > onto
>> > indexes.  I am convinced that there are additional indexes that can 
>> > improve
>> > GP in real life situations, but have been unable to find anyone listing
>> > indexes they have used.  So my question is, has anyone used the tuning
>> > advisor in sql server 05 and implemented its reccomendations?  Were 
>> > there
>> > noticable effects on GP performance?  While I can run a trace against
>> > production and the advisor against a dev environment, I am still wary 
>> > of
>> > implementing the changes in production...
>> >
>> > On a side question, where are the actual autocomplete values stored?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> > Jason 


0
prot1 (1345)
1/25/2008 3:56:49 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Can Multiple CRM Servers share the same SQL Database?
I have a development environment running Windows 2003 server, CRM 3.0 (A), and SQL 2005. On the same server I have a virtual server setup running another instance of CRM 3.0 (B). When we installed CRM (B) on the virtual server, somehow all CRM (A) users lost access to the system and I have been unable to restore it. Both CRM instances share the same SQL database. Is this the problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. you probably want to setup named instance SQL server. They you can install CRM in each of the SQL instances. Darren Liu Crowe http://www.crowecrm.com On Aug 21...

Extracting Data from a Database, but skipping rows
This is my first post here so hi everybody... The situation is this: I have tables in different files, the main one is used to creat projects and assign a person who will be in charge, among othe information, the other tables are used by some people to fill in th hours dedicated to each project assigned to them. For example (Main Table): Project A, Responsible John Project B, Responsible Bob Project C, Responsible Mary Project C, Responsible Bob Project D, Responsible Mark Project E, Responsible John What I need to do is to find some way to update the dependent tables s that when I create a ...

Uprade failed "database is not published for merge replication"?
17:29:22| Info| metabase: Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=MPILL1;Initial Catalog=MindPillar_LLC_METABASE;Integrated Security=SSPI 17:29:22| Info| Executing Install action: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ExportXmlAction 17:29:24| Info| Executing Install action: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction 17:29:26| Info| Dropping Microsoft CRM 1.0 reports database 17:29:26| Info| Dropping merge publication in METABASE 17:29:27| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: The ...

Loosing Database Connection
Hi all ~ I'm having sporatic problem with the second register networked to register #1. Register #1 has the database. Ever so often we'll be in the middle of a transaction and without reason we'll get an error message that the databse connection has been lost. The only option on the dialog box is "ok". Once clicked POS and the manager program shutdowns down, both at the same time. This can be right in the middle of transaction. Jerry Jerry, You can if I'm not mistaken get your RMS installer to make the 2nd register work off line. What this does is if it loos...

how do i remove multiple entries in an excel database?
In an inventory database, there are some repeat data, how can i remove these redundant entries without manually seeking them out, (such as using lookup functions) ? Hi Chi, See Chip Pearson's page on duplicates for a variety of techniques for handling duplicates: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#HighlightingDuplicates --- Regards, Norman "Chi" <Chi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42F63CCE-D858-40B3-8EA9-0CCA2022B7E5@microsoft.com... > In an inventory database, there are some repeat data, how can i remove > these > redundan...

Need Modify/Design Permission is stopping me from converting my database.
When I try to convert an access 1.x database to access 2.0, I get an error message "Need Modify/Design Permission". The database was not created with any security. How can I get past this error? ...

Copy settings of database
We have an Access 2007 database in which we are happy with all of the settings, etc. Is there a way to create a new database with these same settings? There is a lot of data in the database. In other words, we want everything just as it is but without the data. -- shel You could make a copy of your database and then use a function such as http://www.devhut.net/index.php?lang=en&pid=0000000002#wipeAllTbls to wipe all your tables clean and then perform a compact and repair. Make sure you make a backup copy of your db before doing anything like this!!! -- Hope this ...

access 2007 database secrety and user
hello every one I am creating a database with access 2007 and i Want to define user and level securety but i can't. plese help me Access 2007 doesn't support user-level security, at least not with ACCDB (the Access 2007 file format) -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "mehdi ghadiry" <ghadirymehdi@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1183827376.088565.41340@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > hello every one > I am creating a database with access 2007 and i Want to define user > and level securety but i can...

How to find out the point time when the database is damaged/crashe
Hi, I am using SQL 2005. The database backup routines are: 1) Daily full backup (.bak file) at 1 AM. 2) Transaction log backup (.trn files) every 15 min from 8 AM - 8 PM from Monday to Sunday. Let's say the database is damaged (e.g., by mistake, a table was dropped, or some rows in a table were deleted, or the database just does not work with unknown reason). This problem is found out on Friday at 11 AM. Now, how do you trace the database what had happened and what exact date and time the incident occurred? I want to know how to diagnosis the problem. Pat Pat, You ...

Converting a Secured database
Does anyone know where to look for information on converting a secured '97 databse to a 2003. Is the key the system.mdw or what? -- Good Lookin' Out! The Security FAQ explains how to unsecure the db so it can be converted. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2fsupport%2faccess%2fcontent%2fsecfaq.asp#_Toc493299666 I am not aware of any newer version but it wouldn't hurt to look. "barker" <barker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE4596F4-862C-4429-AAFD-FEF0ADC5188D@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know where to look for information on...

autocomplete (like Access)
Hi, I'm trying to restrict the entry of data into cells based on values in a list. What I need is similar to Data Validation but I want Excel to complete the entry after the user has entered just the first character. For example, In Microsoft Access, when creating a new table in Design view, first you enter the field name, then tab across to Data Type. Entering a "c" and then tab automatically enters "Currency" as the data type. Similar for "d", DateTime; "t", Text etc. So, in Excel, if I have a list, say, New York, London, Sydney, Tokyo. Typi...

how to input an ultimatum in an excel database...
How can I put an ultimatum into the excel database? > > Example: putting a date ( 01 25 06 ) and today's date ( 10 26 05 ) > and get an ultimatum by substraction of them ( date - today's date ) > to get a cell which makes appear how many days are left???? > > Can you help me ?? Is it possible? Hi With your date entered in cell A1, as a valid Excel date e.g. 01/25/06 then in another cell =IF(A1<=TODAY(),"",A1-TODAY()) or =IF(DATE(2006,1,25)<=TODAY(),"",DATE(2006,1,25)-TODAY()) Regards Roger Govier liliandelosnarcos wrote: > How ca...

Compile Database Code Problem
I need to convert a database to ACCDE and need to compile my VBA, however when I select Compile under the Debug menu I get the following error, "Method or data member not found". The problem is that the Sub it is identifing is a part of my database and works well when I use the database. The code that failed was the following with ".Combo2" highlighted in the second line. Private Sub Combo2_AfterUpdate() TransferSection = Me.Combo2 MsgBox "Transfer Section is " & TransferSection RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew RunCommand acCmdSelectRecord...

Closed Opportunity Description in Database
When you close an opportunity you can enter a description, this does not get added to the description for the opportunity, and I can't figure out where to get it either to use in an email template or what database table it is in. Anyone know? This is in CRM version 4.0. There is a systm entity called Opportunityclose. It is available in the database FilteredOpportunityClose view. I don't think you can get to it from an email template, but you definately can from a report/SQL query. This is the same story for the case resolution description. "JR" wrote: > Whe...

XML URLEncoded
Hello All: We have an app that reads a text field in our database. This field stores XML. Right now: we read this field and create an XML Document in the app. We need to allow URLEncoded XML to be stored in this field (which isn't an issue) and create an XML Documunet of the un-encoded XML. My question is: how would I check in the code if this data is URLEncoded prior to creating the XML Document? Or would I do something after creating the document? Thanks for any help Andy ...

Move Exchange 2003 database to different server
Does anyone know if there is a way to move an Exchange database from one server to another. Anything I can try, script? utility? I try to setup a server in advance to avoid to reinstall Exchange server even with /disasterrecovey in DR situation. Thanks, Joe you cannot move a database from one server to another and mount it... "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C09891F-EEEF-470F-9A2D-7C24293E2F69@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know if there is a way to move an Exchange database from one > server to another. Anything I can try, script? uti...

How do you delete database macro?
Hi, I used the template wizard to create and populate a database automagically. This process created a macro that is NOT visible in the Tools/Macros window. I now want to dis-associate the template from the database but cannot find a way to do so without re-creating the template.... Any help would be appreciated. jan -- jamaz ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jamaz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16636 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=320227 "jamaz" <jam...

Looking to Update Visio drawing automatically based on Access Database
I am working on a project, whereby we want to make changes in an access database, and based on that change, update the foreground color of the related shape....I am able to link and make it update manually by closing and opening the drawing, but not automatically. An example would be: we have a drwaing of a dining room with reserved tables. when someone makes a reservation for table 1, it will be updated in the access database. I want the visio drawing (that stays open all the time on a second screen) to automatically change table 1's foreground to red. Any help would be appreci...

Restore messages from Exchange database
Our SBS2000 crashed the other day without a backup of Active Directory. We now only have a backup of the exchange database (edb and stm files). The domain has been recreated from fresh and 5 computers were re-joined the domain. Exchange also were installed. Question: what would be the right way to restore the messages from the edb and stm backup copy? Thank you in advance! -jesk Jesk You'll have to recreate the Exchange org and do a restore. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/disrecopgde.mspx Unless you have a flat file recovery tool like Quest R...

A2K-TOOLS
Hi, i want to create a form to convert several hundreds of A97 dbs to A2K. does anybody know what which routines are behind the Convert to current Database-Version in the A2K-Tools Database Utilities option. How could this be integrated in my form for the convert-loop over the a97-dbs. many thanks f=FCr helping The vast, vast majority of Access 97 databases can be opened in Access 2000 (or any later version) and saved in Access 2000 format. No, I don't have a suggestion as to how you would automate that task. There are, however, some very accomplished Access developers...

Access 97 "Unrecognized Database Format"
After our Novell Server crashed last week, all of the files had to be restored from backup. Some of the Access 97 databases will not open now. The error states "Unrecognized Database Format". The files in question have an .Mde file extension. Any suggestions? Thank you, Sandy M. "Sandy M." <Sandy.Mullen@emersonprocess.com> wrote in message news:0c9901c36d71$e28d9f10$a501280a@phx.gbl... > After our Novell Server crashed last week, all of > the files had to be restored from backup. > > Some of the Access 97 databases will not open now. > > The e...

How to force rebuild and update data from msproject to project server database
Hi all, (I use MS Project Pro 2003 connect to Project Server) I have a ms project file (ABC.Published), in this file I have 800 task. In the project server database, table MSP_TASKS, this project has 800 rows, but there are 600 rows in the MSP_VIEW_PROJ_TASKS_STD. I forced rebuild data with this help: http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/BinaryRebuild.aspx but data in MSP_VIEW_PROJ_TASKS_STD remain 600 rows. Is there another way to force rebuild MS Project Server Database? I need to see the log for project server error, where can I see? Thanks ...

diagram from database or spreadsheet
what tools, macros or similiar are available for those that aren't .net or c++ programmers to allow a database or spreadsheet to be the input object for a visio diagram? ...

Is there a good non-MS lightweight database
Howdy, I am wondering if there is a good lightweight low cost database that embeds well into Win32 API/MFC programs. I want to use it to store user data and program options (in lieu of the registry). If this hypothetical DB had a nice C++ class wrapper then so much the better. I've used Access for this purpose, but Access has a lot of drawbacks and in general I don't want to create dependencies on anything from Microsoft. I don't want to be one windows update away from a broken application. Windows 98 compatibility would be a big plus. I already use licensed versions of...

MFC with c engine
Hi, My MFC application contains an engine that was written in c language. My problem is that each time that the engine calls DOS functions (such as copy, del, etc...) I recieve a black "cmd" window for a second. How can I prevent the cmd window from showing ? thanks, Yoav. Yoavo wrote: > Hi, > My MFC application contains an engine that was written in c language. > My problem is that each time that the engine calls DOS functions (such as > copy, del, etc...) I recieve a black "cmd" window for a second. > How can I prevent the cmd window from showing ? ...