Converting Project Accounting History

Has anybody tried and succeeded or failed in converting PA history from
another system?
--
Charles Allen, MVP

0
callen (2505)

Charles:

Tried and succeeded marginally, from Timberline to PA.  Spent about $800K in
consulting time on data conversion alone.  Required massive effort due to
oddly needed data mappings between the systems.  We did it successfully, but
it took longer in dollars and time than expected (hence my comment on
marginal success).

I really don't recommend doing it unless you have a client with a really
compelling need and a large wallet.

Dwight

"Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message
> Has anybody tried and succeeded or failed in converting PA history from
> another system?
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP

Wow! $800k just for data conversion? That's some serious data conversion.
Thank you for the information.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"Dwight Specht" wrote:

> Charles:
>
> Tried and succeeded marginally, from Timberline to PA.  Spent about $800K in
> consulting time on data conversion alone.  Required massive effort due to
> oddly needed data mappings between the systems.  We did it successfully, but
> it took longer in dollars and time than expected (hence my comment on
> marginal success).
>
> I really don't recommend doing it unless you have a client with a really
> compelling need and a large wallet.
>
> Dwight
>
> "Charles Allen" <callen@nospam-bkd.com> wrote in message
> > Has anybody tried and succeeded or failed in converting PA history from
> > another system?
> > --
> > Charles Allen, MVP

0
callen (2505)
2/26/2006 12:43:27 AM
Yeah, it was a ton of money. We had to convert detail on all GL for 5 years,
bring over 2000 projects and convert every single labor and material entry
from every project. All PO, PM, and RM history was also needed.  So, I don't
mean to imply that all the time was spent on PA; much was spent elsewhere.
We also changed the chart of accounts so all the history had to be converted
to new format and cross-indexed to the past format.  Really ugly and, I
think, did not deliver the benefit for the money spent.

If you need more detailed info, feel free to contact me offline at
Dwight_Specht@hotmail.com.