Client for 6.0 and 8.0

Newbie question:

I have a client running GP8.0 and they still have GP6.0 running just until
they are satisfied with the migration.

Is there a way to run both clients in tandem on the same system?

Thanks in advance.
0
kewltech (10)

Hi

You can only run one version if Great Plains to a SQL instance.

Best way to run two at the same time to to create separate SQL instance for
each Great Plains version  (bear in mind both versions will not communicate
to one another)

Regards

James

"kewltech" <kewltech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Newbie question:
>
> I have a client running GP8.0 and they still have GP6.0 running just until
> they are satisfied with the migration.
>
> Is there a way to run both clients in tandem on the same system?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Excellent!  Thanks James...but really I am still very green with GP,

So far I can see that it relies on the odbc systems dsn.

One step for me is to recreate an odbc to the other server running the old
6.0.

How do I create the instance to show in the 6.0 client?

I really apologize for such a basic question.  I am really new to GP.  And
yes they don't need to work so that one changes the other.  Simply need the
access for verification.

Thanks again.

"James" wrote:

> Hi
>
> You can only run one version if Great Plains to a SQL instance.
>
> Best way to run two at the same time to to create separate SQL instance for
> each Great Plains version  (bear in mind both versions will not communicate
> to one another)
>
> Regards
>
> James
>

> "kewltech" <kewltech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Newbie question:
> >
> > I have a client running GP8.0 and they still have GP6.0 running just until
> > they are satisfied with the migration.
> >
> > Is there a way to run both clients in tandem on the same system?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

0
kewltech (10)
2/3/2005 4:11:01 PM
Hi

You will have to install another SQL instance onto a server.  To do this you
will need to have the SQL installation CD (there is an option for you name a
SQL instance and make sure you chose the correct SQL collation
configuration)

You would need to create the databases in SQL and then do a restore of the
GP 6 databases.

Once done,  you would need to create a ODBC DSN for each GP database.

> Excellent!  Thanks James...but really I am still very green with GP,
>
> So far I can see that it relies on the odbc systems dsn.
>
> One step for me is to recreate an odbc to the other server running the old
> 6.0.
>
> How do I create the instance to show in the 6.0 client?
>
> I really apologize for such a basic question.  I am really new to GP.  And
> yes they don't need to work so that one changes the other.  Simply need
> the
> access for verification.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "James" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> You can only run one version if Great Plains to a SQL instance.
>>
>> Best way to run two at the same time to to create separate SQL instance
>> for
>> each Great Plains version  (bear in mind both versions will not
>> communicate
>> to one another)
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> James
>>

>> "kewltech" <kewltech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Newbie question:
>> >
>> > I have a client running GP8.0 and they still have GP6.0 running just
>> > until
>> > they are satisfied with the migration.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to run both clients in tandem on the same system?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.

Soap client
Hello. How could I consume Web services created using c# with soap client written on c++6.0 ? I can't use .net on client app. Thanks in advance. Look for the COM-based SOAP Toolkit on the MSDN download web site [0]. Check out the MSDN Library [1] for some articles on interoperability issues. -- HTH Christoph Schittko [MVP] Software Architect, .NET Mentor [0] http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/downloads/sample.asp?url=/msdn-files/027/001/948/msdncompositedoc.xml [1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/library "Ulan" <usametov@hotmail.com> wrote in messa...

Installing multiple Sales for Outlook clients
Is it possible to install multiple Sales for Outlook clients via script/msi upon user log on to network, or must all clents be installed MANUALLY? jorgen.b Jorgen Many have trid to figure this out but I have not heard of anyone having any success with automating the install of SFO. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On 18 Jan 2005 05:08:49 -0800, "jorgen.b" <lunarleaper@yahoo.com> wrote: Is it possible to install multiple Sales for Outlook clients via script/msi upon user log on to network, or ...

Urgent
Dear All, I was told that in 4.0 you can import multiple contacts to one account. I am trying to do that but i keep getting "lookup reference could not be resolved". I am trying to import data for a new compnay. Please reply urgently. The contact import lookup reference column to account would be either the value of the Account record's GUID (unique ID) or the Account Name For more details, check out this writeup on Import Manager: http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/03/07/importing-data-in-crm-4-0-made-easier.aspx Frank Lee, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP http://www.wor...

Office 2008 hanging under OS 10.6 SL
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have run the up daters for office 2008. There are no duplicate font issues. All disk permissions have been repaired. No matter which office program I open it hangs on the opening splash screen. Here is the log report: Date/Time: 2009-09-11 12:02:18 -0500 OS Version: 10.6.1 (Build 10B504) Architecture: x86_64 Report Version: 6 Command: Word Path: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Microsoft Word.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Word Version: 12.2.0 (12.2.0) Build Version: 0 Project Name: (null) Source Version: 90605...

HQ Client Server over VPN
In the HQ Client configuration, many of you state that the IP address should be entered for the remote server address in stead of server name. Which IP address is that when you are connecting from a laptop(HQ server) to PC inside the store (HQ client) over VPN? I could be accessing from home or Starbucks and the IP on the laptop changes. Also, since I connect to 2 stores, each store network assigns a different DHCP Ip to the laptop when connected via laptop. ...

Business Portal 4.0 install
The prerequisite checker tells me that .NET Framework v3.0 is not installed... but I know it has been installed (it's required for MOSS 2007). Can I just go ahead and install BP? You are fine. It's a bug in the checker. "check" <check@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA48A7BD-1537-4589-9389-2C7FFF19DDA8@microsoft.com... > The prerequisite checker tells me that .NET Framework v3.0 is not > installed... but I know it has been installed (it's required for MOSS > 2007). > Can I just go ahead and install BP? Thanks! "T"...

Block attachment size at Client
hi Is there anyway to limiting user using MS Outlook to attachment document which is more than 5MB? thanks "gbkhor" wrote in message news:OfmjM8pVIHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > > Is there anyway to limiting user using MS Outlook to attachment > document which is more than 5MB? Sure. As the mail admin, you should be able to configure what is the maximum size of your customer's e-mails. gbkhor <gbkhor@time.net.my> wrote: > Is there anyway to limiting user using MS Outlook to attachment > document which is more than 5MB? You may be able to ...

Adding Annotation Attachments in CRM 4.0
I have having a hard time figuring out how to upload a file to an annotation from code in CRM 4.0. It appears that the old UploadFromBase64 etc is no longer in the API. Any ideas? Thanks Nevermind, I figured it out. You just have to send the encoded file to the documentbody property. ...

Outlook 2003 not default MAPI client
I can't get Outlook 2003 set as my default MAPI client. I have answered "yes" when Outlook asks me if I want it to be the default email program, and I have set Outlook as the email program in Internet Explorer (under Tools|Internet Options|Programs). But still, when I click on a link in a browser windows such as someone@microsoft.com, up pops Outlook Express asking if I want it to be the default program. How can I set things so that when I click an email link, I get Outlook 2003, not Outlook Express? Many thanks for your help! Check the file associations for URL:MailTo Proto...

Custom Weighting in IMF gives 0 SCL rating
I have a custom weighting XML file set up for the Exchange 2003 IMF filter. The subject I have asked the file to change to max are recognized, but the system is changing the SCL to 0 instead of the max of 9, so the junk mail ends up in inboxes instead of in junk e-mail folders. Any idea what might be causing this problem? The file is MSExchange.UceContentFilter.xml, and is being saved in the unicode format. Every junk message that there is an entry for in this file gets an SCL rating of 0. Thanks! ~Kyle Furthermore I should add, that junk messages that do not match entries in th...

Installing RMS SP2 on W2K domain controller & clients
Just wanted to know in advance if this is ok. The RMS SP2 directions are very general re: computers, so I assume it doesnt matter, but our server install of RMS is running on a W2Ksp4 DC, with SQL ServerSP2. Dont want to break anything, so any insights are appreciated. The desktops are either XPsp1A or W2K sp3 /sp4. XPsp2 still is causing others hedaches, and really dont want to deal with it right now, have not installed it yet. Thanks Also, our server install is in a data path E:\PROG FILES\MSFT RMS\ETC, not on the C: partition. Is this an issue? I have read the post below re: 10 st...

Unable to sort on customer CRM 4.0

4.0 Client Config error
The Client config returns an error with this in the server log; Exception information: Exception type: HttpParseException Exception message: Could not create type 'Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.Crm2007.CrmDiscoveryServiceAD'. Request information: Request URL: http://toshiba2002:5555/MSCRMServices/2007/AD/CrmDiscoveryService.asmx Request path: /MSCRMServices/2007/AD/CrmDiscoveryService.asmx The web client works OK, and I also get this same error when I try to connect the DMManager. The Server is SBE. Any ideas? -- Thanx Grizz Dear see this http://support.micros...

Outlook Client: Syncronise other peoples calendars
Hi, Is it possible to let the Outlook client bring in other peoples appointments in CRM. We want all our sales team to see all appointments in Outlook, We this to happen by default rather than having to add attendees each time. -- Thanks in advance Chris ...

MSCRM 3.0 Emails Not Sent from Laptop Client.. Works from Web Client
I'm attempting to chase down an issue with e-mail here. For some reason, our users using the Laptop client are experiencing an issue where after sending an e-mail through the E-Mail Activity, the e-mail appears properly in the History window, but the recipients never receive the message. >From the web client, this works without issue. I tested using both clients sending an e-mail activity to myself at both my internal corporate e-mail address and to my Gmail address. Both the e-mails from the web client arrived in their respective inboxes, the 2 sent from the laptop client did not. ...

Client Server using TCP/IP
Hi there... I want to write a small utility. It should be front- and backend running on different machines. I don't want to handle error correction or timeouts by myself. Communication is TCP/IP. How could I easyly do the communication? CSocket or something else. Thanks in advance Stefan "Stefan Kittel" <stefan.doofnase.kittel.NoSpam@web.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OFsMb9ijFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi there... > > I want to write a small utility. > It should be front- and backend running on different machines. > > I don't want to...

Message Submitted to Advanced Queuing for 8 days
Hi all, we have exchange 2003 SP2 Frontend/Backend Topology One user receives one external message 8 days later: Here is the track log on the frontend server; 6/23/2010 3:15 AM SMTP: Message Submitted to Advanced Queuing 6/23/2010 3:15 AM SMTP: Started Message Submission to Advanced Queue 6/24/2010 3:03 AM SMTP: Message Submitted to Advanced Queuing 6/24/2010 3:03 AM SMTP: Started Message Submission to Advanced Queue 6/28/2010 3:03 AM SMTP: Message Submitted to Advanced Queuing 6/28/2010 3:03 AM SMTP: Started Message Submission to Advanced Queue 6/30/2010 3:04 AM SMTP: Messag...

turning off EDC in RMS 2.0
What am I missing? I'm changing to a merchant service that is not a preferred provide in RMS and who provides a separate, dedicated terminal. I've tried to turn off EDC in SO Aministrator and Store Ops (Tender types, verify). However, I'm still getting a dialog box requesting the card swipe after I enter the amount in the tender fields. Am I missing something? A checkmark? or is this a logic issue for me? How does one do this? Change the Tender Type to "Other" in the tender type properties window. "Jennifer" wrote: > What am I missing? I'...

Outlook Laptop Client not functioning while other client working f
I have a new CRM3.0 Professional installation. Single server on win2k3 with sql 2000 with all service packs and patches. Multiple Windows XP Professional domain PCs also up to date on SP and patches. Runs under the Network Service account All of them are exhibiting the same behavior: The Web Client works flawlessly The Outlook Desktop (online) client works flawlessly The Outlook Laptop (offline/online) client doesnt. What happens is that when you start outlook with the laptop client you get a CRM login prompt. At that login prompt, I have tried SHORTDOMAIN\user user and user@DOMAIN.COM .....

Add a REAL Outlook Client (rich client)
I believe MSFT is missing the boat on the implmenting a web only CRM solution. With the richness and market share of MS Outlook, using this product is slow, cumbersome, an frustrating compared to using Outlook applications. I know that if Microsoft could offer a rich/smart client version of CRM that has the rich UI like the rest of Outlook there would be no stopping it. The current product requires many clicks to accomplish a single task, let alone a series of task such as acting on a scheduled call activity, you need to: 1. Look up activity 2. click on the activity to view it 3. ...

locate outlook express 6 in windows 2000
Previously I used outlook express 6 for my e-mail and was able to access outlook express by clicking on it in the menu on the left of the page. However, now I am getting only outlook express and do not know how to get express 6 and mke it my default e-mail. How can I open outlook express 6 first? ...

Client Protection Path selection
I've just started using the RC of DPM 2010 and I am really impressed.. I looked at the first release of DPM years ago and found it took more management time than our old Backup solution, but so far this week I have been able to backup all my servers with only a few teething problems (read my lack of reading the manual)... One question I have relates to Client Protection... in the dialog asking for what directories to include/exclude there is a list of common directories, is there a list of what physically directories are included in each of these groups... I could of cours...

Outlook 2002 client #3
I have a 2002 pop client that receives a server time out error when trying to send an original email. All the account tests come back as completed and I receive the test email. It will forward and reply with no problem. Any suggestions? ...

ActiveX custom properties not browsed by clients
Hi All, I've an ActiveX control in ATL which has a few properties; one stock and two custom. I host the control into MS Excel and then from the context menu [on the control] hit Properties option, Excel's Properties browser opens. My problem is that for some reason the custom properties are not listed in that window but the stock property is. Do you know how to make a custom property appear in such a browser. [Note that the Property Pages are working OK; the problem is in Excel's own Properties browser.] The property map looks like this; BEGIN_PROP_MAP(CMyControl) .... PRO...

Outlook Client Cannot Authenticate to Exchange Server 2000
Hi All, I'm having a connection problem to my exchange server from my outlook. I have noticed, someone else got this same issue on one of the forum, but without a solution. Here's my problem in detail. I (user1) have Windows XP pro with SP1, I can authenticated to my domain without any problem. When Outlook XP is launched, the system prompts for the user id. I key the username and password, and the system responds that the logon information is incorrect, check the username, password or domain. This occurs on any id entered, including the administrator. I have not found anything that...