Control of Customer/ Vendor Masters

Hi,

This is a query regarding control of Customer/ Vendor Masters. We are using
GP 7.50.

After creation of a customer/ vendor master, you cannot alter the key field
which in this case is the customer/ vendor number. However you can change the
name of the customer/vendor in the card. We have given rights to a staffer to
create new customers, but she now has the rights to change the names of
existing customers. This was not the intention. Is there a way to allow her
to create new customer, but prevent alteration of old customer cards?

Thanks in advance

Carl
0
jdavidyy (45)

Field level security might do what you want. Otherwise, you would have to add
some business logic using VBA or Dexterity.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"CarlG" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a query regarding control of Customer/ Vendor Masters. We are using
> GP 7.50.
>
> After creation of a customer/ vendor master, you cannot alter the key field
> which in this case is the customer/ vendor number. However you can change the
> name of the customer/vendor in the card. We have given rights to a staffer to
> create new customers, but she now has the rights to change the names of
> existing customers. This was not the intention. Is there a way to allow her
> to create new customer, but prevent alteration of old customer cards?
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Carl
0
callen (2504)
6/20/2006 2:59:02 AM
Thanks for your post Charles,

I was wondering if Field level security would defenitely solve this specific
problem. If so we can go ahead with the investment.

Thanks

Pradeep
"Charles Allen" wrote:

> Field level security might do what you want. Otherwise, you would have to add
> some business logic using VBA or Dexterity.
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP
>

> "CarlG" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is a query regarding control of Customer/ Vendor Masters. We are using
> > GP 7.50.
> >
> > After creation of a customer/ vendor master, you cannot alter the key field
> > which in this case is the customer/ vendor number. However you can change the
> > name of the customer/vendor in the card. We have given rights to a staffer to
> > create new customers, but she now has the rights to change the names of
> > existing customers. This was not the intention. Is there a way to allow her
> > to create new customer, but prevent alteration of old customer cards?
> >

> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Carl
0
jdavidyy (45)
6/20/2006 6:23:02 AM
Carl-
Yes, Field Level Security can definitely solve this problem.  A couple of
ways to address this would be:  (1) require a password before allowing the
field to be edited, or (2) you could restrict who can edit the field based on
User ID.

Brenner
--
www.KlenzmanConsulting.com
Check out our Shareware for Dynamics GP!

"CarlG" wrote:

> Thanks for your post Charles,
>
> I was wondering if Field level security would defenitely solve this specific
> problem. If so we can go ahead with the investment.
>
> Thanks
>
> Pradeep
> "Charles Allen" wrote:
>
> > Field level security might do what you want. Otherwise, you would have to add
> > some business logic using VBA or Dexterity.
> > --
> > Charles Allen, MVP
> >

> > "CarlG" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This is a query regarding control of Customer/ Vendor Masters. We are using
> > > GP 7.50.
> > >
> > > After creation of a customer/ vendor master, you cannot alter the key field
> > > which in this case is the customer/ vendor number. However you can change the
> > > name of the customer/vendor in the card. We have given rights to a staffer to
> > > create new customers, but she now has the rights to change the names of
> > > existing customers. This was not the intention. Is there a way to allow her
> > > to create new customer, but prevent alteration of old customer cards?
> > >

> > > Thanks in advance
> > >
> > > Carl

custom powerpoint template does not catch spelling errors
I've searched this issue, and can't seem to find an answer. I'm working with a custom template in powerpoint 2007 (and 2008 on Mac). Unfortunately, the spell checking for misspelled words doesn't seem to work. I can misspell a word in a blank default presentation, and the spell check will catch that error. The same misspelled word in my custom template does not get flagged. I've confirmed that the nasty "Do not check spelling" checkbox is UNchecked, and the text is marked as English (US). I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Anyone have any ideas? I&#...

bound control or inbound control
Hi Katherine, There are differences between using bound versus unbound controls. Where on the form do you want to use an unbound control? Jeanette Cunningham "Katherine" <Katherine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23BBC192-0A74-4B9F-9513-5E5923A76658@microsoft.com... > ...

why won't word 2007 release control of a .rtf file after exiting w
I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH ACCESS TO RICH TEXT FILES BY PROGRAMS OTHER THAN WORD------ AFTER THE FILE OPEN IN WORD IS CLOSED AND EVEN AFTER WORD HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN (EXITED) ---------- I GET THE ERROR MESSAGE THAT THE FILE IS "IN USE" BY WORD WHEN (FOR EXAMPLE) AN ATTEMPT IS MADE TO DELETE IT ---- SOMETIMES WHEN RE-OPENING THE FILE AFTER RE-STARTING WORD THE FILE CANNOT BE SAVED BECAUSE IT IS IN "READ ONLY" MODE ------- AFTER MUCH FIDDLING AROUND I FINALLY MANAGED TO DELETE THE PROBLEM FILE ONLY TO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM RETURN WITH A DIFFERNT FILE ----- WORD 200...

RE: Control
Can some one point me right direction to achive this following. Need to dispaly a data in a table format. some of the column data may have to display a image/icon based on a value from the table (1 :- Red color icon, 2:-yellow color icon...) Once the data is loaded and displayed on the format , able to search particular row by column index and update the values including the images(change different image). I tried with Listview control, with the report view I am not able to search row and update the columns with the List vew I am not able to show the image/icon. do not want to use ...

MSCRM login and the Users Control Panel
Is anyone aware of any way that the settings stored under Control Panel - Users - Password Management might interfere with the process of Single Sign On into MSCRM? It seemed to have somehow cached someones login and prevented logging in as the logged in user, until cached credentials had been "deleted". However I have never seen this mentioned as being relevant. I am not too sure what the architecture model is there, but it appears to be a single domain. If this area has any relevance, it would be useful to know....thanks ...

Customization Guide #6
Hello: It wanted to know if RMS 2.0 has a change in "Customization Guide" No there are no changes to the Customization Guide for 2.0. "Wilfredo" wrote: > Hello: > > It wanted to know if RMS 2.0 has a change in "Customization Guide" ...

Adding a control variable
Hello all, Under VC++ 7.1, I've added a checkbox to a dialog. Using the dialog editor, I am not trying to add a control variable for this check box. However, when I right-click on the check box and select "Add Variable", the resulting wizard dialog does not allow me to select "Control Variable" (it is grayed out). What do I need to do to get a control variable for this check box added to my class? Thanks, Dave I've never seen that before - are you able to duplicate this problem with other projects too? -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "Dave" <bett...

custom formats in new sheets
Hello all, Excel2000 I've got some custom formats which I use in pretty well all my spreadsheets. Is there a way to make user-defined custom formats appear in new sheets? When I start a new sheet there are always the standard set of 'custom' formats but the ones I have defined and want to use have to be set up again for that sheet. I'm sure ther is a simple answer to this, something I've been getting by with for over ten years! Actually, related to this question: there are loads of 'custom' formats defined in Excel which I never use but have to scroll through ...

Spam control - MS Outlook
Hi! I am using MS Outlook 2000 and use 2 profiles. I recently installed a firewall package (Fsecure = Telia S�ker Surf), including Spam control. After install, MSO hangs and I cannot change to the other profile (if I not removed MSO by ctrl/alt/del) Somebody want to comment this? /Sven-Erik Intergrated AV/Spam is the cause of frequent issues in Outlook Is the FSecure you installed compatible with this old version of Outlook? "Storfille" <storfille@ebrev.net> wrote in message news:b1Ixm.11987$U5.164765@newsb.telia.net... > Hi! > > I am using MS Outlook 200...

Releasing memory after creating OCX control
Hi, I try to create an instance of an activex control in my MFC dialog based app. Though my application works with out any error, if i check the memory after calling "delete pMyControl" it keeps on occupying the same memory it occupied when the control was alive. Could anyone help me where I am missing to clear the memory? Thank you. My Code here ---------------m_pxWmp= new CWMPPlayer4();if( m_pxWmp->Create("replay", WS_CHILD | WS_BORDER | WS_VISIBLE , CRect(100, 100,320,240), this, 2)){ m_replay = true; m_pxWmp->SetUrl("C:\\video.avi"); m_pxWmp->Set...

Creating dialog controls at run-time
I've been researching how to do this, but whenever I try what other people do, I get very bad results. But my challenge doesn't end there. The number of controls I want to create is only known at run-time. The problems I face are manifold: 1. The code most people use fails badly. Not only is the font unconventionally big, but when I click the checkbox I create, the whole dialog disappears. If that's not enough, the pointer to the control is NULL when the dialog's destructor is called, so I can't delete the instance, and get a memory leak message when the program ends: CADi...

Payments from customers and organzing it
Hi, I have a business (www.thepersonalnote.com) and am using Money 2004 for my business accounts. When I make up an invoice and then marked it as paid, it show's up in my account register. However after I've deposited the money into the bank then download it into money and try to match it up with the payment it won't allow it and it's making my account look as if I'm getting double paid. I hope this makes sense and someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong! THank you so much!!! I have the exact same issue and cannot figure out how to get around it. Did you...

what control can display characters from txt files in a dialog?
I want to read lines from txt files and display them on a dialog.I wonder which control can be put into the dialog to hold the characters from txt? Something like :- while(m_file.ReadString(tmpstr)) { str += tmpstr; } m_edit.SetWindowText(str); -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "liao_xf" <sclxf@sina.com> wrote in message news:001401c3652f$177b9830$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Thanks first! > I know that Edit control can receive and edit input. > and I know the filestdio can read lines from txt. > but can you tell me how to attatch the lines to the edit? > Thanks!...

stock control system
trying to see up a 'basic stock control sytem' for a warehouse that contains building materials. -- Thank you. You can use multiple ways of doing, there's 3 ways to come to m head... 1) Use a worksheet as database an save all the information on the cell of that worksheet using some macros to access it and handle. 2) You might want to use Access instead of Excel, I think would b easier to handle the database portion and you still have the Macro available. 3) You can use VB with an Access to create an application -- fanay ------------------------------------------------------...

Customize Outlook Today Broken
On Microsoft Outlook 2000, I click on Outlook Today in the folder list = then=20 in the right pane I click on Customize Outlook Today and nothing = happens. =20 I've reinstalled and still nothing. Any help would be apprieciated. The following MSKB article provides the fix for this issue. OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgrou...

MDI support in ATL composite control
Hi, I have components created in ATL. The components are ATL composite controls. Entire work has been done till now using ATL, however I now need to give MDI type of work area (based o doc-view architecture) within the control. I have class derived from CMDIFrameWnd. However when I try to initialize instance of this class by calling "Create" method of CFrameWnd (base class in CMDIFrameWnd), I get error and creation fails. Tracing the code, I found that base class create method calls "AfxGetInstanceHandle" to get handle to the DLL. Now since this is ATL Composite control, ...

Another Customer Report question
I'm using RMS 2.0. Is there any way to pull a customer report that shows their shipping address? All I can find is a report that shows billing address. I'm just trying to get some basic marketing done and what to find out which customers are purchasing which products, and to what address I can send them information on new products. Why is this so difficult for me to do? With all the information being captured in RMS, you'd think simple reports such as these would be available. I looked through all my custom reports and partner source and unfortunately didn't find a...

custom keyboard cursor
Env: XP, VC++6.00 In my CScrollView based app, both the mouse cursor and the keyboard cursor need to be showed. I hope the mouse cursor is a normal one and the keyboard cursor is customized, for example a long cross. I wonder if I need to make a DLL or OCX to create the long cross. I would very much appreciate being offered a sample source. ou "ou" <ou07@ab.auone-net.jp> wrote in message news:uz9AzDq1IHA.4164@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > In my CScrollView based app, both the mouse cursor and the keyboard cursor > need to be showed. I hope the mouse cursor is a n...

Print to custom Forms offline
Does anyone know how to or if there is a third paty software that allows you to print to a customized form while offline with the laptop client? Please let me know thanks. Dan white wrote: > Does anyone know how to or if there is a third paty software that allows you > to print to a customized form while offline with the laptop client? > > Please let me know thanks. i think that you could do a mail merge using your local sql offline db. You would need to crete a new ODBC connection through administrative tools that connects to your local db and then create a new mail merge .d...

View Filtering and Access Controls for Business Units
I am trying to implement MS-CRM for my company. We have multiple Business Units . I need to give views to each Business Units so that they see only their own Contacts/Accounts/Opp lists. How do I accomplish this ? Also, If I gave inter business unit acesses , how do I make sure that the one business unit users can not modify any fields on other's Business Unit's records ? Thanks in advance for any help, Kishore This is quite easy to do with CRM. Assuming you have already created your Business Units in CRM, you can view a security role within one of the Business Units and a...

Tab Control Problems
I previously worked in VC++ 6.0, and have several applications that have either custom shadebox controls, or tab controls or group boxes. In all cases, when I moved the applications over to VS.NET 2003, everything was fine, except in the resource editor, I cannot see any of the controls that have been overlayed on a tab control, or a custom shadebox control and in some cases group boxes. I can tab to them and see the outline, but I cannot see the actual controls. If I drag a new control onto the tab control, I can see the control, but once it is saved, I can no longer access the cont...

FindRecord Control Button
i built a find record control button so a user can type in the form number and go there but it only searches the field that the cursor is in and the form # is not on the tab order(purposely). How can i specify where the find record function searches? thanks Ryan, usually people use an unbound combo box or an unbound text box for searching. There is a sample download with code of a search form at http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html If you need help to get it working, post back. You can also use the wizard to put a combo for searching on your form. On the form in design view, click the...

Customize Linked Field in a Form
Is it possible to customize the links on a form to open different windows than default? For example, on PurchasingTransaction Entry, the link for VendorID goes to the Vendor Maintenance Card. Can it be made to go to the Vendor Inquiry window instead? Not using native functionality. I think you'd have to use Dexterity to create a new window. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Joel" wrote: > Is it possible to customize the links on a form to open different windows > than default? For example, on PurchasingTransaction Entry, the link for > VendorID goes to the Vendor Ma...

Controls coordinates
Hi everyone, Could somebody give me a simple example of getting a controls coordinates and then using them to put the control back where it was. So basicaly the control hasn't moved. Here's what I'm doing: m_cQuality.GetWindowRect(&qualityRC); ClientToScreen(&qualityRC); // int temp=qualityRC.Height(); // qualityRC.top=unyteRC.bottom-temp; // qualityRC.right=qualityRC.Width(); // qualityRC.left=0; // qualityRC.bottom=qualityRC.top+temp; // m_cQuality.MoveWindow(&qualityRC); m_cQuality.SetWindowPos(this, qualityRC.left, qualityRC.top, qualityRC.Width(), qualityRC.He...

Can no longer customize Outlook Today for Outlook 2000
Over the past week or so I have discovered that I can no longer customize the Outlook Today screen in Outlook 2000. I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem and if there were any solutions out there. (And please don't say upgrade to Outlook 2003 :) ) Thanks, Mat See the following KB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** "Mat" <mathew@pceasy.com> wrote in message...