Closing PO's shouldn't create GL batch for item already returned

I have an issue where an item was on PO for 240 units. It was over-received
at 280 units.  When the invoice arrived, they were billed for 240 units.
Before this person matched the invoice, they questioned the receiver, did a
physical inventory and found that they truely only received 240 units, not
the 280 that was received.  That person ran a Return WITHOUT credit for 40
units and posted it.  Then they matched the invoice to the PO for 240 units
as normal and posted that.  Later that day the purchasing person noticed that
the PO was not closed so she went into Edit Purchase orders and closed the
PO.  This created a batch (Financial batch) that tried to correct the over
receipt of this item basically mimicking the return (without credit) done
earlier.  Though an entry is made to the inventory of this item- no quanities
were changed, however.

1) Double returning this item in the GL is wrong.

Returns should be directly linked to receiving for PO's.  Closing PO should
look at what was received and returned.  If matched invoices match what has
been returned and received, there should be no extra GL batches created.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=cbf6db26-0cb9-4e26-a63c-7afe9fbf4c9c&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains

I think the GL Batch was created by the Return Transaction... Not from the
Edit PO Status.  I have recently done a simular transaction and the Return
creates a GL batch, the Editing of the PO Line Status, (closed) just removes
the line from the Match Screens and puts it in history.

"R Martin at rmartin@feedsys.com" wrote:

> I have an issue where an item was on PO for 240 units. It was over-received
> at 280 units.  When the invoice arrived, they were billed for 240 units.
> Before this person matched the invoice, they questioned the receiver, did a
> physical inventory and found that they truely only received 240 units, not
> the 280 that was received.  That person ran a Return WITHOUT credit for 40
> units and posted it.  Then they matched the invoice to the PO for 240 units
> as normal and posted that.  Later that day the purchasing person noticed that
> the PO was not closed so she went into Edit Purchase orders and closed the
> PO.  This created a batch (Financial batch) that tried to correct the over
> receipt of this item basically mimicking the return (without credit) done
> earlier.  Though an entry is made to the inventory of this item- no quanities
> were changed, however.
>
> 1) Double returning this item in the GL is wrong.
>
> Returns should be directly linked to receiving for PO's.  Closing PO should
> look at what was received and returned.  If matched invoices match what has
> been returned and received, there should be no extra GL batches created.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=cbf6db26-0cb9-4e26-a63c-7afe9fbf4c9c&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
Rich (271)
11/8/2007 4:24:01 PM
OOPs spoke to soon.  PORET00000034 and EDTPO0000002 were both created and
have same credit/debit amounts....  So I am confused!

"Rich" wrote:

> I think the GL Batch was created by the Return Transaction... Not from the
> Edit PO Status.  I have recently done a simular transaction and the Return
> creates a GL batch, the Editing of the PO Line Status, (closed) just removes
> the line from the Match Screens and puts it in history.
>

> "R Martin at rmartin@feedsys.com" wrote:
>
> > I have an issue where an item was on PO for 240 units. It was over-received
> > at 280 units.  When the invoice arrived, they were billed for 240 units.
> > Before this person matched the invoice, they questioned the receiver, did a
> > physical inventory and found that they truely only received 240 units, not
> > the 280 that was received.  That person ran a Return WITHOUT credit for 40
> > units and posted it.  Then they matched the invoice to the PO for 240 units
> > as normal and posted that.  Later that day the purchasing person noticed that
> > the PO was not closed so she went into Edit Purchase orders and closed the
> > PO.  This created a batch (Financial batch) that tried to correct the over
> > receipt of this item basically mimicking the return (without credit) done
> > earlier.  Though an entry is made to the inventory of this item- no quanities
> > were changed, however.
> >
> > 1) Double returning this item in the GL is wrong.
> >
> > Returns should be directly linked to receiving for PO's.  Closing PO should
> > look at what was received and returned.  If matched invoices match what has
> > been returned and received, there should be no extra GL batches created.
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=cbf6db26-0cb9-4e26-a63c-7afe9fbf4c9c&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
Rich (271)
11/8/2007 4:47:01 PM
Well, I am trying to figure out this behavior and have found the following:

PO Item --> Received --> Partially Invoiced --> Edit PO Status (close line)
== EDTPO0000 created.

PO Item --> Received --> Partially Invoiced --> Returned (remaining
qty)-->Edit PO Status (close line) == PORET00000 Batch and EDTPO0000 created
with same entries.

PO Line -->Received --> NOT Invoiced --> Edit PO Status (close line) == No
Batch.  I guess I need to do a PO Return to reverse these Items first, and
then close the line.

PO Item --> Received --> Returned -->Edit PO Status (close line) ==
PORET00000 Batch created.

PO Item --> Received --> Partially Returned-->Edit PO Status (close line) ==
PORET0000 Batch for partially returned qty created and NO batch created for
remaining qty through Edit PO Status.  I guess you will have to return the
remaining qty in order to get reversing entries required before closing PO
line.

So, it looks like the EDTPO000000 Batch is only created when you have
partially invoiced for an item and close the line using Edit PO Status!

The short answer is this sucks!  I wish someone would post something telling
me that the above is wrong...  or that this weird behavior will be fixed in
the very next service patch, or GP10 (which would be a standard Microsoft
answer).

Help needed!!  Please don't say contact your VAR....  because we are VARy
tired of getting big invoices from a VAR who doesn't do VARy much work for
us. I wish Microsoft would get rid of the VAR philosophy, but then think of
the Lexus and BMW dealerships that would go belly-up.

I am in the process of cleaning up our RNI and trying to figure out a way
for Purchasing and AP to keep it clean.  We currently have quite a few PO
lines that have been received, (some partially invoiced) that need to be
removed.  The items were either paid some other way (Credit Card), not
matched, or just not correct, incorrect qtys.  To add to the confusion, we
have a few PO Returns, that also dirty the water in RNI.(they still show up
on match screen).  Has anyone found a fool proof method, other than moving to
a new Purchasing System!

"Rich" wrote:

> OOPs spoke to soon.  PORET00000034 and EDTPO0000002 were both created and
> have same credit/debit amounts....  So I am confused!
>
> "Rich" wrote:
>
> > I think the GL Batch was created by the Return Transaction... Not from the
> > Edit PO Status.  I have recently done a simular transaction and the Return
> > creates a GL batch, the Editing of the PO Line Status, (closed) just removes
> > the line from the Match Screens and puts it in history.
> >

> > "R Martin at rmartin@feedsys.com" wrote:
> >
> > > I have an issue where an item was on PO for 240 units. It was over-received
> > > at 280 units.  When the invoice arrived, they were billed for 240 units.
> > > Before this person matched the invoice, they questioned the receiver, did a
> > > physical inventory and found that they truely only received 240 units, not
> > > the 280 that was received.  That person ran a Return WITHOUT credit for 40
> > > units and posted it.  Then they matched the invoice to the PO for 240 units
> > > as normal and posted that.  Later that day the purchasing person noticed that
> > > the PO was not closed so she went into Edit Purchase orders and closed the
> > > PO.  This created a batch (Financial batch) that tried to correct the over
> > > receipt of this item basically mimicking the return (without credit) done
> > > earlier.  Though an entry is made to the inventory of this item- no quanities
> > > were changed, however.
> > >
> > > 1) Double returning this item in the GL is wrong.
> > >
> > > Returns should be directly linked to receiving for PO's.  Closing PO should
> > > look at what was received and returned.  If matched invoices match what has
> > > been returned and received, there should be no extra GL batches created.
> > >
> > > ----------------
> > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
> > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> > > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=cbf6db26-0cb9-4e26-a63c-7afe9fbf4c9c&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
Rich (271)
11/9/2007 3:57:01 PM
Hi Rich

We just encountered this problem:

- 9,998 units were received in error against a PO, which had posted an entry
to the accrued receipts account and on the RNI report
- so to correct the error we recorded a "Return" (not with credit), for all
9998 units which reversed the accrual and showed on the RNI report
- however, this did not fix the PO. Total quanitity ordered was 10,000, 2
items were received/invoiced seperately, and the 9,998 items were still
showing as received. We still need to receive these items in the future, but
now can't because the line still shows as received.
- So in order to correct the PO, we closed that line, which then again
recorded a reversal of the accrued receipt. I deleted the entry before it
posted in the G/L, so the accounts seem correct (I hadn't read this at that
point in time)
- However, all of that still did not fix the PO as it still shows that
amount as available.

In the end we are closing the entire PO and entering a new one. We should
not have to do this. We use Business Portal to approve requisitions and the
enhanced PO approval process to approve the POs, so the chain is broken.

When will Dynamics have a fix for this problem????

"Rich" wrote:

> Well, I am trying to figure out this behavior and have found the following:
>
> PO Item --> Received --> Partially Invoiced --> Edit PO Status (close line)
> == EDTPO0000 created.
>
> PO Item --> Received --> Partially Invoiced --> Returned (remaining
> qty)-->Edit PO Status (close line) == PORET00000 Batch and EDTPO0000 created
> with same entries.
>
> PO Line -->Received --> NOT Invoiced --> Edit PO Status (close line) == No
> Batch.  I guess I need to do a PO Return to reverse these Items first, and
> then close the line.
>
> PO Item --> Received --> Returned -->Edit PO Status (close line) ==
> PORET00000 Batch created.
>
> PO Item --> Received --> Partially Returned-->Edit PO Status (close line) ==
> PORET0000 Batch for partially returned qty created and NO batch created for
> remaining qty through Edit PO Status.  I guess you will have to return the
> remaining qty in order to get reversing entries required before closing PO
> line.
>

> So, it looks like the EDTPO000000 Batch is only created when you have
> partially invoiced for an item and close the line using Edit PO Status!
>
> The short answer is this sucks!  I wish someone would post something telling
> me that the above is wrong...  or that this weird behavior will be fixed in
> the very next service patch, or GP10 (which would be a standard Microsoft
> answer).
>
> Help needed!!  Please don't say contact your VAR....  because we are VARy
> tired of getting big invoices from a VAR who doesn't do VARy much work for
> us. I wish Microsoft would get rid of the VAR philosophy, but then think of
> the Lexus and BMW dealerships that would go belly-up.
>
> I am in the process of cleaning up our RNI and trying to figure out a way
> for Purchasing and AP to keep it clean.  We currently have quite a few PO
> lines that have been received, (some partially invoiced) that need to be
> removed.  The items were either paid some other way (Credit Card), not
> matched, or just not correct, incorrect qtys.  To add to the confusion, we
> have a few PO Returns, that also dirty the water in RNI.(they still show up
> on match screen).  Has anyone found a fool proof method, other than moving to
> a new Purchasing System!
>

> "Rich" wrote:
>
> > OOPs spoke to soon.  PORET00000034 and EDTPO0000002 were both created and
> > have same credit/debit amounts....  So I am confused!
> >
> > "Rich" wrote:
> >
> > > I think the GL Batch was created by the Return Transaction... Not from the
> > > Edit PO Status.  I have recently done a simular transaction and the Return
> > > creates a GL batch, the Editing of the PO Line Status, (closed) just removes
> > > the line from the Match Screens and puts it in history.

0
sherry (98)
3/25/2008 5:11:06 PM
I AGREE!!!  This makes no sense.  Plus, when it does create the journal
entry, why is it posting to the inventory account but not affecting inventory
quantities???

"Sherry" wrote:

> [...]
> > us. I wish Microsoft would get rid of the VAR philosophy, but then think of
> > the Lexus and BMW dealerships that would go belly-up.
> >
> > I am in the process of cleaning up our RNI and trying to figure out a way
> > for Purchasing and AP to keep it clean.  We currently have quite a few PO
> > lines that have been received, (some partially invoiced) that need to be
> > removed.  The items were either paid some other way (Credit Card), not
> > matched, or just not correct, incorrect qtys.  To add to the confusion, we
> > have a few PO Returns, that also dirty the water in RNI.(they still show up
> > on match screen).  Has anyone found a fool proof method, other than moving to
> > a new Purchasing System!
> >

> > "Rich" wrote:
> >
> > > OOPs spoke to soon.  PORET00000034 and EDTPO0000002 were both created and
> > > have same credit/debit amounts....  So I am confused!

Elaine (442)

ThisWorkbook.Close question
Please take a look at the code below: Public Sub DumbFoo ( ) ThisWorkbook.Close() Sheet1.Range("A1").Value = -1 ThisWorkbook.Save() End Sub Is it safe to assume that the code below the "ThisWorkbook.Close()" line will NOT be executed??? My question is basically: Does all VBA code stop executing once a .Close() function is called??? Thank you! I don't believe the code would execute at all because of the parentheses after Close. It would throw an error an tell you that something is missing, or type mismatch. But, if you did...

Creating signatures for 100's users?
Are there any tools to create 100's of signatures for Outlook 2000 and 2003? And maybe using LDAP to get the infomation? ...

Duplicate messages with CC and email address already exists
Hi there Just upgraded to SBS2003 from 2000 and are experiencing a few problems with exchange and email address. I hope some one can help or point me in a direction. First problem is when an email from out side the domain is received with a CC of BCC the user who receives the email get the same message more than once (down to how many it is CC too). Second problem is when using active directory to assign users extra email address i get error messages saying that it is assign to another user. I have search through all the other users and cannot find the email address used any where el...

po with on order
hello does anyone have a po detail report that shows open po's with amount ordered on this po plus the total on order for the items this way when i run a po create based on reorder info i know what to order or not ex: item number - reorder no - qty to order - on order thanks If I understand you correctly .. When you generate a PO based on reorder info, on-orders are taken into account when calculating the amount to order to fill up to restock level. You do not have to manually adjust for them. Marc "hozay" <hozay@jmmpr.com> wrote in message news:B...

ActiveX component can't create object: Outlook 2000
Hi! I have office 2000 installed on my machine but not Outlook 2000. I do have outlook express 6 installed on my machine. I have created a dll to send Email using Outlook 2000 COM object (reference to MSOUTL9.olb from VB). I cannot remember what options I had chosen when I installed office 2000. This dll works fine on my machine. But fails to create outlook object on another machine which also has outlook express installed but not office. It gives ActiveX component can't create object error. When I created set up programme for my dll it had MSOUT9.olb file which is now present on my te...

How to Enable Close(cross) button of MB_YESNO messagebox
Hi, I want to enable the close(cross) button in the right corner of YESNO message box. Can anybody tell me how to do this. Klic. "Klic" <rohit.turambekar@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1186120969.045121.287770@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > I want to enable the close(cross) button in the right corner of YESNO > message box. > Can anybody tell me how to do this. Why? If there is a valid answer other than yes or no, then how about a yes/no/cancel message box in which (I would guess) the x button is equivalent to cancel. That would be more standard. Da...

Error creating EntryID (Exmerge)
Hi, since yesterday we have a big problem while extracting .pst files with exmerge... For all mailboxes comes this error in the exmerge log: [20:30:01] Error creating EntryID for '/O=TESLA/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=ZENTRALE' (GetMailboxInfoFromAB) [20:30:01] Error accessing directory object for '/O=TESLA/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=ZENTRALE'. Ignoring this mailbox. Does anybody know why this happen? Host is a windows smb 2003 with exchange 2003... which wasn�t be modificated the last days/weeks... Thanks in advance loers ...

Outlook closes and closes
Hi I have a strange bug. Windows XP Sp2 and outlook from office 20003 with all service packs applied. When I start outlook from windows out of standby postion, outlook immediately after the splash screen closes without reporting any errors in the eventlog or in any other log. If I start outlook the 10th time (or so) it stabilizes and does not close anymore and everything works again. info: My machine is fully patched and I am well known with keeping things healthy. Outlook.exe Version: 11.0.6353.0 Any ideas what to do? Thanks... try the detect and repair in the help menu. >----...

closing
What's the best way to close for the day? Making a backup is a given, but what about the computer? Is it better to shut everything off every day, or is it less wear and tear on the computer to leave it on all the time? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Craig That's a matter of preference really. Personally I always turn off my rigs at home when I'm done with them. At the store we leave most of ours on 24/7. We've done it for years with no issues. Our register must be left on as it does automatic backups to a tape drive every night. I'd set your monitors ...

Open file already open by other user
I have asked some of it already and I thought I had the answer but not really. I have a macro where I open a file that can be access by others.... If the file is already open by other user it asked me if I want to be notified or cancel but I do not want it to do it... I did try on error resume next open file... but it actually tell me file is open by others so it does not resume next... I need to open as read only without being told when it is already open by others or open as write if not being used by others... I did try the wb.ReadOnly but it will be useful only afte...

Link Items in Same Table
Ok so I have a table which contains contract numbers and associated data records. How do I create a table and populate it to store link information between selected records in the above table? Table structure Ac-id - PK autonumber Account ID Field Ct-code number Conract Number Ac-title text Contract description Ca-code text customer address So what I want to do is record any commonality between 2 or more records in the above table. For instance it may be that 2 or more contracts occur on the same site. So I need a mechanism to store the contract "links" and a...

Workflow Rule -> Closing Activity
I set up a Manual Workflow Rule for Contacts to close out Holiday Season cards sent. The rule uses a condition to check for Contacts with cards sent and then Creates an Activity to add to each of the appropriate Contacts for future reference. What else do I need to do to close out all of activites rather than 1 at a time? Here is the workflow rule if that helps: if Contact.holidaycardlist = 1 then Letter: Send Holiday Card endif -- Dan W Systems Engineer Denver, CO ...

Auto-close Quotes when Closing Opportunity
We would like the ability to close an opportunity and have it ask if you want to close all the associated quotes. Right now, it says you can’t close the opp until you close all the open quotes and you have to each one of those one by one. Barring that, if we could select multiple quotes and click on a menu item (Close all selected quotes), that would be most useful. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not ...

Modifying of PA PO Receiving Posting Journal Report
Hi, I want to modify this Project Purchase Receiving report I tried alot but I could not bcz this report is using temp tables and value fields as string1, string2.... in report body area and these string fields are displaying multiple lines. So how can i modify this repot in the below format as single line: Project# Cost Cat ID, Quantity, receipt date, Extend Price Your quick help will be greatly appreciated. -- Developer ...

Can't create a folder
I have a user that gets a message "can't create the folder" when trying to create a new folder in Outlook 2003. He can delete folders and can create folders in his archive email section, just not in his main email. We use Exchange 2003. I have set up his mail on another pc and can successfully create folders from the other computer. Any ideas? No one's ever heard of this and I can't find anything on the web. The only thing I can think of is maybe his profile is hosed.. steve.netzel <steve.netzel@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a user that gets a message "can&...

Help
When creating or fowarding an e-mail message using outlook 2000, scrolling through my "recipients" list (contacts) causes the program to close unexpectedly. So, I click "new", click "to", switch to my "contacts" list, and as I scroll through the names, the program just closes. Is there a possibility that one of my contact records is corrupt? I have opened all of my contacts and saved them without an error. This problem developed shortly after the install of Office 2000's calender update, and basic security update. I have since fully u...

Data file not closed properly #3
I saw several post regarding this, but none had any answers, so I starting a new post. There is also nothing in the KB about this. Since othe people are having the same problem Microsoft should take a look at it. I get the message "The data file 'Personal Folders" was not closed properly" every time I close Outlook 2003. It runs a quick check/fix and starts up fine. I am running XP pro w/ SP-2. Outlook 2003 w/ SP-1 All patches and updates are current. My notebook was just rebuilt for so I could get a clean slate for the office 2003 install, (reformat drive and new ins...

Batch Naming of ranges
Dear all, There are 80 sheets in my workbook. I want to name the ranges A1:B20 with systematic names in these 80 sheets, say, student_01 for Sheet1!A1:B20, student_02 for Sheet2!A1:B20, ..., student_80 for Sheet80!A1:B20. Can I name these ranges easily? Thanks. Best Regards, Andy Dim i As Long For i = 1 To 80 Worksheets("Sheet" & i).Range("A1:B20").Name = "student_" & Format(i, "00") Next i -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Andy Chan" <chankhandy-msnewsgroup...

Why do I have 2 "Sent Items" files in Outlook 2003?
This header is as close as I can come to my problem. I have 2 "sent Items" files in Outlook 2003. One contains material from 5-May-09 to 22-Dec-09. It is stored under the Inbox. The second has material from 5-May-09 to 13-Nov-09 and is in a folder of its own at the bottom of the list. Issues: Why does this occur? Does it have something to do with backup? How do I recombine them without creating duplicates (I don't have Access)? How do I prevent it from happening again? Thank you for your help and Seasons Greetings ...

Outlook2003 open and closed immediatly
I checked event log, nothing. And this happened when I just reboot my machine and first time tried to open Outlook, still same problem. But I found, when I double click anywhere in the Outlook Windows even it only gave me 0.5 second, then it won't close. Andy -------------------------------------------------------------- >>Look in task manager - processes, and see if multiple >>instances are running. If so, end all of them and try >>starting again. I had similar problem w/user, posted >>above. >>>>>-----Original Message----- >>>>>My O...

PO with Integration manager 10
When migrating a PO with IM, GP does not calculate the taxes, but if the PO is entered manually, it calculates the taxes. What is missing? Thanks! V=EDctor ...

Send email automaitcally when new case created
Hi! We are using CRM 3.0 in our support-organisation. We would like to send emails out automatically to the user when a new case is created. We already have several rules that we can choose from when we create a case and click on "Apply rule", then the case with case number and description is sent out to the customer. We now would like CRM to automatically open the current rules-window when we click on save(the case) so we can choose which one to use. Any help on this? An alternative to what you want is by having a new picklist attribute on the case form. The user selects what ...

creating intervals and calculating averages
Hello, I have a set of data looking like this: distance Deflection 0 1 2 3 5 2 11 7 14 6 19 15 23 8 etc. so basically the distance column is random and i have data points at these random distances. I am trying to average the deflection values over distances of 20 metres or so. to end up with something like distance deflection 0-20 5.67 20...

Outlook Closes After Closing an Email
When I click the 'X' to close an email after reading it, Outlook closes (or tries to close, but I get a warning because I have templates in my Outbox). This only seems to happen when I close a new email. I have Outlook 2003. Thank you. ...

YE Closing Procedures
The year end closing procedures need to be more efficient and user friendly. For example, the payables and receivable management is date sensitive except for amounts since last close, vendor yearly summary etc. These modules should be fully date sensitive and the ability to enter into multiple years without caveats should exist. Year end is stressful enough ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the b...